The Euro 2020 Tournament (11 June to 11 July)

They wont necessarily knock Portugal out, the best 4 third placed teams still go through so providing Portugal don’t lose badly they would qualify potentially as their GD is already decent
Lose by a couple of goals and a negative GD could really make it tough.

Spain struggling again.

1 1 versus Poland at the moment.

Another team looking well below their best so far.

Ronaldo was quite average today.

He tried to show off in one of his casual passes not realising perhaps which Football nation he was playing against. The match turned on its head right at that moment.

Robert Lewandowski scored his first goal of Euro 2020 as Poland held Spain to keep alive their hopes of reaching the knockouts.

Poland knew that a defeat would mean they could not progress from Group E and they fell behind towards the end of the first half when Alvaro Morata's close-range finish was given by VAR after initially being ruled out for offside.

But Lewandowski, who had struggled to make an impact in Poland's opening-game defeat to Slovakia, equalised early in the second half when he thumped home a header.

Spain had the chance to retake the lead soon after with a penalty, awarded by referee Daniele Orsato after he had checked a challenge on Gerard Moreno on the pitchside monitor, but Moreno compounded to slam his effort against the post before Morata sent the follow-up wide.

Manchester City forward Ferran Torres headed wide as Spain pushed in the closing stages, while Morata was denied from point-blank range by Poland goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny late on.

But too often their play was predictable and lacking in urgency and the draw means the three-time European champions are still without a win at Euro 2020 after they were held to a goalless draw by Sweden in their opener.

Spain are third in Group E with two points, with Slovakia second on three and Sweden top with four. Luis Enrique's side play Slovakia in their final group game on Wednesday (17:00 BST) while Poland take on Sweden at the same time.

Spain's squad seems to be an abundance of mediocrity.

They'd better wake up or they'll be on a plane to Madrid very soon.

Portugal went into this tournament with one of there best teams in years, but theyve been poor as there worse teams have in the last 15 years, they were lucky against hungry and got slaughtered today, they will need to pick themselves up against france and if there to lose will need to make the damage as light as possible in order to go through as a third place team, that goal by jota and those late goals against hungry may end up being crucial for them.

In the last 10 years, Germany has been by far the most fascinating football team out there. They took the Spanish tiki taka model and made it even better.

I don't even think they played that well today but they still came from 0-1 down to smash the opponent 4-2 which seemed like a typical day.

They aee just too shabby defense wise. I call them overconfident , always getting caught in awkward positions during the counter attack. When they sort it out they are a tournament winning calibre team always!!

The talent in their midfield is just incredible. Which team out there can claim to have a better midfield than Germany? I don't think any

It worked today but they no longer have creative midfielder in the center like Ozel, Effenberg or Mathias Sammer. Today the team clicked and the opponents weren’t too good but i think it will be difficult for germany against fast paced counter attacking teams like Netherlands.

France aint that good either but after todays game, i expect both France & Germany to qualify from this group.

Passive, predictable, no spark.

Spain were once the dominant force in world football but now appear a shadow of their former selves after another limp display at Euro 2020 left them under serious pressure heading into their final group game.

Luis Enrique's side were held to a 1-1 draw by Poland on Saturday - their second in succession in Group E after a goalless draw with Sweden in their opener.

It means the three-time European champions face Slovakia next Wednesday knowing they need to win to guarantee qualification to the knockouts.

"We lack a bit of luck," Spain full-back Jordi Alba said. "We're doing things well and we are going to turn things around, I am convinced of that.

"Nobody can question our effort. People can blame us all they want but the intensity, the motivation that this team has is unquestionable."

While Spain's campaign is faltering, Poland's has sparked into life after their talismanic striker Robert Lewandowski got his first goal of the tournament in the 1-1 draw.

In the late 2000s and early 2010s Spain were the team be feared. They overwhelmed opponents with their stylish 'Tiki-taka' football as they won the European Championship in 2008 and 2012 and the World Cup in 2010.

Passing and possession still remains a dominant part of the game, having had 85% and 76% possession in their games against Sweden and Poland respectively.

But the problem they appear to face now is they have little idea of what to do with all that time on the ball and have few leaders on the pitch capable of lifting them in difficult moments.

"Football is still a physical game," former Germany head coach Jurgen Klinsmann said on BBC One.

"Carles Puyol, Sergio Busquets or Sergio Ramos give you fear, it will be a battlefield. This Spain team is full of technical talent, they know how to read the space and when to play but there is no fear anymore.

"When opponents come on to the field and don't see a Puyol or Ramos in the warm-up you think, 'You know what, we have a chance.'"

No striker and weak midfield?
Spain have had 29 shots on goal in their two games so far but have scored just the one goal - Alvaro Morata's close-range finish against Poland, which was given by VAR after initially being ruled out for offside.

Morata has received criticism for his performances, having missed two big chances against Sweden, but he is not alone in coming up short in the Spain attack. Gerard Moreno hit the post with his penalty against Poland, while Dani Olmo managed just one shot on goal before he was substituted in that game.

"This Spanish team have still got very good players," former England defender Micah Richards said on BBC One.

"I don't think it's as bad as people are saying like there are no major stars, they are just missing that striker who can just finish off them chances."

Spanish football writer Guillem Balague believes Spain's limitations do not exist solely in their attack.

"It is the worst midfield I remember in Spain," he said.

Robert Lewandowski became only the third player to score in three separate major tournaments (World Cup and Euros) for Poland, after Grzegorz Lato and Andrzej Szarmach.

Spain have plenty of time to turn things around, but progress is far from certain in a wide open Group E in which all four teams can still qualify.

Poland looked to be heading out after 45 minutes but kept their hopes alive with Lewandowski opening his tournament account.

The Bayern Munich striker has been in prolific form for club and country in recent years, with his 55 goals in 47 games in 2019-20 seeing him named the best men's player at the Best Fifa Football Awards in December last year.

But he has struggled at major competitions for his country, with Saturday's goal only his third in 13 tournament games.

It was, however, a classic Lewandowski strike - a thumping header from close range that no goalkeeper would have been able to stop - and it could now inspire him to add further goals and help send Poland into the last 16.

"I wouldn't bet against Lewandowski," former England defender Rio Ferdinand said on BBC One.

"This is a chance for him to really stamp himself in a tournament and I think that's something that's not on his CV at the moment. With him as the inspiration, I'll go with Poland to go through."

It is all to play in the final round of group fixtures.

Spain will go progress if they beat Slovakia. They will finish third if they draw unless Poland win.

Poland will go through as runners up if they win and the other game does not end in a draw.

Sweden just need to avoid defeat against Poland to go through. If they lose and the other game ends level then Sweden, Slovakia and Poland will be split for first to third place on results between the three teams.

A defeat will see Sweden finish third.

Slovakia will progress with a win against Spain, or if they draw and Sweden avoid defeat.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57542422

That Hungary draw has thrown this group open.

France vs Portugal will be tasty considering France would want to finish top (and avoid a potential clash with England) and also knock a challenger in Portugal out

Tbh a potential clash with England is a desired outcome and not something that’s to be avoided.
I wish we will get to see Germany v England in the next round.

It worked today but they no longer have creative midfielder in the center like Ozel, Effenberg or Mathias Sammer. Today the team clicked and the opponents weren’t too good but i think it will be difficult for germany against fast paced counter attacking teams like Netherlands.

France aint that good either but after todays game, i expect both France & Germany to qualify from this group.

I stated in relative terms regarding their midfield. Some of these players need more big tournament confidence to make a name but purely on sheet German midfield even today is in my opinion the best in the world.

They just have two major flaws.

They don't defend that well anymore and they don't have a true superstar striker. One of the two they manage to work around, the other is a major major flaw and will always be put to test against capable teams.

All said and done, their offensive midfield will always keep them in the hunt. If I was a defender German midfield would be my biggest challenge.

Tbh a potential clash with England is a desired outcome and not something that’s to be avoided.

It will be a much hyped match :afridi

Hope we get that

The Euro 2020 Tournament (11 June to 11 July)The Euro 2020 Tournament (11 June to 11 July)

Another good match yesterday night. Hah´, I´ve no idea how Poland avoided conceding a second goal there, as Spain always looked most threatening to score but somewhere weren´t able to get the ball past the Polish goal-keeper, somehow. They missed a penalty too, so there´re no excuses for Spain. Poland did their part alright, of course.

It was a great day in the tournament yesterday. Three great games, three surprising results.

Yeah England dont look as sharp but then think playing on the break might suit them rather than dictating play. They have good players for the counter

Sterling, Mount, Rashford, Sancho(If he plays) are terrific on the counter. They showed that during the Nation league games against Belgium, Spain and Croatia that they like playing on the break with their 2 DMs holding fort. Controlling games not their forte really

Anyways England in R16 are not the best opponents to face. Doubt Germany/France would prefer them over say Finland, Wales or Austria which first spot gives

Gareth Southgate has confirmed Harry Kane will start England's #Euro2020 clash against the Czech Republic.

Turkey's defence is so bad.

No positional sense at all. All over the place.

Already 2-0 down to the Swiss.

Gareth Bale missed a huge, a huge, opportunity to go home with an impressive 1-1 draw against a strong team like Italy. Would´ve been great for them. Not been a great tournament for Bale so far.

Turkey is absolutely horrible. Can't believe people had them as one of the favourites.

No way! Really? Wow, if so.... They were plain awful in the tournament, going home with an overall scoreline of 1-7 or something, I think.

Gareth Bale missed a huge, a huge, opportunity to go home with an impressive 1-1 draw against a strong team like Italy. Would´ve been great for them. Not been a great tournament for Bale so far.

No way! Really? Wow, if so.... They were plain awful in the tournament, going home with an overall scoreline of 1-7 or something, I think.

Not favourites but dark horses. They were terrible and had the luxury of having two home games too, which many other teams did not.

Wales demonstrated great resolve in defeat against Italy as they clung on with 10 men for a result which was enough to secure their place in the second round of Euro 2020.

Their automatic qualification was under threat with Switzerland beating Turkey 3-1 in Group A's other fixture, but Wales withstood relentless Italian pressure to scrape through in second place on goal difference.

Italy had already qualified for the last 16 and, despite making eight changes to their team, they were still utterly dominant, Matteo Pessina's goal giving them a 1-0 half-time lead which scarcely reflected their superiority.

Wales were forced to play the final half an hour a man down after Ethan Ampadu was sent off for a lunge on Federico Bernardeschi, intensifying the Italian onslaught.

And although Italy's win was never in doubt - this was their 30th consecutive match without defeat, equalling their national record - Wales dug deep to ensure the margin of victory was not too damaging.

Finishing third may well have been enough for Wales to progress as one of the tournament's four best third-placed teams, but this result ensured they kept their destiny in their own hands.

Robert Page and his players can now look forward to a second-round match against Group B's runners-up in Amsterdam next Saturday.

As for Italy, an 11th consecutive win will see them face Group C's second-placed team at Wembley on the same day.

Switzerland gave themselves a superb chance of qualifying for the last 16 of Euro 2020 as one of the best third-placed sides with a superb victory that sends Turkey home without a point to their name.

Needing a win in Baku to stand any chance of progression, the Swiss produced by far their best display of the tournament - one that could and probably should have yielded a bigger and more rewarding win.

Xherdan Shaqiri and Haris Seferovic were the goalscoring heroes, silencing those who had questioned their places in the side with a collection of fine goals, all of them assisted by Steven Zuber.

The first of Shaqiri's brace - to make it 2-0 in the first half - was especially good, the Liverpool man curling in from the edge of the box.

Equally as important was Yann Sommer in the Swiss goal, who produced a string of good saves to keep a much-improved Turkey at bay, especially in the first half.

At the other end, Ugurcan Cakir was just as impressive, saving numerous times to frustrate a Swiss side who knew that a Wales loss in Italy and a five-goal swing would give them second in the group.

Turkey were able to score their first goal of the tournament and a fine one it was too, Irfan Can Kahveci smashing in a long-range drive to briefly narrow the score to 2-1.

But having been many people's ill-judged dark horses for the tournament, they exit with a humbling zero points and a goal difference of minus seven.

Switzerland must now wait for the group games to be completed to see if their efforts will be enough to send them through.

The final standings for Group A:

amir1.jpg

Italy and Wales progress to the knockouts, Switzerland have a high chance of doing so too. Turkey are out after a pretty abysmal campaign.

In this Group A:
- Wales didnt deserve to go through. Its boring to watch them play.
- Switzerland missed their chance of qualifying.
- Turkey dont deserve to be in the tournament. Despite having an established football league and many players who are born and raised in other european countries, they delivered such an abysmal performance. They seriously need to fire their coach.

In this Group A:
- Wales didnt deserve to go through. Its boring to watch them play.
- Switzerland missed their chance of qualifying.
- Turkey dont deserve to be in the tournament. Despite having an established football league and many players who are born and raised in other european countries, they delivered such an abysmal performance. They seriously need to fire their coach.

Switzerland is still in

4 points is probably enought for a third place team to take them through.

Oh i see. My bad in assuming that only the top 2 teams go through.

UEFA has seriously deflated the standards by unnecessarily including all possible teams and dragging it on for too long. Public wants to see competitive and interesting football.

Sterling, Mount, Rashford, Sancho(If he plays) are terrific on the counter. They showed that during the Nation league games against Belgium, Spain and Croatia that they like playing on the break with their 2 DMs holding fort. Controlling games not their forte really

Anyways England in R16 are not the best opponents to face. Doubt Germany/France would prefer them over say Finland, Wales or Austria which first spot gives

Really?
I dont think any of these are the players of great calibre nor they look physically strong. Sterling is only good at running around fast but thats about it. These are not even the top class players in the Premier league.

So far I haven’t seen any glimpse of brilliance from any of the English players. Its a pity that despite having one of richest domestic league in the world (premier league) and english clubs winning Champions league, they cant produce any good players or Coaches for the National team.

BREAKING: Scotland midfielder Billy Gilmour has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss Tuesday's game with Croatia at Hampden Park.

BREAKING: Scotland midfielder Billy Gilmour has tested positive for coronavirus and will miss Tuesday's game with Croatia at Hampden Park.

It's curious what the reaction would have been from cricket fans and administrators if a player tested positive during the middle of a tournament or tour. Given the rabid hysteria in response to positive tests at the PSL and IPL recently, I suspect that the reaction wouldn't have been as blasé or understated as the one in this case.

France forward Ousmane Dembele will miss the rest of Euro 2020 after suffering a knee injury.

Dembele came on as a second-half substitute during his team's 1-1 draw with Hungary on Saturday but had to be replaced after 30 minutes.

"Ousmane Dembele had an X-ray at the Budapest hospital on Sunday night," the French Football Federation said in a statement on Monday.

"The recovery time is incompatible with him staying in the squad."

World champions France play holders Portugal in their final group game on Wednesday.

Didier Deschamps' side lead Group F on four points after two games, one ahead of second-placed Germany and third-placed Portugal.

Deschamps still has other attacking options behind starters Antoine Griezmann, Karim Benzema and Kylian Mbappe, with Olivier Giroud, Kingsley Coman and Wissam Ben Yedder in the squad.

BBC

A very bad showing by Ukraine. Never looked like challenging Austria except a very few occasions. Kept losing possession of the ball.

Congratulations to Austria!

Austria reached the knockout stages of the European Championship for the first time as a deserved win over Ukraine secured a last-16 tie against Italy.

Franco Foda's side produced a courageous display in Bucharest and Christoph Baumgartner's close-range finish proved enough to earn a Wembley meeting with the Italians on Saturday.

Ukraine - third in Group C - must wait to see if their tally of three points proves enough to reach the knockout stages and in truth their timid display here could have been punished more heavily by Austria.

Marko Arnautovic pushed a shot wide with the goal at his mercy moments before half-time as Austria served up 13 shots on goal before the break, a tally bettered only by Italy's 14 against Turkey on the opening night of the tournament.

Ukraine in contrast struggled to find any fluidity in their play, with their only threatening effort arriving when Mykola Shaparenko forced a routine diving save from Austrian keeper Daniel Bachmann in the first half.

Goals from Memphis Depay and Georginio Wijnaldum helped the Netherlands beat North Macedonia to make it three wins from three at Euro 2020.

Frank de Boer's side had already secured top spot in Group C with a game to spare having beaten Ukraine and Austria.

And they produced another dominant performance in front of 12,000 fans at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam.

The Dutch opened the scoring with a devastating counter-attack, started by a Daley Blind tackle on the edge of his own box and finished by a first-time Memphis Depay strike from Donyell Malen's cross.

Depay, playing his first game since his move to Barcelona was announced, now has nine goals and three assists in his past 10 games for the Netherlands.

Wijnaldum wrapped the game up in the second half with two goals in seven minutes, first tapping in from from Depay's well-placed cross, before Macedonian goalkeeper Stole Dimitrievski's save from Depay fell nicely for another close-range finish from the Netherlands captain.

The Dutch will travel to Budapest for their last-16 tie, where they will face the third-placed finisher from Group D, E or F on 27 June.

England have sacked their UEFA-appointed security team after a number of players and officials said they didn't feel safe at the team hotel in central London.

Denmark set up a last-16 tie with Wales in the European Championship after an emphatic victory over Russia on a frantic night in Copenhagen.

Knowing they needed to win and hope Belgium beat Finland, the hosts did not hold back and there were passionate scenes of celebration in Denmark.

Mikkel Damsgaard set the stage alight with an exquisite long-range opener, while Chelsea's Andreas Christensen also scored with a stunning strike.

Denmark finish second in the group.

The result also means Russia, who started the night in second place, finish bottom of the table and will not qualify.

Yussuf Poulsen had put Denmark 2-0 up, pouncing on a poor backpass from Roman Zobnin before Artem Dzyuba got one back for Russia from the penalty spot.

But Denmark confirmed their progression to the knockout stages when Christensen and Joakim Maehle made it 4-1 in a rampant three minutes.

Belgium secured wins in all three group games at a European Championship for the first time with a battling victory that left Finland's hopes of qualifying for the last 16 in the balance.

The world's number-one ranked side dominated proceedings in St Petersburg but only led through a late own goal from Finland keeper Lukas Hradecky, before Romelu Lukaku drilled a second.

Finland slipped from second in Group B to third by virtue of Denmark's 4-1 win over Russia in Copenhagen and they must now wait to see whether they qualify as one of the four best third-placed teams. The Danes go on to face Wales on Saturday in Amsterdam.

Belgium in 2nd gear tonight, coasted to victory.

Such a fantastic squad and so much strength in depth.

Wow, wow, just wow! What a turn-around, what a mind-blowing performance by Denmark. I still can´t believe what I witnessed yesternight. Tremendous team spirit, relentless application of pressure, their never-say-die attitude, determination, and innovative play ( there was one corner where all the Danish players stood in Russia´s goal - absolutely loved that!) have seen them through. Amazing, just amazing offensive play! A couple of those goals were simply world class to say the least. Amongst the moments of the match was when all their players stood in a huddle, waiting for the result of the Belgium-Finland match, following it from a mobile phone, and the moment that match too was over, they started to celebrate. Loved that moment!

Just one win and they qualify as the second team from their group. Who would´ve thought that? They had the sympathies of the entire world following what happened to Eriksen, and it´s all well-deserved in the end. Actually, I had paid so little attention to the other results in the group that I was pretty sure that Denmark stood no chance, but then, suddenly, they flashed the standings on the screen around the 70th minute or so, and I was a little taken aback. Eriksen should and must be proud of his team-mates. An incredible match, incredible emotions by the players and the crowd. Go, Denmark, go!

Wow, wow, just wow! What a turn-around, what a mind-blowing performance by Denmark. I still can´t believe what I witnessed yesternight. Tremendous team spirit, relentless application of pressure, their never-say-die attitude, determination, and innovative play ( there was one corner where all the Danish players stood in Russia´s goal - absolutely loved that!) have seen them through. Amazing, just amazing offensive play! A couple of those goals were simply world class to say the least. Amongst the moments of the match was when all their players stood in a huddle, waiting for the result of the Belgium-Finland match, following it from a mobile phone, and the moment that match too was over, they started to celebrate. Loved that moment!

Just one win and they qualify as the second team from their group. Who would´ve thought that? They had the sympathies of the entire world following what happened to Eriksen, and it´s all well-deserved in the end. Actually, I had paid so little attention to the other results in the group that I was pretty sure that Denmark stood no chance, but then, suddenly, they flashed the standings on the screen around the 70th minute or so, and I was a little taken aback. Eriksen should and must be proud of his team-mates. An incredible match, incredible emotions by the players and the crowd. Go, Denmark, go!

Yes, some amazing goals. Loved the one from Christensen

The crowd capacity at Wembley will be increased to more than 60,000 for the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020, says the UK government.

It means the stadium will be at 75% capacity for the games.

BBC

Good that England won today but i am not impressed by the way we played. It will be difficult against the first good team, that we’ll get to play against.

We need more fresh blood like that 18 years old Saka. Atleast he could run fast as compared to Harry Kane and Maguire. Also a few glimpses of good play by our goalie…

It was a pretty boring match between England and Czech Republic, especially the latter half of the game. Very few chances created and very little action witnessed.

That first goal by Spain was a foolish, absolutely foolish, own-goal by the Slovakian goal-keeper. Horrible stuff!

As for the other game. Very well fought by Poland, a very courageous effort in the end at winning the match, even if the scoreline might not suggest so. There was a good period of good 20 minutes where Poland didn't let Sweden even breathe for a second and looked very threatening to go past Sweden's initial two goals. Quite sad that they're out of the tournament. Sad.

Well played, Lewandowski!

Last edited:
Spain earned their first win at Euro 2020 in style as they thrashed Slovakia to progress as Group E runners-up and set up a last-16 tie with Croatia.

Luis Enrique's side head into the knockout stages on the back of their best attacking display of the tournament, proving far too good for a seriously below-par Slovakia.

Aymeric Laporte, Pablo Sarabia and Ferran Torres all scored after a bizarre own goal from Newcastle's Martin Dubravka broke the deadlock at La Cartuja Stadium in Seville.

The Slovakia goalkeeper, who earlier saved a penalty from Alvaro Morata, punched the ball into his own net after Sarabia's effort hit the crossbar and looped into the air.

Juraj Kucka inadvertently completed the rout for Spain, bundling the ball over his own line from close range.

Spain's meeting with Croatia will take place in Copenhagen on Monday at 17:00 BST, while Slovakia are out.

BBC

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
A big game coming up for Germany. One would expect them to win and go through. However, my main concern for this team is its defence. I hope that they address that particular aspect of the game and show some caution.

Such a soft penalty given by the referee for France.

Germany in trouble and heading out at the moment, 1-0 down to Hungary.

Portugal 2-1 down and heading out of the tournament at the moment.

Germany's defence is amongst the worst in the tournament. 2-1 down and crashing out of the tournament.

Hungary draw with Germany 2-2 but are out of the tournament. Good effort by them in the group of death.

England should be confident against Germany. Their defence is pathetic. England has to play Grealish and Sancho.

Last 16

WALES V DENMARK
ITALY V AUSTRIA
NETHERLANDS V CZECH REPUBLIC
BELGIUM V PORTUGAL
CROATIA V SOAIN
FRANCE V SWITZERLAND
ENGLAND V GERMANY
SWEDEN V UKRAINE

England should be confident against Germany. Their defence is pathetic. England has to play Grealish and Sancho.

England will have to play on the counter to win, Kane doesnt have the pace, and foden and sterling are more suited to possession play, sancho wouldnt play and grealish playing depends Mount

England will have to play on the counter to win, Kane doesnt have the pace, and foden and sterling are more suited to possession play, sancho wouldnt play and grealish playing depends Mount

Kane looks like a shadow on the pitch what has happened to him, age, fatigue, burnout or not good enough; he had some legs underneath him in the past

Hard to pick a favourite atm although Italy have been in good form

Who does everyone fancy between Eng/Germany and Portugal/Belgium ?

I’d love to see an England/Wales KO game

On paper England should sail through against Germany but they are the ultimate choke merchants, especially when it comes to tournament football.

Belgium and Portugal both have shaky defences so I’m expecting a high scoring game there, difficult to call.

Kane looks like a shadow on the pitch what has happened to him, age, fatigue, burnout or not good enough; he had some legs underneath him in the past

hes had his injury problems but he was never a pacy forward, he is someone who drops deep and dictates play, unfortunately the english setup doesnt suit him and his head may have turned with a transfer imminent.

On paper England should sail through against Germany but they are the ultimate choke merchants, especially when it comes to tournament football.

Belgium and Portugal both have shaky defences so I’m expecting a high scoring game there, difficult to call.
Which paper? Its a team of no name players.

Have you watched England play lately?

well tbh all big teams have played bad, england have the opportunity to prove a point now, if they beat the germans they have a pretty easy way to the finals.

Germany will face England in the last 16 of Euro 2020 after twice coming from behind to knock battling Hungary out of the tournament.

An outstanding header by Adam Szalai, who plays his club football in Germany for Mainz, had given Hungary a shock lead in Munich.

Andras Schafer thought he had won it for the Hungarians with a header - 90 seconds after Kai Havertz had equalised - before substitute Leon Goretzka made it 2-2 six minutes from the end.

It means Germany finish second in Group F and will now meet Gareth Southgate's England at Wembley in a hugely anticipated last-16 match next Tuesday (17:00 BST).

In an extraordinary match, Germany were minutes away from making an embarrassing early exit when midfielder Goretzka, on as a substitute, equalised in the 84th minute with a low finish from 16 yards to send Hungary out.

Few outside Hungary will have given Marco Rossi's side any chance of advancing after losing 3-0 to holders Portugal in their opening group game.

But they followed up a gutsy 1-1 draw against world champions France with a disciplined performance to give the home fans in the Allianz Arena a scare.

They opened the scoring after Roland Sallai's incredible long-range pass picked up his captain Szalai to beat Manuel Neuer with a diving header.

France finish top of Group F at the Euro 2020 with five points from three games followed by Germany, Portugal and Hungary
Chelsea's Havertz equalised with a header following an error by goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi but Germany fans were still celebrating when Schafer's brave header in front of Neuer, who had come rushing off his line, put Hungary back in front.

At that stage, Hungary were heading into the last 16 and Germany were set for an early exit before Bayern Munich's Goretzka came to the rescue to break Hungarian hearts - and set up a mouth-watering match against England.

That match will revive memories of when the two nations met in the semi-finals of Euro 96 - Germany winning a penalty shootout at Wembley to deny the Three Lions a place in the final.

Germany aren't a tournament winning calibre team anymore.

1. Their defense has to be worst among the top 5 football nations (if they still are considered one). No matter how good your offense is, it is the defense that wisn tournaments as proven countless times in the past. The way Germany let oppositions score on the break for fun, it is embarrassing to watch as a German football fan.

2. Lack of a pure striker continues continues to hurt. It's nice to say the team doesn't need a superstar if it has such quality depth but you need one when you need one. That you can Tiki-Taka your way to the net can only work for a special generation of talent. It was the unbecoming of Spanish football and it will elad German football to a downfall (it already has).

3. This team doesn't have that dog mentality in them like the 2008-2014 German team had. They are talented boys but i don't see a Schweinsteiger equal in this team or a Philip Lahm, Boateng. Kroos is the only stand out player in the team but he needs help.

Hope i am proven wrong in upcoming matches.

Germany actually find themselves in the relatively easier bracket as well till Final. Let's see. Sometimes you need a bit of luck.

Argentina fluked their way to 2014 final, maybe Germany can do it in Euros this year despite not being THAT team anymore.

Have you seen Germany play, barring that game against a shockingly bad Portugal defense they have been below average, England are yet to concede a goal. If you think England have no name players Germanys are hardly setting Europe alight.

O´ wow! What a match that was! It´s such a funny nature of the game that, one moment, Germany were entirely out of the tournament and, the next moment, they qualify as the second team in the group. The dream stays alive for Germany, but only just, just, mind you. This incredibly weak defence of the team keeps you right on your toes till the very last second. In a sense, Germany are perhaps the most exciting team to watch, but, as far as the tournament itself is concerned, they stand a very little chance against some of the top teams if they´re to continue playing like this. Must up their game. It was funny how Germany conceded a goal hardly a moment into having scored their equalizer. Well, now it sounds funny, but, at that moment, I felt furious and had actually lost hopes of a return in the match and hence the tournament. As I said, the dream stays alive, but only just.....

Feel sad for Hungary, though. I´ve always liked their fighting spirit, and they can be most proud of their team´s overall effort. Who would´ve thought that they would secure draws against France and Germany, the two recent world champions? Had they not been playing Germany, I would´ve been supporting them yesternight and felt really sad for them. A good team culture, and there´s much to admire about them.

A big game coming up for Germany. One would expect them to win and go through. However, my main concern for this team is its defence. I hope that they address that particular aspect of the game and show some caution.

I said it right here, just a short while before the game, and a 2-2 scoreline proves my point, fully.

Germany aren't a tournament winning calibre team anymore.

1. Their defense has to be worst among the top 5 football nations (if they still are considered one). No matter how good your offense is, it is the defense that wisn tournaments as proven countless times in the past. The way Germany let oppositions score on the break for fun, it is embarrassing to watch as a German football fan.

2. Lack of a pure striker continues continues to hurt. It's nice to say the team doesn't need a superstar if it has such quality depth but you need one when you need one. That you can Tiki-Taka your way to the net can only work for a special generation of talent. It was the unbecoming of Spanish football and it will elad German football to a downfall (it already has).

3. This team doesn't have that dog mentality in them like the 2008-2014 German team had. They are talented boys but i don't see a Schweinsteiger equal in this team or a Philip Lahm, Boateng. Kroos is the only stand out player in the team but he needs help.

Hope i am proven wrong in upcoming matches.

Germany actually find themselves in the relatively easier bracket as well till Final. Let's see. Sometimes you need a bit of luck.

Argentina fluked their way to 2014 final, maybe Germany can do it in Euros this year despite not being THAT team anymore.

Absolutely agree with point one and three.

Spain striker Alvaro Morata has told Spanish radio that he and his family have been abused during Euro 2020.

The 28-year-old Juventus player said he had received abuse on social media.

And he added that his wife and children were shouted at in the Spanish city of Seville.

"People have been saying 'I hope your children die'. I'd like people to put themselves in my shoes and think what it's like to get threats to my family," he told the Cadena Cope station.

"My wife and children have come to the stadium in Seville with Morata on the back of their shirts and people have been shouting at them.

"It's complicated. I understand people booing me for missing chances but there's a limit."

Morata, who is on loan at Juventus from Atletico Madrid, has missed a number of chances in the tournament, including a penalty in his side's 5-0 win over Slovakia on Wednesday.

He was booed by Spain fans in their pre-tournament friendly against Portugal and the pressure has grown after the scoreless draw with Sweden and the 1-1 draw against Poland, where he scored his side's goal but also missed a chance after strike partner Gerard Moreno's penalty hit the post.

Morata said he had a sleepless night after missing the penalty in the win against Slovakia, which set up a last-16 tie with Croatia on Monday, but does not regret taking the spot-kick.

He said that despite the abuse and criticism he has faced he feels a huge level of support from his team-mates, adding that former Spain goalkeeping Iker Casillas had called him to lift his spirits.

"I'm proud of the fact I picked up the ball [to take the penalty] after people booed me in the warm-up. A few years ago I would have been devastated but I'm really motivated. Whoever thinks the opposite doesn't know me," he said.

"It's hard to find a group like this especially in the difficult times. After a week like this I've been aware of how everyone looks at me but I look in their eyes and see they are supporting me."

BBC

Uefa is investigating "potentially discriminatory incidents" which took place during Germany's 2-2 draw with Hungary at Euro 2020.

It is believed the incidents relate to an anti-LGBT banner that was brought into Wednesday's game in Munich by Hungarian fans.

There were also reports of anti-LGBT chanting by some Hungarian supporters.

Last weekend, Uefa opened an investigation into similar incidents during Hungary's other group matches.

Germany needed a late goal from Leon Goretzka to salvage a draw which knocked out Hungary and set up Tuesday's meeting with England in the last 16.

The incidents came after Uefa refused a request from Munich's mayor for the stadium to be lit in rainbow colours for the game in protest at an anti-LGBT law in Hungary.

Munich mayor Dieter Reiter made the request in protest against a new law in Hungary that bans the sharing of any content seen as promoting homosexuality and gender change to under-18s.

Uefa says it denied the request because of the "political context" with Reiter describing Uefa's decision as "shameful".

Before kick-off on Wednesday, a protestor waving a rainbow flag invaded the pitch during the Hungarian national anthem and hoisted a rainbow flag into the air in front of Hungary's players before being tackled by stewards.

Germany fans wore rainbow flags, wigs and face masks to show their support for the LGBT community

Before their match against France in Budapest last weekend, Hungarian fans marched to the Puskas Arena displaying a banner calling on players to stop taking a knee to protest against racism.

BBC

Spain striker Alvaro Morata has told Spanish radio that he and his family have been abused during Euro 2020.

The 28-year-old Juventus player said he had received abuse on social media.

And he added that his wife and children were shouted at in the Spanish city of Seville.

"People have been saying 'I hope your children die'. I'd like people to put themselves in my shoes and think what it's like to get threats to my family," he told the Cadena Cope station.

"My wife and children have come to the stadium in Seville with Morata on the back of their shirts and people have been shouting at them.

"It's complicated. I understand people booing me for missing chances but there's a limit."

Morata, who is on loan at Juventus from Atletico Madrid, has missed a number of chances in the tournament, including a penalty in his side's 5-0 win over Slovakia on Wednesday.

He was booed by Spain fans in their pre-tournament friendly against Portugal and the pressure has grown after the scoreless draw with Sweden and the 1-1 draw against Poland, where he scored his side's goal but also missed a chance after strike partner Gerard Moreno's penalty hit the post.

Morata said he had a sleepless night after missing the penalty in the win against Slovakia, which set up a last-16 tie with Croatia on Monday, but does not regret taking the spot-kick.

He said that despite the abuse and criticism he has faced he feels a huge level of support from his team-mates, adding that former Spain goalkeeping Iker Casillas had called him to lift his spirits.

"I'm proud of the fact I picked up the ball [to take the penalty] after people booed me in the warm-up. A few years ago I would have been devastated but I'm really motivated. Whoever thinks the opposite doesn't know me," he said.

"It's hard to find a group like this especially in the difficult times. After a week like this I've been aware of how everyone looks at me but I look in their eyes and see they are supporting me."

BBC

It was this political background which made the match against Hungary a very tense affair. Manuel Neuer, our goal-keeper, also wore a rainbow and had, I think, also said something about the issue prior to the match; and this is why he was specially targeted by the Hungary supporters in the stadium after they scored their first goal. A lot of it could´ve been avoided, if I´m honest here, by keeping this political issue away from sports.

Denmark leading Wales 1-0 at half-time.

Wales all over the place and lucky to be just 1-0 down.

Wales is a standard Championship team and the fact that they won 2-0 against Turkey shows how bad Turkey is

2-0 now to Denmark.

Schoolboy defending from Wales.

Turkey must be kicking themselves after their performance against Wales.

Back