The Babar Azam versus Virat Kohli comparison

I said Babar is better than root in ODIs.

Kohli, tell me how many world cups he's won when you count the 10 memerable knocks he s played to win it.

Ill be waiting :bobs

We are not comparing Kohli with Viv or Ponting on this thread to give his WC title winning performances. We are comparing him with a guy who couldn't even take his team to the semi final on two attempts.

So back to my original question. Babar's top ten ODI knocks in his career so far?

Younis Khan is better in asain conditions 100%

That's because Younis Khan mostly played on wickets where 650 was the normal first innings score and daddy hundreds were the norm even in the 4th innings.

Kohli would have comfortably averaged 75+ in Asia had he played on those roads. Peak kohli of 2013-19 with his insane fitness would have shattered all types of records on those types of wickets.

Its just so funny.

A peak Babar Azam is struggling to match the swansong of Kohli.

The World Cup was a glaring example of the difference in class between two batsmen.

Babar should be matching prime Kohli of 2013 to 2019 during his peak but he cant because of the class difference.

Yet people want to believe Babar is the real deal and Kohli is choker.

We are not comparing Kohli with Viv or Ponting on this thread to give his WC title winning performances. We are comparing him with a guy who couldn't even take his team to the semi final on two attempts.

So back to my original question. Babar's top ten ODI knocks in his career so far?
Babar took his team to a T20 WC final but that
That's because Younis Khan mostly played on wickets where 650 was the normal first innings score and daddy hundreds were the norm even in the 4th innings.

Kohli would have comfortably averaged 75+ in Asia had he played on those roads. Peak kohli of 2013-19 with his insane fitness would have shattered all types of records on those types of wickets.
All of this would of, could of, should of is irelevent. Your assumptions mean nothing and have zero substance. its made up.

The same kohli went 3 years without a test ton. yet you would say that would never happen had it been a hypothetical.

but it reality it did.

YK is an all time G of playing spin bowling doing it away from home on big turners and miles ahead of kohli when it comes to playing spin bowling.

Fact.:yk

The point is only you and other kohli fan boys want to harp on a about his knocks and say he s the best thing since slice bread but at the end of the day real supporters not fanboys remember team achievements not individual ones unless it brought about trophies, tournaments and series wins etc.

Babar has played 52 tests kohli Has played 113 tests
117 ODIs 292 ODIs
109 T20s 117 T20s

Let me get this straight you want to do a like for like with 2 players and different ages and stages of their careers and compare every little detail whilst both are still playing and then turn around and say one is better than the other.

This delusion of he should of taken his team to the semi final because that s your criteria is foolish.

Who are you to set a benchmark.

As ive said on many occasions for most PK supporters its about winning trophies, tournaments and series not individual performances of players.

The key word is TEAM not individual. cricket is a team sport it takes a team effort to get to quarters, semi s, finals.

Check your post I responded to , you started with Australia is the benchmark , I just threw that line back at you.
Australia is the benchmark for all teams to aspire to is the one I think your refering to.

which is true.

I haven t got time to check it at the moment if you could copy and repost it i will look into it.

So first it was "how many he has won" and now it has changed to "how many he has won all by himself"

You sure you want me to answer this argument and not going to switch your tune again?
No it was always that individual achievements don t supersede the team. That was the point.

harbhajan singh rates younis very highly and puts him in the top 5 batters faced.would have still averaged 50+ in this area.Kohli averages less than 30 against Bangladesh.

Its just so funny.

A peak Babar Azam is struggling to match the swansong of Kohli.

The World Cup was a glaring example of the difference in class between two batsmen.

Babar should be matching prime Kohli of 2013 to 2019 during his peak but he cant because of the class difference.

Yet people want to believe Babar is the real deal and Kohli is choker.
Kohli is clearly ahead of Babar no question about it only two batters who are on par or better than kohli are miadad and younis

Kohli is clearly ahead of Babar no question about it only two batters who are on par or better than kohli are miadad and younis

Younis could probably edge it in Tests but if you look at the overall 3 formats Kohli is too far ahead and leaves Younis in dust.

Babar took his team to a T20 WC final but that

Oh dear God the desperation!

We are talking about ODIs aren't we? And even we consider your point, Babar averaged 17 with a SR of 93 in that T20 world cup. Lol at "took his team to a final" with those tail-enderesque stats..

All of this would of, could of, should of is irelevent. Your assumptions mean nothing and have zero substance. its made up.

The same kohli went 3 years without a test ton. yet you would say that would never happen had it been a hypothetical.

but it reality it did.

YK is an all time G of playing spin bowling doing it away from home on big turners and miles ahead of kohli when it comes to playing spin bowling.

Fact.:yk

So much incoherent word jumble. It's not "could have would have" , it's a verifiable fact lol. Wickets in the subcontinent were at their flattest during the 2000s and Younis khan feasted on those with impunity. As an avid non-casual fan on a high quality discussion forum, one should possess the ability to grasp such nuances instead of clinging onto "stats" without providing any solid arguments. Sehwag has better stats in the subcontinent than Kohli and Pujara , you're gonna tell me he is better than them? Tch tch!! Jog on...

The point is only you and other kohli fan boys want to harp on a about his knocks and say he s the best thing since slice bread but at the end of the day real supporters not fanboys remember team achievements not individual ones unless it brought about trophies, tournaments and series wins etc.

Babar has played 52 tests kohli Has played 113 tests
117 ODIs 292 ODIs
109 T20s 117 T20s

Let me get this straight you want to do a like for like with 2 players and different ages and stages of their careers and compare every little detail whilst both are still playing and then turn around and say one is better than the other.

This delusion of he should of taken his team to the semi final because that s your criteria is foolish.

Who are you to set a benchmark.

As ive said on many occasions for most PK supporters its about winning trophies, tournaments and series not individual performances of players.

The key word is TEAM not individual. cricket is a team sport it takes a team effort to get to quarters, semi s, finals.

You seem lost, Jumping from one tangent to another..take a deep breath and countdown to 10 lol. It's fine...it's hard to accept harsh realities. No matter how much word jumble you wanna play, bottom line is this -

Babar Azam is already 30 (officially) and is nowhere close to matching Kohli in any format of the game. Looking at his form trajectory, he's most likely going to retire as a poor man's Hashim Amla with very good numbers but hardly half a dozen memorable knocks in his whole career. He has one or maybe two high quality knocks in his strongest format (ODIs) and has as many Test hundreds outside the subcontinent as Yashaswi Jaiswal who started playing 6 months ago. And he's barely above average in T20is with close to zero power hitting ability even after being set.

There's a reason why you're not choosing to list out Babar's top knocks and running away from my question. I'm sorry for being this harsh but writing's on the wall, honey. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
harbhajan singh rates younis very highly and puts him in the top 5 batters faced.would have still averaged 50+ in this area.Kohli averages less than 30 against Bangladesh.

Ofcourse he rates him lol. YK smashed him enough for a lifetime on those mid 2000s roads where even Irfan pathan used to look like Mathew Hayden.

And no .. Kohli actually averages 50+ against Bangladesh. Don't know where you pulled that stat out from...

I think Kohli is ahead of many atm. His recent form my have put doubts in people's minds but he is definitely an ATG. Especially in ODIs. When it comes to tests, then younis edges him out somewhere. Babar is not a comparison for Kohli ATM, he still has a lot to prove.

You seem lost, Jumping from one tangent to another..take a deep breath and countdown to 10 lol. It's fine...it's hard to accept harsh realities. No matter how much word jumble you wanna play, bottom line is this -

Babar Azam is already 30 (officially) and is nowhere close to matching Kohli in any format of the game. Looking at his form trajectory, he's most likely going to retire as a poor man's Hashim Amla with very good numbers but hardly half a dozen memorable knocks in his whole career. He has one or maybe two high quality knocks in his strongest format (ODIs) and has as many Test hundreds outside the subcontinent as Yashaswi Jaiswal who started playing 6 months ago. And he's barely above average in T20is with close to zero power hitting ability even after being set.

There's a reason why you're not choosing to list out Babar's top knocks and running away from my question. I'm sorry for being this harsh but writing's on the wall, honey. :)

If you asked me about 10 knocks of any player I couldnt tell you because its not important to me.

If you were genuine you know that there is no level playing field in cricket. The indian monopoly to take every advantage possible is in full swing.

Pakistan have played a team total of 102 test matches since 2011 to 2024 missing a decade of home test matches.

India would have played a whopping 132 test matches starting from 2011 till the end of this current test series verus England.

Since kohli started playing in 2011 he has played 113 test matches alone.

more than the entire pakistan team combined.

perspective is important.

Pakistan since Babar s debut in 2015 has played Aus a total of 13 times.

2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024.

inida since kohli s debut in 2011 have played Aus a whopping total of 29 times.

2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023

perspective is important.

You may think you can predict XYZ but the reality is you cant.

Sit down count to 10 and wait till both players are retired. Its not healthy to be so obsessed with someone.

Kohli and the indian side face the Aus bowlers on a frequent basis at international level as well as franchise giving them a huge advantage.

Everything is not so black and white when you add context is it.

Oh dear God the desperation!

We are talking about ODIs aren't we? And even we consider your point, Babar averaged 17 with a SR of 93 in that T20 world cup. Lol at "took his team to a final" with those tail-enderesque stats..

So much incoherent word jumble. It's not "could have would have" , it's a verifiable fact lol. Wickets in the subcontinent were at their flattest during the 2000s and Younis khan feasted on those with impunity. As an avid non-casual fan on a high quality discussion forum, one should possess the ability to grasp such nuances instead of clinging onto "stats" without providing any solid arguments. Sehwag has better stats in the subcontinent than Kohli and Pujara , you're gonna tell me he is better than them? Tch tch!! Jog on...
Its a fact that kohli would of have scored XYZ at that time or your assumption?.

Its a fact that there are big bats, small boundaries and batting friendly wickets in kohli s time all around the globe
2 new balls etc.

or are you going to tell me he s breaking records on green tops for the past 13 years.

Dont get it twisted by confusing yourself with me.

You are definitely no connoisseur of the game . Far from it

Go back to kissing kohli s backside.

Then how come Waqar and Shoaib are rated so high despite never actually winning a World Cup?
What did I say. Individual performances dont supersede the team.

They both admit they should of won a world cup but your obsessed with kohli as the best thing since slice bread that you cant look past his individual performances.

As ive mentioned previously on others posts that you cant judge 2 players untill retirement its logical.

people are obsessed with comparing when there isnt a level playing field in cricket.

There is a monopoly system where money dictates and favours which is never healthy.

I have posted a stats breakdown on another post where since kohli s debut in 2011 he s played more tests individually than Pakistan did in that same period as a team and a whole era of players missed out on a decade of home tests.

Example

india played Australia with frequency a total of 29 times since kohli s debut

compared with 13 times for Pakistan against the same opposition since Babar s debut.

context and pespective is important.

The difference between me and you is the harsh reality is that you idolise kohli and know his ins and outs more than his honey wife probably.

where as I just watch sports on an entertainment level.

If you asked me about 10 knocks of any player I couldnt tell you because its not important to me.

If you were genuine you know that there is no level playing field in cricket. The indian monopoly to take every advantage possible is in full swing.

There we go !!

So you have no idea what Babar's best knocks are but here you are arguing yourselves to tears on why he is comparable or better than Kohli quoting the records he "shattered".

Its a fact that kohli would of have scored XYZ at that time or your assumption?.

Its a fact that there are big bats, small boundaries and batting friendly wickets in kohli s time all around the globe
2 new balls etc

or are you going to tell me he s breaking records on green tops for the past 13 years.

Dont get it twisted by confusing yourself with me.

You are definitely no connoisseur of the game . Far from it

Go back to kissing kohli s backside.

The comparison with YK is regarding tests. When did Tests start having two new balls? And it's factually and statistically proven that Test wickets around the world have become far more bowler friendly in the mid to later 2010s.

Let us compare them at the end of their careers just because we've overrated him to be a superior batter to Kohli but now reality is laughing at our faces with Babar ending up on the trajectory of a rich man's Manish Pandey and we have nothing to retort with.. "

Babar was inferior to all of Rohit, Kohli, Iyer and KL at the World Cup.

Maybe on par with Gill at best.

There is no comparison between peak Babar and peak Kohli.

The comparison with YK is regarding tests. When did Tests start having two new balls? And it's factually and statistically proven that Test wickets around the world have become far more bowler friendly in the mid to later 2010s.
I was mentioning the generalisation of cricket.

You also have to take in account that batters techniques are nt as good and previous years and teams are looking to score at 4 an over which will give more chances to the bowlers.

The previous era were more about attrition and wearing down the bowlers and then scoring.

There is a combination of factors. Stats don t tell the full story.

A quick stat for you in Tests:

21st June 2000 - 28th June 2011

500 Tests played , Runs/Wickets average 34.62

29th July 2011 onwards:

503 Tests played , Runs/Wickets average 31.89

As you can see not to dissimilar after all.

Hard to argue with those numbers.

Babar needs to make more impactful runs though. Kohli is Kohli because of the way he ruthlessly takes away games. Babar needs to do that more.
That s what people always said about tendulkar he was a all about individual scores and stats not impactful.

B C Lara was always above him.

6 out of Lara's 34 hundreds came in winning causes. His 400 was selfishness at it's peak
Lara was a killer at the crease that bowlers were afraid off. Thats the impact he made

Lara s 400 was towards the end of his career when he regained the record from Hayden.

once Ambrose and walsh retired the windies were done.

Bring up the stats.

Nobody feared tendulkar and he bottled it many times on big occasions getting out cheaply.

I did not factor in captaincy because if I do that, the chances of Babar surpassing Kohli’s legacy will drop from 1% to 0%.

Kohli has not won a trophy as captain in LOIs, but he is the most successful Asian Test captain of all time with 36 wins in counting.

His team spent more time at the top of the Test rankings than any Asian team in in history and his team spent more time at the top of the rankings than any team in the 2010-2020 decade. Babar will never come close to those achievements as captain.

As far as legacy as individual player is concerned, even if Kohli retires today, he will be remembered for generations because he is easily one of the greatest in history and also one of the iconic superstars the game has ever seen.

He has defined an era and the 2010s will always be remembered as the Kohli era. No batsman has dominated all three formats the way he has.

He has also completely redefined the art of chasing in white ball cricket.

So yes, it is impossible for almost every young batsman out there to surpass his legacy including for Babar who only has 1 Test hundred outside Asia by the age of 26.

Babar at best can hope to be a poor man’s Kohli, but for that to happen, he will first need to help Pakistan chase down 300+ totals which he has not been able to do even once.

Kohli will retire with the most ODI hundreds in history, probably the second most runs in international cricket after Tendulkar, 35+ Test hundreds, most Test hundreds outside Asia by an Asian, most Test hundreds in Australia by an Asian, most ODI hundreds while chasing, most runs and hundreds in international cricket as captain. Moreover, he will probably end up with 90+ international hundreds overall.

So yes, Babar simply has no chance of surpassing his legacy. He is clearly inferior in so many ways.

He doesn’t have Kohli’s ability, mentality, aura, crease presence, personality etc. which have all combined to help Kohli become the giant that he is today.

Kohli has the same characteristics that Cristiano Ronaldo, Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan etc. have/had in their respective fields. He is a true icon and the face of modern cricket.

His greatness cannot be captured in mere numbers. There was something about peak Kohli that no one else had. He was by far the most prized wicket in the world for a long time and he still is, in spite of not reaching his own standards in the last 2 years.

Nevertheless, Babar doesn’t have to get anywhere near Kohli to have a glittering career. You can be nothing like Kohli and still end up as a great player, because there are great players and then there greats among the greats, and Kohli belongs in the latter.

Babar can perhaps end up as the best Pakistani batsman ever, and the best Pakistani batsman ever, whoever he is today - Miandad or Inzamam or Younis - is nowhere near Kohli.
Are you serious.

comparing a global icon like Muhammad Ali who transcended way beyond sport to humanitarian, political, religious boundaries etc and known the globe over even amongst non boxing fans with kohli.

Lara was a killer at the crease that bowlers were afraid off. Thats the impact he made

Lara s 400 was towards the end of his career when he regained the record from Hayden.

once Ambrose and walsh retired the windies were done.

Bring up the stats.

Nobody feared tendulkar and he bottled it many times on big occasions getting out cheaply.
This is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard. Sachin was one of the most feared batter in the 90's. He took on the bowlers in the first 15 overs irrespective of their reputation which in turn made his lose his wicket early on many occasions. Every team knew that once they took Sachin's wicket they have won the game and it is also ignorant of you to say he bottled it. Sachin failed in the two WC finals but again he performed brilliantly in the knockout games and he was brilliant overall in WCs. Lara's claim to fame is his one knock of 153* at home against Australia. If you see his overall record, WI hardly won anything during his tenure.

In India's win in ODI's Sachin averaged 56 at a SR of 90 and scored 33 of his 49 hundreds. Lara averaged higher at 61 but his SR was 86 in ODIs in wins. In Tests Sachin averaged 61.9 in wins and scored 20 hundreds. Lara averaged 61.02 and scored 8 hundreds.

Sachin on an average scored at a higher pace than Lara during the 90's and took more risks against the best in the world during that time which cost him his wicket many times as he was the only one who could score at a high SR in the Indian team.

In the 90's Sachin struck at 86 at an average of 43 while Lara averaged 42 at a SR of 79. Only Gilly and Jayasuriya struck at a higher SR than Sachin from batters who atleast scored 2300 runs during that decade. So not sure how Lara was most feared. Not sure about other teams but I never feared Lara when he played against India as he had a mediocre record against against us overall. He averaged 34 in Tests and 32 in ODIs at a SR of 74. He obviously was very successful against Pakistan which is the reason for Pakistan fans rating very high. His overall ODI average of 40 at SR of 79 was good but wasn't anything spectacular. Was great for his time in the 90's but again was par for that era. Sachin's SR though was great for that era.

This is the most ignorant statement I have ever heard. Sachin was one of the most feared batter in the 90's. He took on the bowlers in the first 15 overs irrespective of their reputation which in turn made his lose his wicket early on many occasions. Every team knew that once they took Sachin's wicket they have won the game and it is also ignorant of you to say he bottled it. Sachin failed in the two WC finals but again he performed brilliantly in the knockout games and he was brilliant overall in WCs. Lara's claim to fame is his one knock of 153* at home against Australia. If you see his overall record, WI hardly won anything during his tenure.

In India's win in ODI's Sachin averaged 56 at a SR of 90 and scored 33 of his 49 hundreds. Lara averaged higher at 61 but his SR was 86 in ODIs in wins. In Tests Sachin averaged 61.9 in wins and scored 20 hundreds. Lara averaged 61.02 and scored 8 hundreds.

Sachin on an average scored at a higher pace than Lara during the 90's and took more risks against the best in the world during that time which cost him his wicket many times as he was the only one who could score at a high SR in the Indian team.

In the 90's Sachin struck at 86 at an average of 43 while Lara averaged 42 at a SR of 79. Only Gilly and Jayasuriya struck at a higher SR than Sachin from batters who atleast scored 2300 runs during that decade. So not sure how Lara was most feared. Not sure about other teams but I never feared Lara when he played against India as he had a mediocre record against against us overall. He averaged 34 in Tests and 32 in ODIs at a SR of 74. He obviously was very successful against Pakistan which is the reason for Pakistan fans rating very high. His overall ODI average of 40 at SR of 79 was good but wasn't anything spectacular. Was great for his time in the 90's but again was par for that era. Sachin's SR though was great for that era.
You're arguing with someone who refuses to acknowledge that Babar isn't worth the dust of Kohli's shoes.

To start with if you read the post correctly you would know that I was mentioning tests so read carefully before waffling garbage.

The English and the Aussies felt the brunt of his force in all formats.

Lara batted the majority of his career as a middle order bat so strike rate is irrelevent. Different roles.

I agree with you that other teams knew they relied on ten and if he got out they india would collapse.

Ten averaged 36.92 against Pakistan in Pakistan in 13 ODIs and averaged 35 overall against South Africa it doesnt I dont think he wasnt a good player your argument is foolish.

The problem is indian fans want their players to be praised and called the best and if they are not they cry and throw their toys out the pram.

I personally liked Lara and his style of batting more.

I rate Viv as the best batter to play the game.

Most 50+ Scores in T20 Cricket.

Chris Gayle - 455 innings
David Warner - 370 innings
Virat Kohli - 361 innings
Babar Azam - 280 innings

Babar played least number of matches but still amongst the top 4.

lFatXbK.jpeg

Babar cannot chase a 300+ total to save his life (he even failed to get his team over the line vs Zimbabwe) and yet our fans have the audacity to compare him to Kohli.

This last 2 years nonsense means nothing. Stop disrespecting a legend just because he hasn’t been at his best over the last 2 years.

He still has plenty left in the tank and even if he retires today, Babar will never be able to surpass him.

And those who do bhangra over comparing Babar and Kohli at 26, Kohli was already a GOAT chaser when he was 26.

Babar clearly does not have that match-winning ability that Kohli does or had at 26.

He is an Amla type ODI player. Kohli is in a different league altogether.
@topspin what a beautiful post

I feel sorry for @Mobashir @heddie19

Even the new Mamoon (like Gandalf the white Mamoon) will still torment these two posters

What I respect about these two is the fact that at least they haven't flip flopped whereas Mamoon has gone from defending Imad and turning on Babar and his fans to doing the complete contrary without any rational behind it.

After going through a bad patch in last 2 years, Babar is still leading the chart. AMazing.

What I respect about these two is the fact that at least they haven't flip flopped whereas Mamoon has gone from defending Imad and turning on Babar and his fans to doing the complete contrary without any rational behind it.
We should make a thread called " Sincere pakistani fans should boycott the inclusion of Babar and Rizwan: #Sequel to Mamoon's thread"

After going through a bad patch in last 2 years, Babar is still leading the chart. AMazing.
When he went through bad patch?.He scored 151 against nepal and was not able to score anything against good teams for another 4 months.He statpadded successfully against nz in t20s immediately after horrible aus tour.

When he went through bad patch?.He scored 151 against nepal and was not able to score anything against good teams for another 4 months.He statpadded successfully against nz in t20s immediately after horrible aus tour.
Do you want him to fail like the other 10 guys in the team are failing? Or do you want him to score runs against any opposition against whom other batters have not been able to statpad?

Do you want him to fail like the other 10 guys in the team are failing? Or do you want him to score runs against any opposition against whom other batters have not been able to statpad?
I want him to score impactful runs against all the best opponents like pak greats and not to statpad

I want him to score impactful runs against all the best opponents like pak greats and not to statpad
You still have not answered my question TBH. Fail like other 10 guys in the team or score runs (you may call it statpad).

You still have not answered my question TBH. Fail like other 10 guys in the team or score runs (you may call it statpad).
I will like to see the context .is he scoring when all other 10 guys failed against nepal or say aus?.I will take a loss against nepal and will prefer him to score a legendary century against aus on bouncy pitches.am happy with the same result even for jaiswal/any ind talented batsmen.

Virat Kohli's 100 of 67 balls is now slower than Babar Azam's slowest T20 century ever who did it in 62 balls.

Virat Kohli's 100 of 67 balls is now slower than Babar Azam's slowest T20 century ever who did it in 62 balls.
Typical Pakistani fans .What was Virat strike rate against Pakistan in last T20 match they played .
Ok see below image. How many matches winning innings babar played against India?
20240407_002530.jpg

Typical Pakistani fans .What was Virat strike rate against Pakistan in last T20 match they played .
Ok see below image. How many matches winning innings babar played against India?
View attachment 143081

I'm no fan of Babar but I don't get why you're being so hostile about this, that too towards a good mod. All he did was post a stat/record that's now held by the Indian great. He wasn't belittling Kohli.

Virat Kohli at the back end of his career becoming a useless T20 opener like Babar Azam

Why is CT 2017 there?
I didn’t understand the graphic either. I don’t think it’s the games India won, it’s literally just all the games Kohli played against Pakistan in tournaments I guess?

Pakistan beat India in the 2021 T20 WC and in the Super 4’s in Asia Cup 2022.

Kohli is clearly better and has had the better career. The best time to argue that Babar had a chance to have similar accomplishments was immediately post 2021 T20 WC win against India since he was also coming off some good Test performances and also the 2019 WC where he had the most runs ever by a Pakistan batsmen in a WC.

If we had continued improving after that, maybe there’d be a discussion. But, instead Babar’s 2023 WC was much worse than his 2019 and his recent tournament performances have been worse than his previous ones. It would be very difficult for him to catch up to Kohli now, he would have to have a massively improved run for the next 5 years.

Both Babar and Virat have been top players for their franchise teams in PSL and IPL but they never made it possible for their team to win the title. So as far as PSL and IPL are concerned, both are at the same level.

Last night, Virat's inning was a fabulous one but it proved to be the difference between win and loss. Same is the case with babar.

Kohli is clearly better and has had the better career. The best time to argue that Babar had a chance to have similar accomplishments was immediately post 2021 T20 WC win against India since he was also coming off some good Test performances and also the 2019 WC where he had the most runs ever by a Pakistan batsmen in a WC.

If we had continued improving after that, maybe there’d be a discussion. But, instead Babar’s 2023 WC was much worse than his 2019 and his recent tournament performances have been worse than his previous ones. It would be very difficult for him to catch up to Kohli now, he would have to have a massively improved run for the next 5 years.
Babar at peak has remained an amazing accumulator who scores good runs for his team and ensures other batsmen at the other end can play freely.

Kohli at his peak is the ultimate game changer. Big difference.

Both at their worst suck though.

Both Babar and Virat have been top players for their franchise teams in PSL and IPL but they never made it possible for their team to win the title. So as far as PSL and IPL are concerned, both are at the same level.

Last night, Virat's inning was a fabulous one but it proved to be the difference between win and loss. Same is the case with babar.
No score is safe with RCB rubbish bowling .

When Karachi Kings won in 2020 Babar Azam was the top scorer in the whole tournament.

Although I think it’s not possible to compare between performances in PSL and IPL, they’re both very different.

Babar at peak has remained an amazing accumulator who scores good runs for his team and ensures other batsmen at the other end can play freely.

Kohli at his peak is the ultimate game changer. Big difference.

Both at their worst suck though.
That’s what I mean by Babar would have had to keep improving from that point onwards. Instead his performances have regressed since that time.

That’s what I mean by Babar would have had to keep improving from that point onwards. Instead his performances have regressed since that time.
His performance regressed because of captaincy pressure.

In the 2017-2019 era he was viewed as Pakistan's ideal no 3, he could be counted on and considered reliable however the team around him wasn't exactly weak, they all supported each other

From 2020-2024 he's viewed as our star batsmen and some world class bat who's the oxygen of the team. He succumbed to that pressure.

Skills wise he has more shots now though.

Virat Kohli at the back end of his career becoming a useless T20 opener like Babar Azam
Babar is T20 GOAT. Just look at his no. of centuries and runs. He is not even half way into his T20 career and has 11 tons. All 3 international tons are match winning, 2 in succesfully chasing 200+ totals. Period

Babar is T20 GOAT. Just look at his no. of centuries and runs. He is not even half way into his T20 career and has 11 tons. All 3 international tons are match winning, 2 in succesfully chasing 200+ totals. Period
Has nothing of note.

Mostly bashing C sides.

Babar's strongest format is ODI.

in T20 he is a nothing player.

World class, lol.

Gayle is the t20 goat. Babar failed in both t20 wcs

World acknowledges both babar and kohli as one of the best batters in the world. We fans will never be satisfied.

Babar Azam's career - for an allegedly Fab-whatever batsman - is going nowhere.

He's 30 with less than 4k runs in tests and just 1 century in SENA. He's likely to retire with less than 20 centuries in tests and that's hardly great even by Pakistan's abysmal batting standards.

He's a mediocre T20 batsman with a SR of under 130. The fact that he averages 40+ with that low SR means he eats up a lot of balls and harms his own team's chances.

The one format where he has great numbers turns out to be illusory - cheap bilateral runs against either weak teams like Nepal or against 3rd string attacks for higher ranked teams.

Time is running out fast for him I am afraid.

Having said all that I do think he's a talented batsman but mentally not quite up there.

The fact that Baber Azam could have become the world wide brand after Wc-21 like Kohli but instead he choose to be the part of all those things other than cricket is so under-discussed. That Back-foot punch to Shami and we all thought that the dominating Baber we all dreamt is here. But destiny had other plans, 5 major tournaments, 5 flop shows as a batter, fitness just a mere shadow of when he started his career, cover drive became less attractive. Captaincy or fame, don't know what happened but it's a downfall no one likes to talk about. I know one t20 century here and there against nobodies of PSL and people say that he is back.But a pure fan would have wanted him to score a century against Aussies in test series like he did in 2019,but again big expectation, little performance. I know people are on the moon since he returned as a captain, but I would have wanted him to be like Younis Khan, man had a Wc trophy, a brain better than many who captained Pak till he was playing but choose to be the best test batter Pak has ever produced. May you score lots of runs Baber, but those who have followed Pak cricket over the years, know that Pct captaincy is a dirty job and a very dirty one, destroyed many, made few!

Gayle is the t20 goat. Babar failed in both t20 wcs
He was the top scorer in one with over 300 runs in 5 innings while the star of the SF in the 2nd one he played. You need to recheck the definition of "fail" again. As far as I remember, Chris Gayle was not in even top 3 run getters in any of the WCs.

He was the top scorer in one with over 300 runs in 5 innings while the star of the SF in the 2nd one he played. You need to recheck the definition of "fail" again. As far as I remember, Chris Gayle was not in even top 3 run getters in any of the WCs.
Yes, at a mind boggling SR of 126, don't forget he played a match losing innings in the semis.

There will never be any comparison. Virat is a different beast - A world class match winner.

He was winning games since he was 22 years old. Babar is good by Pakistani standards but he can never replicate some of the things Kohli did at such young age. At 28 Years old, Babar is just plain average compared to Kohli and still can not win single handedly or dominate against quality attacks. A good looking cover drive can not make you a world beater.

Babar is least impactful player of a T20 match.

I will keep repeating in every thread.

A team losing will continue to lose or a team winning will continue to win irrespective of Babars performance and knocks.
That is the biggest lie and myth and only people that don't understand cricket believe it

If you have to make a case to compare with a top batsman, Babar has a good case to be compared to Kane Williamson. Similar type of player and temparament. Root, Kohli and Smith along with Warner, Rohit, Butler etc are clearly a notch above. I am assuming people already know that but if you want to stick with rhetoric, then I will obviously take the high road :))

Back