[VIDEOS] PCB Management Committee plans to add Quetta and Peshawar as venues for PSL 8

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Mr Najam Sethi chaired the first meeting of the Pakistan Cricket Board’s Management Committee at the National High Performance Centre on Friday.

The Management Committee received a detailed update on the HBL Pakistan Super League 8 and desired to add Quetta as the fifth venue for the eighth edition of the PCB’s annual marquee event, which is scheduled to be held from 13 February to 19 March.

To ensure Bugti Stadium was ready to host the PSL 8 matches, the Committee agreed that PCB will work closely with the local administration for upgradation and renovation of the Bugti Stadium, while separate discussions will take place between PCB security experts and local authorities to ensure the safety and security of all the participants, officials and spectators.

Mr Najam Sethi: “I am delighted that seven years after launching the HBL Pakistan Super League, I am today announcing our commitment to add Bugti Stadium in Quetta as the fifth venue for our marquee event. Bugti Stadium is the home ground of Quetta Gladiators and we still remember the incredible scenes when the Gladiators visited the city after winning the 2019 tournament.

“The passionate cricket fans of Quetta have been waiting for long to watch high-profile cricket in their backyard and I am pleased that we will now bring HBL PSL matches to their doors. In this relation, I have already spoken with influential officials in the Balochistan province, who have assured me of their complete support from event delivery perspectives.”

The Committee also discussed Peshawar as a potential venue to stage HBL PSL and international matches and agreed that subject to there being no restrictions imposed by the provincial and federal governments and the stadia boasting international standard facilities for cricket, broadcast, spectators and media, matches will be held in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa capital.

The Management Committee also held preliminary discussions on The Women’s League with further discussions to take place in due course.

The Management Committee discussed the domestic cricket structure under the PCB Constitution 2014 and, in the best interest of the players and event, decided to let the Pakistan Cup complete on 3 January.

On the domestic structure, which mirrors the PCB Constitution 2014, it was agreed Mr Najam Sethi, Mr Shakil Sheikh and Mr Haroon Rashid will prepare the first draft, which will be shared with the Committee for further discussions.

Mr Najam Sethi chaired the first meeting of the Pakistan Cricket Board’s Management Committee at the National High Performance Centre on Friday.

The Management Committee received a detailed update on the HBL Pakistan Super League 8 and desired to add Quetta as the fifth venue for the eighth edition of the PCB’s annual marquee event, which is scheduled to be held from 13 February to 19 March.

To ensure Bugti Stadium was ready to host the PSL 8 matches, the Committee agreed that PCB will work closely with the local administration for upgradation and renovation of the Bugti Stadium, while separate discussions will take place between PCB security experts and local authorities to ensure the safety and security of all the participants, officials and spectators.

Mr Najam Sethi: “I am delighted that seven years after launching the HBL Pakistan Super League, I am today announcing our commitment to add Bugti Stadium in Quetta as the fifth venue for our marquee event. Bugti Stadium is the home ground of Quetta Gladiators and we still remember the incredible scenes when the Gladiators visited the city after winning the 2019 tournament.

“The passionate cricket fans of Quetta have been waiting for long to watch high-profile cricket in their backyard and I am pleased that we will now bring HBL PSL matches to their doors. In this relation, I have already spoken with influential officials in the Balochistan province, who have assured me of their complete support from event delivery perspectives.”

The Committee also discussed Peshawar as a potential venue to stage HBL PSL and international matches and agreed that subject to there being no restrictions imposed by the provincial and federal governments and the stadia boasting international standard facilities for cricket, broadcast, spectators and media, matches will be held in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa capital.

The Management Committee also held preliminary discussions on The Women’s League with further discussions to take place in due course.

The Management Committee discussed the domestic cricket structure under the PCB Constitution 2014 and, in the best interest of the players and event, decided to let the Pakistan Cup complete on 3 January.

On the domestic structure, which mirrors the PCB Constitution 2014, it was agreed Mr Najam Sethi, Mr Shakil Sheikh and Mr Haroon Rashid will prepare the first draft, which will be shared with the Committee for further discussions.

Lads, especially those in Pakistan, is this practical/doable? Would love to see our Baloch brothers see some cricket live.

Premature if you asks me

Took is over 10 years to get cricket back in PK why risk everything

Firstly are the stadiums up to scratch as well

Man of action Najam Sethi, not just words. The PSL Franchises were missing this guy and will be absolutely delighted at him being back as PCB and PSL Chairman.

Not gonna happen.

Pcb doesnt have the authority to make such decision. This will come from govt.

Also if the govt says yes to this, than say good bye to cricket. The champions trophy, the asia cup all will be taken away

Kpk and baluchistan are not safe

PCB playing to the galleries by giving false hope. Firstly is the stadium in Peshawar even ready ?

Secondly, foreign players will not receive clearance from their governments to travel to KPK and Balochistan. Obviously it'd be great to see cricket there but the security situation is still tenuous.

PCB playing to the galleries by giving false hope. Firstly is the stadium in Peshawar even ready ?

Secondly, foreign players will not receive clearance from their governments to travel to KPK and Balochistan. Obviously it'd be great to see cricket there but the security situation is still tenuous.

Security situation is irrelevant if the players are being given presidential level security.

Man of action Najam Sethi, not just words. The PSL Franchises were missing this guy and will be absolutely delighted at him being back as PCB and PSL Chairman.

Your simping for Sethi is as hilarious as Major's for Misbah

IMO this is just quick political point scoring

They shouldn’t rush the return to Peshawar just because the Peshawar Zalmi ceo is throwing his toys out of the pram

Security situation is irrelevant if the players are being given presidential level security.

Whilst that’s a fair point, foreign players will only travel to these parts if they get encouraging security advice from their respective foreign offices.

I think the PCB can actually pull this off, however I also expect to see most white foreign players not travelling, I.e. Aussies, Englishmen. I think Saffers may go, Lankans, WI lads and Afghans will go. It’ll be very similar to when they held the PSL final at GSL all those years ago, and Sammy, Jordan, Malan and Samuels showed up, whilst the entire Quetta foreign contingent peaced out.

Whilst that’s a fair point, foreign players will only travel to these parts if they get encouraging security advice from their respective foreign offices.

I think the PCB can actually pull this off, however I also expect to see most white foreign players not travelling, I.e. Aussies, Englishmen. I think Saffers may go, Lankans, WI lads and Afghans will go. It’ll be very similar to when they held the PSL final at GSL all those years ago, and Sammy, Jordan, Malan and Samuels showed up, whilst the entire Quetta foreign contingent peaced out.

The foreign players who don't go initially will just be a short term set back, once the PCB proves to the world with the foreign players who are willing to go to Quetta and Peshawar that international cricket can be played there with full proof presidential security then everyone will come to these places next year onwards.

Emotional decision would be foolish to land foreign cricketers in that region, one mistake and we are zillion years back not to mention the hit PSL brand will take

Security situation is getting worst in Quetta and Peshawar, no stadium their, but Sethi is such a dynamic man , he will improve security situation and will build stadiums in two months .

Peshawar won’t happen for this upcoming PSL as the stadium won’t be ready for another 6 months atleast. The fact that he’s starting off press conferences mentioning Peshawar is just for political points, and to kick Rambo while he’s already down. Ramiz shouldn’t have said what he said but there’s no way Peshawar will host matches at this time.

As for Quetta, I suppose you could play cricket in Aleppo if you have the right security setup, but that’s absurd. Not sure why we’d go through the trouble of setting this up, in a shambolic stadium where there will undoubtedly be trouble outside the red zone. It’s an idiotic decision.

Emotional decision would be foolish to land foreign cricketers in that region, one mistake and we are zillion years back not to mention the hit PSL brand will take

Najam Sethi said in his presser that he talked to the Corp Commander there and all is good.

My advice to Sethi Sahib is to park the politician thing for now as it could hurt our cricket in the long run.

Quetta and Peshawar are not ready for international cricket.

==

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Heart-wrenching news from Balochistan about martyrdom of 5 soldiers including an Army Captain. The nation pays its tributes & respects to our heroes who laid down their lives for Pakistan. The perpetrators of terrorism will be brought to justice. Let there be no mistake about it.</p>— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) <a href="https://twitter.com/CMShehbaz/status/1607058451988942848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 25, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
6 blasts in oneday. Some people are saying 20 blasts took place.

Its funny seeing kids and grown man saying cricket needs to be hosted in Quetta and KPK

no its not. There are police officials and fans whose life is being put at risk. Why should a balochi die just because some players were to be hosted here?

If a blast takes place you really think as a mature person that the game would go on?

One blast, just in the same city, that will make the players run back and cricket would be banned in Pakistan.

Be greatful that we have cricket in Rawalpindi, Karachi, Lahore and Multan. I would take that any day over UAE grounds

Najam Sethi:

"Bugti Stadium's situation worsened in last four years"

"It will take at least six weeks to make it ready for PSL 8"

"Security is the biggest concern in Quetta but we've got assurance from our law and enforcement agencies. We are very much hopeful for conducting some of the PSL 8 matches in Quetta"

Last edited:
PZ's Mohammad Akram visiting Arbab Niaz and Hayatabad stadiums

8cdb1927-4b4d-4ade-a8de-88eceda41ed1.jpg39e5006a-230e-4b7d-a65c-ec6b2b2b02c3 (1).jpg

From media report:

It was decided in the meeting that at least one match of PSL 8 would be hosted by Quetta. PCB will contact the provincial government about the match.

As per a media report:

PCB has decided to host an exhibition match between home side Quetta Gladiators and Peshawar Zalmi on February 5 which is observed as 'Kashmir Day' countrywide.

PCB is working to chalk a budget to host only exhibition match in the city. In collaboration with security officials PCB is committed to giving high-quality cricket action to fans.

"We are too excited for playing a match at our home for the very first time," the representative said. "It is a good step taken by PCB, Quetta fans are desperately waiting for this match, and so do we. We are hopeful that all our Pakistani players will participate in this contest. There are a lot of challenges we have to face while hosting this match. Fingers crossed, I hope everything goes well," he added.

Former Test captain Sarfaraz Ahmed and current national skipper Babar Azam are expected to lead their respective teams in the exhibition match.

As per a media report:

PCB has decided to host an exhibition match between home side Quetta Gladiators and Peshawar Zalmi on February 5 which is observed as 'Kashmir Day' countrywide.

PCB is working to chalk a budget to host only exhibition match in the city. In collaboration with security officials PCB is committed to giving high-quality cricket action to fans.

"We are too excited for playing a match at our home for the very first time," the representative said. "It is a good step taken by PCB, Quetta fans are desperately waiting for this match, and so do we. We are hopeful that all our Pakistani players will participate in this contest. There are a lot of challenges we have to face while hosting this match. Fingers crossed, I hope everything goes well," he added.

Former Test captain Sarfaraz Ahmed and current national skipper Babar Azam are expected to lead their respective teams in the exhibition match.

So in a nutshell, Sethi is admitting he was talking through his behind about playing the PSL in Quetta. He thinks everyone will be fooled or impressed with hosting an exhibition match in Quetta instead

hope this match doesnt take place, Baluchistan is not a joke

So in a nutshell, Sethi is admitting he was talking through his behind about playing the PSL in Quetta. He thinks everyone will be fooled or impressed with hosting an exhibition match in Quetta instead

Najam Sethi is a journalist and a politician, what did you expect?:najam

Why can't we develop an international class stadium in Hyderabad. Super safe city, and there is a five star hotel being developed there as well.

This was always a political ploy and a few people fell for it.

Why can't we develop an international class stadium in Hyderabad. Super safe city, and there is a five star hotel being developed there as well.

The PPP owns the stadium. But they are demanding that the PCB take the responsibility to upgrade the stadium. That is where the deadlock is

The PPP owns the stadium. But they are demanding that the PCB take the responsibility to upgrade the stadium. That is where the deadlock is

IF they have the money for PJL, surely 1 billion is enough for a test cricket venue. It doesn't need to be a 2 tier stadium

IF they have the money for PJL, surely 1 billion is enough for a test cricket venue. It doesn't need to be a 2 tier stadium

PCB's position is fair, if the PPP local government has ownership rights to the stadium then they need to find the finances to upgrade the stadium. The Peshawar Arbab Niaz Stadium and Hayatabad Stadium have been upgraded by the PTI administration in KPK as they own the stadiums.

Maybe PPP should put aside their 80-90% cuts for the Niaz Stadium in Hyderabad and allocate the entire budget to the project honestly for once.

PCB's position is fair, if the PPP local government has ownership rights to the stadium then they need to find the finances to upgrade the stadium. The Peshawar Arbab Niaz Stadium and Hayatabad Stadium have been upgraded by the PTI administration in KPK as they own the stadiums.

Maybe PPP should put aside their 80-90% cuts for the Niaz Stadium in Hyderabad and allocate the entire budget to the project honestly for once.

If PCB does leave it to PPP then the stadium won't be built in 10 years, just look at the state of Sukkur Stadium

To be fair the only one who's ever shocked by Sethis pathetic political lying and maneuvering is you:))

It will take place with an Army platoon guarding it but does it make it safe?

not for fans. I would advice the cricket fan in these areas to not show up to the stadium or even go out on that day. Its going to be a huge security risk.

This match serves no purpose, just boasting the ego of the franchise owner and Najem Sethi.

Najem Sethi made a promise, and now to fulfill that promise he will get the PM invovled and the army invovled and play this stupid match in a god for saken place.

In one hit, Najem Sethi can reverse all the good things he did to get cricket back to Pakistan

how can a political party own a stadium? Stadiums are owned by the govt and PCB being a govt organization is required to provide funds for it. Especially if PCB claims ownership to it

As they say in Urdu - Hawa nikal gayee.

ApCPNyo.png

What are you guys on about? A big PSL exhibition match is being played in Bugti Stadium Quetta on Feb 5.

What are you guys on about? A big PSL exhibition match is being played in Bugti Stadium Quetta on Feb 5.

It is NOT a venue for PSL 8.

It is NOT a venue for PSL 8.

First question in the presser to Najam Sethi was about this and his answer (and note the above statement) was:

"Having a PSL game and an exhibition match in Quetta are two different things - there are differences in requirements and conditions, one is an international game and the other a domestic level match, so when I spoke to General Asif Ghafoor about this and international preparations, both in terms of the situation there on the ground and also in terms of the facilities, it was decided that to hold PSL games this year in Quetta will be premature, and to have an exhibition game and get PTV to broadcast it"

==

So is this something he had not asked before making the above statement which was done to show the previous admin was lax.

In build-up to the upcoming eighth edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), in collaboration with the Balochistan government, is set to host an exhibition match at Quetta's Bugti Stadium.

2019 champions Quetta Gladiators and 2017 champions Peshawar Zalmi will face each other in an exhibition match on February 5 in Quetta.

Sarfaraz Ahmed will lead team purple and Babar Azam will be the captain of team yellow. Babar will be joined by star cricketers including Shahid Afridi, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Haris, Danish Aziz and Saim Ayub in his team.

Sarfaraz's team purple will feature Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Hasnain, Naseem Shah, and Umar Akmal.

In build-up to the upcoming eighth edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), in collaboration with the Balochistan government, is set to host an exhibition match at Quetta's Bugti Stadium.

2019 champions Quetta Gladiators and 2017 champions Peshawar Zalmi will face each other in an exhibition match on February 5 in Quetta.

Sarfaraz Ahmed will lead team purple and Babar Azam will be the captain of team yellow. Babar will be joined by star cricketers including Shahid Afridi, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Haris, Danish Aziz and Saim Ayub in his team.

Sarfaraz's team purple will feature Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Hasnain, Naseem Shah, and Umar Akmal.

Any overseas players? Is Nishan-e-Pakistan Daren Sammy OBE playing for Zalmi for this?

Shahid Afridi about the exhibition game in Quetta:

"I am very excited to play in Quetta,"

"I would like to thank and congratulate PCB head Najam Sethi, Baluchistan government, and Pakistan Army for taking this step,

"My foundation has worked a lot in Baluchistan and I know the people there direly need such activities. I hope and look forward to amazing scenes in Quetta on February 5,"

Complete lunacy it is not sensible to play there at present, Even Uganda cricket in rationality will not play in Peshawar & Quetta

Complete lunacy it is not sensible to play there at present, Even Uganda cricket in rationality will not play in Peshawar & Quetta

Be brave. Our security forces will provide security to Foreigners and locals wherever they play in Pakistan.

The Balochistan government has evolved a foolproof security plan for the Pakistan Super League (PSL) exhibition match in the provincial capital.

In this connection, the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Quetta Azfar Mahesar presided over the security arrangements review meeting for the match on Thursday.

The match will be played on February 5 at Nawab Akbar Bugti stadium, Quetta.

“Foolproof security will be provided for the cricket match so that locals could enjoy the game,” DIG Quetta said.

DIG briefed the meeting that no one will be allowed to enter the stadium without a ticket and the gate number written on the ticket will be used for entry.

“No vehicle will be allowed to enter the stadium without a sticker,” Mahesar said.

The cricket fans claim that they are facing difficulty in getting tickets for the match. This is an exhibition match that will be held on Feb 5th at Akbar Bugti stadium in Quetta.

“It is a positive step that the PSL match will be held in Quetta, bringing the much-needed entertainment to the city,” DIG said.

People have been told not to carry water bottles with any foreign or political flag other than the Pakistani flag inside the ground.

Security will be tightened in Quetta city and near the stadium to avoid any untoward incident.

The DIG also advised the locals to cooperate with security personnel deployed at different spots.

Balochistan government has deployed thousands of police and Frontier Corps (FC) personnel to maintain order across the district. Thousands of cricket fans thronged Akbar Bugti stadium to obtain tickets.

“I have been waiting since morning to get the ticket,” Ibrahim, a local resident, claimed.

Long queues of cricket fans were witnessed outside the stadium.

On some occasions police resorted to baton charge to disperse the crowds.

Express Tribune

Be brave. Our security forces will provide security to Foreigners and locals wherever they play in Pakistan.

locals lives are at risk. they matter more

My advice to any pper or reader in quetta is that dont go to the match. Its not safe and not worth it to risk your life.

Quetta is not safe, and terrorist will be looking to target this game even if its outside the stadium

I would televise this match, and have all the bells and whistles including commentary, presentation etc.

They need to use this game as a dress rehearsal for future games in Quetta (inshAllah)

I would televise this match, and have all the bells and whistles including commentary, presentation etc.

They need to use this game as a dress rehearsal for future games in Quetta (inshAllah)

The PCB are going to televise it with full HD production like any other PSL match. The goal is to inspire confidence to get the stadium ready to host PSL games next year.

My advice to any pper or reader in quetta is that dont go to the match. Its not safe and not worth it to risk your life.

Quetta is not safe, and terrorist will be looking to target this game even if its outside the stadium

You are probably right since you have the knowledge of Balochistan Safety situation. But Im just wondering; Back in 2019, Domestic QeA matches were played in Bugti Stadium, Quetta (and also Abbottabad) and I believe there were no reports of any attacks.

So now what changes that it makes it unsafe for match to be played in Quetta? Is it because its a more significant PSL related match, or because of Pakistan Taliban?

You are probably right since you have the knowledge of Balochistan Safety situation. But Im just wondering; Back in 2019, Domestic QeA matches were played in Bugti Stadium, Quetta (and also Abbottabad) and I believe there were no reports of any attacks.

So now what changes that it makes it unsafe for match to be played in Quetta? Is it because its a more significant PSL related match, or because of Pakistan Taliban?

media attention and crowd.

Domestic qea matches dont get crowd.

Terrorists want to do as much damage on the people and get proper attention in media. This match will have all eyes on it and the stadium is going to be packed.

media attention and crowd.

Domestic qea matches dont get crowd.

Terrorists want to do as much damage on the people and get proper attention in media. This match will have all eyes on it and the stadium is going to be packed.

I have one question.

If it's not safe to play in Quetta, why is it safe to play in Lahore?

The same terrorist who can bypass security in Quetta can also do the same in Lahore?

I have one question.

If it's not safe to play in Quetta, why is it safe to play in Lahore?

The same terrorist who can bypass security in Quetta can also do the same in Lahore?

Due to landscape, terrain, ethinicity of the people and entry exit points of the city.

I might be abit wrong, but this is what s my understanding of how terrorist activity is done and is countered against.

A blast can happen any time, what mitigates the posiibilit of blast taking place is the information that intelligence agencies get by having agents amongst the terrorist or tapping calls and other information. The blast that took place in Islamabad a month ago, it was countered as intelligence agencies got a report that an attack in Islamabad was possible and thus they had set up check points. The police officer was able to identify the threat because the details may have been obtain through intelligence report.

Now as for city, it matters alot.

For terrorism activity to take place in Baluchistan and KPK, its very easy, as the borders are not protected with iran and Afghanistan. Anyone can illegally enter and go back. Thus, maintaining a check and balance is hard.

Than its also very open due to to less urbanization in areas like Baluchistan while kpk have road networks but very congested. A terrorist can come from any direction. You may have a checkpost on the road, but anyone can come from the unprepared terrain and by pass security.

I live in rawalpindi/islamabad. All the entry points of rawalpindi which is the motorway, gt road east and gt road west have security checkpost in place. Even the entry point and exit point of islamabad will have its own security checkpost. Thus, whenever intelligence report is obtained, its easy to stop the terrorist at the checkpost.

Plus, the neighborhood of islamabad is as such that its not conjested. In congested areas anyone can be living in any place, in urban areas your where abouts are being watched by security and can be easily pinpointed.

The issue with KPK is the congestion. You dont know who might be living in your mohalla there.

Another thing is that in these urban cities the govt has made it mandatory that if you are renting houses or rooms, get their cnic copy along with police character certificate. Which is why the biggest risk in urban cities are the airbnb for which you dont need a character certificate and can give anyones cnic.

Kpk and baluchistan are poor and uneducated areas. No one bothers with getting such documents ready as house owners or room owners want rent and will give living space to anyone.

This is a big factor as terrorist first enter a city and live in a space before carrying out their attack

Than ethinicity matters. Not being racists or anything, but there is a reason why muslims are stopped at airpots, similarly there is a reason why people who you can tell by their facial features they are pashtun are questioned more.

The taliban are basically pashtuns, even if they are not, they look very much like pashtuns. In KPk and Quetta they blend in very easily.

In places like punjab where we punjabis are tanned and dark skin, the pashtuns are very easy to be recognized. Thus, when crossing security checkpoints, if you look like a pashtun with unkept hair and can be seen from your clothing and body languague that youare from the lower class, you will get stopped.

They will talk to you and you will answer and they will pick up your dialect.

I remember we used to play a club crickrt match at a ground which was inside a small airbase. We were not allowed to carry phones inside that base when going there to play a match. Because our team of that day had 2-3 pathans, the one who was abit messy was identified and the securities guy kept questioning him. He had a pathun accent, and they kept asking that you look like an afghani, if you not afghani where is your cnic, show us your cnic ...

For terrorism to take place in urban cities, terrorist groups would need a higher budget. Expensive cars, well groomed terrorist, that would get them in easily...

Anyways, these are some factors that come into play when it comes to bypassing security in quetta and lahore

Hope they show this in the UK, even if it’s on YouTube.

Given that it’s going to be Pakistan only playing squads for this game, I see the following teams playing:

Peshawar Zalmi XI:

Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Haseebullah
Mohammed Haris
Haris Sohail
Danish Aziz
Aamir Jamal
Wahab Riaz
Usman Qadir
Arshar Iqbal
Sufyan Muqaddam

Quetta Gladiators XI:

Ahsan Ali
Abdul Wahid Bangalzai
Omair Bin Youssuf
Iftimania
Sarfaraz
Umar Akmal
Mohammad Nawaz
Shahid Afridi (special attraction)
Aimal Khan/Kernal Zahid
Naseem Shah
Mohammed Hasnain

As am I brother. Ironically, the new Arbab Niaz Stadium is the best new stadium in Pakistan. There was news in the grapevine that Pakistan may host Afghanistan in a bilateral series at this venue in the summer. Would be great, and a way to demonstrate to visiting teams that Peshawar indeed is safe (which inshAllah it will be when the series takes place)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully sanity prevailed and PSL concluded without any hiccup all possible due to divine help otherwise this administration was helmet on spoiling it

The PSL will be much fairer when home and away fixtures for all teams are introduced.

Hopefully that won't be too far into the future.

Renovated Arbab Niaz Stadium to Host Pakistan Vs. Afghanistan Matches Soon

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has shown interest in hosting a white-ball cricket against Afghanistan at the newly-renovated Arbab Niaz Stadium in Peshawar this year.

According to media reports, PCB officials have sent a proposal to the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) in this regard, to hold exhibition matches at the iconic venue in Peshawar.

It is pertinent to mention here that the construction and renovation work of the Arbab Niaz Stadium has been in progress over the past few years and will soon be completed.

Last year, ex-Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister, Mahmood Khan suspended two employees due to delays in the project and sought details regarding the slow development work.

Yesterday, the owner of the Peshawar Zalmi, Javed Afridi, shared a short video of the iconic stadium and said, “Inshallah, Peshawar Zalmi will play their home games in PSL 9.”

Earlier this year, PCB Chairman, Najam Sethi said that the Arbab Niaz Stadium and Bugti Stadium will host international matches this year, as well as the next edition of PSL.

Still a lot of work which needs to be done to finalize the upgrades at Arbab Niaz. It seems like work has been delayed since IK government abolished but all responsible parties need to step in to make sure work gets completed so that matches can be played here.

The outfield looks hideous and the roofing is still incomplete, but it should be in good shape in a year or so and Peshawar is definitely ready to host cricket again.

It is as safe or dangerous as any other city in Pakistan but the key here is the perception. As long as it lingers both for Pakistani belong who belong to other cities and for foreign players, it is difficult to see Peshawar hosting matches in the near future.

In the long-term, PCB needs to investment in upgrading and developing the following stadiums:

1. Lahore
2. Karachi
3. Rawalpindi
4. Multan
5. Faisalabad
6. Peshawar

6 quality, state of the art stadiums are more than sufficient for Pakistan.

Lahore and Karachi should ideally be multi-tier stadiums like flagship Indian stadiums but PCB struggles to get a full house in the single-tier stadiums on most days let alone multi-tier stadiums.

Pakistani fans are not that invested in cricket anymore especially watching matches in the stadium. A lot of that has to do with the security protocols prior to entering the stadium.

You have to go to the stadium and the surrounding vicinity hours before the match starts and it is just not worth the trouble.

The stadium doesn't have floodlights. That could be a problem. Is there a way portable floodlights could be used as a temporary measure?

The Muzaffarabad Stadium didn't have floodlights hence they used temporary portable floodlights in the stadium.

The stadium looks way better than before. Still needs some work but it already had been developed a lot. The outfield needs a lot of work, Flood lights need to be installed.

Some positive news for the cricket fans from Peshawar who want to see cricket matches in their stadiums.

-----------------
PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi announces to install floodlights in Bugti Stadium in Quetta, Balochistan. Domestic and international matches will be hosted here in future In Shaa Allah 🇵🇰❤️

0pUu9AF.png

Bahria Town suffers from congestion issues because of GT-Road.

DHA Phase 5 and Phase 2 (does not have space) have separate lanes on the highway near their gates, they are extremely secure from a security point of view. Serena to DHA 5 will take barely 30 mins. It could be an excellent choice.

Also, Bahria Town will soon have a Pearl Continental as well, this can reduce the commute even further if required.
Serena to DHA 2 would take ages.

Serena to DHA 2 would take ages.
Nah bro, the highway has been partially expanded and undergoing full expansion. You shut the highway down for two hours when teams move. Easy. 30/40 mins?

Otherwise Gulberg Greens could be a choice but i dont think they have the space or the security infra.

It's about time. A team with PZ fan following deserves to play at home.
Savak bhai, do you really think international teams can play in Peshawar? Its a crazy thought. Javed Afridi is an ethno nationalist, he is obsessed, but his obsession is not above player’s security interests.

Savak bhai, do you really think international teams can play in Peshawar? Its a crazy thought. Javed Afridi is an ethno nationalist, he is obsessed, but his obsession is not above player’s security interests.

Have you seen the state of Peshawar? It's not ready to host anything international until its society and infrastructure gets a major overhaul. Can the police be trusted to provide foolproof security?

You might as well play in downtown Kabul. KPK and Balochistan are not ready. Maybe revisit in another 10 years.

With Presidential Security teams can play in FATA if required. If Pakistan is providing Presidential Security which will also be beefed up by the army, PSL teams and foreigners can play anywhere in Pakistan. Foreigners must be conditioned to accept suicide attacks, unlimited bomb attacks in Pakistan, as long as Presidential security is being provided, they have nothing to worry about.

Back