The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

1. You call him tuk tuk
2. If you were good enpugh im sure you would be playing domestic. Not to offend you.

I do NOT call him tuk tuk so I do not know where you've got that from. I only recently labelled the way he bats as 'tuk tuk'. Tuk meaning a block.

Misbah should give up in ODI after this series, with his technique and old age in WC2015 he wouldn't able to play in AUS and NZ.

Give someone a chance for captaincy to groom for WC2015 (Asad Shafiq, Junaid Khan, Nasir Jameshed and Hafeez

Agreed. He should retire soon from ODI but go on an high

There are only 8 players who have ever had a SR over 80 for pakistan. (Against non minnows having scored 1000 runs)

Can someone name them? (No Misbah)

He should at least have a strike rate 75, if he has role of solid player

I do NOT call him tuk tuk so I do not know where you've got that from. I only recently labelled the way he bats as 'tuk tuk'. Tuk meaning a block.

I think i understand the meaning. And calling him tuk tuk wont help so i suggest BD bhai, please stop it

People do not like Misbah because:

He doesn't try to hit 4s and 6s every ball

He is on the wrong side of 30

He doesn't engage in the celebrity circus

Even better the AVE used for this would be half way between an average with NOs and average without NOs. (Thus reducing the value given to an NO.

Only use runs against top7 nations. (Exclude minnows)

Don't use manipulated years- just use the entire career of a player.

Why treat NO as an out? Malik was 34 not out yesterday. You are going to
treat him same as somebody who came to open and got out at 34?

Why exclude minnows? Ireland sent us home in 2007 WC. BD sent India home in the same WC. Kenya made it to semi-final in 2003 WC and we exited in first round.

I was going to do last three years! :p

average of 38 and a strike rate of almost 85

he so much better than Misbah in ODI #fact

Captain Misbah he has developed pakistan cricket he is honest Captain
Haters gone hate

I think we should at least see the series result first before asking for Misbah to sacked. He shoud continue as long as he is on a wins, or as long as Azhar Ali hasn't established himself as captain material.

Shoaib Malik is one of the worst Pakistani batsmen in ODI overall

Only preforms against India(average 52) and WI (39), and you see his average against other are pretty crap

Every team in the world now has the same test and ODI captain or at least the test captain playing in the ODI team in the case of RSA

For a team which is known for having in house fighting especially, why should they be different?

No one remembers series as captain when it comes to one day stuff. Its tournaments that count if anything. Misbah has won 1/1 so far. Why change?

He has been one of the premier List A batsmen for Pakistan post 2000s

He has always been an identified leader

What more can you ask for?

For those criticising Misbahs strike rate.

Can someone tell me Inzis strike rate against non minnows.

Please.

Different era, different times. Misbah is playing during an era of fast scoring and T20 cricket. Misbah has played in the IPL.

Inzi played where there was no T20 cricket.

Every team in the world now has the same test and ODI captain or at least the test captain playing in the ODI team in the case of RSA

For a team which is known for having in house fighting especially, why should they be different?

No one remembers series as captain when it comes to one day stuff. Its tournaments that count if anything. Misbah has won 1/1 so far. Why change?

He has been one of the premier List A batsmen for Pakistan post 2000s

He has always been an identified leader

What more can you ask for?

No-one your a fan of Misbah. You've forgotten everything.

It will soon be over. Misbah is 39 and has served his time being a second choice stop-gap captain of Pakistan. I give him another year, in fact, might be worth placing a wager on his retirement after the SA series.

Different era, different times. Misbah is playing during an era of fast scoring and T20 cricket. Misbah has played in the IPL.

Did Inzamam play in an era of 2 new balls at each end?

Did Inzamam play in an era where the ODI batting was as fragile?

Lots of things to consider here too

Era is often just a vague excuse

Inzi is a class player. By refusing to compare his strike rate with Misbah you are denying that.

I will tell all his flaws right now

First is Bopara cameback to his ODI side against Pakistan in UAE.

Bopara was clearly feeling the pressure after another comeback, he was 8* (25b), instead of applying more pressure, he spreads out the feild to give him easy single and he went to make a 50[ and partnership of 131 with cook]

In the first match there were 107 singles, 19 twos and 2 there. Bopora had 25 singles in his innings and that what you great captaincy of MISBAH.

This happened in the the whole sereis , we never applied the pressure and played the defensive game then went on to loose 4-0

This is parnership of Cook and Bopra in middle overs and see how singles and double were available, that called crap and defensive captaincy.

To make my point clearer.. (as i have been posting about this since yesterday)

THIS... is the only problem I have with him(as I had with Yousuf, as I had with Malik, Afridi, and to some extent Hafeez)... EXACT point and example which shah_1 has shown.

Neither do I want him kicked out.. nor do I want anyone else take up the captaincy right now.. I want some Allah ka banda to understand this MAJOR MISTAKE and convey it to the management and make Misbah aware of the problem

If fans can declare a bowler getting smacked or a batsman brainfarting as the reason for an ODI loss.... SO IS Misbahs' field placings after 15 overs

It will soon be over. Misbah is 39 and has served his time being a second choice stop-gap captain of Pakistan. I give him another year, in fact, might be worth placing a wager on his retirement after the SA series.

He is 38 for one thing

SA series should be his series wher he should decide to continue in Tests

The other first choice captains were terrible :))

1 was a fixer and the other ran away with his tail between his legs in the middle of a test series.

I'm happy this is the 'second choice captain' we have.

I agree that he should be looking to retire soon, to blood in youngsters. After the Saffer series may be the best time as it will be our most difficult challenge in the last 6-7 years.

Inzi is a class player. By refusing to compare his strike rate with Misbah you are denying that.

This rule has only become reinstated recently. & yes Inzi played in a time where there was 2 new balls from each end. 1992 world cup :)

After the Saffer series may be the best time as it will be our most difficult challenge in the last 6-7 years.

But also your biggest opportunity.

Pakistan could even credibly call themselves the world's best Test side were they to win.

Misbah bashing is too polite most of the times, it should be ruthless and severe. The amount of times he has cost Pakistan games with his pathetic limited batting/temperament and his poor ODI/T-20 Captaincy cannot be counted.

Misbah is an amazing captain, it can't be easy to lead a side like Pakistan but he's done it with almost zero chaos and has whitewashed the #1 side along the way, and achieved a series win in New Zealand too.

Who can do better, from that current Pakistani side?

Michael Hussey.......:bow:

A good example for Misbah to follow.......Needs to think that way ....Can not go forever...

I have never hated him, but he can at maximum stay here for 6 or 8 months .....Why not after South Africa series....??

Malcolm says,"Future belongs to those who prepare for it today"

Does anyone remember the final ODI against Australia? Misbah showed his dumb/retarded captaincy by allowing Hussey/Maxwell to get so close to the target and leaving Ajmal's overs late in the innings. He was expecting Hussey/Maxwell to play so slow and didnt expect them to play fast and get closer to the total before Ajmal anticipated inclusion into the attack. Just personifies Misbah's dumbness as skipper, an insult to an MBA degree. Just goes into every game with a piece of paper. He's received too much credit for Pak's showings since the spot fixing scandal. Wasnt Afridi the captain of the ODI team during that time? Didnt Afridi lead the ODI team in England when the pressure on the team was at is peak? What about the coach Waqar?

Where does Misbah come into "helped Pak recover from the spot fixing ...." crap. He was just lucky to be in the right place, at the right moment and time.

Why treat NO as an out? Malik was 34 not out yesterday. You are going to
treat him same as somebody who came to open and got out at 34?

Why exclude minnows? Ireland sent us home in 2007 WC. BD sent India home in the same WC. Kenya made it to semi-final in 2003 WC and we exited in first round.

I was going to do last three years! :p

1) I said to treat it as half way between out and not out.

Let me explain to you why.

a) An average is the number of runs between dismissals.

b) We use averages for working out what people are expected to get per innings.

Those two things (a and b) are not the same. The person with NOs is getting an exponential benefit for his innings (despite being 1 innings)

In order to make an average work like we need for b) we would have to exclude NOs.

BUT

That is not fair either.

Why fault someone for an NO - Its not their fault they didnt get out.

SO

what I would do is a half way house - use an average thats half way in between what it would be if you included and excluded the NOs.

2) Exclude minnows because it skews the results.

The runs are important.

Just not as important as the runs against the top nations.

But also your biggest opportunity.

Pakistan could even credibly call themselves the world's best Test side were they to win.

No doubt. At first I was fearful BUT after seeing the way Irfan and Junaid bowled I believe we have a shout.

Yes they were different era's.

But actually there isn't that much of a difference in the average scores of a 50 over innings.

Tell me the answer - and then we can talk about how much higher a current players SR should be in comparison.

Ultimately the average score of an ODI innings is similar in both eras despite the different rules... so net net we can compare them.

Right Right....

All the haters please have a look.

Purely from a SR point of view you CANNOT criticise the MIsbah.

(please dont start hating on ME - I am not saying Misbah is as good as Inzi. I am not. Misbah is not fit enough to clean Inzi's shoes.)

But the FACT is that PURELY from an SR perspective YOU CANNOT criticise the Misbah.

There are only 8 players who have ever had a SR over 80 for Pakistan. (Against non minnows having scored 1000 runs)

Can someone name them? (No Misbah is not on the list)

No-one could answer this challenge?

I can't believe that!

cribbing about his strike-rate is so beyond idiotic.

99% of matches Pakistan has lost is because the batting lineup failed to bat the overs, and here we are crying about the one guy who actually occupies the crease and puts a price on his wicket.

Right Right....

All the haters please have a look.

Purely from a SR point of view you CANNOT criticise the MIsbah.

(please dont start hating on ME - I am not saying Misbah is as good as Inzi. I am not. Misbah is not fit enough to clean Inzi's shoes.)

But the FACT is that PURELY from an SR perspective YOU CANNOT criticise the Misbah.

I like misbah but you can't use his career strike rate. He was a gun odi and t20 player in his first year to 18 months but in the past 12 months has seriously deteriorated naturally due to age. Obviously he's still a more than competant test player.

I like misbah but you can't use his career strike rate. He was a gun odi and t20 player in his first year to 18 months but in the past 12 months has seriously deteriorated naturally due to age. Obviously he's still a more than competant test player.

his age, or the fact that Yousuf is not there and Malik is a shadow of the batsman that he used to be?

Form is temporary class is permanent. (There are always fluctuations)

There were periods in Inzis career where his strike rate was similar to Misbahs this year. Fact.

Last edited:
his age, or the fact that Yousuf is not there and Malik is a shadow of the batsman that he used to be?

They are factors but imo the major issue is age. I can't see him getting fooled by ishant sharma in 08.

Pakistan have LONG needed a stabiliser in ODIs. That man has been Misbah.

We've LONG needed an adequate captain who has the respect of the team. That ma has been Misbah.

cribbing about his strike-rate is so beyond idiotic.

99% of matches Pakistan has lost is because the batting lineup failed to bat the overs, and here we are crying about the one guy who actually occupies the crease and puts a price on his wicket.

This.

Misbah is under appreciated even if he averages 40+ in ODIs and 45+ in Tests. mabe Pakistani fans want him to be an Afridi and hit fours and sixes all the time? Ridiculous?

I iterate - who in that Pakistani side is a better fit to be the leader?

I iterate - who in that Pakistani side is a better fit to be the leader?

An aggressive captain, who bats aggressively, has aggressive fields and gets teams out fast.

People are waiting for Imam Mahdi to don a green shirt.

Form is temporary class is permanent.

To an extent. But this should only be used for players still in their good days (25-35 for batsmen). Malik is an example. He never had great class but was a very good odi player and I believe he can rediscover that form because age isn't a factor.

You can't use that saying for 37+ year olds. Otherwise ponting, inzi etc shouldn't have retired when they did.

You can't just totally absolve Misbah of criticism over his ODI and T20 strike rates though. It's a fact that he has sometimes shown an inability to adapt to a situation, and it has cost Pakistan games.

And, that is one of the many reasons why his career strike rate is not high. Simple logic!

Like I said - defend him or support him all you like, but don't be bloody dishonest.

Last edited:
They are factors but imo the major issue is age. I can't see him getting fooled by ishant sharma in 08.

and yet he is still the highest runscorer in ODIs for Pakistan this year? :razzaq

Just for the record, I don't think misbah should retire from odis just yet. We still need him for stability, captaincy and guidance for the youngsters. But I think probably the champions trophy should be his last assignment.

An aggressive captain, who bats aggressively, has aggressive fields and gets teams out fast.

People are waiting for Imam Mahdi to don a green shirt.

Exactly, there is nobody in the side other than Misbah as an option.

You take what you get, and here is a guy who has good figures in both formats of the game.

I suppose if Rahul Dravid was your captain, you would have hated him too.

To an extent. But this should only be used for players still in their good days (25-35 for batsmen). Malik is an example. He never had great class but was a very good odi player and I believe he can rediscover that form because age isn't a factor.

You can't use that saying for 37+ year olds. Otherwise ponting, inzi etc shouldn't have retired when they did.

Misbah is fit enough.

You can tell when the fitness is gone.

Misbah is our leading run scorer this year in ODIs (i think).

You can't just totally excuse Misbah of criticism over his ODI and T20 strike rates. It's a fact that he has sometimes shown as inability to adapt to a situation, and it has cost Pakistan games. Like I said - defend him or support him all you like, but don't be bloody dishonest.

True, he has lost us some games; the third t20 against England earlier this year being a very good example
But calling him the worst captain in the world or the sole reason for our ODI losses is ridiculous

Just for the record, I don't think misbah should retire from odis just yet. We still need him for stability, captaincy and guidance for the youngsters. But I think probably the champions trophy should be his last assignment.

Fair enough.

Though I think his captaincy is needed for as long as we can possibly eke out.

We have had a taste of Hafeez as captain - and I didnt like it.

Agree. He NEEDS to be persisted with as captain till the Champs. Trophy

You can't just totally absolve Misbah of criticism over his ODI and T20 strike rates though. It's a fact that he has sometimes shown an inability to adapt to a situation, and it has cost Pakistan games.

And, that is one of the many reasons why his career strike rate is not high. Simple logic!

Like I said - defend him or support him all you like, but don't be bloody dishonest.

yes he has his limitations and faults, even a gun ODI player like SRT had his as well.

buit he is still indispensable right now, both as a batsman and as a captain.

and yet he is still the highest runscorer in ODIs for Pakistan this year? :razzaq

Misbah is fit enough.

You can tell when the fitness is gone.

Misbah is our leading run scorer this year in ODIs (i think).

He's getting the runs but how many times are they match winning contributions? He might be fit but I feel his reflexes are going and aren't allowing him to adapt and play big shots once he's in. As a result he can only play the supporting role and this year hardly anyone has been able to play the dominating role, hence the terrible odi results.

Fair enough.

Though I think his captaincy is needed for as long as we can possibly eke out.

We have had a taste of Hafeez as captain - and I didnt like it.

I agree with requiring his captaincy but was hafeez that bad? Also he hasn't been skipper in odis yet.

He's getting the runs but how many times are they match winning contributions? He might be fit but I feel his reflexes are going and aren't allowing him to adapt and play big shots once he's in. As a result he can only play the supporting role and this year hardly anyone has been able to play the dominating role, hence the terrible odi results.

I agree with requiring his captaincy but was hafeez that bad? Also he hasn't been skipper in odis yet.

1) You are right to a certain extent so therefore I can't really prove it to you otherwise.

I just consider with my judgement that he is very needed in our side.

He is the second best batsman.

When his faculties fail him such that he becomes the worst batsman - I will focus my attention in asking for him to be removed.

2) Only a keen observer will notice that Hafeez is a follower not a leader.

Unfortunately he over thinks and then over experiments and makes shocking decisions because he feels he is the "professor".

Not bowling himself in the T20 series was one such example.

We are talking about one of the worlds best spinners who is absolutely brilliant at bowling to left handers.... hiding himself when it was needed.

Last edited:
No doubt. At first I was fearful BUT after seeing the way Irfan and Junaid bowled I believe we have a shout.

I would like to think this too but something is bugging me.

Tests matches are enduring so I'm scratching my head figuring out whether Junaid/Irfan have the stamina to last 1 day let alone 5 days, after all, it was alleged that Misbah didn't use Junaid (because he was too tired after bowling 5 overs) to the extent Junaid missed out on his quota.

Either the tiredness line was just sugar-coating Misbah's defensive captaincy, or Junaid is a potential flop because of his stamina.

I refuse to accept a 22 year old doesn't have the stamina to last 10 overs in an ODI.

Its between him and azhar ali. One should make way for a more attacking player whether its umar akmal or someone else. Because of his age and the fact that he has cost us key games in the past i feel he should make way and give up his spot. He isnt going to be there for the next world cup that guaranteed so he should retire his ODI spot.

I bet, without even looking at any statistics, Both misbah and azhar ali (maybe even mohammed hafeez) are in the top 10 lowest strike rates of 2012.

Edit: I would have made it between Younis khan aswell but he played cracking innings at near enough a run a ball. But he shouldn't have returned to the team tbh.

Last edited:
^The ODI results weren't extraordinary before his captaincy either

I didn't say anything against his captaincy, just his batting deteriorating. But even then he's been ok and he certainly isn't at fault for our odi losses as people make it out.

1) You are right to a certain extent so therefore I can't really prove it to you otherwise.

I just consider with my judgement that he is very needed in our side.

He is the second best batsman.

When his faculties fail him such that he becomes the worst batsman - I will focus my attention in asking for him to be removed.

2) Only a keen observer will notice that Hafeez is a follower not a leader.

Unfortunately he over thinks and then over experiments and makes shocking decisions because he feels he is the "professor".

Not bowling himself in the T20 series was one such example.

We are talking about one of the worlds best spinners who is absolutely brilliant at bowling to left handers.... hiding himself when it was needed.
Fair enough. Let's see how things have developed by the end of the CT.

Tbh not bowling himself confused me too. From what we've seen he's not an ideal captain but who else is there? Azhar sparks to mind but he hasn't secured his spot in the lineup yet.

Tbh not bowling himself confused me too. From what we've seen he's not an ideal captain but who else is there? Azhar sparks to mind but he hasn't secured his spot in the lineup yet.

Its not an easy answer.... that's why we need to keep Misbah for as long as possible.

It honestly pains me to say it but :malik looks like a contender.

Commiserations to Savak and Bullet Drive for Misbah winning the first ODI vs India

lol do our comments hurt you? Aw it really is sad isn't it.

I want Pak to win all ODI's and I wanted Misbah to finish the game for us. Unfortunately he could not. I back him to finish a game for us in the next 2 if we are chasing a total lower than 250. Anything above I expect him to either fail completely or just apply pressure on the team and score a not out 50 or so.

Commiserations to Savak and Bullet Drive for Misbah winning the first ODI vs India

The only thing i would give him credit for is that he played junaid. Otherwise he was simply pathetic as a captain. Just look at how hafeez handled irfan and how misbah handled him. Hafeez is easily the better captain and misbah is just blocking haris sohail's way into the team. He should take a bus to mohali to continue his legendary innings and let hafeez take care of the captaincy.

Misbah destroying the combination of the team!

Misbah is being selfish again. He is clearly out of form and he is coming to bat before in-form Malik? Your inform batsman should play the maximum deliveries. Malik got out due to the pressure situation but he was middling the ball beautifully which Misbah never does even when in form.

And the first wicket fell on 141. A set platform was given by the openers. Why would you want to send Azhar Ali who can't rotate the strike? All he does tuk tuk? Why can't they be flexible in their approach? Younis OR Malik should have come at 1 down today.

Thank You Misbah!

What do you expect

when you have Azhar ali, Younis Khan and Misbah in same line up in ODI.

TUK TUK masters, all hail the greatest TUK TUKS

It's true though , I'm a misbah fan but his buddies who needed to justify there places came in first and did nothing , and now I wonder him anyone can defend keeping umar akmal out

The batsmen averaging 43 and 41 are castigated and made to be villains.

What a joke.

Misbah needs to bye bye himself.

Yk one gd innings n thn nothing.

We got asad shafiq, haris n umer Akmal!

Drop azhar promote kami n get umer in.

Back