[VIDEO] Are Multan Sultans the new PSL chokers? Saj reviews Multan Sultans' PSL 9

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Multan faced yet another FINAL defeat in the HBL PSL 9 in what turned out to be the 3rd consecutive loss in the finals of the Sultans. In his series of PSL 9 team reviews, Saj talks about the scintillating final match and Multan Sultan's journey.

An ideal start of the tournament: Sultans managed to win 7 out of their 10 group stage matches and lost three with close margins. They just brushed aside Zalmi in the first qualifier, but again, in the end, it was close but no cigar for them.

Highlights of the batting performance: Overreliance on Usman Khan and Iftikhar Ahmed for batting firepower was the hallmark of Sultans batting. The rest of the players, like Rizwan and Reeza Hendricks, just played the second fiddle

Formidable bowling unit: The brilliance of Usama Mir, Mohammad Ali, David Willey, Abbas Afridi and others made Sultans undoubtedly the best bowling unit of the tournament. On top of that strong performances from part timers like Khushdil Shah and Iftikhar just reinforced their bowling prowess as a unit.

Rizwan's savvy captaincy: Enabled him to get the best out of his players, clever bowling changes did the trick for his side and his composed demeanor with a beaming smile on his face kept his players charged during the course of entire tournament.

Multan Sultans- The Newfound Chokers of PSL: After losing three finals on trot and that too after being the favorites in each occasion, just demonstrate us how Multan Sultans have emerged as the new chokers of PSL.

Headaches for Multan Sultans this season: Rizwan's poor & abysmal strike rate of 122.24 on top of the batting order coupled with some underwhelming batting performances from Dawid Malan and Johnson Charles were some low points for Multan this season.

Critique on management tactics: The penultimate blunder of sending the big gun, Iftikhar Ahmed, at number 8 in the PSL 9 Final

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the thing that let MS down was batting in all three finals of the PSL. They simply just shake in their boots and don't bat properly in the finals. If not for Iftikhar's fireworks in PSL 9 final it would have been a one sided story.

Its just that luck was not with them otherwise I dont think they get nervous or play bad cricket under pressure. In fact in the final against Islamabad they had the upper hand for most of the match.

Its just that luck was not with them otherwise I dont think they get nervous or play bad cricket under pressure. In fact in the final against Islamabad they had the upper hand for most of the match.
Usama Mir's spell just ruined it for them and later the poor field placement in Jordan's over.

If I analyze why Multan Sultans lost three finals in a row, it's primarily due to poor performances of Khushdil Shah, Shahnawaz Dahani, and a lack of trust in emerging talent.

Mohammad Rizwan's individual performance in finals is as follows:

- PSL final 2022: 14 runs off 12 balls
- PSL final 2023: 34 runs off 23 balls
- PSL final 2024: 26 runs off 26 balls

Looking at Khushdil Shah performances:

In PSL 2022, Khushdil Shah scored 153 runs with a highest score of 32 in 12 matches

In PSL 2023, Khushdil Shah managed 72 runs in 11 matches with a highest score of 25

In PSL 2024, Khushdil Shah scored 68 runs in 10 matches with a highest score of 28*

Regarding Shahnawaz Dahani's performance:

In PSL 2022, Dahani was impressive with 17 wickets in 11 matches at an economy rate of 9.33

In PSL 2023, he played only 1 match and took 1 wicket conceding 40 runs

In PSL 2024, he only managed to take 1 wicket in 4 matches

It's evident that, apart from Abbas Afridi, Multan Sultans haven't invested in nurturing other emerging talents.

If I analyze why Multan Sultans lost three finals in a row, it's primarily due to poor performances of Khushdil Shah, Shahnawaz Dahani, and a lack of trust in emerging talent.

Mohammad Rizwan's individual performance in finals is as follows:

- PSL final 2022: 14 runs off 12 balls
- PSL final 2023: 34 runs off 23 balls
- PSL final 2024: 26 runs off 26 balls

Looking at Khushdil Shah performances:

In PSL 2022, Khushdil Shah scored 153 runs with a highest score of 32 in 12 matches

In PSL 2023, Khushdil Shah managed 72 runs in 11 matches with a highest score of 25

In PSL 2024, Khushdil Shah scored 68 runs in 10 matches with a highest score of 28*

Regarding Shahnawaz Dahani's performance:

In PSL 2022, Dahani was impressive with 17 wickets in 11 matches at an economy rate of 9.33

In PSL 2023, he played only 1 match and took 1 wicket conceding 40 runs

In PSL 2024, he only managed to take 1 wicket in 4 matches

It's evident that, apart from Abbas Afridi, Multan Sultans haven't invested in nurturing other emerging talents.
@Rana would be happy to see this. Although Rizwan wasn't the only choker here

@Rana would be happy to see this. Although Rizwan wasn't the only choker here
What difference does it make to me or Pakistan? It doesn’t remove Rizwan from the Pakistan side does it? I would only be happy if Rizwan is removed because I don’t think he deserves a spot and especially one that is made only to suit him whilst the whole team is unbalanced

What difference does it make to me or Pakistan? It doesn’t remove Rizwan from the Pakistan side does it? I would only be happy if Rizwan is removed because I don’t think he deserves a spot and especially one that is made only to suit him whilst the whole team is unbalanced
He is getting his position back as his bestie is going to be the captain again.

When it really mattered they bottled it.

Even the final, they should have won it.

Seems to be a mental weakness in the setup.

Back