The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread

Re: The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread [Merged]

sometimes all bowlers can because the new ball has the tendency to swing. How often one does it matters most. He wastes the new ball ever so often.

His sometimes is still more than most.

Junaid genuinely swings it. .. but I think Gul took more wickets in the first test unless I'm mistaken.

Its as simple as this:

Gul is not a new ball bowler. He's an old ball bowler. Irfan is a new ball bowler.

Misbah gave Gul the new ball, Irfan was given the old ball.

I don't think I've criticised him much if not at all in test cricket so far but today he has been very disappointing. Didn't bring in Hafeez early enough, persisted too much with Gul and the field settings have been too defensive most of the time.

Its seriously amazing how much people over rate captaincy in cricket. The captain is as good as the bowler. Misbah was not amazing yesterday and he wasnt really poor today. Very few captains are big game changers.

Misbah is a pathetic defensive captain.

A rich man's Mohammad Yousaf (as captain of course. not even 1% of him as a batsman).

Its seriously amazing how much people over rate captaincy in cricket. The captain is as good as the bowler. Misbah was not amazing yesterday and he wasnt really poor today. Very few captains are big game changers.

The captaincy wasn't amazing yesterday. It was amazing in the first innings of the first test though. But it was poor today.

In some respects the captain is as good as the bowlers but it's the captains job to assess the situation and adapt by changing bowlers and fields.

So Imran Khan just got lucky because he had great bowlers to work with, eh?

So Imran Khan just got lucky because he had great bowlers to work with, eh?

Well I didn't say that, Imran was clearly an exception. Honestly though what if he didnt have Wasim in 1992?

Imran was above all a leader by example. A lot of Pakistans success was just because of him as a player alone.

Anyways, keep living in a dream world where Misbah would have even 10% the success if Ajmal wasn't so good.

I actually disagree, importance of how good the captain is is way underrated. Anyone who's been a manager in a fast-paced working environment would agree.

I actually disagree, importance of how good the captain is is way underrated. Anyone who's been a manager in a fast-paced working environment would agree.

True that is why negativity of Misbah has spread like a disease throughout the team.

I don't think I've criticised him much if not at all in test cricket so far but today he has been very disappointing. Didn't bring in Hafeez early enough, persisted too much with Gul and the field settings have been too defensive most of the time.

Hafeez doesn't like bowling. ...

I remember a game recently where Hafeez was captain in an LOI have and he didn't use himself

Poor captaincy. Extremely defensive captaincy where a struggling Elgar was allowed easy singles down to long on against Ajmal.

Poor captaincy. Extremely defensive captaincy where a struggling Elgar was allowed easy singles down to long on against Ajmal.

Its not poor captaincy.

Its poor bowlers.

Only mistake was not bringing on Hafeez earlier to lefties.

Hafeez doesn't like bowling. ...

I remember a game recently where Hafeez was captain in an LOI have and he didn't use himself

I don't buy that argument. You like to keep pointing to that game but at the end of the day it is just one T20 game. Hafeez has opened the bowling before in all 3 formats and bowled in tough circumstances at times. Today was actually a relatively easy situation (bowling against tail).

Either way, Misbah is the captain and if he wanted Hafeez to bowl, he would have bowled.

Misbah sets the fields.

He put the fielders back from ball 1.

That allowed AB to settle in.

AB cashed in :)

AB was batting in the middle overs when there isn't much to help the bowlers.

AB is more attacking so with that combo u have to balance.

The field positions were fine.

The real problem was the bowling by the seamers was atrocious.

Oh and AB was dropped on 37 by Shafiq.

I don't buy that argument. You like to keep pointing to that game but at the end of the day it is just one T20 game. Hafeez has opened the bowling before in all 3 formats and bowled in tough circumstances at times. Today was actually a relatively easy situation (bowling against tail).

Either way, Misbah is the captain and if he wanted Hafeez to bowl, he would have bowled.

Agree that final call is with Misbah. .. like I said that was a blunder on Misbahs part.

Well I didn't say that, Imran was clearly an exception. Honestly though what if he didnt have Wasim in 1992?

Imran was above all a leader by example. A lot of Pakistans success was just because of him as a player alone.

Anyways, keep living in a dream world where Misbah would have even 10% the success if Ajmal wasn't so good.

Misbah won the series in NZ without Ajmal, that was our first series win outside home in several years. He also drew the series against South Africa at home and Ajmal didn't do well in that series.

You can say what you want but the facts have come ot from the mouths of the players themselves. Did you read Hafeez's interview in which he praises Misbah and says that all the guys want to win matches for him?

Is it a coincedence that ever since Misbah has become captain, no controversy whatsoever has come out of the Pakistani camp?

Superb bowlers definitely make the job of a captain easier but saying that Misbah wouldn't even have '10%' of his success without Ajmal is absurd. Salman Butt, Shahid Afridi and MoYo all had Ajmal in their ranks, along with Amir, Asif and Akhtar but we all know how that turned out right?

Misbah won the series in NZ without Ajmal, that was our first series win outside home in several years. He also drew the series against South Africa at home and Ajmal didn't do well in that series.

You can say what you want but the facts have come ot from the mouths of the players themselves. Did you read Hafeez's interview in which he praises Misbah and says that all the guys want to win matches for him?

Is it a coincedence that ever since Misbah has become captain, no controversy whatsoever has come out of the Pakistani camp?

Superb bowlers definitely make the job of a captain easier but saying that Misbah wouldn't even have '10%' of his success without Ajmal is absurd. Salman Butt, Shahid Afridi and MoYo all had Ajmal in their ranks, along with Amir, Asif and Akhtar but we all know how that turned out right?

You do realize that this is currently NZ worst phase in this cricketing history right? We couldnt even beat the WI in WI even though they are at their weakest at this point in time? Yeah he drew the series against SA at home, what did he do now in SA? Aamir Sohail has captained Pak to a test match win in SA, Inzamam has captained Pak to a test match win in SA?

Doesnt Misbah have the authority on team selection? Wasnt it his decision to pick Rahat, Tanvir and drop Irfan for the first test match? If Ajmal didnt deliver in UAE, Misbah's captaincy would have been exposed and inspite of having Ajmal he doesnt use him as an attacking option, doesnt give him attacking fields.

Stop making excuses for the most cowardly, unmanly cricketer we have ever produced.

Misbah is a captain who likes to sit back and let the game unfold, this works when you are in familiar conditions but when you are out of your comfort zone or playing a stronger team you have to think outside the box.

AB was batting in the middle overs when there isn't much to help the bowlers.

AB is more attacking so with that combo u have to balance.

The field positions were fine.

The real problem was the bowling by the seamers was atrocious.

Oh and AB was dropped on 37 by Shafiq.
I think AB was dropped by Azhar:
68.3 Umar Gul to de Villiers, no run, Dropped by Azhar at gully! This was short and a touch wide, de Villiers wanted to run that past third man, ended up slicing it and Azhar moved to his right and got his hands behind the ball but it popped out

Misbah is a captain who likes to sit back and let the game unfold, this works when you are in familiar conditions but when you are out of your comfort zone or playing a stronger team you have to think outside the box.

Nope he is a captain who just likes others to do the job for him where he doesnt have to work hard, use his brain. I am glad this tour has exposed him for what he is.

Nope he is a captain who just likes others to do the job for him where he doesnt have to work hard, use his brain. I am glad this tour has exposed him for what he is.

Richie Benaud once said “Captaincy is 90 per cent luck and 10 per cent skill. It's anyone's guess what Misbah is missing, you can say that luck played a part but then again Misbah's captaincy was underwhelming to say the least in this match, baffling bowling changes as well.

After Imran Khan, Rashid joins in saying Misbah is selfish as does Nadeem Khan...

I am sure there are many many others who think that Misbah is a selfish captain and a selfish batsman.
He is trying to groome a team of selfish players.
His deputy, Hafeez is as selfish as him, Azhar Ali is also following well...

Silly decision by Misbah to review this decision against Amla. Amla is a walker and he would have walked if he hit it.

-Mediocre on field captain.

-Poor at leading by example.

-Negative influence on other batsman.

-Never really takes responsibility.

-Worst selector, picks TTFs and seniors.

-Has incurable seniority/tuk tuk complex.

Pak Rankings:

T20s 6th ODIs 6th Tests 5th

Best batsmen:

LOIs: Malik, Akmal, Nasir Jamshed, Asad Shafiq
Tests: Younis and Asad (+Azhar)

What's the point of the defensive ''senior-keeping'' attitude for the sake of winning when we have such pathetic results?
What point is Gul, Misbah, YK (in LOs), Hafeez, Kamran Akmal or Farhat's experience when all we can achieve is 6/6/5 and our best players are the younger ones?

Been a very good captain for us but failed like all the others in this series. Hopefully he'll lead us to our maiden series win against the Windies and win us the home series against the Saffers.

He really has to stop letting friendships and loyalties get in the way of selecting, though. Malik, Afridi, Younis and Farhat should be dropped from ODIs for teh betterment of the team. Although if he does drop them, he won't last a day as captain or player.

Pak Rankings:

T20s 6th ODIs 6th Tests 5th

Best batsmen:

LOIs: Malik, Akmal, Nasir Jamshed, Asad Shafiq
Tests: Younis and Asad (+Azhar)

What's the point of the defensive ''senior-keeping'' attitude for the sake of winning when we have such pathetic results?
What point is Gul, Misbah, YK (in LOs), Hafeez, Kamran Akmal or Farhat's experience when all we can achieve is 6/6/5 and our best players are the younger ones?

Look at our results for the past two and a half years to get your answer. One series loss against a mighty team does not make our seniors useless.

Look at our results for the past two and a half years to get your answer. One series loss against a mighty team does not make our seniors useless.

Can u list out the good results from the bad results?

Every second of the series was defensive from pakistani side , still pakistan does not have a better option (salman butt is banned and is a fixer)

Can u list out the good results from the bad results?

3-0 whitewash of England pretty much balances out this series, although I was talking about the performances of our seniors over the past two years, Misbah and Younis both averaged over 60, way higher than any youngster.

Before this series, our rankings were:

6th 6th 4th

Unachievable by a team without Misbah/Farhat/Hafeez/Gul? I don't think so.

He is best captain material you got. After all a team is as good as players playing it. If you get similar beating by Aussies and English in their home yard , I think that will be time to worry.

As Misbah's captaincy is now fully and brutally exposed, all those Iron cats and clay pigeons and paper ducks and plastic chickens are no where to be seen.

LOL.. The Biggest LOOSER.. Please Step away from Pakistan Team.. You are ruining the players with ur Tuck Tuck and Defensive mentalitty

Shocking decision to go into the match with only 2 seamers. Especially after the whitewash against England.

dont seen anything wrong.... our strength is spin bowling these days... third inexperienced seamer would have been thrashed by their batsmen as well. just like the more experienced Junaid and Gul were.

Akmal should have been played in place of Malik... thats a major blunder there... perhaps it might be for other reasons known to team management..

his field placements have always been awfull ever since.. so that will stay the same in this series as well.

Yet another Defensive decision by removing ajmal who was causing danger when their best 2 batsmen are there.

Never rated his guy and never would.Why would you bowl first after winning the toss?We cant even chase 180.Pathetic captain.

Allowing AB to get set by bowling Malik and Hafeez at him. He will later cash in on Ajmal and co.

This is what happens when you pack out your team with spinners. It happened against england and it'll happen again here

hate this lulloo with a passion....dropping irfan to play his buddy Afridi...the sooner u leave pak cricket the better for us ....u are a cancer

gotta love the misbah mentality..... if two world class spinners can't do the job then pick two more over the hill spinners for a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous

Lads remember....... misbah understands the power of dot balls....... we are in for a treat!

SA rest their strike bowlers and play upcoming guys who are hungry to prove themselves......... brainbox misbah neuters our pace attack (drops Irfan), guarantees SA safe passage in the middle with 6 runs per over (afridi and malik) and thus destroys any threat ajmal could pose - masterstroke of captaincy - sign me up for his memoirs on great captaincy!!!!

any way these messages can be passed on to Misbah so he can see what a lulloo he is and hopefully leave after realising the hate there is for how he has ruined pak cricket

he has transformed the bowling attack to mirror his batting - boring and defensive

There is more life in a dead battery, it is so listless out there, no energy from anyone in the park the captian has been awful. It seems they have other things on their mind to be honest, perhaps concerns about their future, and if your Misbah, Younis, Malik, Afridi then you should be.

We need an exodus of players similar to that after the world cup in 2003 to resuscitate Pak team back to life.

For now though too much dead weight.

Why would u remove your best bowler when he has taken a wicket of smith, only bowled 2 overs at that time and when they have 2 new batsman on the crease? Bizzare discison by misbah

why Misbah opted to bowl on such a nice batting wicket on a lovely sunny day?

I mean as it is Pakistan are not good at chasing and the conditions never looked like it's better chasing.

The Misbah-ul-Haq Captaincy Analysis Thread [Merged]

Great choice by Misbah to bowl first, paid off..

Look he is at fault.. his mind set is for tests.. for first t20 SAF believed that pitch gets better at centurions in the 2nd innings still Pak opted for batting first as we all know our batting is vulnerable so what's the point of opting for batting 2nd?

I hope we win this one otherwise i will lose hope for remaining 4 ODI's

Misbah is one worst captain to lead us in ODI, he has no clue how to lead a ODI side.

His ODI captaincy is getting worse, if that was possible.

From team selection to fields to bowling changes, awful stuff today.

Didnt watch too much of the first innings so wont comment on the fields etc BUT the team selection was a joke. 4 spinners in South Africa?!?!!?!!? :)) ludicrous.

Secondly after selecting 4 spinners you win the toss and BOWL first?

Some crazy thinking today.

Should have been banished from the ODI team after Mohali. Choosing someone who displayed such abject surrender - in the worst possible way by playing test-match like - as your ODI captain...that is insane.

I don't usually criticize Misbah but he was a joke of a captain today. One of the worst team selections I have ever seen.

Phattoo guy played the most useless middle order one could imagine for an ODI side, and when was the last time he put any faith in youth. Again and again we see ttf chachas like Malik, Afridi and Younis

His ODI captaincy is getting worse, if that was possible.

From team selection to fields to bowling changes, awful stuff today.

Totally agree. He wasn't too bad an ODI captain during 2011 but his captaincy in ODIs these days is just :facepalm:

Misbah and YK must be dropped from ODIs. We have to move forward. A middle order of Misbah, YK, malik followed by afridi is just killing pakistan's present and future.

Back