The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

Finally a truly promising batsman from Karachi, hope he does well

Looks like an excellent fielder and his running between the wickets was brilliant today.

Very impressive indeed. To be honest, if YK comes back into the fold, I would be more concerned about the bowling than batting

unreal player...goes to show you what being picked based on merit alone does...not like umar amin/shoaib malik etc...looks like everybody from karachi on this thread were all one hundred percent correct in their criticisms of team selection :D

one for the future for sure

Last edited:
Asaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! The Lion! RAWWRR! :D :D

PCF must be so proud! ;-)
And finally a very reliable batsman from Karachi!Khi doesnt have talent? Say that again!

i hope u people wont be asking for his head after 2,3 bad performances!!

Asaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! The Lion! RAWWRR! :D :D

PCF must be so proud! ;-)
And finally a very reliable batsman from Karachi!Khi doesnt have talent? Say that again!

True that!! :D I was one of the few PPers who had seen his batting several times before he made his international debut..and I gave accounts of his game to other PPers (esp. Juggernaut).. Glad that he lived up to the "hype" I created ;-)
I'm proud of him.. But he still has a long way to go.. InshALLAH, he'll cement his place in the team by the end of this series. :)

Last edited:
I have to say I was very impressed by Shafiq's knock today. Neat footwork, good range of strokes, kept the scoreboard ticking and ran well between the wickets. Seems very composed and also fielded pretty well.

MashALLAH, Asad played well today. But still no cover drive!!:(
That six was awesome! :14:

The best thing about his game is that he doesn't get bogged down.. always looks for singles and doubles and keeps the scorecard ticking. He's a "busy" player in the truest sense of the word.

He is an excellent fielder and a great runner between the wickets..had a few problems running with Moyo..(who doesn't!)..
He's a handy spinner too. Let's see if he gets a chance to bowl in the upcoming matches or not.

I saw him field, which was excellent I must say

But can someone tell me how he batted? I missed his innings
Was he troubled by Swann? And what about the quickies?
Did he rotate the strike well enough

Impressive batsman. Decent technique as well so may be able to play in the number 3 role for Pakistan's ODI team.

I think we have found a good young player in Asad Shafiq. Sound technqiue along with an agressive mindset. Quite athletic in the field as well.

I'm already imagining a strong Pakistani young middle-order for the future with Alam batting at No.3 followed by Asad and Umar Akmal as permanent fixtures.

its weried how to sum up what i have seen 2day. he wasnt hyped up like fawad or umar amin, but deep inside my head i knew he was going to do well.

since i saw him for the 1st time in asia cup when he made the 18 runs, i was impressed by his footwork.

good player of spin, something our new players cant

can play the short ball well

excellent runner and fielder

im very happy that karachi has put this kid on the map.

Lets hope we don't get ridiculous post calling for his head when he fails, ala Umar Akmal.

inshallah pakistans future batting line up is going to be very strong with fawad asad and the legend umar akmal ..imagine we still had aamir and asif we would be no.1 side in next 2 years ..aamir zalam ya tu na kya kar deya ..sab ka dil tor deya :((

How'd he handle Swann?

Quite well given the fact that he probably wouldn't have faced a spinner of his quality before. Played and missed a few times but also hit some strong shots against him. I'd say he looked slightly better against pace on options though and he's mostly a back foot player - might be ok for pitches with a bit of carry.

Looked amazing.

I am hesitant in boosting young players. Umar Akmal was put on a certain pedestal and he hasn't lived up to those expectations. It's best we let Asad develop and ease his way into the team.

He looks like a brilliant prospect, though. Good fielder to boot.

Looked amazing.

I am hesitant in boosting young players. Umar Akmal was put on a certain pedestal and he hasn't lived up to those expectations. It's best we let Asad develop and ease his way into the team.

He looks like a brilliant prospect, though. Good fielder to boot.

Its good he won't be hyped as much as Akmal because he doesn't have the same flamboyant stroke play

Definitely better to play without expectations and the opposition trying to analyze your every move
Good Lad Asad, thoroughly deserves selection, and his selection has basically proven the merits in selecting your best domestic performers rather than on hunches and being impressed in the nets

How'd he handle Swann?

Like this:
Swann to Asad Shafiq, SIX, 77.6 kph, that is an absolute clobbering! Down the track, a swing of the blade that is reminiscent of Darren Gough at Sydney in 1994-95, and the ball fizzes over long-on!

I saw him field, which was excellent I must say

But can someone tell me how he batted? I missed his innings
Was he troubled by Swann? And what about the quickies?
Did he rotate the strike well enough

He played a fluent innings today.

ball by ball commentary of his innings (from cricinfo):

Asad Shafiq is the new man.
Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 84.7 kph, defends his first ball very calmly

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, no run, Collingwood's good line is rewarded with careful defence

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 94.8 kph, goodness me, Anderson this time has hashed up a routine stop, he just let this go through him for a single

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 96.2 kph, cheer from the crowd as an England fielder stops the ball cleanly at deepish point

Swann to Asad Shafiq, 2 runs, 85.3 kph, Asad down on one knee and working a sweep shot very neatly away for a couple towards fine leg

Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 82.0 kph, slightly quicker from Swann and defended harmlessly into the leg side

Swann to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 79.7 kph, bit of a tempter from Swann this time, slower and outside off, Asad resists and instead pushes for a single to cover

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, 2 runs, 97.3 kph, big cheer from the Pakistan crowd, seems a trifle disproportionate as Asad pushes gently past cover for a couple

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, FOUR, 95.9 kph, more of a cheer here, and why not! Asad gives himself a bit of room and cuts airily and powerfully past a diving Swann at short third man for four

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, no run, 97.1 kph, this sticks in the wicket a fraction and is pushed back towards the bowler

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 93.0 kph, Asad on the cut again, less room for him here, but doesn't get much of it

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, no run, 112.1 kph, Asad blocks to finish another good over for Pakistan

Swann to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 82.1 kph, Asad down the wicket and driving firmly to long-off

Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 78.9 kph, Asad down the wicket looking for something expansive but can only defend

Swann to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 91.8 kph, Asad on the cut again, doesn't get more than a bottom edge but it dribbles away for one

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 94.6 kph, pushed out to short cover

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, no run, 112.8 kph, flicked firmly to square leg

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, no run, 93.9 kph, clipped again, straight to the fielder

Collingwood to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 93.7 kph, chopped out to backward point

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, no run, 133.7 kph, starts with something closer to a jaffa than not! A full, inswinging delivery, big shout, but there was bat and pad involved there. Good nut though

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 2 runs, 135.9 kph, a touch more width, glided down to third man

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 135.7 kph, splice-rattling from a good length, a quick call and Yousuf has to get his rocket-boots on there to make his ground. Which he does

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, no run, 83.2 kph, dabbed out to point

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 87.3 kph, chopped firmly out towards the cover boundary

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, no run, 84.9 kph, forward and defended

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, no run, 136.8 kph, good rhythm now from Bresnan, wide of the crease and attacking the base of off

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 137.4 kph, clipped down to third man, a touch shorter in length

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 85.9 kph, tossed up and driven to mid-on

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, 2 runs, 86.2 kph, nicely done, good footwork and an inside-out lift over the covers. Good fielding from Bopara on the cover boundary

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, no run, 97.5 kph, reverse sweep, not quite timed or placed

Yardy to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 89.9 kph, quick single, Yousuf back on strike

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, FOUR, 137.9 kph, top shot! A compact lofted drive, up and over long-on and just bounces inside the rope

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 139.7 kph, short ball, pulled, not quite timed

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 135.7 kph, short and wide, dabbed down to third man

Broad to Asad Shafiq, no run, 142.8 kph, that's a good ball, one of a rare handful that has genuinely beaten the edge. A cross-seamer, zipping through to the keeper

Broad to Asad Shafiq, no run, 142.2 kph, that's a filthy mow! A swipe over cow corner, sliced to point, should have been a run-out, but Collingwood fumbled. Sums up England's day

Broad to Asad Shafiq, FOUR, 142.0 kph, glided through backward point, Bopara can't intercept, and the runs keep coming at a pace. That's the 200 up!

Broad to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 127.3 kph, another single, and another much-needed drinks break for England

Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 80.3 kph, flicked to short midwicket

Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 75.8 kph, tapped into the leg-side

Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 80.9 kph, tossed up, and sharp turn. Good bowling

Swann to Asad Shafiq, no run, 77.6 kph, well bowled again, held back a touch in the flight, and turns back into the pads

Swann to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 83.9 kph, worked around the corner, into space behind square

Broad to Asad Shafiq, no run, 138.1 kph, bouncer, and a well-directed one. Umpire Llong calls one for the over

Broad to Asad Shafiq, 1 leg bye, 123.9 kph, a cutter, zipping back into the pads, a scampered single as the ball rolls into the crease

Swann to Asad Shafiq, SIX, 77.6 kph, that is an absolute clobbering! Down the track, a swing of the blade that is reminiscent of Darren Gough at Sydney in 1994-95, and the ball fizzes over long-on!

Swann to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 95.7 kph, back into the crease this time, and defended watchfully

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, no run, 107.7 kph, Shafiq wants the tip-and-run single into the off side but he's sent back by Umar

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 135.4 kph, full outside off, thrashed out to deep cover

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, no run, 136.1 kph, chopped down behind gully, where the fielder makes a good sliding stop to cut off the run

Anderson to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 126.9 kph, frantic running! Shafiq just defended it gently back down the track but Umar was alert to the possibility for a single, sprinting down to beat Anderson's shy at the stumps in his follow through

Anderson to Asad Shafiq, no run, 129.9 kph, full on middle, Shafiq looks to work into the leg side but hits the field

Bresnan to Asad Shafiq, 1 leg bye, 107.6 kph, both batsman are looking to beat the field with fine leg up in the circle, Shafiq now getting across to off, and they takes a leg bye as he's hit on the pad

Anderson to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 128.4 kph, glanced gently just to the left of short fine leg

Anderson to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 120.2 kph, eased down to long-on for an ambled single, Shafiq goes to 49

Anderson to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 121.0 kph, there it is! Fifty for Shafiq, and it's been a fluent, well-composed knock. Chopped down behind point, and they rush through for another quick single

Broad to Asad Shafiq, OUT, 118.3 kph, Shafiq goes! Banged in short and wide by Broad - the slower-ball bouncer - and Shafiq tried to uppercut it over cover point. He was undone by the lack of pace really, the ball popping up to be held by a sliding Bopara at point. He's almost taken out by Strauss, who was also running across to attempt the cash, but maintained his composure to hold onto the ball as his captain tumbled over him
Asad Shafiq c Bopara b Broad 50 (70m 58b 3x4 1x6) SR: 86.20

Last edited:
He's a little pocket rocket of a player, with the eye of the tiger, i.e. he seams fearless of the opposing bowler (so far), thats what I like about him...very positive player.

he or shahryar ghani should have been in the test team instead of Sifarshi Umar Amin

he looks confident and willing to attack England. Azhar and Umar hardly showed intent.

Makes you thinking if our test team was actually picked on merit (i.e top batting performers in FC cirkcet, Shafiq, Sajjad, Hasan Raza....)

and guess what?? he was not selected in the actual squad... and was dropped after one match only! he should also play tests...!! he has that temprament to fit in our team!

Hope he's given a run at number 3. I really think he can become a mainstay in the middle order if he's given a fair chance to to show his complete worth.

Early signs are very promising.

Anderson to Asad Shafiq, 1 run, 121.0 kph, there it is! Fifty for Shafiq, and it's been a fluent, well-composed knock. Chopped down behind point, and they rush through for another quick single

Maiden 50 - in Leeds against England who are considered as one of the best ODI international side and yet he rushed through for another single.

He's a confident, calm little player who makes batting look so easy - the timing of his shots seem as if it's natural for him.

And his running between the wickets was superb - he showed no signs of tiredness and was always looking to take more then one single and also he seems very atheltic in the field which is always a bonus - great find from Pakistan and hopefully he will do well however it makes me wonder how he's only played 4 ODI games.

solid technique, doesn't look for boundaries and looks to rotate strike, and can handle good pace bowling, and a very committed fielder...a huge :19: from me

Seems he can switch gears when needed. The way he paced his innings was good to see. Before you realize it, he was in his 30s.

I know its too early to judge but so far i have been very impressed with him. He has a very good technique, seems very calm at the crease and shows a lot of heart. He doesnt get flustered whatsoever and most importantly hes a very busy player and has all the shots. Also rotates the strike very well. A solid compact little player. I like is body language also

Is it me or does his face look like Saeed Anwar ? Anyway def a good prospect, keep him in the team.

I know its too early to judge but so far i have been very impressed with him. He has a very good technique, seems very calm at the crease and shows a lot of heart. He doesnt get flustered whatsoever and most importantly hes a very busy player and has all the shots. Also rotates the strike very well. A solid compact little player. I like is body language also

a lot better than very over hyped fawad alam and very confused Mohammad hafeez

Last edited:
Good player would love to see him open with Akmal.

Fed up of Hafeez.

Akmal Asad Alam, top 3 could be quite reliable i reckon.

What is with all the fawad hate, they guy is our player and knows how to make runs.

Not orthdox but who cares, quality is quality at the end of the day.

Think Asad alam and akmal(J) could be a very decent order for tests in the future

breadth of fresh air after having seen the likes of Salman butt over the years who couldn't take a single to save their lives. Now if only we can find a reliable replacement for Amir, we will have a solid ODI team.

Hero

Attachments

• 35211_384388487394_559782394_3911675_8260726_n.jpg
    35211_384388487394_559782394_3911675_8260726_n.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 251
one of the groups he has joined on facebook:
"kamran akmal has got holes in his gloves"

^ lol.

and another thing, he is also a handy off-spinner.

one of the groups he has joined on facebook:
"kamran akmal has got holes in his gloves"

I sense future groupings and oath taking brigades

Good opportunity for :yawar again

^ indeed that's what I have also heard, not seen him keep yet though, but definitely saw him turn his arm over for the Sindh Dolphins.

In International Cricket Captain, he is listed as a Part time Keeper.

Batting

I liked him. He looked very composed, and seem to have a good head on his shoulder.

However, these two games been on easy pitches where Kamran has scored quiet a bit of runs as well. It would be interesting to see him bat when Pak openers fail on a difficult pitch.

I hope that PCB keep giving him chances, and handle him properly. I can see that Fawad, Akmal and Asad could make up a good middle order for Pak in upcoming years that these three play different style of game, and would complement each other well.

good luck to Pak team, and i hope they take care of this talent. Even when things go a bit tough for him (i know they will for little while), and provide good training for him.

asad looked a class player. all his shots were proper cricketing shots and best of all hes good in the field. we need more players like him now only if we can replace razzaq with hammad Pakistan will have a very good team. hammad is our version of yardy/hussey, he is a great finisher

Good to see a good batsman from Karachi, hope people push his selection instead of mindlessly supporting Faisal Iqbal, Sami and others from Karachi. Really exciting to see a good young batsman, tired of garbage like Malik and Misbah.

Excellent fielder. Missed his batting, will watch highlights now. :afridi

Energetic, good runner, good fielder, little wristy. I usually don't like these comparsions but he does remind me a bit of Younus or at least a younger version of.

didnt watch him in first game n saw him yesteday,definitely is impressive,compact technique,n good calm air about him,good on the cut,hopefully he'll go far n play tests soon

How good is his keeping?

Could he take over Akmal (S) in tests.

reckon we need to rest akmal (S) for tests, last thing we need is to dent his confidence furhter by making him play tests before the WC.

The best part of him is his fielding. Really impressed by his commitment in the fielding. Looks like we have found a very good batsman at no.4 (atleast for the ODIs).Didnt see too many front foot cover drives from him but still too early to comment such thing i guess.Lets forget about his bowling and wkt keeping and make him a genuine no.4 batsman. :clarke

Bright future, but don't throw him into Tests yet.

Might get a bit of flak for this but his innings yesterday looked like he plays the way :bhanja played recently in Australia (which is a GOOD thing).

Excellent player (been saying this for a long time but let me tell you he was suffering from brain fart last year hopefully he has rectified this problem)

sully3, you're STALKING Asad on Facebook!!

btw, yes, he's a part-time keeper and also a spinner.

Back