Umeed-e-Sahar - Laal

Love this song,

You have to listen to it two three times and allow it to grow on you.

I had this on repeat for the whole day a couple of days ago, absolutely love it. By the way, Taimur was an instructor at LUMS and Shahram his student, a couple of years my junior. Both of them have communist ideologies, hence the band name "Laal". They also are members of a political party Communist Mazdoor Kisan Party (CMKP).

Is that "mein nai usse yeh kaha"? (can't see it at work)

It was originally written by Habib Jalib for Zia ul Haq but it was easily applied to Musharraf.

Funny how many political poems from that era fit so well on Musharraf.
Another one is Ahmed Faraz's "Aaj merai bazoo mein woh shamsheer hai jau, is se pehle bhi mera nisf badan kaat chuki"

Wazeeri said:
Is that "mein nai usse yeh kaha"? (can't see it at work)

It was originally written by Habib Jalib for Zia ul Haq but it was easily applied to Musharraf.

Funny how many political poems from that era fit so well on Musharraf.
Another one is Ahmed Faraz's "Aaj merai bazoo mein woh shamsheer hai jau, is se pehle bhi mera nisf badan kaat chuki"
"Mein nai usse yeh kaha" was basically a satirical poem written for Hafiz Jalindhari who was an advisor of Ayub Khan but it basically applies to all the dictators (Zia, Mush etc) as it describes the thinking of an authoritarian leader.

McBoom said:
all the dictators (Zia, Mush etc) as it describes the thinking of an authoritarian leader.

Then it should apply to bhutto as well since he was the biggest authoritarian leader of Pakistan...

There is huge stench of hypocracy permeating these surkhay poets' writings, all their indignant hogwash don't apply to their ideologically aligned leaders, such as comrade bhutto...

Cheguvera said:
Then it should apply to bhutto as well since he was the biggest authoritarian leader of Pakistan...

There is huge stench of hypocracy permeating these surkhay poets' writings, all their indignant hogwash don't apply to their ideologically aligned leaders, such as comrade bhutto...
Don't know what you are talking about because Jalib was imprisoned in Bhutto's era as well. All because he stuck to his guns.

I must say, some people may not like the 'modernisation' of these classic poems but it really does 'stand out' to youngsters to get into the shers.

[UTUBE]ADKpTm8uWPo[/UTUBE]

Kia baat hai

I heard this alongside other adaptations by Laal and it just got me searching for and listening to other poems by Habib Jalib, Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Ahmed Faraz etc.

it says that the video has been removed by the user. Anyone else have an alternate copy?

Laal's 3rd album Rang is out now.

In the house of lovers, the music never stops, the walls are made of songs & the floor dances. - Rumi

"Extremists have undermined our arts, our literature, our music and our culture. Life without art, is a life without color. It is time to take it all back".

Take an axe to the prison wall, escape walk out like someone suddenly born into color. Do it now. - Rumi

Back