The Babar Azam versus Virat Kohli comparison

So first you say that we should take the attacks faced into consideration. But at the same time, we should not take into consideration Kohl's stat padding against some of the worst West Indies attacks of all time the last couple of years?

Last couple of years? So are you ignoring what Kohli did in 2016 and 2019? 6 out his 8 tests in WI came in that period. Stop embarassing yourselves.

And lol at Gabriel, Holder, Roach, Alzarri is a worst attack. I don't even know what to say now

For a while there looked like there could be a comparison but the gap is just far too wide.

Kohli on his last legs is scoring runs in a way that Babar has never been able to.

He's perhaps the GOAT of LOi cricket and its unfair to compare Babae to him.

It is one of the most forced artificial cricketing comparisons. It is like comparing Shai Hope with Brian Lara because Hope has 10 point better average and almost similar strike rate

Basically a desperate attempt to have their own version of Kohli. Which is pretty unfortunate because Babar on his own is a great batter and is on his way to ATG status atleast for Pakistan.

All these delusional comparisons have only brought a negative vibe to his career in the past few years.

Virat Kohli

Overall Test average - 49.29
Test average if we exclude home Tests - 42.35

Drop off - 6.94

Babar Azam

Overall Test average - 47.74
Test average if we exclude home Tests - 38.97

Drop off - 8.77

But but but "mAthEmaTicAl iLliTeRateE". Babar fans are truly an embarrassing breed. Poor guy doesn't deserve them.
Wow, you’ve now discovered what an away average is! I’m impressed! Even though both players away averages have already been posted and discussed in the thread 😂

Last couple of years? So are you ignoring what Kohli did in 2016 and 2019? 6 out his 8 tests in WI came in that period. Stop embarassing yourselves.

And lol at Gabriel, Holder, Roach, Alzarri is a worst attack. I don't even know what to say now
They’re the 8th ranked test team. You’re so desperate that you’re bragging about runs against Alzarri Joseph?? Sheesh, that’s a new low. Makes sense though when it’s been 10 years since you won an ICC trophy 😂

Wow, you’ve now discovered what an away average is! I’m impressed! Even though both players away averages have already been posted and discussed in the thread 😂

You can add all the smilies you want but it doesn't change the fact that I've exposed you. Only reason behind Babar's reasonably good Test average is because of home bullying on cement roads. And the funny thing is , even with all that statpadding he couldn't help his team win a series against Australia, England or New Zealand on home soil.

They’re the 8th ranked test team. You’re so desperate that you’re bragging about runs against Alzarri Joseph?? Sheesh, that’s a new low. Makes sense though when it’s been 10 years since you won an ICC trophy 😂

You know a Pakistani fan has embarassed himself/herself and lost the argument when they bring up "ICC titles for 10 years" In a completely non-related discussion.

Thanks for the sign. :)

You know a Pakistani fan has embarassed himself/herself and lost the argument when they bring up "ICC titles for 10 years" In a completely non-related discussion.

Thanks for the sign. :)
I mean forget ICC titles, Kohli couldn’t even perform in an IPL final.

Note:
Please stop having personal conflicts rather than just stick to the topic of the thread. All unrelated posts will be removed.

Non comparison really. Babar is way below Kohli. His fanboy attitude shows you that Kohli is miles ahead. Also they way Kohli dominated the best, Babar never has.

Fitness wise Kohli is more serious. Babar has a belly.

Babar is talented enough to be at the same level but doesn't have the mental fortitude.

Virat is like a machine that calculates situations on the go. It's one of the reasons he's a master at run chases in ODIs. He manipulates the other team with singles, doubles, and then the rush of boundaries. It's very similar to Dhoni and Yuvraj at their peak.

Babar doesn't have that ability and is more reliant on his skill to manage tough situations. It works sometimes and then completely falls apart in others.

Babars average of 67 in England is as inflated as it gets, he has played just one decent innings there (a 70 odd not out) apart from that all were meaningless runs.

Kohlis eng tour of 2018 where he avgd 58 and was the highest run scorer by a big margin is clear pf anything Babar has done in away tests

Babar has basically played zero innings of note in away tests, I seriously can’t remember one also has just one century in SENA, how are his away performances being compared to someone who has 12 sena hundreds just on the basis of some inflated stats.?

Babar has basically played zero innings of note in away tests, I seriously can’t remember one also has just one century in SENA, how are his away performances being compared to someone who has 12 sena hundreds just on the basis of some inflated stats.?
It doesn't matter, if he can't perform at big stage. He is a choker.

Last edited:
Kohli makes him look like a third class club cricketer.
These days many make him a club level ametuer. Kohli, Rohit, Gill, Warner, Markram, Conway, Malan, Mendis....
Hell his own teammates aka accumulator club members Rizwan, Abdullah & Imam are embarrassing him. He was good at just one thing & that was stat padding. It seems facing continuous quality attacks has forced him to forget even that.

These days many make him a club level ametuer. Kohli, Rohit, Gill, Warner, Markram, Conway, Malan, Mendis....
Hell his own teammates aka accumulator club members Rizwan, Abdullah & Imam are embarrassing him. He was good at just one thing & that was stat padding. It seems facing continuous quality attacks has forced him to forget even that.
Babar has a great PR machinery by the look of it. They keep bombarding with tweets "King babar this king babar that" while putting down other contemporary greats just to attract more responses. They monetize using those posts. Kohli has the biggest social media base by country mile. So they indulge in this comparison. They don't compare him with guys like Conway, Warner, Markram as nobody cares about those comparison.

Babar has a great PR machinery by the look of it. They keep bombarding with tweets "King babar this king babar that" while putting down other contemporary greats just to attract more responses. They monetize using those posts. Kohli has the biggest social media base by country mile. So they indulge in this comparison. They don't compare him with guys like Conway, Warner, Markram as nobody cares about those comparison.
Obviously he has always been compared with fab four & Rohit mostly since those guys get most clicks. Then at times clowns & stooges like Rameez, Sohail or Bazeed name drop Lara, Sachin, Ponting, Bradman to create more controversy. At this stage, it's safe to say he is the most overrated "legendary" batsman of the history. I was reluctant to give him this title since I think that crown belongs to one & only Kallis, but Babar is forcing me to actually appreciate & soften up on that selfish proteas.

A humble plea to all Babar fans:

Please accept once and for all that Babar is not and never will be as good as Kohli.

Kohli is not better than him because he played with the likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag, Laxman etc.

Kohli is better because he has more natural ability, higher level of skill and greater mental resilience.

It wasn’t because of Tendulkar or Dravid or Sehwag that he had the mental strength and focus to score a match-saving century for Delhi hours after cremating his father.

It wasn’t because of Tendulkar or Dravid or anyone else that he gave up junk food and alcohol in 2012 to improve his fitness levels.

He has God given ability and mental awareness. Babar is also a gifted player but not as gifted as Kohli.

If Kohli was in Pakistan and Babar was Indian, Kohli would still be a greater player.

Babar fans don’t realize that by forcing comparisons with someone who is out of his league, they are subjecting Babar to unnecessary criticism.

It is not Babar’s fault that he is not and cannot be Kohli. Kohli is a great among greats. He belongs in the upper pantheons of batting greats and there are only very few batsmen in history who can be compared with him and Babar isn’t one of them.

Kohli is in the league of Tendulkar, Lara, Sir Viv, Ponting etc. and Babar is clearly not in that category.

You can still be an excellent batsman even if you are not as good as Kohli. There is no shame in that. Babar is an excellent batsman but when you overrate him and overhype, you make people forget how good Babar is.

You have to be really good to be as prolific as he has been and the fact that he is head and shoulders above everyone else in Pakistan and has been for years shows that he is really good.

Please stop comparing him to batsmen who out of his league and learn to celebrate him for who he is.

Babar wouldn’t be scrutinized and criticized so much if his fans wouldn’t have been so irrational and out of touch with reality.

Babar’s biggest enemies aren’t his critics but his ardent fans.

Obviously he has always been compared with fab four & Rohit mostly since those guys get most clicks. Then at times clowns & stooges like Rameez, Sohail or Bazeed name drop Lara, Sachin, Ponting, Bradman to create more controversy. At this stage, it's safe to say he is the most overrated "legendary" batsman of the history. I was reluctant to give him this title since I think that crown belongs to one & only Kallis, but Babar is forcing me to actually appreciate & soften up on that selfish proteas.
I always consider Akram a level headed commentator. But even he kept using the tag "World no.1 batsman" every time. There was a question posed to viewers Bumrah vs Babar who will win the contest. First it was 90% - 10% in favor Bumrah. Akram got a bit touchy forgetting this is just a trivial segment which just captures which audience watch the match more. He was like "How can no.1 batsman have only 10%" :) But ofcourse numbers changed somewhat later. But he was hoping more like 50-50.

Some of the comparisons are ridiculous on social media. I am sure they know it is ridiculous. But as long as it helps them make money why do they care. If a kohli gets out to some XXXX bowler, they share a video where Babar hits a 4 of the same XXXX bowler and tweets "Hitting 4 of XXXX bowler is not everyone's cup of tea". Kohli fans get offended they end up responding. I think they probably picked this up from Rohit fans vs Kohli fans during IPL which is a fight of its own. IPL has created a lot of division among fans. MSD retired long back. Fans still indulge in MSD vs Rohit vs Kohli fight.

Honestly this is ridiculous and actually does a disservice to babar. There is frankly no comparison at all. Nobody outside this thread thinks that babar is or was a better batsman than kohli. For example venkatesh prasad is from ind and I would support him as an indian bowler but there is no way I would say he's better than waqar younis just because waqar is from pak and not from ind even if he has a better strike rate or average which have mercy I hope is not the case.... 🙂🙂

For a while there looked like there could be a comparison but the gap is just far too wide.

Kohli on his last legs is scoring runs in a way that Babar has never been able to.

+1

It's unfair to Babar.

Babar should focus on scoring some away tons otherwise this hype is just hype for PR purpose. He has 2 away tons in 28 tests so far. He should aim to at least get to double digits.

Away Test tons for Asian Batsmen

1away.jpg2away.jpg

Please accept once and for all that Babar is not and never will be as good as Kohli.

Kohli is not better than him because he played with the likes of Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag, Laxman etc.

Kohli is better because he has more natural ability, higher level of skill and greater mental resilience.

It wasn’t because of Tendulkar or Dravid or Sehwag that he had the mental strength and focus to score a match-saving century for Delhi hours after cremating his father.

It wasn’t because of Tendulkar or Dravid or anyone else that he gave up junk food and alcohol in 2012 to improve his fitness levels.

He has God given ability and mental awareness. Babar is also a gifted player but not as gifted as Kohli.

If Kohli was in Pakistan and Babar was Indian, Kohli would still be a greater player.

Babar fans don’t realize that by forcing comparisons with someone who is out of his league, they are subjecting Babar to unnecessary criticism.

It is not Babar’s fault that he is not and cannot be Kohli. Kohli is a great among greats. He belongs in the upper pantheons of batting greats and there are only very few batsmen in history who can be compared with him and Babar isn’t one of them.

Kohli is in the league of Tendulkar, Lara, Sir Viv, Ponting etc. and Babar is clearly not in that category.

You can still be an excellent batsman even if you are not as good as Kohli. There is no shame in that. Babar is an excellent batsman but when you overrate him and overhype, you make people forget how good Babar is.

You have to be really good to be as prolific as he has been and the fact that he is head and shoulders above everyone else in Pakistan and has been for years shows that he is really good.

Please stop comparing him to batsmen who out of his league and learn to celebrate him for who he is.

Babar wouldn’t be scrutinized and criticized so much if his fans wouldn’t have been so irrational and out of touch with reality.

Kohli had one other thing that Babar didn’t. The high benchmarks set by his teammates, whether in the national team, or IPL, that fuelled his desire to go beyond. SRT, Rohit, ABdV, to name a few.

In team sports your own teammates force you to do better. Kohli would have looked at these guys every day, played alongside them, been inspired by them, and striven to do as well or better.
Who in his teams did/ does Babar have to look up to, emulate or surpass?

One could argue that Babar should have sufficient drive to set those higher goals himself, without having the inspirational/ direct/ challenging example of his close peers, unlike Kohli. But I often wonder if Babar have done better had he been Indian or Australian. Who knows

Yeah, extremely well said. There are lots of cricketers who may not be the best in their era, but very good nonetheless. Azharuddin was one of my real heroes and he was never as good as Sachin. But he was adored all over the country and had his own achievements. Babar is an excellent batsman, nice on the eyes, composed and well -balanced player. One of the reason I come to this forum is to see others opinion on Pakistan players. But continuously seeing him and others being hyped is just revolting. Let him be Babar. He will do fine and he will leave his own legacy. It doesn't have to be as good as Virat's legacy and that's okay

Kohli had one other thing that Babar didn’t. The high benchmarks set by his teammates, whether in the national team, or IPL, that fuelled his desire to go beyond. SRT, Rohit, ABdV, to name a few.

In team sports your own teammates force you to do better. Kohli would have looked at these guys every day, played alongside them, been inspired by them, and striven to do as well or better.

One could argue that Babar should have sufficient drive to set those higher goals himself, without having the inspirational/ direct/ challenging example of his close peers, unlike Kohli. But I often wonder if Babar have done better had he been Indian or Australian. Who knows
What a lofty argument? What Drive did Sunil Gavaskar had to be the first 10k man? Or Kapil Dev to be the first Indian fast bowler? Great players have inate drive and determination inbuilt. You don't need examples yo follow as it comes from within.

I always consider Akram a level headed commentator. But even he kept using the tag "World no.1 batsman" every time. There was a question posed to viewers Bumrah vs Babar who will win the contest. First it was 90% - 10% in favor Bumrah. Akram got a bit touchy forgetting this is just a trivial segment which just captures which audience watch the match more. He was like "How can no.1 batsman have only 10%" :) But ofcourse numbers changed somewhat later. But he was hoping more like 50-50.
That is Akram's stock template. You wont be able to find a line without the "One of the best batter....", "Best bowler..." etc phrase. Not specific about Babar.

That is Akram's stock template. You wont be able to find a line without the "One of the best batter....", "Best bowler..." etc phrase. Not specific about Babar.
Akram is one of the worst sleep inducing commentators. So boring . And the classic- and the score is 200 for 4 line lol ! Just reading the scoreboard. Man some of these great players are such boring commies- akram waqar kapil tendulkar Lara viv-Richards-- amazes me such flamboyant great players but so such horrible come inducing commies 🙂

His career will end playing fast class leagues

Even Rizwan is better batsman than this lool guy,

What a lofty argument? What Drive did Sunil Gavaskar had to be the first 10k man? Or Kapil Dev to be the first Indian fast bowler? Great players have inate drive and determination inbuilt. You don't need examples yo follow as it comes from within.

I said in my post that “One could argue that Babar should have sufficient drive to set those higher goals himself”.

Babar is 29. God knows why I kept thinking he was 25 or thereabouts so mostly felt the criticism coming his way, way over the top.

His test numbers are strictly average for someone rated as second coming of Bradman. He doesn't have much time to correct those numbers either if he wants to be spoken of as Pakistan's greatest. Even if he has a purple patch over the next 5 years across formats, he's so far behind in tests he'll never be spoken of as an ATG in tests.

OTOH, he should not fret over labels like ATG and do what Pant has done. Play memorable knocks in SENA countries that stay in memory for a long time.

I said in my post that “One could argue that Babar should have sufficient drive to set those higher goals himself”.
he does have. The whole thread and points are about comparisons with Kohli/Sachin and other batting greats.
He is not there yet, plus he may not get their has he is more of a stable batter who can bat through the innings with minimum risks. But modern ODI cricket has changed a lot and his impact is yet to be seen. Not a match winner yet.

I should add that Pant can never play an inning more in tests and yet, Indian fans would unhesitatingly put him ahead of Dhoni in Indian ATG XI.

This is the template for Babar. Outrageous feats of batting in tests.

This too shall pass…

Why did he ever think he needed to tweet that?
With each passing day, I get convinced that it was Rambo's idea. Only he could of thought of something so cringeworthy. Babar being the admin of Kohli fanclub immediately agreed as he must have felt it would endear him more towards his idol. Babar isn't that smart or bright to make up something like this on his own.

You have to understand from where Akram was coming from. Originally he was one of the fewest former Pak cricketers who used to criticize Babar's failures & chokings, last year after Pak jobbed to Zim he couldn't control himself anymore & kind of burst the bubble of Babar's aura. He also revealed how Babar selfishly dictates everything in psl franchise. What happened next was Pak by sheer stroke of luck made it to the finals & the entire toxic fanbase then went upon Akram & humiliated him mercilessly. Since then Akram has become more self aware whenever he talks about Babar. Make no mistake he is not a member of Babar fanclub like those stooges Ramiz or Sohail. He just mellowed himself because he has realized that the fanclub is too emotional & intolerant.

There are enough things Babar can /could have set up his mind which were done by his own countrymen. Other than chasing Anwar's 20 century there are many more, if he was really ambitious enough. Younis has set a great standard for a proper test great, Anwar has terrific numbers in icc tournaments, he is not even remotely close to what Miandad, Inzy & Yousuf have achieved. If he had a proper brain on his head & wasn't guided by stooges like Rameez he would have realized there are enough things to do simply as a Pak batsman. He should have first concentrated on becoming the best Pak, but instead he became too obsessed with the entire number 1 ranking, 60 average & all those silly comparisons.

I honestly believe that 5 of SA's top 6 are better ODI batters than Babar. They all have atleast 2 more gears than him

Forget Virat Kohli, Babar is similar to Temba Bavuma.
Atleast Temba can score quickly when matters.
Sirf cover drive acha hone se bada player nahi bante.

I remember people were comparing Saeed Anwar to Sachin which was not even close. Same thing happening with Babar and Virat.

Babar is a fine batsman with good technic but needs a long way to go.

I remember people were comparing Saeed Anwar to Sachin which was not even close. Same thing happening with Babar and Virat.

Babar is a fine batsman with good technic but needs a long way to go.
No, that comparison wasn't as silly as this one. Anwar while never was as good as Sachin was, he was legitimately one of the fewest back in the 90's who were around Sachin's caliber & match winning ability. Up until 99, only Lara, Anwar & Mark Waugh were close enough to Sachin in odi's. Sachin >Anwar while Kohli >>>> Babar.

Woah this is brutal for all the Babar haters. If you compare Babar to the same point in Kohli’s career, Babar has a higher average, higher strike rate, more 50’s, more 100’s, more 4’s, more 6’s, and a way way better record against South Africa, Australia, and England.

“Babar doesn’t make me feel the same way Kohli does” is literally the argument Babar’s haters are making.
Lol you guys are comparing 29 year old Babar with 24 year old Kohli..

In 2023 Virat Kohli has proved himself a better batsman compared to Babar but Babar has significantly improved his strike rate.

Who is going to have a better record in 2024?

1701883291869.jpeg

21 and 14.

Both the times his team desperately wanted him to perform.

Feel bad for Babar. He never asked for this comparison. It’s his senseless and starving fan girls who haven’t had an ATG or GOAT performer to root for in years forcefully comparing him to Kohli. They are hallucinating.

Forceful inclusion of Babar into "FAB 4" has done him more harm. He became stat-obsessed. ABDV was never compared with any player of his era because he played in an inbetween era. So did Sangakkara. Tendulkar/Lara/Punter in the 2000s Then Fab 4 now. In between there were no comparisons.

Well he earned that spot!

Yeah, he's not in good form so it doesn't mean his inclusion in the Fab 4 is not justified.
No he doesn't. They have been doing that for more than a decade. Root has 11000 runs. Kohli/Smith/Williamson have more than 8000 runs. Babar has not reached 4000 mark yet. They have more away/neutral runs than Babar's total runs.

Well he earned that spot!

Yeah, he's not in good form so it doesn't mean his inclusion in the Fab 4 is not justified.
No he hasn't. Fab 4 was a term coined by Martin crowe to refer to a group of 4 particular players who belonged to the same age group. Babar could be the next bradman but he will never be a part of the fab 4 because he belongs to a different age group, just like ab and rohit were never a part of the fab 4

HaHa .... bowled for 1. Real men perform against Australia, particularly in Australia.

Babar is nowhere close to Kohli .stop this comparison .
Babar is not even Pakistan best Batsman right now .

This comparison is pretty much final now. Babar is not even close to Virat unfortunately. Even though Virat is also not doing well in tests atm, still it is a poor show from Babar.

No comparisons are needed. Babar has delined and has been poor in all formats.

Pakistani fans and their obsession with finding the next Tendulkar, the next Kohli and soon it will be the next Gill.

Babar is without any doubt the most overrated player in the history of cricket.

In the 1st Test between India and South Africa, Virat Kohli scored 38(64) in the first innings and a strong 76(82) in the second. Unfortunately, during the second innings, the absence of a solid partnership with him prevented India from potentially avoiding an innings and 32-run defeat against South Africa.

Back