[VIDEO] Talent Spotter : Zafar Gohar

Shayan

ODI Debutant
Runs
Zafar Gohar is a slow left-arm orthodox bowler from Lahore. He has taken 1 wicket in his only List A match, while he has also bagged 2 wickets in his 3 T20 matches thus far. He is also a handy left-handed lower order batsman. He has scored 38 runs in his 3 T20 matches at an average of 19 and an eye-catching strike rate of 131.

Full name: Zafar Gohar Khan
Born: January 2, 1995, Lahore, Punjab
Major teams: Pakistan Under-15s, Pakistan Under-19s, Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited
Batting style: Left-hand bat
Bowling style: Slow left-arm orthodox

Getting into Cricket

I have been a keen follower of the game since my school days. I used to watch my superstars on TV and then tried to replicate what they do on the ground. I was often asked not to take it seriously as not everybody can become a successful sportsman, but I had the will and where there is will, there is a way. I knew I had it in me to prosper.

School and Club Cricket

I started playing cricket at my school and was the captain of the team. My school was Central Model High School, Lahore. During the time of Mr. Naseem Ashraf, we had many tournaments in our school and our rivals were the Muslim Model School. We were the top two schools in the city and had many memorable tape ball tournaments. I was one of the top performers of my school. These days, I am playing my cricket at the Garhi Shahu Club in Lahore.

U15/U16 Cricket

I used to play under the guidance of Mr. Shafqat Rana at the Race Course Park in Lahore. He was very helpful for me and he had an eye to discover new talent. He referred me for the U15 and U16 trials. I gave my trials successfully and got selected for the team. I remember Ata-ur-Rehman taking my U16 trials and was highly impressed with my all-round skills. I was named in the squad for the U15 World Cup in the West Indies and represented Pakistan U15s in that event.

U19 Cricket

After the success in U15 and U16 cricket, I was selected for the U19 team. I represented the Pakistan U19 team in the U19 World Cup in Australia, and took eight wickets in eight matches there. Just recently, I had a fantastic tour of England for Pakistan U19s. I was named as the best bowler of the tri-nation series, which included Bangladesh and England. I took 18 wickets in the seven matches I played and scored some useful and brisk runs for my team in the lower order. That series gave me a huge boost and depicted my credentials in front of the world.

U19 Picks

There are a few players from our U19 team who I’d like to mention here. I feel they can represent Pakistan in the near future. Sami Aslam, Zia-ul-Haq, Shayan Jahangir, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Aftab etc, have all got what it takes to play for Pakistan. Zia-ul-Haq is my favourite bowler. He is really good. I like Shayan Jahangir’s style of batting. I was highly impressed with a few English cricketers too. Tattersall and Finch are very fine opening batsmen. Higgins, Rhodes, Winslade and Fisher complete the list of players I am looking forward to seeing in their national team.

ZTBL

I was selected to play for the ZTBL U19 team by Wajahatullah Wasti. I passed the trials and got selected to play for them. I took 40 wickets, along with scoring 450 runs, and was later appointed as their captain. I have also played for the ZTBL senior team, where Saeed Ajmal and Imran Nazir helped me do well. I played for them in the PCB Ramadan Cup and took two wickets in three matches. Although I did not get to bowl too many overs, it was a great experience for me and I also scored a 30-odd in one innings. Haris Sohail and Sharjeel Khan are the players from ZTBL who I admire.

Cricketing Heroes

I love watching Daniel Vettori and Graeme Swann bowl. I feel that Graeme Swann is a fantastic bowler. I like his action as well as his rhythm. His ability to bowl well in the difficult English conditions is commendable. I have also learned that Mr. Iqbal Qasim was a very witty bowler in his days. As he was also a left-arm spinner like I am, it is pleasing to know about him. In domestic cricket, I follow the batting of Haris Sohail, Sohaib Maqsood and Sharjeel Khan, and I also keep an eye on how Zia-ul-Haq, Mohammad Talha and Ahmed Jamal are doing.

The Future

I am very satisfied with what I have done so far, I have had an excellent start to my professional career. There are a few crucial first-class tours in the coming months and my aim is to make my mark in them. Hopefully, in the next two and a half years I will be able to represent the Pakistan national team.

Last edited:
Fav player Vettori

i feel he can Became decent NO-8 Batsman and Spin bowler like Ashwin,Swann,Vettori

Scored 300 runs IN ZTBL UN-19 Ave 30 (Which show capable Batsman )

And 43 wickets 2nd Highest wicket taker after Irfanullah Shah his team Mate :)

Keep eye on him in next Domestic Season

i feel ZTBL Will give hard time to SUI,HBL,NBP This time around :)

Really enjoyed watching him bowl during the U19 series recently, he has a lot of control and gets turn.

He will have difficulty breaking into the senior time for a while considering the plethora of left arm spinners we have at the moment, but that may end up being a good thing for his development.

Really enjoyed watching him bowl during the U19 series recently, he has a lot of control and gets turn.

He will have difficulty breaking into the senior time for a while considering the plethora of left arm spinners we have at the moment, but that may end up being a good thing for his development.

How do you see his batting? Does it give him an edge over Raza Hasan? Is he that good spinner? I saw him last in the U19 World Cup in Australia and none of the spinners, including him, impressed me. Didn't quite notice him in the PCB Ramadan Cup as he said he didn't bowl too many overs.

He is a world class spinner and should be fast tracked into the side!

How do you see his batting? Does it give him an edge over Raza Hasan? Is he that good spinner? I saw him last in the U19 World Cup in Australia and none of the spinners, including him, impressed me. Didn't quite notice him in the PCB Ramadan Cup as he said he didn't bowl too many overs.

No-8 Batsman why can score Important runs at Time

but With time he will became better Batsman like Vettori :)

His Bating will give him edge over Raza and Usman Qadir

if iam Captain and i have 3 Good Spinner,s i will select That which is Good batsman to

Remember Gohar Bating in Ramadan cup vs PORT Qasim

scored 30 on 20 balls 2 sixes was Highest scorer for ZTBL

No-8 Batsman why can score Important runs at Time

but With time he will became better Batsman like Vettori :)

His Bating will give him edge over Raza and Usman Qadir

if iam Captain and i have 3 Good Spinner,s i will select That which is Good batsman to

Remember Gohar Bating in Ramadan cup vs PORT Qasim

scored 30 on 20 balls 2 sixes was Highest scorer for ZTBL

Yes, he told me about that innings in his interview with me.

Yes, he told me about that innings in his interview with me.

From what i has seen from UN-19 Boys

Kamran Ghulam and Farhan Nazar are most Talented Players

Zia ul haq,Zafar Gohar Hard worker

Last edited by a moderator:
Raza Hasan is the better bowler, but Gohar's batting is very promising.

Could be a fascinating spin battle down the road.

In the recent U-19 tri-nation tournament:

Bowling
Matches: 7
Wickets: 18
Average: 11.44
Economy Rate: 3.28
Strike Rate: 20.8

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent prospect. But should he be fast-tracked to the senior team?

It's not like you've got much quality in your side, it wouldn't hurt to give the guy a crack in the team.

Whats the worst that could happen?

Not yet.
He is a fantastic talent but we shouldn't rush him in. Its not as if we are in dire need of a good spin bowler anyway.

Last edited:
It's not like you've got much quality in your side, it wouldn't hurt to give the guy a crack in the team.

Whats the worst that could happen?

:facepalm:

He is a spinner and we have loads of quality spin bowlers

Ajmal, Zulfi, Abdur Rehman and Hafeez. And even Raza Hasan who isn't currently in the side.

:facepalm:

He is a spinner and we have loads of quality spin bowlers

Ajmal, Zulfi, Abdur Rehmanand Hafeez. And even Raza Hasan who isn't currently in the side.
All of which are senior citizens, containment bowlers or not genuine wicket takers :facepalm:

My point stands.

Last edited:
Nice interview and always great to hear a youngsters views. Was impressed by how well he bowled here in Australia. Didn't know much about his batting potential.

Zia-ul-Haq is my favourite bowler. He is really good.

Here's a pic I got of these two at the U19 WC last year.

IMAG0296.jpg

All of which are senior citizens, containment bowlers or not genuine wicket takers :facepalm:

My point stands.

Zulfi is a genuine wicket-taker. Just look at his record in domestic circuit. Has taken 7 wickets in 3 t20s he has played.

Ajmal comes next as the genuine wicket-taker.

Zulfi is a genuine wicket-taker. Just look at his record in domestic circuit. Has taken 7 wickets in 3 t20s he has played.

Ajmal comes next as the genuine wicket-taker.
He's 34 what part will he have to play in 2015?

i loved the way he gave his interview to sky in england after he got the Man of the match award..

the guy is full of confidence...i agree he needs to be fast tracked in the team..

Yes couldn't agree more with the posts above that he is one hell of a spinner. He gets massive turn and has great control. Please could some of the other posters confirm my perception that he also gets drift and dip. I believe he does. This is what sets him apart from other spinners such as Rehman in particular who rely more on containment with variations in line and length.

But he could well do with being kept at domestic level just a bit longer to sharpen his skills further.

do you have to trial for ZTBL as under 19 or can you trial for them any age

He is one brilliant spinner. Good fielder, very passionate & very handy batsman.

We keep producing these top quality young cricketers.

Also, during that U19 tour in England, he got 18 wickets @ average 11/SR 20 (with a 4fer in the final against ENG) in a country not conductive to spin and in the shorter format where spinners are even less at ease, so being the leading wicket taker is special.

And as some mentioned he's a handy bat too, as he has already proven at U19 and List A levels.

Last edited:
Him and Kamran Ghulam are both future all rounders of Pakistan.

Found this video of them playing for U19 team in September vs England:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...t-england-u19-v-pakistan-u19-highlights_sport

Mohammad Nawaz is a very good (spin) all rounder too so quite a competition between these 3, but I think

in terms of batting : Ghulam >>> Nawaz > Gohar
in terms of bowling : Gohar >> Nawaz = Ghulam

All three would already be more valuable all round cricketers than :hafeez & :afridi

This guy looks the part.

Should be replace Zulfiqar Babar soon enough.

Better prospect than Raza Hasan IMO, who himself is a very good prospect.

Said that many Time before
Zafar Gohar Bating will Help him to make in Pakistan ODI/T-20 team ahead of Raza hasan,Usman Qadir in future after Ajmal retirement

This guy looks beast. Getting a lot of turn and smart bowler. Insha'Allah will come in for ajmal.

Wow this guys batting has just been getting better by the day. this guy will be a very key player for us when his time comes

Re: Talent Spotter : Zafar Gohar

Said that many Time before
Zafar Gohar Bating will Help him to make in Pakistan ODI/T-20 team ahead of Raza hasan,Usman Qadir in future after Ajmal retirement

Usman Qadir is a good batsman too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Usman Qadir is a good batsman too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Usman Qadir is another Decent Bowling All rounder

but his Leg spin Worry me

Karmat ali Playing Today for Pakistan UN-19 He is very good Leg spinner and Lower order batsman

The way he is developing looks good, can't wait for a spin double act of Gohar and Reza !!

Finally we have found someone who will be able to replace Shahid Afridi. Zafar Gohar is a decent finisher as well and he has been consistent!

he is an aggressive spinner and takes wicket in the middle overs. Saw his bowling clips and comes across as a very smart bowler !

He is one for the future !

Looks Like Zafar is Mature Player
After UN-19 World cup

We should Select him start away in Pakistan ODI Squad in place of Abdur Rehman Which get Free World Tour

His Bating and Ability to hit Six Realy make me fan of him

Usman Qadir is another Decent Bowling All rounder

but his Leg spin Worry me

Karmat ali Playing Today for Pakistan UN-19 He is very good Leg spinner and Lower order batsman

Can Karamat bowls googly flipper n top spinner?

He's too good to be playing at U19 level. Should be on A tours or playing domestic along with Sami Aslam and Zia ul Haq.

He is looking really good. Unfortunately Pakistan will never pick him for three years until Afridi retires.

You said in the last thread you want Pathans kicked out of the team, so why are you supporting Zafar Gohar Khan

I said the current Pathans should be kicked out like Afridi. Besides, Zafar Gohar Khan is born in Lahore, which is in Punjab if I'm not mistaken?

I said the current Pathans should be kicked out like Afridi. Besides, Zafar Gohar Khan is born in Lahore, which is in Punjab if I'm not mistaken?

He's still a Pathan. I am born in Canada, am I still not a Pakistani?

He's still a Pathan. I am born in Canada, am I still not a Pakistani?

Doesn't matter where he is from. I said CURRENT Pathans should never step foot in Pakistan cricket team, these include but are not limited to Afridi, Gul, Shehzad, Younis (in ODIs).

Doesn't matter where he is from. I said CURRENT Pathans should never step foot in Pakistan cricket team, these include but are not limited to Afridi, Gul, Shehzad, Younis (in ODIs).

Oh definitely agree. Gohar is a fantastic player, but as you and I both know, Pakistan always seems to miss the ball on their talent.

Maqsood and Sharjeels name I have been saying for a year and look, right away production.

This nonsense that Pakistan has no talent is the selectors way to justify the players playing. Now that the new players are performing, they have little to no defence as to why these players were sitting at home.

Oh definitely agree. Gohar is a fantastic player, but as you and I both know, Pakistan always seems to miss the ball on their talent.

Maqsood and Sharjeels name I have been saying for a year and look, right away production.

This nonsense that Pakistan has no talent is the selectors way to justify the players playing. Now that the new players are performing, they have little to no defence as to why these players were sitting at home.

Precisely. When you have fools like Afridi saying 'I am still better than most' and Hafeez making his idiotic statements, selectors are sheep to their whims. Afridi is the single worst cricketer from any nation to have played as many games as he has, and he can EASILY be replaced. Hafeez can easily be replaced as well, first choice would be Babar Azam.

Will be really a facepalm for iqbal qasim if Pak-U19 goes on to win U19 World cup ;)

Go Zafar go :) now i have high hopes form u even more than sami aslam and zia ul haq :) this guy is in beast mode

A left handed all rounder is something we really lack, hopefully in the future he can fill the void

if he did same kind of Performance in Asia Cup UN-19 and WC Un-19

Should be call up for Pakistan ODI Team ahead of Abdur rehman

I agree with you. I have high hopes from Zafar Gohar. We could get a brilliant all-rounder.

He is a hard hitting all rounder who bowls some very good accurate left arm spin.

He is a natural replacement for Shahid Afridi after the world cup.

What kind of variety he has ? does he bowl the straighter one ? and does he spin alot or pushes the ball quick in the air ?

It is good to have him and raza hassan in backups. Raza hassan is still struggling for form after recovering from injury. future looks good for pakistan.

Is there any good off spinners and leg spinners at U19 level ? i saw usman qadir bowling last year and he was not impressive with the ball at all. he is never going to replace Afridi unless he improves his bowling big time.

Re: Talent Spotter : Zafar Gohar

Probably the best of a good spinning lot in the world cup.

The picture in post 70 is when Saqlain met up with the Under 19 boys in Leicester.

Sad really that the PCB didn't ask Saqlain to go and give the boys some coaching sessions, instead Saqi went himself to offer them advice.

Top man!

Takes his first 10-fer - against a department team.

Amazing bowler.

Out of the young spinners he is probably the best. I liked him and The other young left arm spinner but he bowled it quicker and turned it more. Well worth investing in for the future by playing in the A team team.

Decent bat as well. Hopefully his action is fine. Have seen him bowl but at that time there was not much talk about bowling actions so can't completely remember how his action was.

Apart from being a fantastic cricketer, he's a very likeable guy as well.

Out of the young spinners he is probably the best. I liked him and The other young left arm spinner but he bowled it quicker and turned it more. Well worth investing in for the future by playing in the A team team.

Kamran Ghulam?

Zafar is much much better.

Back