The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

As requested, I have reopened this thread because the match is tomorrow.

Please behave. Derogatory/Offensive/Insulting comments of any kind (directed towards another poster or the player) will not be tolerated.

Stern test coming up for team Pakistan, as well as Misbah ul Haq himself. Would be a good tactical battle against Clarky.

Noted a few points down whilst watching the game. Didn't impress me at all Misbah today both with captaincy & with the bat. With the bat he was horrible and with the captaincy, he was decent at times but also made some stupid decision e.g. Tanvir bowling ahead of Ajmal.

A few more points I noted were:

After 2.3 overs there was only one slip to David Warner. Surely wickets are the only way to win the game. The next ball a ball went flying through the slips for a boundary.

Clarke was on 2 and after 5.1 overs there was an easy single allowed to Clarke. This obviously allowed him to get set. He cashed in later.

Hafeez had just bowled a brilliant spell to Wade. Bowled around 8-9 dot balls and then the pressure was released with an easy single down to long off. Why would you have a long off when the batsman was struggling as much? Luckily he never hurt us too bad.

An easy single allowed to a new Hussey after 12 overs. A long on in place when we needed to apply pressure.

^ lol its easy to pin point such things watching on the tv. On the field its totally different scenario. You cant be perfect in every aspect of the game.
His captaincy was quite good last night.

Noted a few points down whilst watching the game. Didn't impress me at all Misbah today both with captaincy & with the bat. With the bat he was horrible and with the captaincy, he was decent at times but also made some stupid decision e.g. Tanvir bowling ahead of Ajmal.

After 2.3 overs there was only one slip to David Warner. Surely wickets are the only way to win the game. The next ball a ball went flying through the slips for a boundary.

Clarke was on 2 and after 5.1 overs there was an easy single allowed to Clarke. This obviously allowed him to get set. He cashed in later.

Hafeez had just bowled a brilliant spell to Wade. Bowled around 8-9 dot balls and then the pressure was released with an easy single down to long off. Why would you have a long off when the batsman was struggling as much? Luckily he never hurt us too bad.

An easy single allowed to a new Hussey after 12 overs. A long on in place when we needed to apply pressure.

Batted poorly for sure but his captaincy was quite good. Used his spinners intelligently and made quick bowling changes. Misbah and Whatmore do need to figure out the batting order and get their selections right. Junaid should have played today.

Next time you make these notes, post them during the game and also post which fielder you would like to move to that position.

He did not do much wrong in captaincy ..though he did not do any good while batting

not did much wrong?first the batting order is flawed!! he knows Kamran is very good when opens the inning and lately Hafeez has zero confidence facing the new ball so doesn't make sense him still opening while Kami at 7...second team selection was poor why did he left Junaid out?> who's has had two 5 wicket hauls on flat roads against a good Sri Lankan batting side..

Misbah says the exact same thing as I said yesterday about mistakes:

".. We committed mistakes, mistakes we are repeating for the last two three series but if we continue to do that then we can't win matches."

At least he acknowledges it... it remains to be seen whether he'll do anything about it though.

Also the batting order. Kami is smashing them whilst opening and Hafeez is doing horribly. Swap them obviously.

I'd go Nasir, Azhar, Kamran.

He is blaming lower batting order when Hafeez has scored 4, Azhar Ali 5 and himself a mighty 26 from 48 balls...

The loses are getting to the head of captain MBA!

What a pathetic captain. The guys blaming the lower order for not contributing when his knock probably was the worst in the game. He made 26 from 48. A 20 from 25 would have been better.

Get rid of this useless ODI cricketer. He's damaging our cricket so much.

He is blaming lower batting order when Hafeez has scored 4, Azhar Ali 5 and himself a mighty 26 from 48 balls...

The loses are getting to the head of captain MBA!

What a pathetic captain. The guys blaming the lower order for not contributing when his knock probably was the worst in the game. He made 26 from 48. A 20 from 25 would have been better.

Get rid of this useless ODI cricketer. He's damaging our cricket so much.

We were bowled out in around 42 overs. His SR was not the issue but that slog was not needed.

Kamran Akmal and Afridi had a platform set-up for them and they did absolutely nothing. This is the second time in five games that Afridi has proved that his all-rounder days are over and is only in the team as a bowler.

We were bowled out in around 42 overs. His SR was not the issue but that slog was not needed.

Kamran Akmal and Afridi had a platform set-up for them and they did absolutely nothing. This is the second time in five games that Afridi has proved that his all-rounder days are over and is only in the team as a bowler.

How was the platform set for Afridi? He came in at 174-6. That's hardly a good platform.

How was the platform set for Afridi? He came in at 174-6. That's hardly a good platform.

Would 230 have been a good score? If yes, then all that Afridi had to do was score a 20 and support Akmal. Instead he failed in the worst way possible. Kamran flopped more than him but he was making a comeback.

Pathetic field setting! Releasing all the pressure by giving overs to Azhar :facepalm:

I really fail to understand how Misbah's brain works. When he should have continued to apply pressure on fall of 2 quick wickets he takes wicket taking bowlers off and hand the ball to Azhar and Sohail - Great captaincy!"

Leaked 30 runs in 6 overs @ above 6.00 RR Aussies on route for recovery in 2nd ODI
106/4 in 27 to 126/4 in 31 over

Sohail Tanvir to MEK Hussey, 1 run, stays beside the line and chops him down to third man

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, 3 runs, 67.4 mph, Tanvir's not doing himself any favours by giving width like this, Bailey cuts but doesn't time it as well, Ajmal has a bit of work to do from third man and he does well to slide near the rope

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, no run, 79.8 mph, simolar delivery, he goes back and punches it to the off side

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, no run, 78.3 mph, much better, bowls it straighter and Bailey could only push it to mid-off

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, no run, 78.5 mph, gets across and pushes it down to mid-off

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, FOUR, 80.5 mph, and now a boundary, this was short and enough width on it for Bailey to stay back and slice it wide of point, third man had no chance

End of over 30 (7 runs) Australia 118/4 (RR: 3.93) MEK Hussey 23* (29b 1x6) Azhar Ali 2-0-14-0
GJ Bailey 18* (21b) Sohail Tanvir 5-0-24-0

Azhar Ali to MEK Hussey, no run, 52.4 mph, pitches it up and he drives to cover

Azhar Ali to Bailey, 1 run, 52.3 mph, stays back and drills it down the ground to long-on

Azhar Ali to Bailey, no run, 52.4 mph, straightens a touch and he shoulders arms

Azhar Ali to Bailey, 2 runs, 53.2 mph, the singles and twos are flowing, this time he gets back and slices it behind square on the off side

Azhar Ali to Bailey, 2 runs, 52.8 mph, too flat and short again, Bailey played a front foot pull to deep square leg

Azhar Ali to Bailey, 2 runs, 49.7 mph, bowls that a bit too short, he rocks back and chops it with the turn to deep cover

End of over 29 (6 runs) Australia 111/4 (RR: 3.82) GJ Bailey 11* (16b) Sohail Tanvir 5-0-24-0
MEK Hussey 23* (28b 1x6) Azhar Ali 1-0-7-0

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, 1 run, 78.3 mph, a touch too wide and driven down to sweeper cover

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, no run, 79.4 mph, chopped towards point and a fine diving stop by Umar Akmal

Sohail Tanvir to MEK Hussey, 3 runs, 78.5 mph, nearly five overthrows! He drops it in front of point and sets off, there was a bit of hesitation but Bailey was home, the throw was wide and it nearly carried to the point boundary

Sohail Tanvir to MEK Hussey, no run, 79.2 mph, bowls a tighter line this time, cramps him for room and he taps it back to the bowler

Sohail Tanvir to Bailey, 1 run, 77.8 mph, too short and wide and easily slapped down to sweeper cover

Sohail Tanvir to MEK Hussey, 1 run, 77.4 mph, another easy single taken, Hussey drops it just wide of point and takes off

End of over 28 (7 runs) Australia 105/4 (RR: 3.75) GJ Bailey 9* (13b) Azhar Ali 1-0-7-0
MEK Hussey 19* (25b 1x6) Mohammad Hafeez 8-0-24-1

Azhar Ali to Bailey, no run, 50.0 mph, drilled back to the bowler and he dives and stops it, crowd thought that was a catch

Azhar Ali to MEK Hussey, 1 run, 51.2 mph, drops it softly to the off side and sets off

Azhar Ali to Bailey, 1 run, gives it a lot of air and he drives a low full toss to long-off

Azhar Ali to Bailey, 2 runs, 49.9 mph, bowls it flatter and he stays back and whips it down to deep square leg

Azhar Ali to MEK Hussey, 1 run, 49.8 mph, steers it wide of point and sets off for a quick single

Azhar Ali to MEK Hussey, 2 runs, 48.6 mph, friendly half volley outside off and driven wide of cover, wide long-off runs across and mops up

Azhar Ali to bowl

Last edited:
why bowl at azhar and tanvir at this juncture and get the new batsmen set? Bizarre!

When will Misbah Learn ?? Turned match Winning to Loosing position !

When will Misbah Learn ?? Turned match Winning to Loosing position !

Aussies were 86/4 in 23rd over, and he let healthy 66 runs partnership over 6 runs per over by removing Hafeez & Ajmal from attack.

Introduction of Azhar Ali, tanveer at time when should have applied maxium pressure eased Aussies and they took full advantage of it since then they not only counter attacked but really lauched full offense in 40th over, as match is heading for finish 250 + target is now on cards, now Hafeez , Rehman, and Ajmal are no longer in attacking position rather they are trying to go defensive. I don't see Pakistan wining this match as pitch has difficult to bat on. Great tactics by Mishbah once again

On side note I see roaster released on cricinfo, looks like Kami, and Hafeez will open innings and Nasir will come in 1 down, another blunder by Paksitan if this is TRUE

If I was in a room with Misbah, Osama Bin Laden, and Hitler and had a gun with two bullets, I would shoot Misbah twice.

Misbah does not have the skills nor brain to captain the ODI team.. Should be stripped off it immediately.

What a p1ss poor defensive captain this Misbah is. I wonder if he's a man looking at how he doesn't have an ounce of aggression. He's always worried about saving Ajmal for the 50th over when Ajmal could have finished the game much earlier.

so defensive......first his batting was :facepalm: why not continue with ajmal???
having said that afridi is pathetic. he is a cancer to our ODI cricket as much as misbah

Oh guys plz stop whining. We persisted with a guy who was singlehandedly responsible for Mohali, you gave him the captaincy. The subsequent Mohalis and his inborn attitude was going to reak into the team.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Thats how Lazy Misbah is....He wants the win to come to him.

LOL at Amjad_ali over the top reaction.

Some defensive decisions by Misbah have clearly made easier for Australia though.

I'm not usually against Misbah, but it was really terrible today.

Is Mibah ready to take the blame just as he would've taken credit for series victory

What we say now?
If the series had been won, all credit would have been gone to Misbah's captaincy for sailing the ship out of testing waters after Pak cricket had hit the rock bottom. But now since we lost the series, is Misbah going to be brave enough to take the blame for poor captaincy OR we will start pointing out the poor performance of individual players BUT Misbah?

Whose this Mibah? :p
Guess you Fused a bulb there..

But yeah lets see what he has to say at the presentation ceremony.

Ajmal's decision of not refereeing has also cost a lot. LOL DRS lovers will have a review left at the end! Correct decisions are not made even with DRS is still being continued.

no way will i blame misbah...

blame ass**** afridi, umar akmal and kamran akmal,.

He should be sacked from the ODI team now, just as he was sacked from the T20.

Any captain who leaves his most and only lethal weapon when the chase is walk in the park has let down his team. Would Imran Khan have left Saeed Ajmal with 4 overs with only 50 odd to chase down with wickets in hand? No, he would have bought him as soon as a wicket fell to put pressure on the opposition and take out the new batsmen. Add his very defensive field as soon as the power plays are over, his defensive mindset cannot work with a Pak team which is historically uses attack to win.

How he holds a spot in the ODI team I will never know let alone being the captain.

You refuse to take action after Mohali you pay the price in the long run. Misbah cannot hide.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Of course pointing out the lack of performance by certain individuals will be highlighted, though I think this series does help us (read PCB) see (once again) that we do not need Misbah in the limited overs format of the game.

He should be asked to step down, just as he was asked with the T20 captaincy.

Hafeez will be the immediate solution, but unless he decides to bat in the middle order, I don't think his batting consistency will improve.

no way will i blame misbah...

blame ass**** afridi, umar akmal and kamran akmal,.

Exactly.

And you would have given the entire credit of victory to Misbah's captaincy if Afridi, Umar Akmal and Kamran Akmal had scored half centuries each and Ajmal would have taken 9 wickets.

And that W/L keeps getting worse.

Awful innings, awful captaincy, and awful series for Misbah-ul-Haq.

He needs to go, preferably before India series.

It does not matter if he is good or bad..But the fact is he is not going to be there for World cup...

Misbah's field placements... the No1 cause of our ODI losses

I'm amazed at how no one anywhere... be it here on PP...our coaching staff.. players on the field.. management... NO ONE raises this point as strongly as it should be.

Under Misbahs captanicy WE CANNOT win an ODI game unless the opposition plays dumb. Period.

He simply does not know how to pressure on the other team.. they were 30/5 and yet there were 4 fielders inside the circle.. WHAT kind of pathetic defensive dumb captaincy is this and WHAT kind of coaching staff do they have who cannot point out to him this SIMPLE yet most detrimental blunder ??

People here can say all things such as why this batsman failed or this bowler bowled badly or the drop catches(which is another undermined reason).. but ultimately once our bowlers bowl magical deliveries and peg back the opposition consideralby... Misbahs' pathetic field placements come to the fore and take out the bite from our attack simply because he allow free singles and twos hoping for something to happen.

Then in the end oppostion has enough overs and batsmen to hit out in the death overs... and YET AGAIN we start blaming the bowlers for not bowling good in the final overs.. wheras the innings should have been allowed to come to death overs.

Apart from YK...all recent captains from Malik to Yousuf to Afridi to Hafeez to Misbah.... ALL can't understand this simple mistake and learn from it.
FOR GODs' SAKE....if Saj bhai or someone can make the decision makers to start taking this point seriously and implement some changes until the next game..

I'm amazed at how no one anywhere... be it here on PP...our coaching staff.. players on the field.. management... NO ONE raises this point as strongly as it should be.

Under Misbahs captanicy WE CANNOT win an ODI game unless the opposition plays dumb. Period.

He simply does not know how to pressure on the other team.. they were 30/5 and yet there were 4 fielders inside the circle.. WHAT kind of pathetic defensive dumb captaincy is this and WHAT kind of coaching staff do they have who cannot point out to him this SIMPLE yet most detrimental blunder ??

People here can say all things such as why this batsman failed or this bowler bowled badly or the drop catches(which is another undermined reason).. but ultimately once our bowlers bowl magical deliveries and peg back the opposition considerably... Misbahs' pathetic field placements come to the fore and take out the bite from our attack simply because he allow free singles and twos hoping for something to happen.
Y
Then in the end oppostion has enough overs and batsmen to hit out in the death overs... and YET AGAIN we start blaming the bowlers for not bowling good in the final overs.. wheras the innings should have been allowed to come to death overs.

Apart from YK...all recent captains from Malik to Yousuf to Afridi to Hafeez to Misbah.... ALL can't understand this simple mistake and learn from it.
FOR GODs' SAKE....if Saj bhai or someone can make the decision makers to start taking this point seriously and implement some changes until the next game..

Nailed it.
Why not close fielders and a slip to put pressure? Why spread out the field and go into your tutle shell of defense ?? Why so many easy singles when spinners were introduced???

forget his field placing..junaid khan takes 4 wickets..yet only bowls 9 overs..

smart captain would have given the over irfan got hit for 21 to junaid..allowing junaid to finish

I hope you are familiar with new regulations... Can't do much with 4 fielders :)

The only thing you could blame him for is dropping dhoni on 16

I hope you are familiar with new regulations... Can't do much with 4 fielders :)

Misbah is worse captain.Its simple as that.Seems to be all at sea and under some pressure maybe fear of loosing captaincy as hafeez has started to perform under pressure as captain.
The quicker we can get rid of misbah the best it will be for pak.
His field placing were strange as bowlers like irfan needs some advice but misbah had no idea how to help him when dhoni was murdering him.

Misbah is worse captain.Its simple as that.Seems to be all at sea and under some pressure maybe fear of loosing captaincy as hafeez has started to perform under pressure as captain.
The quicker we can get rid of misbah the best it will be for pak.
His field placing were strange as bowlers like irfan needs some advice but misbah had no idea how to help him when dhoni was murdering him.

can't believe the way he set the field against Ashwin..the guy was getting easy singles ever since he came to bat.

Misbah's captaincy has been very poor today.

NOT just today.... in every LOI he has captained.. any LOI we have won under him is either due to one or two batting or bowling performances..or the opposition playing dumb cricket.

the 4 fielder restriction outside the 30-yard circle has infact helped the teams cause since Misbah HAD to put one more fielder inside the circle... must have been hard for him considering his loyalty towards defensive frame of mind.

ughhhhhhh....... there was no need to merge this thread... im not making a GENERAL random point about his captaincy. I want this undermined and under-rated BLUNDER to be noted atleast by someone who can take it to the PCB and MAKE Misbah to change this midset QUICKLY

Why was our most exprienced pace bowler not bowling the final overs?

I say Misbah was looking after his own and leaving the Irfan to the mercy of the current most destructive ODI batsman. No word of advise was given to poor Irfan, not to mention the dropped catch may have cost us the match.
Time to raise a popular Pakistani slogan, ' go Misbah go'!!

Last edited:
:)))) haters gon hate. Some poor decisions but reality is that we got bharat on the ropes at home. Please go and join an indian forum and be negative about Pakistan there.

Misbah's Captaincy in the ODIs Against India

I am not too happy with Misbah's captaincy today. He dropped an easy catch plus he was too defensive. I think either he was in pressure as Pak played really well in Hafeez's captaincy or he was just blank as he played LOI after 2 and a half months gap..

I rate him 5 out of 10..

I fully support him in Tests but LOI cricket is not his cup of tea. He should realize it by now

3 - One word sums up his approach, defensive. He has no killer instinct, it is time Hafeez got the promotion.

what has the dropped catch got to do with captaincy?

Though we dont have anyone to replace him.

Was pretty defensive but Hafeez seems reluctant to bowl when he is captainn

nothing wrong with the captaincy except for the miscalculation of Junaid's quota.

We won the game because of his captaincy. Dropping Umar Akmal for YK was a stroke of genius. Bowling Junaid and Irfan, instead of relying on the usuals spinners, made the difference.

No, we almost lost the game thanks to him. If he doesnt perform with the bat in this series then he should be dropped even if Pak win the series.

What game were you watching that we almost lost?

Back