The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

You guys are quick to jump to conclusions.This guy is a hard worker and ideally suited to Test Cricket.He should bat at 4.

Test and ODIs ^

T20 - he needs to improve there

Having said that , he has a great temperament and he will definitely improve from here .

Last edited:
Well played today. Hope he keeps his head on his shoulders and sees off the new ball.

Testing time coming for him. I wish him all the best and desperately wants him to score a ton!

Didn't play a good shot in the 1st innings which got him out. But Asad is a fighter and he should be our #6 test batsman for the next couple of years.

I believe he should also be in the ODI team ahead of Azhar and Younus.

What a waste? Even a lay man can swear by this guys lack of potential

only thing which can save his place is a 100 in 2nd innings also what is available on bench Azhar Ali :(

This guy has lost it. Can't perform in ODI's OR Tests. Replace with Azhar Ali, Umar Akmal, Haris Sohail, Fawad Alam or Sohaib Maqsood please.

Maqsood should replace him..

Manzoor, Shehzad, YK, Misbah, Maqsood and Hafeez should be the top 6.

^

Fawad Alam
Khurram Manzoor
Azhar Ali
Younis Khan
Misbah Ul Haq
Sohaib Maqsood
Mohammad Rizwan
A. Rehman / Z. Babar
Saeed Ajmal
Mohammad Irfan
Junaid Khan

12th man: Sadaf Hussain (when a 3rd pacer is required)

Pathetic batting from him in this innings and the previous one, he is batting like a nightwatchman.

Has to be dropped his negative approach is pathetic.

The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread [Merged]

Bhatti does a Broad and refuses to walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One innings he is brilliant and the next three he bats like a tailender. He needs to be consistent or :haris

chop change chop change..no wonder our players never find consistency..

He's player every test for last 3 years yet he is unable to take his game to the next level next innings should be his last for a while if he fails.

he is beginning to really annoy me also and lots of other fans who are a bit tired of his negative and "going nowhere" approach to batting. However he shouldnt be dropped just yet as this is automatically the last test for a while before focus shifts to Limited overs where he is not an automatic selection anyway.

Besides 2 hundreds (albeit in a losing cause) agaisnt steyn and co should count for something..

he should be in the Test team its hard to find any decent batsman and he is more than decent

I'd persist with him till the SL tour and depending on the result will make the decision accordingly for the Australia serie because there are some other players that we could play at 6 such as Umar, Maqsood, Haris etc.

As i mentioned on another topic, a player who refuses to learn from his mistakes should be dropped and worked on in domestic circuit.

Asad Shafiq gets out the same way in almost every match...if a bowler is getting even a hint of outswing, he is a walking wicket ...even if the bowler is bowling 75-77 mph pies as was evident in Zimbabwe

Sehban bhai, how do you expect our Test-only cricketers to improve when they play Test cricket on a very very disjointed basis? Players who are only in the Test side and do not travel with the limited overs sides are going to find it very hard to be consistently at the international level due to the lack of quality cricket.

Shafiq is a gem and should be prospered with. Has one or two technical weaknesses which can be ironed out but he is class. Should be taken along in ODI squads as well so he can further his game and work on these weaknesses.

An okay batsman who got unnecessary heat from the Umar Akmal fan club for obvious reasons but he can walk away with his head held high because he provided good service.

Those who want him back in the ODI setup have no clue unfortunately. He is probably as bad an ODI batsman as Younis is.

He should not be a fixture in the Test XI anymore, but can do a job as a reserve.

An okay batsman who got unnecessary heat from the Umar Akmal fan club for obvious reasons but he can walk away with his head held high because he provided good service.

Those who want him back in the ODI setup have no clue unfortunately. He is probably as bad an ODI batsman as Younis is.

He should not be a fixture in the Test XI anymore, but can do a job as a reserve.

Yeah shouldn't drop him totally but keep him in the reserves.

Asad does not have potential to play in pressure. He only performs where we have completely lost the game or we are too close for winning any game.
Umar akmal is way good batsment compared to asad shafiq however his averages maybe same as asad but he has win matches for pakistan through his batting.
To be honest asad is an average and mediocre batsmen.
The Player who cannot win matches for his country is not a world class player in my view. And unfortunately asad lies in that category.
(This is my personal obversation)!!!!!
This guy got it right even before Asads overrated 111

Asad Shafiq must be made captain in all three formats with Fawad Alam being his deputy with a red card to Afridi, Misbah and Hafeez.
This is the best possible bet we can have towards the improvement of our cricket future.

The team should be supported by JUST ONE coach, and that should be a highshool level batting coach from Mumbai or Delhi India.

And Rashid Lateef should be PCB's chairman.

This is an ideal situation.

Asad Shafiq must be made captain in all three formats with Fawad Alam being his deputy with a red card to Afridi, Misbah and Hafeez.
This is the best possible bet we can have towards the improvement of our cricket future.

The team should be supported by JUST ONE coach, and that should be a highshool level batting coach from Mumbai or Delhi India.

And Rashid Lateef should be PCB's chairman.

This is an ideal situation.
If we want to put up scores of 100 to 150 in ODIs, then yes.

Asad is a decent Test player but even after all these games he still plays like a nervous debutant he doesnt impose himself on any attacks. But unfortunately due to the dearth of batting talent in Pakistan and with Misbah and YKs impending retirements he will be a fixture in the Test team for the forseeable future

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sehban bhai, how do you expect our Test-only cricketers to improve when they play Test cricket on a very very disjointed basis? Players who are only in the Test side and do not travel with the limited overs sides are going to find it very hard to be consistently at the international level due to the lack of quality cricket.

I agree with you..but Asad Shafiq has been given plethora of chances in ODI cricket as well..he has played over 40 games with an average in 20s - that is just not good enough ...I believe players like Fawad Alam and Harris sohail deserve a chance over him

Shafiq isn't a world class batsman and will never be.

I like him as a person but he is not a 45+ averaging batsman. He is a 38 batsman at best.

We have MUCH better batsman

Meh. No need to fix whats not broken. Replacing a batsmen who average 38 for another who averages about the same is no change

By now you'd expect Shafiq to be peaking, at least he should be on about a 45ish average yet he's struggling to average 40. This just shows he isn't the batsman he's made to be. At the age of 28 odd he should have some nice 150s to his name with maybe even a 200 yet he still a rabbit in the headlight and bats as tho he's debuting.
And even then his stats are completely misleading...I'd bank on the 30 odd averaging Khurram Manzoor to have a better chance at scoring a 100 than Asad Shafiq.
The sooner Pakistan moves on from him, the better, :amin is miles better than him as well(that's saying something)

Last edited:
By now you'd expect Shafiq to be peaking, at least he should be on about a 45ish average yet he's struggling to average 40. This just shows he isn't the batsman he's made to be. At the age of 28 odd he should have some nice 150s to his name with maybe even a 200 yet he still a rabbit in the headlight and bats as tho he's debuting.
The sooner Pakistan moves on from him, the better, :amin is miles better than him as well(that's saying something)

Amin is miles better - and his highest test score is? and his highest odi score excluding zim is?
Do people even watch cricket anymore or waste their time posting frivolously.

Meh. No need to fix whats not broken. Replacing a batsmen who average 38 for another who averages about the same is no change
If Pakistan replace him with Fawad Alam in tests, I think Fawad Alam can average 45+ in tests.

If Pakistan replace him with Fawad Alam in tests, I think Fawad Alam can average 45+ in tests.

Fawad has played one innings against SL. Even Hafeez looks like bradman against SL.
Hardly a compelling case.

Amin is miles better - and his highest test score is? and his highest odi score excluding zim is?
Do people even watch cricket anymore or waste their time posting frivolously.
Does the highest test score matter? Did it exactly come in a win? Instead of watching cricket on tables and charts, why don't you actually watch it?
Asad Shafiq is useless, he may score an odd 100 in a losing matter. You can make your entire Pak team up of useless batsman who score when its over but I don't.
Amin is what 23 24ish? At least he has age on his side but Shafiq really has no excuse in being so poor but it doesn't matter does it? Next series, he'll score another magical 100 vs johnson and co whilst chasing 500 because he scored a duck in the first innings- then all will be forgotten :)

Does the highest test score matter? Did it exactly come in a win? Instead of watching cricket on tables and charts, why don't you actually watch it?
Asad Shafiq is useless, he may score an odd 100 in a losing matter. You can make your entire Pak team up of useless batsman who score when its over but I don't.
Amin is what 23 24ish? At least he has age on his side but Shafiq really has no excuse in being so poor but it doesn't matter does it? Next series, he'll score another magical 100 vs johnson and co whilst chasing 500 because he scored a duck in the first innings- then all will be forgotten :)

Lets split this 'response' of yours in to two parts:
part 1 summary: please ignore any standard measures to judge a player
part 2: I am such a huuuuuuuuge amin fan that every one is sooooooooo bad compared to him.
anything else?

Lets split this 'response' of yours in to two parts:
part 1 summary: please ignore any standard measures to judge a player
part 2: I am such a huuuuuuuuge amin fan that every one is sooooooooo bad compared to him.
anything else?
part 1:Umar Akmal scored on DEBUT 129 in New Zealand against Bond and co(also scored 75 in the same match)- scored some 50s in harsh conditions of Aus--All scored at a brisk rate. Asad Shafiq on the other hand cannot handle pressure..He scores when he knows he's scoring for nothing meaning there's no pressure...A number 6 batsman must be able to handle pressure. Two, he can't score big to save his life- he'll get you 80s and 90s with an odd 113 or so.
part 2: Umar Amin is a hack- he is still better than Shafiq.
So what's the probelm :afridi?

part 1:Umar Akmal scored on DEBUT 129 in New Zealand against Bond and co(also scored 75 in the same match)- scored some 50s in harsh conditions of Aus--All scored at a brisk rate. Asad Shafiq on the other hand cannot handle pressure..He scores when he knows he's scoring for nothing meaning there's no pressure...A number 6 batsman must be able to handle pressure. Two, he can't score big to save his life- he'll get you 80s and 90s with an odd 113 or so.

so...just so that we are clear, two posts ago you were talking about scoring but not contributing to a victory and then you pull out umar akmal efforts in matches we lost..and you continue to muse about umer amin without any real logic.
carry on - this was too easy. the smiley indicated the strength of the argument

Fawad has played one innings against SL. Even Hafeez looks like bradman against SL.
Hardly a compelling case.
I am not basing my entire case based on that 1 inning. I am also looking at his domestic stats where he averages a lot more than Asad Shafiq. He is averaging 50+ in domestics so we can expect him to average 45+ in international test matches at least. Thats 7 runs better than what Asad Shafiq is averaging in international test matches.

so...just so that we are clear, two posts ago you were talking about scoring but not contributing to a victory and then you pull out umar akmal efforts in matches we lost..and you continue to muse about umer amin without any real logic.
carry on - this was too easy. the smiley indicated the strength of the argument
You see though, Asad is living off one performance- Granted his 111 was top notch but has he done anything other than that? That is my question...This isn't just Tests now, this is apart of all forms of cricket. People were getting happy after he hit 4 4s- that's his standard...Not exactly a high bar is it?
I pulled out Umar Akmal because I believe jr should take Asad's exact spot...I spoke of his 129 because it was his first game...it was away in NZ against a bowler who would easily have become an ATG(who was currently running through Pak) showing that Umar can handle pressure- Shafiqs biggest problem
I mused about Umar Amin because he has done nothing(exactly like Shafiq) therefore since both of them are hacks I could compare them. I based it upon ability where Umar Amin easily takes it- There have been glimpses of his ability like how he handled the swinging ball.
Both Shafiq and Amin are certified hacks however Amin has a few things going for him. Judging by how awful Amin has been, it clearly shows how lowly I think of Shafiq if I am placing him below Amin.

I am in favour of replacing Shafiq with Akmal in Tests but your criticism of Shafiq is harsh, especially if you are comparing him to Akmal. The performances you mentioned of Umar, both in New Zealand and Australia were also in matches lost. But that doesn't diminish the quality of those innings by much imo. And if you want to talk about harsh conditions, I think centuries in Cape Town and even in the UAE vs the current South African attack fall under the same category.

I am not basing my entire case based on that 1 inning. I am also looking at his domestic stats where he averages a lot more than Asad Shafiq. He is averaging 50+ in domestics so we can expect him to average 45+ in international test matches at least. Thats 7 runs better than what Asad Shafiq is averaging in international test matches.
Domestic stats are not the only way to select players, I hope? We don't need selectors then. I don't really see fawad as a replacement for Shafiq in tests. I do feel fawad alam will have a good run for Pakistan in the next two years, as we will play mostly at home and against Sri Lanka.

Domestic stats are not the only way to select players, I hope? We don't need selectors then. I don't really see fawad as a replacement for Shafiq in tests. I do feel fawad alam will have a good run for Pakistan in the next two years, as we will play mostly at home and against Sri Lanka.

Fawad will do better than shafiq in any condition.. he is a solid 45 plus average batsman. Shafiq can not average more than 38 in his entire career. He has a few good innings with long spaces. Yah we have selectors thats why malik and kamran akmal make their way back again and again and a domestic performer had to wait a long long time for his turn.

Fawad will do better than shafiq in any condition.. he is a solid 45 plus average batsman. Shafiq can not average more than 38 in his entire career. He has a few good innings with long spaces. Yah we have selectors thats why malik and kamran akmal make their way back again and again and a domestic performer had to wait a long long time for his turn.
Why stop at 45 why not 55....
All conjecture, which is fine as well, everyone is allowed an opinion
For me fawad will have a couple of good years playing in UAE against rubbish opposition until we end up in SA or England or Aus. We don't play there much so we fawad can build a career around playing sl at home.
I see nothing in fawad to say that he will be a remotely decent test batsman when we travel.
Will do well against sl,Bangladesh, maybe India
No shame in that, many of our modern 'legends' ( HafeeZ, kami, Malik, afridi) owe their careers to subcontinental bowling.

Mediocrity at its very best.

He still does not average 40 at first class level in 71 games he has played so far.

He has also played 26 tests so far with an average of 36.

Clearly, needs to do something substantial now, otherwise time is running out for him.

Last edited:
I am watching his cricinfo profile and it seems he has not been in a good touch of lately.

Has crossed 20 only once in all forms of cricket in 11 innings at both international and domestic levels since his 130 against South Africa.

Amin is good because age is on his side?

Asad scores deliberate 100s in losing causes?

I will never drop Asad for Amin. Asad is 10 times better than him. Fawad Alam and Haris Sohail only these 2 can replace Asad Shafiq.

Why stop at 45 why not 55....
All conjecture, which is fine as well, everyone is allowed an opinion
For me fawad will have a couple of good years playing in UAE against rubbish opposition until we end up in SA or England or Aus. We don't play there much so we fawad can build a career around playing sl at home.
I see nothing in fawad to say that he will be a remotely decent test batsman when we travel.
Will do well against sl,Bangladesh, maybe India
No shame in that, many of our modern 'legends' ( HafeeZ, kami, Malik, afridi) owe their careers to subcontinental bowling.

Ofcourse he averages 56 in domestic and i wont be surprised if he average 50 plus in test cricket as well. Hafeez kami are mediocre in domestic cricket as well which you conviniently choose to ignore. Asad shafeeq reflects his domestic average in international cricket and thats what he is.. mediocre.
Fawad alam despite his unusual methods knows how to score and thats what is important. Asad scores after an eon of failures.

Horribly inconsistent. Scores hundreds against SA but struggles against the likes of chatara and lakmal. I am really starting to doubt if he is a 40 avg batsmen. He must be consistent if he wants to cement his place as by this age he should have been peaking and should have looked like a batsmen who will take the batting reigns from misbah and younis yet he still looks like he has just played 7 test matches.
He better get his act straight otherwise guys like umar,fawad,haris ojn the back of their strong domestic performances will take his place. Pretty sure if he fails the first test against srilanka he might face the AXE.

Needs to be replaced in tests tbh too

Its true that after 4 years of regular test cricket shafiq still looks and plays like someone who is making his debut - with very little confidence or authority

High time fawad comes in and reclaims his rightful place

Ofcourse he averages 56 in domestic and i wont be surprised if he average 50 plus in test cricket as well. Hafeez kami are mediocre in domestic cricket as well which you conviniently choose to ignore. Asad shafeeq reflects his domestic average in international cricket and thats what he is.. mediocre.
Fawad alam despite his unusual methods knows how to score and thats what is important. Asad scores after an eon of failures.

Too small a sample size to conclude anything on fawad. What is apparent of course is the horrible technique. All for him to prove.

I'm sorry but I had to come in here, says the person who follows Umar Akmal like a bad smell and as far as I am aware you think he is the best thing since slice bread.

That's ok. His avatar is creepy enough as it is.

I am watching his cricinfo profile and it seems he has not been in a good touch of lately.

Has crossed 20 only once in all forms of cricket in 11 innings at both international and domestic levels since his 130 against South Africa.

He scores big every 20 innings and then coasts thinking his spot is set.

I don't say he doesn't have the talent but he severely lacks focus and demeanour.

Too small a sample size to conclude anything on fawad. What is apparent of course is the horrible technique. All for him to prove.

Yah and those who got enough chances failed to make any impression ..

He deserves more chances than the failures because of his stellar domestic record. We will see after that whether he is a failure or not. Technique is overrated anyway , you need to be able to find gaps and score runs.

His game has declined after marriage.

Spoke to him and he said that when he plays we will now see a very different Asad Shafiq..

Amin is good because age is on his side?

Asad scores deliberate 100s in losing causes?

I will never drop Asad for Amin. Asad is 10 times better than him. Fawad Alam and Haris Sohail only these 2 can replace Asad Shafiq.
Amin is better because he can improve due to age..They both are on the same level in terms of being hacks but Asad should be peaking however Amin still has time. Since they both have no feats, one can base it on technique and ability where Amin far outweighs him.
Asad scores when the pressure is off, like his recent 100 vs SA. The number 6 batsman must be able to handle pressure which Asad is a baby in
Apart from Fawad and Haris, there's Akmal, Maqsood and Saluhuddin as well waiting. Kamran Ghulam's another much better option too.

I would not mind Asad Shafiq batting at #5 for the next couple of years as long as he can perform well in Asia. He is a decent player overseas too.

I would not mind Asad Shafiq batting at #5 for the next couple of years as long as he can perform well in Asia. He is a decent player overseas too.

If perform well means playing for your place instead of the team, getting out softly after reaching milestone just to secure your place while team loses, will only result in disaster. This guy should be kicked out at the earliest. This Misbah garbage has ruined the cricket team that had batsmen like Haneef Mohammed, Majid Khan to Javed Miandad who batted out days to save team from defeat.

Back