The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

i have watched him in domestic closely! he is a hard working player! I was about to mention his usual game plan as u mentioned! today, he was quite different! well played asad!

lol..Same here!
been following his progress since his FC debut!!
I've actually watched many of his club matches too:>

Oh! See the expression on his face his eyes, before the ball is bowled as if he is in a sword fight. Loved every single bit of him what fearless attitude in his very first outing had the stroke play to match it

Dying to see more of him looks a gem of a talent and character

Don't know why reminded me of a guy from hong kong action movie

Good to see that Asad impressed the PPers here and didn't let me down :p
Shoaib Mohammad, Miandad and Ijaz Ahmed speak highly of him.

He's not known as a strokeplayer as some people here are making him out to be! Usually, he takes some time to settle at the crease but keeps the scorecard ticking by taking singles. Later, he opens up and plays some real good shots once he gets his eye in. He is not someone who will come and start playing shots right from the word go. But today, he looked different!!

He's played some good knocks under pressure (in domestic cricket as well as in the recent SL tour with the A team)..
His cover drives are a treat to watch!! I'd like to see some from him in this series! :)
I for one, would really love to see him in the side as a regular..
Besides that, he is an excellent fielder and a handy spinner, too!
...:shafiq
stickmandancingplz.gif

Btw,are you related to him?:p
Anyways I want him in the side permenantly even though I didnt watch the match today.

Lol he's going to struggle pulling the bowlers on quicker wickets, his technique for pulling isn't right but that's probably the situation where he just went out and expressed himself but we'll see the real him in the 2nd odi hopefully.`

I don't know about that. He was getting in line to pull the shorter deliveries and it's surprising how few Pakistan batsmen do it, most of them try and pull from outside off stump to avoid being hit. He looks like a genuine batsman as opposed to a wild slogger which is nice to see. He's definitely worth another look.

I liked what I have seen today from him was very confident .

I want him in team. He looks better than Umar Amin and Azhar Ali. He should bat after Mohammed Y or maybe in start after Umar Akmal.

He looked good even when he defended a couple of deliveries.

I liked how confident and positive he was - he came onto the pitch at a difficult time where Pakistan needed 10 runs per over. He wasn't fully fit and also batted very late which he doesn't prefer considering he was named as a number 3 batsmen.

He had slight luck with the shots - but luck is part of the game, he placed the shots very well and went out agressive full of confidence, hoping to see more of him!

I have been saying this all along that this guy has the best Batting technique in the whole of Pak domestic

Most impressive thing about him was his fielding. Before he pulled up with a cramp, he was very quick and atheletic in the field. Shoud be an automatic in the ODI team, but is not a slogger so top 4 is his normal slot.

Give him 10 matches then I'll have an impression.

I hope they do that and I hope us fans keep that in mind also. I'm afraid if he fails in the next outing, people will forget about his technique, skill, temperament, fielding, etc. and call for his head.

I just want to see Asad and Fawad in the squad unchanged for the entire series (perhaps even against SA) so we have a decent sample size of performance to judge what they can do.

I did not see his inning yesterday but like others (e.g. Umer Amin) he needs to be given around 10 innigs to show what he is made of. From reading all the comments here and speaking to my brother who watched his inning yesterday, he sounds like a good player.

On top of it from what I see here, he can open as well and play as part time wicket keeper as well. This will be a great addition to the Pak team.

Even if Afridi down the road bring YK back to the team he can easily draft both him and Yk in the team by promoting himself to open up with Kami or have Asad open if he used to open in FC as well.

This guy is a brilliant fielder and seems to be a decent batsman as well. Deserve a long run in the side. Hope he cement his place in the side before WC 2011.

The situation he walked into obviously played a role but I loved how positive he was. As a post above mentions, he has that hustle and bustle look to him that Karachi players have. I'd give him a slot in the test team based on attitude alone.

lol..Same here!
been following his progress since his FC debut!!
I've actually watched many of his club matches too:>

That's interesting. I presume you mean watching it live as to my knowledge FC games aren't televised. Care to share more of the match day experience of watching FC cricket in Pakistan?

Very impressed by Asad. That's all we want from Pakistan and that is to fight.

We can have good strong teams for each format in cricket, only if our selectors know who to pick.

agreed fawad played well in this odi just got out to a stupid shot no need to play that

afridi was missing every ball, so he told shafiq to slog. Was not bad but i think hes a better batter than just slogging. Rebuilding phase, build a good team that will play together. Players that dont like each should be professional when they play in a pakistani shirt. Simple....

I have been saying this all along that this guy has the best Batting technique in the whole of Pak domestic

I have not seen each and everyone domestic batsman after seeing his inning I have to agree that it is quite possible.

The last proper batsman Pakistan produced (who actually suceeded) is Mohammad Yusuf and looks like he is our next guy.

That's interesting. I presume you mean watching it live as to my knowledge FC games aren't televised. Care to share more of the match day experience of watching FC cricket in Pakistan?

Yup, I've watched 'em live. Club matches and FC matches aren't televised.
How many experiences do you want me to share? :p I used to watch domestic games regularly,..don't get time to do so these days..

"Asad Shafiq is a chunky little batsman who has come to score runs."

Bumble

Guys,Asad Shafiq is a huge talent ! He has all the shots in the book,brilliant player in domestic cricket,wait and see !

The intent is very good. Looks to play the ball in gaps and take singles, doubles immediately after coming in to bat.

Very refreshing approach with him, Fawad and Umar we have a good foundation to build on.

Really, really impressed with this kid. :14:

Masha Allah, what a talent!

He can run, take singles, take twos, plays in gaps, plays with intent...doens't take pressure, is unfazed on the big occasion...and has many good attacking shots. :14:

but .... this is totally batting wicket...
what about the bowling wicket....

Is he repeat the same performance ?????????????????????????

he remins me off an in form or more than inform of ashrafull. awesome bastman:shafiq

Playing well MashAllah and i hope and pray he continues with his ability and the make it to the next level....and guys pls don't state ur verdicts about this young talent just pray that he does well and uses his head properly

Swann to Asad Shafiq, SIX, 77.6 kph, that is an absolute clobbering! Down the track, a swing of the blade that is reminiscent of Darren Gough at Sydney in 1994-95, and the ball fizzes over long-on!

Definately very different players but difficult to judge if yet better!?

he looks confident and willing to attack England. Azhar and Umar hardly showed intent.

Makes you thinking if our test team was actually picked on merit (i.e top batting performers in FC cirkcet, Shafiq, Sajjad, Hasan Raza....)

he looks confident and willing to attack England. Azhar and Umar hardly showed intent.

Makes you thinking if our test team was actually picked on merit (i.e top batting performers in FC cirkcet, Shafiq, Sajjad, Hasan Raza....)
True true.

I have not seen each and everyone domestic batsman after seeing his inning I have to agree that it is quite possible.

The last proper batsman Pakistan produced (who actually suceeded) is Mohammad Yusuf and looks like he is our next guy.

Younis Khan?

This asad guy looks good, he reminds me of a right handed mujtaba similar spring in his feet.Very refreshing to see someone so young in terms of International cricket pushing the ones in the middle overs

I dont know about u all but im very impressed with hiim and certainly a future star of PAK. his batting is good, his running between the wicket is good and he can hit big aswell so im all in for him....should given good chance. I apluad afridi for sending him up the order and giving him full confidence....

Impressed! I think he would have been a better option in Tests than the others that were selected.

Has a good range of shots, plays within himself and keeps the scoreboard ticking.

Hope the PCB take a sensible approach to his selection in the future.

There were shades of both Akmals in some of the strokes he played.

Cannot believe the likes of Umar Amin, Azhar Ali were selected over him. I give him full marks over Azhar Ali for sure.

I'm amazed by his confidence, looks like he belongs here.

Welldone boy :shafiq

Last edited:
We already had :afridi :umarakmal :shahzaib :iamlegend and now Asad Shafiq!

Such an embarrassment of riches!

yeh you are right broo, we shud stick to imran farhat, khalid latif, khuram manzoor, umer amin lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllz for god sakes if a person is performing let him play. few games we want agressive players not scared faces who cant perform even when there is no pressure.. hats of to you:14::14::14:

MashaAllah he played well today and i wish him a bright future all the prayers wid him ...

Well done Asad! :14: Looked good today. That's what I like, he wasn't hyped that much as the 'classy left hander' was and what not, came in and got a good score. InshAllah he'll continue to do well in the future.

looks a very confident player. The thing which i really liked is the way he was rotating the strike. He was always looking to take singles. He is looking very confident playing spin bowling, the way he was coming down the wicket to sawan and punching the ball for single was heartening to seee. I still need to see him play against fast bowling with the new ball and early in his inning. He looks a real talent and lets hope he can cement his place.

Class knock today. Played really well. Hopefully, he can build on from this performance and have a good series here to cement a spot in the side.

Some nice shots today good cutter and very good at working the singles , hasnt really had his technique tested yet. Looks like he is mentally ready for the team aswell.

MashaAllah very classy lad indeed! can take singles and find the boundaries too..Fawad, Umar, and Asad will make a great future middle order! :D

can be like suresh raina if given a long run...can clear the boundary and can rotate the strike...and can maintain a healthy strike rate..looks like a photo copy of raina

This asad guy looks good, he reminds me of a right handed mujtaba similar spring in his feet.Very refreshing to see someone so young in terms of International cricket pushing the ones in the middle overs

thanx 4 remember me:p

Last edited:
We have found a few good batsmen just at the right time where moyo and yk are about to retire.Its all upto the management how they use them.imo Azhar and Fawad should be in the test xi while Asad should bat at no.4 in ODIs followed by Umar akmal at 5.Fawad should be our next one down batsmen after moyos retirement.

looks a very confident player. The thing which i really liked is the way he was rotating the strike. He was always looking to take singles. He is looking very confident playing spin bowling, the way he was coming down the wicket to sawan and punching the ball for single was heartening to seee. I still need to see him play against fast bowling with the new ball and early in his inning. He looks a real talent and lets hope he can cement his place.

Partnering with Umar or Fawad, would be able to exploit this. Obviously, running is not MoYo's forte. However, at this early stage, it is very beneficial have the calming presence of MoYo at the other end.

Very good batsman .... he knows his strength ...i love lots of single in his Inning which is very good sign ..i heard a lot about him n he is coming up to d expectation...

I didn't see him batting, but for those who did, should we push him in tests or is it too early?

I didn't see him batting, but for those who did, should we push him in tests or is it too early?
Definitely should, in my view.

Depends on how he fares in bowler-friendly conditions, but on evidence so far, Asad appears to be a better option for Tests than Fawad, Azhar and Umar Amin.

Back