Virat Kohli clarifies he is available for selection for ODI series against South Africa (update #95)

Varun

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Virat Kohli has reportedly opted out of India’s three-match ODI series against South Africa which is scheduled to be held in January next year, as he plans to take a short break for personal reasons. Kohli was recently replaced by Rohit Sharma as the captain of the India ODI team nearly a couple of months after he announced his decision to give up T20I leadership role.

According to a report in The Times of India, Kohli has already informed BCCI of his plans to spend time with his family as the ODI series in South Africa falls at the same time as the birthday of his daughter.

This news comes a day after BCCI revealed that Rohit has been ruled out of the South Africa Test series due to a hamstring issue. However, the newly appointed Test vice-captain is expected to be fit for the ODIs.

The development regarding Kohli skipping ODIs may give rise to speculations that all is not well in the Indian dressing room. In the past, there have been reports of Kohli and Rohit not being on friendly terms.

“Over the years, the Indian dressing room has been fraught with egos. Be it Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar, Mohammed Azharuddin and Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid, MS Dhoni and Virender Sehwag or Gautam Gambhir. But that doesn’t mean that it has boiled over to what they go and do out there on the field. They’re professionals and are required to behave in a certain fashion at all times," TOI quoted a source tracking the development as saying.

BCCI, in a media release announcing the Test squad for the South Africa tour, had informed of its decision to hand over the white-ball captaincy to Rohit.

Earlier this year, Kohli had announced he will quite T20I captaincy post T20 World Cup in UAE where India exited from the group stage.

Speaking to News18, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had said he personally spoke to Kohli about not giving up T20I captaincy. However, the board wasn’t in the favour of split captaincy in white-ball cricket and therefore decided to hand over the captaincy duties in limited-overs to Rohit.

“It’s like I said… I personally requested him (Kohli) not to give up the T20I captaincy. Obviously, he felt the workload. Which is fine, he has been a great cricketer, he has been very intense with his cricket. He has captained for a long period of time and these things happen. Because I have captained for a long period of time; therefore, I know. Also, they wanted only one white-ball captain. And that’s why this decision. I don’t know what’s going to happen in future. But as I said, it’s a good team and it has some fantastic players and I hope they will turn it around," Ganguly said.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...p-south-africa-odi-series-report-4552055.html

What is this? No captaincy no play?

Even Ganguly trimmed his feathers when this happened to him.

Maybe those reports from a year or so ago talking of a rift between K and R had some merit in them.

Maybe those reports from a year or so ago talking of a rift between K and R had some merit in them.

Test series:
Rohit is “injured” and hence won’t play UNDER Kohli

ODI series:
Kohli wants a “break” (when he literally would have played just one match (test) in 70 days when the ODI series starts and had already had a break for the NZ series) and hence won’t play UNDER Rohit

The excuse of Bday of his daughter is so lame. Her bday is on 11th and the ODI series starts on 19th 😒

Rohit is not going play right?
This is not related to Rohit issue.

Rohit is not gonna play tests under Kohli coz he’s “injured”
Kohli is not gonna play ODIs under Rohit coz he wants “break”, when he’ll been on a break since Nov 9 - Dec 26 (just played one test during this time and got one duck in that)

Test series:

ODI series:
Kohli wants a “break” (when he literally would have played just one match (test) in 70 days when the ODI series starts and had already had a break for the NZ series) and hence won’t play UNDER Rohit

Fortunately India have enough batsmen to replace either or both as needed :)

Test series:

ODI series:
Kohli announced after Rohit's injury if I am not wrong.

Rohit magically manages to get injured for the test series when he has to play under Kohli and is slated to recover in time for the ODI series while Kohli wants to take the ODI series off when he has to play under Rohit. Pakistan cricket would be proud at the level of dramaybaazi these two guys are doing.

Now I'm seriously having doubts if Rohit intentionally managed to underperform in the WT20 to oust Kohli from captaincy and starting to buy into conspiracy theories lol..

Is there visible rift between Players and BCCI?

According to reports, Virat Kohli won't be available for the ODI series against South Africa.

Reportedly, he had informed BCCI earlier that he would take a break in early January due to his daughter's first birthday.
(Source- Sportskeeda)

If this news comes out as true, then BCCI must look at their player handling and behaviour management policies.
First Rohit Sharma misses test tour due to injury at crucial time and now Virat Kohli wants to miss ODIs for some stupid personal reasons.
Something seriously bad is happening between players and management and with many ICC tournaments not far away, BCCI should sort out things as early as possible.
Discuss..

BCCI should ban both Kohli and Rohit for atleast 6 months and make KL permenant captain in all formats..
Both Rohit and especially Kohli are making team's atmosphere bad and with major ICC tournaments not long away, BCCI must take some harsh actions.

Kohli has already made it clear that as per him, he has already achieved everything he wanted to, hence there's no zeal left.
Great batsman, but poor attitude. One of the ill effects of gaining too much money & fame is that players start giving two hoots about everything.

Having known Ganguly, I won't be surprised if Kohli retires altogether.

The excuse of Bday of his daughter is so lame. Her bday is on 11th and the ODI series starts on 19th 😒
Who the hell misses national duty for birthday of your child?

If true, it's pathetic! Kohli sinks further. This liability should not be allowed to pick and choose the games he'll play.

That's the perils of someone getting too smug with unbridled power and money.

That is the result of too much of stardom and power.

Both Virat and Rohit have earned so much that they can do whatever they want and nobody can complain.

Can't comment upon speculations but, if there is actually a rift either between the players themselves or with the board then its definitely not good/unprofessional and would be disappointing even for the fans.

Personally as a Pak fan have heard all these things about the 90s teams, 2000s and post Inzi era as well, this realization that ego of some individuals is taking precedence over their national team is worse then even losing match and series.

They should sort themselves out and focus upon the immediate issue at hand which is to form a young leadership group in Indian team which I think is lacking as after Kohli, Rohit I am not seeing anyone ready for the top job as most are yet to establish themselves as players. Transition should have been started earlier but, even now if someone really puts his hand up as a player and a leader in next two years by 2023 or so then transition can be a bit smoother. Otherwise once Kohli and Rohit hang their boots there will be a big gap.

In absnece of Kohli and Rohit, ODI team will be :-

Shikhar Dhawan
Prithvi Shaw
KL Rahul
Shreyas Iyer
Rishabh Pant (wkt)
V Iyer
Deepak Chahar
Ashwin
Yuzi
Siraj
Bumrah

In absnece of Kohli and Rohit, ODI team will be :-

Shikhar Dhawan
Prithvi Shaw
KL Rahul
Shreyas Iyer
Rishabh Pant (wkt)
V Iyer
Deepak Chahar
Ashwin
Yuzi
Siraj
Bumrah

Dhawan
Rahul *
Gaikwad
S Iyer
Surya
Pant (w)
Ashwin
Thakur
Y Chahar
Shami
Bumrah

Have always maintained that the kind of arrogance Virat Kohli possesses, it would be difficult for him to be in team once his captaincy is gone.

Only proves how humble Sachin was, who continued playing under different captains for 13-14 years post his sacking from captaincy.

If this is true, selectors should just dump him from t20's for good. Show this entitled a-hole who the real boss is. Players more important to the team have lost captaincy and carried on without pitching a fit, if he can't, he should sit at home and celebrate however many birthdays he wants to.

Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma will not be playing each other for a little while, with injury and other priorities putting their participation in the tour of South Africa exclusive of each other. After Rohit Sharma was ruled out of the entire Test series against the Proteas due to a hamstring injury, Kohli has decided to skip the ODIs on the tour to spend time with his family.

As soon as the news of Kohli giving the South Africa ODI series a miss emerged on Tuesday, rumours started surfacing on social media, suggesting a possible rift between him and Rohit over the recent captaincy change incident in limited-overs cricket. A Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official, however, has asked fans to not believe the social media chatter.

"Virat Kohli has informed us that he'll not be available for the ODI series. He wants to spend time with his family - don't read into social media rumours too much, there is nothing between Virat and Rohit", a BCCI official had told News 9.

Sources confirmed the development to Times Now as well, saying: "Virat Kohli has decided to opt out from the ODI series against South Africa. He has requested not to be part of the ODI series for personal reasons. He was supposed to be a part of Test series in South Africa from the beginning."

With Vamika turning one on January 11, Kohli has reportedly planned a holiday with his family to celebrate his daughter's birthday.

The Indian cricketing fraternity has been intensely debating the recent ODI captaincy change in the national team. While it was Kohli who had quit the T20I captaincy himself after the T20 World Cup 2021, the ODI role was handed to Rohit by the BCCI. Defending the decision, the BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said that the team couldn't have two different white-ball skippers.

Kohli, however, hasn't yet reacted to the development. Though Ganguly maintains that he and the selectors have spoken to Kohli in detail on the change in leadership, the latter is yet to issue a statement on the matter in public.

Rohit to be fit in three weeks:

It has also been learned that Rohit Sharma will be fit for the ODI series against South Africa in three weeks' time. While it was earlier reported that Rohit has suffered a hamstring tear, it has now been learned that the opening batsman had only pulled his hamstring. Hence, his participation in the limited-overs format against the Proteas isn't at risk.

India's Test series against South Africa begins on December 26 and concludes on January 15. The ODI series will then begin on January 19 and conclude on 23rd.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...-virat-kohlis-decision-to-skip-sa-odis/840348

Something ain't right. I could understand COVID bubble fatigue etc earlier, but surely this is too much now.
Rohit will miraculously fix his hamstring in 3 weeks for ODIs, and taking a break from national duty for a birthday ? Seriously.

What is with Dravid being at helm of Indian team and these kind of captaincy tussles. ?
He was involved in one as a captain and now as a coach he is again in the middle of this action.

He has lost motivation, Bollywood effect.

Better to retire from all formats and maintain his 50+ test average. No coming back from this, Kohli is finished, nothing let in the tank. Not a patch on Gavaskar, Tendulkar.

Too much involvement with bollywood does this to you.

You start believing everything is PR and then throw tantrums.

It is clear how Kohli has been targeted from the day he supported Mo Shami. All this hatred towards him started from that day backed by right wing fascist Hindu's. Kohli is confident not arrogant, the Hindu hardliners have also been on his back since he hugged Rizwan after the T20 WC defeat. He is gradually being ousted from the team by the RSS and BJP family.

Something ain't right. I could understand COVID bubble fatigue etc earlier, but surely this is too much now.
Rohit will miraculously fix his hamstring in 3 weeks for ODIs, and taking a break from national duty for a birthday ? Seriously.

What is with Dravid being at helm of Indian team and these kind of captaincy tussles. ?
He was involved in one as a captain and now as a coach he is again in the middle of this action.
Shows how much BCCI, led by Ganguly is valued by these prima donnas!

lol a usual trope. This has nothing to do with Pakistanis. You are not that important.

Nothing to do with Pakistanis but BJP pro media constantly targetting kohli, if you observe since last few months they are spreading lot of rumours and attacking him .

They keep adding diwali tweets and projecting him as anti Hindu.

No wonder BJP led Jai shah & Co purposely doing all this.

Bhakts are triggered with his diwali tweets, Backing Shami and his liberal views.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with Pakistanis but BJP pro media constantly targetting on kohli, if you observe since last few months they are spreading lot of rumours and attacking him .

They keep adding diwali tweets and projecting kohli as anti Hindu.

Bhakts triggered with his diwali tweets, Backing Shami and his liberal views.

Bhai he has hardly scored any runs. Rest is just speculation. Every sportsman has to come to end of his career, and Kohli cannot conveniently skip series as and when he desires. He was given Captaincy for 6 full years in LOIs, did not produce desired results and so, time to move on.

Not just these 2, quite a few others too like Dravid, VVS, Kumble etc.

I was talking in terms of mantle of batsmanship in India. From Merchant to Hazare, then a gap, then Sunny in 1971, Sachin, Kohli. The alphas of our batting lineups, so excludes some otherwise brilliant batsmen like Vishy, Jimmy, Vengsarkar, 2000s legends, Pujara etc. who were the supporting cast.

In 2018 it looked like Kohli was a worthy successor to that lineage of alphas, now he doesn't look like he belongs in that class. Big fall in level compared to Sunny and SRT.

BCCI needs to crack a big whip and put this drama to end. First of all, cancel the IPL contracts of these 2 idiots, Rohit and Kohli.
Put a younger captain in charge and tell the team in clear terms that no such divisions and unprofessionalism will be tolerated.

In 2018 it looked like Kohli was a worthy successor to that lineage of alphas, now he doesn't look like he belongs in that class. Big fall in level compared to Sunny and SRT.
I always maintained that people were too hasty in declaring Kohli as Tendulkar's successor in terms of taking his legacy forward. There is a reason why longevity is worth so much.

Who knows what the reasons are behind the scenes but he shoule have given a better excuse.

He represents a nation of people where a large number are carrying out back breaking work in awful conditions(not a slight on India, its just facts for the SC).

To say he cant be bothered doing his job because of his kids birthday is next level entitlement and a slap in the face to people who support the national team.

Last edited:
BCCI needs to crack a big whip and put this drama to end. First of all, cancel the IPL contracts of these 2 idiots, Rohit and Kohli.
Put a younger captain in charge and tell the team in clear terms that no such divisions and unprofessionalism will be tolerated.
It's quite clear that Rohit himself isn't professional enough so don't think we should nurture any hopes of our title drought getting over anytime soon.

I would love this but having followed Indian cricket for decades, it is an entire culture built on icons/superstars/egos. So this would never happen. The BCCI will bend to the will of this egomaniacs.

I would love this but having followed Indian cricket for decades, it is an entire culture built on icons/superstars/egos. So this would never happen. The BCCI will bend to the will of this egomaniacs.

It's quite clear that Rohit himself isn't professional enough so don't think we should nurture any hopes of our title drought getting over anytime soon.

Yeah that is what will eventually happen. A bit sad that this is happening with Ganguly and Dravid at helm.
But those two were upto no good during Chappel saga. So, no hope.

One loss to Pakistan and it’s all falling apart.

I thought the India/Pakistan game was just another match for India according to new age IPL Indian fans

One loss to Pakistan and it’s all falling apart.

I thought the India/Pakistan game was just another match for India according to new age IPL Indian fans
No one care Pakistan games.
You just live in your own bubble.

Don't India have other candidates for captaincy like Pant or Dhawan maybe? Kohli and Rohit have always been the two better batters of Indian team and there will always be some professional jealousy if one gets golden boy treatment and other feels ignored. India should not loose two of its very fine batters this way.

I think that is the reason they brought in Dhoni as mentor in T20 WC to fix these type of issues in team.

As a Pakistani, I obviously hate the man, as a cricketer lover, there is no1 in that bracket at the min, but if i was an indian cricketer lover, i would be furious on how the BCCI is treating Kholi... it is an abs disgrace to the man.... and if i was kholi, i would slap the BCCI with a retirement ...

Not many people can dream about doing what this guy has done ... and 99% of the cricketers will have to perform out of their 9 cat lives to do what he has done in short spam.....

i cannot believe people are suggesting he is at wrong for opting out,,,, i would be going mad for wasting all those years for these fans who r abs shame and stupid

Do cricketers not get annual leave, anyhow there must be better things to do in his life other then playing cricket for India.

"As of now, Virat Kohli hasn't sent any formal request to skip the ODI Series against South Africa to either BCCI president Sourav Ganguly and Secretary Jay Shah."

"Virat Kohli is travelling with his family." - A BCCI Official (To PTI)

:acp

Kohli is Kevin Pietersen-lite. He can pick a fight with Kumble and Rohit and still claim the problem is those two.

Damn, one loss against Pakistan and India cricket is falling apart :)))

Thank god we dont play series with them or else they would had shot each other after a series loss.

That Pakistan loss led them to think that Kohli not suited for limited overs captaincy, ergo making Rohit captain, ergo not appreciated by Kohli, ergo both not wanting to play under each other.

He doesn't have the motivation anymore to be a great player. He skips too many matches these days. It is time BCCI ask tough questions from him.

Thank god we dont play series with them or else they would had shot each other after a series loss.

That Pakistan loss led them to think that Kohli not suited for limited overs captaincy, ergo making Rohit captain, ergo not appreciated by Kohli, ergo both not wanting to play under each other.[/QUOTE

Don’t think this could be the issue as In T20 ind has better record against Pakistan . It was India’s poor run in World Cup which could have led to this . India also lost against NZ. Latest news is that Kohli would be playing in ODi. I believe this rumours are created by Non Kohli fans

That Pakistan loss led them to think that Kohli not suited for limited overs captaincy, ergo making Rohit captain, ergo not appreciated by Kohli, ergo both not wanting to play under each other.

The Kohli-Rohit spat seems to have been brewing long before the Indo-Pak match. If anything, the result was probably one of the manifestations of the fractured team environment.

Kohli will play the ODIs...dont believe in these rumours. Everything is fine in Indian cricket.

Kohli will play the ODIs...dont believe in these rumours. Everything is fine in Indian cricket.

There's no smoke without fire. Don't be swayed by the damage control PR.

If that is the case why was Kohli not removed after CT Finals loss? So the loss against Pakistan has nothing to do with this Kohli-Rohit spat.

However, you are right that defeats against Pakistan raises eye more brows for the following reasons:

1) Its a rare occurence as India mostly wins in these encounters.

2) A rare defeat against Pakistan gives Pak loving Indians and parties like Congress to rejoice by bursting fire crackers sitting in India :inti

Who knows what the reasons are behind the scenes but he shoule have given a better excuse.

He represents a nation of people where a large number are carrying out back breaking work in awful conditions(not a slight on India, its just facts for the SC).

To say he cant be bothered doing his job because of his kids birthday is next level entitlement and a slap in the face to people who support the national team.
If anything, players should take break for their families. Its just a game not war. Besides, its the right time to try young players like Gaikwad who is on hot streak.

Absolutely hate this sport. How (contracted) cricketers get to choose when not to represent their country? That's disrespect to country, duty, and contract.

These "luxury" "selfish" players make this sport "part time", "casual". That's the biggest insult to the game of cricket.

Kohli looks like someone going through a professional mid life crisis. There is no hunger or desire to achieve anything big anymore. Such an individual should not be captaining India in any format. India is such a great side right now, it doesn't really matter who leads them.

Wait.
Kohli's daughter's birthday is on 11th January.
Kohli is available for test series and third test will start from 11th January.

Seems like this "Kohli taking break due to daughter's birthday" is just a rumour created by some anti-kohli fan base.

I don't see any problem , kohli is prioritising tests here. But problem I'd rohit always getting injured before any SENA tours for test matches

Daughter's bday is an absolutely valid reason and may God bless her. But in this case it's a lame reason because Kohli and most Indian players these days hardly ever travel without their families even for local tournaments, Kohli's wife almost acting like first lady of Indian cricket. With these new age Indian cricketers foreign tours are also family holidays.

If anything, players should take break for their families. Its just a game not war. Besides, its the right time to try young players like Gaikwad who is on hot streak.

When did you last see an Indian cricketer going on any tour without his family? Aus, eng, dubai, NZ everywhere there families travel with them.

Nothing to do with Pakistanis but BJP pro media constantly targetting kohli, if you observe since last few months they are spreading lot of rumours and attacking him .

They keep adding diwali tweets and projecting him as anti Hindu.

Bhakts are triggered with his diwali tweets, Backing Shami and his liberal views.

Rubbish! If Kohli had won 2015 WC or 2017 CT or 2019 WC or 2021 WCT20 he would not have been fired. He has failed repeatedly and now his supporters start crying about "bhakts" after he is fired.

Any other captain would have had better results with all the talent India has.

Last edited:
If that is the case why was Kohli not removed after CT Finals loss? So the loss against Pakistan has nothing to do with this Kohli-Rohit spat.

However, you are right that defeats against Pakistan raises eye more brows for the following reasons:

1) Its a rare occurence as India mostly wins in these encounters.

2) A rare defeat against Pakistan gives Pak loving Indians and parties like Congress to rejoice by bursting fire crackers sitting in India :inti

Well can't say the loss against Pakistan has nothing to do with it. Otherwise why was Rohit demoted to 1 down in the match against Newzealand. Kohli literally wanted to tell Rohit that you aren't good enough for the new ball now mate with your sluggish reactions. Considering he didn't even get the bat remotely close to the ball against shaheen. Kohli clearly over reacted there in pushing Rohit down the order. Rohit didn't like it. For me that actually triggered it.

Results under Kohli's captaincy were not really a problem. A lot of good captains have not won the ICC CT. The problem has been Kohli has not been well liked by his team mates for a while and has burnt too many bridges inside the BCCI and the team. Therefore it is no surprise to see him being booted out as captain in the T-20 and ODI format.

When did you last see an Indian cricketer going on any tour without his family? Aus, eng, dubai, NZ everywhere there families travel with them.
So? Any professional is entitled to take a break and its a welcome change in the Indian work culture. They might be traveling with family but they still playing cricket. Yes

If the BCCI is smart they should hold a joint press conference with Kohli and Sharma where both deny any problems with each other, announce support for each other and lay to rest all these controversies, difficult much?

So? Any professional is entitled to take a break and its a welcome change in the Indian work culture. They might be traveling with family but they still playing cricket. Yes

Of course everyone is entitled to break, we aren't disputing the logic but timing of the break. WC was less than a week after IPL, yet none of the so called 'professionals' thought of taking a break for a couple of games during IPL even in cases when their teams were out of top 4 while a few games were left.

Kohli has a free run for good 4-5 years when he was the undisputed king of Indian cricket, from selection to toss decision to appointing coaches, everything was decided by one man. Kohli should remember how he threw out kumble unceremeniously to get shastri as coach. How he literally destroyed the career of a few good players like Kuldeep Yadav. How his decision making went unquestioned even at time of major losses. WC 19 semis and playing Bhuvi over shami when shami was the top wicket taker of India in wc even after playing 50% of games. His constant delusion of calling india the best team ever even after loosing series after series in eng, sa, nz. All of these things have been building against him in bcci, and all that was needed a little push. Bcci opposition to him started before T20 wc when chahal was dropped from the team for god knows what reason and Ashwin selected. Basically bcci telling him that u didn't play ashwin in England tests, we will now make u play him in t20 wc.

Last edited by a moderator:
As confusion continues to hover over Virat Kohli's decision to give the ODI series against South Africa a miss, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has reportedly asked the former all-format skipper to reconsider his decision. Kohli is scheduled to address media in a virtual press conference on Wednesday where he is expected to lift curtains on the matter and clear the rumours that have been floating on social media.

While the Indian board wants Kohli to play the limited-overs assignment against the Proteas, the final decision on the matter has been left in the hands of the 33-year-old batsman. Seeing the nature of rumours floating on social media, the board wants Kohli to put an end to the speculation on the matter.

"BCCI has asked Virat Kohli to reconsider his decision of not playing in ODI series vs SA ahead of his PC today. BCCI, while leaving the final decision to him, has asked Virat to put an end to this furore surrounding his participation," sources told Times Now.

Earlier, the BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal had told Times Now in an exclusive interaction that Kohli had informed the board of his willingness to skip the ODIs against South Africa even before the ODI captaincy responsibility was handed over to Rohit Sharma. Dhumal also quashed the rumours suggesting a possible rift between Kohli and Rohit that have been floating on social media.

“To my understanding, before any decision was taken with regards to captaincy, it was decided that he (Kohli) will be going (to South Africa) for the Test matches only, not for the ODIs. He was wanting it that way because he needed a break,” Dhumal said in the interaction.

Dhumal also asserted that Rohit is missing the Test series due to an injury and the ODI captaincy change has not turned his relationship with Kohli sour.

“Rohit Sharma is not playing because of a physio thing. It is a medical issue. This has nothing to do with friction; there is no friction (between Kohli and Rohit). Physios have ruled him out due to a hamstring injury. It’s not like he has taken a call,” Dhumal explained.

Since the entire limited-overs captaincy was handed over to Rohit, Kohli hasn't made a public comment on the matter. The press conference scheduled for today is a customary media briefing ahead of the Indian team's flight to South Africa for the 3-match Test series, which Kohli will be leading as the skipper.

As far as the press conference goes, there are a number of unanswered questions that will be in focus.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...di-series-against-south-africa-sources/840612

The affairs in Indian cricket seem to be in absolute mess at the moment. Reports of Virat Kohli wanting to give the ODI series against South Africa a miss left the fans scratching their heads on Tuesday. But, a senior Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official has now said that the talismanic batsman is available for selection. On the other hand, Rohit Sharma was said to be missing only the Test series against the Proteas, but now it seems like his return for the One-Day assignment against the Proteas isn't all clear.

Since the ODI captaincy change in Indian cricket, both Kohli and Rohit have been in the spotlight. The dramatic change in leadership brought in by the BCCI has made the current state of affairs in Indian cricket a little complex.

On Tuesday, a number of reports suggested that Kohli wanted to give the ODI series against South Africa a miss. Even the BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal confirmed the same, saying: “To my knowledge, even before any captaincy call was taken, Virat wanted to take a break from the SA ODIs”.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...-air-over-his-participation-in-sa-odis/840595

Kohli has a free run for good 4-5 years when he was the undisputed king of Indian cricket, from selection to toss decision to appointing coaches, everything was decided by one man. Kohli should remember how he threw out kumble unceremeniously to get shastri as coach. How he literally destroyed the career of a few good players like Kuldeep Yadav. How his decision making went unquestioned even at time of major losses. WC 19 semis and playing Bhuvi over shami when shami was the top wicket taker of India in wc even after playing 50% of games. His constant delusion of calling india the best team ever even after loosing series after series in eng, sa, nz. All of these things have been building against him in bcci, and all that was needed a little push. Bcci opposition to him started before T20 wc when chahal was dropped from the team for god knows what reason and Ashwin selected. Basically bcci telling him that u didn't play ashwin in England tests, we will now make u play him in t20 wc.

Whatever we are speculating here seems to be completely opposite to the realty :sarf
I am sure Ganguly knows better than us.

Sourav Ganguly said, "Virat Kohli wanted Ravi Ashwin in India's T20 World Cup squad. I wasn't sure whether he'll be part of White Ball team again, but he was superb in WT20". (On Backstage with Boria).

Wait.
Kohli's daughter's birthday is on 11th January.
Kohli is available for test series and third test will start from 11th January.

Seems like this "Kohli taking break due to daughter's birthday" is just a rumour created by some anti-kohli fan base.

Typical Bhaktas and some Mumbai Mafia should have verified date of birth before spreading rumours :inti

Typical Bhaktas and some Mumbai Mafia should have verified date of birth before spreading rumours :inti

Azhar also seemed to have fuelled this , his tweets without actually talking to BCCI were not in good taste . Guess he is left with no work apart from fixing and spreading rumours.

Results under Kohli's captaincy were not really a problem. A lot of good captains have not won the ICC CT.

Yes, but the other "good captains" do not have the players which Kohli had. He made really bad choices for CT2017 and Test WC 2021.

Back