The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

Why is so much negativity administered to Misbah-ul-Haq?

Because most fans are numpties!

All said and done, that was just one T20 game, and one ODI game. Fans should just let go.

He has won a series overseas in NZ with a broken team, then beat Eng 3-0 and his batting has been very good too.

By the way, didn't Pakistan beat India in an ODI and T20 series recently under Misbah? There you go.

We won t20's under hafeez and to be honest we won the ODI series due to two factors our bowling attack and nasir jamshed (offcourse misbah's captaincy also deserves credit but not his batting), apart from jamshed i think everyone else in our lineup were pathetic. And in the final ODI we collapsed chasing 160 odd, misbah is a burden on our batting line up in ODI's, and he needs to retire along with younus khan from ODI's altogether

But Misbah isn't as cool as Shahid Afridi.....Afridi would have scored a quickfire 20 off 12 balls with two sixes today and that would have been more fun.

I prediced on another thread that Misbah will be the highest run scorer in this test match as he often performs and grits it out when the team has their backs to the walls.I must admit Misbah before 2009 was a beast.

Look he doesnt have a khubsoorat shukul and isnt 17..bhuda needs to take his pills or something..

What an innings by Misbah excellent knock made my day i really hope he goes on IA.

The guy deserves praise . After the fixing debacle , the way he turned things around is just amazing . He has instilled a belief in us that Pakistan is anything but " Ordinary " .

I mean , his regime has being the most controversy free ever . That's the biggest plus for a Pakistani Captain .

His batting record as Captain is tremendous . Even his criticizers can't overlook that ! .

The negativity aimed at him, rightly so, is due to his limited overs cricket performances. I don't think anyone has an issue with him being in the test team at all

Why the hate for Misbah?

Because most fans have been badly infected by this disease known as Shahid Afridi :afridi

The only reason I don't like Misbah in ODI due to [Mind you it is only ODI]

I was bored, so I looked up misbah ul haq on cricinfo statistics and studied his strike rate in ODI's since his comeback in 2007. This is a comparison of his strike rate since his combeack. I have inserted the average which I have worked out using a calculator.

2007 - S/R = 87.595

2008 - S/R = 105.41471

2009 - S/R = 61.8

2010 - S/R = 58.355

2011- S/R = 65.6984

2012/13 - S/R = 63.81263

These statistics are self explanatory. What the hell happened!?! from 2007/08 a strike rate of 85-100. Then the last 4 years averaging a strike rate of about 60?!

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=170056

South Africa have not been able to dismiss him in this test yet, thats quite a feat for any batsman. The hate only comes from the Afridi fans who are still angry that he replaced their idol as captain in LOI's and under 14 kiddies who don't have the patience to enjoy a good test innings.

Still needed in tests and ODI's big time by Pakistan.

You can go back to 2007 t20 wc final against india when he brought pak to victory but threw it away the way he did hitting a ridiculous shot. However, one can't argue against his Captaining capabilities he's lead Pakistan the best way anyone can possibly lead Pakistan and his modesty has been helpful, he's not a religious fanatic, infact he's given Pak team some sort of religious freedom and given each player their room without any drama... Also like it or not if Ijaz Butt did one thing good he went after Players who were too political e.g. Malik, yousef and ect.. Which has also helped misbah take total command of the team without worrying about dirty politics that has ruined previous Pakistan cricket teams.

Because he is not Shahid Afridi.

He arrived to snatch the throne from King Afridi, whose birthright it is to be supreme leader of the Pakistan team in all formats.

Funny thing is, Misbah generally supports Afridi.

This!

some pakistani fans are so used to wham bam players such as afridi, that they cant recognize the importance of misbah. In fact, one or two just HAVE to bring him up in every thread somehow. Kinda annoying actually.

That fact that we can even play test cricket right now, is mainly due to Misbah. Whether people accept it or not is a different matter. He will be missed when he is gone.

PCB should back him no matter what happens on this tour. And if these fickle fans stop watching cricket due to Misbah staying on as captain, even better!

Last edited:
Why is it that anyone who says something against misbah must automatically be an Afridi lover? I think Afridi is rightly out of the ODI squad but i feel that misbah should also be out of it.

We have some not so intelligent posters using Misbahs test performances, which no one has a problem with, to attack the people who are against misbah because he is a horrible ODI batsmen.

Let me see if i can help get this message out: MISBAH SHOULD STAY FOR TEST MATCHES ONLY BUT HE SHOULD BE DROPPED FOR ODI MATCHES

One benefit to having Zaka is that if it was any other chairman, he would've evicted Misbah out as captain post Mohali. Thankfully, he is sensible.

Zaka ( :zaka -> :dav ) was not the chairman during WC 2011. He became the chairman later in the year.

There were news that Butt :)ibutt -> :vicky :butt) preferred Misbah over Afridi due to his diplomatic nature, and hence the delay in appointing captain prior to the WC as Misbah was offered the captaincy, which he was reluctunt to take due to the disturbance in the dressing room it could create, and eventually Afridi was retained as ODI captain for the moment.

Last edited:
One of our best captains. Not surprising that the majority of our best captains have been educated.

The hate for Misbah I am sure is because of................. Mohali 2011

True that.

:misbah_old is a sensible and strong-headed guy. One should not criticize him too much. He has served Pakistan cricket quite well without doubt. He will be rememberred in good words more than bad ones. Poor semi-final performance, on a flat track, was one of those bad memories we would definately carry. But overall, I agree as a captain one of the best captain, of the 10-12 captains :wasim:vicky:inzi:moin:rashid:malik:afridi:moyo:butt we have had this Century.

Though, like many, he also has his weaknesses. He lacks aggression and he is not much confident at times, especially when batting. Many of his statements in interviews are defensive, again shows lack of confidence. He gets bogged down in blocking deliveries instead of rotating strike. He didn't go after chasable yet risky targets in two of the drawn tests against SL in late 2011.

He does not have a charasmatic personality, or does not speak to his bowlers much or pat their backs, like Afridi does. But he is usually smart to choose his bowlers and is definately passionate about cricket, which is indicated in his personal interviews.

Last edited:
Only batsmen to show any sort of fight in Both Inns, also looked probably our best batsmen in both inns as well. Those who dont want him in the side seriously dont know much about the game of cricket

tell me anyone who hates Misbah, I again say nobody hates Misbah in test cricket.

He right now one of best batsman that Pakistan have got in test cricket.

i guess this loss was all because of misbah too, he should have opened the batting and scored 500 and then he should have opened the bowling and taken 7 wickets :afridi

Misbah averages above 40 in ODI cricket and brings stability to the batting. Dropping him would mean that Pakistan might score 300 once in a while but most of the time they would be dismissed for les than 150. Until you guys find his replacement, don't ask for him to be dropped and no, Azhar is not his replacement.

Misbah averages above 40 in ODI cricket and brings stability to the batting. Dropping him would mean that Pakistan might score 300 once in a while but most of the time they would be dismissed for les than 150. Until you guys find his replacement, don't ask for him to be dropped and no, Azhar is not his replacement.

in LOI cricket, he doesn't bring stability.

He puts breaks on the innings which cannot be restored. Take the last ODI for example. Against India, he consumed 82 balls for his 39, and doing what he always does best, throw his wicket away in the end.

He batted for 82 balls with a strike rate of mid 40s chasing a meager 160. Regardless of the situation in which he came to bat, that is terrible effort.

Had he batted with a strike rate of in the 60s which is bad in itself but still, it would have result in us winning the match. There wasn't an excuse for him not get a 50 for 80 balls chasing 160.

He has as many brain farts as any other batsman in the team but his brain farts come after batting for 20 overs at a terrible strike rate, completely killing the momentum of the innings.

Doing tuk tuk for 80 balls and not throwing your wicket isn't stabilizing the innings, what M Hussey does for instance is what you call stabilizing the innings. or for a recent example, Younis' effort in the first ODI.

Re: Why is so much negativity administered to Misbah-ul-Haq?

This explains it all in a nut shell. ....

^

That's a very absurd argument.

How many ODI have we won under the brilliant stable approach of Misbah against the top teams? We lost to SL in SL, Aus in UAE, were whipped by England in UAE, played very poorly in Bangladesh. The only saving grace was the 4-1 win over SL in UAE 2 years back.
I don't really see the point in a 4 match trophy like Asia cup where we were soundly beaten by India and just managed to hold of Bangladesh.

Misbah was one of the flops against India who had no contribution with the bat in all 3 games and was responsible to a very large extent for our defeat in the 3rd ODI.

Misbah has been a minnow basher in LOI as captain and has a good average because of his selfish approach.

Taking up 80 deliveries and scoring 39 runs while chasing 160 would surely make your average look good but won't benefit the team at all. Thankfully he has been dropped from T20s I'm sure he had other ideas about that and his time is up in ODIs as well.

Should stick to Tests for a couple of years.

what kind of stability he brings in ODI at a strike rate of 60 in last four years. There is no justification for a strike rate of 60 in last four year, whoever tries to defend is a blind fanboy.

KP has more strike rate in test cricket than Misbah in ODI for last four year

what kind of stability he brings in ODI at a strike rate of 60 in last four years. There is no justification for a strike rate of 60 in last four year, whoever tries to defend is a blind fanboy.

Especially for a number 5/6 batsman who needs to make quick runs at the death. All top 5/6 batsmen have high strike rates, that is a necessity.

Dude I said KP strike rate in Test is more than Misbah in ODI in last four years.

I know that man! wasn't criticizing you. Just said it in general.

Comparing those two in any manner when it comes to batting is like comparing a Ferrari to a Suzuki. KP is miles better and I just added to what you said.

Misbah needs to be thrown out of the ODI side because there is no respect left otherwise he would himself realised that he is not good enough to be in ODI side. He just continuing for himself, not for the team

People confuse the meaning of stability.

What Dhoni does on regular basis in ODIs and what he did in the first ODI against Pakistan is stability. Soak up the pressure and then go for the kill.

Tuktuking your way till the end and throwing your wicket eventually at a strike rate of 60 after a 45-50 is NOT stability.

I would happy to have in side if has a strike around 75[that what you call stability] but a strike of 60 is NOT stability instead it is the definition of being crap.

I would happy to have in side if has a strike around 75[that what you call stability] but a strike of 60 is NOT stability instead it is the definition of being crap.

Not when you have a batting line up that would regularly get under a hundred every game without him. ...

If we can't find a replacement for dud like him in ODI, then God help us.

Tell me how many hundred has scored in his whole career, he mostly contributes like 40-45 that with a strike rate of 60. It not like he contribute big that the bring the whole total down substantially .

the thing is in the past he had 2 gears (1 and 6) and both were working fine with a good balance.

so he'll soak up pressure, not get out, score at 60 rate until last 10 overs or so when he could activate gear 6 to go for the kill.

now i dunno if its reflexes,age, form or what, seems like his gear 6 is having some transmission issues, and anytime he tries to activate that (or right before activating it) he gets out after having played the knock to soak pressure / avoid collapse, but not finishing things off, so leaving team in worse position and fans having this debate on why the negativity.

p.s. i feel we need to qualify this thread by making it for ODI only, clearly no intelligent cricketing analyst / fan can bash him for Tests.

He's a decent test player that is it.

If we can't find a replacement for dud like him in ODI, then God help us.

Tell me how many hundred has scored in his whole career, he mostly contributes like 40-45 that with a strike rate of 60. It not like he contribute big that the bring the whole total down substantially .

Focus on the weakest players...

No one can doubt his test ability, right now he is one of the best in Pakistan. We should only stick to ODI only

Misbah haters!!!!!!

126929.jpg

Even he is half decent[He is not actually] , there is no point of continuing a almost 39 year old because we got a WC2015 coming up in two years , don't think he can play at age 41 in ODI. Tendulkar, and Ponting left it , despite being great ODI players.

better invest on a Youth like Harris Sohail and others that will gain enough experience for WC2015.

Even he is half decent[He is not actually] , there is no point of continuing a almost 39 year old because we got a WC2015 coming up in two years , don't think he can play at age 41 in ODI. Tendulkar, and Ponting left it , despite being great ODI players.

better invest on a Youth like Harris Sohail and others that will gain enough experience for WC2015.

agree with you, but why hate on misbah only.... what about younis, he should be out of odi side first, look at his average over his ENTIRE ODI Career....

ideally i would have hafeez captain starting now, and have umar akmal + one of fawad / haris given consistent run for 10 ODIs at least (if not good, then go with someone else) if good, continue till world cup, so by the time we are playing 2015 wc we have a decent / mature / consistent / relatively young/fresh / better striking (surely above 3 can have better strike rates than younis/misbah) / better mix (would bring 1 or 2 lefties in lineup).

if only IQ could see the same....

I also want Younis Khan to be out of ODI side, as this thread is about Misbah that why I am mentioning Misbah only

Why does Misbah keep giving Umar Gul the new ball?

:gul has no idea how to bowl with the new ball. He always wastes the new ball and that makes life difficult for the whole team. Why wasn't :irfan selected to bowl with the new ball? At best :gul is just a good first change bowler that is about it. Not opening material at all.

Tanvir bowls regularly at that pace. :irfan should have been given the ball he would have bowled 140+ with ease.

Gave Gul the new ball and not Irfan who is very good with the ball and would have troubled the openers with bounce with the hard ball :facepalm:

And then people say he is a great captain. The sooner we get rid of this virus, the better.

Not sure what will Tanvir do but perhaps I wouldn't give him the new ball after he stayed on the pitch long enough to score 40 odd runs. He has a severe issue with Stamina at his age. Irfan must have been given the new ball to target the left hander Smith. It's quite simple.

If he is going to bowl at that pace how about getting the keeper up to the stumps.

I think I know what the new ball plan is. Tanvir bores them to sleep. Gulla picks up wickets at the other end. Brilliant.

This is bad captaincy from misbah. He was given all the credit for ENG white wash where as it was our bowlers who did the job. His captaincy is way over rated.

This is bad captaincy from misbah. He was given all the credit for ENG white wash where as it was our bowlers who did the job. His captaincy is way over rated.

He averaged mid 30's with the bat himself in that series. mediocre player who takes credit of the brilliance of others.

Gul is a 3rd or 4th seamer in tests there is no way he should be leading the bowling attack. He just doesn't have the patience or skill to play test matches it's all Amir and Asif's fault!!

Sorry but there is a management in place.

Dav Whatmore and Misbah work together

Sorry but there is a management in place.

Dav Whatmore and Misbah work together

Both are clueless. What has Whatmore achieved in the last 17 years?

1) Stint with Bangladesh. Winning a few odd games against good teams doesn't prove anything.

2) Failed stint with SL the second time round.

3) Failed stint in IPL

He is a Bangladesh level coach, He is a typical generic coach who has lost the ability to think out of the box. We need a younger coach with new innovative ideas.

Gull new ball

Umar Gull bowled well with new ball " Tanvir was the one who was poor !
New ball should have been Irfan and Gull ? who else could have taken it ?

Gave Gul the new ball and not Irfan who is very good with the ball and would have troubled the openers with bounce with the hard ball :facepalm:

And then people say he is a great captain. The sooner we get rid of this virus, the better.

Gul is a tried and tested player. ...

Irfan is not. ..

Clever captains usually go with tried and tested players...

Spin starts on day Four and five , I think captain is stuck , he should have noticed that Tanvir is poor and ajusted with Irfan and Gull and gave short rest to Gull ? he will end up over doing with spin?

I sincerely hope you were being sarcastic.

Facts.

That's what clever captains do...

New players need to prove themselves first. ...

Its all about probabilities. But you need to understand probabilities...

Facts.

That's what clever captains do...

New players need to prove themselves first. ...

Its all about probabilities. But you need to understand probabilities...

Misbah and clever = oxymoron.

Gul is a tried and tested failure with the new ball.

Irfan's strength lies in the new ball where he makes the hard ball bounce and kick off the pitch making it uncomfortable to play for the batsman. With the old ball he isn't effective as much.

Clever captains make strategic decisions.

Probably cos, despite how poor he is , often has a knack of getting wickets, be it strangling half the England side down leg or getting Smith to give a dolly to YK who shelled it.

Misbah and clever = oxymoron.

Gul is a tried and tested failure with the new ball.

Irfan's strength lies in the new ball where he makes the hard ball bounce and kick off the pitch making it uncomfortable to play for the batsman. With the old ball he isn't effective as much.

Clever captains make strategic decisions.

Misbah is one of the cleverest guys to play cricket for Pakistan.

Do u even watch him or do u get blinded by tuk tuk?

PS: I dont think he bought his MBA.

He makes very strategic decisions.

Irfan relies on bounce.
Tanvir swing
Gul a bit of both.

Currently
Gul is our best bowler
Irfan No 2
Tanvir no 3

(You could argue irfan will be better.... but currently there is no proof)

Net net on the basis of probabilities. .. you go with Gul and Tanvir. ..

Then change quickly to Irfan if those two are not being effective.

Sorry if that didn't fit in with your thoughts.....

But it's definitly what clever captains would do

Last edited:

Misbah is one of the cleverest guys to play cricket for Pakistan.

Do u even watch him or do u get blinded by tuk tuk?

PS: I dont think he bought his MBA.

He makes very strategic decisions.

Irfan relies on bounce.
Tanvir swing
Gul a bit of both.

Currently
Gul is our best bowler
Irfan No 2
Tanvir no 3

(You could argue irfan will be better.... but currently there is no proof)

Net net on the basis of probabilities. .. you go with Gul and Tanvir. ..

Then change quickly to Irfan if those two are not being effective.

Sorry if that didn't fit in with your thoughts.....

But it's definitly what clever captains would do

Gul can't swing the bo

The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread [Merged]

He can. .. but agree he mainly relies on seam.

You are confusing conventional swing with reverse swing. Gul has always been poor with the new ball and can't make it swing. But he has the ability to reverse the old ball.

Re: The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread [Merged]

You are confusing conventional swing with reverse swing. Gul has always been poor with the new ball and can't make it swing. But he has the ability to reverse the old ball.

Nope.

He is an expert with reverse swing but can sometimes swing the new ball.

Not an expert by any means.

The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread [Merged]

Nope.

He is an expert with reverse swing but can sometimes swing the new ball.

Not an expert by any means.

sometimes all bowlers can because the new ball has the tendency to swing. How often one does it matters most. He wastes the new ball ever so often.

Back