[VIDEO] Umar Siddiq: Wicket-keeper batsman from Lahore

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
He is 20, has just started his career and after 5 LA matches in domestic cricket he has made 214 runs at an average of 53.5 and a decent SR of 85. He plays for Lahore Lions alongside Azhar Ali and Usman Salahuddin to mention a couple.

He seems to be an opener and will be playing against Stallions in the Semi final tomorrow. The match will be telecasted live on Geo Super.

Pakistan really need a good wk-batsman so let's just keep an eye on him. (PS! His FC record isn't the best at the moment)

Last edited:
Lahore Stallions?anyway will be seeing him tomorrow morning against Sialkot..hope he's good..

Looks like he's a good bat enough to bat in the top order (his maiden century and second HS came as an opener and at #3 respectively), and a leftie too...

...Pakistan's Gilchrist ? :kami :p

And he didn't have the best first FC season, but during the Inter-District Senior Tournament 2012 he averaged 42.
Seeing at his SR, you never know perhaps it's a matter of temperament only but we can work on that if that's his only negative point.

He's playing with :azhar, I'm sure he'll have few words with :misbah if he's impressed and as we urgently need a WK-batsman.

23997.jpg

Last edited:
Yes Pakistan in dire need of a good wicket keeper batsman from almost 4-5 years.

Good luck Umar.

batting on 51 off 65 balls with 7 fours against Stallions..

how is umar sadiq's technique ? he is a cross bat player like sarfaraz of proper stylish batsman like jamshed n farhat ?

farhat is stylish batsman just lack of luck n temperament he was luking solid against styen n co in the last test where others struggle

A left hand batsman + keeper , sounds mouth watering, but I hope he can play in the Lower middle order

I saw the first two overs and he hit 4 or 5 boundaries quite comfortably and looked like a very good player. He made 59. Certainly one to keep an eye on.

I saw the first two overs and he hit 4 or 5 boundaries quite comfortably and looked like a very good player. He made 59. Certainly one to keep an eye on.
thanks hope he have good technique against face n swing hope he dnt luk ugly like malik n fawad while facing good fast bowler

Good knock today against a decent bowling attack in supporting conditions for bowlers and that too as an opener....

Good knock today against a decent bowling attack in supporting conditions for bowlers and that too as an opener....

If he gets selected he will probably be playing at 6 the highest, same with Rizwan

The only current keeper to have succesfully played in the lower middle order in limited over domestic cricket is jamal anwar, and his first class stats are shocking

Jamal Anwer only shined in one tournament,since then he has done nothing of note..

But possibilty of his selection is still far away....He needs a season or 2 more to leave a mark..

Though good to see that someone has got ability....With ability anyone can bowl or bat anywhere...

But how is his wicketkeeping?

Jamal Anwer only shined in one tournament,since then he has done nothing of note..

But possibilty of his selection is still far away....He needs a season or 2 more to leave a mark..

Though good to see that someone has got ability....With ability anyone can bowl or bat anywhere...

But how is his wicketkeeping?

Not that great from what I have heard

I think the team management has a serious problem. They seem to think all keepers bar kamran should play at 7 or 8. Give one a run at 6 at least

Not that great from what I have heard

I think the team management has a serious problem. They seem to think all keepers bar kamran should play at 7 or 8. Give one a run at 6 at least
That's the funny thing. We chuck out keepers because they can't bat at 7. Kamran can't bat at 7 either (in fact doesn't average over 2 there these days I think), yet it's fine.

I don't want keepers batting at six as I feel that should go to a proper middle order batsman. That should happen if we have a keeper who as good if not better bat than our other batsmen.

He could open, some wicketkeepers do better there and hit a few useful runs. Just how Kamran's played.

I'm one of those people who doesn't go on about keeper's being able to produce big shots at seven. Mostly it won't be needed. Just pick a guy who can bolster the side if a batting collapse comes and another batsman needs someone else to stick at the crease. We don't need a keeper who can hit. It'd be nice if he can hit, but not essential. If the situation comes and he needs to hit, most likely we're chasing and the game's near gone, or we've already got a decent score on the board, something for our very good ODI bowlers to defend.

In the situation where we did have a batting collapse, Sarfaz actually did come to our rescue in the Asia cup final.

As a keeper stays in the team and is given consistent chances, his batting and even his keeping will improve. Being in the international team facing international attacks they'll improve. It's an advantage Kamran's had over other keepers. Hard to juggle both acts new to the team. And even then Sarfaz and Adnan already average 19 and 20. Kamran averages 26. And you could argue both those keepers were in better batting form than Kamran currently.

If we want a keeper who's a good bat (and Kamran isn't a good bat), only option at this moment of time is to make umar keep.

I think umar should be our fixed t20 keeper, then take it from there. I still have doubts on his odi keeping, don't think he can last a full 50 overs consistnetly , but if it was him or Kamran I'd take umar

Watching the highlights of the today's game, I must say unlike Karmran, Sarfraz and Adnan this lad does seem like a proper batsman. Scored a stylish but risk free 59 from 68 balls. Also I noticed he is unusually well built for a keeper.

By the way its his bad luck that he plays for the Lion because I am sure Kamran will be their keeper for the upcoming FBT20. That tournament could be a good stage to showcase his talent.

:))) good luck finding a good wk batsman better than :kami...

Pakistan don't deserve fans like you. And you are not alone here at PP. Putting individuals over country is what is ruining not only our cricket but whole country in general. Here people are trying to search for a player who can serve Pakistan better than Kamran and the worst thing is that you will not be able to accept and digest even if a promising keeper turns up because of your blind support for Kamran.

Same goes for some fanboys of Riaz, Malik, Afridi, Misbah, Umar Akmal, younis khan etc. People will come up with every sort of stats just to defend their fav players.

Pakistan don't deserve fans like you. And you are not alone here at PP. Putting individuals over country is what is ruining not only our cricket but whole country in general. Here people are trying to search for a player who can serve Pakistan better than Kamran and the worst thing is that you will not be able to accept and digest even if a promising keeper turns up because of your blind support for Kamran.

Same goes for some fanboys of Riaz, Malik, Afridi, Misbah, Umar Akmal, younis khan etc. People will come up with every sort of stats just to defend their fav players.

I said it earlier, I don't blame them, their just mirroring our whole culture which infects our political decisions too, that's why the country is in such a mess, these little personal favourites based on obsolete factors hurt them too at the end as I'm sure rare are those who would like to see their team being repeatedly spanked.

For instance some would bump the :gul bashing thread every hour but then defend :wahab's 93 off 10 (runs given, that is) because he had an odd +40 score on a flat pitch, a fluke innings which should make him an "all rounder".

Perhaps one day these peoples will do an huge introspection and correct themselves, I just hope they will even if that's asking them too much probably. :zardari

no I was just stating the bitter truth...I'd love to see anyone better than Kami but so far all we tried don't really looked suited to ODI cricket also their keeping has been on and off..

on topic, I just saw the last day game and I must say as a batsman, technically he looks really awesome..better than all the other keepers I've seen in domestic cricket..he's a complete batsman but it's too early I'd say..we should give him some time before thinking of calling him for Int. cricket..

"Kami" is an utter failure and legit one of the worst cricketers of the 21st century. He would have a hard time playing first class cricket anywhere in the world.

Easily the worst wicketkeeper the international game has every seen. A disgrace to the gloves.

I said it earlier, I don't blame them, their just mirroring our whole culture which infects our political decisions too, that's why the country is in such a mess, these little personal favourites based on obsolete factors hurt them too at the end as I'm sure rare are those who would like to see their team being repeatedly spanked.

For instance some would bump the :gul bashing thread every hour but then defend :wahab's 93 off 10 (runs given, that is) because he had an odd +40 score on a flat pitch, a fluke innings which should make him an "all rounder".

Perhaps one day these peoples will do an huge introspection and correct themselves, I just hope they will even if that's asking them too much probably. :zardari
well said bro

I have always said that IF you do not have a WK who can bat , you will struggle with balance of the team.

Adnan is fine for Test. In shorter formats , make Umar Akmal keep or try other part timers like Yasir Hameed or Sharjeel .

Umar Siddiq* not out 168 414 345 23 0 48.69

VS Multan Today

2nd Highest Run scorer in Quaid-e-azam Trophy after Another Good Batsman Israrullah

both him and Isar needs to finda department nex season and show their skills same goes for Mir Hamza. Quaid Azam trophy is poor quality tournament where hacks like Imad Waseem are being made to look first class.

Umar Siddiq* not out 168 414 345 23 0 48.69

VS Multan Today

2nd Highest Run scorer in Quaid-e-azam Trophy after Another Good Batsman Israrullah

Doesn't he keep anymore? Kashif Mehmood is the wk for Shalimar.

i don't normally hype/rate domestic players but this guy is a beast

13 FC @ 54.11
13 LA @ 46.08

so far 763 runs in 8 first class matches with 3 100's and 3 50's

two words: Quaid e Azam Trophy.
those are four words :D

i will reserve my judgement on him for the time being. Lets wait untill he plays in more competitive cricket.

He's in the Lahore Lions Champions League T20 squad. According to Cricinfo, he's not the designated keeper, Umar Akmal is. Still seems good enough to be in the squad as a batsman though, he's got some beastly averages!

Let's stop this idiotic tradition of comparing our youngsters who have performed in a few matches to legends that have performed throughout their 15-20 year careers. No need to get hyped up, just calm down and relax.

With that said, this kid looks promising, let's see how he does in a few more matches.

Let Sarfaraz settle in the team.He is a good WK-batsman

So far he looks pretty decent......

I look at little things. When a few dots have built up, I look at what they do. This guy rotated strike.

Looks like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I like the way he plays with soft hands, drop and runs. Shehzad could learn that from him.

2 dot balls.

Followed by a cut for four.

Followed by a single.

Alan Wilkins is impressed with Siddiq.

Why Akmal keep wickets for LL when he is a proper WK ???

I missed his innings. Was he really as good as people are making him out to be? Is he a good player?

He was very assertive and busy at the crease but he was batting against trundlers so difficult to judge.

Him and Saad Nasim are good ODI potential.

Another hundred for him....

Looked very very good in CLt20 when opening batting.

Mate this guy is a quality quality batsman and will play for Pakistan for many years.

i have advocated for this guy before, definitely in the mold of haris sohail. Good temperament too!! much better than younis, shehzad, hafeez and maqsood from the world cup team. Hope pak selectors have the sense to pick him after the world cup.

As the same stats has Lokesh Rahul, one is playing international cricket and the other is not, it is like we are blessed with great batsman in the current international team, what is wrong with these selectors,

He looks like good wicket-keeper, he is flying like brad haddin behind the stumps.

pakistan might just have produced their 1st potentially world class wicket keeper in umer siddiq. batting is top notch. have seen his keeping in patches and he looked ok to me. have to observe his keeping closely though before giving a judgement .

Will be a future star from Pakistan.

This is our best ever period in producing cricketers.

Back