The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

Asad Shafiq : First Impressions

Watching him live for the first time today.

Make no mistake, a very difficult situation for him to come and bat.

Wristy, compact, good puller of the ball and nice placement from the young man.

Looks as if he favours the on side, likes to whip the ball through mid wicket.

_slaps_forehead__by_death_au.gif

We already had :afridi :umarakmal :shahzaib :iamlegend and now Asad Shafiq!

Such an embarrassment of riches!

Last edited:
Asad Shafiq really isnt a biffer so he's not umar akmal or nazir. He's a stroke maker. I like his toughness.

And he is not selfish. Played according to the situation and not for his stats. Good boy, Asad!

It took me on eball to see he is already better than Hafeez.

Probably the worst situation to bat for a top order batsman playing his 2nd ODI.

Can't really judge him even though he hit 4 fours in a row.

Asad means "lion", and I think we have found a lion. A star is born!

Short inning but what a treat it was......

The guy can definitly bat, a real stroke maker.

"LOL" @ :afridi telling him "Ek chokka chaheeyai hai"

Just the right guidance.

Watching him live for the first time today.

Make no mistake, a very difficult situation for him to come and bat.

Wristy, compact, good puller of the ball and nice placement from the young man.

Looks as if he favours the on side, likes to whip the ball through mid wicket.

And unlike players like Salman, Younis, Malik and co, he is also a very keen runner. A very busy player who likes to take a lot of singles early on his innings. I hope he is given a consistent run in this series

I liked that he hit four 4s, finding the gaps............something pakistanis are not good at...........so i blv he is a good find.........

Very impressed by Asad. That's all we want from Pakistan and that is to fight.

We can have good strong teams for each format in cricket, only if our selectors know who to pick.

Couldn't tell much today tbh

Good fighting attitude though, and he played for the team atleast

i like him... he plays like an Indian batman. Can't wait to see him the coming ODIs

Came in a hard situation, so hard to say anything. Hopefully can come in at no.3 in the next match.

Back to the topic,

I thought it was a great innings from the Sher today. Perfect strike rate in a very tough situation.

Just needs to actually hit a four when told to :)

Very impressive, atleast he is not selfish

"LOL" @ :afridi telling him "Ek chokka chaheeyai hai"

Just the right guidance.

Our kaptaan sahab was finding it hard to get away and hence threw two youngsters Umer/Asad down the river. Perfect :afridi

Very impressive. Last time I was impressed like this was when I first saw Umar Akmal bat. It would be a travesty if he gets superceded by Azhar Ali and Umar Amin in the future

That was an impressive little knock - he isnt known as a basher BUT he played some canny shots - earlier in an innings he can certainly be a real asset

Back to the topic,

I thought it was a great innings from the Sher today. Perfect strike rate in a very tough situation.

Just needs to actually hit a four when told to :)
:)))

Some time with the Babbar Sher and that will be perfectly under control.

Most impressive thing about the lad was his ability to play proper cricket shots and find the boundary. Hopefully will come in a little higher or earlier next time and may get more of a chance to shine.

Our kaptaan sahab was finding it hard to get away and hence threw two youngsters Umer/Asad down the river. Perfect :afridi

"threw down the river" "Perfect" :)))

You need to be careful of the looseness of context

Sounds like an incident Afridi would very much enjoy :afridi

Definitely has a future. Today was a very demanding situation so can't fault him for playing the way he did and getting out.

I'm impressed. we might have a found a decent-ish batsman in asad shafiq.

well played asad!

"threw down the river" "Perfect" :)))

You need to be careful of the looseness of context

Sounds like an incident Afridi would very much enjoy :afridi

Still fuming at that "ek chooka chahiye",

farmaishi program mein aayee ho kya? :afridi

he should have come in earlier. Its so unfortunate that we have four quality middle order players who are going to turn crap simply because there is no guidance for them. MoYo and Afridi simply aren't the right players. How much this young lineup needs YK despite what all the naysayers say, they just need to get their heads out of the dnd for a little while.

Hopefully, for the sake of Pakistani cricket, he can cement his place in the side and form a good partnership with the likes of Umar and Fawad.

Very pleasing to the eye!! excellent footwork, bat speed, and placement!! dunno why loosers like Umer amin were selected over this gem!!
definitely a one for the future!!
Good luck to him for the rest of this series!! :D

Looked good but need a longer look to c what hes made of, nice little innings

Hope we see more of him

Big fan of Shafiq,he has a bright future ! Really pleased with his cameo today,hope he can build on it.

It was tough for young guy to come in that situation but he showed he can cope with the pressure. I hope he would be good in time to come.

Too early to judge after 1 Game. I will only judge him at the end of the series

To be honest, I think it's too early to judge but if you really want me to say what I think of him, I would say that's it's too early to judge.

i hope he continues with his skills and courage that he showed today

Well he deserve a proper run like Imran Farhat has in this series or Umar Amin. I would say many of the Batsmen from Karachi have a bit of Miandad flavour. They seem to be more build inning style bats from singles, running hard, stay busy and circumspect. While Punjabi batsmen more of stroke making style one. Nothing biased, just my observation. To name some look at Younis, Asim, Fawad, and Asad also seems of the same stuff.

Last edited:
Well he deserve a proper run like Imran Farhat has in this series or Umar Amin. I would say many of the Batsmen from Karachi have a bit of Miandad flavour. They seem to be more build inning style bats from singles, running hard, stay busy and circumspect. While Punjabi batsmen more of stroke making style one. Nothing biased, just my observation. To name some look at Younis, Asim, Fawad, and Asad also seems of the same stuff.

exactly...... he will make his name shine more than these two.....!!

He's a great fielder and on that alone he should be given a stay in the side. :)

I was quite impressed with the way he batted. It was a short stay but he showed glimpses of some talent there and I hope he is given more chances up the order, so that we can all file a proper judgement. Early signs, though, are that he has something in him and hopefully the guy can cement his spot in the side.

He was impressive, i really liked the way he batted.
He is a number 3 at List A level so he should bat at three or even (why not) open the innings...

Showed good character and skill in his short stay. Impressive. Miles better than hafeez etc.

Leave the mentoring to the mentor. :afridi

He got out the next ball though :p

Looked good, played the shots according to the situation unlike some...Here's to hoping that he gets a big score next match!

Good to see that Asad impressed the PPers here and didn't let me down :p
Shoaib Mohammad, Miandad and Ijaz Ahmed speak highly of him.

He's not known as a strokeplayer as some people here are making him out to be! Usually, he takes some time to settle at the crease but keeps the scorecard ticking by taking singles. Later, he opens up and plays some real good shots once he gets his eye in. He is not someone who will come and start playing shots right from the word go. But today, he looked different!!

He's played some good knocks under pressure (in domestic cricket as well as in the recent SL tour with the A team)..
His cover drives are a treat to watch!! I'd like to see some from him in this series! :)
I for one, would really love to see him in the side as a regular..
Besides that, he is an excellent fielder and a handy spinner, too!

Definitely deserves an extended run...looks good on the eyes...perhaps needs more time in the middle to come good...

I liked these young batsman. Umar Akmal, Fawad Alam and Asad Shafiq can make a tremendous one-day middle order, and an awesome fielding unit in the outfield. Let's hope they have a successful series in England. It is going to be a great test of their ability. The world cup is around the corner, so this really is the perfect opportunity for them to show everybody what they're made of.

Lol he's going to struggle pulling the bowlers on quicker wickets, his technique for pulling isn't right but that's probably the situation where he just went out and expressed himself but we'll see the real him in the 2nd odi hopefully.`

Lol he's going to struggle pulling the bowlers on quicker wickets, his technique for pulling isn't right but that's probably the situation where he just went out and expressed himself but we'll see the real him in the 2nd odi hopefully.`

he is not a great puller~ but he is geniunely an excellent batsman!

The kid knows how to bat, it was unfortunante for him to bat at a time where Pakistan needed to score big each over.

The 4 consecutive boundaries were a treat to watch though :)

Good to see that Asad impressed the PPers here and didn't let me down :p
Shoaib Mohammad, Miandad and Ijaz Ahmed speak highly of him.

He's not known as a strokeplayer as some people here are making him out to be! Usually, he takes some time to settle at the crease but keeps the scorecard ticking by taking singles. Later, he opens up and plays some real good shots once he gets his eye in. He is not someone who will come and start playing shots right from the word go. But today, he looked different!!

He's played some good knocks under pressure (in domestic cricket as well as in the recent SL tour with the A team)..
His cover drives are a treat to watch!! I'd like to see some from him in this series! :)
I for one, would really love to see him in the side as a regular..
Besides that, he is an excellent fielder and a handy spinner, too!

i have watched him in domestic closely! he is a hard working player! I was about to mention his usual game plan as u mentioned! today, he was quite different! well played asad!

Back