The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

here we go again. it's misbah that's keeping this team together. the day he goes, the politicians will come back :afridi :malik :kami :rana :farhat :umarakmal

We need dynamic player

Harris Sohail
Umar AKmal
Naved Yasin for NEXT series [One good quality I saw during T20 tounrmment, rotating the strike as much he could]

replace three TUK TUKS #fact

If we are going to Azhar ali then we must play open with him otherwise there is no point of him playing in middle overs, because He CAN'T rotate the strike against spinners

I'm not trolling, I'm finding it hilarious that you want your batsmen picked on the basis of strike rate!

Is SR not important?

+ I agree but I really cannot be bothered any more to express my views on Misbah. He's selfish and always will be.

I'm not trolling, I'm finding it hilarious that you want your batsmen picked on the basis of strike rate!

No, we want our batsmen to be picked on a balance of acerage and strike rate. Azhar Ali should never have played this match, totally killed our momentum.

@Varun

68 SR[Since his comeback as a captain] is way too low for liking in ODI side,

it like scoring 40 runs in 68 bowl{that Rubbish at best]

First time I am really starting to lose respect for Misbah.

This is batting line up is all defensive. This strategy just does not suit Pakistan.

Misbah, younus, even malik (unless he continues to come good) all need to make space for Umer, Haris and Shehzad (at least should be in the squad). Look how jamshed is outperforming all our old and tired players. If we give the same type of chances to haris etc, he will come good too.

We dont need too many slow batsmen in odi, yes we do need slow ones from time to time, but not all of them. I beleieve hafeez should bat at 3 or 6, giving ahzar to face the new ball regualrly. We will then get the most out of him.

And for God sake, lets get rid of this kamran, has been doing nothing since the warmup game (in WC t20).

Azhar
Nasir
Hafeez
Umer
Haris
Malik
New wicketkeeper.

These averages of 40 from Misbah and Azhar are very deceptive ones..

They dont show how there mere coming at the crease causes the damage to the innings with their inability to rotate strike

Misbah, younus, even malik (unless he continues to come good) all need to make space for Umer, Haris and Shehzad (at least should be in the squad). Look how jamshed is outperforming all our old and tired players. If we give the same type of chances to haris etc, he will come good too.

We dont need too many slow batsmen in odi, yes we do need slow ones from time to time, but not all of them. I beleieve hafeez should bat at 3 or 6, giving ahzar to face the new ball regualrly. We will then get the most out of him.

And for God sake, lets get rid of this kamran, has been doing nothing since the warmup game (in WC t20).

Azhar
Nasir
Hafeez
Umer
Haris
Malik
New wicketkeeper.

Please no! We do not want to get bundled out for under 100 every other game. We need a balance in our side which can be easily achieved by swapping Azhar for Umar. I have no idea about what to do with Kamran as he's the only keeper in our set-up that can sort of bat, all the others are tail-enders or only suitable for tests (Adnan).

Bottom line - Azhar, Younus and Misbah cant be part of the same line up !

I think it is true , malik could have come 1 down as he can rotate the strike. Misbah can't think out of box.

Last edited:
Good captaincy from Misbah so far. Like the way he's given Junaid a 7th over instead of saving his overs for later. Good stuff. Impressed and I hope he keeps it up. Insha'Allah.

Poor with the bat but inspired choices in the field.

Haters made to eat humble pie.

1196891.jpg

Did well with the bowling changes and fielding placements today, credit to him for making sure India were under as much pressure as possible throughout innings.

Needs to be abit more flexible with the batting order though, especially in situations where we get off to the start we did today.

Continues to achieve big things!
First whitewashed the No 1 side (England) 3-0
And now he has led Pakistan to a series win against India IN India, which is India's first series defeat at home since 2009

Hopefully he will lead Pakistan to a 3-0 win vs South Africa too

And now he has led Pakistan to a series win against India IN India, which is India's first series defeat at home since 2009

tough for many to digest

Haters gonna hate however I do think Hafeez should be taking over captaincy and Younis and Misbah need to be phased out we have to prepare for 2015 wc.

Short terms results aren't the be all and end all if your captain leaves a team full of slow coaches and pensioners, hardly building for the future when was the last time he played a Dhoni type innings just a defensive captain who is going to leave a team of has beens.

The wicket wasn't flat it was perfect for Pakistan with some pace and bounce and turn and grip for the spinners India played into their hands. They should've prepared a road so the poor middle order of Pakistan was truly exposed and not hidden due to the win now we will have to put up with Misdot's defensive crap for a while to come.
Guess who the match winers were? Nasir and Junaid where was Misbah and his fellow mates? They will get away with it due to Pakistan winning, we need a fearless young leader to hone and develop the talent we have to possibly make Pak the no1 team in the future not a Misbah type who brings in his mates for people like U Akmal who is statistically their best batsman.

^ 2nd ODI against Australia? came in and finished the game.

batsman*, only Junior was left after that.

considering our batting woes and our most recent display even at Kolkata, nothing is 100% safe with Pakistan.

I wouldn't mix up his ODI results with his test results.

A lot of those who want Misbah gone (such as myself) want him gone from the ODI team, not necessarily the test team.

In ODIs, Misbah also led us to losses against SL, Aus, and Eng last year.

batsman*, only Junior was left after that.

considering our batting woes and our most recent display even at Kolkata, nothing is 100% safe with Pakistan.

Ok batsman but they was still not any pressure to be honest. It was a comfy walk through the park.

The question was about a dhoni type of innings, i believe referring to dhonis innings in the 1st ODI taking a team in tatters to a very respectable total.

I wouldn't mix up his ODI results with his test results.

A lot of those who want Misbah gone (such as myself) want him gone from the ODI team, not necessarily the test team.

In ODIs, Misbah also led us to losses against SL, Aus, and Eng last year.

Agree with this. Nothing wrong with him staying in the test team he fits in and is doing a good job

Ok batsman but they was still not any pressure to be honest. It was a comfy walk through the park.

The question was about a dhoni type of innings, i believe referring to dhonis innings in the 1st ODI taking a team in tatters to a very respectable total.

you are asking for one of THE greatest ODI innings of all time, I doubt many big players have played a knock like that, let alone Misbah.

That game was set up by Nasir scoring 97 off 98 balls.

Misbah scored 30-odd. A nice contribution but not a major feat.

yes I know, was there watching it live.

was still not a done deal when Nasir got out and Azhar struggling to rotate strike.

yes I know, was there watching it live.

was still not a done deal when Nasir got out and Azhar struggling to rotate strike.

Misbah came in when Pak were 190/3 chasing 248 with only 4 runs per over required for 15 overs.

It would have to be a disaster for Pak to lose from that position.

As I said, a nice contribution but not a major feat. Even if he had fallen for a duck, Pak would have taken that game with 6 wickets in hand.

Last edited:
you are asking for one of THE greatest ODI innings of all time, I doubt many big players have played a knock like that, let alone Misbah.

It doesn't have to be that quality but atleast a match turning innings. If players like Afridi can play them kind of match turning innings (100 vs SL, 75 vs SL followed by 5 wickets in match, 70 vs NZ when pak collapsed) and abdul razzaq (THAT 100 vs SA) you expect someone who comes in before them to play the innings atleast once

Misbah came in when Pak were 190/3 chasing 248 with only 4 runs per over required for 15 overs.

It would have to be a disaster for Pak to lose from that position.

As I said, a nice contribution but not a major feat. Even if he had fallen for a duck, Pak would have taken that game with 6 wickets in hand.

if Pakistan's batting should have done what is was supposed to then we would be WC Champions and comfortably beaten England instead of lost 4-0, there is no point in dealing in hypothetical situations.

they have fallen apart way too many times for us to not know better.

It doesn't have to be that quality but atleast a match turning innings. If players like Afridi can play them kind of match turning innings (100 vs SL, 75 vs SL followed by 5 wickets in match, 70 vs NZ when pak collapsed) and abdul razzaq (THAT 100 vs SA) you expect someone who comes in before them to play the innings atleast once

Asia Cup vs Sri Lanka, Pakistan were 30/3, Misbah and Umar took them home.

Asia Cup vs Sri Lanka, Pakistan were 30/3, Misbah and Umar took them home.

Yes that was a good innings. But you are missing the point. I am asking for an innings where hope was lost, the batsman on the other end wasn't scoring runs or wickets were falling at the other end. where people would be turning over the channel. In the instance you mentioned he had good support from akmal through out the innings. It was a good innings, but im asking for one where he single handed turned the match on its head.

if Pakistan's batting should have done what is was supposed to then we would be WC Champions and comfortably beaten England instead of lost 4-0, there is no point in dealing in hypothetical situations.

they have fallen apart way too many times for us to not know better.

Are you trying to argue that that Misbah innings WAS a major feat?

It sounds like you're saying we might well have lost that match if Misbah was not in the team.

Can you give me your guess on the chances of that happening when Pak only needed 59 runs with 7 wickets in hand at around 3.6 per over for 16+ overs? 10% chance? 50% chance?

Of course we are dealing in hypotheticals if arguing whether Misbah's innings was critical or not in that game - it can't be otherwise because he did in fact play. My point is it was a good contribution, nothing more, and nothing to use as an argument for keeping him in the ODI team.

Yes that was a good innings. But you are missing the point. I am asking for an innings where hope was lost, the batsman on the other end wasn't scoring runs or wickets were falling at the other end. where people would be turning over the channel. In the instance you mentioned he had good support from akmal through out the innings. It was a good innings, but im asking for one where he single handed turned the match on its head.

Bhai aisi innings sirf filmon mein hi mil sakti hain :inzi

even Razzaq had Fawad and Dhoni had Raina with him.

Bhai aisi innings sirf filmon mein hi mil sakti hain :inzi

even Razzaq had Fawad and Dhoni had Raina with him.

:))
But Razzler won it and is remembered for it because he took control and did a majority of the scoring, same with Dhoni.

After he retires and Pakistan cricket turns back into madness, people will realize the magnitude of what Misbah and Waqar achieved, especially considering the depths pakistan cricket had reached 3-4 years ago.

He has truly saved pakistan cricket, we were on the brink of going under WI in test and odi rankings, our team selection, captaincy presence, politics, and team morale was all in the gutter. Slowly he applied calmness to our cricket, he realized what bowling strength we had and insisted we bat with stability instead of explosiveness to maximize our chances of winning. He backed young players to deliver, and has provided much needed leadership when there was none.

We just freaking beat england 3-0 in a test series, at that time the number one test nation in the world. No captain can boost of such an achievement, especially away from home.

After he retires and Pakistan cricket turns back into madness, people will realize the magnitude of what Misbah and Waqar achieved, especially considering the depths pakistan cricket had reached 3-4 years ago.

He has truly saved pakistan cricket, we were on the brink of going under WI in test and odi rankings, our team selection, captaincy presence, politics, and team morale was all in the gutter. Slowly he applied calmness to our cricket, he realized what bowling strength we had and insisted we bat with stability instead of explosiveness to maximize our chances of winning. He backed young players to deliver, and has provided much needed leadership when there was none.

We just freaking beat england 3-0 in a test series, at that time the number one test nation in the world. No captain can boost of such an achievement, especially away from home.

Tests yes. The ODI rebuilding was done under Afridi who has never been given credit for it. Even now i think the captain with highest W/L in ODIs since inzi is Afridi

Tests yes. The ODI rebuilding was done under Afridi who has never been given credit for it. Even now i think the captain with highest W/L in ODIs since inzi is Afridi

It's not just about the results (even though Misbah's have been much better), it's about the change in culture in Pak cricket. Afridi brought no stability, lambasted his own players in the media, and shouted at players during matches. The change has come from the top, which was always Misbah and Waqar.

And if you read the first post, that statement is not true, both Malik and Misbah have had higher w/l.

Last edited:
It's not just about the results (even though Misbah's have been much better), it's about the change in culture in Pak cricket. Afridi brought no stability, lambasted his own players in the media, and shouted at players during matches. The change has come from the top, which was always Misbah and Waqar.

And if you read the first post, that statement is not true, both Malik and Misbah have had higher w/l.

Whatever Afridi did it worked. It inspired a group of cricketers to the semi-final of the World cup a few months after we lost our solid opener and 2 of our best bowlers to spot fixing. Even the greatest haters cannot deny he brought the team together really well, he should never have been stripped of the captaincy.

And my statement is about matches Vs non-minnows.
Shoaib malik played over half his matches vs Zimbabwe and bangladesh

Umm no, that is Malik
Check the opening post
But yes, Afridi does deserve some credit for rebuilding our team after what happened in 2010, but most of the credit would go to :misbah and :waqar

Umm no, that is Malik
Check the opening post
But yes, Afridi does deserve some credit for rebuilding our team after what happened in 2010, but most of the credit would go to :misbah and :waqar

Without minnows Afridi has the best. And why would most go to misbah and waqar when afridi was the one who took charge after the events of 2010 and took us to winning ways.

Without minnows Afridi has the best. And why would most go to misbah and waqar when afridi was the one who took charge after the events of 2010 and took us to winning ways.

Misbah was captain in tests after 2010

I think this is what your looking for Ahson Afzal bhai:)

Misbah has revived Pakistan after 2010 saga with his defensive ways. The thing is that Misbah must understand that Pakistan have been revived and either he'll need to change his approach or hand captaincy to a more agrresive person that can take Pakistan to the top. I'm Misbah's biggest supporter hence my username but Pakistan first, Misbah seccond. I would never bash Misbah, i would criticize him. Its time people realize that Misbah has done alot for us during those hard times but its also time for Misbah to realize to do whats best for Pakistan. :19: :)

so far it has been common sense captaincy nothing brilliant, he doesnt have to do anything special

I think he needs to bring back junaid or irfan for an over at least to dislodge dhoni, no point letting dhoni settle. He needs to target him, as he is the only batsman who has done any damage.

Good while it lasts (which is up till the first test vs SA)

Last edited:
So he was not the captain in recent test series losses in Sri Lanka, England, SA and Australia ?

SA in UAE was draw 0-0

vs England,Australia in England, Butt was the captain

And he was banned due to overrate in our first test vs Srilanka which we lost

Back