[VIDEOS] Shan Masood as captain for Yorkshire CCC (signed a 2-year deal starting in 2023) - Performance Watch

Shan Masood says a lack of consistency in performance has hurt Yorkshire in their Metro Bank One-Day Cup campaign, which came to an end with defeat against Middlesex at Radlett today.

The Vikings were beaten by five wickets defending 254 in Hertfordshire, ending the competition with four defeats, two wins and two rainy No Results.

Today was a fixture between two teams who couldn’t qualify, and Masood stood out for Yorkshire with 96 as he led the recovery from 29-3 batting first.

Later, off-spinner Jack Shutt impressed with 4-49 from 10 overs as Middlesex stumbled from 171-1 to 201-5. But quick-fire top order half-centuries from Joe Cracknell and Sam Robson had given them breathing space as the Vikings erred early on with the ball.

“We were not so great today,” said captain Masood.

“In terms of the toss, we won it and batted on a pitch which changed quite significantly once the sun came in and dried it out.

“For us, today was more about moving forwards as a team than just getting a result. We could have easily put them in, but I thought we hadn’t batted well against the new ball. Today was another chance to put ourselves in challenging conditions.

“Again, we had a little collapse at the top, losing three wickets.

“The lesson we will keep beating is that if the ball’s doing a bit at the top – their bowlers kept it in a good area for long periods of time – you sometimes have to graft it out and start over again.

“Instead of myself and Revis, if it was the top two or three batters batting after 10 overs, that allows us to take more risks at certain points and post a bigger score. We didn’t have that luxury.

“When we bowled, yes conditions got easier, but where we disciplined enough? I don’t think so.

“If we’d have bowled better early on, Jack Shutt then comes on and gets those four wickets and we could have instead had around 100 runs to play with.

“When it’s a young side, sometimes you learn it the hard way. And we’re doing that.

“But we have to put all those behind us. We still have four Championship games to play.”

Masood went on: “I feel with both bat and ball in this competition, we haven’t been consistent.

“There have been good performances on and off. But has anyone done anything consistently to stake a big claim?

“There have been other teams, some younger and less in-experienced teams, who have come in and delivered.”

This was Masood’s top-score in all cricket in his first season at Yorkshire, just topping the 95 not out he scored in the second innings of the Championship win over Derbyshire at Chesterfield in June.

“I’m not getting that hundred,” he said.

“That’s been the story of 2023. I feel like I’m leaving things half-cooked.

“There have been a lot of instances in all the cricket I’ve played where there’s been 40s, 70s, 80s and now a 90.

“I felt I didn’t finish well today and lost a bit of momentum towards the end.”

And on the other standout performer, Shutt, he added: “To Shutty, it’s not been an easy job coming in and out of the squad.

“He took a difficult job when they were on the offensive.

“He bowled really well, and he did at Leicester. I think his first four overs went for nine there. Essex he bowled brilliantly as well.”

Yorkshire are next in action against Derbyshire at Scarborough, starting September 3. That is the first of four remaining games in the LV= Insurance County Championship.

He should just continue as a county player and why not if he is selected in tests.
But being captain of Yorkshire is already a big thing for him.

Captain's knock by Shan Masood in the 2nd innings against Derbyshire, 86(85)

Hundred hero Shan Masood hailed a fantastic first day for Yorkshire against Glamorgan in Cardiff, admitting his pride at a series of contributions to an imposing batting performance.

Captain Masood won the toss, elected to bat and ended the day on 113 not out in 330-3. But he was backed up expertly by Fin Bean’s 93, Adam Lyth’s 49 and George Hill’s 51 not out.

Yorkshire’s top order excelled on a slow pitch first used for the ODI international here on Friday.

The day started at 12.10pm following rain, though the toss did take place on time at 10.30am in a short dry window. The covers came off just moments beforehand but went back on within minutes of the Pakistan international electing to bat as the rain returned.

He said: “It was a bit chaotic at the start of the day. They just removed the covers before the toss, and we were taken by surprise that it was the same pitch they played the England v New Zealand ODI on.

“It was going to be a tricky decision with the overheads and rain around.

“Also, we looked at if there’s going to be a fourth day, how will the wicket play on that fourth day. I’m glad the boys said they wanted to bat in that short space of time.

“Our openers were brilliant in the way they set the game up.

“It’s a different wicket, and it requires a different method to bat on. You have to accumulate, run hard and take a lot of singles because once they spread the field, the boundary options were never going to be easy. There was a bit of grip for the spinner.

“I’m very proud to see how some of the younger boys – George Hill and Fin Bean – applied themselves. Adam Lyth obviously as well.”

This was Masood’s first century in Yorkshire colours.

“Nineties are always nervous,” he smiled.

“From the late eighties to a hundred, there was one two and everything else was a single. It took its time. It was small, short yard passes from a quarterback rather than a Hail Mary pass.

“On 96, I was tempted to go down the ground and smash one. But I’ve had a few bad experiences with that.”

Masood has opened the batting for Yorkshire this year. He did so on debut against Durham at the Riverside in May. But he has since dropped down the order and came in at three today.

It’s clear from his comments, though, that he’s an opener at heart. That is his natural position.

“They say as an opening batter, there are going to be more low scores than high scores,” he said. “And some of the greatest openers in the world have always made sure that when they’ve had that century, they’ve made it big.

“As an opener, that’s always the task. We’ll see whether it happens or not. Tomorrow is a new day.”

The first port of call tomorrow is for Yorkshire to pass 450 for maximum batting points and then look to get bowling.

Masood added: “We were speaking about. If you want to get 20 wickets on this wicket, you probably have to look to bat once.

“We’ve set ourselves a good platform, but how do we take it on tomorrow. There’s going to be a new ball in a couple of overs. They’ve bowled well with a good attack. It will be a challenge.”

Shan now on 174* - leading from the front.

Shan Masood has the potential to play as an ODI player. It's surprizing to me why he hasn't been chosen for the Asia Cup?

Otis Gibson praised captain Masood, who played in dreamy fashion today.

“We know Shan’s a top, top player,” he said.

“He did it at Derbyshire last year. When he wasn’t selected for Pakistan (World Cup squad), it hurt him and it showed in his cricket. But once he knuckled down and got back to it, he showed that he’s a fantastic player. Hopefully we can have him for a lot more next year.

“He’s our club captain, and I know if we have him for the full season there’s almost a guarantee of 1,000 runs off his bat.”

Was good in the Sri Lanka series and with his form in county picking up he can be a key asset in Australia. Best player in bouncy conditions we have

Really hope Shan performs in the Australia Test series! The way he is playing now would be perfect counter attack to the aussies pace battalion. Hopefully the aussies rest or rotate their big guns for one or two games so that Pakistan might put up a fight and we get some exciting cricket.

GIBSON CONFIDENT ON MASOOD AVAILABILITY

Ottis Gibson says the indication from Shan Masood is that his Test captaincy role with Pakistan will not have a significant impact on his overseas availability with Yorkshire in 2024.

Yorkshire coach Gibson has spoken to the prolific left-handed batter about his availability.

Masood scored 720 runs in seven LV= Insurance County Championship appearances for the county last season – his first at Headingley.

Across all three competitions in 2023, the 34-year-old scored 1,126 runs in 26 appearances with five fifties, two hundreds and at an average of 40.21.

Masood was appointed Pakistan’s Test captain in November, replacing fellow batter Babar Azam, and he has taken charge of his first series in Australia.

When moving from Derbyshire ahead of last summer, Masood signed a two-year overseas contract at Headingley.

In 2024, Pakistan have scheduled home Test series against the West Indies, Bangladesh and England and an away series in South Africa.

The West Indies series is in early 2024, while the England and South Africa series fall later in the year. Only Bangladesh is scheduled to be played through the English summer, in August.

He is currently not in their limited overs plans.

“I’ve spoken to Shan, and he doesn’t seem to think that the Test captaincy will affect his availability for us too much,” confirmed Gibson.

Pakistan lost the first Test in Perth before Christmas, in which Masood scored 30 and two, and they are aiming to fight back in the ongoing Boxing Day Test in Melbourne.

Masood, batting at three, scored 54 as Pakistan closed today’s second day on 194-6 in reply to a first-innings 318.

“Pakistan have a short series during our summer, but the rest of their Test Cricket is at the back end of the year.”

“To be captain of your country is a big deal,” continued Gibson. “The fact that he’s Yorkshire captain and now is the captain of Pakistan, to me that is a big deal, and I’m absolutely delighted for him.”

Despite his experience in the game, Masood is still relatively new to captaincy. For example, the ongoing Boxing Day Test is only the 36th first-class match he has skippered a team, with previous experience also coming in Pakistani domestic cricket.

And after confirming that Masood is happy with the workload of combining the Test captaincy with leadership at Headingley – “Yes, for sure,” he said – Gibson believes captaining Yorkshire will be a good thing for the Kuwait-born star.

“I think the domestic captaincy will help him going forward as a Test captain,” he added.

“Here at Yorkshire, he is having to build relationships and find out how to get the best out of our players. He will know the Pakistan players much more, but he is still finding ways to get the best out of them.

“He is developing a captaincy style, so the more he can do it the better.”

Source :Yorkshire cc

Pakistan's Test captain, Shan Masood, in an interview with a Pakistani media outlet, talked about his stint at Yorkshire:

"Of course, any experience of captaincy can only aid you. I’ve been very lucky in terms of the captaincy exposure and help I’ve got from the support staff along the way."

"I like how England has shown how things can be done in a different way. That’s a life lesson in disguise — just because something is done one way doesn’t mean it’s the right or only way. I want us to be a team that plays attractive and fearless cricket that wins us games."

Can only bash 80-82mph swing bowlers who doesn’t get much bounce , any seam movement or extra bounce or 86/87mph bowling and he is a walking wicket. This is a sad reality

MASOOD DEDICATES TON TO MENTOR ABBAS

Shan Masood has dedicated his day one century at Bristol to his mentor and former Gloucestershire favourite Zaheer Abbas.

Yorkshire’s captain has revealed that the Pakistan batting great has been a huge influence on his own career, and how his first trip to play at Bristol had extra meaning.

Masood helped Yorkshire recover from 90-5 to 326 all out with a brilliant 140 before seeing Gloucestershire close on 28-2 in reply.

“This is my first time in Bristol,” said Yorkshire’s overseas star.

“My brother’s been here for University, and the great Zaheer Abbas, who’s a mentor to me and like a godfather, he’s been unwell over the last year or so. But he’s recovered.

“It’s at a place where he played a lot of cricket and scored a lot of runs, so it’s a special place.

“I can maybe give him a call and say, ‘This one’s for you’.”

Abbas, now 76, scored 23,742 runs in all cricket for Gloucestershire between 1972 and 1985.

In terms of Masood’s own spell in county cricket, it’s also going pretty well. Of course, he starred for Derbyshire in the summer of 2022 and is now impressing for Yorkshire.

This was his third century in nine Championship matches wearing the white rose.

And this latest one came off the back of a first-innings duck against Leicestershire at Headingley last week.

“Gibbo and Ali have been on my case to leave a few balls,” smiled Masood, referring to his mode of dismissal against the Foxes – caught in the slips off Ben Mike.

“The way Gloucestershire bowled up front, they bowled really well, and it forced you to leave the good balls that they were pitching up. It was nibbling a bit. There was quite a lot of movement.

“Movement through the air, you can play as a batsmen, but when it’s nipping around off the pitch you have to give it respect.

“I think the coaches would have been proud that I left a few more balls than last week when I ended up having a waft at a wide one.”

On today’s performance, Masood continued: “Sometimes you have to put your hands up and say that the opposition bowled well in the first session.

“I don’t really think there were a lot of false shots we could debate over.

“There were some really good balls. I think Ajeet Singh Dale, especially from that end (Ashley Down Road End), was their most consistent bowler.

Masood said that he would have bowled first upon winning the toss and is confident Yorkshire’s bowlers can now make their mark tomorrow.

“It was their first game of the season, and we wanted to have a bowl to put their batsmen under pressure,” he added.

“There was enough there. You can see by the grass on the surface and the colour of the soil that it was heavily watered. There’s been weather around, and you expect that at this time of the season.”

MASOOD ON FRUSTRATING FIRST DAY AT THE OFFICE

Shan Masood admitted his frustration after a number of Yorkshire’s batters, including himself, were unable to build on starts during their disappointing opening day against Middlesex at Lord’s.

Captain Masood top-scored with 33 in the county’s 159 all out, while Adam Lyth made 15, Fin Bean 29 and George Hill 16 in the top six.

Middlesex closed a weather-disrupted opening day on 84-2 in reply.

“We started off pretty well, got off to a flying start, scoring at sixes,” said the Pakistani overseas. “But then we had a collapse, and that’s what you don’t want to do as a batting unit.

“Whenever there’s a wicket or two down, the important thing is to build a fort or steady the ship. Unfortunately, we lost our way through the middle period and had to scratch our way to some runs at the end.

“We lost the toss, which wasn’t ideal, and conditions did favour seam bowling today. But, for us, the lesson was that some guys got in and we couldn’t stay there for long enough to make the ball older and make it easier for the guys coming in. We just wish the thirties would have been a bigger score.

“You have to give credit to Middlesex.

“I thought they did bowl very well because easily sides can go astray when you’re 63-1 after about 10 overs.

“It’s not the ideal batting performance, but we have to put that behind us.

“We still have a second innings, a first innings to bowl. For us, right now, it’s how cheaply can we get Middlesex out and be out there batting again.”

On Yorkshire’s response with the ball, which came across two mini-sessions because of evening rain, Masood said: “I thought that before the rain break, when we got them 37-2, we were spot on.

“Even after the break, I don’t think there were a lot of bad balls.

“You saw with du Plooy, who took some chances. A few balls went past the bat and there were a few inside-edges. But I feel this is a quick-scoring ground. I also feel the Dukes is a quick-scoring ball. It’s not like last week where we could set straighter fields and stop the runs. Here, if the batsman middles it, they get value for runs.

“We keep telling each other that it’s about the job we have in front of us. Whatever’s done is done.

“For us, it’s coming out tomorrow and seeing what’s ahead.”

Masood and coach Ottis Gibson made two changes to the team following last week’s draw at Gloucestershire.

Matt Milnes and Matthew Fisher missed out for Jordan Thompson and Mickey Edwards, the two seam bowlers who claimed a wicket apiece late in the day today.

Masood added: “With Matt Milnes, it was a bit obvious at Gloucestershire that he felt his back a bit. It’s a long season. We lost him first game last year and didn’t want a repeat.

“We just wanted to address the situation and have him back because he’s a very important player.

“With Fish, yesterday, he felt a sore shoulder, and it’s better to have someone going in 100 percent.

“But big Mickey Edwards has been bowling really well. He was unlucky to get injured last year, and since Durham last May he’s playing his first game today.

“That just shows the depth of the squad. Even with the injuries and changes, we still have a guy like Matty Revis sitting out, who can be a handful with bat and ball. That’s a dilemma for us right now.

“The changes were precautionary.”

Shan Masood showed some intent, tried to play like BazBall. Yorkshire captain scored 40(25) against Derbyshire in County Championship 2024.

What a cover!

Leader, Thinker, Adopted Tyke, Nolan Aficionado

Last edited by a moderator:
The one good thing the PCB has done in a very a long time is to appoint Shan Masood as the Test captain. I really hope Pakistan starts playing more tests while Shan is skipper because he genuinely plays an exciting brand of cricket on the pitch and as captain.

The way he got the most out of Aamer Jamal and Agha Salman is something that other duds in the Pakistani camp like Babar and Shaheen can only dream of.

Why is Shan trying to play bazball? It will definitely affect his natural playing style
He averages under 40 in FC with his natural playing style and will probably do the same with this style. He is trying to do whats best for his county side and set the tone for the style of cricket he wants them to play.

Back