[VIDEOS] Pakistan players' performance watch in Caribbean Premier League 2017

Rashid Khan spins Warriors to victory over Stars

HERO 2017 Caribbean Premier League - Match Report 12

Guyana Amazon Warriors 153-4 (Mohammad 38, Gajanand 35*, Mayers 1-22) beat St Lucia Stars 152-8 (Charles 53, Watson 32, Rashid Khan 2-9, Emrit 4-35) by six wickets

An assured team performance from the Guyana Amazon Warriors produced a six-wicket victory against St Lucia Stars in Match 12 of the 2017 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL). After pulling the Stars back from 91 for 2 to 152 for 8, a calm cameo from Gajanand Singh guided the Amazon Warriors to the target, despite a late blip which took the match deep into the last over.

After winning the toss and electing to bat the Stars innings was given a quick start by Johnson Charles and Andre Fletcher. Fletcher only lasted eight balls however, before being beaten for pace by a back of a length ball from Sohail Tanvir.

Fletcher’s demise did not seem to perturb his partner Charles who clattered a four and a six off the two balls immediately after the wicket and then hit an enormous Hero Maximum off Rayad Emrit which bounced off the roof of the stadium and down the road.

A scratchy innings of 2 off 7 balls by Marlon Samuels was ended with a top-edged pull off Emrit and a tight sixth over, bowled by Rashid Khan meant the Stars ended the Powerplay 47 for 2.

Two driven fours from Shane Watson gave the innings fresh impetus before Charles tore into some full tosses from Keemo Paul, taking the 9th over for 21. At the half way stage the Stars were 90 for 2, thanks largely to Charles who batted with typical belligerence, muscling the ball across the line, scoring 50 of his 53 runs on the leg side.

His dismissal off the second ball of the tenth over by Rashid Khan changed the complexion of the innings. Kamran Akmal was stumped for 2 off 4 balls, charging down the pitch to Khan. Some tight overs and two more wickets - Watson for 32 and Kyle Mayers for 1 meant the Stars had lost 4 for 19.

More quiet overs followed as Darren Sammy and Rahkeem Cornwall struggled to get the ball away, particularly from Rashid Khan who finished with 2 for 9. With 12 balls remaining the Stars were just 122 for 6.

Those 12 balls brought the Stars 30 runs as Sammy finally found his range, slamming two sixes over mid-wicket and one straight before he was dismissed looking for a fourth for 26 off 24 balls. The Stars finished with 152 of 8 - well below the two previous first innings at this venue of 196.

Chadwick Walton gave the Amazon Warriors chase a frantic beginning by hitting four boundaries in the first two overs. However, the Stars pulled things back in the next three overs, conceding just 15. After Walton was dismissed by a good short ball from Jerome Taylor the Amazon Warriors ended the Powerplay 42 for 1 with Martin Guptill being kept quiet on 4 off 12.

Once the field dropped back the Stars bowled accurately, giving the Amazon Warriors very few boundary balls. After a brief but unspectacular partnership, Babar Azam was caught and bowled by Shane Shillingford for 12 off 14. At the halfway stage the Amazon Warriors required 84 more runs to win.

When Guptill was eventually dismissed, well caught at deep point by Samuels off the bowling of Mayers, the Stars will have sensed a way back into the match. Although the required run rate of 8.93 was not steep it required an acceleration that the Amazon Warriors had shown little sign of giving.

It did however eventually come with 48 required from 30 balls as Jason Mohammad and Gajanand Singh took Shillingford’s final over for 16 putting them back in charge of the contest. A brilliantly flicked six and two slapped drives from Gajanand further reduced the equation.

Despite the boundaries the Amazon Warriors never truly pulled away and a tight penultimate over from McClenaghan ended with the wicket of Mohammad and left them requiring 8 from the last over. After only two runs came from the first three balls, bowled by Sammy, the Stars had come from nowhere to stand on the brink of winning. Roshon Primus’ heaved four and a scampered two ensured that didn’t materialise and the Amazon Warriors recorded their first victory of the season.

Thanks both.

On the one hand I would love to see Shadab and Hassan in action. On the other hand a 1am start (BST) is probably pushing it.

Hmm. Choices.

Hafeez charges down the track and smashes Shadab! Almost out of the 30-yard circle... but not quite.

Falls short of the fielder too. :hafeez2

Hafeez just skied Shadab in the air but no-one was there to catch it.

Hafeez run out. A pity- I was looking forward to Shadab getting him out.

21 off Shadab's over but 4 were byes.

Did you see the googly that beat everyone? Stunning delivery.

But yes they took a liking to him that over. I'm sure he'll bounce back in his next two.

Did you see the googly that beat everyone? Stunning delivery.

But yes they took a liking to him that over. I'm sure he'll bounce back in his next two.

Yeah, got a bit of extra bounce too otherwise the batsman would've been bowled.

Good to see the batsmen going after him, eager to see his response.

Incredible wrist power.

Still not as good as the shot Hafeez played... the one that didn't get past the 30-yard circle. :hafeez2

More seriously, that shot was so dismissive it was bordering on disrespectful. It was the kind of shot a fast bowler would respond to with a bouncer.

Has any Pak batsman done well? Seems everyone failing except one fifty from Malik. What's going on? Kakmal looks so out of place.

Has any Pak batsman done well? Seems everyone failing except one fifty from Malik. What's going on? Kakmal looks so out of place.

This tournament is the Pakistan cricket stereotype in a nutshell- bowlers excel whilst the batsmen struggle.

No. Even Malik's fifty was in a losing cause though it was a decent knock.

Shadab played a good innings in a small (but difficult) chase.

Nothing to speak of besides that.

Shadab gets a wicket- nicely flighted. Brooks 37 (32) not giving Shadab the respect he deserves and paying the price.

Brooks played all around it, shuffled across and tried to scoop it. Ended up missing a full, straight delivery.

Shadab finishes with 1/42 off four overs.

Hopefully Hasan puts up a good show with the ball today.

Dropped catch on the boundary off the last ball of Shadab's spell. Even worse, it went for six. Shadab not happy. Sums up his day so far.

Shadab finishes with 1/42 off four overs.

Hopefully Hasan puts up a good show with the ball today.

I look forward to his highlights- i'm off to bed.

(Yes, that was a subtle request for you to upload his highlights please). :p

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5x0m3b" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hassan Ali showcasing his six-hitting ability. I know he has been working with Azhar on his batting- hopefully he gets a few chances to bat higher at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with the dropped catch of his last ball, his personal worse performance thus far in the CPL.

Hafeez just hit for 12 runs of his 2nd over.

2 overs gone for 15 thus far.

Hasan Ali with an eventful first over.

1 over for 4 runs. Tough chance dropped off his last ball of the over. T&T Rider 42/2.

Shadab today.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5x0jyr" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shadab Khan bowled off the bowling of Badri for 3. 89/5 T&T Riders.

Yes Shadab is really concious when he is batting really needs to work on his hitting skills especially against spin.

He has tremendous potential with bat just needs to calm down. Though he is just 18 and will learn will time.

Knight riders are giving him opportunity at slightly up the order but than its too much responsibility on a youngster when 70 odd runs are required with 30 odd balls.

I look forward to his highlights- i'm off to bed.

(Yes, that was a subtle request for you to upload his highlights please). :p

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x5x0xqt" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

Ramdin pulls off stunning heist

2017 Hero Caribbean Premier League - Match Report 13

Trinbago Knight Riders 161-6 (Ramdin 59*, Munro 36, Nabi 2-12) beat St Kitts & Nevis Patriots 158-7 (Brooks 37, Carter 31, Narine 2-26) by 4 wickets

A dramatic late surge from the Trinbago Knight Riders took them to a stunning four wicket victory against St Kitts & Nevis Patriots and sealed their place in the play off stage of the 2017 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL). Chasing an imposing 159 to win the Knight Riders had been reduced to 89 for 5, requiring a further 70 from just 36 balls, but an unbeaten 59 from Denesh Ramdin took them home with three balls to spare.

A dramatic last five overs saw the match swing to and fro. Ramdin, who had been dropped on just one by Brandon King, begun the assault by taking 16 off the 15th over bowled by Tabraiz Shamsi. Following a tight 16th over from Hasan Ali the pressure increased once more. Back to-back fours from Dwayne Bravo off Carlos Brathwaite and a slapped six off Hasan kept the Knight Riders in the hunt. A brilliant direct hit to run out Dwayne Bravo from Hasan Ali threatened to derail the comeback but a six from Ramdin the following ball turned the match once more.

The penultimate over was bowled by Brathwaite and after Javon Searles had clubbed two boundaries, Ramdin struck a third to leave the Knight Riders requiring just three off the last. Ramdin hit the third ball of the over for a straight four to complete a stunning turnaround.

The Knight Riders had been brilliantly restricted by the Patriots for the first two thirds of the innings. Both Sunil Narine and Brendon McCullum were dismissed in the Powerplay and after six overs they had only 42 on the board. More tight overs followed and when Colin Munro, Darren Bravo and Shadab Khan were dismissed in quick succession as they looked for quick runs hope looked to be lost for the Knight Riders. Ramdin, however, had other ideas.

Earlier in the evening, after winning the toss and electing to field, the Knight Riders kept the Patriots very quiet in the Powerplay with some accurate bowling and well executed plans. With Gayle opening the batting the Knight Riders adapted their spin-strategy and started with two overs of full and fast pace bowling. They then turned to Narine who nearly had Gayle caught sweeping before dismissing him next ball with a sharp turning off break that took his outside edge. At the end of the Powerplay the Patriots were 34 for 1.

The Knight Riders tight bowling was matched by their fielders in the eighth over when a superb throw from Searles was brilliantly collected at the base of the stumps by Kevon Cooper, running Mohammad Hafeez out by inches.

The Patriots threatened to get going in the ninth over when they took 21 from Shadab’s second over with King striking a spectacular six against the spin over mid-wicket. His innings was short-lived however. The first ball after the drinks break he charged Narine and was caught at slip. Shamarh Brooks had worked hard for his 37 but never looked fluent and when he was bowled attempting an audacious paddle sweep off Shadab the Patriots had slid to 95 for 4 after 13.2 overs.

An explosive final five overs brought the Patriots 49 runs and elevated them to the highest first innings score at Queen’s Park Oval this season of 158 for 7. The Patriots strong finish owes a lot to Brathwaite who dared to take on the sixteenth over bowled by Narine, scoring six, two, four and one which alleviated some pressure on the remaining overs. A sparky cameo from Nabi of 17 off 8 balls capitalised on the good work of Brathwaite. In the end, it was not quite good enough.

Poor bowling by Braithwathe. I don't know why Gayle did not use Badree or Nabi instead of giving 2 overs to the average Braitwaite. Also WI batsmen are much more comfortable against pace then spin.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hasan Ali showing his dance moves during the Trinbago Knight Riders versus St Kitts & Nevis Patriots match <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CPL17?src=hash">#CPL17</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/KOTCDB9VqJ">pic.twitter.com/KOTCDB9VqJ</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/897348046102695936">August 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Poor bowling by Braithwathe. I don't know why Gayle did not use Badree or Nabi instead of giving 2 overs to the average Braitwaite. Also WI batsmen are much more comfortable against pace then spin.

In an earlier match, Brathwaite had defended 8 off the last over so I guess Gayle thought he'd gamble with him again. http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-Patriots-vs-Guyana-Amazon-Warriors-4th-Match

Agree with you though. Nabi has been difficult to get away while Badree is also a good T20 bowler. Should have bowled them more.

One CPL match tonight at 2200GMT. St Lucia Stars (Kamran Akmal) host Jamaica Tallawahs (Mohammad Sami and Imad Wasim)

Make that two, Sami dismisses his IU teammate Watto. :wahab

How have you not mentioned the biggest news of all? No Kamran Akmal.

How will St Lucia survive without the experience of Kami? :kakmal

Oh My God! He has been dropped??? Grave injustice. :bhanja

I seriously didn't realise.

I am hearbroken at the news. :))

How did you not know this??

(ps. I love how there is a Faisal Iqbal smiley- that is hilarious!)

I am hearbroken at the news. :))

How did you not know this??

(ps. I love how there is a Faisal Iqbal smiley- that is hilarious!)

I didn't bother checking the lineups. My fault. :mv

How can a legend not have his own smiley?

I didn't bother checking the lineups. My fault. :mv

How can a legend not have his own smiley?

I understand that, but it was breaking news on every channel across the world. They even took over the internet to let everyone know about it. St Lucia announced a day of mourning to mark it. Did all of this pass you by? :))

I understand that, but it was breaking news on every channel across the world. They even took over the internet to let everyone know about it. St Lucia announced a day of mourning to mark it. Did all of this pass you by? :))

Never fear, he will be back in action in the National T20 Cup soon because we have no one else that could ever take his place in a team. :kakmal

Never fear, he will be back in action in the National T20 Cup soon because we have no one else that could ever take his place in a team. :kakmal

Phew. That comes as a huge relief.

I am sure Mohammed Hasan (who is considered good enough for a central contract and has a S/R of 152 in t20s, yet is not selected for the National T20 Cup) will also be relieved.

Phew. That comes as a huge relief.

I am sure Mohammed Hasan (who is considered good enough for a central contract and has a S/R of 152 in t20s, yet is not selected for the National T20 Cup) will also be relieved.

The magic of the draft system.

And another wicket for Sami. Sammy gone.

Sami finishes with 3/27 in four overs.

Looks like Imad is going to bowl only two overs which is pretty silly considering he gave only 5 runs.

Back