VVS Laxman vs Inzamam-ul-Haq - Better Test batsman?

Fastbowler123

Debutant
Runs
Whose the better Test batsman between Laxman and Inzamam ? Both have often rescued there teams from pressure situations where defeat looked certain but who pips the other one as the best test Batsman ?

Inzamam is often hailed for his brilliant century against Bangladesh where he stood as the only man that helped his team avoid the biggest embarrassment of All-Times by securing a one wicket win , Inzamam has another special knock against Australia in karachi where he single-handedly snatched victory from the jaws of defeat by taking the team home from an impossible situation where 60 runs were needed with only 1 wicket in hand .

Laxman on the other hand played once in a lifetime knock against Australia in 2010 where he successfully chased a target with more than 90 runs to get with only 2 wickets remaining , a situation where all the other high profile star batsmen of the team were back in the pavilion leaving all the burden of expectations on shoulders of the Very Very Special Laxman. But Boy he didnt disappoint anyone .

Laxman also gets the credit for playing arguably the Best Test innings of All-Time when he scored 281 runs against the Number 1 Australian side while the Indian side was still following on , only the 3rd instance of a team winning after failing to avoid the follow-on , Laxman's historical knock ended the strong 16 Matches Winning streak of the invincible Australians , a knock which will be Remembered as the greatest ever in history books .

Besides many of such pressure knocks , Laxman and Inzamam played many important knocks against Top teams all across the world .

In a comparison of two Giants of identical stature there was only one difference between Inzamam and Laxman , there individual performances against the 2 Top teams of there era which was the litmus test for the Asian Batsman's capability of playing all around the world in all type of conditions against the best fast bowlers .

While Inzamam had an ordinary batting average in the most testing conditions of Aus-Sa , Laxman was virtually the Best Batsman ever of his era .

Inzamam averaged only 30 in Australia and overall only 31 while Laxman averages 54 in Australia and overall 55 in all the matches .

In SA , Laxman averages well over 40 with two single -handedly match winning knocks while Inzamam averages only 30 , once again a performance which is unacceptable for batsman of his capability .

With Little to choose between Laxman and Inzamam the only indicator of the better batsman can be there performances against the Best Sides of there area , while Inzy has been pretty ordinary against the best sides Laxman has been the best ever Batsman even leaving behind the likes of Lara as well Tendulkar as far as Match winning contributions are concerned .

My Vote goes to Laxman for being the better Batsman in the most testing conditions - because thats how a player is usually judged by looking at his performances against the best .

Last edited:
Laxman scored heavily against Australia and thats enough for me.....inzy sucked against the best teams ....

what about records in England? love how inzys record is england is always ignored?! like england is renowned for its flat pancake pitches and what not

there's nothing to laugh as such...very valid debate between two greats...

What valid debate ? Averages dont mean anything . Wheneva Inzy played Australia had great bowlers vvs scored his runs when bowlers were poor . if vvs played all his matches against warne / mc grath hsi average would have been 20 .

What valid debate ? Averages dont mean anything . Wheneva Inzy played Australia had great bowlers vvs scored his runs when bowlers were poor . if vvs played all his matches against warne / mc grath hsi average would have been 20 .

What are you on about, 281 ring a bell?

what about records in England? love how inzys record is england is always ignored?! like england is renowned for its flat pancake pitches and what not

Condition in England are good for the bowling but in the 90s , England was hardly a top team infact England had become bunnies of everyone .

Also England had no great fast bowlers in the 90s like Australians and S.Africans , barring one Ashes win in 2005 England were never a strong team until very recently .

Mulally , Salisbury , Cork , Brown , Caddick , Hoggard were hardly Great bowlers but only once in a series wonders .

Last edited:

what are you talking about??vvs never faced warne or mcgrath??? :rao

Surely you'd take Inzi being a Pakistani,and we'd take Laxman.... but that doesn't mean you can belittle a great player for the sake of doing it...and the scorecard surely ennhances vvs' reputation rather than tweaking..

Last edited:
Inzi was a few leagues ahead of VVS in the ODI arena ...

Inzi has a poor Test record vs Australia and SA;
Laxman has a poor Test record vs England and SA;

Inzi had a higher overall Test average at a better SR, I'd therefore give it to the Original Bhai Bhai :127:

Condition in England are good for the bowling but in the 90s , England was hardly a top team infact England had become bunnies of everyone .

Also England had no great fast bowlers in the 90s like Australians and S.Africans , barring one Ashes win in 2005 England were never a strong team until very recently .

Mulally , Salisbury , Cork , Brown , Caddick , Hoggard were hardly Great bowlers but only once in a series wonders .

Doesn't explain why Lax averaged 30 against them.

Laxman has also never made a hundred in England. I found that strange.

Last edited:
What are you on about, 281 ring a bell?

I was talking about knocks in australia against warne /mc grath . this knock was in kingdom of flat tracks that is India . Show me one century or match winning knock of laxman against warne/mc grath ( both playing ) in australia ?

laxman is the most over-rated batsman in the history of cricket who bashed ordinary bowlers whenever opportunity arised to make for his failures against best bowlers .

Last edited:
I was talking about knocks in australia against warne /mc grath . this knock was in kingdom of flat tracks that is India . Show me one century or match winning knock of laxman against warne/mc grath ( both playing ) in australia ?

laxman is the most over-rated batsman in the history of cricket who bashed ordinary bowlers whenever opportunity arised to make for his failures against best bowlers .

you talking about the same track where the mediocre maharaj harbhajan bundled out the mighty Aussies for a paltry 212???

Right so from your initial statement in regards to bowlers it has now changed to country played also?

If playing Australia was the only requirement than I would pick Laxman over most he has a brilliant record against the Aussies, Inzy was absolutely rubbish against Australia.

In ODIs there is no doubt. :inzi

But in tests i give equal marks to both. Laxman heavily scored against the best team of his era.
Seen many times , laxman use to score whenever we are in big trouble or he his in trouble. :D

Laxman's only defining characteristic seems to be his record vs Australia.

In Odis there is comparison , Inzi miles ahead

But comeon Laxman averages 25 runs more against Australia , the best side of the era .

Laxman will be the first batsman to be selected even before the likes of Lara and Sachin if a team has to be chosen to play against the Greatest Side of All time - Australia 99-2007 ..

Inzy however wont even be in top 20 Batsman .

Laxman wins over Inzamam in the tests , you cannot put forward the last innings wins rule because laxman also has played many such knocks.

Inzi averages a pathetic 31.40 and even at home against them which according to Hafeezrocks should be a breeze in the park he averages 32.33 with no centuries.

In Odis there is comparison , Inzi miles ahead

But comeon Laxman averages 25 runs more against Australia , the best side of the era .

Laxman will be the first batsman to be selected even before the likes of Lara and Sachin if a team has to be chosen to play against the Greatest Side of All time - Australia 99-2007 ..

Inzy however wont even be in top 20 Batsman .

Laxman wins over Inzamam in the tests , you cannot put forward the last innings wins rule because laxman also has played many such knocks.

Australia were not in my opinion the greatest of all time the Windies of old were, However they were an absolute monster team and second best ever IMO.

Stats never shows the full picture. I consider Inzy a far superior batsman to not only Laxman Babu but also to Tendulkar. Inzy was the real match winner batsman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inzi was weak against Australia, but seriously you're saying just because Laxman was fantastic against the Aussies he beats Inzi? Inzi was our talisman, nobody ever lost hope when he was still there. Laxman averages a very poor 30 v England who you yourself have pointed out had terrible bowlers.

I really couldnt understand why Inzy had such **** poor average vs SA and Aussies -.-

Lax has also failed to score hundreds in England, SA and Pakistan. Inzamam has scored hundreds everywhere except SA. Actually as I delve into the stats more Inzamam was way superior, he has 9 more hundreds despite a full 8 less Tests.

Ofcourse Inzamam is the superior batsman there is absolutely no denying it

Frankly its a useless comparison

Inzi overall is a much better batsman no doubt about that whatsoever, I think they are not that much apart in the test arena but in ODI's Inzi was one of the best ever.

Inzamam is a great...no denying the fact but understand that Laxman too has won many matches for India and he has been our crisis man for the last decade or so,..he may not have as many centuries because he often gets to bat with the tailenders...

How does Inzis less averaging against australia and laxmans gud average against australia make Laxman the best test bat overall? If you are going to exemplify only australian records then it means laxman was better against Australia and not pass the overall judgement in test cricket . Test cricket consists of many teams along with Australia, talk about England , Nz , Sa , Windies , Sri Lanka and Laxman is hardly a great test batsman leave alone being better than Inzi.

Legend against Australia but overall Inzi wins easily

I dont understand when people say inzy cant play fast bowlers, then how come he scores at the average of 46+ against west indies when they were prime with walsh, ambrose, benjamin and bishop

When Imran Khan says that he was a great batsmen against quickies, then there was a reason for sure

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 322

TESTS:
Laxman averages 44 in matches against Australia with :warne and McGrath, Inzi averages 31.40 against matches involving the 2.

ODIS: Same criteria

Laxman - 40.12
Inzi: 28.34

Happy Pwnage! :))

Lax has also failed to score hundreds in England, SA and Pakistan. Inzamam has scored hundreds everywhere except SA. Actually as I delve into the stats more Inzamam was way superior, he has 9 more hundreds despite a full 8 less Tests.

That says it all. No doubt Inzi have many more matches than Laxman did for india in test matches. You can ask any indian player who is greater batsman Inzi or Laxman, and they will all say Inzi.

Another comparison thread?

Inzi is better. Laxman is brutal against the Aussies though.

Inzy > Laxman. No debate about this.

PS: Comparison isn't fair as well because Inzy played at no.4/5 and Laxman plays at no.6 mostly with tail.

No comparison! :)))

Inzy ultimate match winner, a more or less complete batsman Won countless games on his own and scored 25 test centuries

Laxmans good for a 50 here n there and only scores runs against aussies

just 28 posts and started putting rubbish?

Inzy > Laxman. No debate about this.

PS: Comparison isn't fair as well because Inzy played at no.4/5 and Laxman plays at no.6 mostly with tail.

Inzi actually himself played with a tail a lot. You know our batting don't you.

That knock against Bangladesh was with the tail and what a knock that was. Any one got a scorecard?

No comparison! :)))

Inzy ultimate match winner, a more or less complete batsman Won countless games on his own and scored 25 test centuries

Laxmans good for a 50 here n there and only scores runs against aussies

Countless Games on his own:)))

Like which against mighty Bangladesh?:))

How many among those countless wins by your beloved Ultimate match winner have come against Australians ?

Regarding your point of Laxman scoring only an odd 50 here and there , let me tell you those 50s are more valuable than runs Inzy has been scoring against Kuruvilla , Mohanty , Balaji , Nehra , Salisbury , Cork , Caddick , Mullaly type of rubbish bowlers .

His odd 50 + plus scores of 79 at Perth and 73 at Mohali are more valuable than 300 runs scored by Inzy against Mighty bowling attack of Tuffey , Martin , Vettori and Chris Harris .

I think Inzimam was technically more sound batsman. A way better ODI batsman. Although Inzi did not have a innings like 281 or 167, he was great in tests too. But his bad record against two best sides of the era does not help his case...

Inzi was way better ODI batsman..and in tests Laxman is slightly ahead. Laxman won us so many tests single handedly at lost positions against great sides...it is hard to ignore.

In this comparison, lets not undermine both these amazing players but just discuss and compare their cricketing achievements.

How many among those countless wins by your beloved Ultimate match winner have come against Australians ?

Regarding your point of Laxman scoring only an odd 50 here and there , let me tell you those 50s are more valuable than runs Inzy has been scoring against Kuruvilla , Mohanty , Balaji , Nehra , Salisbury , Cork , Caddick , Mullaly type of rubbish bowlers .

His odd 50 + plus scores of 79 at Perth and 73 at Mohali are more valuable than 300 runs scored by Inzy against Mighty bowling attack of Tuffey , Martin , Vettori and Chris Harris .

True. Laxman has played innumerable important knocks for us in crunch situations...

Laxman is a clutch player, Inzi was also a clutch player. This is where they can be compared.

Looks like OP has caught the Indian disease though, sadly.

If laxman was so good he wouldnt have looked like a startled rabbit this summer :))) :)))

Inzys got 25 test match 100s and 17 of them were in test wins - inzy has more 100s in wins that the total test 100s laxmans scored in his 130 tests :)))

Last edited:
just 28 posts and started putting rubbish?

And What about your countrymen making hilarious threads like these ? Its a crime to even mention vvs in a sentence along with Legend Inzamam . Inzamam always won matches on his own against all teams unlike vvs a chips n bits player who shines only once in a bluemoon like once in 4 years against australia .

Has Laxman ever scored a 300? Enuf Said .

Inzy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Laxman . We all saw how laxman on the recent tour of england was dancing like a lizard whose tail has been cut .

Inzy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Laxman . We all saw how laxman on the recent tour of england was dancing like a lizard whose tail has been cut .

Can we stick to some sensible cricket related discussion instead of name calling two great cricket players. In an attempt to prove Inzi is better, name calling/insulting laxman is absolutely unnecessary unless you are a cricket illiterate insecure teen who is probably trying to feel like he won a internet argument to feel good about yourself.

Last edited:
Laxman is a clutch player, Inzi was also a clutch player. This is where they can be compared.

Looks like OP has caught the Indian disease though, sadly.

What the hell is wrong, what a crap thread. Laxman is not even half a batsman than what Inzy was. FULL STOP. TOPIC CLOSED.

And What about your countrymen making hilarious threads like these ? Its a crime to even mention vvs in a sentence along with Legend Inzamam . Inzamam always won matches on his own against all teams unlike vvs a chips n bits player who shines only once in a bluemoon like once in 4 years against australia .

you didn't get it.

Why i told your post rubbish? Not because you didn't support laxman.

The reason is, you put wrong evidence on your post. This is call falsification. You shouldn't try this here as cricinfo has records of matches and anyone can spot your attempt.

Arguement is always welcome. But distorting facts (like laxman didn't face Mcgrath or warne) is sheer pathetic. A good poster doesn't distort facts.

Can we stick to some sensible cricket related discussion instead of name calling two great cricket players. In an attempt to prove Inzi is better, name calling/insulting laxman is absolutely unnecessary unless you are a cricket illiterate insecure teen who is probably trying to feel like he won a internet argument to feel good about yourself.

don't miss the gem in post #7. ;-)

What the hell is wrong, what a crap thread. Laxman is not even half a batsman than what Inzy was. FULL STOP. TOPIC CLOSED.

see.... Thread is still open. :p

LOL Superman couldn't even close a thread in a forum. Why you call yourself superman? :D

ROFL, Laxman??seriously?? The guy can't play an inswinging ball and you are comparing him to Inzimam,one of the greatest match winners ever. Inzimam invoked faith and confidence when he used to be at the crease and we always used to be hopefull of a Pakistan win. Laxman?well ask that from Asif & Anderson:sadaf

I bet teams take Thilan Samarweera more seriously than Laxman.

ROFL, Laxman??seriously?? The guy can't play an inswinging ball and you are comparing him to Inzimam,one of the greatest match winners ever. Inzimam invoked faith and confidence when he used to be at the crease and we always used to be hopefull of a Pakistan win. Laxman?well ask that from Asif & Anderson:sadaf

In any desi forums insulting is inevitable when comparing the entities.. be it players or teams or places . :asif

You all can discuss this for a year if you like....
You all deep inside know that Inzi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Laxman.
Inzimam > Laxman ukhar lo ju ukharna hai lols....

INZI >>> Laxman
INZI >>> Gnaguly
INZI >>> Sehwag
INZI >>> Yuvraj
INZI >>> Dravid

End of Story....

Yes Laxman couldnt play inswinging ball in England just like Inzamam couldnt play the high bounce fast bowling in Aus/Sa .

Atleast Laxman will have respect from the Greatest Team of his era unlike Inzamam though .

I totally Agree with you :)

INZI >>>>>> LAXMAN

INZI >>> Laxman
INZI >>> Gnaguly
INZI >>> Sehwag
INZI >>> Yuvraj
INZI >>> Dravid

End of Story....

INZI >>> Ponting
INZI >>> KP
INZI >>> Hussey
INZI >>> Lara
INZI >>> Viv
INZI >>> Bradman

Now End of Story :facepalm:

You are so right.. It proves that INZI >>>> LAXMAN

INZI >>> Ponting
INZI >>> KP
INZI >>> Hussey
INZI >>> Lara
INZI >>> Viv
INZI >>> Bradman

Not these batsmen only the one I mentioned :) I think you need glasses you can't read the names that I wrote lols....

I would like to mention it again since you can't read well

INZI >>>>>>>> Laxman

The gap between the two is nowhere near what many biased souls above have suggested.

Has Laxman ever scored a 300? Enuf Said.

I have to single this out as a particularly weak and unconvincing comment, in a thread full of weak and unconvincing comments. Laxman's 281 is universally and correctly rated ahead of any innings Inzamam played.

I'd have Laxman against the Aussies home or away, but probably Inzy in the other games.

Not these batsmen only the one I mentioned :) I think you need glasses you can't read the names that I wrote lols....

I would like to mention it again since you can't read well

INZI >>>>>>>> Laxman

bablu sounds indian nick name though.... Are ya indian? ;-)

INZI >>> Ponting
INZI >>> KP
INZI >>> Hussey
INZI >>> Lara
INZI >>> Viv
INZI >>> Bradman

lots of teen emo punk these days.... Quantity yes, quality no.

Missing N_Hs, Monsee, w63...'s post in all these. That's what you call a debate to argue. :D

Now, these posts are just feel happy and go type. :D

Missing N_Hs, Monsee, w63...'s post in all these. That's what you call a debate to argue. :D

seriously!!no matter in the posts except using big fonts...lol

i am on pakpassion too but i am indian.

What kind of logic was that? :facepalm:

If you are talking about logic then logic says that there must not be such stupid discussions. Because logic says that laxman is nowhere near to Inzy.

Seriously!!!!! Insanaley stupid posts so far for what is a very valid and close comparison unlike quite a few comparisons that happen here

A lot more fair to Inzi now that he is being compared to a comparab;e player :sachin

Hmmm :13: , Inzi overall a better player but if it's against Aussies you will take Laxman without even thinking :D

Back