Warm up game: Pakistan -vs- Sri Lanka Cricket XI

Last Bat Mohammad Yousuf c Thirimanne b Pushpakumara 14 (20b 0x4 0x6) SR: 70.00

Fall of wicket: 238/5 (52.1 ov); Partnership: 0 runs, 0.4 overs, RR: 0.00

Yousuf gone too, pity as the middle order won't get another chance. Will Bhanja or Alam be given a test cap? I doubt it.

Anyway, let's hope Fawad goes on to crack a century and Bhanja gets out very soon.

Waisay, what a chance this is for Alam. Score some big runs here and they'll have to take notice.

Pak_mystery said:
How are our batsmen going to survive M&M?

Thay are playing their shots thats why getting out.Dont think that they will be that reckless against M&M.

Pak_mystery said:
How are our batsmen going to survive M&M?

According to Ejaz Ahmed, none of the Pak batsmen can handle the spin with the exception of Younis.

I think they are not as bad as described by Ejaz, but there will be a bit of struggle.

relax guys ... its just a warm up ... doesn't matter we win lose draw the idea is to get used to conditions.... for our players to get some practice and for our batsmen to get some time in the middle

Sheikh said:
Yousuf gone too, pity as the middle order won't get another chance. Will Bhanja or Alam be given a test cap? I doubt it.

Anyway, let's hope Fawad goes on to crack a century and Bhanja gets out very soon.

Waisay, what a chance this is for Alam. Score some big runs here and they'll have to take notice.

trust me they won't take notice he is scoring big runs for 2 years now.

SheerIndianpace said:
According to Ejaz Ahmed, none of the Pak batsmen can handle the spin with the exception of Younis.

I think they are not as bad as described by Ejaz, but there will be a bit of struggle.

and where did you hear this?

SheerIndianpace said:

I think Pakistani batsmen can handle M&M better than any batting line up in the world as was shown in the earlier Test series in Pakistan and during the T20 WC.

Mian Hassan said:
True, but this would be his first shot at scoring runs on a national tour, albeit in a practice game. That should hold greater weight.

Mian Hassan said:

If they wanted him to excel then he wouldn't have been sent on 7 slot.
Comming at n0 7 is difficult to pile up runs as u run out of batsmen.

Even if he scores a century, i think Younis would still prefer Malik/Misbah over Alam.

Afridi_Fan said:
I think Pakistani batsmen can handle M&M better than any batting line up in the world as was shown in the earlier Test series in Pakistan and during the T20 WC.

Certainly of the teams to have played the M&M combo, Pakistan have been the best at combating them.

Fawad Alam outperforms Misbah and Yousuf in batting
Fawad Alam outperforms Kaneria and Ajmal in bowling

what excuses will they find to leave him out of team now?

LoL Alam takes single on the last ball, again retains the strike.

Bhanja hogging all the strike.

Why is Malik not playing?

Alam can play spin very well and can score at a reasonably good pace.. He should not be left out of the final XI..

Pak_mystery said:
Alam can play spin very well and can score at a reasonably good pace.. He should not be left out of the final XI..

you are spot on.....

Mian Hassan said:
you are spot on.....

but i think......... tommorow morning Younis will declare quickly

before fawad alam scores a century and then he will have a problem who to play and who not...

Sri Lanka Cricket XI 345/5d

Pakistanis 301/5 (72.0 ov)

Pakistanis trail by 44 runs with 5 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Stumps - Day 2

Hi Guys, My first note on PP,

Bhangha trying for a spot in the Main Team but not getting out.

Ali888 said:
Fawad Alam outperforms Misbah and Yousuf in batting
Fawad Alam outperforms Kaneria and Ajmal in bowling

what excuses will they find to leave him out of team now?
They will say fawad is an all rounder and they can not afford to play too many all rounders in the team. ;-)
Never underestimate team managment.
I hope fawad will get his chance this time around.

And that's day 2.

Let's hope Alam goes on to make tons and they select him for the final 11.

Good comeback there with Alam contributing a nice 40-odd. Really hope he makes it a big one tomorrow.

Pity Bhanja's still batting.

Afridi_Fan said:
Fawad Alam 6 2 17 1 2.83
well to me this is great bowling,he can easily be our 3rd spinner in tests.. Ajmal. Afridi and Alam .. "The AAA" ... Lol

He isnt a great turner of the ball but i think hes one of those type of bowler who'll keep coming at you and will eventualy pick up couple a wickets..

They played as if it was T20, lolz just jokin u have to play dat way in a 3 day game indeed they played positive which is good, I think they shud declare now

ohhh in missed most of the action..............damn loadshedding kept for around 3 hours :( , bad days are coming back.Good to see our team in a good position here although our middle order didnt fire but alam sure did :D

so Butt sahab reaffrims his opening seat. This is pathetic. Now we have to deal with him for next 5-10 matches.

I was just hoping and praying that he fails big time in whole series.

:) Khair ab kiya ho sakta hai.......BUTT tou KHAILAI ga........

GOOD!!! Khurram scored 83 and Fawad still batting on 40!!! Lets see what the playing XI will be in the first test! I dont think they'll give a chance to Fawad..However, lets see if they give a chance to Khurram Manzoor..They were thinking of opening with Butt and Malik..But that was BEFORE Khurram scored 83!

Go alam! He can safely cruise at a run a ball, and can turn it up with the ground-strokes if necessary. Fa$$h0le Iqbal simply doesn't have the talent to keep up with alam's SR.

It's funny because usually in a situation like this the "batsman" will score while the "all-rounder" defends, but alam is a far superior batsman and this is going to become more and more obvious the more these two spend time out there.

can someone plz give me scores of all the batsmen as I am having problems with cricinfo scorecard page.

Relax guys this is just a warm-up. The real test starts when facing the two Ms, Murali and Medis in their Den.

Umta said:
Relax guys this is just a warm-up. The real test starts when facing the two Ms, Murali and Medis in their Den.

right, but unfortunately when it's a real test alam never gets an opportunity, so I only have these performances to get excited for him

Really happy with Butt, Khurram, and Fawad's effort.

The latter two should most definitely be in the test squad XI.

I have a feeling YK will give Alam a chance if the batting at most twice without him

hmmm what to do now though .... Razzaq and Akmal haven't batted yet and Razzaq in particular needs time in the middle ...and obviously im sure YK will want our bowlers to get some more overs under their belt ... Iqbal and Alam should both go for their shots tomorrow...one or both should eventually retire if they reach fifty to let Akmal and Razzaq have a bat and then if we are not out by tea then YK should declare and have Pakistan be in the field for the final session of the last day.

From Cricinfo after Day 2:

Day 2 Pakistanis 301 for 5 (Manzoor 83, Butt 82, Pushpakumara 3-83) trail SLC XI 354 for 5 dec (Kapugedera 115) by 44 runs

Pakistan got some valuable batting practice on the second day of their practice game against Sri Lanka Cricket XI, with openers Khurram Manzoor and Salman Butt both scoring half-centuries. Three wickets towards the end of day's play pegged the tourists back, as the Pakistan middle order failed to drive home the advantage after a great start.

SLC XI started the day at 278 for 3, and added 67 to their overnight total to declare on 345 for 5. Chamara Kapugedera, batting on 90 at the close of the first day, reached his century before he retired on 115.

There was not much reward for the Pakistani bowlers. The medium-pacer Abdur Rauf picked up two wickets while spinners Danish Kaneria and Fawad Alam finished with one each.

In reply, Pakistan were well served by their openers who put on 153 for the first wicket. Though they both fell in the 80s, Manzoor and Butt found fine form before the start of the Test series. The pair scored at a healthy strike-rate in preparation for the more important matches to come.

Pakistan were comfortably placed at 207 for 1 at one stage, before offspinner Muthumudalige Pushpakumara triggered a mini-collapse, reducing the tourists to 238 for 5. Fawad Alam and Faisal Iqbal prevented further damage, as they added 63 runs for the sixth wicket to remain unbeaten at the end of day's play.

Earlier, Pakistan's middle order failed to make this outing count, as Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq and Mohammad Yousuf could not make an impression. This was a comeback game for Yousuf, his first match for Pakistan after his stint with the ICL.

Osman said:
hmmm what to do now though .... Razzaq and Akmal haven't batted yet and Razzaq in particular needs time in the middle ...and obviously im sure YK will want our bowlers to get some more overs under their belt ... Iqbal and Alam should both go for their shots tomorrow...one or both should eventually retire if they reach fifty to let Akmal and Razzaq have a bat and then if we are not out by tea then YK should declare and have Pakistan be in the field for the final session of the last day.
yep they should atleast bat till after lunch and shouldnt just colapse..

more importantly

is Yousuf past it? he is quite old now and has not played any decent first class cricket recently, indeed in his last outing he got bowled by Shahzaib Hasan !

i know the apologists will say 'form is temporary, class is permanent' but by that token we should play zaheer abbas or javed miandad !

Yousuf may not get found out by Sri Lanka as they have no decent pace bowler and the pitches will be flat but come the Australia series he will be totally out of his depth against Lee, Johnson, Clark, Siddle etc on pacy bouncy Aussie pitches

Last edited:
Ali888 said:
more importantly

is Yousuf past it? he is quite old now and has not played any decent first class cricket recently, indeed in his last outing he got bowled by Shahzaib Hasan !

i know the apologists will say 'form is temporary, class is permanent' but by that token we should play zaheer abbas or javed miandad !

Talk some sense will you.

Ali888 said:
more importantly

Yousuf may not get found out by Sri Lanka as they have no decent pace bowler and the pitches will be flat but come the Australia series he will be totally out of his depth against Lee, Johnson, Clark, Siddle etc on pacy bouncy Aussie pitches

Aren't you the same guy that said I was talking BS when I said Abdul Razzaq should be selected for the T20 WC and you said it was not allowed yet it still happened because it's against ICC rules even though everyone was reporting it wasn't. You're also the same guy that said Shazaib is better than Yousuf before even seeing how he plays.

hmmm Interesting to hear these comments from you. It's pretty fitting actually.

Last edited:
salman24 said:
Aren't you the same guy that said I was talking BS when I said Abdul Razzaq should be selected for the T20 WC and you said it was not allowed yet it still happened because it's against ICC rules even though everyone was reporting it wasn't. You're also the same guy that said Shazaib is better than Yousuf before even seeing how he plays.

hmmm Interesting to hear these comments from you. It's pretty fitting actually.
Excellent.

I hope Bhanja gets out the first ball he faces tomorrow and Alam goes onto make 70+.

Really good to see the openers doing well and Fawad Alam in particular who's been waiting patiently for his turn for sometime and a good score from him should be enough for him to be given a test debut come the 1st test! InshahAllah

Anyone care to hazard a guess at Mohammad Yousuf's first class average in 2009?

Here are his last few List A or First Class performances

5, 21, 25, 14 (scorecards below)

An average of 16

At the moment the guy is living on reputation from 2006 season which at his age is not good enough for him to be in the team.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/213/213964.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/213/213947.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/213/213974.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/slvpak2009/engine/current/match/403365.html

Prior to that the last time he turned out for Pakistan in the 2008 Asia Cup his scores were also pretty poor 19,21,30.

Last edited:
Ali888 said:
Anyone care to hazard a guess at Mohammad Yousuf's first class average in 2009?

Here are his last few List A or First Class performances

5, 21, 25, 14 (scorecards below)

An average of 16

At the moment the guy is living on reputation from 2006 season which at his age is not good enough for him to be in the team.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/213/213964.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/213/213947.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/213/213974.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/slvpak2009/engine/current/match/403365.html

Prior to that the last time he turned out for Pakistan in the Asia Cup his scores were also pretty poor 19,21,30.

He also doesnt have the best record against sri lanka

Maybe he should sit out for a while till he makes some runs

Razzaq was recently struggling with this match fitness in the worldcup. Though, he took some wickets but you cant compare twenty 20 with a test match. I dont think Razzaq should be in this team. Pakistan should go for an extra batsman.

Back