[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Talent Spotter : Kamran Ghulam

He's been brilliant. Hopefully a call up to Pakistan team against South Africa.

:salute

Highest run scorer in a season of Quaid e Azam Trophy, ever.

1220* in 20 innings, and still going.

Have to give him a chance when he is in such supreme form especially in a home series. I’m a big fan of Saud but I think Ghulam has done enough to get a chance first. Hopefully we’re brave enough to play the following top 6:

Azhar
Abid/Shan
Babar
Saud
Fawad
Ghulam

Have to give him a chance when he is in such supreme form especially in a home series. I’m a big fan of Saud but I think Ghulam has done enough to get a chance first. Hopefully we’re brave enough to play the following top 6:

Azhar
Abid/Shan
Babar
Saud
Fawad
Ghulam

Playing Ghulam at 6 is a waste, and Babar hasn't had enough experience at 3 to play there either.

I'd shuffle the order to be:

Azhar
Abid/Shan
Ghulam
Babar
Fawad
Saud

That works better in my opinion.

Playing Ghulam at 6 is a waste, and Babar hasn't had enough experience at 3 to play there either.

Azhar
Abid/Shan
Ghulam
Babar
Fawad
Saud

We will not play with six batsman specially now that Rizwan has stepped up with the bat and made number 6 his own. 7-8 probably be all rounders tough to get Ghulam into the playing IX unless Azhar opens and Babar comes in at 3.. Ghulam's bowling didn't seem to be good enough to be considered a test all rounder though they might play him as an all rounder.

Azhar
Abid/Shan
Ghulam
Babar
Fawad
Saud

Surely playing him at 3 and exposing him to the new ball, a role he is not familiar with, more of a waste? He’s got all his runs batting in the middle order and that’s where he should be given a fair chance.

Another played released by the clowns at Islamabad United.

Was given 1 game and released.

Babar given 2 games and released

Nasir Nawaz given 1 game and released

Zafar Gohar hardly getting a chance

Saif Badar benched all season and not getting a chance.

Clueless people at Islamabad

Azhar
Abid/Shan
Ghulam
Babar
Fawad
Saud

You want to play a rookie at 3 one of the worlds great batsman bats at 4 in your lineup? Better to move Babar to 3 and actually give Ghulam a chance to succeed.

Plus right now there isn’t room for 2 new batsman in the middle order. I like your lineup overall, however Saud misses out as Rizwan will slot into the 6 spot. Faheem has at least for now taken the 7 slot.

So realistically, move Azhar Ali to open. Bring in Imam/Abid along with him. I’d prefer Imam for the L/R combo. This is probably out best lineup right now:

Azhar
Imam
Babar
OPEN/Ghulam
Fawad (I don’t think he’ll be in the team for long, but for now the spot is his)
Rizwan
Faheem
Zafar/Yasir
Shaheen
Abbas
Naseem/3rd Pacer

We will not play with six batsman specially now that Rizwan has stepped up with the bat and made number 6 his own. 7-8 probably be all rounders tough to get Ghulam into the playing IX unless Azhar opens and Babar comes in at 3.. Ghulam's bowling didn't seem to be good enough to be considered a test all rounder though they might play him as an all rounder.

That makes sense, but we will need a really solid batting all-rounder at 7. The likes of Faheem, Shadab, and Zafar are still relatively untested at the role. It might be possible for all 3 to play at a time as well, and that would make our lower order pretty capable of scoring runs. We'd also be taking a risk of playing a lot of all-rounders as opposed to genuine batsmen, but the bowling options will be plentiful.

I still don't like the idea of Babar playing at 3, because he is our best batsman and his technique against the new ball isn't as refined as the likes of Williamson who play with soft hands. Babar will be at his best when he is batting at 4, and if he is performing well there, then there is no reason to change him.

I think that we could potentially look at a balanced team like this:

Azhar Ali
Abid Ali/Shan Masood
Usman Salahuddin/Kamran Ghullam
Babar Azam (c)
Fawad Alam/Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan (+)(vc)
Shadab Khan
Zafar Gohar
Hasan Ali
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Naseem Shah

That's a pretty solid team in my opinion. When we go overseas, you could replace Shadab or Zafar with Faheem Ashraf, and that would be a really decent and competitive team given the resources we have.

Having Hasan Ali means that our tail can at least be more competent and can score runs as well. Let's hope that all the players do well, and that the youngsters grab the chances to create spots for themselves on the team.

Surely playing him at 3 and exposing him to the new ball, a role he is not familiar with, more of a waste? He’s got all his runs batting in the middle order and that’s where he should be given a fair chance.

It's either 5 or 3. 6 is too far down for him to even make an impact, and he'd become one of those players who camps at the back end of the middle order, like Asad Shafiq. Rizwan is a wicket-keeper and he's scored runs at the lower-middle order. Kamran Ghullam usually occupies the slot of #4 if I'm not mistaken, but Babar won't be giving that up. And I would not change Babar's spot on the team because he's our best batsman, it's not worth sending him at 3. Unfortunately, that means that Kamran Ghullam will have to adapt to a spot on the team, and the management won't let Fawad out yet either, so he really has no choice.

You want to play a rookie at 3 one of the worlds great batsman bats at 4 in your lineup? Better to move Babar to 3 and actually give Ghulam a chance to succeed.

Plus right now there isn’t room for 2 new batsman in the middle order. I like your lineup overall, however Saud misses out as Rizwan will slot into the 6 spot. Faheem has at least for now taken the 7 slot.

So realistically, move Azhar Ali to open. Bring in Imam/Abid along with him. I’d prefer Imam for the L/R combo. This is probably out best lineup right now:

Azhar
Imam
Babar
OPEN/Ghulam
Fawad (I don’t think he’ll be in the team for long, but for now the spot is his)
Rizwan
Faheem
Zafar/Yasir
Shaheen
Abbas
Naseem/3rd Pacer

If you move Babar at 3, there is a very good chance that he might do well, but also a decent chance that he won't necessarily do well in overseas tours. Right now, he's our best batsman, and he occupies the #4 slot. The premise for building a team is to build it around your best players, not change the role of your best player. Babar does not know how to negotiate the new ball that well, so it would be foolish to send your best batsman out in a place where he isn't comfortable and potentially put him out of form. It's too big of a risk for the team.

Now that leaves two options: You either play a young opener at 3, and accept that only one of Kamran Ghullam, Usman Salahuddin, and Saud Shakeel can make the team at this point. The second option is to try and fit one of them into a spot where they aren't used to playing in hopes that they do well.

Given the dearth of our opening batsmen and the age factor, the only name that comes to my mind is Imam-ul-Haq, and he's been garbage in test matches in every chance we've given him.

So that leaves option two. If you were to ask any one of Saud Shakeel, Usman Salahuddin, and Kamran Ghullam if they would bat higher if they wanted to make the team, they'd all say yes. But with that answer is the expectation that the management gives them a long rope to adapt to the new role that they are being provided with.

If you move Babar at 3, there is a very good chance that he might do well, but also a decent chance that he won't necessarily do well in overseas tours. Right now, he's our best batsman, and he occupies the #4 slot. The premise for building a team is to build it around your best players, not change the role of your best player. Babar does not know how to negotiate the new ball that well, so it would be foolish to send your best batsman out in a place where he isn't comfortable and potentially put him out of form. It's too big of a risk for the team.

Now that leaves two options: You either play a young opener at 3, and accept that only one of Kamran Ghullam, Usman Salahuddin, and Saud Shakeel can make the team at this point. The second option is to try and fit one of them into a spot where they aren't used to playing in hopes that they do well.

Given the dearth of our opening batsmen and the age factor, the only name that comes to my mind is Imam-ul-Haq, and he's been garbage in test matches in every chance we've given him.

So that leaves option two. If you were to ask any one of Saud Shakeel, Usman Salahuddin, and Kamran Ghullam if they would bat higher if they wanted to make the team, they'd all say yes. But with that answer is the expectation that the management gives them a long rope to adapt to the new role that they are being provided with.

Good thing is that next few tests are in Asia so Kamran or Saud can have relatively easier start at number 3

Kamran Ghulam speaking to the press after the QEA Final

"It was a great moment for me to break such an old record, and I am sure the prayers of my family came to my aid"

"There is a lot of hardwork behind my good form this season, I did a lot of work on fitness during the off season and that has all paid off now"

"I have yet to see a coach like Abdul Razzaq in my career in the way he works hard with batsmen doing throwdowns and also working on the mental aspects of the game; He worked hard with the players in the nets to make sure all weaknesses are checked and so I feel he is a great coach"

"I knew this record was a 36 year old record so I was putting extra focus in my batting as I approached that milestone"

"My job is to perform well ande as we know, every players has the thought of playing for his country in his mind and to win games for his team and country, and I hope I can play for country in the future"

One called little Afridi when he scored fastest century against England in U-19 and now yhis year with Record breaking 1250 odd runs breaking 36 year old record not picked

In IPL i think they have a rule of 6 FC century before picking any batter thats why Pakistan isn't producing batsman of all formats.

One called little Afridi when he scored fastest century against England in U-19 and now yhis year with Record breaking 1250 odd runs breaking 36 year old record not picked

In IPL i think they have a rule of 6 FC century before picking any batter thats why Pakistan isn't producing batsman of all formats.

What does him doing well in FC to do with him not being picked for PSL?

He is a solid player and needs to continuously play. Regarding not getting a PSL contract, that's fine I don't many teams would have played him and if so, would have played him in wrong positions.

If he is develop his game, he has to play. Babars overall game has benefited enormously by the confidence gained by playing T20

If he has to play then everyone deserves to play pluss hes not like hes going to play t20s for pakistan anytime soon

He needs to prove his worth in the current List A tournament. If he does well then next step is do well in next National T20 to get picked for PSL7

Domestic Cricketer of the Year Kamran Ghulam thrilled to be part of Pakistan squad

• “Getting into 20-player squad out of a population of 220 million people in a historic series is something that my family and me will celebrate and enjoy,” says Kamran Ghulam

Karachi, 18 January 2021:

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Kamran Ghulam not only broke the record for most runs in a single Quaid-e-Azam Trophy this season, he also earned the recognition of being named the Domestic Cricketer of the Year in recently held PCB’s Annual Awards. Kamran broke more than 36-year-old record held by opener Saadat Ali, who had scored 1,217 in the 1983-84 season.

After the record and recognition, Kamran also received the ultimate reward as the right-handed batsman is one of the nine uncapped players named in Pakistan’s 20-member squad for the two Test-match series against South Africa starting from 26 January at the National Stadium.

The 25-year-old Upper Dir-born batsman scored 1249 runs in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy 2020-21 at an average of 62.45. He scored five centuries and as many half centuries, with 166 his best score. Overall Kamran has scored 2413 runs in 31 first-class matches, his runs tally includes nine centuries and 11 half centuries at an average of 50.27.

Kamran was supported by his brothers when he migrated from Upper-Dir to Peshawar in 2010 for the love of game, as cricket was the biggest passion of his life. He was picked in Pakistan U19 squad for the tour of England in 2013 following which he got selected in Asia Cup U19 tournament the same year.

In the Asia Cup, Kamran scored 217 from five matches at an average of 72.33. He struck one century and one half-century; with an unbeaten 102 his highest score in the tournament final against India.

The jubilant Kamran Ghulam, while talking to pcb.com.pk, said: “Getting into the 20-player squad out of a population of 220 million people in a historic series is something for me and my family to celebrate and enjoy.

“I am glad that domestic cricket is being valued and respected, and my selection will give boost to other domestic players to perform and progress to the international stage.

“At the end of the day, 11 best and most suited players will feature in the first Test, but the remaining nine will continue to enjoy being part of the elite group, considered good enough to represent Pakistan.”

Really good cameo in KPL today with 41* off 17 to win game for his side.

Played very sensible shots didn't just slog blindly.

His FC pedigree puts him in good stead to bat with a solid temperament and occupy the crease.

Had great intensity and presence at the crease.

Question is can he hack it in intl cricket?

To be honest he played some really decent cricketing shots. How someone fares at international level can only be seen once player is selected and is given a reasonable run. This is just one knock he will have to produce much more such knocks at different levels to come in the reckoning of white ball international cricket. Last year he couldn’t make KPK’s T20 side in National T20 cup and played just 4 matches in Pakistan cup so he will first be hoping to get regular chances at regional level.

Him having decent FC experience and record breaking last season in QAE was definitely a big plus. He is in mid 20s so has time as well.

Last edited:
To be honest he played some really decent cricketing shots. How someone fares at international level can only be seen once player is selected and is given a reasonable run. This is just one knock he will have to produce much more such knocks at different levels to come in the reckoning of white ball international cricket. Last year he couldn’t make KPK’s T20 side in National T20 cup and played just 4 matches in Pakistan cup so he will first be hoping to get regular chances at regional level.

Him having decent FC experience and record breaking last season in QAE was definitely a big plus. He is in mid 20s so has time as well.

Pakistan Cup was cut short because he got picked for the SA series.

A good player might be the kinda guy we need in the middle order for white ball cricket. I feel it's a bit too competitive right now to get into tests but white ball batsmen in Pak are high in demand.

Looks like a organised player and has experience in domestic in the longer format.Maybe can be tried against New Zealand B team

100 (60) in National T20 today.

Its appalling he hasn't played for Pakistan yet. He totally deserves a test match call up. He has all the ingredients to be successful at test level. His application at crease is very unlike Pakistani player.

100 (60) in National T20 today.

Its appalling he hasn't played for Pakistan yet. He totally deserves a test match call up. He has all the ingredients to be successful at test level. His application at crease is very unlike Pakistani player.

This hundred shows the kind of form he is in since that humongous QeT season

This hundred shows the kind of form he is in since that humongous QeT season

He is definitely in the form of his life at the moment. He is a tier ahead of other domestic performers likes Saud, Usman Salahuddin, etc. This is his time and PCB should ensure he gets his opportunity now.

Saud Shaqeel, Kamran Ghulam and Abdullah Shafique need to be in all 3 squads for Pakistan

Really good knock displaying variety of strokes along with his power game.

Kamran Ghulam 110* (64)

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/6y0bx1" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

How has he not played more cricket??

Excellent innings thought, should definitely be brought into the team after Hafeez and Malik retire after the T20WC. (hopefully retire)

Going forward batting in no particular order.

Usman Salahuddin
Abdullah Shafique
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Kamran Ghulam
Fawad Alam
M Rizwan

Odi

Fakhar
Abdullah Shafique
Babar
Kamran Ghulam
Saud Shakeel
Rizwan

Imam ( Reserve Batsman)

Going forward batting in no particular order.

Usman Salahuddin
Abdullah Shafique
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Kamran Ghulam
Fawad Alam
M Rizwan

Odi

Fakhar
Abdullah Shafique
Babar
Kamran Ghulam
Saud Shakeel
Rizwan

Imam ( Reserve Batsman)

Fawad should stil be in the team he done nothing wrong to be dropped

Looking solid on 33* at the moment as KP chase 159 to win the National T20 Cup

He should have played more this tournament. He could definitely be all format player for Pakistan.

My views on Kamran
-Solid temperament and ability to stay at the crease and rotate the strike in order to release pressure.
-Very good against spinners
-Muscle player who looks to hit hard instead of timing the ball but he is intelligent enough to know where fielders are and is generally in control where he wants to land the ball
-Half a player against pacers compare to his game against spinners but he is intelligent enough to not get bog down and he can rotate the strike very well against pacers
-Potential to Play all 3 formats if he can sort out his game against pacers
-Doesnt look pleasing to the eye when batting
-looks a bit rusty when he tries to muscle the ball against pacers

Need a month long crash course with M.Yousuf to remove his technical deficiency against pacers and need a one full domestic season under his belt and after that I can see him representing Pak in all 3 formats.

Selected for Bangladesh Test series - great chance to shine but who can he displace in the Pakistan line-up?

He forced his way to test team , sheer hard work and consistent performance . Never saw him playing , hope his temperament and technique is good. And, hope his age is also correct, almost.

He is a solid cricketer, and a hard worker, a true athlete, Glad to see him being selected for Red Ball cricket, would like to see him in White ball cricket in the future as well.

Very assured and calm fifty by Kamran Ghulam in the final of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

Very assured and calm fifty by Kamran Ghulam in the final of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

Highlights

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/8dqoyh" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

I hope he has a stellar PSL season which would allow him to be in NT.

In Sha Allah he'll propel his way to the top with this PSL.
Has worked very hard and suffered many injustices too.

Played Tahir admirably. Had 0 issues against him. 2 very good sixes as well.

Lovely innings today against MS.

Clean hitting, placed the ball well and ran between the wickets very well also.

Have been really impressed with him in last couple of years. The passion, hunger, hardwork and temperament of the guy has been something to see. Topped QAE charts, started performing in the format where he was considered a misfit (T20s; credit to KPL for giving him the opportunity), then scored a T20 100 for KPK in National T20 and now playing in PSL.

Everyone playing at this level obviously has some talent but, the difference when it comes to the top level is the attitude, temperament and how much a player is willing to put in to differentiate himself from the rest of the lot. I believe Kamran Ghulam has been doing that right in last couple of years and if he can carry it on then he possibly can go onto play for Pakistan across the formats and might even become a vital cog.

All depends upon him to carry on this acceleration that he has started.

This guy is a good test match player but not suited for t20 crickets he can’t even clear the inner circle ⭕️ to save his life.. but can do a job in test matches

Back