[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rishabh Pant's performance watch post-injury

Pant is an evergreen player. He is quite impressive in the ongoing IPL and has already found his rhythm

But Pant has proven his worth on the international stage while Kishan is mediocre.

Yes, Pant has better credentials but we are talking of this IPL. Kishan and Samson have also been impactful.

Kishan is also only 25 and he's as mediocre as Saim Ayub whom everyone rates as the best T20 batsman in Pakistan.

During an interview with local Indian media, Delhi Capitals head coach Ricky Ponting stated that Pant remains his No. 1 choice:

"Do I believe whether Rishabh should be there in the World Cup squad? Absolutely I do. He deserves to be in that WT20 squad by the end of the IPL."

"I think we have seen Rishabh play the way we have seen him play in last five or six years in IPL, and now back playing for India."

"Rishabh's comeback to international cricket is nothing short of remarkable. I spent a lot of time with him during last IPL and a lot of us were actually sceptical that whether he will actually play the game again, such a horrific accident and I had spoken to him about it, I wasn't sure whether he will play again."

"There was never any doubt in his mind that he will be back playing again. As each game goes by, we are starting to see a better and better version of Rishabh Pant, his batting has had more impact in last couple of games compared to start of the tournament, he is starting to move well behind the stumps."

Pant took a very sharp catch and few other diving takes. Looks like he is back to his full fitness. Still not sure if is good enough for the T20Is, he was always pretty average in this format. Lets see.. good for Indian cricket, he is more needed in test matches

He has made himself a strong contender for India's ICC T20I World Cup squad 2024. DC captain Rishabh Pant scored an unbeaten 88 off 43 against GT in IPL 2024.

Rishabh Pant breaks Pakistan's Usman Khan's record, becomes first batter to score more than 60 runs against one bowler in a T20 match

Delhi Capitals skipper Rishabh Pant scored 62 runs from 18 balls he faced against Mohit Sharma. He scored 26 runs from 25 balls he faced against other bowlers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rishabh Pant Handed One Match Suspension By BCCI Over Code Of Conduct Breach

Delhi Capitals captain Rishabh Pant has been suspended by the IPL governing body for one match, according to a release by the BCCI on Saturday afternoon. It means that Pant, an important cog in DC's wheel if they are keep their IPL playoffs ambition alive, will miss the side's next game against Royal Challengers Bengaluru on Sunday. DC are currently fifth in the IPL table with 12 points from as many games.

"Mr Rishabh Pant, Captain, Delhi Capitals has been fined has been fined and suspended for one match for breaching the IPL Code of Conduct after his team maintained a slow over-rate during Match 56 of the TATA Indian Premier League (IPL) 2024 against Rajasthan Royals at the Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi on May 07, 2024," the release said.

"As it was his team's third offence of the season under the IPL's Code of Conduct relating to minimum over-rate offences, Rishabh Pant was fined INR 30 Lac and suspended for one match. The rest of the members of the Playing XI, including the Impact Player, were each individually fined either INR 12 Lac or 50 per cent of their respective match fees, whichever is lesser.

"As per Article 8 of the IPL Code of Conduct, the Delhi Capitals filed an appeal challenging the ruling of the Match Referee. Following this, the appeal was referred to the BCCI Ombudsman for review. The Ombudsman conducted a virtual hearing and affirmed that the decision of the Match Referee remains final and binding."

NDTV

Determined Pant reflects on successful comeback with T20 World Cup looming

Rishabh Pant's return to competitive cricket has been nothing short of remarkable, following a gruelling 14-month hiatus due to a near-fatal accident in December 2022.

This period of absence meant Pant missed out on several significant tournaments, including the IPL 2023, World Test Championship 2023 Final and the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 at home.

Now, at 26 years old, Pant has made a triumphant return and appears to be back to peak fitness after completing a full season with the Delhi Capitals in the Indian Premier League.

Reflecting on his journey back to the field after Delhi's final game of the season against the Lucknow Supergiants, Pant expressed his gratitude for the unwavering support he received from fans across India.

"I think personally it was fantastic to come back on the field. The kind of support I got from whole India I would say was heartening to see," Pant told the broadcasters after Delhi's last game of the season. "Wherever I went to play, I got support from each and every person. That was really good to see.

While it took Pant a few games to shake off the rust, he quickly regained his form with the bat and emerged as his team's top run-scorer, amassing 446 runs in 13 matches at an impressive strike rate of 155.40.

His stellar performance throughout the season not only contributed to his team's success but also paved the way for a national comeback as he was picked in the India squad for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

"Everyone knew that I am playing after one-and-a-half years so it was a long time to wait outside the ground,” Pant continued. “Loved every bit of it, just coming onto the ground, I just don't want to stay away from the ground, want to stay on the field all the time."

Pant is expected to be India’s first-choice wicket-keeper in the T20 World Cup ahead of Sanju Samson.

India's campaign begins on 5 June with their opening Group A clash against Ireland before they take on Pakistan in a much-awaited clash in New York. The Men in Blue will round off their group stage fixtures against USA (12 June) and Canada (15 June.

Ricky Ponting backs Rishabh Pant to have a huge impact at T20 World Cup

The Australian legend was amazed at the impact the India star had during the IPL and is expecting him to perform well at the T20 World Cup

Delhi Capitals coach Ricky Ponting has labelled Rishabh Pant’s roaring comeback to professional cricket after a major car accident as “nothing short of spectacular”.

The swashbuckling left-hander made 446 runs at an average of 40.54 and a strike-rate of 155.40 while claiming a joint-high 16 dismissals with the gloves during the most recent India Premier League season.

“It's been nothing short of spectacular, to be honest,” Ponting told The ICC Review.

“I spent a few months with him in the middle of the IPL last year, which was only sort of three or four months after his accident.

“And I had grave fears then that he would never play the game again. What he'd been through psychologically, but what he'd been through physically. At that stage, he still couldn't walk.

“He was on crutches. And I remember saying to him, what do you think about next season? He just looked at me and said, don't worry, I'll be right. And he's looked after himself incredibly well.

“The Delhi Capitals franchise has done a great job looking after him. Patrick Farhart has been his physio. He's done a great job with him as well.”

While Pant’s efforts with the bat were eye-catching, what saw him return to the Indian squad for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 was his quality keeping.

Ponting admitted that the real concern around Pant was how he would handle the wicket-keeping load.

“No one had real concerns about his batting, because of how good he is and how dynamic he is with the bat,” Ponting said.

“But with his wicket-keeping, and having to squat every ball for 14 games in a row, there were certainly some concerns there.”

Pant finished the league stage of the IPL with 16 dismissals, the joint-most by any wicket-keeper in the season.

On the back of his impressive showing behind and in front of the stumps, Pant was named in India's T20 World Cup squad as predicted by Ponting.

“I was asked when I was over there what I thought about him,” the Aussie legend said.

“He'd been picked in the Indian squad, and I basically said he'd be one of the first players picked, and sure enough he was.

“So, great to see him back out there playing again. I've enjoyed every moment of working with him. Obviously, he's been the captain of the Delhi Capitals, and I've been the coach there.

“But it's been a remarkable comeback, and hopefully he has a huge impact on this World Cup.”

ICC

Rishabh Pant said speaking on BCCI TV:

“We are used to playing in certain countries but this is a different prospect. It has opened up a different channel for sport because I feel cricket is growing around the world and…getting the exposure here would be nice for cricket as well as USA cricket.”

Indian Captain Rohit Sharma, speaking during the pre-match press conference against Pakistan, discussed Rishabh Pant's role in the team:

"I had to see Pant in a few IPL games to decide where I wanted to play him during the World Cup. When I saw him during the first half of the tournament, I was really happy with his performance. With a player like him, and the ability he has, it is tough to find the right number for him. But when we have three right-handers in the start, it is nice to have him in the middle. When we move ahead in the tournament, spinners will play a big role and his counterattacking ability against spin will be important."

Good innings in terms of the runs he got but looked very, very hacky. He was giving me Awais Zia vibes. Most of his runs came off edges.

I struggle to believe that he normally bats like this as well. I remember when he first burst onto the scene it was because he had an insane Ranji season.

Its hard to explain but as a Pakistan fan, I don't mind seeing Pant batting out there.

He's not a massive threat. He is not someone who will take us out of the game like a Kohli or Sehwag.

I don't care how ugly his innings was! He single-handedly brought india back into the game and kept our hopes alive. Not to forget his excellent WK behind the stumps. He's my MOTM.

MOM for me.
On a pitch where run scoring was very difficult and 120 was defended.
He scored 40+ at a very healthy strike rate of 135. We would have surely lost if not for Pant's brilliance. Also he kept well.

I wish all Indian team had Pant’s mindset and fearless attitude. In stead what we have is this useless obsession with 50s and 100s for many batters.

So glad for him to be playing like he is after a comeback from that level of accident.

Azam Khan should take note and not take his place for granted

Pant is a match winner on his day. What he did in.the rest series against Australia is what players around the world dream of. He has many bad days agreed, but his good day he is a beast. Pakistan has Fakhar Zaman.

Love the way he has come back. He looks fitter, toned and also looks relaxed. Its almost as if the time off forcibly due to injur was beneficial to him. I love his attitude, his fearless ness, he does not swagger or prance around like a schmitar toting megatoth or an attitude fuelled gen y, z whatchamacallit....he plays with an old fashioned sense of freedom, he plays because he enjoys this and is living every moment and his dream. ...all this with a twinkle in his eye, an extrordinary sense of jurrat and a smile on his face...the kind of game you'd want your kid to play.

more power to him - cheers Champ and thanks for the dozens of super memories you have already given in such a short carreer already...

Rishabh Pant is 26. He has a lot of things to learn. But in terms of ability with the bat he is as good as anyone bar the fab 4.

Its hard to explain but as a Pakistan fan, I don't mind seeing Pant batting out there.

He's not a massive threat. He is not someone who will take us out of the game like a Kohli or Sehwag.
He is not the hack he looked like yesterday.

I'm guessing you haven't seen much of him. Though you should remember his one-handed sixes in the game where Pakistan broke the overall Streak :dhoni

Plenty more Ind-Pak games to come in his career where he will display his full array. You guys underestimated Rohit Sharma at one point too :)

Once he settles in, Pant unleashes his aggression, particularly against fast bowlers.

Rishabh Pant in T20s this year:

Balls range: 1-10, Runs: 170, SR:119

Balls range: 11-20, Runs: 172, SR:148

Balls range: 21+, Runs: 182, SR: 214

His keeping has vastly improved. He has found a slot in T20 set up.
That was the only problem I had with him until lately. Still too early to say. There is very little point in a keeper being able to bat if he can't do his primary job efficiently. I have always backed him from the time he made his debut. The only thing I wished is him improving his keeping.​

That was the only problem I had with him until lately. Still too early to say. There is very little point in a keeper being able to bat if he can't do his primary job efficiently. I have always backed him from the time he made his debut. The only thing I wished is him improving his keeping.​
Reflexes are so much better since the accident.

He has been good so far. He helped India reach 196 today.

Without his cameo, India might have ended up with 170-180.

Should have taken that catch. It was an easy one but sometimes it happens. No damage done.

Pant has the knack of getting out to most ordinary deliveries while hitting unplayable balls for boundaries.

I think he is doing fine with his form atm. He is playing a perfect role for india.

He's not keeping well. Was very poor in the Australia match. Batting wise he's already hit and miss in this tournament

Extremely poor tournament for Pant.

Once again proved that he is not a T20 player.

Rishabh Pant May Leave Delhi Capitals. This IPL Team Leads Race To Sign Him: Report​

Indian cricket team wicket-keeper batter Rishabh Pant may leave Delhi Capitals ahead of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2025, according to a report by Dainik Jagran. Pant is currently the most capped player as well as the leading run-scorer for the franchise. However, the report claimed that DC may not retain Pant ahead of the mega auction despite support from Director of Cricket Sourav Ganguly. The report further stated that if Pant is released by DC, his most likely destination will be Chennai Super Kings. With MS Dhoni set to retire in the near future, CSK are on the lookout for an Indian wicket-keeper batter and they will be extremely interested in signing a talented Indian cricket team star like Rishabh Pant.

Earlier. India all-rounder Shivam Dube credited the Indian Premier League for improving his skills and gaining confidence as he made inroads in the Men in Blue side after the successful 2024 season.

Dube finished as the second-highest run-scorer for Chennai Super Kings in the season with 396 runs including three half-centuries at a blistering strike rate of 162.29. His strong show in the cash-rich tournament earned him a coveted spot in India's highly competitive 15-member T20 World Cup squad.

The all-rounder kept his place in India's playing 11 throughout the tournament and delivered in crunch situations for the side including the crucial knock of 27 runs in the final against South Africa. He built a vital 57-run partnership with Virat Kohli (76) to take the side to 176/6 in 20 overs as India defeated Proteas by six runs to add a second T20 World Cup title to their cabinet. He amassed 133 runs in eight innings while batting in the lower middle order.

"The IPL is remarkable, both for players and for the growth of cricket in India. It provides a fantastic platform for young talent to showcase their skills alongside some of the best players in the world. Personally, playing in the IPL has been a significant learning experience, helping me improve my game and gain confidence," Dube told IANS.

Former Indian cricketer Aakash Chopra while speaking on his YouTube channel:

"I am not aligned with this personally because the best avatar of Rishabh Pant you have seen is as a Test cricketer. He is the only wicketkeeper in the history of Indian cricket who has scored centuries in South Africa, England, and Australia in Test matches."

If not Delhi Capitals, which team should Rishabh Pant represent in IPL 2025?

Rishabh Pant during an interview with local channel:

"Asian teams like Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka excel in their home conditions because they are familiar with the wickets."

"As the Indian team, we focus on maintaining our own standards and looking at how we can improve. We play with the same intensity regardless of the opposition and aim to give 100 percent every day."

"There's always pressure because in international cricket, you can't afford to underestimate any series. The margins between winning and losing are very fine, and nowadays, the gap between international teams is quite narrow."

"Playing domestic cricket is crucial because match practice is essential for any cricketer."

"It's also an opportunity for younger players to learn from us. Seeing international players return to domestic cricket sets an example. There's so much we can give back to domestic cricket."

"It's a fantastic feeling for me, especially after the accident two years ago. I kept thinking about when I would get the chance to play for India again."

"In the last six months, I've played in the IPL, and we also won the World Cup. Winning the World Cup was a childhood dream come true."

Rishabh Pant may have missed out on the first innings of his return to first-class cricket, but the wicketkeeper-batter was in no mood to waste another opportunity as he hit a rapid fifty for India B against India A in the first round of Duleep Trophy 2024. Pant hit his 20th first-class fifty in just 34 deliveries as he tore into the India A bowling line-up on Day 3 of the match at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru.

Star Indian wicketkeeper-batter Rishabh Pant said in an interview with a local YouTube channel:

"I understand what he [Rohit Sharma] is saying on the ground. However, I don't understand much when it comes to off the field."

"It was one of the most important matches of the season [IPL 2024] for us and we needed to perform well. I couldn't play that match and was thinking what could I do from the outside."

"It was an amazing relationship. There was a lot of freedom and understanding with Ravi Bhai. Instead of telling me not to do something, he would give me a better option. I believe in that approach. I don't like when someone says that this cannot be done. I was getting out to off-spinners very often at one point. He told me that I needed to do something about facing off-spinners. He asked me to start playing the reverse sweep against off-spinners."

Sourav Ganguly Calls Rishabh Pant 'One of India's Best Test Batsmen', But 'Needs to Get Better in...'​

Rishabh Pant, who made his return in white-ball format in the T20 World Cup this year, will play his first Test after almost two years following the horrific car crash that ruled him out of the entire 2023 season.

The star wicketkeeper-batter returned to India squad for the first Test against Bangladesh, scheduled to be played at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai from September 19.

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly believes Rishabh Pant is on course to become an all-time great in Test cricket but at the same time, the southpaw needs to raise his game in the shorter formats.

“I consider Rishabh Pant one of India’s best Test batsmen. I’m not surprised that he’s back in the side, and he will continue to play for India in Tests,” Ganguly was quoted as sayig by PTI during at a promotional event in Kolkata.

“He will be an all-time great in Tests if he keeps performing like this. For me, he needs to get better in the shorter formats. With the talent he has, I’m sure with time, he will become one of the best.”

This is hilarious lol Imagine joining the opposition team's huddle

cWv0BVt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Former Australian captain and ex-Delhi Capitals head coach Ricky Ponting hailed Rishabh Pant's comeback during an interview with a sports media outlet:

"It's a remarkable comeback. If you can even see his leg now and listen to the stories he tells about what he had confronted during his car accident, just the mental scarring that comes with that but the physical side and the rehab he went through, I didn't think he would play last year's IPL (2024)."

"But 12 months before, he said 'Don't worry about me, I guarantee you I'll be right for the IPL'. We thought he'll be able to bat and we might have to use him as a sub player (Impact Player) but he kept every game, was one of our leading run-scorers, bats No. 3 in the T20 World Cup and is part of a World Cup winning team and is named in the Test squad now."

"It's a remarkable comeback and we've all seen him play and heard him in the stump mic, he's an infectious character to have around the group. He loves his cricket, he's a winner, that's what he is."

Back