[VIDEO] "Calling someone a sifarshi is saying they are a cheat": Shan Masood

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Shan Masood chats with Saj about his stint as captain at Yorkshire CCC, his Test and ODI performances to date, the abuse he has received from some fans, why some of the criticism he receives is unfair, what areas he needs to improve upon, his appointment as Pakistan ODI vice-captain, Pakistan's chances at the World Cup, the upcoming tour of Sri Lanka, Jonny Bairstow's stumping against Australia and more.

The amount of chances he has got is insane .he shouldn't be part of odi team .We don't need him

Shaan needs to realise that without sifarish he wouldn't be playing with an average of 32 in tests. Without sifarish, he wouldn't be in the ODI team

Interesting point that Shan makes about differentiating between abuse and criticism.

Some folk feel that they have the right to abuse players and their families, which in my view is not acceptable.

Interesting point that Shan makes about differentiating between abuse and criticism.

Some folk feel that they have the right to abuse players and their families, which in my view is not acceptable.
I am not sure who is abusing him but he knows that he has had a very long rope, which his performances haven't deserved.

He mentions in the interview abuse at matches and also I dread to think what some of these guys social media timelines are like.

Yes criticise, but why the abuse!

Makes no difference. He has played enough matches to have made a significant impact for PK. His career has had a few highs, many lows and mostly nothings
true, but his initial selection was justified in limited overs cricket.

The problem with Shan is that he has adapted Bazball, which with his skill level will give him 25-50 runs at the most.

So Shan not part of the ACC Asia Cup or Afghanistan series

Reason given

Shan has missed out on selection following a string of low-scores

Sense prevailed finally. Nothing against Shan, he is just a mediocre player who was getting a free ride in all formats.

I would keep Shan for the Aus tour. Then blood Huraira or Omair Bin Yousuf for the home series.

So Shan not part of the ACC Asia Cup or Afghanistan series

Reason given

Shan has missed out on selection following a string of low-scores

Laughable reason given by the Chief Selector. The presser felt like an ambush on Shan and showed his clear dislike for Shan (Inzi was also chief selector in 2019 when Shan wasn't selected in the WC squad). Inzi picks up a piece of paper to read out the stats of only Shan but of course as the whole of PCT does when discussing Shan Masood's career (any format) doesn't give context.
Shan's 9 ODI innings are spread out over 4 years - 5 matches against Aus before the 2019 WC and 4 matches against NZ and out of those 4, one was played in January and the other three in Apr-May. A guy who averages almost 55 in List A should be afforded a longer run in the team rather than being discarded because he couldn't score playing with a broken in his last 3 ODIs against NZ. But again context is important.
Now coming to the guy who was chosen above him - Abdullah has played 7 List A games (4 List A, 3 ODIs) of which he has no 50s or 100s and has a high score 19 in ODI and 28 in List A. Inzi said he was 'in form' that's why he preferred but the only notable inning he scored was the 200 in Tests in SL and before that some stupid people were calling for him to be dropped!! (thankfully he wasn't because you stick with your players!!)
Shan was the clear and easy choice to make to put in your 15 for the WC (I'm not saying 11) but Inzi's justifications are just laughable.
Sorry for the long rant.

Nothing against Shan, he doesn't deserve to represent Pakistan in an ODI WC. His T20i stats are good, shoud be selected for T20 WC 2024.

Laughable reason given by the Chief Selector. The presser felt like an ambush on Shan and showed his clear dislike for Shan (Inzi was also chief selector in 2019 when Shan wasn't selected in the WC squad). Inzi picks up a piece of paper to read out the stats of only Shan but of course as the whole of PCT does when discussing Shan Masood's career (any format) doesn't give context.
Shan's 9 ODI innings are spread out over 4 years - 5 matches against Aus before the 2019 WC and 4 matches against NZ and out of those 4, one was played in January and the other three in Apr-May. A guy who averages almost 55 in List A should be afforded a longer run in the team rather than being discarded because he couldn't score playing with a broken in his last 3 ODIs against NZ. But again context is important.
Now coming to the guy who was chosen above him - Abdullah has played 7 List A games (4 List A, 3 ODIs) of which he has no 50s or 100s and has a high score 19 in ODI and 28 in List A. Inzi said he was 'in form' that's why he preferred but the only notable inning he scored was the 200 in Tests in SL and before that some stupid people were calling for him to be dropped!! (thankfully he wasn't because you stick with your players!!)
Shan was the clear and easy choice to make to put in your 15 for the WC (I'm not saying 11) but Inzi's justifications are just laughable.
Sorry for the long rant.

Yes, you are right, context is important. Let's have a deep dive into the white ball stats of the almost 34 year old Shan Masood.

Shan has played 9 ODIs and 19 T20I with the total white ball innings at 26. Of those 26 innings he has 4 50s to his name. Of those 4 50s, Pakistan has lost in all of these games. Shan, on multiple occasions, has been put in situations were his performance would be vital in the victory of Pakistan but has failed in all of these situations.

He was given the chance to show his performance in the Australia series in 2019 by opening in all 5 games on flat tracks and he was only able to make 40 and 50 in losing causes. The New Zealand series was just the nail in the coffin, as Pakistan couldn't afford to keep playing Shan over Imam or Fakhar so close to the World Cup.

He can't play in the middle and he has shown he is an unreliable opener on flat tracks even with all the experience that he has at 34 years old. Shan simply doesn't fit into the team.

On the other hand, Abdullah Shafique is a young and up and coming batsman who has shown great resiliance in Tests multiple times (unlike Shan who has one or 2 good innings spaced out over all his career) and shown great acceleration in PSL by playing in the middle order and opening the batting. He is young, inform and most importantly versatile. Abdullah could open or be put in the middle order and we have seen his great ability against spin in test cricket.

Shan simply has not taken the chances he was given, and I think Inzamam and most PCT fans can see that Abdullah, even though unproven in ODI and even T20i, has great potential and will learn a tremendous amount from participating in the Asia Cup and World Cup like Mohammad Haris did in the last World Cup. This experience may come in use for Abdullah and the PCT in the future while Shan really only brings a lack of experience and uncertainty of performance from an old cricketer.

Yes, you are right, context is important. Let's have a deep dive into the white ball stats of the almost 34 year old Shan Masood.

Shan has played 9 ODIs and 19 T20I with the total white ball innings at 26. Of those 26 innings he has 4 50s to his name. Of those 4 50s, Pakistan has lost in all of these games. Shan, on multiple occasions, has been put in situations were his performance would be vital in the victory of Pakistan but has failed in all of these situations.

He was given the chance to show his performance in the Australia series in 2019 by opening in all 5 games on flat tracks and he was only able to make 40 and 50 in losing causes. The New Zealand series was just the nail in the coffin, as Pakistan couldn't afford to keep playing Shan over Imam or Fakhar so close to the World Cup.

He can't play in the middle and he has shown he is an unreliable opener on flat tracks even with all the experience that he has at 34 years old. Shan simply doesn't fit into the team.

On the other hand, Abdullah Shafique is a young and up and coming batsman who has shown great resiliance in Tests multiple times (unlike Shan who has one or 2 good innings spaced out over all his career) and shown great acceleration in PSL by playing in the middle order and opening the batting. He is young, inform and most importantly versatile. Abdullah could open or be put in the middle order and we have seen his great ability against spin in test cricket.

Shan simply has not taken the chances he was given, and I think Inzamam and most PCT fans can see that Abdullah, even though unproven in ODI and even T20i, has great potential and will learn a tremendous amount from participating in the Asia Cup and World Cup like Mohammad Haris did in the last World Cup. This experience may come in use for Abdullah and the PCT in the future while Shan really only brings a lack of experience and uncertainty of performance from an old cricketer.

Pakistan better or worse with Shan Masood in the ODI line-up?

Shan Masood's recent stats indicate challenges in adapting to the playing requirements at this level. So i won't pick him for ODI or t20 cricket

2155 runs in 58 matches for Pakistan

Happy birthday to the left-hand opening batter, Shan Masood

Maybe...he was the answer?. With so many failures in the lineup with no tangible benefits, his grindings scores were missed on Saturday.

Then again he often just makes 15 (40)

Maybe...he was the answer?. With so many failures in the lineup with no tangible benefits, his grindings scores were missed on Saturday.

Then again he often just makes 15 (40)
He played world T20. How come he is not part of ODI set up? Is it due to ODI wizard Imam?

Should have been persisted with after the 2019 world cup.

This is the issue with the way PCT selects. Top performers are only given 1-3 games to perform and considering how much pressure they are already under, it is no surprise to see them struggle.

Even if guys like Masood do perform, they are made to bat in position where they usually don't and I think no matter the talent one has, in such situations it is hard to replicate your best

A phenomenal 180 off 182 balls in the first innings and a quick 51 off 26 balls in the second. A remarkable player indeed.

Should have been in the ODI squad which is his best format but keeps getting selected in tests and t20i

Should have been in the ODI squad which is his best format but keeps getting selected in tests and t20i
Na, not needed in ODI. In t20 he did well. MCG required strike rotation, not boundary hitting.

Shan Masood scored 121* off 99 balls against Lahore Whites in Pakistan Cup 2023-24. His 15th List A Century

Shan Masood narrowly missed out his century today against Lahore blues. He managed to score 99 off 68.

His innings helped Karachi Whites to chase down 198 in quick time and qualify for the semi-finals.

I would love to be proved wrong by Shan but somehow feel that this latest elevation will bring him down fast and could well spell the end of his Test career.

Shan's background will come into play everytime he fails.

Sifrarshi T20 captain and Test captain. What was that shot? Are you playing Derbyshire 2nd XI????

Red carpet entry into the T20 side

The jack… Cheema guy in the Pakistan set up says Shan is a like for like player to David Malan.

This is how off the mark we are as a cricketing nation! Babar is Kohli, Rizwan is Gilchrist and Shan is Malan!!!

Fifty up for the Pakistan Test team and Yorkshire captain against Gloucestershire in the 2024 county season. A much needed performance for him.

Last edited:
Fifty up for the Pakistan Test team and Yorkshire captain against Gloucestershire in the 2024 county season. A much needed performance for him.
💯 Up for Shan now. At 106* vs Gloucestershire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan Masood can be criticised for many things, but not for being self aware.

Just a complain against Shan where does his form flee in the Internationals?
He's a proper test batsman. In the tour of Australia was the second best scorer behind Rizwan. Pointless playing him in limited overs cricket, he's a quality test batsman.

He's a proper test batsman. In the tour of Australia was the second best scorer behind Rizwan. Pointless playing him in limited overs cricket, he's a quality test batsman.
Proper test batter? How?
33 test matches and average of just 28. LOL He is not even fit for the spot in the team but he still ended up being the captain of the side.

Cmon, he is miles away from being a proper test batsman. 6 innings, 180 odd runs at an average of 30 is pretty mediocre. Saying he was the 2nd highest Pak run scorer on that tour is misleading.

Proper test batter? How?
33 test matches and average of just 28. LOL He is not even fit for the spot in the team but he still ended up being the captain of the side.

Cmon, he is miles away from being a proper test batsman. 6 innings, 180 odd runs at an average of 30 is pretty mediocre. Saying he was the 2nd highest Pak run scorer on that tour is misleading.
Most of the teams stat kings make up their numbers with what exactly each and everyone knows. In the last tour of Australia he was among the few who made scores and folk here say he can't play pace. Sometimes I wonder if they even watch the game or simply the highlights.

Most of the teams stat kings make up their numbers with what exactly each and everyone knows. In the last tour of Australia he was among the few who made scores and folk here say he can't play pace. Sometimes I wonder if they even watch the game or simply the highlights.
Shan masood has consistently proven he's a failure.

Him being the 2nd best batsmen in a failed series means nothing.

For 10 years, I repeat 10 long years he's been consistently the worst test batsmen in Pakistan's history.

I am not sure what you’re trying to say. Are Shan’s stats in Australia made up? The numbers are there to see just like his pathetic batting.

Shan masood has consistently proven he's a failure.

Him being the 2nd best batsmen in a failed series means nothing.

For 10 years, I repeat 10 long years he's been consistently the worst test batsmen in Pakistan's history.
Modern day Ramiz Raja

Shan Masood has a pathetic record in test cricket. One good tour of Australia and tbh it was not even good, it was just an inch better than other batters for once. So based on 1 Better-than-other series you want shan to keep representing Pakistan?

Back