The Ashes | 5th Test | Sydney | Day 1 | 3/1/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

OZGOD

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
I will miss the first couple of days of this Test due to being in transit back to the US after my holiday in SE Asia. Hopefully we extend the Test to the third day otherwise I will have wasted my Willow subscription! :D

On a more serious note, it's a new OZ side (sort of), with a new captain (sort of) and a new spinner (the latest sacrificial lamb) - will it be a new result?

Unfortunately (for OZ) I don't think it will be. One new batsman and one new captain does not a new team make. Even before this series started I had targetted the Sydney Test as the one the Poms were most likely to win, because of Swann. On the evidence of the series since, it's clear they have a stable, solid top order with players in form and a varied attack, and they will have massive confidence from the slaughter at the MCG.

I have not been shy about voicing my reservations about Michael Clarke, and I definitely think I have a good case, but just as a note those reservations aren't about his so-called flashy lifestyle and his model girlfriends and Aston Martins - they're about his batting form and ability to motivate the team. He's been batting like a girls' blouse who doesn't know what his role in the team is, whether to be a sheet anchor or an Afridiesque cowlasher. As a result he looks like he's fallen between the cracks. That said, he's now the cappo, and so I will support him and cheer him on. Maybe the additional responsibility will galvanise him.

Much bigger problem is in the pace attack. There's a sameness to the pace attack with the exception of MJ who can be a hero or a zero, sometimes both in the same day. Hilf and Siddle are faithful pluggers but they're not really going to scare anyone, especially in batting friendly conditions. Michael Beer (I will think of a suitable nickname for him depending on how he goes this match - if he fails, well maybe we can call him Michael Horse P!ss) is a lottery - who knows how he will go.

I had a look at the bloke's photo and I realised why Warney suggested he be brought into the side - it's because he LOOKS LIKE WARNEY.

Michael_Beer1-420x0.jpg

As for Uzzy, I have a feeling the boffins in charge will make him bat first drop in his first Test, because they will be too scared to move Clarke and Hussey up. What they should really do is move Hussey to No.3 since he does know how to take the shine off the new ball and since he will likely be batting in the 4th over anyway, keep Pup at No.4 and have Uzzy at No.5. Clearly Smith is a T20 cowlasher and cannot bat higher than No.8 which is why batting at No.6 is clearly 3 places to high for him, but whatever.

Nothing to say about England really, other than I'm sure it will be more of the same - solid batting, incisive bowling.

If we get sent in to bat I reckon 250-300 will be a good score for us. If we have to bowl and it's not overcast England will be looking to post a 500+ score.

Not being pessimistic, just being realistic!

May the best team (on the day anyway) win. Though to be truthful I would not be unhappy with another flogging (sentiments Whips expressed about England before this very Test in 2006):

Whippy said:

I hope we get mullered at the SCG and lose 5-0. I genuinely feel it would be better in the long term if we lost badly. That way, there can be no 'if we'd played like this in a few more matches we would have retained the Ashes' from any journos, players or Fletchers. There will also be no positives to take out of the series, that would otherwise give a chance for the woeful management and captain to paper over the cracks. England have to realise that they are not good enough to be a challenger for the no.1 spot, and a major change is needed to recover from this atrocious series.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=33079

I don't want there to be anywhere for OZ management, coaching, etc to hide after this. None of this "we just had a couple of bad days at the office". I just KNOW Hilditch and Nielsen and their gang of boofheads are hoping for any kind of straw to cling to with the inquiry that is surely coming. NO EXCUSES!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aussies still have a chance to level the series, i think they will battle hard because they have already failed to retain ashes, they dont want a home series loss to go with it as well.

Haha, loving the 4 year-old post. I posted a lot of rubbish in them days - some would say I still do - but that is one of my better and more accurate contributions from 'the teenage years', amongst those that I can remember. There was an inquiry after the 5-0 loss that I predicted and craved, and it's been a steady but successful re-building job ever since, culminating in home and away Ashes successes :)

I have a feeling that the Aussies will want this one slightly more - however, even then their new-look team might not be good enough to beat England on a dry turner. I can see this wicket being like the naughty little spitting devil that the Oval groundsman rolled out last year when England needed to win, and I guess that makes England favourites again here.

Best plan here is to score big in your first innings, preferably batting first, so your spinner can turn his arm over in the 4th innings.

Unbelievably excited once again, should be a goodie.

Last edited:
I am just as Excited as you bro and hopefully I'll be able to stay awake and watch the action in HD. I think England should rest rest collingwood and play Morgan or Hildreth surely these 2 can perform better then collingwood.

9.45am Australia's team manager Steve Bernard reports that Shane Warne is presenting Michael Beer with his baggy green, while Usman Khawaja receives his from Mark Taylor.

Michael Beer will disappoint

Usman Khawaja will have a great debut, and Australia will draw the Ashes

I predicted england would win series 2-1. So a draw in sydney would be good. Aussies batting is weaker without Punter and i think for that reason england should fancy their chances to maybe win the series 3-1 which would have never been imagined when they 1st arrived here in november.

"I'm not overly disappointed at all," says Andrew Strauss, noting the overcast conditions and a tinge of green on the SCG pitch.

Khawaja To Bat no.3 on a Overcast conditions and Green Pitch.. Justice not done with khawaja.

Khawaja To Bat no.3 on a Overcast conditions and Green Pitch.. Justice not done with khawaja.

Its a racist plan to make sure all of Australia (and Khawaja) fail so this will be his only test. :ahmed

I'm only here to see Khawaja bat. Hurry and get out Hughes!

I remember Asif tearing through Aussies at sydney last year such a shame we fked up the run chase :(

Prediction day 1 - Aussies 198 All out England 100/3 at Close.

Uzzie Uzzie Uzzie! Oi Oi Oi!

Uzzie Uzzie Uzzie! Oi Oi Oi!

absoltely can't wait! nervous as hell!

Anderson should cause problems if it's a green top. What did Strauss say he would have done? Or didn't he?

Weakest Looking Aussies top 7 ive seen in last 20 years of cricket! Can see Swanny having a field day here.

lol, they're playing that ridiculous 'De Ghuma Ke' WC song on Star Cricket!

what rubbish!

Good luck Usman.

England may be happy with the little urn but if Aus can level the series it;s a decent result for them.

^ No point returning now.

He said he'd try to be fit.

surprised Aus elected to bat under overcast conditions. Is the pitch batsman friendly?

I will be dissapointed if England don't play 100% for the win. A drawn series wouldn't give a good indication of the difference between the sides, 3-1 is about right imo. It would probably also be better for Australia in the longrun.

overthrows and Aussies are off the mark!

im a noob when it comes to the Ashes. Can anyone explain to me the difference b/w "retaining" the Ashes vs winning the series?

good start from Jimmy, Aus 1 for 0 after the first over of the 5th Test.

im a noob when it comes to the Ashes. Can anyone explain to me the difference b/w "retaining" the Ashes vs winning the series?

England are the holders so only needed to draw series to retain them. As they are 2-1 up with 1 to play they cant lose their title.

Holders keep title if series is drawn.

The truth is neutrals don't give too hoots about who has the 'Ashes' or who has the Border Gavasker tropy etc. It's all about who wins the series and If England fail here they will still be considered as weak abroad and rightly so.

Trem gets some prodigious movement off the seam first up!

compltely mistimed off drive from Watto, ends up in the hands of short leg.

next one's better, thru the covers, picks up 2.

Tremlett will terrorise the Indian bats next summer.

Hughes looking dodgy again.

Hughes round the corner, gets off the mark.

England are the holders so only needed to draw series to retain them. As they are 2-1 up with 1 to play they cant lose their title.

Holders keep title if series is drawn.

The truth is neutrals don't give too hoots about who has the 'Ashes' or who has the Border Gavasker tropy etc. It's all about who wins the series and If England fail here they will still be considered as weak abroad and rightly so.

right on. Although (IMO) even with a draw England would still be stronger of the two teams.

Watson really should've done better in this series.

355 runs and no 100.

Hes just been a bit unlucky. How i wished he had gotten that 100 when he was out on 95

when was the last time Oz played a Test without Ponting?

:four

half-volley and smacked thru mid-on, Hughes.

jaffa from Trem, Hughes beaten all ends up.

Wicket has a tinge of green but there are also bits coming off it already!

ohhhh, looked close, no appeal from the bowler.

excellent over from Tremlett.

England looking to just bowl a leg-stick line to Hughes here. giving him no space to hit ball here.

Huge appeal from Anderson, Bowden says no!

ah inside edge, great call.

LBW appeal, Watson getting well forward and inside edge.

Another one this time sliding down leg me thinks.

and another one, going down leg.

next ball, Watto beaten!

Good over from Anderson. Bowling in good areas here.

there he is! the Khawaja! looks pretty calm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back