The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

He is a rubbish batsman - I dnt know why Ppsioners regards him so highly.

I would rather have : Ahmed Shahzad opening - he is real talent but needs guidance.

I agree - Ahmad Shahzad is a serious talent, but that is no reason why Shafiq should not be in the squad; for my money, he is your ideal no. 3. My squad for ODIs would be (in batting order):

Hafeez, Shahzad, Asad, Younis, U Akmal (WK), Misbah, Hammad Azam, Afridi, Ajmal, Gul, Cheema/Junaid

I would like to have Umar batting between Younis and Misbah - having Shafiq at one-drop would make our top order more solid, hence protecting Younis who is getting more shaky starts as he ages.

Both Hammad Azam and Shahzad would provide additional part-time bowling options.

This guy is so underrated! Our fans like to hype the bash bash players but run getters we don't like.

Both Asad and Umar should have permanent spots in our ODI team. It's an absolute joke that even Malik got to play ahead of Asad who has not done much wrong since he burst onto the scene in the England tour.

Farhat will never be dropped so that is where Asad's problem is as our middle order is packed. I would drop Malik and play Asad at #4 squash him between Younis and Misbah.

I honestly believe that the best batting position for Asad is at 3 and Umar should follow him at 4. With Younis Khan still playing ODI cricket, Asad needs to open the innings.

I honestly believe that the best batting position for Asad is at 3 and Umar should follow him at 4. With Younis Khan still playing ODI cricket, Asad needs to open the innings.

Spot on. Time of Younis to retire for onedays. Asad need to play at 1 down.

Hammad and amin should get a go at 6

To repeat, he should never have been dropped. He's forever playing for his spot in the side because he comes in as a last choice and what's worse is he's having to open, which I don't think he even does in domestics. Everyone cries about the injustice with Akmal but at least he starts in every game. They should have watched Asad in England and the WC to identify a solid young prospect and run with him.

Malik's contribution is zero (and his bowling sucks), should be kicked out with a steel-toe boot and not return. Seriously, how long are Shoaib and Sania going to go on world tours just to watch each other fail.. can't they collect stamps or something instead? :facepalm:

:)):)):))

fail sport couple

He is a rubbish batsman - I dnt know why Ppsioners regards him so highly.

I would rather have : Ahmed Shahzad opening - he is real talent but needs guidance.

As an opener his technique is worse!!

Seems like no-one appreciated his knock today.

Although it was run-a-ball, I thought he looked comfortable at the crease and was looking to rotate the strike.

Scored vital runs just needs to up the strike rate in T20.

Got out at the right time today too ;)

Quite an underrated striker is Shafiq, he has freewheel with the best of 'em when the mood strikes him MashaAllah

I think Shafiq's a bit too tense though

He played a great supporting innings today.

Seems like no 3 is ideal for him. Wanted to watch him and Umar score a partnership

Should Pakistan stop Asad Shafiq's test career?

I think Asad Shafiq is a better ODI player than a Test player. Should Pakistan remove him from the test squad and select a left hander like Fawad Alam or Umar Amin in test team instead? And remove YK from the ODI squad and play Asad Shafiq in his place?

Asad shafiq is just not cut out for the international level. He needs to spend a lot of time in the domestic circuit and iron out the flaws in his technique. Umar Akmal should replace him. Will provide with some positive energy in the batting order

And you say this based on the fact that he got out during a difficult period in the game to bat with England having taken the new ball and the pitch being covered half in shadow and half in sunlight, making it more difficult for the batsmen to spot the ball.

Good analysis. :facepalm:

I think Umer Akmal should replace Asad in the test team and Asad should replace Younis in the ODI team.......

Well he needs a consistent run in the ODI Side

One match he is playing at 6 and in the next match he is Opening the Innings
then is moved to number 3 for some reason

As for Tests he did score a Century even though it was vs Bangla
i would say this Series should be the deciding Factor for his Future in the Test Team

Umar Amin has been useless this season so NO
Fawad Alam needs to be in the Test Squad ahead of Imran Farhat

YK needs to retire from ODIs

Pakistan badly needs a left-hand batsman in middle order. Fawad Alam and Umar Amin are the 2 left-hand batsmen I know from Pakistan domestic. Anybody else?

I would not play Umar Akmal in test yet. The guy is not matured enough for test yet.

And you say this based on the fact that he got out during a difficult period in the game to bat with England having taken the new ball and the pitch being covered half in shadow and half in sunlight, making it more difficult for the batsmen to spot the ball.

:))) Looks the kind of excuse Shafiq's mom would make to offer some kind of justification for her son's dismissal. Classic!

Aadha saaya aur aadhi dhoop.. meray betay ki kia ghalti hai!!

Asad Shafiq- Major Issue

Hanging his bat to a ball moving away. Roach, Welagedara and now Anderson have got his wicket in a similar fashion however it seems no work is being done on this weakness of his which is quite a major one. Other then this i think he's a pretty good batsman is more talented then Azhar as he can play on both sides of the wicket and is ok against spin but this weakness of his will stop him from having a fruitful career.

Last edited:
he needs to be dropped and umar akmal should be in preferably btween YK and misbah. Shafiq at no. 6 just doesn't work.

HE has a problem that Mohsin and co cant stop. You need an experienced coaching hand for the young players because people from domestic are riddled with issues.

Whatmore or bust.

shafiq has been given chances, umar akmal is better bat than him. YK should vacate ODI so we can play shafiq. Gotta bring umar amin in as leftie guy is good, in couple of yrs when misbah n yk gone we will need someone ready to come in. We screwed up when inzi left noone to cover for him still.

:))) Looks the kind of excuse Shafiq's mom would make to offer some kind of justification for her son's dismissal. Classic!

Aadha saaya aur aadhi dhoop.. meray betay ki kia ghalti hai!!

:)) Ok good one, but I'm just merely restating what was said on air by the commentators. I'm not a Shafiq fan, but it's not right to lay into him after just one bad innings.

There's a real problem with this guy for some reason. His technique is good enough really. In ODIs he seems to score well when it's a small target, doesn't score when it's a big target (unless weak opposition). In tests he scores when we've got runs on the board as we saw against Sri Lanka and South africa but when we are in trouble at six and really need him to pull through, he gets out. Doesn't handle the pressure when things are getting hard for pakistan coming in at six. Good at scoring slowly in minimal pressure situations. Hasn't proved anything else so far sadly.

Getting really fustrating. As many fans though during the match, no one really had much faith in Asad. When you're carrying someone at six whom it seems like both the fans and the team itself has little faith in bailing you out, it just makes that tail look even longer.

Adnan had similar conditions !!

Adnan had similar conditions !!

Adnan to hai hi cheetah na yaar. ;)

I just think it's wrong of people to call for Shafiq's head based on one performance only. Whether he deserved to be in the playing XI in the first place or not is another story.

All I have to say....I am glad some of you are the pak team management otherwise we would have a new playing XI every bloody test match!! Asad Shafiq will be the the mainstay of Pak batting in years to come..just wait and watch!

Shafiq is young enough to benefit from a good batting coach. Someone like Taufeeq though will find it hard to improve his technique.

But the real concern is the conditions our cricketers have to play under. It's no wonder that England are so much better than other teams against the swinging ball, they are used to the conditions. Our batsmen grow up in conditions where the heat kills off any grass and the weather does not allow lateral movement. So the moment there is any swing they get out.

I think Asad Shafiq is a better ODI player than a Test player. Should Pakistan remove him from the test squad and select a left hander like Fawad Alam or Umar Amin in test team instead? And remove YK from the ODI squad and play Asad Shafiq in his place?

Umer Amin can't score runs on flat pitches in FC cricket and you want him to be in the test team,Why?

After one failure? Talk about overeaction What a rubbish thread!

yes for sure and end Misbah Younis Gull Akmal Hafeez Taufeeq Azhar Cheema Ajmal Rehman's career ..

Asad has a lot of technical problems, he struggles against spin and swing equally. He doesn't get to the pitch of the ball and opens the face of the bat too early. Good for odis but in test you need good defence which he lacks. Head I call.

I think we should play Umar Akmal instead, in Azhar Ali, YK and Misbah we have enough steadiness

Usman Salahuddin is the one we should be introducing, he has been topping the domestic for the past two seasons.

He did well enough against england on his debut, scored 55 runs in both innings which is good enough debut against england where everyone else failed.

I think we have Umar Akmal , do not need to introduce Haris sohail or usman Salahuddin at the moment. We need a batsman who can accelerate as well when needed at number 6 , salahuddin and haris are basically tuk tuks.

Last edited:
Typical childish over reaction .

Whats next? Drop Azhar Ali as well since he only scored 1 with SR of 12.5 ?

Asad Shafiq along with Azhar Ali will be the backbone of Pakistan batting line up.

This is typical PP reaction. The guy is averaging close to 40 batting at 6, shows true grit, scored a century last match and now he should be chucked out. It's because of people like you guys that Taufeeq spent years om the sideline whilst Hameed, Farhat and co opened for Pak as an excuse to play their favourite sport, fishing.

We all know how he scored a century against a mediocre bowling with 'ease' . Can't play swing and is terrible against spin. At number 6 you need someone who can defend well and can acceleratealso when needed. He is poor at both , can't defend well and can't accelerate. .

Typical childish over reaction .

Whats next? Drop Azhar Ali as well since he only scored 1 with SR of 12.5 ?

Asad Shafiq along with Azhar Ali will be the backbone of Pakistan batting line up.

Difference being Azhar Ali had an excellent 2011 batting in a far more difficult position

This is typical PP reaction. The guy is averaging close to 40 batting at 6, shows true grit, scored a century last match and now he should be chucked out. It's because of people like you guys that Taufeeq spent years om the sideline whilst Hameed, Farhat and co opened for Pak as a and n excuse to play their favourite sport, fishing.

Tbh best we will get from him is a 50 at 30sr and failure in the other 4/5 innings.

We all know how he scored a century against a mediocre bowling with 'ease' . Can't play swing and is terrible against spin. At number 6 you need someone who can defend well and can acceleratealso when needed. He is poor at both , can't defend well and can't accelerate. .

I agree that he has a problem with acceleration. However, he has done well in the recent past and absolutely deserved selection. In any case, everyone here was absolutely sure that the PCB Board XI we fielded was full of superstars of the domestic circuit and yet apart from Fawad, they all looked out of depth. So who exactly would you like to replace Asad with? Fawad is out of favour, U Akmal is the most talented but rather brainless, so who is left?

The only way I see Asad exiting the team is if two things happen. 1) consistent failure and 2) resurgence of U Akmal. As of yet, I don't see evidence of either so Asad can stay put.

Tbh best we will get from him is a 50 at 30sr and failure in the other 4/5 innings.

If that's the case then we will have to see when it happens. But justifying the exclusion of a batsman who has been consistent on the basis that 'well, I predict he won't be consistent in the future' is just plain crazy.

Adnan to hai hi cheetah na yaar. ;)

I just think it's wrong of people to call for Shafiq's head based on one performance only. Whether he deserved to be in the playing XI in the first place or not is another story.

His style of playing is not suited to number 6. No questions about his talent, Umer Akmal or any other aggressive player needs to come in at number 6

I agree that he has a problem with acceleration. However, he has done well in the recent past and absolutely deserved selection. In any case, everyone here was absolutely sure that the PCB Board XI we fielded was full of superstars of the domestic circuit and yet apart from Fawad, they all looked out of depth. So who exactly would you like to replace Asad with? Fawad is out of favour, U Akmal is the most talented but rather brainless, so who is left?

The only way I see Asad exiting the team is if two things happen. 1) consistent failure and 2) resurgence of U Akmal. As of yet, I don't see evidence of either so Asad can stay put.

If that's the case then we will have to see when it happens. But justifying the exclusion of a batsman who has been consistent on the basis that 'well, I predict he won't be consistent in the future' is just plain crazy.

You have some good points but sometimes you just know that there is a better option ie england in Australia finn dropped for bresnan. I think umar is improving and deserves a chance. Of course I would be delighted if Shafiq proved me wrong.

Have we got a better player than him waiting? YES, Umar Akmal. So yes we should drop him and play U.Akmal instead.

Umar will come and score once and live off it for the next 5 months thats what we dont need just give the guy a chance to be fair it happens

Lol avg of 40 in test and you want him drop based on one bad performance.

Never really been a fan of Shafiq to be honest.

Fawad Alam is miles ahead.

And how can u judge asad shafiq who has scored most of his runs on slow tracks against weak oppositions?
Anyways we will come to know who is international material after this series....

I look at his scores and ranked them;
I ranked those ones as PASS if he scores atleast 50 or remains not out; all other ones are FAIL

so here are his scores with ranking:

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

so out of 15 innings, 6 are pass and 9 are failure.

I ranked those ones as PASS if he scores atleast 50 or remains not out; all other ones are FAIL

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

IMO scoring 40+ shouldn't count as fail especially for a guy batting at 6

He just doesn't inspire any confidence in me. He started well today when he hit that four off Swann, but then I don't know, he just went back into a shell.

He's technically very good and I feel like he can replace Misbah, but he's gotta work on SOMETHING. I just don't know what that something is.

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

Lol @ 42 being failure.

Also the 24 was a match saving inning, where he played 100+ balls to draw the match. So that's not a failure.

Even then, 6 good innings and 9 bad innings isn't bad at all for a young batsman who just made his debut.

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

Ur post is a fail - any score of 40 or over for a newish batsmen is a pass

Shafiq avg is38-40. That makes him a good batsmen.

He played one bad innings and all the pakistan player cricket fans started jumping up and down

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

Okay, using your method, which seems to think anything less then 50 is fail, here is U.Akmals last 15 innings.

8 FAIL
4 FAIL
4 FAIL
17 FAIL
20 FAIL
38 FAIL
16* PASS
6 FAIL
79* PASS
4 FAIL
33 FAIL
47 FAIL
56 PASS
30 FAIL
15 FAIL

15 innings, 3 Passes and 12 failures.

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

That 26 not out was an epic failure innings , did not play according to situation when he was needed to accelerate, 42 however was not a failure. equation still the same.

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

So a 7 not out is a pass but a 42 is a fail...

FAIL! :facepalm:

any formula will have its detractors. I think 50 is a good threshold for No. 6 spot. Also I cannot fail a person if he is not out.

Asad Shafiq needs to up his game. His stats are bad but not as bad as I thought they would be. Still 2nd inning in 1st test is probably his last chance in test cricket.

You need a matchwinner at 6, and Asad will never win Pakistan a game. He might support us in some good wins, but he won't ever play anything more than a minor role in a victory unless he improves significantly

If Shafiq fails in his next innings he needs to be replaced asap by Umar Akmal. Atleast Umar Akmal will get you a quick 40 or 50. Asad Shafiq looks inept against the stronger bowling attacks.

about time Umar was brought back, Shafiq is not a no.6 batsman, more like no.4 or 5...

Usman Salahuddin is the one we should be introducing, he has been topping the domestic for the past two seasons.

He did well enough against england on his debut, scored 55 runs in both innings which is good enough debut against england where everyone else failed.

Why are you ignoring the fact that Fawad Alam scored a fifty in that match, how come Usman who was outscored by Alam deserves a go ahead of him?

All I have to say....I am glad some of you are the pak team management otherwise we would have a new playing XI every bloody test match!! Asad Shafiq will be the the mainstay of Pak batting in years to come..just wait and watch!

This !

Okay, using your method, which seems to think anything less then 50 is fail, here is U.Akmals last 15 innings.

8 FAIL
4 FAIL
4 FAIL
17 FAIL
20 FAIL
38 FAIL
16* PASS
6 FAIL
79* PASS
4 FAIL
33 FAIL
47 FAIL
56 PASS
30 FAIL
15 FAIL

15 innings, 3 Passes and 12 failures.

:)))

Shafiq is averaging more than Umar Akmal , at least give him as many tests as Umar Akmal before deciding what to do with him . And why Umar Akmal , actually ? Fawad Alam averages over 40 , he should be given the opportunity after Shafiq .

This !

:)))

Shafiq is averaging more than Umar Akmal , at least give him as many tests as Umar Akmal before deciding what to do with him . And why Umar Akmal , actually ? Fawad Alam averages over 40 , he should be given the opportunity after Shafiq .

But Fawad 's batting technique isn't pretty and Umer Akmal can hit big sixes.So based on that Umer Akmal should be ahead of him

Last edited:
To all those wanting U Akmal back - you are the same people who were calling for his head when he was ahead of Shafiq in the pecking order. We all know U Akmal is an outstanding talent, but he will play an outrageous shot in a critical situation that will make your blood boil.

Even I want Umer's fire-power in the line-up. But is it fair to drop Shafiq when he really hasn't done much wrong? An average close to 40 is pretty good stuff for a number 6.

I know he had a century in his last game but I dont rate him either. Doesn't really inspire confidence in me.

61 PASS
83 PASS
0 FAIL
24 FAIL
2 FAIL
42 FAIL
0 FAIL
4 FAIL
26* PASS
59 PASS
16 FAIL
7* PASS
104 PASS
42 FAIL
16 FAIL

Do the same for Umar Akmal

Back