The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

Very well played again. A sensible head and doesn't get over excited. Keep up the good work. May you have long and successful future in both forms of the game. i.e. ODI and Tests

Well played yet again. MashAllah. :14:
The best part about his batting is that he doesn't do stupid things even when under pressure. Has a very wise head on his shoulders.

Good world cup for Asad, showed a good temperament and if he stuck around today we would've been home. I hope he develops more, sure did mature a lot this world cup though.

3 out of 4 successful run chases in recent Pak matches, and he has been the key batsman in all of them.

:inzi ----------> :shafiq

Great innings by Asad, looks to be in good touch. His strike rate was decent as well given the match situation.

He's a special player.

Technically very sound and mentally as well.

1st time i saw him play for pakistan i remember i spoke to saj on the fone that day and we both agreed he is a star in the making.

We also have give him credit for his comeback after he was misused by the management and asked to open against SA. what a come back what a player

Youngster beauty...best thing about him is that he doesn't give a feeling that he will get out next ball...95% of Pakistani batsmen do give you that feeling...this is a special talent from Pakistan. Don't misuse/mistreat him PCB.

1st time i saw him play for pakistan i remember i spoke to saj on the fone that day and we both agreed he is a star in the making.

We also have give him credit for his comeback after he was misused by the management and asked to open against SA. what a come back what a player

To be fair to the team management, he does open regularly in domestic cricket. He is one of my favourite new players, the best thing about him is consistency and reliability.

Last edited:
really impressed by his temparement. He got all the shots in the book and seems technically sound. A future for Pakistan. hope he keeps working hard and does well for Pakistan

really impressed by his temparement. He got all the shots in the book and seems technically sound. A future for Pakistan. hope he keeps working hard and does well for Pakistan

Totally agree Seshan, hopefully he will help us hold the 2015 World Cup, Inshallah.

Confidence is the key in this young man's success. Never seems under pressure.

Another very good Inning .....good ...:)

one day he'll become back bone of Pakistani batting line up...:)

Decent player with sound technique and his most important feature is not relying on hitting big shots for scoring runs, which means he keeps on rotating the strike and doesn`t allow the pressure to be built, which is something unusual for the present day pakistani batters..............a great prospect

Last edited:
I wouldn't say he has "all the shots in the book" really, seems a legside player but can put away the bad ball on the offside.

But these things matter very little, we have seen better shot makers who have done a lot worse. :ahmed

Really impressive since he made comeback to the ODI side.He has played few match winning knocks.Looks solid against spinners but plays far too many cut shots.Even tries to cut those which are not there for cut Just like he did against Yuvi in semi final.That is the only weakness I have noticed in him.

Last edited:
He along with Azhar Ali is the future of Pakistani bating line up. Very imressive indeed, best thing is looks to play straight and doesn't take too many un-necessary risks. Has a great future ahead of him.

Really impressive since he made comeback to the ODI side.He has played few match winning knocks.Looks solid against spinners but plays far too many cut shots.Even tries to cut those which are not there for cut Just like he did against Yuvi in semi final.That is the only weakness I have noticed in him.

I would say that he backs himself playing those cut shots against the spinners which is a high yielding shot for him as long as he keeps playing that with full conviction and having practiced it in the nets extensively.......btw the cut shot of ASAD is not to be put into the category of dinks:misbah and dabs:umarakmal that are associated with our other batsmen.........

Also he came into the team based on back of strong showing in the domestic circuit and that too at the age of 24(mature) which proves that he has the knowledge of what works for him and what not......

Definately the future of Pakistan Cricket as oppossed to tuk tuk Misbah.

I would not say that. Infact out of all the young batsmen he seems to have the least number of shots. But he has a cool mind which is helping him overcome his shot deficiency.

Asad is good batsman. Along with Ahmed Shehzad and Umar akmal, Pakistan is looking good for the future, only if they are persisted with and given enough opportunities prove themselves. These young blokes really have the potential to turn into brilliant limited over players.

To be fair to the team management, he does open regularly in domestic cricket. He is one of my favourite new players, the best thing about him is consistency and reliability.

He does not regularly opens the inning in domestic.

Youngster beauty...best thing about him is that he doesn't give a feeling that he will get out next ball...95% of Pakistani batsmen do give you that feeling...this is a special talent from Pakistan. Don't misuse/mistreat him PCB.

Exactly!

He brings in a sense of stability and calmness whenever he comes out to bat. Can definitely develop into a batsman we can really count on.

No, he doesn't. :facepalm:

Judging by Asad's eyes - it seems as if he's half indonesian, he just has those warrior eyes and you can just see how good his concentrations are when he's about to play a shot.

A composed talented batsman who has a big future ahead of him - he must be developed well if we are to witness his full potential consistently, a good start for him and let's hope he can continue the good performances - so far so good.

cool as a cucumber.... never tries to over hit the ball.... mashaALLAH a great lad to have.. may ALLAH help him succeed.. aameen

Extremely impressed by his pulls, handling the short ball is something everybody tries to expose when out of the subcontinent.
And on the talk that he doesn't have all the shots in the book...just because he doesn't play those unnecessary stupid shots does not mean he doesn't know to play them.

he is impressive but his real test will be against the swinging ball in swinging conditions against the top bowling. Hope he succeeds.

From what i seen he needs to improve against spin and his play through the offside. He is very good of his legs and seems to have a great temperement.

His approach in his first ever ODI (when this thread was created) showed to me that this guy is different from a lot of batsmen we have produced in the past. He might not have the shots that Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad have, but he has a solid mind and he plays well within his limitations. Best of all, he bats with a positive (not stupid :afridi ) mind and does not feel the need to score unnecessarily quickly. Bigger tests will come when we are not off to such a quick start like in this match, or when we are chasing bigger totals, but he is definitely very impressive. Him and Umar Akmal give us all hope.

3 out of 4 successful run chases in recent Pak matches, and he has been the key batsman in all of them.

:inzi ----------> :shafiq
AZ bhai PLEASE do not support him aap ne jis jis ko support kia hai barbaad huwa hai :butt:ahmed:umarakmal

His approach in his first ever ODI (when this thread was created) showed to me that this guy is different from a lot of batsmen we have produced in the past. He might not have the shots that Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad have, but he has a solid mind and he plays well within his limitations. Best of all, he bats with a positive (not stupid :afridi ) mind and does not feel the need to score unnecessarily quickly. Bigger tests will come when we are not off to such a quick start like in this match, or when we are chasing bigger totals, but he is definitely very impressive. Him and Umar Akmal give us all hope.

Talent is overrated :asif

It is how effective one's contribution is what matters , that is why i also feel :fawad should also be given a proper run . They both work hard and Shaffy has a good head on his shoulders . If Fawad is also as sensible , then he will improve his game himself .

It is how effective one's contribution is what matters , that is why i also feel :fawad should also be given a proper run . They both work hard and Shaffy has a good head on his shoulders . If Fawad is also as sensible , then he will improve his game himself .
I agree.

What I've liked most about him is the ability to rotate the strike. Too many Pakistani batsmen become occupied with hogging the strike all the time. He's shown great maturity in realizing the importance of singles and doubles. What was most refreshing was him frustrating the Windies by taking quick singles. Shoaib Malik used to be a master at rotating the strike, when Misbah retires he should definitely be in contention for the spot.

Extremely impressed by his pulls, handling the short ball is something everybody tries to expose when out of the subcontinent.
And on the talk that he doesn't have all the shots in the book...just because he doesn't play those unnecessary stupid shots does not mean he doesn't know to play them.

haha that's a very good point.

id like to add what i have observed to be most pleasing is that he stretches himself with respect to his abilities, now that he is becoming more assured of his spot, he is becoming more offensive in his stroke play. i am sure with more confidence he will try to become a more aggressive player.

the only thing that still worries me about him is that in begining of innings he wants to feel ball on bat, he plays defensive strokes to balls well wide of off he should be leaving alone. against good bowlers of unhelpful pitches that could be a problem.

still very excited by the boy, he also seems to be working on his fielding. didnt see too many quick singles run to him in the odi.

That's true, but I think mental strength itself is a talent. As for Fawad, to be quite honest, I don't see a place for him in our current lineup. Maybe when Misbah retires, Fawad can be considered for a spot. I feel he severely needs to increase his ability to score quickly when the situation demands it though. I have no doubt he has the temperament to play for Pakistan, but he can't cut the same mark as Akmal and Shafiq; and there is only space for two of them atm.

On another note, I think it is unfair how people are saying Umar Akmal doesn't have a strong head. Come on, he's 20 years old and mostly he plays supremely well under pressure. He does have the occasional brain explosion, but for the most part, he is a solid bad too.

That's true, but I think mental strength itself is a talent. As for Fawad, to be quite honest, I don't see a place for him in our current lineup. Maybe when Misbah retires, Fawad can be considered for a spot. I feel he severely needs to increase his ability to score quickly when the situation demands it though. I have no doubt he has the temperament to play for Pakistan, but he can't cut the same mark as Akmal and Shafiq; and there is only space for two of them atm.

On another note, I think it is unfair how people are saying Umar Akmal doesn't have a strong head. Come on, he's 20 years old and mostly he plays supremely well under pressure. He does have the occasional brain explosion, but for the most part, he is a solid bad too.
to be honest Asad's successes have often come with a low target, and solidly building an innings at an average strike rate. We have yet to see him score big and quick. What I will say about Asad is yes, he looks like he'll handle game situation better than fawad.

I think fawad was hard done. Never should have been batting as low as 5 or 6 (or even 7). Should have been preferably 3 or 4. Both fawad and asad are mostly build an innings type players. They're not able to hit quick from ball one like guys like umar akmal.

People criticize Umar Akmal more because he is a naturally gifted player while Shafiq and Fawad are the kind of players who struggle and work hard to keep the scoreboard ticking . So obviously , more will be expected from :umarakmal . We just want him to take his talent seriously and realize that he still has to keep his calm and learn instead of taking it for granted .

to be honest Asad's successes have often come with a low target, and solidly building an innings at an average strike rate. We have yet to see him score big and quick. What I will say about Asad is yes, he looks like he'll handle game situation better than fawad.

I think fawad was hard done. Never should have been batting as low as 5 or 6 (or even 7). Should have been preferably 3 or 4. Both fawad and asad are mostly build an innings type players. They're not able to hit quick from ball one like guys like umar akmal.

Agreed - he was not given a fair enough run in the ODI side, and nor was he playing in the right position. There was no space for him in the top five with YK, MoYo and Misbah in the team for quite a while. Shafiq was lucky he was given his chance at a time when YK was not performing particularly well, and he has cemented a position there. He will have bigger tests soon, but I think he has what it takes to succeed. I know Fawad will get a good run soon enough when Misbah retires if he keeps his domestic form up. I guess one good thing about Mohsin Khan these days is he is selecting players who are performing well in domestic cricket - Shafiq, Misbah [for SA Test Series etc], Azhar Ali, Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad (though he needs to up his performance) and for the most part, it is paying off.

Asad is on his way to a long and productive career. Wish him all the best and I hope he isn't devoured by politics.

Yet he's been our top performer of late.

bro , topping a mediocre batting line up is not much to boast of . just because i want him to do better does not mean i am criticizing him or want him out . He score 50s 60s 70s - good but i think we need a batsman who can go on to play longer .

Read my earlier posts , i have always said that if we want him to develop into a complete batsman , he has to come up the order . he is being wasted as a slogger .

bro , topping a mediocre batting line up is not much to boast of . just because i want him to do better does not mean i am criticizing him or want him out . He score 50s 60s 70s - good but i think we need a batsman who can go on to play longer .

Read my earlier posts , i have always said that if we want him to develop into a complete batsman , he has to come up the order . he is being wasted as a slogger .

He's been batting at #6 of late. Can;t expect him to get 100s from that spot. It's unfair to say that he's been barbaad.

Agreed - he was not given a fair enough run in the ODI side, and nor was he playing in the right position. There was no space for him in the top five with YK, MoYo and Misbah in the team for quite a while. Shafiq was lucky he was given his chance at a time when YK was not performing particularly well, and he has cemented a position there. He will have bigger tests soon, but I think he has what it takes to succeed. I know Fawad will get a good run soon enough when Misbah retires if he keeps his domestic form up. I guess one good thing about Mohsin Khan these days is he is selecting players who are performing well in domestic cricket - Shafiq, Misbah [for SA Test Series etc], Azhar Ali, Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad (though he needs to up his performance) and for the most part, it is paying off.
Let's hope so. :D

I too am a fan of picking the guys who perform on the domestic circuit, not just trying to find the "talented" cricketers. If they're not amongst the top run scorers in domestic, why do we expect them to magically do better internationally? Doesn't make any sense. Yes some of those tried out will be poor internationally but able to pile up the runs domestically, but the percentage of these guys will be far less who fail, than those picked who couldn't hack it even in domestic. Guys like Imran Nazir spring to mind.

I'd like fawad to be given a test place first before ODIs. He's always going to be subject to criticism in limited overs if he scores or not. Better to give him a run in tests, prove his worth to everyone, then give him an ODI spot later.

He's been batting at #6 of late. Can;t expect him to get 100s from that spot. It's unfair to say that he's been barbaad.

you repeated my last point basically . PCB is doing to our batsmen what BCCI does to Indian bowlers .

Asad along with Azhar are the batsman who will carry Pakistan batting in the future. I know majority of fans in Pakistan want our batsman to hit sixes and fours every second delivery and these two will never receive any recognition but they are quality prospect with proper temperament and will be the backbone of our batting for a long time to come.

After quite some time we have produced test batsman hopefully this trend will continue because I have had enough of thoughtless sloggers who throw their wicket away time and again without any patience or ability to play long innings.

Last edited:
asad will improve even more in future and he will start hitting more, as more experienced he becomes, unlike the thaughts of some pessimists, he is definitely our future

Been really impressed with Shafiq so far today

I thought of bumping this thread but didn't want to jinx him! :D

He is fighting it out..Hopefully, there's another marathon partnership between him and Misbah in store for us!

Asad Shafiq has been the least hyped but the most promising of our Young batsmen, InshaAllah he can play a match winning knock in this match along with Misbah

this is Asad's moment....inshaAllah he will score his maiden century in this match

Hes had his lucky moments, but hes looked solid in between as well

Strange day

What a player! You can look into his eyes to know how good a player he is.

Basically watches every nuances of the ball and plays shot on merit!

The only flaw he has he cuts the ball too much needs improve his shot selection

p.s: and he is making Karachi proud :p

Luck is on his side.. plus, he's batting very well now! Came in to bat at an EXTREMELY tough situation but he hung in there. Hopefully, he'll score big in this innings!

I really like Asad's calmness at the crease. Insha'Allah he'll continue with the good work tomorrow and take us home.

Back