Warm up game: Pakistan -vs- Sri Lanka Cricket XI

anakwalajinn

ODI Debutant
Runs
So, this game starts tomorrow :)
A 3-day game and I am hoping to see a couple of new faces out there, lets hope Fawad Alam, Abdur Rauf & Ajmal gets a chance to shine ;)
I would also put Faisal Iqbal there :)
But I guess they will all play though. So who knows the rules about these 3 day warm up games? What are you XIs and predictions? :D
Weather predictions are rain, but I do not think it will rain that much. Match start 04:30 GMT and it is being played at Colombo! :D

:ahmeds :qadir :ahmeds :qadir :butt

I heard younis say on ary news the team that plays tomorrow will also start the first test but you never know.

fawad should make his debut in the first test and should be given a warm up game, as for rauf and faisal, we should just stick to the players who we are going to play with in first test, afterall its a warm up.

salman butt
khurram
younis
yousuf
misbah
shoaib Malik
kamran akmal
Abdul Razzaq
gul
ajmal
aamer

so fawad is unlikely with this probable line up but can get a place if we play akmal as an oppener.

Free Hit said:
fawad should make his debut in the first test and should be given a warm up game, as for rauf and faisal, we should just stick to the players who we are going to play with in first test, afterall its a warm up.

salman butt
khurram
younis
yousuf
misbah
shoaib Malik
kamran akmal
Abdul Razzaq
gul
ajmal
aamer

so fawad is unlikely with this probable line up but can get a place if we play akmal as an oppener.

Kaneria is still our main test bowler just depends whether ajmal plays as a second spinner or malik.

pak4life said:
Kaneria is still our main test bowler just depends whether ajmal plays as a second spinner or malik.

it does not matter who is your main bowler when the main bowler dont peform up to mark, look at england panesar dont perform well so young rashid has more chance than him to play in the ashes tests and even swann, so am sure we can compare swann wih ajmal

kaneria should not be in the team he is not performing well in last 2 or 3 test series

My guess:

Salman Butt
Khurram Manzoor
Younus Khan
M Yousuf
Misbah ul Haq
Shoaib Malik
Kamran Akmal
Umar Gul
M Aamer
Saeed Ajmal
Danish Kaneria

Best Fit Team for this game

Salman Butt
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Misbah-Ul-Haq
Kamran Akmal
Abdur Razzaq
Umer Gul
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Aamer
Saeed Ajmal

zafarsyed said:

Salman Butt
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Misbah-Ul-Haq
Kamran Akmal
Abdur Razzaq
Umer Gul
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Aamer
Saeed Ajmal

no Khurram Manzoor? :(

For the strongest 'individual' line-up, Malik should play as opener, allowing Ajmal and Kaneria to play.

For greater balance it would be Khurram and Butt to open, middle order should be quite strong with 5 batsmen + Razzaq. Then Kaneria, Gul and Aamer making up the tail.

Bowling wise that line-up would be quite weak, only 2 genuine pace bowlers in Gul and Aamer, medium pace with Razzaq and spin with Kaneria and Malik as back-up.

zafarsyed said:

Salman Butt
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Misbah-Ul-Haq
Kamran Akmal
Abdur Razzaq
Umer Gul
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Aamer
Saeed Ajmal

Totally agree man,this should be the line up Abdul razzaq should b 5th option as a bowler not 4th, he never been so effective in his test career as a bowler

zafarsyed said:

Salman Butt
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Misbah-Ul-Haq
Kamran Akmal
Abdur Razzaq
Umer Gul
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Aamer
Saeed Ajmal
Agreed. Strongest side.

dblock said:
For the strongest 'individual' line-up, Malik should play as opener, allowing Ajmal and Kaneria to play.

For greater balance it would be Khurram and Butt to open, middle order should be quite strong with 5 batsmen + Razzaq. Then Kaneria, Gul and Aamer making up the tail.

Bowling wise that line-up would be quite weak, only 2 genuine pace bowlers in Gul and Aamer, medium pace with Razzaq and spin with Kaneria and Malik as back-up.

Yes I think to have 3 fast bolwers and keep Ajmal in Manzoor will be left out.

Malik will have to play as an opener to keep his spot. YK kind of eluded to it out in the recent interview that is posted on PP

iafzal said:
Yes I think to have 3 fast bolwers and keep Ajmal in Manzoor will be left out.

Malik will have to play as an opener to keep his spot. YK kind of eluded to it out in the recent interview that is posted on PP

Which interview, what interview!!! i want to hear what younus thinks of the tour to sl.

is this warm up match being televised?

zafarsyed said:

Salman Butt
Shoaib Malik
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Misbah-Ul-Haq
Kamran Akmal
Abdur Razzaq
Umer Gul
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Aamer
Saeed Ajmal

yeah this side will play first test! they do not want to drop malik so they will use him as a opner! poor khurram sorry for you!!

How long away is the match guys ?/ I seriously hope PAK beat the living day lights of Sri Lanka!!!!!!!!!!!!... COME ON BOYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Well i want this series to be a close one since i do like the sri-lankan team much.But i will wish to see Sangakkara under pressure and admit that pakistan is the better team..................he didnt praise pak in final..........

mmkextreme_1 said:
Is cricinfo going to update the score regularly for this match?

It should be on right now, but my calculations might be wrong :13:

It says 10 local. Where's the scorecard?

Younis Khan*, Salman Butt, Khurram Manzoor, Mohammad Yousuf, Kamran Akmal†, Misbah-ul-Haq, Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Aamer, Danish Kaneria, Abdul Razzaq, Abdur Rauf, Faisal Iqbal, Fawad Alam

no malik n umar gul

Last edited:
Last Bat NT Paranavitana c †Kamran Akmal b Abdur Rauf 6 (19b 0x4 0x6) SR: 31.57

Fall of wicket: 27/1 (7.3 ov); Partnership: 27 runs, 7.3 overs, RR: 3.60

can anyone confirm if YK is actually bowling? or is cricinfo making a mistake?

I am not sure sure why we are using Razzaq in SL. Last time i checked, SL wickets are still favorable to spinners. I think with Aamir and Gul we have two bowlers who can use the new ball. I dont think it will be the quickies who will win the game for us in SL.

^^

THe last time it was quickies who won us the series Asif to be more specific, medium pace is the key

What bugs me, is that if Shoaib Malik and Umar Gul are going to be in the paying 11 for the first test match, why are they not PLAYING IN THIS MATCH.

Osman said:
no Malik in the playing 13 today i noticed??
No Gul as well.

Quite strange.

Lankan Total (1 wicket; 20 overs) 76 (3.80 runs per over)

Ali888 said:
wow Danish took a wicket BEFORE conceding 100 runs !

:))

The fact that MoYo caught his wicket means that it was probably caught somewhere in the deep, most likely a bad shot by the batsman

siccric said:
:))

The fact that MoYo caught his wicket means that it was probably caught somewhere in the deep, most likely a bad shot by the batsman

Sometimes i feel the batter just feels so sorry for Kaneria for bowling those unlimited overs and just gifts him his wicket out of pity.

They will leave out Khurram Manzoor in the first test most probably.. I feel sorry for him..He played well in his previous test match.

Plasma said:
No Gul as well.

Quite strange.

Lankan Total (1 wicket; 20 overs) 76 (3.80 runs per over)
probably because he's gonna be in the final XI anyway and malik would also play so they probably going to see between alam and faisal who performs better and he'll be in..and also to see how ajmal and rauf perform... They have to drop 4guys to accomadate gul and malik.. And those 4 would probably be rauf, ajmal,iqbal and manzoor...

200-2 after 53 overs.

Bowling figures so far.

Bowling O M R W Econ
Mohammad Aamer 6.3 1 22 0 3.38
Abdur Rauf 9 0 38 1 4.22 (6nb)
Abdul Razzaq 5 0 14 0 2.80 (1w)
Younis Khan 4 0 17 0 4.25
Danish Kaneria 14 2 57 1 4.07 (1nb)
Saeed Ajmal 15 3 51 0 3.40

6 no balls for Abdur Rauf. Hope it won't be a problem in the test matches.

Last edited:
Not a very inspiring effort from our bowlers. On these flat decks you need someone who can force wickets, someone who can blast the batters out. Asif in 2006 was an exception because of the talented bowler he is.

We desperately need asif back in the tests. Hope they give aamer a good run and fawad can get in too.

Seems a flat wicket. Aamer, Rauf, and Ajmal have done alright without being too penetrative. Good work out for them though.

Not sure about Razzaq and Kaneria. I don't think either especially deserve a test cap at the moment.

266-2

Il be happy if we manage to draw this series.

Seems like a flat wicket so going to be tough for the bowlers

The bowling lineup in this match isnt going to do much - Aamer aside its fairly toothless tho Gul returning should help.

Kaneria is such a pathetic bowler. I mean he cant use the excuse of flat wickets, i mean even Warne, Kumble had other tricks up their sleeves, they didnt always relly on the pitch alone, they atleast could use their brain and set a batsman up.

He cant do anything on any wicket any more Kaneria. Even in the 2007 series at home against SA, Abdur Rehman was a much more threatening bowler. One thing is clear, to rely on Kaneria as the main strike bowler is bordering on committing suicide.

Agar practise mein ye hall hai tu, test mein kia ho ga.Ab tu Lala bhi nahi hu ga.

Jokes aparat, we played just like that before T20 World Cup in the practise games. So I am not that bothered with this display. Hope we can fire when it really matters.

P.S This is my 1st message from N97 and I am loving it. :D

haha this is a warm up match............relax give the guys time

Also in a warm up match for bolwers its important not to give away al their tricks especially spinners!

remeber the T20 warm up matches!

Kaneria cannot be excused. How long will this guy get away with such poor performances?

Kaneria has had way too many chances - the guy bowls without using his brain, its just so monotonous - i could do a better job than him

disappointed with Kaneria
I guess the statistics say Ajmal has bowled pretty well- can't be too sure from just the scorecard though. Our pacers, excluding Razzaq haven't been too sloppy either. I don't want Razzaq to play in our test team, he's just not good enough anymore

you guys need to chill out, its only a warm up remember the t20? its more of a practise match rather than looking for the win, when the proper match comes ull see improvement

siccric said:
disappointed with Kaneria
I guess the statistics say Ajmal has bowled pretty well- can't be too sure from just the scorecard though. Our pacers, excluding Razzaq haven't been too sloppy either. I don't want Razzaq to play in our test team, he's just not good enough anymore
kaneria got 1 wicket and ajmal got 0 wickets. how can u say ajmal has bowled pretty well but kaneria hasnt?

kaneria has been expensive but in tests getting wickets is more important than keeping runs down

Yeah, it's clearly being played on a really flat pitch. Yeah, that can't be an excuse but also, we've left out our leading pacer Umar Gul here. stay cool, everyone, it's just a warm up . We'll do well when the real matches come along

naqlipathan said:
kaneria got 1 wicket and ajmal got 0 wickets. how can u say ajmal has bowled pretty well but kaneria hasnt?

kaneria has been expensive but in tests getting wickets is more important than keeping runs down

I'm just basing it on the scorecard, but Kaneria's wicket seems lucky to me since MoYo caught it. Moyo always fields in the deep since he's quite a pathetic fielder

Ajmal had the second lowest economy in the innings after Aamer. Whilst that is not what we should judge test bowlers from , the way I see it, Ajmal must have caused more problems for the batsmen and made it more difficult for them to score off them

No way to tell if any catches were put off either of the two bowlers.

Fawad Alam bowled fewer , more economical overs than Kaneria but that doesn't mean Kaneria bowled worse than Fawad, does it? Both of them picked up a wicket

naqlipathan said:

Yep but getting 5 wickets for 250 runs is not a world class performance. Kaneria was told many times by his previous captains that a 5 wicket haul is only commendable if achieved under 120 runs atleast.

Savak said:
Yep but getting 5 wickets for 250 runs is not a world class performance. Kaneria was told many times by his previous captains that a 5 wicket haul is only commendable if achieved under 120 runs atleast.
what u and siccric are saying is right, but the way i see it, if kaneria is getting more wickets than someone like ajmal, then he has to be the best spinner in pakistan. ajmal is a pretty good bowler so someone who can get more wickets than him, has to play.

this is not to say that kaneria will definitely get more wickets- that 1 wicket may have come off a bad shot or it may have been a fluke

Kaneria will never appear in my final elevan any day. he is just waste of a spot, any bowlers (regular or part time like Clark) can get 5 wickets for 200+ runs on any day, so I will be happy to see him play if he gets a 5 wicket haul for less than 100

Decent start, got some overs under our belt. Lankans scored a bit too quickly for my liking but that wicket in the end was a bonus.

Couple of wickets in the morning and all of a sudden we're on top and the wrist-slitting will be forced to subside.

guys relax lol ... its just a warm up ... although warm up or not Kaneria is a truly awful bowler and shouldn't be selected

Afridi_Fan said:
Agar practise mein ye hall hai tu, test mein kia ho ga.Ab tu Lala bhi nahi hu ga.

Jokes aparat, we played just like that before T20 World Cup in the practise games. So I am not that bothered with this display. Hope we can fire when it really matters.

P.S This is my 1st message from N97 and I am loving it. :D

Lols. When I got my 5800 XpressMusic I also enjoyed that in the beginning but you'll get bored after some time.

Tbh honest guys, who cares. These games are just to get some overs/batting under your belt it makes no difference if we thrash them or if we draw this game.

How many times have we seen Pakistan thrash the opposition in the practise games and then completely falter when it come to the real thing?!
Just relax.

Honestly speaking slightly dissapointed with Aamer I thought he he wil get a decent reverse swing going later in the innings but it doesnt seems to.

muhammad saad said:
Honestly speaking slightly dissapointed with Aamer I thought he he wil get a decent reverse swing going later in the innings but it doesnt seems to.
Did you watch him bowl?

I dont really care about warm up games, but look at kaneria. The guy is going at over 4.5 runs and over in a test. And he is supposed to be our main spinner.

Hopeless. I am sure there are are better spinners going around in pakistan

Sheikh said:
Did you watch him bowl?

Ofcourse if he gets it going then he must have taken wickets if not then atleast have bowled more but both of these cases didnt happened.

Back