"Mentally and skill wise I have all it takes to play for Pakistan": Omair Bin Yousuf

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Karachi born Omair Bin Yousuf had a dream start to his First-class career when he hit 135 in his debut innings in 2018. Whilst the subsequent years did not yield the sort of performances the opening batter had hoped for, his persistence and hard-work got him selected by Quetta Gladiators in PSL 8 and his first First-class double-hundred in the recent Shaheens tour of Zimbabwe has reinforced his credentials as a promising prospect for Pakistan cricket.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Omair spoke about his career so far including his participation in PSL 8 and the Pakistan Shaheens tour of Zimbabwe, what impresses him most about his role models Babar Azam and Shoaib Malik, what he is looking to improve upon during the upcoming PCB Camp at the NHPC and his aspirations to play for Pakistan in all formats.

24256_3826773_updates.jpg

PakPassion.net: Do you feel your career has gone according to plan since your debut in First-class cricket in 2018?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
My First-class career started off very well as in my debut season I had 2 hundreds to my name, and I felt that the world was at my feet at that point. However, I do not feel I did justice to my talent in the subsequent seasons. Ups and downs are part of ones learning curve in this game and the main thing for me is that I have learnt much about my game during these seasons and I hopefully, I will be able to make marked improvements in my performances in future.

PakPassion.net: Scoring a century in the first innings of your First-class debut must have been hugely satisfying?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
Your debut innings is always a memorable one but to score a century in the first innings and then help Karachi Whites to an innings victory in that game was an extra special occasion and is a memory that I will cherish forever.

2322-2315-max.jpg

PakPassion.net: Is the opening slot your preferred batting position?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
To be honest, I love batting and it really does not matter which batting position I play in as I have batted at different positions during my career so far. Each batting position represents a different challenge, and this can vary in each match situation. So, to bat in different positions has been a great experience for a young player like me. I suppose I am lucky to have played at different positions and performed well when given the chance.

PakPassion.net: What sort of setbacks or challenges have you faced so far in your career?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
I feel that as a player, one will face a variety of challenges in their career and in a sense, the experience of highs and lows helps you become a better person and a player. When you face setbacks and you recover from them and learn valuable lessons, then you are less likely to make the same mistakes or put yourself in situations where you could be at a disadvantage. For me, the biggest setbacks and those that have troubled me the most are the periods of time when I was not scoring runs, but I overcame those setbacks with hard-work and feel that the experience of such hardship has turned me into a better player.

PakPassion.net: Babar Azam and Shoaib Malik have always been your role models, what qualities do you admire about them?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
I hold both players in high regard as both Shoaib Malik and Babar Azam are great players. They have dominated bowlers around the world and Babar Azam continues to do that even today. In fact, Babar Azam is in the top 5 in all rankings which is a great achievement. What I love about Babar is the way he stays on the wicket to score big and converts his fifties to hundreds which is exactly what I would like to do in my career. Babar's ability to play fast-bowlers with ease and the brilliant way in which Shoaib uses his feet to play spinners are qualities that I admire and want to emulate as well.

24864_7328548_updates.jpg

PakPassion.net: How was the experience of touring Zimbabwe recently with the Pakistan Shaheens squad?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
It was a great honour to be part of the Shaheen’s tour as when they happen, they are a great chance for domestic players like me to take these opportunities and showcase our skills.

We were playing a near international side in the One-Day games, so the opportunity to gain experience was a huge one for all of us. The level of competition in the six One-Day games was brilliant as we were confronted with almost their international side. On top of that the games were broadcast live which made them extra special because you know that the world is watching your performances. I for one enjoyed the games immensely and had some excellent performances to show for my efforts as well including scores of 65, 153 and 89* and of course the one that I enjoyed the most, 250*, in the 4-Day game.

PakPassion.net: So now you have a First-class double hundred to your name , do you feel the sky is the limit when it comes to red-ball cricket?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
I was absolutely overjoyed by my accomplishment in the 4-Day game versus Zimbabwe A. This was the highest ever score by a Pakistan A or Shaheens batter, and it came at a time when the side needed it most and it helped us defeat the hosts by 8 wickets. To me, apart from helping my side secure such a comprehensive win, the fact that I was able to convert a hundred into a double-hundred was a great achievement as I had been wanting to do that for a while and it was proving to be a frustration. But to do that on tour and in foreign surroundings has given me a lot of confidence for the future.

At this point, I must also thank our coaching staff who were instrumental in getting us ready for this tour and provided me with all the support I needed to perform well. They had told me that I was one of their main players and they expected good things from me which also gave me a lot of confidence, and I was glad that I was able to repay their trust in my abilities.

PakPassion.net: Speaking of coaching staff for Pakistan Shaheens, what was the experience of playing under the coaching of Aizaz Cheema?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
Let me start by saying that I have never come across a calmer and more composed person than our Head Coach Aizaz Cheema. He created a friendly environment in our dressing room which made a huge difference to our team as we were relaxed and able to carry out our tasks without any stress. He was very careful in making sure that the players were given control of what they did best instead of imposing his own style of thinking on them. He worked extremely hard with us on this tour and I am really honoured to have had a chance to work under him as he also made the whole experience very enjoyable and one that we will always remember for a long time to come.

PakPassion.net: How was your first experience in the 2023 edition of the Pakistan Super League?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
This was my debut year at the PSL and it was like a dream come true because like most youngsters, I had been hoping to play in this tournament and I finally got my chance. This is a tournament which is as close to international cricket as possible for players like me and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of being part of the Quetta Gladiators squad.

I got two chances to play and the feeling of playing in tense match situations, in front of large crowds and in games which were being televised the world over was simply awesome. The pressure of playing in PSL games, as many other international players have said as well, is the same as when they are playing international games so this is a huge stage for younger and inexperienced players to come and showcase their talents.

As for me, while I waited on the side-lines for my chance, I was working out in my mind how I would play under these game conditions, so I was mentally prepared when my chance to debut for Quetta came in the group game against Karachi Kings.

6wSxjWv.png

PakPassion.net: On that topic, talk us through that PSL innings of 67* you played against Multan Sultans?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
This was a game which is etched in my mind as it was a very tough game against the eventual finalists and very important for me, in terms of learning experience. We had a huge target of 263 to chase against a top-class bowling attack with the likes of Ihsanullah, Abbas Afridi and Usama Mir who had been firing on all cylinders throughout the tournament.

In fact, at one point we lost 3 wickets for 68 but along the way I had 2 excellent partnerships, one with Martin Guptill and then with Iftikhar Ahmed which took us on the right path in this very difficult chase. Eventually we lost the game by a margin of 9 runs which given the size of the target was amazing. As for me, my aim was to provide the best base for the players following me in the order but do it at a very good strike rate, which is what I achieved as I scored 67 in 36 balls.

Although this was my second game in the PSL, it was a high intensity game, and in front of a very lively crowd which made it a huge challenge but enjoyable as well. The applause after every good shot I played and the appreciation by the crowd throughout my innings was very pleasing and gave me a lot of confidence. These are the kinds of games we as cricketers live for and I was lucky to be part of it.

PakPassion.net: Playing under Sarfaraz Ahmed with Quetta Gladiators must have been a great experience?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
Even before playing for Quetta, I had already spent a lot of time with Sarfaraz as a player and also played under him as captain, so the experience of playing under his captaincy was not new to me in the PSL. He is a wonderful human being and he has a great relationship with the players on and off the field. Personally speaking, I really enjoy playing under Sarfaraz as he really supports his players and gives them confidence to always do better.

PakPassion.net: You are part of the NCA training camp ahead of the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka, what do you expect to gain from it and what areas do you wish to work upon to improve?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
This is the first time I have been called up to a camp which is preparing players for an international assignment, so I am very pleased and excited about it. The idea is to go in there to improve my skill set and test my skills against some high performing international players and get the guidance of our top coaches as well. These types of camps are essential for the development of a player if one wishes to play at the highest level. What I will be looking for is to play more fluently and improve my footwork against fast-bowlers and also get my feet moving quicker against spinners. Of course, I will be open to any other suggestions from the experienced coaches in the camp.

N1ompNi.png

PakPassion.net: Given your experience and how you have performed in the recent past, do you feel you are ready for Test cricket?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
Yes, I am all set to go in Tests based upon my experience and technical skills. I will be ready to respond if I am asked to play Tests soon. Mentally and skill wise I have all it takes to play for Pakistan not just in Tests but in any other format because I love this game and am prepared to bat at any position.

PakPassion.net: And finally, what has been the best advice you have received so far in your career, something you keep in mind every time you go out to play?

Omair Bin Yousuf:
I feel that the wise words of Mohammad Hafeez who was our senior player with Quetta Gladiators in PSL 8 are ones that I repeat to myself. He told us that if we wish to play cricket at the highest level then the only way to do that is to constantly look to improve oneself. One must look to upgrade skills at every opportunity and these are words that are stuck in my head. Hafeez felt that one had to look to add-on new skills or look to always improve current skills or else you would stagnate.

Just performing well is not enough but you need to assess how you can further improve yourself. This advice is one that is my guiding light and hopefully based on this, I will be able to continue to improve myself.

He's basically an improved version of Sarfaraz. Main difference being a better striker of the ball. Cuts the ball very hard.

He is a solid batter, technically very correct, compared to any new current middle order batter, including likes of Imran Butt and Gulam . He is ready for test and ODI debut .

Indications from domestic coaches and players are that this guy is one of the better upcoming batters in domestic cricket.

Most have suggested that his technique is pretty good and he could become a very decent Test cricketer providing he continues to improve.

He is a solid batter, technically very correct, compared to any new current middle order batter, including likes of Imran Butt and Gulam . He is ready for test and ODI debut .

Technically more correct than Abdullah Shafique ?

In the long format, there's no reason why cannot get a shot.

As per a media report, Omair Bin Yousuf and Mohammad Hurraira are likely to get their maiden Test call-up for the upcoming Sri Lanka tour.

Appointed vice captain for the Pakistan squad for the ACC Asian Emerging Cup.

Guess better than nothing. Now he must prove himself in this tournament and come back with a better case for selection at the senior lever.

Who are we looking at him replacing in the current Pakistan Test side?

Who's position is in doubt?

Karachi Whites v Faisalabad in QeA Trophy 2023/24

At the end of the previous day’s play, Karachi stood at 141, having lost just one wicket. Omair Bin Yousaf (84) and Ammad Alam remained unbeaten at the crease.

Play on the second day was delayed due to rain, and officially began at 4:00 pm, leading to a shortened day. Both Omair and Ammad lost their wickets and Rameez Aziz was also removed cheaply. Danish Aziz too could not contribute much.

Should play at no 3 for Pakistan in test. Get rid of shan masood omg.

I am super excited to see how OBY develops over the next couple seasons.
Seems like an awesome prospect who has the potential to be part of every format

I am super excited to see how OBY develops over the next couple seasons.
Seems like an awesome prospect who has the potential to be part of every format
He should be in test rather then shan masood.

Omair Bin Yousaf is playing a blinder of an inning today in the National T20 Cup for his team Karachi Whites against Dera Murad Jamali Region. He is at 59 runs of 38 balls atm chasing a target of 183 set but DMJ region.

At the number 3 batting order, Karachi Whites Omair Bin Yousuf scored 46 runs off 39 balls against Rawalpindi in the National T20 Cup 2023.

IMG-20231208-WA0098.jpg

He's a good player and will proberly get into the odi and test team in a year or so.

One of the batters who will soon be in the team. Very good batter and has a good technique as well. The only problem I feel is his that he throws his wicket away after being set on crease. Just like Saud.

His 70 runs highlights in Quaid e Azam Trophy today

I may be wrong but he barely seems to move his feet to the fast bowlers in this clip, except that second ball.

Is there someone who’s observed him closely enough to comment? If that’s the case then he will find it difficult to survive at the international level.

List A career: 30 AVG & 80 SR with only 1 century in 51 innings. Personally, I think he is just a red ball suited player.
Even in red ball his technique is suspect. He's a very good domestic player, but I don't see him succeeding at international level.

I may be wrong but he barely seems to move his feet to the fast bowlers in this clip, except that second ball.

Is there someone who’s observed him closely enough to comment? If that’s the case then he will find it difficult to survive at the international level.
Yes you are correct I have watched his batting a quite a bit. He will definitely play for Pakistan but I don't think he will succeed.

10th First Class century 120(152) for Omair Bin Yousuf.

His innings helped SNGPL to pile on a massive first-innings total of 424/7 against PTV in their allotted 80 overs in second round of President's Trophy 2023-24.

Last edited:
10th First Class century 120(152) for Omair Bin Yousuf.

His innings helped SNGPL to pile on a massive first-innings total of 424/7 against PTV in their allotted 80 overs in second round of President's Trophy 2023-24.
Highlights of his 10th first class century

Last edited:
This guy is a good batsman. Good technique and excellent timer of the ball. I would have liked to see him play a bit more in this tournament.

Should be concentrating on playing for pakistan in tests and maybe odis but defonitely should not be considered in t20s.

He's another example where he's not even played 50 FC matches at 25 years old that too in 6 years since making him FC debut.

From what I've seen, he seems to be a compact player, technical game is going well but needs to improve his game awareness and shot selection.

He could be an option in Test cricket but looking at how little we play of it in a year he could be well into his 30's by the time he is looked into in there.

Should be concentrating on playing for pakistan in tests and maybe odis but defonitely should not be considered in t20s.
He’s a very good T20 player. Why are Shan, Rizwan, Babar, Abdullah Shafique, Salman Agha playing T20 and he shouldn’t be playing? What’s the justification in that?

Fakhar based on what?
Based on the fact that his ability to play mighty innings makes him undroppable.

If fakhar was born In India, then he'd turn into their rohot sharma, since he'd be given world class coaches along with world class pitches alongside world class support to iron out his technique.

Rohit was in the same boat as fakhar 15 years ago, aka a dangerous player but extremely inconsistent and just a frustrating middle order bat for india, they identified how to improve him, they did the same with KL Rahul.

Only in Pakistan can a management so brainless decide that Abdullah and imam should be our frontline openers or fakhar should play at no 4 to accommodate an anchor in t20 who literally admits he can't function without babar hand holding him at opening.

This is what happens when you turn your only player who can play atg innings and shatter his confidence entirely because he can't kick off in one format by replacing him for another talentless accumulator rather then actually giving him world class treatment to turn him into the next rohit sharma which is exactly what would have happened if fakhar was born in India.

Theirs a reason India keeps finding players like Rahul, siraj, bumrah, kohli, pandya whenever their legends retire like Sachin, Dhoni etc it's because their able to identify promising players and give them world class facilities and training to become world class while Pakistan who clearly have higher ceiling players such as fakhar has a much ceiling then Rahul, but he'll never reach that level because our management is beyond clueless, which isn't surprising as this management wants shan to represent pur nation.

Omair is a good prospect and should be given a run in Tests maybe. but I am not sure that he will be playing T20i's anytime soon. Not many performances to back his selection.

He's raw, he needs to be developed, LEARN FROM BCCI AND SENA. Please 🙏🏻

He’s a very good T20 player. Why are Shan, Rizwan, Babar, Abdullah Shafique, Salman Agha playing T20 and he shouldn’t be playing? What’s the justification in that?
Agha can bowl.

Were should be bat in t20s then i will tell you.

Based on the fact that his ability to play mighty innings makes him undroppable.

If fakhar was born In India, then he'd turn into their rohot sharma, since he'd be given world class coaches along with world class pitches alongside world class support to iron out his technique.

Rohit was in the same boat as fakhar 15 years ago, aka a dangerous player but extremely inconsistent and just a frustrating middle order bat for india, they identified how to improve him, they did the same with KL Rahul.

Only in Pakistan can a management so brainless decide that Abdullah and imam should be our frontline openers or fakhar should play at no 4 to accommodate an anchor in t20 who literally admits he can't function without babar hand holding him at opening.

This is what happens when you turn your only player who can play atg innings and shatter his confidence entirely because he can't kick off in one format by replacing him for another talentless accumulator rather then actually giving him world class treatment to turn him into the next rohit sharma which is exactly what would have happened if fakhar was born in India.

Theirs a reason India keeps finding players like Rahul, siraj, bumrah, kohli, pandya whenever their legends retire like Sachin, Dhoni etc it's because their able to identify promising players and give them world class facilities and training to become world class while Pakistan who clearly have higher ceiling players such as fakhar has a much ceiling then Rahul, but he'll never reach that level because our management is beyond clueless, which isn't surprising as this management wants shan to represent pur nation.
Another essay. Can you give us the stats of fakhar opening in t20 international? If they are decent he should open if not no need to talk about ifs.

Not sure what on earth is some of stuff in the post fakhar is born is Pakistan and playing for Pakistan not India. What sort of logic is that? If I had wings I could fly.

He is going nowhere fast. He needs to open and let himself go. In the middle order he looks very average, verging on the rubbish. Just like Saud has created a spot for himself by taking his opportunity, Omair needs to do the same.

He is going nowhere fast. He needs to open and let himself go. In the middle order he looks very average, verging on the rubbish. Just like Saud has created a spot for himself by taking his opportunity, Omair needs to do the same.
Agreed and he was an opener in his u19 days and initially in domestics too.

Omair has been playing in the middle order for a long time now. He should have grabbed that opportunity to make way for himself. If he just wants to be an opener, he might not be getting into the team anytime soon. Pakistan has pretty settled 1,2,3 and 4.

i think Omair bin Yousaf is not playing on his natural position its better for quetta to either make him play as an opener or at number 3 position there is no point sending him lower down the order where he never played before.

Omair Bin Yousuf was a lone fighter for his team Quetta Gladiators as he scored a brilliant 50 runs off 37 deliveries but couldnt get gim team over the line.

In a post-match press conference Omair Bin Yousuf shared insights on his learning experience while playing under the mentorship of Shane Watson and Rilee Rossouw, he said:

"In the team, I have learned a lot from both players [Rilee Rossouw and Shane Watson] because they are both wonderful players and the best in this format. They kept the environment so friendly even though Rilee Rossouw couldn't score many runs in this PSL But still, how he kept going within the tournament and how he brought the whole team together as a captain, along with how Shane Watson led us was the best learning curve for me. I also gained experience in how I should play cricket in the future and will try to implement it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Omair bin Yousuf has become a prominent name in domestic cricket, improving day by day. He scored 78 runs off 78 balls for SNGPL against HEC in the President's Cup 2024. He could be an option for Pakistan in the middle order. An interesting fact is his FC batting average, which stands at 42.26.

Back