[VIDEOS] Ravindra Jadeja announces retirement from T20Is [Post Updated #258]

8FqSbGT.png

Just look how good he has been, and he keeps it simple:
- no half trackers
- keeping line and length tidy
- chages up his pace

And just by doing the basics right, he has a bowling average of 25.75 and an economy of 3.75 this WC! Def, one of the best bowling all rounders

Jadeja has played his part well this World Cup.

At this point, I think Ravindra is the best ODI all-rounder in world cricket.

Great batter and can get the job done with the ball. A better version of Moeen Ali.

Jadeja is on the roll here. Taking full advantage of the home conditions as he took 3 wickets so far against England in the 1st test match of the series.

Jaddu, the GREATEST allrounder to walk on the cricket field from subcontinent.

Jaddu has been impressive so far in batting as well. Got his 50 and still looking strong to go big here. Puts India in a very strong position against England in the 1st test match of the series.

He has been the best all rounder in the last couple of years in test. Absolutely a top tier.

False. But thanks for coming.
False for what calling him a SC bully? That's a fact. I see you have no comeback hence running away. Your deluded fans also think Ashwin who doesn't even have a 5fer in SENA is better than Imran. How ridiculous does that sound?

not in T20 cricket but yes in other rwo formats nobody can come closer to class of Ravindra Jadeja.

Jadeja and Ashwin for that matter will be very hard to replace when they both call it a day in the next 2-3 years.

Jadeja is for sure the best all rounder currently. Not just for his batting and bowling, his fielding too. Best fielder in the world currently. True three dimensional player.

Jadeja has been a beast in tests especially at home. Nobody can replace him when it comes to Home series.

Since 2015,

Jadeja Batting Average - 41.3
Jadeja Bowling Average - 22.9

Former India batter Sunil Gavaskar on Ravindra Jadeja:

"Jadeja is probably the best cricketer in the world with the contribution he makes with bat, ball, and in the field.

"He adds so much value to the team and by all accounts he is an absolute delight in the changing room as well."

fi4flgb8_ravindra-jadeja-lbw_625x300_27_January_24.jpg

GE0r_wTXAAE6gr3

India batter Ravindra Jadeja looked set to complete his century as he arrived on the pitch on Day 3 of the first Test against England in Hyderabad. However, only a few runs later, England star Joe Root trapped him in front of the stumps, and the umpire had no issue in raising his finger. However, Jadeja remained unconvinced and went straight to the third umpire, opting for a DRS referral. The third umpire analysed the footage available from multiple angles, and in the end, the decision went in the favour of Root and the England team. But, that didn't stop a social media debate from triggering.

The confusion erupted in the mind of the third umpire after the Ultra Edge showed a big spike just as the ball passed the bat. But, the impact on the pad was also at the same time. Hence, it became inconclusive if the ball hit the bat before it hit the pad.

As the third umpire went for ball tracking, both the impact on the pad and on the stumps showed 'umpire's call' on the giant screen. The final decision, hence, went in the favour of the bowling side as the on-field decision was out.

Ravi Shastri, on commentary duty for the match, agreed with the decision and also explained why Jadeja didn't get the benefit of the doubt. The former India head coach also explained if the on-field decision was given in favour of the batter, Jadeja would've stayed not-out.

NDTV

Big Blow For India! Star Player Doubtful For Second Test Against England After Getting Injured

England skipper Ben Stokes' direct hit to dismiss Ravindra Jadeja wasn't just the turning point of the first Test but could also be one that decides the course of the series as India's No 1 all-rounder across formats was seen struggling with a hamstring niggle. Jadeja, who was the top scorer in India's first innings with 87 and also took five wickets across two innings, might have snapped a hamstring muscle as he immediately felt the area trying to go for a quick single.

He didn't look comfortable and head coach Rahul Dravid, wasn't forthcoming about the extent of the damage.

"We'll see. I honestly haven't had a chance to speak to the physio as yet. Once I get back, I'll speak to him and see what it is about," Dravid said at the post-match media conference.

The extent of the hamstring injury decides the duration of lay-off but even if it is not a tear and just merely strain, it still might be advisable to give him rest for a week if not more.

The turnaround between first and second Test is a very short one - just four days - as it starts on February 2 at Visakhapatnam.

It is still not clear whether Jadeja will travel with the team to Vizag or head to National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru.

Jadeja had also missed out on a Test match last month in South Africa when he developed back spasms on the morning of the first Test in Centurion.

NDTV

As per reports Jadeja's hamstring injury may require more time for recovery than initially stated,normally hamstring issue need between four-eight weeks to heal,and he could be sidelined for an extended period. It would be remarkable if he manages to be fit for the fourth Test in Ranchi from February 23 to 27, making him almost certain to miss the third Test in his hometown of Rajkot. The recent BCCI media release mentions his absence only for the second Test.

Came ahead of Sarfaraz and Jurel when his team was 3 down for 33 runs and scored a crucial 50 supporting the skipper at the other end. Brilliant so far y this guy. Definitely one of the best all-rounders in world cricket in today's era.

Top class hundred.

4th test ton, 3000 runs, Avg 37, 20 Fifties.

In 2020s,

Jadeja with bat - Avg 41
Jadeja with bowl - Avg 23

Ravindra Jadeja got a well-deserved century, playing like Virat Kohli in the top order during the 3rd Test against England. He came in when India was 33/3. Notably, he didn't celebrate his hundred acknowledging Sarfaraz Khan's unfortunate run out caused by his own mistake. Currently, he's batting at 106*(209).

Scored 112 when his team was struggling at 33/3. This is some inning from Jadeja. He puts his team in the driving seat now as India has crossed the 400 mark in the 1st inning. He is yet to bowl so might as well be takin few wickets also.

Jadeja is among the top 3 test player of this generation. In this test match, he wasn't fully fit but ended with a hundred coming at 33/3 and then picked the 5-fer in final innings of the test.

In my opinion, he has levelled the likes of Kapil and Botham as all rounder and is only behind Sobers, Imran and Kallis as all rounders.

Ton after team was at 30 odd for 3.

Then 5-fer

Champion all-rounder.

Averages 43 in Australia with the bat and 22 with the ball.
Small sample size. Only has 1 5 fer and 1 century in SENA. That is just awful. Neil brand the SA captain has the same amount of 5fers in SENA as jadeja and Ashwin and he's only played 2 games lol.

Small sample size. Only has 1 5 fer and 1 century in SENA. That is just awful. Neil brand the SA captain has the same amount of 5fers in SENA as jadeja and Ashwin and he's only played 2 games lol.
Both Ashwin and Jadeja are clear of Imran in Test cricket.

Just stated a fact which seems to have hit the nerve. Anyway, I don't have time to waste with someone who thinks Ashwin and jadeja are better than Imran.

Just to cheer you up Neil brand has same amount of 5fers in SENA as jadeja and Ashwin combined and he an opening batsmen lol.

Averages 43 in Australia with the bat and 22 with the ball.
Averages 85 with the bat in SL and 28 with the ball
Averages 39 with the bat in WI and 21 with the ball
Combined that with the gun contribution in two series wins in Aus with bat and ball both. That alone should elevate anyone.

He is not Warne as a bowler, but a gun all-rounder for India. he is not going to win games on Green Mamba in Eng or SA, but he can contribute by holding role for a very long time even on flatter tracks. That's what he did in two series wins in Aus and also picked up wickets.

Belongs among the top-tier all-rounders in history.

Nah, IK was a better all-rounder unless you are only seeing it as someone who was turning it on as a bowler and batsman at the same time then IK falls behind. Botham comes to mind for turning it on with the bat and ball at the same time.

Nah, IK was a better all-rounder unless you are only seeing it as someone who was turning it on as a bowler and batsman at the same time then IK falls behind. Botham comes to mind for turning it on with the bat and ball at the same time.
If you are not performing with both bat and ball at the same time you are not really an all-rounder.

Jadeja in the last 4-5 years has been as good as any all-rounder in history.

Also, when all is said and done,

If a player only plays at home and can have 40-50 tests with a Bat Avg of 42 and a Bowl Avg of 21 then that itself will put someone among the top all-rounders.

How many all-rounders have 42 with bat and 21 with the bowl at home with 40-50 tests?

If you are not performing with both bat and ball at the same time you are not really an all-rounder.

Jadeja in the last 4-5 years has been as good as any all-rounder in history.
Agree with the bold.

Let me lay this here before the forced Imran vs Jadeja "debate" gets out of hand.

Imran with bat, and ball vs AUS, WI, NZ, EN, Away - (2445 runs at 34.43), (222 wickets at 23.98) Matches 55

Jadeja with bat, and ball vs AUS, SA, NZ, EN, Away - (853 runs at 30.46), (47 wickets at 37.80) Matches 19

Hopefully, the joke ends here. It wasn't funny to begin with.

Let me lay this here before the forced Imran vs Jadeja "debate" gets out of hand.

Imran with bat, and ball vs AUS, WI, NZ, EN, Away - (2445 runs at 34.43), (222 wickets at 23.98) Matches 55

Jadeja with bat, and ball vs AUS, SA, NZ, EN, Away - (853 runs at 30.46), (47 wickets at 37.80) Matches 19

Could you please also share ashwin who is also better than Imran. Anyone who thinks these 2 are even close to Imran shouldn't be taken seriously.

He averages more than 23.98 against each of these opposition away. Your stats are wrong.

Comparison of bowling stats of a spinner and a pacer in SENA.

I don't think Jadeja is better than IK. But seriously, this is lazy.

1 - You are picking 4 teams during Jadeja's career, all having W/L of greater than 1 during his playing days to NZ which had 0.5 W/L during IK's playing days and not among the top 5 teams in W/L.

2 - You are picking 4 pacers friendly venues to compare pace all-rounder vs spin all-rounder.

He averages more than 23.98 against each of these opposition away. Your stats are wrong.

The said poster is known for hyping. Remember how he was adamant that Imam Ul Haq is better than KL Rahul prior to Asia cup & world cup but completely deserted that thread after those events. ;) :kp

Anyway below are the stats of Imran & Jadeja. There is no doubt that Imran was a much better test all rounder. However not sure why are we bringing Imran into this discussion as the thread is about Spin bowling all rounder and Ravi Jadeja is one of the best.

Imran Khan

1708285934642.png

Ravi Jadeja

1708285999767.png

Coming back to the topic of the thread,

Jadeja may fit nicely into most countries' ATG XI. Very hard to find a spin all-rounder who is not just good in batting but near the top in fielding as well. The great thing about him is that he has been gun in all 3 at the same time in the last 5 years.

The fielding aspect gets less noticed, but some of the all-rounders were very ordinary in fielding.

You know times are tough when you start using fake stats to prove your point. :klopp

First Kohli destroyed Imran’s legacy as Asia’s greatest Test captain. Now Jadeja has destroyed his legacy as Asia’s greatest Test all-rounder.

The bitterness is understandable.

The said poster is known for hyping. Remember how he was adamant that Imam Ul Haq is better than KL Rahul prior to Asia cup & world cup but completely deserted that thread after those events. ;) :kp

Anyway below are the stats of Imran & Jadeja. There is no doubt that Imran was a much better test all rounder. However not sure why are we bringing Imran into this discussion as the thread is about Spin bowling all rounder and Ravi Jadeja is one of the best.

Imran Khan

View attachment 142215

Ravi Jadeja

View attachment 142216
Even with these stats Imran is on a different universe to jadeja. It's a joke that some think he's better than Imran.

Sorry for not responding in 10 minutes. I have a life outside of PP and the internet.

Read the thread, I didn't bring him in, some unique posters did.

I didn't flick the away tag in Imran's profile accidentally, I have no ill intention overall, it was an unfortunate oversight. Might be due to me not caring about double-checking what I post anymore in order to write stuff in 5 mins. Time's valuable.

Luckily for me, my point still stands despite the(minor) error.

--------------

Imran with the bat, and ball vs AUS, WI, NZ, EN, Away - (1741 runs at 34.13), (157 wickets at 26.11) Matches 37

Jadeja with the bat, and ball vs AUS, SA, NZ, EN, Away - (853 runs at 30.46), (47 wickets at 37.80) Matches 19

There we go. Has the crisis been averted?

I had 5 notifications so this must've been a big deal. Didn't mean to propagate a 170-wicket gap when in reality there was only a 110-wicket gap. I hope I did our boy Jadu a favor.

I don't think Jadeja is better than IK. But seriously, this is lazy.

1 - You are picking 4 teams during Jadeja's career, all having W/L of greater than 1 during his playing days to NZ which had 0.5 W/L during IK's playing days and not among the top 5 teams in W/L.

Imran only played against 6 test teams in his career and I picked NZ instead of IND and SL because he performed better against the latter two so I wanted to lower his stats by excluding them. Including them doesn't close or widen the gap by much.

And I'm pretty sure both IND and SL also had a losing record back then so it wouldn't have made much of a difference in that regard. Again if you want me to include them I'll be happy to do so.

2 - You are picking 4 pacers friendly venues to compare pace all-rounder vs spin all-rounder.

Most overseas venues are pace-friendly. If we are solely talking about Asia(which Jadu is designed for), then IK has a slightly better bowling average and Jadu has a slightly better batting average. The difference maker would end up being IK's much better away stats. Jadu doesn't even have 80 away wickets. This debate is an insult.

Comparison of bowling stats of a spinner and a pacer in SENA.

Yes, pace-allrounders tend to be better away from home compared to spin-allrounders. Thanks for the info.

You know times are tough when you start using fake stats to prove your point. :klopp

First Kohli destroyed Imran’s legacy as Asia’s greatest Test captain. Now Jadeja has destroyed his legacy as Asia’s greatest Test all-rounder.

The bitterness is understandable.

Corrected. Now you can read the real stats(the keyword being "read").

Could you please also share ashwin who is also better than Imran. Anyone who thinks these 2 are even close to Imran shouldn't be taken seriously.

Ashwin isn't an all-rounder. He is more of a Wasim Akram type part-time batsman that can come good on occasions.

Doesn't warrant a comparison with someone who's considered a proper all-rounder. Ashwin is a good bowler in his own right.

Sorry for not responding in 10 minutes. I have a life outside of PP and the internet.
Don't care much about life outside PP but my response was only to correct your stats.

I didn't flick the away tag in Imran's profile accidentally, I have no ill intention overall, it was an unfortunate oversight. Might be due to me not caring about double-checking what I post anymore in order to write stuff in 5 mins. Time's valuable.

--------------

Imran with the bat, and ball vs AUS, WI, NZ, EN, Away - (1741 runs at 34.13), (157 wickets at 26.11) Matches 37

Jadeja with the bat, and ball vs AUS, SA, NZ, EN, Away - (853 runs at 30.46), (47 wickets at 37.80) Matches 19

I had 5 notifications so this must've been a big deal. Didn't mean to propagate a 170-wicket gap when in reality there was only a 110-wicket gap. I hope I did our boy Jadu a favor.
Sure :rabada2

And Thanks for re writing the stats which I posted and already agreed that Imran was a better all rounder. Though I have never seen him play but stats don't lie. It is not correct to compare a pace all rounder with spinner. However I understand you have not started this debate...so not your fault.

Imran only played against 6 test teams in his career and I picked NZ instead of IND and SL because he performed better against the latter two so I wanted to lower his stats by excluding them. Including them doesn't close or widen the gap by much.

And I'm pretty sure both IND and SL also had a losing record back.

Nah, NZ had much lower W/L and was practically a minnow in those days. I also don't get the logic of clubbing certain teams without a fixed rationale. If you are not going to pick the top 4 oppositions of their playing days or then you can as well just take Asia and outside Asia.

If we are solely talking about Asia(which Jadu is designed for), then IK has a slightly better bowling average and Jadu has a slightly better batting average. The difference maker would end up being IK's much better away stats. J

That's correct. IK is just better when talking about bowling plus batting( Ignoring fielding for a moment) and that's due to his outside Asia performance with the ball.

The only thing Jadeja will have an edge over IK will be fielding., he is light years ahead of IK in that because IK was a very ordinary fielder and Jadeja is top 2-3 fielders of his era. But IK was a safe enough fielder. Another thing that may go in favor of Jadeja is his performance with bat and ball at the same time in his entire career and he is still playing and will opportunity to more all-around contributions till he retires.

Overall, it's fair to say that IK trumps Jadeja as a test all-rounder right now. I don't see how an argument can be made otherwise. If I am making an all-time XI from Asia, I will pick both. But if I have to pick one then It will be IK.

Nah, NZ had much lower W/L and was practically a minnow in those days. I also don't get the logic of clubbing certain teams without a fixed rationale. If you are not going to pick the top 4 oppositions of their playing days or then you can as well just take Asia and outside Asia.

The point is that the other two were also minnows. Adding those in wouldn't have changed his overall stats much.

If you want performances against the top 6 to be the main criteria then all you have to do is look at his overall overseas record, which again doesn't change much other than the fact the overall number of wickets and runs increases. The averages stay pretty much the same other than minor adjustments.

That's correct. IK is just better when talking about bowling plus batting( Ignoring fielding for a moment) and that's due to his outside Asia performance with the ball.

The only thing Jadeja will have an edge over IK will be fielding., he is light years ahead of IK in that because IK was a very ordinary fielder and Jadeja is top 2-3 fielders of his era. But IK was a safe enough fielder.

True, IK was an average fielder.

Another thing that may go in favor of Jadeja is his performance with bat and ball at the same time in his entire career and he is still playing and will opportunity to more all-around contributions till he retires.

Him being a spinner will help him play for a while longer, and the fact that India tends to rest him during overseas matches quite a bit.

One thing I appreciated about IK is that he skipped matches against the opposition he deemed weak. If he had the modern-day's player mindset he could've farmed runs and wickets for stats but he opted to show up for challenges. It's a different mindset.

The point is that the other two were also minnows. Adding those in wouldn't have changed his overall stats much.

If you want performances against the top 6 to be the main criteria then all you have to do is look at his overall overseas record, which again doesn't change much other than the fact the overall number of wickets and runs increases. The averages stay pretty much the same other than minor adjustments.

True, IK was an average fielder.

Him being a spinner will help him play for a while longer, and the fact that India tends to rest him during overseas matches quite a bit.

One thing I appreciated about IK is that he skipped matches against the opposition he deemed weak. If he had the modern-day's player mindset he could've farmed runs and wickets for stats but he opted to show up for challenges. It's a different mindset.
I wasn't suggesting that you intentionally picked a filter to put IK higher. Anyway, no need to look too much. IK was a far better bowler outside Asia. Yes, Jadeja helped his team win 2 test series in Aus, but IK was just a better performer outside Asia. It's reflected in his career stats. I only caught the last phase of his career, but the stats are very clear.

To be precise, Ashwin and Jadeja are like Anderson and Broad with bowl respectively but additionally, they also are Hadlee and Imran level batters. Hence, they are making a strong case to be ATG cricketers. Both average under 25 with bowl which only Murali has managed to do, not even Warne or Kumble or Herath.

Jadeja was part of the team that drew test series in England and South Africa and won twice in Australia while Ashwin was part of the team that won twice in Australia and also drew in South Africa. Both have been dominant and genuine match winners at home.

Between the two, I think Jadeja wins it because he merits a place ahead of Ashwin in SENA as he is a better batsman and fielder of the two.

Coming to Indian players in the past decade, I would say that Kohli, Ashwin and Jadeja are the ATG cricketers that India have produced from this batch of players.

Read the thread, I didn't bring him in, some unique posters did.

--------------

And I'm pretty sure both IND and SL also had a losing record back then so it wouldn't have made much of a difference in that regard. Again if you want me to include them I'll be happy to do so.

Most overseas venues are pace-friendly. If we are solely talking about Asia(which Jadu is designed for), then IK has a slightly better bowling average and Jadu has a slightly better batting average. The difference maker would end up being IK's much better away stats. Jadu doesn't even have 80 away wickets. This debate is an insult.

Yes, pace-allrounders tend to be better away from home compared to spin-allrounders. Thanks for the info.

Corrected. Now you can read the real stats(the keyword being "read").

Pace AR will have better stats in SENA than a Spin AR. What's new there?

In subcontinent, I choose Jaddu 9ver Imran.
In SENA countries, it’s IK obviously.
I don't think Jadeja and IK are like to like. One is a finger spinner while another is a pace bowler.

Although generally in subcontinent conditions you will be more inclined to play an extra spinner in which case it makes sense to play Jadeja. But that is more dependent on the pitch and conditions on the day.

Imran for 80% of his career was an ATG bowler who could bat a bit. That batting was inferior to Botham and Kapil and at same level as Pollock.

In the final 20% of his career, Imran was a world class batsman but a Kallis level bowler.

So, statistically, if we look at his career, you would believe that the player we are discussing is a GOAT one but in reality, for 80% of his career, he is basically a Hadlee level cricketer( slightly worse bowler than Hadlee and slightly better batter) and then the next 20% of his career, he was a Stokes( or slightly better) level cricketer.

The transformation is amazing but it doesn't help the team much as it seems statistically because you are not getting a world class batsman + world class bowler from one player.

The transformation is amazing but it doesn't help the team much as it seems statistically because you are not getting a world class batsman + world class bowler from one player.
Yes, that's why Pakistan won so few when playing away in 80s. NZ, Pak, Aus, Eng ... all of them won 6-8 games with W/L 0.5 when playing away.

If Pakistan was getting world-class batsmen and world-class bowlers for their entire career from IK then they would have won more when playing away.

Jadeja as a player is the most utility player that i ve seen. If he was a part of any other lesser batting units he d be batting in top 6 or even top 5 regularly and be the captain lol. He is one heck of a player and will make it to any country's 11 as a bowler alone.

i will rate him best in Test cricket only which suits his batting style but in white ball cricket we have many superior options like shakeeb, stokes, Marsh etc.

Shakib is more multi-format player than Jadeja ATM. Jadeja is a beast in tests that too in home conditions TBH.

i will rate him best in Test cricket only which suits his batting style but in white ball cricket we have many superior options like shakeeb, stokes, Marsh etc.
Jadeja is very poor in LoIs and that has shown in our LoI results during last decade or so.

Jadeja is not a poor ODI player. It's just that he does not fit India's ODI requirements.

Jadeja's ODI numbers are VERY GOOD if you see them in isolation. He'd likely be many other teams MVP with his numbers.

Ravindra Jadeja shines once again in Chepauk. He has picked 3 wickets in just 8 balls.

His final figures after 4 overs are 3/18 against KKR in IPL 2024.

Jadeja delivered an all around performance against PBKS in IPL 2024, showed his prowess by scoring 43 runs off 26 balls with the bat and clinching three crucial wickets for just 20 runs in four overs. It was just frustration, nothing more, as he had been lacking this level of performance in the IPL until now.

He can be a great 5th bowler and a wonderful batsman to come at no.8 or no.9.
Unfortunately he bats at no.6 and one of the main bowlers of the team. Too much is expected of him for the position he plays.

Ravindra Jadeja became the third batter dismissed 𝘰𝘣𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘦𝘭𝘥 in the IPL - after Yusuf Pathan (KKR) and Amit Mishra (DC)

Ravindra Jadeja scores vs PAK in T20Is

2(4), Bengaluru, 2012
13(13), Dubai, 2021
35(29), Dubai, 2022
0(1), New York, 2024

Back