The Official 'How long will Misbah last' Thread

Square Drive

Test Star
Runs
So PPers, the title says it all. How long do you guys think Misbah will play for Pakistan?

I reckon he can play for another 2 good years, since he is as fit as a 25-year-old. And if Dravid and Tendu can play, then why not Misbah? Plus, Misbah even provides stability and experience to the team, and the team is even united behind him. So what do you guys think?

Discuss.

P.S. Mods, please add a poll. Thanks. :) (Suggested options: 1-2 months, 3-6 months, 7-12 months, 1-2 years, 2 years+).

:misbah

I think this issue is on the minds of a lot of people these days. Misbah is supposedly 37... but seeing the way he plays, I guess you are right. Two years does sound doable, but he needs to keep his batting form intact. The minute the captain begins to lose their position in the team, trouble begins. Misbah should only be captain as long as he is scoring runs for Pakistan.

He could play till the age of 50 :misbah

Even at the age of 37, his fielding is very good, and dives like a beast

its clear OP wants to send misbah as early as possible. Pakistan is only team in the world whose fans are team's worst enemy.

its clear OP wants to send misbah as early as possible. Pakistan is only team in the world whose fans are team's worst enemy.

Hahaha True true buddy, like a snobby girl friend, pakistani fans are never satisfied :yk

as long as he is fit he can stay as long as he likes...Imran played into his early 40s, can't see why the Quaid cannot do the same.

he can play for another 3 years. No reason why he can't play till 40, same as Younis khan

WTH?! Why do you think that?

I do NOT think that, I just made this thread to see PPers' opinions about how long Misbah lasts, not their opinions of what I think. Seriously.

I personally want Misbah to last for another 4-5 years, but he's 37, which makes this an interesting topic to discuss on.

And P.S., I love Pakistan and I will always support it. :pkflag

Play till World Cup 2015, or until end of 2013 to give the new captain time to settle down. I prefer he stay fit and in form and plays in the World Cup.

i think misbah could play for another 3 years hes still very fit probably the 3rd most fit player after younis and umar gul. I think pak still needs to groom his successor, should start now so when misbah does step down then we have a ready made replacement . the professor is my ideal choice to replace misbah when he steps down

Misbah can continue in tests for 2-3 years.

ODIs he should retire so he can focus on Tests (Hafeez should be given captaincy)

Right now he is doing well, and is in good shape. He should play until he is able to play at the international level, for batsmen late 30s 37, 38, 39 the reflexes start to get slower and the end starts to near.

He is doing a good job, unless he has 2 bad series in a row, I would keep him around.

I'd recon he has 2-3 years left in him.

Misbah has never had fitness issues IIRC. I think he can be there for next 3 years, unless he gets dropped.

LOL he's still here.

Only difference between today and a year, or 2 years, or 3+ years ago is that we don't need him anymore.

His fans will cling onto him, but him and Younis will be A-grade liabilities in England.

Azhar Ali is going to be the captain for West Indies series. The England series is going to be last for Misbah

Honestly should've retired by now. hopefully he gets a good sending off. It wouldn't surprise me if he does stay all the way until the end of the Australia tour like the PCB requested that he would. I don't have that much of an issue with him going to England though. We need a cool head like him there after the 2006 and 2010 debacles.

Think he'll last till the Australian tour if the next 4 tests aren't a disaster. We don't have better replacements and frankly I don't set much to store by all the inane ageist arguments. If you're good enough you should be in the team.

Are we talking about his cricketing skills and reflexes ?

Well, they're currently one of the best - he has better defence, reflexes and the ability to bat under pressure than our youngster bats.

Most recently, we saw him under lights playing the pink ball in a 4-day FC final. He was the stand-out performer where youngsters failed. Must've been a challenge to face the pink moving ball under lights.

He should at least play the Australian Test series where we'll be highly dependent on him. Pink ball, day/night test, tactics and all.

HE SHOULD HAD RETIRED 3 YEARS AGO, JUST DRAGGING AND BLOCKING AN OTHER PLAYERS CHANCE. If we waiting for a suitable replacement for him, then we are still waiting one for Imran Khan, Wasim Akram , Waqar and Miandad.

If he fails in the England series wouldn't be surprised if he retired after that.

Done well in tests

BUT!!!

In ODIs as skipper and batsman, his passive direction has taken us to 9th in the ODI rankings.

Overall, for this reason his presence has cost Pakistan dearly going forward and has dragged us into a mess in which the current crop (a team in transition) are suddenly expected to fix...

Misbah's character is going to be tested in the England series.

Waiting for it to unfold.

So much hate for such a great captain :facepalm:

Misbah is one of the main reasons behind Pakistan's recent success in test arena.

As a captain he brings commitment and responsibilitiy to the table unlike some other SHUPERESTARS :afridi

I think he should play for 2-3 more years and retire gracefully.

Should retire on a high. If we do well against England he should retire then otherwise he should retire after we beat West Indies

Done well in tests

BUT!!!

In ODIs as skipper and batsman, his passive direction has taken us to 9th in the ODI rankings.

Overall, for this reason his presence has cost Pakistan dearly going forward and has dragged us into a mess in which the current crop (a team in transition) are suddenly expected to fix...

Yep...it is all Misbah's fault that Pak cricket is lacking talent and direction :facepalm:

Should have retired after his last test match and allowed to groom a successor. His legacy has a strong chance of being tarnished. Perhaps the England tour is the last one.
The only problem with his retiring is that there is a severely immature batsman in the line up who will be difficult to manage for the next captain.

It all depends on his PSL form. Personally, I still think he's a terrific batsman who just had a bad outing in Oceania - something very much possible for any batsman in the world. Anyone remember Kohli's atrocious series in England? People are just targeting Misbah because he's 42.

Back