The Asad Shafiq Discussion Thread

asad shafiq looked impressive in both the matches. he should have played in tests instead of umar amin

he is one of player who get me WANT TO watch match. He looks better than Umar Akmal too. Alot better style.

I remeber Abdul Qadir mentioned his name

he is one of player who get me WANT TO watch match. He looks better than Umar Akmal too. Alot better style.

I remeber Abdul Qadir mentioned his name

Javed Miandad, Shoaib Mohammad, Ijaz Ahmed- all rate him highly.

Both games had pitches that were easy to bat on so I hope people keep this in mind when comparing Shafiq to Umar Amin and Azhar Ali.

Both games had pitches that were easy to bat on so I hope people keep this in mind when comparing Shafiq to Umar Amin and Azhar Ali.

And the pitches that were not easy to bat on they :umarakmal:aaliall failed abysmally, even Lords were a no 9 scored more than PAK both innings

What I was trying to say is it is still too early to say how Shafiq will perform when the ball is moving around.

The last thing we should be doing is extrapolating performance from one format to another.

well at least he batted well on batting pitches...unlike our "seasoned" counterparts who'll make even a flat concrete pitch look unplayable

well at least he batted well on batting pitches...unlike our "seasoned" counterparts who'll make even a flat concrete pitch look unplayable

True. Not minimizing Shafiq's performance just making sure people don't lose perspective.

i hope u people wont be asking for his head after 2,3 bad performances!!

You have not been on this site for long have you?

TRUST ME, if the guy fails in a few games he will get blasted - it's just the way Pak fans operate, one extreme to another - there is no middle ground

He certainly impressed all round - looks a confident young lad and is good in the field BUT it's early days - needs an extended run in the side

Azhar and Asad Shafiq have been fairly impressive, Umar Amin has been a big letdown as I thought he had technique and temperament

do you guys think he is a good fit for Test matches too?

absolutely, don't see any reason why not.

I think all 3 Azhar, Amin and Shafiq are good enough for Test cricket.

absolutely, don't see any reason why not.

I think all 3 Azhar, Amin and Shafiq are good enough for Test cricket.

Amin not. He needs to go back and play some more of that domestic cricket which apparently is not an indicator of talent!

And I hope the selectors don't bring Azhar into ODI's and Shafiq into test cricket without them clearly establishing themselves in one format.

Azhar has been a good talent in Tests,really pleased with his progress in tough conditions,also Shafiq...WHAT A REVELATION ! Great array of shots and shown good technique.

do you guys think he is a good fit for Test matches too?

He certainly looks suited to the test game - rotates the strike very well and puts pressure on the fielders

BUT I feel that players should usually play in one format for a decent period of time before being introduced to another - though we don't exactly have lots of options so he probably will be in the side for test matches

He certainly looks suited to the test game - rotates the strike very well and puts pressure on the fielders

BUT I feel that players should usually play in one format for a decent period of time before being introduced to another - though we don't exactly have lots of options so he probably will be in the side for test matches

yep I agree

Agreed. If the PCB see a debutant having a good start to his career in ODI then they think he has the talent to play in all three formats.

Just look at India - the likes of Laxman and one of the best spinners Indian spinners Kumble hardly featured in ODI and T20.

A recent example would be Raina who made his Test debut even though playing ODI cricket for 4 years - and it's benefited him alot.

^^^ plus there are some very serious question marks on his integrity at the moment ....

hope u get a banana pitch for next ODI.. maybe then we can test him.. looked good on flat surface..

Looks like a match winner, he plays for the team which is really important. Plus he is always rotating strike. Looks good for limited overs, I would play him in tests for uae, since its going to be a flat track.

The wickets have been flat but he is quite stylish and at least nice to watch. Here is to hoping for a long career.

hope they give him a long run and dont drop him after a couple of failures which are bound to happen at some time...

from what iv seen he has the technique and temprament to succeed in international cricket

We badly needed some batting talent, things are looking much better for pakistan in that department, with Hafeez finding confidence even though this guy has had to make way for Farhat in Tests, what a joke. He can field and most importantly he can catch. With Azhar,Alam and Shafiq and Umar Akmal the future looks bright and there is potential in all.

With new players coming in and performing, there is healthy competition thus keeping players fighting to keep their places.

Out of the batsmen we have seen on this tour, he is one of the good ones.

It is a good find for Pakistan. It would've been better had he been given a chance in the Tests.

Having said that, the wickets for the test matches were quite different than the ones he has played on. We need to see him for some extended matches to see what he is really made of

I don't care if the wkts were imported from Pakistan. He showed great temperment and a level head in finding gaps for singles. His running was superb as was his calling. I really like the kid.

Lad continues to impress

Hard worker, good runner and looks to hit the gaps all the time. Also very good timer of the ball from what I've seen

Good batting BUT a very bad time to lose a wicket. He should have realised he wouldnt have been able to hit it as much as he would have like and instead he should have tried to work it

Good batting but lost the plot, needs to bat more with Yousef/YK.

you have to remember that he just started his career and a long way to go. He will learn from the mistakes He showed a good temperament looks very good against spinner but i am not too sure how he played against fast bowler.

We need to persevere with this guy.
Despite his dismissal due to in-experience, he looks a very good prospect.

you have to remember that he just started his career and a long way to go. He will learn from the mistakes He showed a good temperament looks very good against spinner but i am not too sure how he played against fast bowler.

More or less at ease

everytime he scored its a slap across the faces of those people that want players selected on looks rather than FC performance.

He played a shot today off Swann. a minimal pull on the leg side, reminded me of Dravid whenever he plays against spinners. He'll be lucky to be as good as Dravid but we can all hope.

He played a shot today off Swann. a minimal pull on the leg side, reminded me of Dravid whenever he plays against spinners. He'll be lucky to be as good as Dravid but we can all hope.

Pakistan will be extremely lucky to produde a batsman of Dravid's pedigree in both tests and ODIs

Too early to be comparing a rookie (a good one at that) to a legend of the game

Pakistan will be extremely lucky to produde a batsman of Dravid's pedigree in both tests and ODIs

Too early to be comparing a rookie (a good one at that) to a legend of the game

I rather compared the shot rather then the player.

another good knock, but showed inexperience when he went for one big shot too many...looked great at 3.

Another good knock from Asad today. Disappointed at the way he threw his wicket. But it's just his 4th match.

Btw, he's batted at 3 different positions in 4 ODI's.

Asad Shafiq

He hasn't played a whole lot but I guess the best Pak batsman who plays with full confidence and has the correct technique to get behind the ball and make a solid connection. His batting is not heavy on the eyes and he plays some pleasing strokes.

Very good prospect who is a joy to have in the squad. I hope he gets proper grooming encouragement and chance to become a rock solid reliable batsman.

he is good prospect but atm he has though competition from the likes of YK,Misbah and Umar Akmal.

Personally i would like to see him as a replacement for YK in coming years.

But for the WC11 he should be battling with :umerakmal for the playing XI.

He relies a lot in the leg side, he needs to work on playing on the offside more,plus in Test cricket i think he finds it difficult to rotate the strike, even though he does it with ease in LOI

he is good but to say he is the best pakistani batsman is stretching it a bit too far ... that wud b umar akmal in limited overs cricket and younis khan in test matches, asad needs to work on his off side play he plants his foot across and plays across his front pad most of the time and due to this also gets in a tangle while hooking , having said that he has a lot of potencial and can b a very good bat for us , shud stay away frm t20 for his own good

he will be replaced by Umar Akmal in Tests sooner rather than later.

So far he is ok, not more than ok and not less than ok...
But he is only 25 so he has time to learn.
I hope he become a good batsman.

much better than akmal jnr as he has the temprament to succeed and shows a knack for building innings and playing to his strengths..reminds me of a young miandad with some of his strokeplay..will become a great batsman if he gets a long enough run..just needs to hit a maiden ton and he'll be off and rolling!!

At the moment Umar Akmal is definetely a better batsman thn him in all formats of the game.

How is Umar Akma better than him in all formats? Just because he can play a few big shots, you all get so excited. If you've watched Test Cricket then you'l know that Asad is much better than him in Tests although we're yet to see him face swing bowling.

much better than akmal jnr as he has the temprament to succeed and shows a knack for building innings and playing to his strengths..reminds me of a young miandad with some of his strokeplay..will become a great batsman if he gets a long enough run..just needs to hit a maiden ton and he'll be off and rolling!!

Great temparement, hard worker, I agree.
But better than Jn, no way...
"Junior is a mix of Miandad and Sachin Tendulkar" Ausie Commentators.

To be honest, yes hes had a very good start to his career and looks promising, but I see him being found out very soon unless he improves drastically.

All teams will just ball 2 feet outside off to this kid and he will get completely tied up

He needs to develop his off side play and he needs to do it fast before teams world wide watch him bat

How is Umar Akma better than him in all formats? Just because he can play a few big shots, you all get so excited. If you've watched Test Cricket then you'l know that Asad is much better than him in Tests although we're yet to see him face swing bowling.

Ok lets not start a debate between Asad and Umar Akmal, lets congratulat Asad for a good start in his Tes career and hope he improves.

To be honest, yes hes had a very good start to his career and looks promising, but I see him being found out very soon unless he improves drastically.

All teams will just ball 2 feet outside off to this kid and he will get completely tied up

He needs to develop his off side play and he needs to do it fast before teams world wide watch him bat

100% agree. This is aso my concern with him.

Great temparement, hard worker, I agree.
But better than Jn, no way...
"Junior is a mix of Miandad and Sachin Tendulkar" Ausie Commentators.

jnr has no brain and until he fixes that area will always be behind shafiq..technique wise yes jnr is better but technique is overated in my book..shafiq looks a test player and will be consistent..jnr will always be prone to brain farts!!

He is of to a wonderful start to his test career but i am not surprised that most ppers are not impressed by him , They probably would have been more impressed by him had he hit a classy cover drive on his first ball and than got out on the next one because those are the best batsman we prefer . We rather have a classy batsman who has a mental toughness of a snail in our team rather than a hard working batsman who plays according to the situation.

Last edited:
he is good but to say he is the best pakistani batsman is stretching it a bit too far ...

I didn't say The Best Pak batsman as a whole or the best batsman Pak has ever produced, No!
I said the best pak batsman (from the current lot) who plays with confidence (confidently hits strokes over the bowlers head, and plays hook and pull shots in a TEST match) and has the correct batting tech ( good foot work, gets behind the ball, keeps his head down and plays with a straight bat and has a good hand eye coordination to make a timely and solid connection). In the last innings I hardly saw any miscued hits, flying edges (both in and out side the bat), poor connection, half hearted polks at the front foot, poorly chasing out side off stump deliveries which was, frankly speaking, common in all other pak batsmen including Misbah and YK.

I think he should easily surpass Umar Akmal who is Just not serious about his cricket to solidify his game and become a concrete reliable batsman.

Definitely a longterm prospect. He ably supported Misbah for almost 2 hours before being undone by another one of Harper's dreadful decisions. Shows a lot about his character and temperament. Technical issues can be fixed with proper coaching and experience. He'll never become another Anwar or Inzi - that kind of talent can't be taught you are either born with it or not - but he can become another Younis with a lot of hard work and dedication. I would like to see Azhar and Asad given a long run in the Test team.

Last edited:
No where near Umer akmal but he should be given more chances but I gotta say Umer akmal would have done better on this track for sure.But I am sure he has gained much needed experience from this series ,which will help him in the future.

Last edited:
The only batsman in the current lot who looks to play with proper technique and confidently hits the ball. I wish him an extremely bright future.

Asad Shafiq's batting position

In 11 ODIs he's been sent it as high as number 1 to as low as number 7: He debuted at number 4, then came in at 7 in the next game, back at 4 again, number 3 in the next 3 games, opened for couple ODIs next and came in at number 5 as well.

Thats 5 positions in 11 ODIs.

This inconsistency can mess up a career really fast, imo.

Soon people could be calling for his head if this continues and he fails to realize his job in the team.

good point!!

he should be given one postion! even today he was playing good!! just got himself out!

Asad Shafiq-making of a Legend

"I think Asad Shafiq bats like Javed Miandad and looks impressive even though he hasn't really scored that many runs there is something special about him".:shafiq

I don't think Asad going up and down the order is a suprise, afterall him and the likes of Shehzad & Umar Akmal are under the management of the PCB who are clueless when it comes to developing youngsters and getting the best out of them.

I wasn't expecting anything big from Asad today considering he played his first ODI in a long time and was always going to be tough to expect something big after playing in a different format for a long time (since the SA series, I believe).

However he did look good out there, played a similiar type of role which Moyo and Misbah tend to do and did look promising until the run out, it was a shame considering he was looking in good touch but that's cricket.

I guess we may not see him feature in the World cup unless we are qualified early in the World cup but should be seeing him feature in test series v West Indies, after the World cup.

Another player with great potential and talent but can only be shown fully on the pitch if he is treated/developed well by the PCB management.

Asad Shafiq a bright star

Batting style like the great Javed Miandad his bat is straight like Javed Miandad and he looks something special

Comparing with greats so early in career only puts a lot of pressure over the youngsters.

Back