T20 World Cup: Ajay Jadeja (former India star) slams BCCI's decision to appoint MS Dhoni as mentor

OMB

First Class Captain
Runs
Ajay Jadeja noted that Team India skipper Virat Kohli had already played a lot of matches under MS Dhoni's leadership.

Former India batsman Ajay Jadeja has slammed the BCCI for appointing ex-skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni as a mentor to Team India for upcoming T20 World Cup in UAE and said that he he has been left “surprised” by BCCI’s decision. Jadeja has been finding it “impossible to understand” this decision by BCCI.

Jadeja noted that Team India skipper Virat Kohli had already played a lot of matches under Dhoni's leadership and it was not necessary to appoint Dhoni as the mentor of T20 side.

“It is impossible for me to understand. I am thinking for two days about what could be the thinking. I am not talking of MS Dhoni, the understanding he has or how useful he can be, I am not going towards that. It was like you sent Ravindra ahead of Ajinkya, the person thinks why it has been done,” Ajay Jadeja said.

“I am surprised. There is no fan bigger than me of MS Dhoni. I believe MS Dhoni was the first captain who made the next captain before leaving or they used to always keep changing whenever they wanted,” he added.

Raising questions over BCCI's decision, Ajay Jadeja said that it seems that the selectors don’t have complete faith in leadership of Kohli and Ravi Shastri.

“When you made and left and that player has taken that team to a different level, there is a coach who has taken the team to World No.1, what happened overnight that a mentor was required? That thinking is surprising me a little. The Indian cricket I am seeing is working in a different way. Dhoni used to run it one way, he used to play the spinners, he never used to play four fast bowlers. What happened for Indian cricket in England was the doing of four pacers. One person thinks one way, the other thinks some other way, probably it is an attempt to merge the two,” the former batsman concluded.

India is set to clash with Pakistan for their opening encounter of T20 World Cup on October 24 in Dubai. The Men In Blue will then meet New Zealand, Afghanistan, and two other teams from the qualifiers in the Super 12 stage.

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/report-t20-world-cup-ajay-jadeja-slams-bcci-decision-to-appoint-ms-dhoni-as-mentor-virat-kohli-ravi-shastri-2910736

BCCI cannot detach themselves of Dhoni the way PCB cannot detach themselves of Misbah

Surely a good thing to have him as a mentor?

However I wonder if Kohli feels they need him there?

Surely a good thing to have him as a mentor?

However I wonder if Kohli feels they need him there?

Kohli will love to have Dhoni but Rohit Sharma will not be happy. There were reports that Rohit was not happy with Dhoni's continued selection till 2019 WC and thats why Rohit left England on hos won after semi final defeat

If Kohli is such a great captain why does he need Dhoni. Imo Dhoni was a great defensive limited overs captain but he was a poor test captain.

A lot of players who played under him ie Jadeja, Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma, Mohd Shami realized their true potential once Kohli instilled his aggressive instincts on the team.

Too many cooks spoil the broth

The way I want India to play is fearlessly, and in a unifying way. Dhoni is the antithesis of an old rotten system who is regressive, corrupt, political and a very selfish dog-eat-dog kind of a person. I dont want cool, I dont want to play the game till the last ball & then score, i dont want a half baked helicopter shot, what we want is ethical & ruthless - effective & convincing.

Cricket is Indias only remaining bastion, where we can be a superpower - so You hear me Dhoni - stay out , just stay out of it, your not welcome.

If this is the case, surely this is all that matters?

Kohli loves Dhoni but not sure their styles match. Kohli is more attacking in nature while Dhoni is defensive

Plus not sure how this will work out with Ravi Shastri & Rohit Sharma. They might now appreciate the appointment

Kohli will love to have Dhoni but Rohit Sharma will not be happy. There were reports that Rohit was not happy with Dhoni's continued selection till 2019 WC and thats why Rohit left England on hos won after semi final defeat

That's rubbish. Please post a source to back this. :inti

There are lot of rumours of politics

Basically BCCI is divided over Kolhi. One faction wants him out , while the other wants him to continue as captain. This world T20 is probably last chance for Kohli. If he does not win - he will get sacked as captain. So the Pro Kohli faction in BCCI is doing everything possible. This Dhoni move is possibly bcoz of that

Dhoni's appointment wouldn't have come without Kohli, Rohit and Shastri's nod. I don't know if this has something to do with Shastri leaving the team post WT20 and sort of an audition for Dhoni to take the reigns after he goes (at least for limited overs) or it's just a one off.

Having Dhoni won't hurt. The guy is revered by all of the current side, and with Dhoni the kind of player, captain he was, he won't butt-in where not required.

If Kohli is such a great captain why does he need Dhoni. Imo Dhoni was a great defensive limited overs captain but he was a poor test captain.

A lot of players who played under him ie Jadeja, Rohit Sharma, Ishant Sharma, Mohd Shami realized their true potential once Kohli instilled his aggressive instincts on the team.

Too many cooks spoil the broth

Kohli is not a great captain but to his credit he has a very attacking mindset. always goes for a win. Look at Lords test. He set England a challenging target to chase. Dhoni wud never do that. He always played safe - sometimes to ridiculous extents. He once set New Zealand a target of 650 in the 4th innings to chase !!!

Dhoni's appointment wouldn't have come without Kohli, Rohit and Shastri's nod. I don't know if this has something to do with Shastri leaving the team post WT20 and sort of an audition for Dhoni to take the reigns after he goes (at least for limited overs) or it's just a one off.

Having Dhoni won't hurt. The guy is revered by all of the current side, and with Dhoni the kind of player, captain he was, he won't butt-in where not required.

I really dont want Dhoni in that dressing room. He will bring back those medium pacers & Kedar Jadhavs :p

Kohli is not a great captain but to his credit he has a very attacking mindset. always goes for a win. Look at Lords test. He set England a challenging target to chase. Dhoni wud never do that. He always played safe - sometimes to ridiculous extents. He once set New Zealand a target of 650 in the 4th innings to chase !!!

Dhoni better in LOIs,Kohli better in Tests.

What has Dhoni done to be unworthy of being a mentor! Who should it be then Ajay? Amitabh Bachchan!!:shhh

Interesting.

I guess whoever a team has as mentor there will always be winners and losers - players who will be in favour of the mentor and those who won't like his presence.

Even if Pakistan went for a mentor, I'm sure there would be some players who won't like the mentor.

Interesting.

I guess whoever a team has as mentor there will always be winners and losers - players who will be in favour of the mentor and those who won't like his presence.

Even if Pakistan went for a mentor, I'm sure there would be some players who won't like the mentor.

What exactly is a mentor supposed to do which a manager cannot ?

This is in a way undermining the authority of Ravi Shastri

What exactly is a mentor supposed to do which a manager cannot ?

This is in a way undermining the authority of Ravi Shastri

It seems to be a modern thing which started from T20 Leagues, where former players sit in the dugouts as role-models for the current players.

I don't think they get involved in the coaching aspects.

Simple - We’ve had enough of Dhoni. Kohli & Rohit should step up the game, hire analytics from the US, and share responsibility. No need of mentor/mentee, all this is for sissies.

Return of Dhoni, the untold story: A captain who needs mentoring, another waiting in the wings

The scanner on Kohli the captain comes when the India team is witnessing a churn. The contract of head coach Ravi Shastri and his support staff ends after the World T20 and it’s unlikely to be renewed.

On the final day of the Oval Test, among the Englishmen blown away by Virat Kohli were a couple of commentators. Nasser Hussain declared that the Indian skipper had passed his big captaincy test “with flying colours”. Michael Vaughan, another former captain and a social media influencer, called Kohli “an amazing character” who gave “a tactical masterclass on how to win a Test match”.

Exactly 48 hours later, the BCCI, in a subtle nudge to the captain with a dismal record at ICC events, would designate M S Dhoni as the mentor for next month’s WorldT20. This would be the first official acknowledgement of sorts by the Indian board that the country’s greatest batsman was not quite the greatest leader.

In the past too, there have been lateral entries to the Indian team set-up — Rahul Dravid was batting consultant on the 2014 England tour — but the inclusion of a Dhoni-like mentor, an active IPL player, was a first. Besides the obvious conflict-of-interest red flag, the timing of the appointment had a layer of intrigue.

The scanner on Kohli the captain comes when the India team is witnessing a churn. The contract of head coach Ravi Shastri and his support staff ends after the World T20 and it’s unlikely to be renewed. Plus, unlike in the past, India now has an alternative captain with worthy credentials.

On this England tour, Rohit Sharma’s success as a Test opener embellished his image as an all-format, all-condition player. His enhanced stature was underlined by his prominent role in negotiations with the board over the cancellation of the Manchester Test. Moreover, Mumbai Indians’ overwhelming superiority over Royal Challengers Bangalore is a trivia that can tempt the BCCI to look beyond Kohli.

So will Rohit replace Virat in case India fails to win the World T20? Like most things in the ever-changing BCCI dynamics, this is a multiple choice question with Yes, No, Maybe options.

Before answering the question, a look at Dhoni’s role. Going by the word on the Indian cricket circuit, the one-time crisis manager of Indian cricket is an “officer on a very specific duty”. Too unconventional to be a batting guru, way too important to be drafted as a mere wicket-keeping coach, the country’s most-decorated white-ball captain ever is to hand-hold Kohli, help him win his first ICC Cup. Dhoni, for all practical purposes, is a captaincy coach. His sparkling CV makes him the most suited for the job.

India’s last big white-ball triumph was in 2013, when Dhoni lifted the Champions Trophy. Add the 2011 World Cup and 2007 WorldT20 to his name and Captain Cool’s cricketing Grand Slam is complete.

“No one can guide this Indian team better than Dhoni. He has plenty of experience and the players trust him a lot. Jay (Shah) felt that Dhoni is the only person who can help the team during the T20 World Cup, so he dialled him,” says a BCCI insider. The “only person” bit being a couched critique of the captain who is yet to win an IPL title.

This chorus has been growing. For some time now, discussions about Kohli’s captaincy have gone beyond the office water-cooler. Even the host broadcaster between their staple King Kohli shows find time to question puzzling team selection and debatable tactics. Sir Vivian Richards might have Kohli as his heir apparent but no one seems to have sighted shades of Mike Brearley in world cricket’s poster-boy.

Historically, all successful sporting teams have a core group of regulars, but not this one. Virtually every player to play under Kohli has been dropped from the playing XI at least once. No senior has been sure of his place in the side, rarely has there been a captaincy contender.

Insecurity has rarely been drip-irrigated like this before, perhaps. The churlish whispers about intent of batsmen after losing the WTC final to New Zealand had stemmed from the captain himself. Kohli, of course, later rubbished it as “outside noise”.

When Rohit played the IPL 2020 final in a cloud of injury, much angst swirled from “team management sources”. Once again, it got labelled as outside noise. In March, asked about Ashwin’s T20 future, Kohli had snapped: “The question has to have logic.” Months later, Ashwin is in the team. Along with the presence of Dhoni, it does seem the invisible hands of power are slowly trying to wrest control.

During Kohli’s 7-year reign, India has had one path-breaking first-ever Test series win in Australia and a lengthy streak of home domination. In this long period of stability, BCCI failed in its institutional responsibility to put in place a succession plan. Unlike any time in Indian cricket, Kohli remained Indian cricket’s unrivalled ruler. He got what he wanted — read Anil Kumble out, Ravi Shastri in.

Things changed at the start of this year, when Ajinkya Rahane, while Kohli was on paternity leave, pulled off Brisbane. More Kane Williamson than Kohli, India under the less-expressive Rahane showed never-seen-before resilience and intensity. A few myths were shattered. Former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi said Rahane reminded him of Tiger Pataudi.

Once Kohli returned, Rahane’s batting form nose-dived, he got relegated to the background. From an inspirational captain in Australia, by the end of England tour, he was a vice-captain struggling to justify his place in the side.

The plummeting of Rahane’s stock coincided with Rohit’s coming-of-age series in England, making him the designated captain in waiting. Suddenly, there was buzz in the dressing room about a change at the top.

History shows not all palace intrigue ends in coronation. The uprooting of an icon like Kohli will not be easy. There are a few Rohit-sceptics in the BCCI. “He is 34 so can’t be a long-term solution, say like Kohli was when he took over from Dhoni. He has fitness issues also. But that’s my personal view. If we don’t win ICC events, we need to collectively think. Maybe someone younger or maybe Rohit as a stop-gap,” said a board official.

Before the final day at The Oval, when the captaincy narrative suddenly changed, Kohli and his batting were being brutally scrutinised. In those final few hours of the fourth Test, with each England wicket falling during the dramatic collapse, the pressure was getting lifted off the captain.

But did India win because of a leadership masterclass? No one, not even the pitch, can be credited for Jasprit Bumrah’s two reverse-swinging unplayable game-changing balls. As for the other final-day hero Jadeja, like always, the only assistance he needed was a rough on the pitch.

The two key England wickets, Dawid Malan and Joe Root, were a stroke of luck. India’s think tank couldn’t have set a field to get Malan run-out nor could there be a plan in place to get the in-form Root played-on with a Shardul Thakur innocuous outside-the-off-stump gentle loosener.

However, Kohli’s in-your-face celebration, his frenzied solo war dance around the relatively muted India huddle, made him central to the narrative. Those sore points about his captaincy — R Ashwin warming the bench for four straight Test matches in England, the perpetual confusion of the team to show aggressive intent or to pursue Test-match batting — were no longer part of post-match discussions.

An India win under Kohli makes you feel dizzy, throws you in a trance.

For England’s cricket pundit, dealing with the angst of missing cricketers with charisma from the time Sir Ian Botham was called just Beefy, Kohli’s bluster made him an inspirational leader. But for those more invested in India cricket, he remained a captain who needed a handler.

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...ntold-story-virat-kohli-rohit-sharma-7503424/

Cricketing expert Butt also chiming in :
There is a dirty game going on against Virat Kohli, feels former Pakistan captain Salman Butt
Salman Butt said with a successful Test series in England and a crucial T20 World Cup looming, this is not the time to rake up the captaincy debate.

NEW DELHI: Following reports that the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) was unhappy with some of Virat Kohli's decisions during the World Test Championship (WTC) final, former Pakistan captain Salman Butt said that the Indian skipper is being made a target of a "dirty game".

Butt was responding to a recent news report that also claimed that Virat could be asked to make way for Rohit Sharma as captain if Team India fails to perform well in the ICC World T20. The former Pakistan captain further said with a successful Test series in England and a crucial T20 World Cup looming, this is not the time to rake up the captaincy debate.

"Do you see the timing of this news? I don't have a problem with what the board thinks, it's about their own evaluation of who can take their cricket forward... but is this the time to discuss these things? Now there's talk of Virat Kohli's captaincy being on the danger line," Butt said in a video on his YouTube channel.

"He's (Virat) recently played a series in England, led his team really well, he was being criticised for his team selections but he's constantly backing his team and in turn the team is responding to him and playing good cricket... the team is at the top in every format and the World Cup is right up front, so such news surfacing in the media is nothing but a dirty game."

Asked about comparing the white-ball trophies won by Kohli and Rohit, Butt said the latter is a very good captain but the former, too, has a decent win percentage across formats.

"I have said this before, Rohit Sharma is a very good captain, very successful, but this is not the time to talk about these things... Trophies matter, I agree but see the percentage of the games he has won and how successful he has been around the world. I think this is not the time and the guy has done a lot of good to Indian cricket. This news resurfacing is nothing but bad intent which shouldn't happen."

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sp...mer-pakistan-captain-salman-butt-2357728.html

A fairy tale ending to this IPL for Kohli would be RCB beating both MI and CSK to win the IPL. This will shut all of his detractors and no one will question him about his captaincy.

But can he.... win it?

Dubai: The news of former India skipper MS Dhoni making a comeback to the side in some capacity brought huge joy to fans. BCCI made the announcement that Dhoni would be part of the squad as a mentor for the upcoming T20 World Cup. Now, we get to understand the reason behind the decision taken by the Indian cricket board. A BCCI source on anonymity told TOI that Dhoni’s presence in the dugout would help the side strategize better.Also Read - Will Rahul Dravid Replace Ravi Shastri as Team India Head Coach? BCCI President Sourav Ganguly Gives Update

“MS has come as mentor because his mere presence in the dugout will help the team strategize better. When you have such resources at your disposal, why not use them at the opportune moment,” The Times of India quoted BCCI sources as saying. Also Read - Rohit Sharma to Replace Virat Kohli as Limited Overs Captain After T20 World Cup: Report

Dhoni, with his experience, is bound to add value to the side from the dugout. Apart from winning titles for CSK as a leader, Dhoni had also led the side in the inaugural ICC World T20 which was his first-ever assignment as captain. In the following years, he led the side to two more major ICC Trophies – ODI WC in 2011 and Champions Trophy in 2013 – all in the space of five years.

The 40-year-old, however, continues to play in the Indian Premier League where he is the captain of the Chennai Super Kings. Dhoni will be seen leading the side in the second leg of the IPL 2021 set to begin on September 19.

India will face Pakistan in their first group league encounter in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup on the 24th of October to be played in the Dubai International Cricket Stadium.

After opening its campaign against Pakistan, India will face New Zealand and Afghanistan on the 31st of October and 3rd of November respectively.

https://www.india.com/sports/reason...hli-led-team-india-for-t20-world-cup-4953384/

A fairy tale ending to this IPL for Kohli would be RCB beating both MI and CSK to win the IPL. This will shut all of his detractors and no one will question him about his captaincy.

But can he.... win it?

There is higher probability that I will got to Mars than Kohli winning IPL this year :p

So that is Ajay Jadeja?

Convicted of matchfixing, whose verdict was only ever overturned in a court but never in cricket.

That Ajay Jadeja?

So that is Ajay Jadeja?

Convicted of matchfixing, whose verdict was only ever overturned in a court but never in cricket.

That Ajay Jadeja?

Yes same Ajay Jadeja that was never allowed back in Indian cricket.

And then we have teams...who brings back fixers regularly. That team?

BCCI cannot detach themselves of Dhoni the way PCB cannot detach themselves of Misbah

Cricket achievements, game awareness and captaincy skills wise, Dhoni was light years ahead of Misbah, so BCCI has some justification to rely on Dhoni’s experience to act as a Think Tank and craft a winning strategy in the dressing room with the team, while Misbah would keep talking thru his nose.

Last edited:
So that is Ajay Jadeja?

That Ajay Jadeja?

Yes. Personal opinion..He should be staying away from media. because he is just so boring. and he can learn from Shoaib Akhtar and Warne on how better to cause a stir

Yes same Ajay Jadeja that was never allowed back in Indian cricket.

And then we have teams...who brings back fixers regularly. That team?

be ready to know Amir and Asif were scapegoated and others are guilty because it is written in some book

'Mastermind' MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli will do wonders for India at the T20 World Cup: MSK Prasad

MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli (TOI Photo)
......................................................................................
NEW DELHI: Former chairman of selectorMSK Prasad feels Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who has been brought on board as mentor of the Indian team for the T20 World cup, will strengthen the Indian team and give a big boost to Virat Kohli who is eyeing his maiden ICC trophy as captain.

Prasad, who represented India in 6 Tests and 17 ODIs, also said India will be missing their T20I star spinner Yuzvendra Chahal who has not been considered for the mega tournament. Chahal, who is India's highest wicket-taker (63 wickets in 49 matches) in the shortest format of the game, has not been picked for the competition in the squad that has been announced. Some changes might still be on the cards, with the deadline for the squads to be submitted to the ICC being October 15.

The T20 World Cup gets underway from October 17 in the UAE and Oman and India will kick off their campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan at the Dubai International Stadium on October 24. The Super 12s round begins from October 23.
TimesofIndia.com caught up with MSK Prasad to talk about team selection, Chahal and Shikhar Dhawan's omission, the Ashwin-Jadeja pair coming together again in limited overs cricket, Dhoni the mentor, and much more.

Your take on India's World T20 squad that has been announced...
Considering the number of matches we are going to play in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, I feel that we are one fast bowler short. These pitches are more conducive to fast bowling than spinners. Having five spinners into the squad is little on a higher side. You hardly play one or two spinners on these tracks. I feel that one more seamer should have been there in the squad. Because Hardik Pandya is also not bowling off
late in the IPL games.

Rahul Chahar's inclusion over Yuzvendra Chahal raised many eyebrows. Your take on that...
Yes, it is a little unfortunate that Chahal is missing in this T20 squad. At the time of selection, the selectors preferred form over selection. (Rahul) Chahar was considered over Chahal because of his form. There is no doubt that Chahal is one of our premier T20 bowlers and has taken more wickets than
anyone else in the T20I format. It is really unfortunate that he is missing out on the World Cup squad. We will definitely miss the services of Chahal.

Not just Chahal, Shikhar Dhawan's omission also became a talking point...
I don't know the reasons (for that) well. I can't say that he was rested. But he is a very good player in ICC tournaments. He has scored a good amount of runs in ICC events. He has always been phenomenal. If you ask me one person for whom I feel (bad) is Shikhar Dhawan. It is a little unfortunate
that Shikhar misses out because the formidable pair he has formed with Rohit Sharma, especially in ICC tournaments, has been phenomenal.

The pair of Ravindra Jadeja and R Ashwin is back in limited overs cricket. Ashwin hasn't played limited-overs cricket for a long time. His experience should benefit the Indian team in the T20 WC...
Washington Sundar was preferred as a first-choice offspinner in T20 cricket for the last 2-3 years. And he was groomed for that. He was being prepared for that slot. Now that he is not there, the selectors have fallen back on experience. Ashwin has been doing really well in the last two seasons of IPL. This was the top reason that he managed to convince the selectors. Ashwin can come in handy against left-handers.

MS Dhoni has been appointed as mentor of the Indian team for the T20 World Cup. In your opinion, how will the team benefit from Dhoni?
They (BCCI) have done a good job. I respect the decision of selectors, BCCI management, and the Indian team. This is a giant and excellent step making Dhoni the mentor of the Indian team. It was a collective decision to have MSD as a mentor. Someone who has played more than 200 IPL games, someone who led India to the 2007 World T20 glory, someone who guided India to the 2011 World Cup win, so it's
a brilliant decision. I respect this decision and am very happy about it. They couldn't have chosen a better person as a mentor than Dhoni.
It's a wonderful decision taken by the BCCI. Virat always had good chemistry with Dhoni and Ravi (Shastri). It's going to be a wonderful tournament for Virat with Dhoni and Shastri together. Virat has played a lot of cricket under MSD. He has been doing a wonderful job with Shastri as the coach.
Reaching the World Test Championship final and beating Australia in Australia twice, the Indian team has done things wonderfully under Ravi's coaching and Virat's captaincy.
They (Indian team) have dominated cricket. Dhoni is a mastermind and he will strengthen the Indian team. His addition as mentor will add value to the team and give a boost to captain Virat.

MS Dhoni's support will also be vital for Virat Kohli who is chasing his maiden ICC trophy as captain...
What happens behind the doors is very very important. The strategy, homework, discussions, and planning will be done. the way classwork is done. So, someone like MSD being part of that homework and strategy will surely add value and strengthen the team to a greater extent. As I said he is a mastermind. He and Virat will do wonders for India in the Dhoni has handled plenty of such situations and plenty of
such games in his career, not only for the country but for CSK too. More importantly, Virat has got such respect for MSD. He adores him. Virat has got good chemistry with Ravi and MSD, so things are looking wonderful and well in place.

India will kick off their campaign vs Pakistan. That of course will be a marquee clash, but overall how would you rate India's title chances in the T20 World Cup this time?
It all depends on the playing eleven they will pick for the matches. It's really a good thing that both SKY (Suryakumar Yadav) and Ishan Kishan are back in form. It is a good sign for us. We were concerned about the form of these players.
Bhuvi also bowled well in the last couple of games in the IPL. I am sure India are going to do well.

Ravi Shastri's tenure as Head coach will come to an end after the T20 World Cup. Your take on the possibility of MS Dhoni being a future India coach...
I would definitely feel that going forward it should be Rahul Dravid and MS Dhoni. Rahul more as a coach and MS as a mentor. Dhoni and Rahul in the Indian team will be a fantastic thing to watch out for post-Ravi Shastri's era.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/icc-mens-t20-world-cup/mastermind-ms-dhoni-and-virat-kohli-will-do-wonders-for-india-at-the-t20-world-cup-msk-prasad/articleshow/86931947.cms

Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Jay Shah on Tuesday said that MS Dhoni is not charging for his role as mentor of the Indian cricket team at the T20 World Cup, starting October 17 in Oman and The UAE.

Jay Shah said that the BCCI is grateful for MS Dhoni as the former captain agreed to serve the team during the World Cup. The BCCI had roped in the services of the former India captain for only the T20 world Cup as the board secretary announced the unforeseen decision when the squad was announced last month.

"MS Dhoni is not charging any honorarium for his services as the mentor of the Indian team for the T20 World Cup," Jay Shah said, as quoted by ANI. Shah added that he is grateful to Dhoni for the said gesture.

MS Dhoni, who led India to glory in the inaugural edition of the T20 World Cup in 2007, retired from international cricket in August 2020. However, the 40-year-old has continued to play for Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League.

Dhoni is in the UAE with CSK and will join the Indian team following the completion of IPL 2021. Dhoni has led CSK to their 9th IPL final as he helped the 3-time champions bounce back from the horrors of UAE in 2020.

Earlier, India Today reported that it was Jay Shah who had thought of making use of MS Dhoni's experience as early as two months before the announcement was made. Shah had a virtual interaction with Dhoni, offering him the opportunity to work with the Indian team as a mentor in the UAE.

Dhoni agreed to the proposal after he received clarity about the role at the T20 World Cup.

Jay Shah then approached captain Virat Kohli and vice-captain Rohit Sharma who agreed to the proposal.

The BCCI secretary then spoke to India's head coach Ravi Shastri, for whom the T20 World Cup will be the last assignment. Shah told the former India captain that MS Dhoni will be traveling as mentor and would assume a similar role with equal responsibility.

India will begin their T20 World Cup campaign under Virat Kohli's captaincy against Pakistan in Dubai on October 24. They will also face New Zealand, Afghanistan and two more teams from the qualifying stages in Group 2 of the Super 12 stage

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...ys-bcci-secretary-jay-shah-1864008-2021-10-12

Last edited by a moderator:
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Jay Shah on Tuesday said that MS Dhoni is not charging for his role as mentor of the Indian cricket team at the T20 World Cup, starting October 17 in Oman and The UAE.

Jay Shah said that the BCCI is grateful for MS Dhoni as the former captain agreed to serve the team during the World Cup. The BCCI had roped in the services of the former India captain for only the T20 world Cup as the board secretary announced the unforeseen decision when the squad was announced last month.

"MS Dhoni is not charging any honorarium for his services as the mentor of the Indian team for the T20 World Cup," Jay Shah said, as quoted by ANI. Shah added that he is grateful to Dhoni for the said gesture.

MS Dhoni, who led India to glory in the inaugural edition of the T20 World Cup in 2007, retired from international cricket in August 2020. However, the 40-year-old has continued to play for Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League.

Dhoni is in the UAE with CSK and will join the Indian team following the completion of IPL 2021. Dhoni has led CSK to their 9th IPL final as he helped the 3-time champions bounce back from the horrors of UAE in 2020.

Earlier, India Today reported that it was Jay Shah who had thought of making use of MS Dhoni's experience as early as two months before the announcement was made. Shah had a virtual interaction with Dhoni, offering him the opportunity to work with the Indian team as a mentor in the UAE.

Dhoni agreed to the proposal after he received clarity about the role at the T20 World Cup.

Jay Shah then approached captain Virat Kohli and vice-captain Rohit Sharma who agreed to the proposal.

The BCCI secretary then spoke to India's head coach Ravi Shastri, for whom the T20 World Cup will be the last assignment. Shah told the former India captain that MS Dhoni will be traveling as mentor and would assume a similar role with equal responsibility.

India will begin their T20 World Cup campaign under Virat Kohli's captaincy against Pakistan in Dubai on October 24. They will also face New Zealand, Afghanistan and two more teams from the qualifying stages in Group 2 of the Super 12 stage

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...ys-bcci-secretary-jay-shah-1864008-2021-10-12

Why ? i would pay him 2 rupees thats what he deserves.

Last edited by a moderator:
India skipper Virat Kohli on Saturday said that having MS Dhoni as the mentor for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup will hold his side in good stead.

India will open its campaign in the upcoming T20 World Cup against Pakistan on October 24 at the Dubai International Stadium. Kohli's side will also have the services of MS Dhoni as the former India skipper will act as a mentor.

"Massive experience. He is quite excited about getting back in this environment. He has always been a mentor for all of us, when we were starting our careers at the time he played and now he has the same opportunity to continue the same again. Especially for the younger guys who are in early stages of their career, just experience that he has gained over the years and having conversations with him about the game," said Kohli during a Captain's Call organised by the International Cricket Council (ICC) ahead of the upcoming Men's T20 World Cup.

"Such practical inputs and such intricate details of where the game is going and where we can improve. He makes a difference when he is in a leadership role in any team, absolutely delighted to have him in this environment. He will certainly boost the morale of the team further," he added.

Talking about Bhuvneshwar Kumar's heading into T20 World Cup, Kohli said: "His economy rate continued to be top-notch in the IPL, he has always been known for this, and his experience comes to the fore. I think his experience and accuracy have always been priceless for the team. He is back to full fitness which augers really well for our team. I am sure he will get assistance with the new ball."

When asked about India's performance in the past two T20 World Cups, Kohli said: "It was quite frustrating to go out the way we did in the 2016 T20 World Cup, but to a deserving side I thought. West Indies was the best team in that tournament, playing the best cricket as a team I felt and they thoroughly deserved to win that tournament. We had a heartbreak against Sri Lanka in the 2014 T20 World Cup finals as well, that tells us as far as our T20 cricket is concerned, we have always had a strong side."

"Lot of youngsters from the IPL have now come into their roles and they are players who can change the game at any stage. So, we are quite confident heading into this World Cup, knowing we have a strong side and potentially we could go deep in the tournament and if we reach knockouts, go one step further," he added.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...e-of-the-team-further-says-virat-kohli/824076

KOHLI FEELS DHONI’S PRESENCE AS MENTOR GIVES INDIA AN EDGE

Virat Kohli feels being mentored by Mahendra Singh Dhoni gives India an edge on their rivals in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.

Iconic keeper-batter Dhoni captained his country at each of the first six editions of the tournament, including to victory in the maiden staging in 2007.

Dhoni won’t be playing at an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup for the first time but will play a key role in India’s campaign once again as a mentor, on whom Kohli will lean for leadership.

“MS is excited to be back, although he’s always been a mentor for all of us,” said Kohli.

“He has an opportunity to do it again and work with the younger guys who are playing in a major tournament in the early stages of their careers.

“We want to use the experience he’s gained over the years and have conversations with him around the game. Tactical inputs, intricate details of where the game is going and how we can improve by small margins.

“We’re absolutely delighted to have him back and his presence will certainly boost the morale of the team even further and give us even more confidence than we have as a team.”

Another team who will call on the cricketing brain of a legend is Sri Lanka, who have engaged Mahela Jayawardene as a coaching consultant.

Jayawardene’s experience will be even more crucial given the loss of seasoned bowler Nuwan Pradeep to injury.

They will captained by all-rounder Dasun Shanuka for the first time at an ICC event.

"He's been amazing over the years," Shanaka said of Jayawardene.

“Tactically, he is the best in the business. He's been a real asset for all of us."

Meanwhile, skipper Babar Azam’s form with the bat and leadership qualities will be crucial to Pakistan’s hopes of lifting the trophy for the second time.

He is ranked second in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s T20I rankings and averages a remarkable 46.89 in T20 internationals.

“Good performances give you confidence and I feel like I’m in form,” said Babar. “I’m ready and looking forward to the tournament.”

Pakistan, who staged a National T20 Cup to provide players with match practice ahead of the mega event, will once again call on Shoaib Malik, who has never missed a T20 World Cup, after he was a late replacement for the injured Sohaib Maqsood.

“Shoaib Malik is an experienced player who is also considered among the fit members of our squad," said Babar. "However, we have to make a plan on including him in the playing XI squad.”

Defending champions West Indies are the only team to have won the tournament on more than one occasion and boast a devastating array of power hitters.

Chris Gayle, Evin Lewis and captain Kieron Pollard are all among the top ten in terms of most sixes hit in T20 internationals.

But Pollard is at pains to highlight that his side have more to their game than just plundering big boundaries.

“That’s the way we go about our cricket and it’s part of our strength,” said Pollard.

“A lot of different analysts keep harping on about dot balls and singles and ones and twos. To us, everything is important but we have to play to our strength.

“We continue to work on our weaknesses and keep our strength as our strength. We have a lot of powerful guys in our line-up, but sometimes the situation warrants it and sometimes it doesn’t.

“We also have guys who can manoeuvre the strike and run between the wickets. We want to play complete games of cricket and let the results take care of themselves.”

'Absolutely delighted': Virat Kohli on MS Dhoni being with Team India as mentor during T20 World Cup

Dhoni, in his time as India captain, won three ICC trophies - the2007 T20 World Cup, the2011 ODI World Cup, and the2013 Champions Trophy.

India captain Virat Kohli said that he is absolutely delighted that MS Dhoni will be staying back in the UAE after the culmination of Indian Premier League 2021 season to be with Team India as mentor during the T20 World Cup. The announcement of Dhoni being appointed as India's mentor during the ICC tournament was made by the BCCI last month.

Dhoni, in his time as India captain, won three ICC trophies - the2007 T20 World Cup, the2011 ODI World Cup, and the2013 Champions Trophy. Kohli, who will be captaining India in the shortest format for the last time during the tournament believes Dhoni's experience will help the team during crucial stages at the World Cup.

"He makes a difference when he is in a leadership role in any team. Absolutely delighted to have him in the environment. He will certainly boost the morale of this team further," Virat Kohli said at the pre-tournament press conference.

"Such practical inputs and such intricate details of where the game is going and where we can improve," he added.

"Massive experience. He is quite excited about getting back in this environment," Kohli further said.

“He has always been a mentor for all of us, when we were starting our careers at that time he played and now he has the same opportunity to continue the same again. Especially for the younger guys who are in early stages of their career, just experience that he has gained over the years and having conversations with him about the game,” he signed off.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/absolutely-delighted-virat-kohli-on-ms-dhoni-being-with-team-india-as-mentor-during-t20-world-cup-101634445012332.html

I always though more quantity of decision makers can an issue. It could mean indecisiveness and lead to conflicts. Let alone a powerful non-playing staff member like Dhoni in the team meetings.

At the end of day, cricket is a simple game, and instincts of the captain matters the most. You don't want to destroy that with more decision makers.

First of all two are different kind of captains,
Kohli is great leader with never say die attitude this works in test matches as it keeps belief of team going that they can win from any situation and always go for win no matter what. For him attitude is more important than strategy. Process more important than result. India rarely sends night watchman no matter what is the situation since he is captain. This becomes his weakness as the tenure of fame shortens as chance of comeback reduce drastically. Further he has some problems with tactics but that can be resolved as he is with Rohit & ashwin on field.
MSD is a gambler who had a great team. Can you honestly say he did any thing special in 2007 t20 wc or was it a brain fade of Misbah.
The real difference between two teams is not MSD the captain but MSD the batsman. In 2011 we won because of middle and lower order.
Against Australia yuvi raina saved us. The situation on SF 2019 vs New Zealand was not different from SF 2011 vs Pakistan. But raina along with Sachin kept us in shape. In the final we lost our two big guns cheaply but didn't panick.
WC for us will be won or lost by Pant, Pandya, SKY, Jaddu. Rohit, Virat & Rahul will fire. The real question is what will happen when they don't.
TBH I am more excited about Varun Chakravarti or increased probability of Umran being in 11 rather than MSD sitting in dressing room.
GYAAN in overrated this forum is full of it.

First of all two are different kind of captains,
Kohli is great leader with never say die attitude this works in test matches as it keeps belief of team going that they can win from any situation and always go for win no matter what. For him attitude is more important than strategy. Process more important than result. India rarely sends night watchman no matter what is the situation since he is captain. This becomes his weakness as the tenure of fame shortens as chance of comeback reduce drastically. Further he has some problems with tactics but that can be resolved as he is with Rohit & ashwin on field.
MSD is a gambler who had a great team. Can you honestly say he did any thing special in 2007 t20 wc or was it a brain fade of Misbah.
The real difference between two teams is not MSD the captain but MSD the batsman. In 2011 we won because of middle and lower order.
Against Australia yuvi raina saved us. The situation on SF 2019 vs New Zealand was not different from SF 2011 vs Pakistan. But raina along with Sachin kept us in shape. In the final we lost our two big guns cheaply but didn't panick.
WC for us will be won or lost by Pant, Pandya, SKY, Jaddu. Rohit, Virat & Rahul will fire. The real question is what will happen when they don't.
TBH I am more excited about Varun Chakravarti or increased probability of Umran being in 11 rather than MSD sitting in dressing room.
GYAAN in overrated this forum is full of it.

Its true everywhere about Gyaan, not only this forum. The only time is is acceptable to us is when it is doled out by guess who? Us.

To come to the issue of mentorship, Dhoni has a legacy and TM wants to tap into that aura and bring on some positivity. The actual work still needs to be done by Kohli as Dhoni can only suggest and not dictate the show. Dhoni btw is not a gambler, he can be called flexbile and a quick thinker. You are right about Kohli believing in the process and he will not take sudden deviations. Kohli is more Australian that way and Dhoni is more New Zealandish with his experimentation.

In reality both of them are good captains ad we need a captain who has got both these qualities. It is only the right calls made by Dhoni that get published and talked about whereas the reverse is true for Kohli, all his wrong calls get highlighted due to his lack of success in the WC.

‘Bringing Dhoni as mentor is Virat’s decision. He wants to finish on a high by winning T20 World Cup': Monty Panesar

T20 World Cup 2021: Panesar believes, Dhoni's presence will give Kohli confidence and help him live his dream of winning an ICC trophy as a captain.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar feels India captain Virat Kohli must have had a big role to play in roping in the legendary MS Dhoni as mentor of the Indian side for the T20 World Cup 2021. Panesar said Kohli, who is yet to win an ICC trophy as captain, must have wanted to finish on a high and hence wanted Dhoni to support him in his endeavor.

“Bringing Dhoni on board as a mentor is Virat's decision. He must have said...look this is my last World Cup as T20I captain, last time that I will be leading the side, I have played under Dhoni and learnt from him. He wanted a nice memory. He wants to finish on a high, that's why he brought in Dhoni as a mentor,” Panesar told Times of India.

Dhoni, who had announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket in August 2020, was named as the mentor of the Indian side for this World Cup. Dhoni is one of India's most successful captains ever with two World Cups and a Champions Trophy title to his credit. Panesar believes, Dhoni's presence will give Kohli confidence and help him live his dream of winning an ICC trophy as a captain.

“He wanted Dhoni by his side while chasing his maiden ICC trophy. And also, Dhoni is not charging anything, which is so good to see. He is a legend of the game. Virat wants his presence and I am sure these two guys Dhoni and Virat together will do wonders for Team India in the World Cup,” Panesar added.

This will be Kohli's first and the only opportunity to win the T20 World Cup as he has decided to stand down as India's shortest format captain after this ICC event in Dubai and UAE.

Former left-arm spinner Panesar said Dhoni can guide Virat as he knows what it takes to lead a side to a world title.

“Dhoni knows how to win tournaments. He will be a guiding force for Virat from the dressing room. Virat and Dhoni together have won many matches for India and they know each other very well. In fact, Virat has huge respect for Dhoni. Dhoni knows how to win big games and Virat would want to pick those tactics and pick Dhoni's brains. He would want to lead the way Dhoni did in World Cups and big tournaments. They both together will make plans and win the games,” Panesar said.

Talking about India's chances in the T20 World Cup, Panesar said Kohli and Co. have what it to takes to reach the finals for sure.

“India are going to be strong favourites. They will be entering the tournament as title favourites. I reckon they will be making it to the final for sure. Virat is aiming for an ICC title win as captain. And he won't leave this chance easily. This will be his last tournament as T20I captain and he is looking hungry for an ICC title,” he said.

India won their both warm-up matches comfortably against England and Australia. They will begin their campaign Pakistan on October 24 in Dubai.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/bringing-dhoni-as-mentor-is-virat-s-decision-he-wants-to-finish-on-a-high-by-winning-t20-world-cup-monty-panesar-101634823619046.html

Back