"There seems a deliberate effort to keep me out, even when franchises have opted for other performers with inferior numbers than me": Ahmed Shehzad

Well no one will keep you out if you hadn’t done something wrong . Why would franchise not pick a quality player . Indeed their must be something wrong with your attitude that has kept you out . Everyone grinds in domestic . You are not the only one .

Lol you can't force Franchises to pick you. Look at the competition he is facing for the positions he is competing in.

I don't think he will stop talking about it. I am surprised he waited this long to comment!

With all due respect Shazzy, you are not better than all the openers that were picked….besides Shan Masood, you have no claim in the PSL

when someone who hypes themselves up to his levels describes themselves as "performing reasonably well", you know they didnt really perform all that well.

Ahmed doesn't have the age on his side. He knows in order to get in. He needs to not only score reasonable runs but out perform youngesters.

Just like Sohail Khan did with bowling.

UA and him were given ample chances from 2009 to 2015 and then again from 2017 to 2019. They were hyped so much and treated as golden boys that got to their head and they thought they are irreplaceable. Afridi and misbah kept picking them citing we don’t have any talent coming up .

Well I guess no one can Say PSL is a retirement home league when guys aged 30 have retired from it only

First person in history to retire from a t20 league. What a drama queen.
Bro your comment has cheered me up i was having a bad day until i read the above.

Shazzy should retire from
all forms of cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what his stats were for "reasonably well". And is that how teams in the PSL should choose players? Let's get him, he did reasonably well.

I was not selected for PSL so I quit PSL. lol

Knew this was coming, it was either him or Umar Akmal. This time he beat Umar Akmal to it.

Anyways, pre-mature and dumb. Usually till the time PSL doesnt get started, alot of players pull out due to injury or noc so he would had been added later on.

He should have been picked, he prioritized local leagues and performed well in them so at least he should be given a chance to play in the PSL.

What message are we sending to youngsters? That performance in national leagues doesn't count to get you selected?

He should have been picked, he prioritized local leagues and performed well in them so at least he should be given a chance to play in the PSL.

What message are we sending to youngsters? That performance in national leagues doesn't count to get you selected?

Unfortunately for Shehzad the competition for openers was fierce. If he wanted to stake a claim, he should have had a strike rate of 150 plus for a few seasons now in domestic cricket to stake a claim. Even Sharjeel got dropped this season.

Selection is not his right.

He is not a new cricketer, he has been playing for 10+ years. What gurantee is there for a franchise that he will be emulate the same performance.

The thing with has beens is that after having given them soo many chances you dont trust them anymore.

Besides, he had attitude problems. The guy invested soo much on PR this year and look at him blow up as soon as he didnt get picked. He thinks the 6 teams are doing a sazish against him. There is no way franchises will pick him after that stupid tweet of his.

Talking smack with PCB is one thing, but talking smack with franchises, franchise owners stay the same and are just like a company where once they see a red flag in an employee they wont select you.

It got others selected. Not everything is a big conspiracy. Teams simply don't believe in him and filling the opener is literally the easiest thing in T20's. No teams see potential in him so even if a guy like Yasir Khan gets picked, its because he has more potential and can be a potential retention too. Teams simply saw his performance as a few good games after which he tailed off anyways. I'd wager his PP SR in the current domestic tournament was not good because he is generally a slower starter and struggles to hit gaps.

Teams simply don't want because he is not good enough instead this clown is claiming collusion against him. Dude you are so mediocre that if anything, another franchise would want you to go somewhere else to make the team worse.

It got others selected. Not everything is a big conspiracy. Teams simply don't believe in him and filling the opener is literally the easiest thing in T20's. No teams see potential in him so even if a guy like Yasir Khan gets picked, its because he has more potential and can be a potential retention too. Teams simply saw his performance as a few good games after which he tailed off anyways. I'd wager his PP SR in the current domestic tournament was not good because he is generally a slower starter and struggles to hit gaps.

Teams simply don't want because he is not good enough instead this clown is claiming collusion against him. Dude you are so mediocre that if anything, another franchise would want you to go somewhere else to make the team worse.
Facts don’t care about your feelings.

His recent record in the domestic t20 speaks for himself. He dominated it and if he can’t be picked for PSL after that then surely there’s something wrong right.

For all those who don’t know in the recent t20 domestic tournament he played 9 matches and did great or reasonably well in all of them

9 matches: 4 fifties and 2 quarter centuries at a 130+ strike rate!!

His recent record in the domestic t20 speaks for himself. He dominated it and if he can’t be picked for PSL after that then surely there’s something wrong right.

For all those who don’t know in the recent t20 domestic tournament he played 9 matches and did great or reasonably well in all of them

Bro with all due respect. I don’t mind Shahzad as a person and cricketer

But he didn’t dominate the competition. He fell off the boil when the going got tough for Lahore whites. They finished last in the group stage. Shahzad was not better than the openers who got picked in the PSL. I really do mean it. Give me the slightest of sniffs to tell you that he was better than Rizwan, I would scream it out loud to the whole world until their ears bleed.

The one player who I feel has no right and Shahzad can stake a claim to is Shan Masood. That’s just for Shahzad, the only player/opener who Shahzad can replace and it would make no real difference to the tournament.

You should also look at his super 8 score. It really wasn’t good enough

He could've said all of that without posting his own picture. A rubbish cricketer maximizing his career through PR. Cannot believe how this guy has played so much cricket for Pakistan.
He is looking the other way in his picture, its linked to the words he posted.

Indian batsmen like Jaiswal, Gaekwaad, Rinku, Surya, Tilak, Jitesh are capable of batting at a SR of 150-170 in T20s.

A SR of 130 is now considered run a ball and is mediocre now. Pakistan needs to have higher standards.

Among the Top 8 openers in National T20, he had the lowest BPB, 3rd lowest SR. And 4 fifties which he scored were against debutants. 15 out of 23 bowlers were debutants.

1702704778392.png

The following list shows the openers picked by the franchises in the draft. All are far better than Ahmad Shahzad.

Alex Hales
Colin Munro
Jordan Cox
Shan Masood
James Vince
Fakhar Zaman
Sahibzada Farhan
Babar Azam
Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris
Jason Roy
Will Smeed
Dawid Malan
Reeza Hendricks
Jordan Cox
Mohammad Rizwan

Fact of the matter is that franchises are about money and not a retirement fund for players,

They simply do not see his use.

He started scoring some runs and got 4 back-to-back 50's but then he failed in the remaining matches again. He needs to be more consistent and score runs in domestic even more to get noticed.

Franchise can pick whoever they want.

They are not a charity. There is big money involved.

Being a senior player and performer, I think he deserves one last chance in PSL. Any team could select him and give him at least 2-3 games to play.

I have no doubt about what Shehzad is saying. He is right. There might be some individuals who don't want him to play.

His luck seems to have run out since Afridi retired. He used to be best friends with :afridi

Fondly remember the days when some people were celebrating Razzaq's comparison of Shehzad's talent with Tendulkar's.

His stock has nosedived and how!

Overaged, utterly mediocre talent m

We can utilize him in Test cricket, There is a void there. He averages 40.91 in Tests

He would be like a rookie on that Perth wicket he's another one who is scared of bodyline bowling , he was good when he first came off the backfoot had a beautiful pull shot saw him in new Zealand, but deteriorated over time.

I think great injustice has been done with ahmed shehzad. He performed brilliantly in recent national t20 tournament. May be there is some substance in his statement because when you realize player like hasan ali gets selected in platinum category and then there is ahmed shehzad who does not even get a silver category slot. Totally incomprehensible.

What Shehzad is saying is right and he has been done extremely wrong by PSL and PCB alike. The fact that he was paired with an indisiplinced, incompetent, unfit, excuse maker Umar Akmal played a big role in his downfall.

Not only is Shehzad fit, he has toiled hard in domestics and performed really well.

In PSL, when you let the likes of Asif Ali, and Khushdil Shah play - not selecting someone like Shehzad is an absolute travesty.

In international cricket, when clowns like Imam can play, not having Shehzad as your test opener is another travesty.

Nadeem Omar in an interview:

Unfortunately, both Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad have a negative reputation attached to them and everyone knows about this. We chose to include them in our team when no one else was interested in them. We made sincere efforts to work with them, but unfortunately, it didn't yield any positive results. As a result, we have decided not to select such players in the future. Even Moin Khan, who is the best at managing people, has reached his limit and is unable to work with them anymore.

Unfortunately, both Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad have a negative reputation attached to them and everyone knows about this. We chose to include them in our team when no one else was interested in them. We made sincere efforts to work with them, but unfortunately, it didn't yield any positive results. As a result, we have decided not to select such players in the future. Even Moin Khan, who is the best at managing people, has reached his limit and is unable to work with them anymore.

These two helped Quetta win their last psl in 2019. Nadeem Omar might not have come out with this if Shehzad did not tweet what he did.

I believe he isn't wrong when he says he has toiled in domestics.

But the problem is that he thinks that toiling in domestics should be enough to get a license to play PSL.

Out of the thousands of players who play on the ATP tour, only 128 play in the main draw of a Grand Slam. You can toil away in ITF futures for 10 years but you cannot feel aggrieved that you didn't get to the main draw because you toiled hard. Sometimes you are just not good enough. Shehzad still doesn't realize that he is a category B player and was never category A who will be favored for selection no matter what. He is a good batsmen but not the best of the lot and the sooner he realizes it, the faster he can try for other ventures in life instead of cricket.

I like his attitude in terms of hard work and the desire to succeed. Wish our more famous cricketers like Babar would have the same attitude and discipline in life. But sometimes you have to accept your best is not as good as the best of others. Sometimes you have to accept the talent simply isn't at that level.

On that note, I hope he reads this message, doesn't get too disappointed and focuses on other aspects of his life especially since he is still young. If he puts hard work in other things, he is likely to succeed.

Performances in domestic cricket matters 1% in Pakistan, does he not realize that?

Performances in domestic cricket matters 1% in Pakistan, does he not realize that?​
I totally concur with you and this needs to change or else PCT would soon face the dilemma of West Indies Cricket Board. Players leaving out for playing overseas leagues.

So they continued with nonsense

Fair call

I think great injustice has been done with ahmed shehzad. He performed brilliantly in recent national t20 tournament. May be there is some substance in his statement because when you realize player like hasan ali gets selected in platinum category and then there is ahmed shehzad who does not even get a silver category slot. Totally incomprehensible.

Shehzad doesn’t deserve to be selected based on his past record in the PSL where his strike rate is 120 Umar Akmal at least has a very good strike rate of 141 which is a lot higher than some International players in the PSL but his fitness age and inconsistency count against him.

On best form Umar Akmal is a match winner on his day Shehzad has never shown that at any big tournament or any big T20 league.

In Pakistan you get dropped in one format based on performances in other formats that’s why Shehzad was dropped in test cricket.

Umar Akmal being dropped at a young age in tests was simply hard to justify his hundreds at high strike rates in Asia would be getting millions of views online but he never got any chance when he was younger.

Among the Top 8 openers in National T20, he had the lowest BPB, 3rd lowest SR. And 4 fifties which he scored were against debutants. 15 out of 23 bowlers were debutants.

View attachment 140288

The following list shows the openers picked by the franchises in the draft. All are far better than Ahmad Shahzad.

Alex Hales
Colin Munro
Jordan Cox
Shan Masood
James Vince
Fakhar Zaman
Sahibzada Farhan
Babar Azam
Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris
Jason Roy
Will Smeed
Dawid Malan
Reeza Hendricks
Jordan Cox
Mohammad Rizwan
When you look at this list, it's hard to justify giving a mediocre player like Shehzad a place in any team. He's clearly inferior to all openers who have been selected. There are younger and better players who are coming through that play a more modern form of cricket so he has no chance of ever playing in the PSL again without using unscrupulous means.

Fact of the matter is that franchises are about money and not a retirement fund for players,

They simply do not see his use.
Your point would be correct if franchises were making these picks based on stats and merit.

But at this point it’s been pretty much proved (and Ahmad has mentioned in his post as well) that there is a concerted lobby against him which will ensure he doesn’t play for Pakistan again.

The lobby has been there for half a decade now and now that their poster boy has become captain it pretty much means that Ahmad wouldn’t be picked even with AB DeVilliers peak stats.

damn, nadeem omar was the only guy who was willing to help these two and if he is the one saying this, this only shows the terrible attitude of ua and as

damn, nadeem omar was the only guy who was willing to help these two and if he is the one saying this, this only shows the terrible attitude of ua and as
Exactly Nadeem Omar was very patient with them and picked both of them supported them but clearly he has had enough of these two . What does that suggest ? Their is something wrong with their attitude

Your point would be correct if franchises were making these picks based on stats and merit.

But at this point it’s been pretty much proved (and Ahmad has mentioned in his post as well) that there is a concerted lobby against him which will ensure he doesn’t play for Pakistan again.

The lobby has been there for half a decade now and now that their poster boy has become captain it pretty much means that Ahmad wouldn’t be picked even with AB DeVilliers peak stats.
Lol. So now it's "proved" that there is a "concerted lobby against him".

How exactly has this been proved? Care to share the evidence? Or if it just because Ahmed Shahzad said so?

Who gains from this lobby by the way? Why on earth would a bunch of private entities get together to decide to exclude this one player? Like, "guys special meeting today to block the player we all hate!".

Ahmed Shahzad should keep on performing consistently to get the confidence of selectors again, but instead he chose this way. It will not get him anywhere near the team.

@MenInG i think this deserves a seperate thread cause nadeem omar was the only guy that backed these two and if he had a falling out that means all the stories we heard about these two was true.

name a player you would drop for him.

Shahzad needs to forget about LOI’s, his only way back into the Pakistan team is by performing in FC cricket.
Also, get off social media…the PR campaign to get him drafted into the PSL was embarrassing.

name a player you would drop for him.
It’s easier to make a list of who is ahead of him.

In Pakistan lineup only Babar Azam and Saud Shakeel are ahead of him in Tests and in ODIs/T20 only Babar and Fakhar

I believe 20:20 league teams are like the private sector, ruthless in selection and letting people go. They don’t care who deserves what, only who they think will help them win.

Heck Rohit Sharma just got sacked from Mumbai Indians captaincy and he was India’s OFI captain this WC.

Who gains from this lobby by the way? Why on earth would a bunch of private entities get together to decide to exclude this one player? Like, "guys special meeting today to block the player we all hate!".
The usual suspects India, RAW, bcci, etc... the lobby is being paid to keep the best batsman away from the International squad.

The players named in the squad will be assembling for a training camp, ahead of their departure. The camp will take place 28 December 2023 to 3 January 2024 in Lahore. Nine additional players have been called up to the camp: Mohammad Haris, Arif Yaqoob, Mohammad Imran, Mohammad Amir Khan, Sajjad Ali Jnr, Shahab Khan, Ahmed Shehzad, Kamran Ghulam and Omair Bin Yousuf.

The players named in the squad will be assembling for a training camp, ahead of their departure. The camp will take place 28 December 2023 to 3 January 2024 in Lahore. Nine additional players have been called up to the camp: Mohammad Haris, Arif Yaqoob, Mohammad Imran, Mohammad Amir Khan, Sajjad Ali Jnr, Shahab Khan, Ahmed Shehzad, Kamran Ghulam and Omair Bin Yousuf.
Ahmed shehzad has also received a call to the training camp. Is it another lollipop or we may see him in action for Pak in future. Only time will tell.

Competition for openers is too fierce. Either you go for Pakistani seniors who are currently internationals, or you go for promising emerging with potential like Saim and Haris, or you go for foreign internationals. Shehzad as a senior out of international spotlight it is difficult to include. Shehzad probably will do an alright job, but there’s no hidden potential like some others. And he won’t outperform guys like Rizwan,Babar, fakhar.

Middle order there’s so little competition it’s insane. Shehzad probably feels hard done comparing himself to some of the players selected there.

You could argue shehzad deserves at least a squad place. But difficult to keep a player well known like shehzad in Pakistan on the bench.

Maybe he needs to try and reinvent himself as a middle order batsman. Masood realised this, and shehzad is quite a bit more talented. I also think comparisons to umar are unfair. Shehzad toils in domestic, keeps himself fit. If he were a middle order player like umar he would have been selected by now.

If Shehzad wants a recall in the T-20 and ODI format start consistently striking at 150-175 to beat the competition.

I expect

1. A meeting with Zaka for a frank exchange of views
2. I will serve Pakistan type statement
3. Puts his name in for PSL next year.

OR

4. some supplementary ad hoc pic for a franchise now

And it begins

Invited to the camp

Will magically be deemed good enough to go to NZ...

I was not selected for PSL so I quit PSL. lol

Knew this was coming, it was either him or Umar Akmal. This time he beat Umar Akmal to it.

Anyways, pre-mature and dumb. Usually till the time PSL doesnt get started, alot of players pull out due to injury or noc so he would had been added later on.
Lol. What do Umar Akmal and Shahzad have in common? Nothing, except that they both happened to be recalled once at the same time. They are nothing alike as players or personalities. Umar Akmal is a far better class of player.

It's ridiculous comparing the two.

It reminds me of YK and Misbah retiring at the same time. Suddenly Misbah was elevated to the stature equivalent of YK, a man who made 10,000+ runs for Pakistan.

Ridiculous. Sometimes this country drives me crazy with sheer stupidity.

Lol. What do Umar Akmal and Shahzad have in common? Nothing, except that they both happened to be recalled once at the same time. They are nothing alike as players or personalities. Umar Akmal is a far better class of player.

It's ridiculous comparing the two.

It reminds me of YK and Misbah retiring at the same time. Suddenly Misbah was elevated to the stature equivalent of YK, a man who made 10,000+ runs for Pakistan.

Ridiculous. Sometimes this country drives me crazy with sheer stupidity.
Both threw away their career for having a poor attitude something that has been said by many people.

Lol a person who is not even good enough to play a psl is a better class o player? ok

Back