[VIDEOS] Ravindra Jadeja announces retirement from T20Is [Post Updated #258]

Ravindra Jadeja’s form should not be questioned: Sunil Gavaskar defends IND all-rounder

Sunil Gavaskar said that Ravindra Jadeja should not be questioned over his form in the T20 World Cup 2024. Jadeja is yet to be at his very best in the multi-nation competition, having scored only 16 runs at an average of 8 and a strike-rate of 145.45. With the ball, the veteran hasn’t stepped up as well, having taken only a solitary wicket at an economy rate of 7.80.

In the match against Australia on June 24, Jadeja scored an unbeaten 9 off 5 balls. Thereafter, he bowled only 1 over when Glenn Maxwell took the attack to him. But Gavaskar reckoned that given his past records, Jadeja should not come under the scanner. The Little Master said that Jadeja brings in a lot of value with his experience and fielding skills.

“I am not at all concerned as he is very experienced. For whatever opportunities he's got, he's done well. And don't forget, in the field itself, he saved 20 to 30 runs with his fielding ability, taking catches, and getting the run out. So don't forget those 20-30 plus runs. Then he enters the field, with anything that he does with the bat and ball is an added value to his ability.

“So I don't think we should even think about questioning (Jadeja). The problem with India and Indian fans is, 2 bad games and you go ''what to do with him, what to do with him?'," Gavaskar said on Star Sports.

"You know that is the worry. Nobody who asks these questions even thinks about their own professions, whether they have made 2 errors and whether people are questioning their place in their own profession, whichever profession they are. This is just simply a good topic for television, you don't question Jadeja's place in the playing XI. He's a rock star," Gavaskar further added.

India made their way through to the semis of the T20 World Cup after beating Australia by 24 runs. Rohit Sharma won the Player of the Match award for his 92-run knock under pressure. In the semi-final, India will be up against Jos Buttler’s England at the Providence Stadium.

INDIA TODAY

Ravindra Jadeja’s form should not be questioned: Sunil Gavaskar defends IND all-rounder

Sunil Gavaskar said that Ravindra Jadeja should not be questioned over his form in the T20 World Cup 2024. Jadeja is yet to be at his very best in the multi-nation competition, having scored only 16 runs at an average of 8 and a strike-rate of 145.45. With the ball, the veteran hasn’t stepped up as well, having taken only a solitary wicket at an economy rate of 7.80.

In the match against Australia on June 24, Jadeja scored an unbeaten 9 off 5 balls. Thereafter, he bowled only 1 over when Glenn Maxwell took the attack to him. But Gavaskar reckoned that given his past records, Jadeja should not come under the scanner. The Little Master said that Jadeja brings in a lot of value with his experience and fielding skills.

“I am not at all concerned as he is very experienced. For whatever opportunities he's got, he's done well. And don't forget, in the field itself, he saved 20 to 30 runs with his fielding ability, taking catches, and getting the run out. So don't forget those 20-30 plus runs. Then he enters the field, with anything that he does with the bat and ball is an added value to his ability.

“So I don't think we should even think about questioning (Jadeja). The problem with India and Indian fans is, 2 bad games and you go ''what to do with him, what to do with him?'," Gavaskar said on Star Sports.

"You know that is the worry. Nobody who asks these questions even thinks about their own professions, whether they have made 2 errors and whether people are questioning their place in their own profession, whichever profession they are. This is just simply a good topic for television, you don't question Jadeja's place in the playing XI. He's a rock star," Gavaskar further added.

India made their way through to the semis of the T20 World Cup after beating Australia by 24 runs. Rohit Sharma won the Player of the Match award for his 92-run knock under pressure. In the semi-final, India will be up against Jos Buttler’s England at the Providence Stadium.

INDIA TODAY
Judging Jadeja is tricky. He's always been the most tempting of T20 players

Solid batter - career Test batting average of 36 and in fact a top orderlike 40+ over the last 5 years with the added bonus of being a left hander. Even the T20I average of 21.5 with a strike rate of 126 is acceptable if not great for an allrounder
More than useful bowler - T20I bowling average of 29 with an acceptable economy rate of 7.13 which is more or less stable even in the last 5 years
Excellent fielder. He's owned Point for the last 10 years

Somehow it never all seems to come together for India. He'll do enough to hold on to his spot but not enough to make a difference. I can't remember a match-winning T20I performance from him with ball or bat over the last 5 years. The position he bats needs a higher strike rate than 125. And while economy rate has remained acceptable, his volume of overs and strike rate have really fallen.

It's pretty clearly time to move on from him. We won't find anyone with all the attributes he offers but a batter who can bowl the odd over economically or a bowler who can bash a few big shots can replace 80% of what he does today and be more fit for the purpose.

2 bad games? lol How about 15 years full of bad games.
The 2019 semi chase is the only meaningful thing he's done for India in white ball cricket. Has to be the luckiest cricketer to have had such a long career where IPL successes continued to con people

If even Washington Sundar were given as long a rope as has been given to this fraud, he'd have won us 10x more games than J, because he is not selfish. This is a guy who is more focused on making sure his bat is grounded than looking for a potential second run off the final ball in the first innings of an LOI.

A little cameo, but he played well at the end. His 17(9) runs were crucial on this surface. He played according to the conditions. Keep it up Jaddu (y)

he was one of the best all rounder but now i think axar add more value into the team bacause of his hitting abilities.

Jadeja has always been a middling LOI player even when he was at his peak a few years ago.

OTOH, only a fool would dispute his long form status. Premier test AR of this era with the likes of Stokes etc FAR behind.

Every single team, to the chagrin of Indian fans, will pick Jadeja automatically in its T20 XI.

GOAT fielder, very tricky bowler to face on spinning wickets, and a very useful lower order bat. Only talking about T20s here. He's vastly superior, in terms of value, in other formats.

It's astonishing how much he is reviled -- I suspect because of non-cricketing (political) reasons.

His fielding has deteriorated. He used to be a gun fielder earlier. His bowling has been mediocre. Not getting a wicket on that kind of pitch against England is criminal. His batting... Well atleast he scored a few boundaries . He has been under the radar but alongwith Kohli and Dube, he has been a passenger in the current Indian team

His fielding has deteriorated. He used to be a gun fielder earlier. His bowling has been mediocre. Not getting a wicket on that kind of pitch against England is criminal. His batting... Well atleast he scored a few boundaries . He has been under the radar but alongwith Kohli and Dube, he has been a passenger in the current Indian team
His fielding is still phenomenal. Batsmen think thrice before taking doubles against his throwing arm. He still picks up the ball and throws it like a rocket, all in one go.

He gave away 16 runs in 3 overs against England with a couple of deliveries that turned viciously, creating doubt in Livingstone's mind. How is that bad?

As for being a passenger in the team, by the same logic, Dhoni was a passenger in the 2011 World Cup, at least before the finals.

One shouldn't evaluate a player, or his/her efficacy based on recency bias.

His fielding is still phenomenal. Batsmen think thrice before taking doubles against his throwing arm. He still picks up the ball and throws it like a rocket, all in one go.

He gave away 16 runs in 3 overs against England with a couple of deliveries that turned viciously, creating doubt in Livingstone's mind. How is that bad?

As for being a passenger in the team, by the same logic, Dhoni was a passenger in the 2011 World Cup, at least before the finals.

One shouldn't evaluate a player, or his/her efficacy based on recency bias.

16 runs in 3 overs is good but relative to Axar and Kuldeep , it was bad.

Yes, Dhoni was a passenger in the 2011 world cup tbh. He played a great knock in final but his form was terrible before.

Aside from the few boundaries, he hasn't done a lot this tournament. Even in the final, he hasn't been good.

I agree with this but some amount of recency bias is needed. Well a mixture of recency bias, the calibre as well as the stature.

Kohli and Dube proved me wrong today. Perhaps I was too impulsive. But regarding jadeja, he hasn't been good in lois since CT13 (aside from that NZ game)

There is no need for him now that axar Patel has established himself. India doesn't need two left arm spinners in the playing 11 of Whitehall.

Washington sunder should get more opportunities now.

Looks like he had a talk with Dhoni this morning lol. He has announced his retirement from T20Is too.

Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja announced his retirement from T20 Internationals after winning the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, beating South Africa in the final.

Having made his debut in T20Is against Sri Lanka in 2009, he played 74 matches, scoring 515 runs and taking 54 wickets.

The all-rounder uploaded a post on his official handle on Instagram where he revealed that he is hanging up his boots in the shortest format with a brief note.

Good riddance. He was going to be dropped anyway. Better jump before pushed. No contribution in t20s for a long long time. Ind t20 team is stronger without him - going forward. Atleast axar will get a more continuous run and bishnoi will get a look in. Now just waiting for yuzi chahal to announced his retirement!

Jadeja thought that he won the cup with out any performance...perfect time to divert the attention lol...

Btw... great career

Jadeja thought that he won the cup with out any performance...perfect time to divert the attention lol...

Btw... great career

Looks like he had a talk with Dhoni this morning lol. He has announced his retirement from T20Is too.
Lol, does it even matter if he has retired from T20s.

He was being played in every edition of T20 WCs since 2009 and never had he impacted our chances positively in any one of them.

Indian all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja announced his retirement from T20 Internationals after winning the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, beating South Africa in the final.

Having made his debut in T20Is against Sri Lanka in 2009, he played 74 matches, scoring 515 runs and taking 54 wickets.

The all-rounder uploaded a post on his official handle on Instagram where he revealed that he is hanging up his boots in the shortest format with a brief note.

Retire before getting fired ;)
This will inspire meme fests :p

It's good that the stars are gracefully retiring instead of being pushed out behind the scenes. Jadeja was just a passenger this world cup but he has contributed a lot to Indian cricket after the horrible start to his career. He deserves a good send off

It's good that the stars are gracefully retiring instead of being pushed out behind the scenes. Jadeja was just a passenger this world cup but he has contributed a lot to Indian cricket after the horrible start to his career. He deserves a good send off
Oh man dont remind of his start. Whenever he scored 30+ runs India was losing.

Lol, does it even matter if he has retired from T20s.

He was being played in every edition of T20 WCs since 2009 and never had he impacted our chances positively in any one of them.
Yeah his limited-overs career is nothing to write home about.

Yeah his limited-overs career is nothing to write home about.
Its such a useless statement for Indian cricket fans that he still continued to play T20s for so long.

His ODI exploits are hardly earth shattering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty mediocre T20 player. Good news for Indian future. Axar Patel is the obvious replacement.

Retiring at the high seems smart. His main format is in tests anyways. He is far superior in that

Jaddu doing the smart thing and retiring on high. Thanks for the memories especially his fielding exploits. Hope to see him do greater things in tests. I am not sure about ODIs as I can’t recall too many of his impacts in ODIs either.

with the likes of Axar is in the team now it was a perfedct time for jadeja to announce his retirement on a high note.

And he will bring back another useless Shreyas who can't save himself from facing a short ball.
I don't think iyer is in t20 mix with his 120 sr batting. He did nothing for kkr batting. Even iyer may struggle to keep his place in odis now.it will be iyer/kl /rinku for one spot.pant,pandya will be at 4 and 5/6.

I don't share the pessimism.

His recent form was nothing to write home about but his versatility was always his calling card. Arguably the best fielder in the world, with a cannon arm, a very handy Left arm finger spin option( especially as most batters are RH), and a very useful lower order batsmen. A true all-rounder. There are very few of those in our game. And a real team-first guy. What he was is a player all T20 sides could do with.

Luckily Axar has now fully developed into his own potential, so India have a ready replacement. But India will miss Jadeja's versatility.

Oh yeah… the good’ol Sir Sri Sri Ravindra Jadeja meme days 😂

Thanks for entertaining us over the years though. He was Kohli’s batch mate I think in the U-19 WC (?), so makes sense he bows out along with his batchmate.

I don't share the pessimism.

His recent form was nothing to write home about but his versatility was always his calling card. Arguably the best fielder in the world, with a cannon arm, a very handy Left arm finger spin option( especially as most batters are RH), and a very useful lower order batsmen. A true all-rounder. There are very few of those in our game. And a real team-first guy. What he was is a player all T20 sides could do with.

Luckily Axar has now fully developed into his own potential, so India have a ready replacement. But India will miss Jadeja's versatility.
I forgot to add but I think the best part of Jadeja's skillset is his character. I'm not talking about his off-field views, or politics or anything like that. But he always struck me as a determined, fearless kind of guy. You want as many of those in your team as possible. I've already mentioned that I felt he was team-first player. I really believe that. He was happy to bowl whenever asked, happy to play any type of batting innings required(or at least try to). Those things don't show up in the stats, but your teammates recognise those qualities, and so do your opponents.

Oh yeah… the good’ol Sir Sri Sri Ravindra Jadeja meme days 😂

Thanks for entertaining us over the years though. He was Kohli’s batch mate I think in the U-19 WC (?), so makes sense he bows out along with his batchmate.
He was batchmate of both Rohit (2006) and Kohli (2008). He played two under-19 world cup. India lost final to pakistan in 2006, India won in 2008.

Great T20 all rounder whos limited over impact has reduced in recent time and the retirement has been due for sometime.

Thank God.. we have many replacements for his role
So true. He was like an invasive pest leech. Good riddance. Or else he would have been kicked out of T20 Ind team anyway.. He's never done anything of note in T20s. Still good for tests in Ind though on Ind pitches

Great T20 all rounder whos limited over impact has reduced in recent time and the retirement has been due for sometime.
Great ?? C'mon bro - hes never been great in T20s internationals. :D The great moniker is being thrown around like free peanuts nowadays. Glad that we will never see him in int T20s

Great ?? C'mon bro - hes never been great in T20s internationals. :D The great moniker is being thrown around like free peanuts nowadays. Glad that we will never see him in int T20s
Yes not in T20 but I mentioned all LOIs nobody can be a great just based on T20 performances anyway.

Yes not in T20 but I mentioned all LOIs nobody can be a great just based on T20 performances anyway.
Even in ODIs. Never performed in pressure games. An average ODI cricketer he was thats all. A terrific fielder though. Tell me one great ODI knock he's had in 15 yrs on int cricketer. 15 yrs !! Thats a long long time. Maybe he has but I dont recollect any except the 2019 WC SF after which he should have built on it. Instead that was pretty much the ceiling of his batting.

Even in ODIs. Never performed in pressure games. An average ODI cricketer he was thats all. A terrific fielder though. Tell me one great ODI knock he's had in 15 yrs on int cricketer. 15 yrs !! Thats a long long time. Maybe he has but I dont recollect any except the 2019 WC SF after which he should have built on it. Instead that was pretty much the ceiling of his batting.
He didnt have standout performances but over all he by and large fulfilled his role as a lower order allrounder and 5th change bowler. He has played for India mostly without every getting dropped which showed his consistency.

Back