[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rishabh Pant's performance watch post-injury

Hitman

Test Debutant
Runs
[VIDS/PICS] "The road to recovery has begun and I am ready for the challenges ahead": Rishabh Pant

India's star wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant was hospitalised after surviving a major car accident while he was returning from Delhi to Uttarakhand.

Uttarakhand DGP Ashok Kumar told India Today that Pant was driving his BMW car that caught fire after hitting the divider at the Narsan border. Pant claimed he lost control of the car after falling asleep while driving, according to the Director General of Police in Uttarakhand. Rishabh Pant was alone in the car at the time of the accident and broke a window to escape.

According to the doctors, Pant suffered injuries to his forehead and leg. After getting the information, Superintendent of Police Dehat Swapna Kishore Singh reached the spot. Dr. Sushil Nagar, chairman of Saksham Hospital, said that at present Rishabh Pant's condition is stable, he has been referred to Max Dehradun.

According to eyewitnesses, Rishabh's car collided with the railing and caught fire. With great difficulty, the fire was brought under control. Simultaneously, Rishabh Pant, who was severely injured in the accident, was taken to Saksham Hospital on Delhi Road.

Link: https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...-on-delhi-dehradun-highway-2315250-2022-12-30

rishabh_pant_car.jpeg

whatsapp_image_2022-12-30_at_9.36.38_am.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish him speedy recovery. Everything else is secondary. Pictures don't look great.

That is horrific.

Hoping the best for him. Get well soon.

Why didn't he catch a flight to Dehradun instead?

He was coming to Roorkee to celebrate new year with his family. Roorkee is a small town with no airport.

Quality of Indian cricket (test cricket) will decline rapidly under his absence (even at home)! Him and Bumrah (who is also injury prone) are the only threats in Indian Test Team (overseas particularly) to the opposition! Also I don't think he will be good enough player if he returns back! Such a sad end to a promising career!!!

According to doctors he is out of danger. He has head and back injuries and apparently fracture in right leg. He has now been shifted to Max hospital Dehradun for further treatment.

Wishing him safe and speedy recovery. Hope it isn't too serious.

According to doctors he is out of danger. He has head and back injuries and apparently fracture in right leg. He has now been shifted to Max hospital Dehradun for further treatment.

That's a serious blow. This could well keep him away from cricket for a long time.

Thankfully he's out of danger according to VVS. Still seriously injured though.

Kid's a fighter, family must be so sad and worried. Hope speedy recovery, very entertaining keeper.

Wish he recovers soon. Looks serious but good to hear that he is out of danger

That's a serious blow. This could well keep him away from cricket for a long time.

Seems so but considering the seriousness of accident he his lucky that he has got away with these injuries. Rishab was self driving his Mercedes, around 5.30 in morning the car got rammed into the highway dividers, toppled and caught fire. I think he lost control of the car due to drowsiness.

Very sad to hear that but he is a fighter and will recover soon, Inshallah

Indian cricketer Rishabh Pant has sustained injuries after his car collided with the divider and caught fire while he was travelling from Delhi to Uttarakhand. Pant was driving his Mercedes car, which met with an accident near Roorkee in Uttarakhand. Director General of Uttarakhand Police, Ashok Kumar, has confirmed that the cricketer was alone in the car at the time of the accident and broke the windscreen to escape from the vehicle after it caught fire.

He has sustained injuries to his head, knee and shin as a result of the accident. There could be a fracture in his leg and he is currently being moved to the Max Hospital in Dehradun.

"Indian cricketer Rishabh Pant's car met with an accident at around 5:30 am. The incident took place at Mohammedpur Jat near Roorkee. According to what Pant said, he dozed off while driving and as a result the car collided with the divider and caught fire. He was moved to the Roorkee hospital from where he has now been shifted to Dehradun," DGP Ashok Kumar told the media.

Pant was part of the Indian team that had won the Test series against Bangladesh 2-0 earlier this month. He had impressed with knocks of 46 and 93.

He was recently dropped from the T20I team announced for the series against Sri Lanka and was supposed to join National Cricket Academy for strength and conditioning programme ahead of February's Border-Gavaskar Trophy against Australia.

Pant had celebrated Christmas in Dubai with former India captain MS Dhoni and his family and the pictures were shared on social media by Dhoni's wife Sakshi.

Pant has been India's regular wicket-keeper across all formats after MS Dhoni's retirement and has been one of India's top performers with the bat in Test cricket in past two years.

He had played a big role in India's second successive Test series victory in Australia in 2020/21.

Uttarakhand chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami has said that entire cost of Rishabh Pant's treatment will be borne by the state, He has further stated that air ambulance facility will be provided if Pant is needed to be shifted.

NDTV

Last edited by a moderator:
Good he is out of danger and he will get well in the future. How will this impact his Cricket career ? Will miss the WC and WTC I guess.

No burns or fractures according to initial reports, but a torn knee ligament.

Get well soon!.
Story has similarities to Grosjean. Kid's a fighter

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My thoughts and prayers are with Rishabh Pant as he fights his way back to recovery. I have spoken to his family and the doctors treating him. Rishabh is stable and undergoing scans. We are closely monitoring his progress and will provide him with all the necessary support.</p>— Jay Shah (@JayShah) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayShah/status/1608705043846565888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

India cricketer Rishabh Pant was severely injured after he was involved in a horrible car crash during the early hours of Friday. Pant was on his way to Uttarakhand when his car rammed into a divider around 5:30 AM and caught fire on the Delhi-Dehradun Expressway. Thankfully, Pant's injuries are not life-threatening as reported by the Police, and he is being carefully monitored at Dehradun's Max Hospital for injuries sustained to his head, back and a fracture in his feet. Images of Pant's burnt car and Pant laying on a hospital with a bloodied bandage in his head sent shockwaves but fortunately, the India cricketer is stable. Here are five things to know about the freak accident.

1 Pant escaped the car timely to avoid catastrophe

The impact of the collision of Pant's car with the divider was such that it caught fire within minutes after the accident. Pant, however, despite being injured, shattered the windscreen of his car and escaped in the nick of time to avoid fatality. Pant was on his way to Roorkee was alone in his car at the time of accident.

2 Pant 'dozed off' while driving

As per his own statement, Pant, who was driving the car, had fallen asleep while on the stretch. "He dozed off while driving and as a result the car collided with the divider and caught fire. He was moved to the Roorkee hospital from where he has now been shifted to Dehradun," DGP Ashok Kumar told the media.

3 What was the car which Pant was driving?

Pant was driving a BMW. While, there was initially a confusion between whether Pant was inside a BMW or a Mercedes, the police confirmed that it was the former. BWF may be one of finest and most luxury sedans in the country but the results of its crash tests are not satisfactory.

4 Where is Pant hospitalised

After the accident, Pant was immediately taken to a hospital in Roorkee, from where he has now been moved to Max Hospital in Dehradun, which is approximately half an hour from Mohammedpur Jat, the exact point of the accident. All expenses for Pant’s treatment will be incurred by the Uttarakhand government, said Pushkar Singh Dhami. Dhami, the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, added that Pant the cricketer could be airlifted from Dehradun to New Delhi.

5 The extent of Pant's injury and how long is he expected to be out for?

As per the latest development, Pant fortunately has not sustained any fractures or severe injury, confirmed after X-Rays. His main injuries are on his head and knees. Pant has suffered two cuts - one of which is just above the left eye - and there is a ligament tear on his knee. Given the extent of the damage on his back, Pant might require skin grafting or plastic surgery on his back, which is likely to keep him out of playing any form of cricket for at least the next one year – all but ruling him out of the 2023 World Cup in India.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-car-five-things-to-know-101672375208504.html

I am curious about situation in India.

When Pant says he dozed off, is that some sort of euphemism for being drunk? Are such tests carried out by Police? or does his position as celebrity preclude from even discussing such matters?

I am curious about situation in India.

When Pant says he dozed off, is that some sort of euphemism for being drunk? Are such tests carried out by Police? or does his position as celebrity preclude from even discussing such matters?

Can't say about other cities, but in my city drunk driving was extremely common till around 3-4 years back. The Govt. has come down strictly on drunk driving since then. As of now, police carries our routine random checks. And if caught, they are fined Rs. 10,000 (which is a hefty amount here), and their driving licence is suspended.

Ohh god, that looks horrific, wishing him speedy recovery. I hope he is out of danger.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Thank God he survived. Looking at the damage done to the car, I am really surprised how he survived that.

Takes 3 months for a fracture to fix, so will be out for 5-6 months atleast. When is the world cup? DK will be getting the job i guess

Just came to know about this. Seriously shocking. Driving so early in the morning in Delhi isn't safe these days. Get well soon.

Thank God he survived. Looking at the damage done to the car, I am really surprised how he survived that.

Takes 3 months for a fracture to fix, so will be out for 5-6 months atleast. When is the world cup? DK will be getting the job i guess

I think this should be the least of concern right now. Looking at the pictures of that car, we should be thankful that he survived.

He was driving at around 4am. Won't be surprised if he did fall asleep.

His blood tests will be done as part of the procedure and would reveal any alcohol.

I heard he landed in Delhi via a late night flight and striaght away took his car to Roorkee.

Visibility at 4am is pretty low in Delhi. Won't be surprised if he couldn't see the divider.

Can't say about other cities, but in my city drunk driving was extremely common till around 3-4 years back. The Govt. has come down strictly on drunk driving since then. As of now, police carries our routine random checks. And if caught, they are fined Rs. 10,000 (which is a hefty amount here), and their driving licence is suspended.

He was driving at around 4am. Won't be surprised if he did fall asleep.

His blood tests will be done as part of the procedure and would reveal any alcohol.

I heard he landed in Delhi via a late night flight and striaght away took his car to Roorkee.

Noted - Thanks.

He apparantly managed to get out of the car before it took fire.

And really don't understand why they are spreading his pictures, especially the first one where he is on hospital bed and the two guys (doctors?) standing there for for a photo shoot.

The visibility on the expressways connecting Delhi is always poor during winter. Thankfully he is ok and will be fit and fine in a few months.

He apparantly managed to get out of the car before it took fire.

And really don't understand why they are spreading his pictures, especially the first one where he is on hospital bed and the two guys (doctors?) standing there for for a photo shoot.

thank god. hopefully will recover and come back stronger.

Its a south asia problem. Showing pics getting media attention, associating the doctor and the hospital and getting free press.

India cricketer Rishabh Pant was severely injured after he was involved in a horrible car crash during the early hours of Friday. Pant was on his way to Uttarakhand when his car rammed into a divider around 5:30 AM and caught fire on the Delhi-Dehradun Expressway. Thankfully, Pant's injuries are not life-threatening as reported by the Police, and he is being carefully monitored at Dehradun's Max Hospital for injuries sustained to his head, back and a fracture in his feet. Images of Pant's burnt car and Pant laying on a hospital with a bloodied bandage in his head sent shockwaves but fortunately, the India cricketer is stable. Here are five things to know about the freak accident.

1 Pant escaped the car timely to avoid catastrophe

The impact of the collision of Pant's car with the divider was such that it caught fire within minutes after the accident. Pant, however, despite being injured, shattered the windscreen of his car and escaped in the nick of time to avoid fatality. Pant was on his way to Roorkee was alone in his car at the time of accident.

2 Pant 'dozed off' while driving

As per his own statement, Pant, who was driving the car, had fallen asleep while on the stretch. "He dozed off while driving and as a result the car collided with the divider and caught fire. He was moved to the Roorkee hospital from where he has now been shifted to Dehradun," DGP Ashok Kumar told the media.

3 What was the car which Pant was driving?

Pant was driving a BMW. While, there was initially a confusion between whether Pant was inside a BMW or a Mercedes, the police confirmed that it was the former. BWF may be one of finest and most luxury sedans in the country but the results of its crash tests are not satisfactory.

4 Where is Pant hospitalised

After the accident, Pant was immediately taken to a hospital in Roorkee, from where he has now been moved to Max Hospital in Dehradun, which is approximately half an hour from Mohammedpur Jat, the exact point of the accident. All expenses for Pant’s treatment will be incurred by the Uttarakhand government, said Pushkar Singh Dhami. Dhami, the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, added that Pant the cricketer could be airlifted from Dehradun to New Delhi.

5 The extent of Pant's injury and how long is he expected to be out for?

As per the latest development, Pant fortunately has not sustained any fractures or severe injury, confirmed after X-Rays. His main injuries are on his head and knees. Pant has suffered two cuts - one of which is just above the left eye - and there is a ligament tear on his knee. Given the extent of the damage on his back, Pant might require skin grafting or plastic surgery on his back, which is likely to keep him out of playing any form of cricket for at least the next one year – all but ruling him out of the 2023 World Cup in India.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-car-five-things-to-know-101672375208504.html

Falling asleep while driving is one of my biggest fears. Very sad to hear that it happened to Pant.

Have dozed off a few times for a few seconds at a time in the past before jolting myself back up on the way home if I didn’t get enough sleep at night.

Am sure everyone here has experienced this too at some point.

Last edited:
People forget how fragile this life is no matter how big of a star you are. Who cares about his Cricketeting career. Hopefully he makes full recovery.

Media Statement – Rishabh Pant from BCCI

India wicket-keeper Rishabh Pant met with a car accident early on Friday morning near Roorkee, Uttarakhand. He was admitted to Saksham Hospital Multispecialty and Trauma Centre where he was treated for impact injuries.

Rishabh has two cuts on his forehead, a ligament tear in his right knee and has also hurt his right wrist, ankle, toe and has suffered abrasion injuries on his back. Rishabh’s condition remains stable, and he has now been shifted to Max Hospital, Dehradun, where he will undergo MRI scans to ascertain the extent of his injuries and formulate his further course of treatment.

The BCCI is in constant touch with Rishabh’s family while the Medical Team is in close contact with the doctors currently treating Rishabh. The Board will see to it that Rishabh receives the best possible medical care and gets all the support he needs to come out of this traumatic phase.

<iframe src="https://tvid.in/1xr7f7f9gz/toi" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="width:642px;height:481px;background-color:#000000;"></iframe>

Falling asleep while driving is one of my biggest fears. Very sad to hear that it happened to Pant.

Have dozed off a few times for a few seconds at a time in the past before jolting myself back up on the way home if I didn’t get enough sleep at night.

Am sure everyone here has experienced this too at some point.

Same. Happened with me a few times. It’s far more dangerous if you’re alone in the car.

I know the area and have commuted several, maybe multiple dozens, of times between the two cities.

Fog at this time of the year and this time of the morning (5:30am as the stories say) is horrific. In fact starting on this route at minimum 8am in the morning is manageable, with visibility 50 metres or so. At the time Pant was supposed to driving, he must have started at 4am, when the visibility can be a few metres, if not feet. I did it once years ago and we were down to speeds of 10km per hour, and finally pulled over. Truly scary stuff.

I’m stupefied that he was on the road in this weather. What’s horrifying is the condition of that car, which suggests he was driving at some speed. In this weather you have to be, sorry to say, completely crazy to do that. And to doze off on top of that? Words fail me. He’s lucky he got away with it.

Last edited:
Geez , horrifying looking @ pics of burnt vehicle and vdo, he is lucky to come out alive. That zone is horrible for early morning drives in winter, there are always incidents in the area.
Wishing him a speedy recovery!

I know the area and have commuted several, maybe multiple dozens, of times between the two cities.

Fog at this time of the year and this time of the morning (5:30am as the stories say) is horrific. In fact starting on this route at minimum 8am in the morning is manageable, with visibility 50 metres or so. At the time Pant was supposed to driving, he must have started at 4am, when the visibility can be a few metres, if not feet. I did it once years ago and we were down to speeds of 10km per hour, and finally pulled over. Truly scary stuff.

I’m stupefied that he was on the road in this weather. What’s horrifying is the condition of that car, which suggests he was driving at some speed. In this weather you have to be, sorry to say, completely crazy to do that. And to doze off on top of that? Words fail me. He’s lucky he got away with it.

Yes basically a life learning for everyone out there, being alone and driving a car late night or early morning in this weather should be strictly prohibited. No matter whatever be the reason but these life tragedies won't tell you before coming.

This will have a massive impact on his career. He has multiple injuries and I hope, it isn't but this could well be curtains to his cricketing career.

Video of Rishabh after the accident

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/pu4z8v" width="560" height="994" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks scary and glad he is ok, according to news reports he has a ligament tear in his knee. That is the riskiest injury from a sports perspective.

That looks scary and glad he is ok, according to news reports he has a ligament tear in his knee. That is the riskiest injury from a sports perspective.

Nah not really, he is not in a position were he has to run a lot at high speeds..

He will be fine, in the NFL we have players that are required to run on turf/grass fields at high speeds who blow their legs out with acl/mcl tears and most come back fine..

Last edited:
Nah not really, he is not in a position were he has to run a lot at high speeds..

He will be fine, in the NFL we have players that are required to run on turf/grass fields at high speeds that blows their knees with acl/mcl tears and most come back fine..

Knee injuries can be riskyfor wicketkeepers because they have to squat a lot. That being said - there isnt enough information yet. Hoping its a minor tear that can heal quickly

I've just seen the accident (CCTV) on social media. Suffice to say Pant is so lucky to get still be alive.

Horrific. Hope he gets better and fast.

Some journo claims he only survived because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt and thus go out of the car quickly. Don't know how true that is, but if it is he's a lucky boy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Distressed by the accident of noted cricketer Rishabh Pant. I pray for his good health and well-being. <a href="https://twitter.com/RishabhPant17?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RishabhPant17</a></p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1608776012241993728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I just saw the footage of the accident. Man o man he got out with very minor injuries with respect to how serious the accident looked.

I'm glad he survived, the images and videos look devastating.

Best of luck to him. His injuries sound quite significant even if they are not life threatening.

Main questions now:

1. Did he inhale smoke - it killed Anne Heche.

2. How bad is his knee injury, and is it easily reparable?

3. Has he sustained significant burns?

I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Best of luck to him. His injuries sound quite significant even if they are not life threatening.

Main questions now:

1. Did he inhale smoke - it killed Anne Heche.

2. How bad is his knee injury, and is it easily reparable?

3. Has he sustained significant burns?

I wish him a speedy and full recovery.
Sounds silly to ask given what he's just gone through. Just wondering whether it will it effect his cricket career?

Saw the video. He's an idiot, lucky to be alive. Wish him speedy recovery.

Even if he gets back to cricket, I wonder if he can keep wickets, he could play as a batsman (in tests). That much service (test batting) itself will be vital for India. Don't bother if he doesn't play LOIs and doesn't do keeping...

Could have been far far worse. HE is lucky no other vehicle was involved. Even this looks mighty scary.

<iframe src="https://tvid.in/1xr7f7f9gz/toi" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="width:642px;height:481px;background-color:#000000;"></iframe>

It seems he was driving too fast and lost the control.

India cricketer Rishabh Pant, who suffered a horrific car accident on Friday morning, was rescued by a local driver, who made sure that the Indian cricketer safely escaped the car that had caught fire. Pant, 25, luckily escaped any major injury and is currently is currently undergoing treatment in Dehradun's Max Hospital. Pant had apparently dozed off while driving, which led to his speeding car, a Mercedes-AMG GLE43 Coupe, ramming into the divider and causing the crash.

Thankfully, the driver, who goes by the name of Susheel Kumar, was present at the moment the accident took place and immediately came to the cricketer's rescue. Susheel revealed that he was driving on the other side of the road – from Haridwar to Haryana when he saw Pant's car crashing and the force of the impact pushing it on the other side of the road. More importantly, Susheel had spotted that the car was about to catch fire and helped Pant safely reach the other side of the road.

"I am a driver with Haryana Roadways, Panipat depot. Our bus has left Haridwar at 4:25 in the morning. I was on my way when I saw a car, being driven at a lot of speed, got disbalanced and crashed into the divider. After the impact, the car landed on the wrong side of the road - the one that goes to Delhi. The car had screeched onto the second lane of the road seeing which I immediately applied the brakes. The car had already caught sparks so I and the conductor rushed to get him out of the car. By then the fire has started. Then, three more people came running and got him on a safe side," Susheel told several media outlets.

Susheel further informed he did not know Pant's identity until the cricketer told him about it. But not bothered about making videos, wasting time or anything else, Susheel did what was required at that hour – call the ambulance. He stated that initially, there was no help – even Pant's mother's phone number was not reachable – but the ambulance arrived in due time to take him to a nearby hospital. Pant was in a terrible shape physically, with blood dripping from his face and scratch marks all over his body, but before things could get any worse, Susheel along with some other locals, jumped to save the day.

"We began to cry for help but no one came. I called the National Highway, no one answered. Then I ran up the police and the conductor called for an ambulance. We kept asking him he is he fine. Offered him some water. After regrouping, he told us he is Rishabh Pant. I don't follow cricket so I didn't know who he was but my conductor then told me 'Sushil... he is an India cricketer'," added Susheel.

"He gave us his mother's number. We called her but her phone was switched off. The ambulance arrived after 15 minutes and we got in him. He had also scattered his money on the road, which we picked up and handed them to him in his hands. I asked him if he was alone in the car. He said there is no one. His face was covered in blood and his clothes torn and his back was scratched. He was panicking and limping."

Some reports saying that money was stolen from Pant as well

If so, that is despicable.

==

As per the report, Rishabh Pant was trying to get out of his car but was unable to do so due to his injuries. In the meanwhile, some men present in the area came near the burning car. Instead of trying to help the injured cricketer, they reportedly took money from a bag the cricketer had in the car and ran away.

https://www.opindia.com/2022/12/cri...t-the-spot-looted-money-from-his-bag-reports/

Dozing off while driving is extremely dangerous but it is something that sometimes you don't have control over it. An accident can happen even if you doze off for 2 seconds only. It has happened to me as well, while driving on the highway my eyes closed off despite being well rested. It's so weird when that happens because in your mind you still get the visuals of the road ahead which leads you to believe that you are driving the car and nothing is wrong. May Rishabh recover soon and be in great health as before.

Some reports saying that money was stolen from Pant as well

If so, that is despicable.

==

As per the report, Rishabh Pant was trying to get out of his car but was unable to do so due to his injuries. In the meanwhile, some men present in the area came near the burning car. Instead of trying to help the injured cricketer, they reportedly took money from a bag the cricketer had in the car and ran away.

https://www.opindia.com/2022/12/cri...t-the-spot-looted-money-from-his-bag-reports/

What type of despicable people live in our society.

Very sad. Wish him well. From the pics he's extremely lucky if a BMW is in that state it must have been at a high speed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Honorable Prime Minister of India Shri <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@narendramodi</a> ji called up Rishabh Pant's family and inquired about his health following his car accident this morning. We thank the Prime Minister for this gesture and his soothing words of assurance.</p>— BCCI (@BCCI) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCCI/status/1608835925555187713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2022</a></blockquote>

Back