The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

He is hanging by the thread. i would give it 6. He was attacking at the start but later on he didn't have an answer for the partnership.

His captaincy was really defensive, really bad stuff from misbah. The way he handled the bowlers it was shambolic.

I will give him a 4

Australia, South Africa would never have allowed India to recover to 227 from 29/5. The fact Junaid didnt complete his quota is criminal. He will never improve and have no idea why he is being persisted with in the team at 38 years old.

Don't care about rating. I care about results. We won. Let's move on to the next OD.

hollow

we won the game, thats what matters

hollow

nothing wrong with the captaincy except for the miscalculation of Junaid's quota.

hollow

all hollow thinking which is based on what was the result.

No "good" captain, not "great" ......but no good captain would have allowed to let a team score 226 after being 29/5..
His(and Yousufs' and Afridis' and Maliks' , Hafeezs') field placements will ALWAYS allow the opposition to come back in to the game because they dont put pressure on the batsmen when they are down and out instead let them settle down and score freely.

A MASSIVE factor in our recent ODI losses. Something which is immensly under-discussed and under-rated by everyone.. from fans to coaching staff.

hollow

hollow

hollow

No "good" captain, not "great" ......but no good captain would have allowed to let a team score 226 after being 29/5..
His(and Yousufs' and Afridis' and Maliks' , Hafeezs') field placements will ALWAYS allow the opposition to come back in to the game because they dont put pressure on the batsmen when they are down and out instead let them settle down and score freely.

A MASSIVE factor in our recent ODI losses. Something which is immensly under-discussed and under-rated by everyone.. from fans to coaching staff.

Excellent post! Sums up everything I've always felt.

4/10 too defensive with ajmal, should have kept irfan and junaid on for longer, and should have bowled gul at the end.

hollow

hollow

hollow

You're whole post is hollow.

I ind it absolutely pathetic who threads discussing captaincy of a player after just the first game of a series. Questioning the captaincy of a bloke who took us out of the dark hole our cricket had descended into.

One word 'perspective'. Try and keep one if you can

I ind it absolutely pathetic who threads discussing captaincy of a player after just the first game of a series. Questioning the captaincy of a bloke who took us out of the dark hole our cricket had descended into.

1+:zaka

Too much credit is being given to Misbah alone for so called helping us out of the dark hole, dont forget Afridi was the ODI captain, Waqar the coach, the manager and other PCB officials. And how long will he live of the lifting of the dark hole as a skipper and player. His ODI captaincy has been dreadful for the last year and i see the same pattern, mistakes being repeated in his captaincy from the English Whitewash, Sri Lanka tour defeat, Australia defeat and in today's game.

If a 38 year old MBA qualified Pak captain cannot learn from his mistakes, he is never going to learn. His captaincy in these series losses were dreadful and we have a tough tour of South Africa coming up.

Too much credit is being given to Misbah alone for so called helping us out of the dark hole, dont forget Afridi was the ODI captain, Waqar the coach, the manager and other PCB officials. And how long will he live of the lifting of the dark hole as a skipper and player. His ODI captaincy has been dreadful for the last year and i see the same pattern, mistakes being repeated in his captaincy from the English Whitewash, Sri Lanka tour defeat, Australia defeat and in today's game.

If a 38 year old MBA qualified Pak captain cannot learn from his mistakes, he is never going to learn. His captaincy in these series losses were dreadful and we have a tough tour of South Africa coming up.

Savak, with all due respects, I can't argue with someone like you. You have in the past shown your utmost hatred for Misbah and your judgment is completely clouded.

The day you open your mind and start thinking for yourself will be the day I engage with you in a debate.

dont be so obsessed with the word "hollow" and read my post properly again if you can. thanks

Not sure what to give him, but I'm not too pleased with his captaincy. Allowed India back into the game from being 29/5 to 227/6. Bowled the fast bowlers all together and then there was a time when only spinners were bowling. He should've made a fast bowler and a spinner operate together.

About his decision to give the death overs to Irfan I fully support it as that is the best way for your player to learn - in the thick of it all! I don't know if that really was his reasoning but I would have done the same. Short term it looked to backfire but trust me it will benefit him in the long term.

Australia, South Africa would never have allowed India to recover to 227 from 29/5. The fact Junaid didnt complete his quota is criminal. He will never improve and have no idea why he is being persisted with in the team at 38 years old.

i completely agree and i have the same thoughts...!

pray tell what he did wrong?

kept attacking fields for the majority of the game and for every bowler...Junaid had bloody 3 slips at one stage.

our recent ODI losses barring the one to India in the Asia Cup have been down to one reason alone - inability of the batsmen to bat 50 overs.

God forbid the other team - WC Champions btw - actually managed to compete, they should have just rolled over and died when they were 5 down.

Serious problems in Field placing, bowler handling and his own batting that consumed all the difference between deliveries and runs. 3/10..His patterns are as solid as of Afridi's one and he wont replace them.

You guys have turned into little whiners. What different could have he done?
He had three slips in the beginning and two slips for all the fast bowlers till 17th over? Then when spinners came in he had slips for them as well.
Now coming to defensive field setting, the new rule doesn't allow the captain to be defensive. He cannot have more than 4 fielders outside the circle anytime.. so there goes your theory of defensive field setting out of the window.
What could have he done if other bowlers couldn't make a breakthrough? He tried everything but Dhoni and Raina played very sensibly.
Why for once can you appreciate your opponents as well? Dhoni played innings of his life. Not everyday you see someone playing innings like that.

Savak, with all due respects, I can't argue with someone like you. You have in the past shown your utmost hatred for Misbah and your judgment is completely clouded.

The day you open your mind and start thinking for yourself will be the day I engage with you in a debate.

A similar case could be made for posters like you constantly showing utmost love, regard for Misbah in the past and present even when undeserved and when all the criticism coming his way has been thoroughly justified.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

We won the game because of his captaincy. Dropping Umar Akmal for YK was a stroke of genius. Bowling Junaid and Irfan, instead of relying on the usuals spinners, made the difference.

he dropped umar for malik, get your facts right

kept attacking fields for the majority of the game and for every bowler...Junaid had bloody 3 slips at one stage.

our recent ODI losses barring the one to India in the Asia Cup have been down to one reason alone - inability of the batsmen to bat 50 overs.

God forbid the other team - WC Champions btw - actually managed to compete, they should have just rolled over and died when they were 5 down.

1. took of his seamers off too quickly - only four overs from Irfan upfront - especially when you consider that Raina has just come in.

2. He brings Gul on - who bowls rubbish and releases pressure by allowing scoring opportunities.

3. He opens the field in the non-powerplay overs when there was no need to do so. India was 5 down, they would not risk big shots at that stage, their only scoring would be via singles and doubles - yet he allowed them to do so.

4. His fielding was rubbish - he dropped a catch and allowed easy singles - he is too lazy to dive.

5. He did not use Gul and Junaid properly in the last 10 overs. It is criminal to read that both Junaid and Gul did not complete their quota.

7. He tried his best to mount pressure on Jamshed through his pathetic batting display. He played out a bloody maiden in the batting powerplays.

8. His field placements were rubbish

that's the dumbest logic I have heard in my life, you always need to improve in areas, where you are struggling

Of course.

Is however having a winning result not vindication for some of the decisions? Some of the moves he carried out were pretty aggressive and risky but didnt go well today. Like giving Irfan death overs. There is a long thread on PP where people complain about Umar Gul being awful but those same people now want Umar Gul bowling in death.

Last edited:
1. took of his seamers off too quickly - only four overs from Irfan upfront - especially when you consider that Raina has just come in.

2. He brings Gul on - who bowls rubbish and releases pressure by allowing scoring opportunities.

3. He opens the field in the non-powerplay overs when there was no need to do so. India was 5 down, they would not risk big shots at that stage, their only scoring would be via singles and doubles - yet he allowed them to do so.

4. His fielding was rubbish - he dropped a catch and allowed easy singles - he is too lazy to dive.

5. He did not use Gul and Junaid properly in the last 10 overs. It is criminal to read that both Junaid and Gul did not complete their quota.

7. He tried his best to mount pressure on Jamshed through his pathetic batting display. He played out a bloody maiden in the batting powerplays.

Bolded points are not related to captaincy. Please read thread title.

These type of matches are not rare. Many times people have come back from a poor start to post a good total - even against 'great' captains.

bringing Gul on early was his call.

so you pretty much agree with the rest then.

No not really but just thought I'd point out you were getting carried away.

Gul is there to bowl, not stand around. If he can't take a tail enders wicket in swinging conditions then we shouldn't think of him as our premier fast bowler.

Last edited:

1 - Irfan does not have the stamina to give you more than that in one spell, especially in humid conditions.

2 - OMG he used one of his main pacers on a helpful wicket! Can't be Gul's fault that he bowled poorly can it!

3 - New rules do not allow you to open up the field or score heavily, as Hafeez's figures clearly show. They were 100-odd even in the 35th over.

4 - What does that have to do with captaincy?

5 - Gul was struggling big time and indicated to Misbah that he could not bowl any more. Junaid not getting his full quota is a mistake that I have already pointed out.

6 - That is his usual batting approach, and again has nothing to do with captaincy. Conserving wickets was always the main priority at that stage, unfortunately got foxed by an Ishant super slower one.

These type of matches are not rare. Many times people have come back from a poor start to post a good total - even against 'great' captains.

you can tell the difference if teams come back from poor start because they play well... or teams come back from a poor start because of the opposing captains' defensive mindset(which can be anything from poor defensive field placements or not letting your best bowlers bowl their full overs)

bhai... im not against him as a captain as some other people here are..
my only problem with him is his defensive mindset.. which as i have been saying, was the same with Malik, Yousuf , Afridi and Hafeez.

The defensive mindset category biggest harm is the field placements especially when the opposition is found down and out.

You remember under Yousufs captaincy against Aus in 09 in the 1st ODI.. they were allowed to chase 275 odd target ? Why was that ?
Because of their brilliant batting or because Yousuf spread the field as soon as 15 overs were done ?.

You remember us losing against India in the asia cup? why was that ? because Kohli batted brilliantly ? yes he did.. but also because there was no pressure put on their batsmen since there was a single available on either side of the wicket on every single ball.

THIS is what im trying to point out... HORRIBLE field placements are under-rated in Pakistan.. just like drop catches are.
Yes Misbah did kept a slip there...very good... he did attack with the new ball by setting a good field... thats all fine. But there is something wrong AFTER all this which needs to be pointed out.

When the set target is huge or when the opposition is reeling with something like 30/5 you wont find Aus/ SA / ENG /NZ keeping just 4 fielders inside the circle as soon as the field restrictions are off.

So try to realize this blunder and someone here try to instill into Misbahs head this minor looking but MAJOR mistake.

you can tell the difference if teams come back from poor start because they play well... or teams come back from a poor start because of the opposing captains' defensive mindset(which can be anything from poor defensive field placements or not letting your best bowlers bowl their full overs)

Exactly, when a team is 29/5 they must be crushed for under 150

People here may think we are being unfairly harsh on Misbah but you have to consider that India are not the benchmark. We can easily challenge India at their home so we must look above.

Playing England and South Africa and to win a captain must be razor sharp and excellent in everything they do.

Hafeez has the potential, and with our pool of talent and good management (now) we can offer a genuine threat to those teams I mentioned.

When the match is won the little things become irrelevant.

Just as an aside, this is a lazy attempt at apologetics and I strongly disagree with the point. It can also be extrapolated into life as well as sport.

If you ignore the little problems which should be honestly addressed, then you will fail to better yourself where others do, and on another day things will go very wrong.

It was a poor show from Misbah yesterday. Pakistan won in spite of him and not because of him.

Misbah's decision to bat first was the only think he did right......He was very lucky to win the toss....And that is the reason that despite making many mistakes Pakistan finished with a win....

His decision of retaining Malik and Irfan is quite poor to me....

Just as an aside, this is a lazy attempt at apologetics and I strongly disagree with the point. It can also be extrapolated into life as well as sport.

If you ignore the little problems which should be honestly addressed, then you will fail to better yourself where others do, and on another day things will go very wrong.

It was a poor show from Misbah yesterday. Pakistan won in spite of him and not because of him.

If we assume that these tactics were planned and thought out then the fact that they resulted in a win vindicates him somewhat.

Did he make mistakes - yes of course but some excellent decisions were made too and some risky ones that didnt come off.

I dont understand the 'defensive' field setting thing. Only 4 players are allowed outside the circle and India were crawling along for ages until Dhoni - who is in your opinion is the finest ODI batsman cut loose and went for it.

Leadership is more than tactics. Its coming out an publicly backing an under performing player. Its giving a rookie the chance to shine by bowling him at the death. Its about gelling the team and creating good morale. This has all been done by Misbah.

My post wasn't saying brush everything under the carpet, every inch of the game should be analysed by the support staff and lessons should be learned. My post was to do with the types of attitudes that came across by posters who have an imaginary idea of what aggressive captaincy is and complained with incredible vigour even though Pakistan won the match. Let it go guys. Enjoy the win.

Last edited:
What's with all the Misbah bashing?

Surprised to see so many people bashing Misbah and blaming him to be the main factor in our recent ODI losses. People seem to have a problem with both his batting & captaincy in ODIs.

As far as batting is concerned, he is our highest run scorer in ODIs this year with 493 runs at an average of 37.92. His career avg. is 42 and his S/R is in the 74.10 which is not bad by any means. He plays the role of an anchor which is needed immensely for this Pakistan team given its tendency to collapse.

As far as his captaincy is concerned, he has led Pakistan in 32 games, won 20 and lost 11 with a win percentage of 64.51% and W/L of 1.81. After Inzamam ul Haq's tenure as captain, he has the second highest win percentage and W/L by a Pakistani captain (highest is Shoaib Malik with 66.66 and W/L of 2.00). In comparison Afridi's win percentage was 54.54 with a W/L of 1.20 and Younis Khan's win percentage was 38.09 at W/L of 0.60. I didn't see any captain bashing threads when these guys were captains so why are these bashing threads popping up now?

Some people may still argue that he has not won us as many ODI SERIES as they would have liked, so lets compare Pakistan's performances in ODI series and tournaments with captains after Inzi:

Shoaib Malik:

Won ODI series vs SriLanka 2-1 (neutral)
Lost ODI series vs South Africa 3-2 (home)
Lost ODI series vs India 3-2 (away)
Won ODI series vs Zimbabwe 5-0 (home)
Won ODI series vs Bangladesh 5-0 (home)
Won Triangular cup involving Pak, Ban, Ind
Failed to reach final of Asia Cup
Won ODI series vs West Indies 3-0 (neutral)
Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 2-1 (home)

Younis Khan:

Lost ODI series vs Australia 3-2 (neutral)
Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 3-2 (away)
Reached Semifinal of Champions Trophy
Lost ODI series vs New Zealand 3-2 (neutral)

Mohammad Yousuf

Lost ODI series to Australia 4-0 (away)
(Afridi was captain in 5th match)

Shahid Afridi

Failed to reach final of Asia cup
Lost ODI series vs England 3-2 (away)
Lost ODI series vs South Africa 3-2 (neutral)
Won ODI series vs New Zealand 3-2 (away)
Eliminated in semifinal of CWC 2011
Won ODI series vs West Indies 3-2 (away)

Misbah ul Haq:

Won ODI series vs Ireland 2-0 (away)
Won ODI series vs Zimbabwe 3-0 (away)
Won ODI series vs SriLanka 4-1 (neutral)
Won ODI series vs Bangladesh 3-0 (away)
Won ODI vs Afghanistan (neutral)
Lost ODI series vs England 4-0 (neutral)
Won the Asia Cup
Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 3-1 (away)
Lost ODI series vs Australia 2-1 (neutral)

Conclusion: It is not understandable why Pakistani fans hate Misbah so much. He has a fantastic record as ODI captain and is doing a fine job. There are people who think he uses 'defensive tactics' but he is still winning games as stats don't lie.

I can only think of two reasons why he is bashed:
i) He replaced Afridi as captain causing Afridi fan-boys to become jealous
ii) He led us to quite a few series wins earlier on as captain and when we started losing series again he started getting criticized.

People need to realise he brought us back on the winning track and started to win ODI series for Pakistan. It's not as if before him that Pakistan were regularly winning ODI series, so cut the man some slack and give him the backing that he deserves

Stats source: ESPNcricinfo's Statsguru

Last edited:
He is a necessary evil in the current team. He has done an excellent job but should be phased out soon.

People here have imaginations of aggressive captains who uses test match fields and gets the opposition out for under 100 every match. Misbah doesn't fit with their wild imaginations so they rant and rave.

Haters Gonna hate! Can't do anything about it.

Mohali is still fresh in people's minds and the flak that he gets is mostly because of people who can't move on.

He is a necessary evil in the current team. He has done an excellent job but should be phased out soon.

People here have imaginations of aggressive captains who uses test match fields and gets the opposition out for under 100 every match. Misbah doesn't fit with their wild imaginations so they rant and rave.

Exactly! People believe Afridi was an aggressive captain but he wasn't winning series after series was he?

After T20 ,now it is time for him to leave ODI's too.......Should only play and captain in Tests....

After all he wont be there in 2015.....Can not make Umar ,Haris or Asad sit on the bench ....

Don't know why people are blasting his captaincy, he used his bowlers intelligently and Junaid did not finish his quota because he went for 13 runs in the first over of his comeback spell. Had three slips for Junaid which got us Sharma's wicket and bringing Hafeez on almost got him Dhoni's wicket.

After T20 ,now it is time for him to leave ODI's too.......Should only play and captain in Tests....

After all he wont be there in 2015.....Can not make Umar ,Haris or Asad sit on the bench ....

I hate this logic that he won't be able to play for 2015, need to play youngsters, etc.
I know it's important to give chances to youngsters and plan for the future to an extent but why should we compromise our CURRENT performances for the FUTURE
There needs to be a balance between youth and experience. We can't just fill the whole team with youngsters
And I am pretty sure that Misbah is not the only person in the team who won't be there till the 2015 WC so why don't we drop all of them?

Lol W63, why do you have to bring Malik in every post?
I ain't his biggest fan either but he has done well in this series so far

Its simple. He's not good enough for ODI cricket. He brings way too much pressure on the team with his poor technique and his lack of managing an innings skill.

He's almost 40 now and will never improve. Why are we wasting time in someone who keeps failing yet remains in the side?

His captaincy in limited overs is poor as well as his 1960's like batting. He'll hit a boundary and then block the next 5 or so deliveries adding pressure onto him self and more importantly the team.

Haris Sohail must be brought into the side and be persisted with. He's shown in domestic cricket that he's a fine talent who has a very wise head on his shoulders.

^How is his captaincy limited when he is winning us games?
If he is performing and leading us to wins, I don't care how old he is
Yes Haris Sohail is talented and needs to be given chances but he can wait.
It's not as if Misbah is going to play forever. He will get his chance sooner or later.
Why do we have to sack our captains all the time? He is doing fine and should be persisted with till at least the Champions Trophy

Its simple. He's not good enough for ODI cricket. He brings way too much pressure on the team with his poor technique and his lack of managing an innings skill.

He's almost 40 now and will never improve. Why are we wasting time in someone who keeps failing yet remains in the side?

What is your definition of "keep failing"?

Look at Post #7, and tell me why he has best average in ODIs for last three years...even with his poor technique and his lack of managing an innings skill...and the batsman who keeps failing??

His captaincy in limited overs is poor as well as his 1960's like batting. He'll hit a boundary and then block the next 5 or so deliveries adding pressure onto him self and more importantly the team.

Haris Sohail must be brought into the side and be persisted with. He's shown in domestic cricket that he's a fine talent who has a very wise head on his shoulders.

I won't argue with your last paragraph, that is very true.

Before that, however, let's analyze. You say he has a poor technique. However, anyone with a poor technique can not have Misbah's stats in tests or ODI's.

He may be 40 but as long as he performs, he will stay in the side. His captaincy is not poor, the stats say otherwise. It's just the natural hate people have for him, because of Mohai. As for the last assertion, that's still 4 rpo.

An anchor should bat in the top 4.Azhar is the anchor as he can last against the new ball and looks to bat all the overs.Misbah is just trying to extend his stay in the team with his selfish batting.

Lol W63, why do you have to bring Malik in every post?
Simply because it stops some posters from being hypocrite and having double standards... when they bash one player for being bad in one criteria.... while the totally ignore... a much worse player in the same criteria! That is all!

I ain't his biggest fan either but he has done well in this series so far

I hope, he KEEPS doing that so that he earns his place in the team!

I'd take a 40 year old who averages 40 and is fit to England for the Champions Trophy atleast. We need to start taking ICC tourneys seriously and chaning captains two months before a major one takes place is just silly.

What is your definition of "keep failing"?

Look at Post #7, and tell me why he has best average in ODIs for last three years...even with his poor technique and his lack of managing an innings skill...and the batsman who keeps failing??

He keeps failing to manage his innings efficiently. He's been playing cricket for such a long time yet still has not rectified his errors.

His SR in the 21st century proves how he fails in ODI cricket. Please have a look at his SR in post 7. Do you think this is acceptable in this day and age? It clearly is not looking at our results in ODI cricket of late?

I'd take a 40 year old who averages 40 and is fit to England for the Champions Trophy atleast. We need to start taking ICC tourneys seriously and chaning captains two months before a major one takes place is just silly.

So does his SR not matter to you?

He keeps failing to manage his innings efficiently. He's been playing cricket for such a long time yet still has not rectified his errors.

His SR in the 21st century proves how he fails in ODI cricket. Please have a look at his SR in post 7. Do you think this is acceptable in this day and age? It clearly is not looking at our results in ODI cricket of late?

I have mentioned this in the opening post too:
Why weren't we winning consistently when Misbah was NOT in the team?
It wasn't as if we were winning series after series when he wasn't there
Recent results has nothing to do with Misbah S/R

What is Misbah's SR in the last 2 or so years, compared to other batsman from different teams batting at his position?

We weren't winning consistently but we've never been a consistent team. We never won consistently but we still had better performances under Afridi.

Lost 3-2 to England after a brilliant comeback in the series.
Lost 3-2 to SA after a brilliant comeback yet again.
Beat NZ 4-1 in NZ.
Beat WI 3-2 in WI.
Semi finalists of 2011 world cup.

Also now we have a solid replacement for Misbah. Its just the replacement cannot come in if Misbah remains in the team.

As long as we have Misbah in the team, Pakistan will continue to lose ODI series.

So does his SR not matter to you?

It is skewed because more often than not he is forced to steady the ship and get us to a safe position. Having said that, nothing stops him from rotating the strike more and that is an element that he needs to work on.

We can afford to have one batsman who strikes at 70-75 though, and he should continue in our ODI team until the Champions Trophy.

I can't take someone who thinks U.Akmal is better than Kohli when they talk about batting, sorry.

In the latest ODI, between Misbah walking to the crease and him walking back to the pavilion, the difference between the number of runs needed and balls remaining, dropped to within spitting distance of a run a ball, bearing in mind Pakistan were never on the back foot.

I hate this logic that he won't be able to play for 2015, need to play youngsters, etc.
I know it's important to give chances to youngsters and plan for the future to an extent but why should we compromise our CURRENT performances for the FUTURE
There needs to be a balance between youth and experience. We can't just fill the whole team with youngsters
And I am pretty sure that Misbah is not the only person in the team who won't be there till the 2015 WC so why don't we drop all of them?

Think for long term.......

We can have a moderate current time now rather than a disastrous time in future/World Cup ........And Misbah is doing no wonders ...We lost previous two ODI series too.....

Because we have good possible replacements in Umar,Asad,Haris Sohail......At maximum till the South Africa series we can afford him....Need time for young batsman and skipper to settle down..

We weren't winning consistently but we've never been a consistent team. We never won consistently but we still had better performances under Afridi.

Lost 3-2 to England after a brilliant comeback in the series.
Lost 3-2 to SA after a brilliant comeback yet again.
Beat NZ 4-1 in NZ.
Beat WI 3-2 in WI.
Semi finalists of 2011 world cup.

Also now we have a solid replacement for Misbah. Its just the replacement cannot come in if Misbah remains in the team.

As long as we have Misbah in the team, Pakistan will continue to lose ODI series.

Misbah has a higher win % and W/L than Afridi

In the latest ODI, between Misbah walking to the crease and him walking back to the pavilion, the difference between the number of runs needed and balls remaining, dropped to within spitting distance of a run a ball, bearing in mind Pakistan were never on the back foot.

It is a known fact that after a settled batsman gets out the RRR generally goes up a it takes time for the new batsman to settle.

Misbah was playing according to the game's requirement. Had he thrown his wicket away, we would have lost

What is Misbah's SR in the last 2 or so years, compared to other batsman from different teams batting at his position?

So it is OK to have worse S/R that Misbah at some OTHER batting position? :)

What is his batting position? I'll give you the stats that you want.

Last edited:

Who is winning consistently in ODIs?

If I remove minnows from your stats compilation, the equation becomes:

Shoaib Malik:

Won ODI series vs SriLanka 2-1 (neutral)
Won Triangular cup involving Pak, Ban, Ind
Won ODI series vs West Indies 3-0 (neutral)

Lost ODI series vs South Africa 3-2 (home)
Lost ODI series vs India 3-2 (away)
Failed to reach final of Asia Cup
Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 2-1 (home)

Younis Khan:

Lost ODI series vs Australia 3-2 (neutral)
Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 3-2 (away)
Reached Semifinal of Champions Trophy
Lost ODI series vs New Zealand 3-2 (neutral)

Mohammad Yousuf:

Lost ODI series to Australia 4-0 (away)
(Afridi was captain in 5th match)

Shahid Afridi:

Won ODI series vs New Zealand 3-2 (away)
Won ODI series vs West Indies 3-2 (away)

Failed to reach final of Asia cup
Lost ODI series vs England 3-2 (away)
Lost ODI series vs South Africa 3-2 (neutral)
Eliminated in semifinal of CWC 2011

Misbah ul Haq:

Won the Asia Cup

Now does it look flattering for Misbah? No. Malik's and Afridi's record seems much better. Now leave captaincy aside, Misbah the batsmen is blocking the path of youngsters like Akmal, Harris, Shafiq and is likely not going to play in the next CWC. In addition to all that, Misbah has failed to up the tempo in most of his innings which resulted in pressure on other players and eventual capitulation.

Consider this if yesterday Nasir Jamshed was joined by Misbah at 21-2 in 10 overs, would Jamshed have survived the scoreboard pressure? Most likely not.

Last edited:

Im a firm believer in playing ur best batsmen.

He is no2. Therefore he plays.

It's the 6 th best batsman we should be questioning.

Won ODI series vs Ireland 2-0 (away)
Won ODI series vs Zimbabwe 3-0 (away)

Won ODI series vs Bangladesh 3-0 (away
Won ODI vs Afghanistan (neutral)
)
Won the Asia Cup(India trashed Pakistan)

The bold parts are hardly any achievements to consider, only one notable permanence was against SL in UAE.

He has lost three series consecutively and you want me to praise him as LOIs captain. I really don't like him as LOIs captain and will never do.

even the Crappiest captain can win against these minnows, why mention these wins

I have to disagree here.

You need a mixture of attacking players and solid players.

We haven't had as solid a player like misbah in a long time

His captaincy is head and shoulders above everyone since inzi.

And I haven't even gone to the effort of analysing how he compared to inzi as captain as that should be enough.

Harris time will come.

Back