The Ryan Giggs Thread

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
I've always admired Giggs, a good professional who week in, week out has performed superbly for Man Utd. An entertainer who excites the crowd with his mazy runs.

500 appearances for Man Utd says a lot about this guy - well done Giggsy :14:

Last edited:
He has performed quite brilliantly this season and has been with United for a long, long time. As good a left winger is any. Some of his runs down the left wing over the past few years, have been nothing short of legendary.

A class player, he has had the chance to play for inter milan and real madrid but has always stayed loyal to man utd.

Delivers the goods season in season out, does not seek the limelight.

A model pro.

Last edited:
He's proved lots of people wrong (including myself) who said he was finished. Credit to him for lasting so many years at the highest level.

A truly great player. At his peak one of the best left sided midfielders in the world.

That goal he scored in the semi-final of the FA cup against Arsenal will always be remembered as one of the great goals.

Last edited:
Even though im a Arsenal supporter, i still think Giggsy is a good player and was a fantastic midfielder in his time. :)

Jameel said:
He's proved lots of people wrong (including myself) who said he was finished. Credit to him for lasting so many years at the highest level.

well it did seem like he was on a downward spiral BUT he has been playing brilliantly lately - has proved a lot of ppl wrong.

He is just a glory hunter. That is why he choose to play at Man U. That goal vs Arsenal? He didn't do it for Man U but for glory. And than on top of that he thinks he is all that since people claiming him to be good this season? Must be all that glory getting to his head again.

Damn Giggsy and his glory hunter @$$!

Amir said:
He is just a glory hunter. That is why he choose to play at Man U. That goal vs Arsenal? He didn't do it for Man U but for glory. And than on top of that he thinks he is all that since people claiming him to be good this season? Must be all that glory getting to his head again.

Damn Giggsy and his glory hunter @$$!

Amir dont give up the day job :19:

I wonder if after retiring he will regret not playing in Spain or Italy?

Saj said:
I wonder if after retiring he will regret not playing in Spain or Italy?

maybe a small part of him will BUT only a small part - he loves playing for man-u and aslong as he stays here til he retires im sure he will be chuffed as owt

Geordie Ahmed said:
Amir dont give up the day job :19:

In all honesty, I would be surprised if anyone would hire you.

Amir said:
In all honesty, I would be surprised if anyone would hire you.

well somebody did - they also happen to be one of the most profitable construction companies in the UK :19:
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=885286
Listen Amir its clear you have some issues cos i can sense the animosity, perhaps the glory seeker comments have gotten to you, i dont know

anyhow the point is, this bickering is a little childish so to put an end to it i apologise - if you have been offended by anything i have said then all i can truly say that wasnt my intention, i still disagree with your post about Mourinho BUT let bygones be bygones :19:

Although I dont follow the premier leauge much anymore, back in the day he was one of my favourite players. At his best, one of the best midfielders going around and a great servent for Man U.

Geordie Ahmed said:
well somebody did - they also happen to be one of the most profitable construction companies in the UK :19:
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=885286
Listen Amir its clear you have some issues cos i can sense the animosity, perhaps the glory seeker comments have gotten to you, i dont know

anyhow the point is, this bickering is a little childish so to put an end to it i apologise - if you have been offended by anything i have said then all i can truly say that wasnt my intention, i still disagree with your post about Mourinho BUT let bygones be bygones :19:

You can sense some animosity? Yes, you know the glory hunter comments have got to me. I don't care if you agree with my opinion with Mourinho. Alot of people don't agree with my opinions, that does not make me mad. I have been saying it all along. First I didn't care and quietly I would tell people why I am not a glory hunter. Yet people persisted. Well, if you want to persist, than I will fight fire with fire.

And I agree its childish and I am sorry it had to come to this. I also apologize for my behaviour and I do not dislike Newcastle as much as it seems. I rather them win the UEFA cup than some other Euro league team.

Bygones shall be Bygones.

the legend goes on..

What a bump! :)

4.5 years after this thread was created...and he's still, on most days, the best United player! Sir Ryan truly is an Ageless Wonder.

Not just a legend and a genius but a one-man institution. :14: :14:

Praised in very glowing terms just recently by another genius, Spain and Barca's lynch-pin, Xavi himself.

As written elsewhere, and I quote:

"Good for young Wayne Rooney to be able to watch a genuine Great in action from very close up.

If Wayne works hard, learns from his elders, keeps his head down and stays out of trouble on and off the pitch, then he has a very good chance of one day becoming almost half as good as Sir Ryan Giggs is on an off day. "​

Last edited:
What a player, and what a man. Best United player over the last 20 years as a whole. Model professional, humble and down to earth and never in the headlines for the wrong reasons.

He just seems to be getting better and better with age and I'm delighted he has signed another contract extension.

I can see Giggs going on for another 2 seasons atleast. United will struggle to replace him when he does hang up his boots though.

I can see Giggs going on for another 2 seasons atleast. United will struggle to replace him when he does hang up his boots though.

Giggs cannot be replaced as it will be impossible to find someone who can be as good as Giggs consistently for 10 seasons, let alone 20+ seasons.

Having said that, although it would cost £35m+, I think Gareth Bale would be a perfect addition to the squad. He is young, has amazing ability and would fit in nicely. I just wish we had got him from Southampton when we had the chance.

Manager Ryan Giggs will not be involved in Wales' three matches in November, with assistant Robert Page taking charge of the team.

Giggs has denied an allegation of assault made against him.

The 46-year-old was arrested on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend, several newspapers have reported.

"The Football Association of Wales and Ryan Giggs have mutually agreed that he will not be involved in the upcoming international camp," the FAW said.

Wales will now announce their squad for games against the United States, the Republic of Ireland and Finland on Thursday.

"Our agreed immediate priority is preparing the team for the upcoming international matches," the governing body's statement added.

"Robert Page, with Ryan's support, will take charge for the next three matches against the USA, Republic of Ireland and Finland, supported by Albert Stuivenberg.

"The FAW will not be making any further comment at this current time."

Wales have a friendly against the USA at Swansea's Liberty Stadium on 12 November.

They then host the Republic of Ireland at the Cardiff City Stadium on 15 November in the first of two Nations League games, with Finland visiting the Welsh capital on 18 November.

Giggs' representatives said he denies all allegations of assault made against him and is co-operating with the police.

The FAW cancelled a news conference planned for Tuesday, where Giggs had been due to announce his squad.

Wales manager Ryan Giggs has been charged with causing actual bodily harm to a woman in her 30s and common assault of a woman in her 20s.

Wales manager Ryan Giggs has been charged with causing actual bodily harm to a woman in her 30s and common assault of a woman in her 20s.

Seems to be someone who doesnt know how to behave when hes around women

Former Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs will go on trial at Manchester Crown Court on January 24 next year accused of assaulting and coercively controlling his ex-girlfriend.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/trial-former-manchester-united-player-giggs-delayed-until-august-2022-01-18/

The trial of former Manchester United soccer player Ryan Giggs has been delayed to August 8 due to a lack of court space, the BBC reported after a hearing on Tuesday.

The former Wales national manager is charged with controlling and coercive behaviour and assault against his ex-girlfriend and her sister. The trial at Manchester Crown Court had been due to start on Jan. 24.

Giggs, 48, has pleaded not guilty to all charges and remains on bail.

"Unfortunately it has become necessary to vacate this trial from the list," the BBC quoted Judge Hilary Manley as saying. "The reason for this is because there is not a court available to accommodate this trial.

"Due to the large backlog of court cases, which has been exacerbated by the pandemic and the need for social distancing, this is a situation which is a daily reality for the criminal courts."

Giggs' lawyer said his client was "extremely disappointed".

The former player was charged last April when a magistrate's court heard a prosecutor read out a summary of charges including that he struck Kate Greville with a "deliberate headbutt".

He was first arrested in the case and released on bail in Nov. 2020.

Giggs made 963 appearances over 23 years for Manchester United as a player, a club record, winning a haul of honours including 13 Premier League winner's medals and two UEFA Champions League winner's medals.

He represented Wales as a player 64 times between 1991 and 2007 and took over as national coach in 2018.

Ryan Giggs is set to face trial today accused of attacking and controlling his ex-girlfriend and assaulting her sister.

The former Manchester United footballer is alleged to have used controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville between August 2017 and November 2020.

He is also charged with assaulting Ms Greville, 36, and causing her actual bodily harm, as well as the common assault of her younger sister, Emma Greville, at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on 1 November 2020.

Giggs has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The 48-year-old was due to face trial in January, but the hearing was put back due to the ongoing backlog of court cases exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 10-day trial is due to begin on Monday at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court before it transfers to Manchester Crown Court on Tuesday for the remainder of the proceedings.

Arrangements for the case were finalised on Thursday after Manchester Crown Court had to close due to testing for asbestos.

Giggs stood down as manager of the Wales national football team in June following a period of leave since November 2020.

In a statement, he said he did not want the country's preparations for this year's World Cup in Qatar to be "affected, destabilised or jeopardised in any way by the continued interest around this case".

During Giggs' time at Old Trafford, Manchester United won 13 Premier League titles, two Champions League trophies, four FA Cups and three League Cups.

He won 64 caps for Wales and is co-owner of League Two side Salford City.

SKY

'Sinister side' to Ryan Giggs, prosecutor says

Peter Wright QC is opening the prosecution's case in the trial of Ryan Giggs.

He says Giggs is 48 years old and a former professional footballer who played for Manchester United and Wales.

"He was idolised, and still is, by his adoring fans and supporters," Mr Wright says.

The prosecutor says Giggs's skills on the pitch were a "thing of beauty" but off the pitch he had a "much uglier and sinister side to his character".

Mr Wright says there was a "litany of abuse, both physical and pyschological, of a woman he professed to love".

The barrister adds there was "systematic and, at times, violent abuse" and claims Giggs preyed on Kate Greville's "vulnerabilities for his own gratification".

"This is a story of control and coercian," he adds.

Witnesses in Dubai and London to give evidence at Giggs trial

The judge in the trial of Ryan Giggs is explaining to the jury how evidence will be heard in the case.

She says a video will be played to the court showing Kate Greville - the complainant in the case - when she was interviewed by a police officer.

Ms Greville will then be cross-examined in court, the judge says.

Separately, one witness in the trial will give evidence via video link from Dubai and another will give evidence via video link from London, the jury was told.

Judge issues warning to jurors in Giggs trial

Judge Hilary Manley is addressing jurors in the trial of Ryan Giggs and warns them not to discuss the case with other people.

She tells them "there must be no chatting about the case on Facebook, WhatsApp" or any other social media platform.

The judge describes Giggs as a "well-known public figure" and notes there has been media coverage of the case.

"You will be careful not to be influenced by news reports," she tells the jurors.

SKY

Ex-Manchester Utd and Wales star Ryan Giggs "deliberately headbutted" his ex-girlfriend, a court has heard.

Mr Giggs, 48, denies a charge of coercive behaviour and assaulting his ex-girlfriend and her sister.

Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, told the court Mr Giggs' relationship with Kate Greville, 36, was "punctuated by acts of violence and volatility".

He said Mr Giggs' private life involved a "litany of abuse, both physical and psychological".

Mr Giggs is charged with controlling and coercive behaviour against his ex-girlfriend Ms Greville between August 2017 and November 2020.

He is also charged with assaulting Ms Greville, causing her actual bodily harm, and common assault of her younger sister, Emma Greville, at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on 1 November 2020.

'Much uglier and more sinister'

Opening his case against Mr Giggs at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, Mr Wright said this was a story of "control and coercion" of a woman who thought she was "loved and respected".

He said Mr Giggs was "idolised" for his skills on the pitch but behind closed doors had "a much uglier and more sinister side to his character".

He told the jury they will hear the relationship had "ups and downs" and that Mr Giggs was seeing someone else when he was with Ms Greville.

"Eventually, after years of turbulence, when the scales fell from her eyes, she realised she needed to remove herself from his sphere of influence," he said.

Mr Wright said this decision to break away led to the incident on 1 November 2020.

Mr Giggs is said to have "lost control" that evening and headbutted Ms Greville.

While both out with friends at Manchester's Stock Exchange Hotel, Ms Greville decided to terminate their relationship, said Mr Wright.

He added Ms Greville knew Mr Giggs had "once again" been cheating on her, and informed her sister of her plan to end the relationship before leaving the hotel.

"She intended to make her departure before [Mr Giggs] got back from the hotel. The plan did not work.

"As she was vacating the defendant's home address, he came back and began arguing with her and trying to stop her leaving."

'Deliberately headbutted'

In the altercation that followed, in which Ms Greville took Mr Giggs phone as a "bargaining chip", they grappled together on the floor before Ms Greville's sister stepped in, the court heard.

Mr Wright said Emma Greville then tried to pull Mr Giggs off her sister, but he "deliberately elbowed her in the jaw", before the argument moved to the kitchen.

"At that stage, we say, the defendant entirely lost self-control and he deliberately headbutted Kate, thereby causing swelling to her lips and bruising. Emma then called the police, who attended the premises."

'Gaslight her, and make her compliant'

Mr Wright said the abuse from Mr Giggs was "interspersed with acts of kindness and contrition", and Mr Giggs would say she had misunderstood him, had jumped to the wrong conclusion and that he was the victim.

"We say this was controlling and coercive behaviour," he said.

"This was a behaviour to gaslight her, and make her pliant and compliant."

He said the behaviour was "calculated", and was "conduct that would have an obvious and serious effect on her emotionally and physically".

Ryan Giggs' former manager Sir Alex Ferguson, and teammate Gary Neville will be witnesses in the case, the jury was told
Addressing the jury for Mr Giggs' defence, Chris Daw QC said on a "moral level" his behaviour was "far from perfect".

He told the jury some of his messages and emails were "marked by immaturity and inappropriate language", but this was the case for both him and Ms Greville.

"They behaved like squabbling children, playing on the insecurities of the other."

But, Mr Daw said "no matter how rude, unpleasant and mean" they were, there were "lines Mr Giggs would never cross".

'Both could be childish'
"He never once used unlawful violence against Ms Greville," he said, adding that the case against him was based on "distortion, exaggeration and lies."

He said it was "clear" Ms Greville's injuries were not consistent with a head butt from "a strong and physically fit man".

He said Mr Giggs had encouraged Ms Greville's career ambitions in PR, backed her with his own company, and introduced clients.

She was always financially independent, and free to travel and see her friends as much as she wanted, he told the court.

"Both could be childish," he said. On nights out, they would often block each other's numbers.

"Immaturity is not a crime," he added, and when it comes to law and morality, "law is what matters".

The trial is expected to last 10 days

Standing in the dock, wearing a dark grey suit, Mr Giggs listened as the jury of seven women and five men was selected and sworn in for the trial.

The jury was told witnesses in the case will include former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and former player Gary Neville.

The trial - expected to last around 10 days - will relocate to Manchester Crown Court from Tuesday and remain there for the duration.

Mr Giggs has denied all charges - the trial continues.

BBC

Kate Greville: I discovered Giggs had affairs with eight women

Kate Greville says was becoming "physically and mentally" unwell during her relationship with Ryan Giggs and began seeing a therapist.

She says in one alleged incident, Giggs returned home drunk and was sick.

"I've never seen someone so drunk," she says.

Ms Greville tells police she checked Giggs's phone and found messages with another woman and decided to leave.

She says she later felt "pressured" to go back to him.

"It was just easier to go back," she adds.

Ms Greville says she checked an iPad and found evidence of eight women who had affairs with Giggs.

There were also messages in which Giggs had called Ms Greville a "slag", she says.

This is pretty horrific stuff.

If Giggs gets found guilty here then he will be doing some jail time for sure.

<I>Ryan Giggs threw ex out of hotel room naked, court told</I>

Former Manchester United and Wales star Ryan Giggs threw his then-girlfriend out of a hotel room while she was naked, a court has heard.

Mr Giggs, 48, is on trial accused of controlling behaviour and assaulting his former girlfriend Kate Greville and her younger sister Emma.

In an interview heard by the jury, Ms Greville, 36, told detectives Mr Giggs was her "best friend and her soulmate" but he became "abusive and nasty".

Mr Giggs has denied all the charges.
He is charged with controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville between August 2017 and November 2020.

He is also charged with assaulting Kate Greville, causing her actual bodily harm, and common assault of Emma Greville at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on 1 November 2020.

Manchester Crown Court heard a police interview given by Ms Greville weeks after she alleged the former Wales manager headbutted her in November 2020.

Prosecutors allege this happened when Mr Giggs came back to his house as she was preparing to move out.

"He just came at me from nowhere, grabbed me by my shoulders and head butted me in my face," she said.

She said her lip instantly swelled, she fell backwards and she could taste blood.

Ms Greville added that all the other times he had hurt her were different - this time he looked into her eyes and it was "with intent".

He then asked her to think about what had happened, and think about his career and his kids, she said.

Explaining her decision to end the relationship, she said: "I needed to do something for me. I had everything taken away from me. I needed to take a bit of control."

She told detectives that months before the alleged assault in November 2020, she found evidence that Mr Giggs had had relationships with eight other women over the previous six years.

She said she was going to "disappear" from his life and had written him a letter, but events took over and it was not sent.

A tearful Ms Greville told police: "The whole life was a lie."

She told detectives Mr Giggs had once "flipped" in a hotel room after she confronted him about messaging another woman.

She said he squared up to her, grabbed her wrist "hard" and "literally dragged" her naked across the floor and threw her and her belongings into the corridor.

Ms Greville added that she was left feeling "humiliated and embarrassed".

Giving evidence to the court from behind a screen, Ms Greville described an incident in February 2020 that left her with bruises on her wrists and her knee.

She said while on a trip to Dubai, after the pair has been out for a few drinks, Mr Giggs accused her of being drunk on the way back to the hotel.

"I went quiet. I felt constantly attacked by him, I didn't know where it had come from," she said.

"He said I was just like his ex-wife and he called me her name. It wasn't the first time. It was like his ultimate insult.

"He knew it would upset me. He would say it quite a lot. He used to say she would make his life hell, she had a problem with alcohol and I was just like her."

She went on to describe how he asked her to leave and make her own way to the airport the next day.

However, she said as she tried to go, he stood in her way and grabbed and pulled her bag, causing her to fall and bruise her arm and knees.

When Ms Greville returned to the UK after the trip, the relationship with Mr Giggs resumed, prosecutor Mr Wright asked her why.

Ms Greville said: "Because he made me feel like I was so alone, so isolated."

Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, told Ms Greville he would ask her about a selection of some of the thousands of messages they had exchanged, including Whatsapp and email exchanges.

He read out an exchange of messages in March 2019 in which Mr Giggs asked Ms Greville to unblock him, promising he would not send anymore naked pictures.

Ms Greville explained that Mr Giggs had randomly sent her a naked picture of himself.

He went on to send an email entitled "Blackmail" with a video attached.

She told the court: "I thought it was a video of a sexual nature that he would then send to the [work WhatsApp] group."

Mr Wright asked: "How did that make you feel?"

She replied: "Like violated. I had no control of what he could do or his actions. Just helpless, I guess.

"I just had to do what he wanted all the time. I had to pander to all his needs."

She said she felt Mr Giggs was threatening her career again, and added she deleted the message sent on her work email and never opened the video.

Mr Giggs also sent Ms Greville an email to her personal account in June 2020, the court heard, with a very offensive term being used as the title.

Mr Wright asked: "How did you feel about receiving an email with that title?"

Ms Greville replied: "It was quite normal to get that from him, the thing he was referring to did not warrant that response, it was completely irrational. Not acceptable.

"It was shocking to get something like that when you don't think you have done anything to deserve it."

In her police interview Ms Greville said that she saw early "red flags" in the relationship and it was "almost like he was two people".

She told detectives both she and Mr Giggs were married when their affair started and she was in an unhappy and controlling marriage.

"He would tell me about his marriage and he was not happy, I would talk about mine," she said.

She said things "developed" from that point on and she left her husband two months later.

"He was like a best friend, a soulmate, he was the one to save me from that marriage," she added.

During their affair, she said Mr Giggs kept promising he would leave his wife after she had ended her own marriage, but it did not happen.

At one point she stopped speaking to him and ignored his messages and calls, she said.

Ms Greville told police that Mr Giggs turned up at her apartment but she ignored him prompting him to shout: "You are a *****. Have you got somebody in there?"

He went on to threaten her that he would tell her boss about their secret affair, she said.

Rumours began at Ms Greville's workplace about the pair but she lied about it because she was "ashamed I was seeing a married man".

Mr Giggs would message her saying the marriage was over but again she discovered it was not, she said.

"It was just complete mind games. That went on for ages," she added.

The affair became public in May 2016, the court heard, which she said was "horrendous" as she was "hounded by the paps (paparazzi, or photographers)".

It continued to be an on-off relationship, despite her blocking him at times on her phone and emails, the court heard.

"It was literally like I was addicted to him. I couldn't get him out of my head," she said.

As their relationship went on, she said he would tell her he had left his then-wife and had moved in with his mother.

"Then I found out he had not. That went on for about nine months and then I decided he is not going to split up with [his then-wife], that is not happening," she said.

Eventually, Ms Greville said she gave him an ultimatum but nothing changed and she decided to move to Abu Dhabi to "get away from him".

Mr Giggs stood down in June as manager of the Wales national team following a period of leave since November 2020.

During his time at Old Trafford, Manchester United won 13 Premier League titles, two Champions League trophies, four FA Cups and three League Cups.

He won 64 caps for Wales and is co-owner of League Two side Salford City.

The trial continues on Wednesday.

<b>BBC</b>

Ryan Giggs' ex-girlfriend said living with him during the first Covid lockdown was "utter hell", a court has heard.

The former Manchester United star and Wales manager, 48, is accused of using controlling and coercive behaviour and assaulting Kate Greville.

Mr Giggs is charged with causing her actual bodily harm, and of the common assault of her younger sister, Emma Greville.

He denies all charges.

The pair moved in together after he asked her to live with him in Worsley, Greater Manchester.

Ms Greville said she did not choose to live elsewhere because she "wanted to stay with Ryan... because we had just started the relationship again".

The court heard that during lockdown the couple did online family quizzes, Zoom wine tastings and had Michelin-starred chefs bring in food.

But Ms Greville said there were arguments, including about a dishwasher.

"He was making me feel like I was stupid, the way I was loading it. I had to do it exactly the way he wanted to do it."

Chris Daw QC, defending Mr Giggs, said: "You suggest in your various accounts that lockdown was a period of living hell."

Ms Greville replied: "I felt like I was losing my mind. I was having panic attacks. It was a horrific time."

The court previously heard that Mr Giggs had "deliberately headbutted" his ex-girlfriend and his private life involved a "litany of abuse, both physical and psychological".

The court heard on 16 November, 2020, four days before she was interviewed by police about her allegations, an article appeared in The Sun.

There was a photo of her walking her dog and the words, "Living hell: Ryan Giggs's ex spotted with a bruised lip in first outing since Wales manager's assault arrest".

Messages were read from 10 November between Ms Greville and a friend.

The friend said she was going to sell a picture of Ms Greville.

Ms Greville suggested they set up a photo and both get paid. Her friend was keen to do this.

"We could get 5K," said Ms Greville.

Mr Daw asked if she was selling stories to the press about the case.

"It was a picture," Ms Greville said.

It was suggested she would not have returned to Mr Giggs had he been a serial and violent abuser.

Ms Greville said: "He made me believe that he would not do it again and, stupidly, I went back. I am hugely ashamed of that but I did."

Mr Daw questioned Ms Greville about her claims Mr Giggs "effectively isolated you or affected your relationships with friends and family".

She said the way he made her feel meant she did not want to "interact with my friends as much and tell them what was going on" and did not "frequently spend time with my family", but her sister would regularly come to the house.

Mr Daw pointed out a number of photos of Ms Greville on holiday with friends in 2019 and 2020, saying it was a "naked lie" Mr Giggs did anything to stop her seeing them.

Ms Greville replied: "He was creating really difficult relationships with these people."

Ryan Giggs' football career ended with him as the most decorated player in the Premier League era, with 34 trophies
She also told the court she was made to feel that a violent attack on her by him in a London hotel room had been her fault.

Mr Daw read a series of text messages between them the day after she said he kicked her in the back out of bed, threw a laptop bag at her head and threw her naked out of a hotel room.

She agreed the messages were "good humoured" and referred jokingly to their hangovers following an event they had both attended in London the evening before.

Mr Daw said Mr Giggs' version of events was that the pair had been at a work function and Ms Greville accused him of flirting with a woman he had been paired with for a crazy golf competition.

She denied she tried to "wind him up" by flirting with another man at a club later on.

Mr Daw said that the next morning you said to him: "I was so drunk I don't remember much about that night."

Ms Greville told the court: "While we were at breakfast I went to touch my head and my head was hurting, I said: 'Did you throw a bag at me last night?' and he said: 'Yes, but you wound me up that much you made me do it'."

When Mr Daw said this was "all just lies," she replied: "No, absolutely not."

Ms Greville was asked about the discovery of messages on Mr Giggs' phone that showed he had been messaging other women in August 2020.

She was questioned that her decision to leave him was based on the issue of infidelity, not coercion or violence.

She replied it was "incorrect" that she left Mr Giggs solely because he was a cheat and she left him because of that, combined with everything else.

The court heard that in October Ms Greville messaged a friend saying she needed a plan and was not walking away with nothing.

Asked what she meant, she told the court she needed a plan to get away in secret, so Mr Giggs could not find her and harass her.

Making reference to her walking away remark, she said she was talking about the dog.

When asked if her plan was to get pregnant by Mr Giggs, she said: "No, absolutely not."

Ms Greville denied she was planning to get pregnant by having her contraceptive coil removed without Mr Giggs' knowledge, and that she did not recall continuing to have unprotected sex with him.

She denied she lied "prolifically" to the police, with Mr Daw saying "you have twisted the truth very carefully to try to implicate him in crimes he did not commit".

The trial continues.

BBC

The ex-girlfriend of Ryan Giggs "screamed in pain" during a 999 call after he allegedly headbutted her in the face, a jury has heard.

The ex-Manchester United and Wales star denies assaulting Kate Greville, causing her actual bodily harm, at his home in Manchester in November 2020.

He is also said to have assaulted his ex's younger sister, Emma, 26, by elbowing her in the jaw in the same incident.

Mr Giggs denies all charges.

The trial at Manchester Crown Court heard that Kate Greville, 38, had returned to Mr Giggs' home in Worsley, Greater Manchester, in a taxi following a row after dinner with the former Wales football manager at his Stock Exchange hotel in Manchester city centre.

During the row, she accused him of messaging a string of women in recent months.

Mr Giggs, 48, arrived separately and the row continued as they tussled over their mobile phones, the jury heard.

Emma Greville, who was looking after the couple's dog, called the police at 10.05pm and when asked what had happened said: "Assault. Headbutted her."

In the recording of the call, played to the jury, she urges the police to "come quickly" as a female - Kate Greville - can be heard crying.

The operator asks: "Does she need an ambulance that lady who is screaming in the background?"

Emma Greville replies: "I think, yeah. He has just headbutted her in the face."

Mr Giggs denies the allegations and also denies an accusation that he used controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville between August 2017 and November 2020.

The trial has ended for the day and will resume on Monday.

BBC

The more i learn about these celebs the more immoral they look and act. It's rare to see a famous person that isn't a car crash. Giggs look particularly thick

The more i learn about these celebs the more immoral they look and act. It's rare to see a famous person that isn't a car crash. Giggs look particularly thick

Proper scumbag is Giggs. Even amongst his peers he stands out as a particularly extreme example of celebrity entitlement and nastiness

Had a long term affair with his sister in law and never apologised for doing so. Stabbed his brother in the back for eight years. Giggs is an absolute rubbish bin of a man.

<I>Giggs conducted an eight-year affair with his brother Rhodri's wife, Natasha. The affair resulted in members of Giggs' family repudiating their former ties to Ryan; after Ryan was appointed as manager of the Wales national team, his father Danny said he was "ashamed" of him and that "I can't even bring myself to use his name". [To me he is now ‘the ex-footballer’”.]</I>

Former Manchester United star Ryan Giggs headbutted his ex-girlfriend and threatened to do the same to her sister, a court has heard.

The ex-Wales manager, 48, is on trial accused of controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting Kate Greville, 36, and her younger sister Emma, 26.

Emma Greville told jurors he said "I'll headbutt you next" after assaulting her sister in an argument at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester.

Mr Giggs denies all charges.

Giving evidence from behind a screen at Manchester Crown Court, Emma Greville said she saw Mr Giggs place his hands on her sister's shoulders "and with lots of force use his head to headbutt her on her lip".

She said Kate Greville screamed and fell to the floor and Mr Giggs told Emma Greville that it was "her fault" he had done it, then threatened to do the same to her.

She said she "felt fear" and that when Kate Greville told her to call the police, Mr Giggs told her not to, telling her to "think of his daughter and his career".

Earlier in her evidence, Emma Greville had described how her sister and Mr Giggs had returned to the house separately on 1 November 2020 after going out for a meal at the Stock Exchange hotel where they had planned to stay that night.

But Kate Greville had messaged her sister, who was pet-sitting at the house, to ask her to pack her things as she was leaving that night.

She said her sister arrived first and was "upset".

Mr Giggs arrived about 15 minutes later and was " annoyed" and "not happy".

She said Kate Greville had been drinking and Mr Giggs was "very drunk".

Emma Greville told the jury how the couple argued in the hallway and that she had come from the kitchen to see Mr Giggs lying on top of her sister grabbing for her phone.

Kate Greville asked her sister to "get him off me", she said.

Emma Greville described how she put her arms around his waist and pulled as her sister pushed with her legs and said, that as she did so, he "turned to the right and his elbow touched my jaw".

"As a result, I let go" she said.

She said he did not mention what had happened, "even though I was visibly upset" but he did say he was "disappointed" in her, she said.

Emma Greville said the argument between the couple continued and moved into the kitchen, where the alleged headbutt then took place.

The court was also told a firm which employed Kate Greville had blocked Mr Giggs' emails due to the quantity he was sending her.

Elsa Roodt said the email volume was "intense" and "Kate could not do her work".

Ms Roodt, who has a public relations firm in the United Arab Emirates, was giving her evidence via a video link from Dubai.

She told the court Ms Greville had gone to help her and colleague Katie Harvey to set up a new office in Abu Dhabi in 2016.

She said Ms Greville was "happy and confident and bubbly" and had socialised when she first arrived.

Ryan Giggs' football career ended with him as the most decorated player in the Premier League era, with 34 trophies
But, over the two years she worked there, she said there was a "noticeable difference" and they did not spend as much time with her.

She appeared "nervous" and she was "obsessed" with her phone and being available at all times, said Ms Roodt.

She was asked about an alleged incident at a hotel in Dubai, when Mr Giggs was visiting and when she had seen Ms Greville the following day, she told her they had had some sort of "argument".

"She was very upset," she said.

Ms Roodt added she had seen bruises on Ms Greville's wrist and had asked her where they were from.

She said Ms Greville told her they had had "rough sex" after the argument.

Ms Roodt was also asked about seeing Ms Greville in February 2020 when she visited Ms Harvey's home while on holiday in Dubai with Mr Giggs.

Ms Roodt said Ms Greville described how "she had been crying all night and seemed very upset".

She said she had bruises on her arm and had said Mr Giggs had been "physical with her" in the hotel room.

Mr Giggs had phoned and messaged Ms Harvey during the two hours Ms Roodt was visiting.

Some of his messages were "loving", she said, but some were "rude".

"It was like they were coming from two different people," she said.

Under cross examination, Ms Roodt said she had met Mr Giggs about three times.

She said she had not been present during any of the couple's arguments, and having been at a wedding with the couple in Spain, she agreed he had appeared kind, friendly and sociable at that event.

The court heard Ms Greville was currently a managing partner in the UK branch of Ms Roodt's business.

The trial continues.

BBC

"Distressed" Ryan Giggs had "tears in his eyes" when he knocked on his neighbour's door wearing his slippers on the night he allegedly headbutted his ex-girlfriend, a court has heard.

Linda Cheung said the former Manchester United star asked her to call the police when he turned up at her property on 1 November 2020, and when he revealed Kate Greville had accused him of cheating, she told him: "Oh Ryan, not this again."

Giggs is standing trial accused of using controlling and coercive behaviour against Ms Greville, as well as assaulting her and her sister Emma.

He denies the charges against him.

Read live updates from the trial as they happened

Giving evidence on the sixth day of the trial, Mrs Cheung - who described Giggs as a "friend" as well as a neighbour - said she heard "loud banging" on her door on the night of the alleged assaults.

She told the jury that Giggs asked for help and "said words to the effect that Kate had been accusing him of seeing other women and he wanted me to go over and sort her out".

Mrs Cheung said her initial remark to him was "'Oh Ryan, not this again", in response to the cheating claims.

She then told the footballer: "I can't help because I don't know what's happened", the court heard.

Mrs Cheung said Giggs asked her: "Can you call the police? She's got my phone. She won't leave."

The neighbour told the court she refused to call the police and instead offered to let Giggs use her phone but he looked at her and "didn't say anything".

Former Manchester United footballer Ryan Giggs arrives at Manchester Crown Court where he is accused of controlling and coercive behaviour against ex-girlfriend Kate Greville between August 2017 and November 2020. Picture date: Monday August 15, 2022.

Mrs Cheung added that Giggs "looked in distress" so she offered to let him enter her property or suggested that he lock himself in one of his bedrooms.

"I could feel my heart rate pounding," she said.

"What can I do to help him without fuelling the situation?"

Giggs then walked away from Mrs Cheung's property towards his house, the court heard.

In a statement to police, which was read to the court, Mrs Cheung said Giggs had "tears in his eyes" during their conversation.

She told the court: "He was at my door virtually crying.

"He never went outside with his slippers on.

"I was thinking it must be urgent. He's come out of the house in the rain in his slippers."

Mrs Cheung said Ms Greville, her sister Emma and a male returned to the house after 1am and were "screaming, shouting, laughing, running up and down my drive" with the dog.

Asked by Chris Daw QC, representing Giggs, about the mood, Mrs Cheung replied: "The mood was hijinks."

Earlier, Emma Greville alleged that Giggs threatened to headbutt her after he elbowed her in the jaw and attacked her older sister Kate.

Giving evidence from behind a screen in court, Ms Greville said she heard "shouting, arguing and scuffling around" from another room in Giggs's property when she discovered the footballer lying on top of her sister trying to grab her phone.

"From her facial expressions I could tell she was in pain," Ms Greville said.

"Kate said 'get him off me' so I put both my arms around his waist and as Kate was using her legs to push him off I was pulling.

"As I was pulling him up he was standing upright in the doorway. He turned to his right and his elbow touched my jaw and as a result I let go. Not in a gentle manner, it was a 'get off me' manner."

Ms Greville said she then saw Kate in the kitchen as her sister tried to retrieve her phone from Giggs's back pocket.

She told the court: "I said to Ryan 'just give her phone back and then we will go'.

"I also said to him 'I saw you on top of her, grab her phone so I know you have her phone'.

"He called me 'a f****** liar'. Kate said to Ryan 'See, I have proof'.

"He had gone from annoyed to extremely angry.

"He put both his hands on Kate's shoulders and with lots of force used his head to headbutt her in the lip.

"She fell to the ground screaming and covering her face.

"Afterwards he told me it was my fault he had headbutted Kate and turned to me and said 'I will headbutt you next'.

"I felt fear because he had headbutted Kate so why would he not do the same to me."

Meanwhile, Kate Greville's boss told the court that her company had to block Giggs's "intense" emails.

Giving evidence via a video link from Dubai, Elsa Roodt said her PR business had "no other option" but to take the action because Ms Greville "couldn't do her work".

Ms Roodt told the court she asked Ms Greville about bruising on her arm in Dubai in 2017 and she said it was from "rough sex".

The witness also described seeing Ms Greville with bruises on her arm after an incident in February 2020.

Ms Roodt said: "She said Ryan had got physical with her the night before in the hotel room."

The court heard Ms Greville is currently a managing partner in the UK branch of Ms Roodt's business.

The trial at Manchester Crown Court was adjourned until Tuesday.

SKY

<b>Ryan Giggs an unfaithful 'love cheat' in relationships, court hears</b>

Ryan Giggs has told a court he has never been faithful in his relationships.

Giving evidence in his defence, Mr Giggs was asked if his reputation for "infidelity" or being a "love cheat" was justified, to which he said he was "a flirt by nature".

Mr Giggs, 48, is accused of controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting Kate Greville, 36, and her younger sister Emma, 26, in November 2020.

He denies all charges.

When questioned by his defence barrister, Chris Daw QC, if he lied to partners including Ms Greville about being unfaithful he said: "
Yes, more than once".

But when asked if he had ever physically assaulted a woman, he said "no", adding that he had never set out to control or coerce a woman.

Mr Daw asked: "Did you ever set out to make Kate Greville a slave to your demands, as she claims?"

"No, " the ex-footballer replied.

Mr Giggs said he met his now ex-wife around at a barbecue when he was 18 and the pair started a relationship when he was in his late 20s.

He told the court they moved to Worsley, Greater Manchester, and had two children with whom he has "a very good" relationship with today.

He said he was not faithful to Ms Greville and never told her about his previous infidelities.

"I wasn't honest with her, no," he told Mr Daw.

"The first time I met Kate I was immediately attracted to her, I thought she was attractive, I thought she was intelligent, I thought she was funny."

He went on to say how the pair started flirting and that he thought she "looked hot" after swapping pictures of each from their travels.
The pair had sex for the first time the night before a planned London photo-shoot for Cafe Football, which they had kept secret.

Mr Daw asked: "What was the balance of interest in that?"

Giggs replied: "It was equal. We went back to the hotel room. We had sex and stayed the night."

From that point, he said, the two talked about how unhappy they both were in their marriages.

He said Ms Greville left her husband "no longer than six months" after their first sexual contact.

Mr Giggs said he continued to stay at his family home with his wife Stacey and their two children as the affair carried on.

That relationship with his current wife at the time came to an end after a press article related him to Ms Greville in 2016, he said.

"She (Stacey) questioned me about it. I denied it."

Shortly after in the summer of 2016 he said Ms Greville was planning to move to Abu Dhabi for a work opportunity - he "didn't want her to go" but the pair agreed to "make it work".

Mr Daw asked about an incident at the Westin Hotel in Dubai in 2017, when Kate Greville alleges Mr Giggs dragged her naked body across the floor of his hotel room before throwing her belongings into a corridor.

Mr Giggs said the pair had been "delighted" to have a chance to see each other again but things took a turn for the worse after he started replying to a message from his daughter in a club.

"I could just feel Kate sort of looking over and sort of wondering who I was messaging. I just got a bit irritated because she was making it quite obvious she was peering over my shoulder. I just said: 'I'm messaging Libby'."

He said after he "stormed off" to his hotel room, Ms Greville followed him and they got into an argument.
Denying there was any "physical element" to this, he said he started packing her suitcase and told her he did not want her to stay with him.

"Kate was trying to stop me from putting clothes and various other stuff into the suitcase.

"I didn't manage to shut it but I was ushering her towards the front door with the suitcase."

He said they were "half outside" in the corridor and half in the hotel room before Ms Greville managed to get the suitcase back and get back into the room.

Mr Giggs said he then told Kate Greville to sleep on the sofa, but after they calmed down they had sex and spent the night together in the same bed.

"We had sex that we would have quite often which could get quite rough, but not anything weird, but just rough."

Mr Daw said: "Was that sort of sexual activity something the two of you engaged in regularly?"

Giggs replied: "Yes," adding he and Ms Greville were both the instigator after not seeing eachother for a long period of time.

He told the court there was no issue between the two of them the next day and that the incident in the relationship "wasn't unusual but I wouldn't say it was regular".

Earlier, in a statement read to Manchester Crown Court, Ryan Giggs said his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville had attacked him on 1 November 2020.

He said this incident resulted in injuries she said she sustained when he headbutted her.

The jury heard he asked both sisters to leave his house but they refused.

"I had no option but to demand my phone to ring the police. I went to the utility room to get hers [Kate Greville's].

"At this point she gave me my phone and, rather foolishly, I decided to keep hers.

"I should not have done this but was emotional, angry and upset."

The ex-Wales and Manchester United star said he planned to call the police but Kate Greville grabbed his hand and a scuffle developed with her sister Emma, who was "standing in close proximity".

He stated: "I accept during this scuffle my head clashed with hers [Kate]. I am not sure if it was the face or head but I am sure it was not deliberate."

Emma Greville previously told the court Mr Giggs grabbed her sister by the shoulders and headbutted her, before turning to her and saying: "I'll headbutt you next."

He is charged with controlling and coercive behaviour against Kate Greville between August 2017 and November 2020.

He is also charged with assaulting Kate Greville, causing her actual bodily harm, and charged with the common assault of Emma Greville on 1 November 2020.

In a prepared defence statement given to police and read in court by prosecutor Peter Wright QC, Mr Giggs said: "I will not accept that my behaviour towards my former partner has been in any way controlling or coercive, nor that I have done any of the incidents in the manner described."

He told police there were occasions Ms Greville tried to "control our relationship," including one incident when she was jealous of his "contact with other females".

He also said he did not recall threatening to release intimate photos or videos of the couple.

His statement said even if a threat had been made "in jest or in drink," it would be "preposterous" for Ms Greville to believe it would be carried out.

The trial continues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62554229

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Giggs has admitted trying to use his teenage daughter as "a lever" to stop the police being called on the night he allegedly headbutted his ex-girlfriend.

However the former Manchester United footballer denied using "emotional blackmail" after Kate Greville's sister Emma rang 999 on the evening of 1 November 2020.

Giggs is also accused of elbowing Emma and threatening to headbutt her.

Giving evidence for a third day at his assault trial, the ex-Wales manager said online stalking was "common" in his relationship with Kate Greville and he believed it was his infidelity that had caused her "alarm and distress".

Gushing messages exchanged between Giggs and Ms Greville were also read to the court, including a poem the ex-footballer wrote for his then-girlfriend, in which he said she makes him "feel as hard as a totem pole".

Read live updates from the trial as they happened

Giggs is standing trial accused of using controlling and coercive behaviour against Ms Greville, as well as assaulting her and her sister.

He denies the charges against him.

Jurors heard that during a 999 call, Emma Greville said to Giggs: "I don't care if your daughter is 17. I don't care about your daughter."

Prosecutor Peter Wright QC asked Giggs: "You were seeking here to dissuade her from making that complaint?"

"Yes," he replied.

The prosecutor asked: "And you were seeking to use your daughter as the lever?"

"Yes," Giggs said.

Asked why, the ex-footballer said: "I don't know."

Mr Wright suggested Giggs "sought to use emotional influence".

"Emotional blackmail wasn't it?", the prosecutor asked.

"No," Giggs responded.

Answering questions from his defence barrister Chris Daw QC, Giggs said he was "scared" about the police being called and the accusations being made about him.

Asked what he thought the potential consequences would be, Giggs said: "I'm not too sure. It didn't look good."

Giggs said a remark heard during the 999 call when he said "we'll be everywhere" was referring to "newspapers and media".

The court has previously heard that Giggs sent a message to Ms Greville in which he said: "I'll stalk you like mad."

Giggs told the court that online stalking was "common in our relationship", adding: "It meant we were checking up on each other."

The former footballer had previously admitted he had turned up unannounced at Ms Greville's home, workplace, and gym following break-ups in their on-off relationship.

Giving evidence on Thursday, Giggs said that every time he had turned up unannounced, they had got back together.

Asked about Ms Greville's attitude towards him turning up unannounced, Giggs said she was "happy I had fought for us and I'd persisted".

The former Manchester United player also told the court that when he said in his evidence that he had caused Ms Greville "alarm and distress", he was referring to his "infidelity".

After Giggs completed his evidence, messages exchanged between the ex-footballer and Ms Greville in 2016 and 2017 were read to the court.

They included a poem he wrote to his then-girlfriend in which he said she makes him "feel as hard as a totem pole".

The court heard that in August 2017, Ms Greville messaged Giggs saying: "You make my heart flutter because you are a nutter.

"Every day you do me proud not just because you are well endowed."

The next day Giggs wrote: "My darling Kate, unequivocally our love was fate,

"I fell in love with you at first sight, I remember coz I was high as a kite,

"Those beautiful eyes made me shiver,

"I'm not gonna lie I think of you, I dream of you,

"Can't help thinking pulling you was my greatest ever coo,

"That stomach, those abs, those pictures you send so I can keep tabs."

Giggs went on: "You make me feel funny down there especially when you're there and you look up and stare.

"I'm beginning to think you are always right, that's ok it will keep us tight,

"I'm gonna end by saying you are my love my friend and my soul,

"And most of all you believe in me, which makes me feel as hard as a totem pole."

In other messages, Giggs told Ms Greville he loved her "more than all my Premier League appearances, which is a lot" and called her "f***ing unbelievably beautiful".

The trial at Manchester Crown Court was adjourned until Friday.

SKY

Ryan Giggs told officer he hit ex Kate Greville in lip, court hears

Ryan Giggs told a police officer he hit his ex "in the lip" and also tried to stop her sister calling 999, a court has heard.

The former Manchester United player, who denies all charges, gave evidence on a second day of cross-examination.

The jury heard the football star's statement to police where he said: "I've hit her (Kate) in the lip."

During the call made by her sister Emma he was heard by 999 staff berating his ex for "causing all of this".

The former Wales international and manager, 48, denies using controlling and coercive behaviour and assaulting Kate Greville, 38.

He also denies causing her actual bodily harm, and common assault of Kate Greville's younger sister, Emma Greville.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62588961

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has arrived at Manchester Crown Court to give evidence in Ryan Giggs' domestic violence trial.<br><br>Latest: <a href="https://t.co/HM5OGrmD2n">https://t.co/HM5OGrmD2n</a><br><br>&#55357;&#56570; Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube <a href="https://t.co/dEeNM2S3ps">pic.twitter.com/dEeNM2S3ps</a></p>— Sky News (@SkyNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1560616834553982978?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 19, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has told the Ryan Giggs trial that the ex-footballer had a "fantastic temperament".

Sir Alex said he was "without doubt the best example we had at the club" and "everyone looked at Ryan Giggs as the number one".

The ex-Manchester United player denies controlling behaviour and assaulting his ex-girlfriend Kate Greville.

Mr Giggs, 48, also denies assaulting Ms Greville's younger sister Emma, 26.

The incident is alleged to have happened at the home of the former Wales international and manager in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on 1 November 2020.

'The jam in my doughnut'
His love notes and poems have also been read out at Manchester Crown Court over the past two days.

In one, he told Kate Greville she was "the jam in my doughnut, the truffle in my pasta, the salt in my tequila," the court heard.

Sir Alex, 80, who was called as a defence witness, told the jury: "To have a career as long as he had in a difficult position, in terms of energy, he fulfilled everything we ever wished for."

Speaking of his early encounters with him as a child, Sir Alex said: "We visited his house to try to convince him to come to Manchester United. Myself and my assistant Archie Knox."

Chris Daw QC, defending, asked: "Did you get to know him as a child during that period?"

Sir Alex replied: "His main contact was his mother. She was very good. Very accommodating. Ryan was a quiet boy. He just sat there listening to what was being said. His mum did all the talking."

He said they spoke about ambitions for the club.

George Best comparisons

Sir Alex said: "They had been going through a bad period when I arrived at the club in 1986. We had a big job to do. We saw Ryan as one step towards a better situation in regard to young players."

He told the court the player signed a schoolboy form with Manchester United before getting into the first team at the age of 17.

He said: "That was was the first time we had to really think about looking after him.

"The thing was, the press started comparing him with George Best. We had to face a lot of attention on the boy.

"I said to his mother: 'Look, if you are able to trust me I'll look after him'.

"If any media came to him they had to come through me. We did this to protect him.

"When someone's saying you're the next George Best, it's a big issue. But the boy was great, no problems.

"Any media who came towards me wanting to do articles had to come through me."

Mr Daw QC asked Sir Alex if he was aware of Mr Giggs having girlfriends.

The former manager said: "When we had dinners at the end of the season he would bring a friend with him, yeah."

'Sharp end of my tongue'

He said Mr Giggs played for Manchester United from the ages of 17 to 41 and had a "fantastic record".

Sir Alex told the court: "When he got older the issue of the dressing room became - I used Ryan a lot in the sense of, when I lost my temper about performance I would use Ryan as an example sometimes.

"He got the sharp end of my tongue, but I knew he could take it, he was strong enough.

"Everyone else in the dressing room would think: 'If Ryan Giggs can take it, we can all take it'."

Sir Alex's testimony came after messages and poems between the ex-player and Kate Greville were read to the court.

On November 6 2017, Giggs said: "Morning gorgeous. I am so punching. You are truly amazeballs."

'You rock my world'

Ms Greville responded: "You are not punching. You rock my world. You also have the bestest bum in the world. You are incredible."

On December 10 2017, Ms Greville wrote: "You know I think you are amazing. I adore you baby."

Giggs replied: "Fandabidoozie. You are the jam in my doughnut, the truffle in my pasta, the salt in my tequila.

Ms Greville said: "I keep thinking of us walking on the beach. You make my heart skip a beat. I even love massaging your feet."

On New Year's Eve 2017, he sent a post which spelled out his partner's surname: "G for Gorgeous, R for Radiant, E for Extraordinary, V for Vivacious, I for Idolised (by me), L for Legs, L for Legs, E for Everything I have wanted."

Ryan Giggs says he and Kate Greville's relationship progressed after they were both unhappy in their marriages
Testimonies were also heard by the court from former Manchester United chief executive David Gill, and Salford City chairman Karen Baird.

Karen Baird, who is chairman of the League Two club which Mr Giggs co-owns, described him as: "Very much a gentleman."

'Genuinely nice guy'

She said: "In meetings I find him attentive. Generally just polite and I have always got on well with him.

"I think he is a genuinely nice guy. One of the calmest people I have ever met. Very relaxed and laid back."

Mr Gill said: "Ryan is a very likeable man, well-mannered, very professional."

Mr Gill said Mr Giggs took his job as a player and a coach "very seriously".

He went on: "He is always very polite. I found him to be honest. You can trust what he said.

"I always found him to be a measured person... with a pleasant sense of humour.

"I know Ryan to be hard-working, dedicated and always willing to help and improve."

The trial continues.

BBC

The truth has caught up to Ryan Giggs and it's time for him to "pay the price", a jury has been told.

The former Manchester United star, 48, denies controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting ex-girlfriend Kate Greville, 38, in November 2020.

He also denies assaulting her younger sister Emma, 26.

Prosecutor Peter Wright QC said Mr Gigg's actions told a story of "emotional manipulation, physical excess and control and coercion".

In his closing speech at Manchester Crown Court, Mr Wright reminded the jury of the 999 call made by Ms Greville's sister Emma following the alleged assault.

He described the call - in which Mr Giggs can be heard in the background saying Ms Greville caused the incident - as a "microcosm of the entire case".

Mr Wright said the call was made within moments of the incident having taken place.

"What a remark," he said. "Not, it was an accident, I didn't mean it."

Mr Wright went on to say that this is a case about what Ryan Giggs is not known for, "what lies beneath the surface of…his character."

"It's about the abuse of power."

Speaking out for Kate Greville had been "cathartic", he said, and he asked the jury to consider how she responded when various matters were put to her, irrespective of the "deeply embarrassing" material she was being asked to consider.

The barrister asked them, was this a woman who was "scheming" or a woman who was "now empowered" and able to "speak out?"

Mr Wright went on to ask the jury to consider why Mr Giggs did not have answers to so many questions. The answer, he said, was that he had "no sensible explanation to give."

"The truth was so damaging and so telling…that the "only alternative" was of "not giving an explanation."

'Polite paragon of public behaviour'

Mr Wright said that Mr Giggs was the "living embodiment" of the contradictions in the case, from "hate-filled outburst of bile" to the very same woman he had, "sometimes only moments earlier" professed to "love in perpetuity."

Reminding the jury about emails in which he calls Ms Greville by a deeply unpleasant name, Mr Wright said this is what Mr Giggs, a "polite paragon of public behaviour" was capable of.

"Even now he can't explain why he sent it," he said, because, to do so would "reveal the coercive and controlling nature of his conduct."

Mr Wright then invited the jury to "compare and contrast" the "calm and cooperative Ryan Giggs" on dealing with the police at his house on 1 November 2020 with what they heard in the 999 call.

Earlier, Judge Hilary Manley told the jury they had to decide the case on the evidence and that they must decide "whether a witness was a truthful witness". If there were "inaccuracies" they must consider if they matter "in the overall context of the case", she said.

Judge Manley went on to say that both Kate Greville and former Wales manager Mr Giggs became distressed while giving their evidence., but she said they must "..put aside any sympathy".

She reminded them that she told them at the start of the case that they must put aside any emotion, and she said they must "continue that way."

The trial continues.

Chris Daw QC, defending the former player, described Peter Wright QC's interrogation as "almost a form of blood sport" and said his client was "like a rabbit in the headlights" on the stand.

Mr Giggs, 48, is accused of coercive behaviour during his relationship with PR executive Kate Greville, 36, whom he is also alleged to have headbutted.

He also faces a second assault charge for allegedly elbowing Ms Greville’s younger sister, Emma, in the jaw.

He denies the charges.

The defence and prosecution delivered their closing speeches in the trial on Monday at Manchester Crown Court.

Addressing the jury of seven women and five men, Mr Daw claimed the case was instead about "infidelity" and that Ms Greville was "deeply, deeply upset" and "furious" about Mr Giggs cheating on her.

Addressing Mr Giggs' testimony during the trial, he said that placing "one of the leading prosecuting barristers of the last 40 years against someone who who had limited education in terms of schooling" was "no more an equal match up than putting Mr Wright in goal against Mr Giggs at the absolute peak of footballing ability".

He said his client was "too embarrassed" to ask the prosecutor about questions he didn't understand while he was on the stand, and that it was less embarrassing to agree with what the prosecutor was putting to him, reminding the jury that Mr Giggs agreed he was impetuous when it later emerged he did not know what the word meant.

"He would’ve agreed his career was not at Manchester United but at Bolton Wanderers," he added.

Elsewhere during the proceedings, the prosecution said in his summary that there were "two very different Ryan Giggs", adding: "The one who is exposed for public consumption and the Ryan Giggs who exists on occasion behind closed doors."

The court heard that some 19,671 messages between the couple during their six-year on/off relationship had been recovered as part of the investigation into the allegations.

Mr Wright said the messages, when contextualised, "tell their own sorry tale of emotional manipulation, physical excess and control and coercion".

He said Mr Giggs' "ultimate trump card was physical domination" in his relationship with Ms Greville and that when the ex-footballer was "riled" he responded with "hate-filled outbursts of bile" which were sent to "the very same woman moments earlier he had professed to love and care for".

Mr Wright told the court that Mr Giggs "could and would resort to aggression", but that "his ultimate trump card was physical domination". He said "the reality is the truth has caught up with Mr Giggs" and that it was "time to pay the price".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=956585a80c964cf9889f09ccb5458980

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Giggs trial jury retires to considers verdicts

The jury have retired to consider their verdicts in the trial of former Manchester United player and Wales manager Ryan Giggs.

He denies controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting ex-girlfriend Kate Greville, 38, and her sister Emma, 26.

Judge Hilary Manley told jurors it was "not a court of morals". She also said he was not on trial for his infidelity.

The jury were sent out on Tuesday, the 12th day of the trial at Manchester Crown Court.

Mr Giggs, 48 has been accused of headbutting his former girlfriend but he claimed she kicked him in the head during a row at his home.

During closing speeches on Monday, prosecutor Peter Wright QC said messages sent by the former player told a story of "emotional manipulation, physical excess and control and coercion".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62643916

Ryan Giggs: Jury in footballer's trial given new direction

Jurors deciding whether Ryan Giggs is guilty or not have been instructed they can give a majority verdict.

They have now been sent home and are set to reconvene on Wednesday.

The former Manchester United player denies controlling behaviour, as well as assaulting ex-girlfriend Kate Greville, 38, and her sister Emma, 26, at Manchester Crown Court.

There were initially 12 jurors, but after one fell ill last week, 11 are deciding.

The judge said they could give majority verdicts after they had been deliberating for 16 hours 34 minutes.

This means the jury no longer has to give unanimous verdicts to the charges - on which all members agree - but can give verdicts that 10 out of 11 on the panel agree.

Tuesday was the 15th day of the trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-62722570

Ryan Giggs trial: Jury discharged after failing to reach verdicts on assault and controlling behaviour charges

The jury in the trial of Ryan Giggs has been discharged after failing to reach verdicts on whether he attacked and controlled his ex-girlfriend and assaulted her sister.

The former Manchester United footballer stood trial accused of assaulting his former partner Kate Greville, causing actual bodily harm, and using controlling and coercive behaviour against her from August 2017 to November 2020.

He was also charged with the common assault of Ms Greville's younger sister, Emma.

The 12-member jury was sent out to consider its verdicts on Tuesday 23 August before one juror was discharged last week due to illness.

After being told to reach unanimous verdicts, Judge Hilary Manley gave a majority direction on Tuesday and said she would accept verdicts on which at least 10 of the 11 jurors agreed.

However, on Wednesday, the jury of seven women and four men said they had failed to agree verdicts on any of the charges against Giggs.

The ex-Wales manager was accused of deliberately headbutting Ms Greville at his house in Worsley, Greater Manchester, on the evening of November 1 2020.

The pair had been involved in a row at the Stock Exchange hotel in Manchester earlier that evening, where she had confronted him about his alleged affairs, the court heard.

After they returned separately to the home they shared, Ms Greville alleged that Giggs put his hands on her shoulders, looked her "straight in the eyes" and headbutted her in the face, causing her lip to bleed.

Emma Greville claimed she was elbowed in the jaw by Giggs after she had earlier tried to get the footballer off her sister, and that he had threatened to headbutt her.

However, Giggs told the jury at Manchester Crown Court that he and Kate Greville had accidentally "clashed heads" during a "sort of tug-of-war" over a mobile phone.

He denied deliberately elbowing her sister or threatening to headbutt her, and broke down in tears in court as he described his night in a police cell after his arrest as the "worst experience" of his life.

After Ms Greville claimed she found evidence that Giggs had at least eight affairs during their relationship, the ex-footballer told the court his "love cheat" reputation was justified, and he had been unfaithful to all his partners, but denied using controlling or coercive behaviour.

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson appeared as a defence witness at the trial, telling the court that Giggs had a "fantastic temperament" and he had never seen him lose his temper.

The jury also heard poems written by Giggs to Ms Greville during their six-year on-off relationship - including one in which he said she made him "as hard as a totem pole".

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-on-assault-and-controlling-behaviour-charges

Pundit Gary Neville is to be referred to the Attorney General for a social media post he made during his ex-Manchester United team-mate Ryan Giggs' domestic violence trial.

The judge in the case, Hilary Manley, has referred it as a possible case of contempt of court.

The jury in Giggs' trial was discharged on Wednesday after failing to reach verdicts on any of the three charges.

Giggs denied headbutting ex-partner Kate Greville, 38, in a row at home.

Giggs, who resigned as Wales manager in June, also denied a charge of coercive or controlling behaviour towards Ms Greville, and denied assaulting Ms Greville's sister Emma, 26.

Any retrial will not take place until at least 5 June 2023, the judge said.

Neville's agent Di Law told the Daily Mail that the 47-year-old Sky Sports pundit was "absolutely adamant" that the post was referring to the Glazer family's ownership of Manchester United and not the Giggs trial.

Contempt of court law prohibits publishing any information that creates a "substantial risk" of serious prejudice to a trial - including on social media. It is a criminal offence, punishable by a fine or up to two years in prison.

The judge referred to the post by Neville on Wednesday.

Judge Manley said: "Given the author is a person with a high public profile and his social media account has 1.5 million followers, it could be seen to be an attempt to influence on-going criminal proceedings and could be contempt of court.

"Accordingly, I am referring the matter to the office of the Attorney General for the consideration of a potential prosecution."

A spokeswoman for the Attorney General's Office said: "Contempt of court is a serious matter and the Attorney General will review any allegations brought to her carefully. We have not yet received a referral."

BBC Sport has contacted 47-year-old Neville's representatives for comment.

During the trial the lawyer acting for the prosecution said a social media post "by a member of the public who has a direct connection with this case" had been brought to his attention.

He added: "This may be a matter that requires immediate action, so far as that individual is concerned."

The lawyer defending Giggs, Chris Daw QC, wanted to make it "crystal clear" the defendant did not have anything to do with the Instagram post.

Judge Manley allowed the trial to go ahead after deliberation and as there was no indication that any jury member had seen the post.

The former Manchester United footballer had been on trial for four weeks. The Crown Prosecution Service has a week to decide whether to pursue a retrial.

BBC

Pundit Gary Neville is to be referred to the Attorney General for a social media post he made during his ex-Manchester United team-mate Ryan Giggs' domestic violence trial.

The judge in the case, Hilary Manley, has referred it as a possible case of contempt of court.

BBC

What did Neville post?

Ryan Giggs to face retrial on domestic violence charges

Ryan Giggs will face a retrial next year - almost three years after he was first arrested on domestic violence charges.

Talking publicly for the first time on the trial, the ex-Manchester United footballer said he is "obviously disappointed", but wants to clear his name.

Mr Giggs had been on trial for four weeks but last week, following 22 hours and 59 minutes of deliberations, the jury failed to reach any verdicts.

Judge Hilary Manley approved an application by prosecutors for a second trial during a brief hearing at Manchester Crown Court on Wednesday.

The second trial will begin on July 31 next year - 143 weeks and a day after Mr Giggs was arrested on Nov 1, 2020.

The 48-year-old said: "After more than three weeks in court I am obviously disappointed that a retrial has been ordered.

"My not guilty plea remains in relation to all charges. I am confident that justice will eventually be done and my name will be cleared of all the allegations.

"I would like to thank my legal team, my mum, my children, my girlfriend Zara, as well as my closest friends, for their support throughout this period.

"I understand the level of interest and the scrutiny around this case but I would like to ask that my and my family's privacy is respected in the weeks and months ahead."

MSN

Ryan Giggs’ son has left Manchester United to sign a youth contract at Premier League new-boys Sheffield United.

Giggs’ 16-year-old son, Zach, underwent a successful trial with the Blades and subsequently ended his four-year association with United in favour of a scholarship at Bramall Lane.

Ryan Giggs holds Manchester United’s all-time appearance record

The move means Giggs is unlikely to follow in his father’s footsteps of stepping out in the famous red shirt.

The Former Manchester United and Wales winger won 13 league titles and two Champions League’s during a decorated career spanning 24 years.

But the youngster has opted to form his own pathway in football at a club that could give him the best possible opportunity to break into the first team.

Giggs signed his new contract against the backdrop of a wall reading the words, ‘The Academy of Opportunity.’

The wall featured a number of the club’s youth prospects who went on to forge successful careers.

Among the names visible are Phil Jagielka, Harry Maguire, Kyle Walker and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Sheffield United’s hopes of signing Giggs would not have been possible had the club failed to achieve promotion to the Premier League.

The Blades were slapped with a transfer embargo owing to non-payment of outstanding transfer funds but their return to the top tier of English football has seen the ban lifted.

And with Premier League football confirmed for next season, Giggs has the opportunity to emulate his father by featuring in the top flight, should he impresses in the youth set-up.

TalkSports

Back