West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

Good pace in the pitch, variable bounce, bit of seam movement and quite a lot of swing . Windies have planned poorly here. Not enough short stuff from around the wicket to burns and not enough fullish deliveries to Denly. Australia would have had them 3 down already in such conditions.

Yes it had variable bounce but not to much bounce and defo wasnt alot of swing on offer

Looks like this is a much tougher English side - two batsmen grinding out 17 overs @2/over under this condition is praise worthy. Some of the recent past teams could have easily ended the day at 44/3.

England struggled quite a bit.

I still think England shouldn't lose a single game against this West Indies side.

Alzarri and Holder generated enough swing with the ball. Gabriel doesn't swing the ball much usually.

That's normal or below the average swing in english conditions holder bowled few that swung but overall thier wasnt much in the wicket barring the up and down wicket

This pitch is definitely seam friendly. Add the variable bounce and it is more of a south african pitch like the wanderers than an English one.

Good bouncer. Joseph needs to bowl better than he did yesterday.

ENG 41/1 (19.5) CRR: 2.07
Day 2: 1st Session - England opt to bat

Please get some of these ugly batsmen out before I develop eye cancer

Another wicket where Gabriel's got one to nip back.

Tough examination coming up for Zak Crawley now.

Denly under big pressure now with Root to return. Runs from Crawley will cement his place.

Monty is ticking along...

Mohammad Abbas will enjoy bowling to Joe Denly. His trademark is the ball that moves back into the right hander.

I'm surprised Windies didn't start off this morning with Kemar Roach bowling around the wicket to Rory Burns given Roach's strength is bowling to lefties.

Oh what a review ! Holder seemed to agree to it half heartedly.

Big man Gabriel again.

Gabriel will always hold a special place in my heart for "that" shot alone. Nice to see him bowling well.

ENG 56/3 (26.5) CRR: 2.09
Day 2: 1st Session - England opt to bat

England is such a good neutral venue. An aus vs windies or aus vs india would create brilliant contests on these pitches

England is such a good neutral venue. An aus vs windies or aus vs india would create brilliant contests on these pitches

The Dukes ball helps massively too. Definitely helped make Tests in the Caribbean more entertaining since they introduced it recently.

Roach is a totally different bowler to the one that hospitalised Ricky Ponting many years ago. Now he's a more skilful bowler, relying on movement and accuracy.

Good battle between him and Stokes.

Roach is a totally different bowler to the one that hospitalised Ricky Ponting many years ago. Now he's a more skilful bowler, relying on movement and accuracy.

Totally agree.

How much he has changed since bouncing Kallis about 10 years ago!

Reckon 250 would be a very decent total in these conditions.

True. He always had that natural inswing to the right handers (Outswing to the left) and now he can straighten the as well and that too consistently from that area of uncertainty.

Pope looks like the next top batter to me if he gets to bat a little higher

I think the expectation is probably for a low scoring game given the overcast conditions and the fact that neither side is truly match ready. Southampton is a flat paradise though and the forecast is for better sunnier weather from Friday.

Crawley generally plays in the top order but, as I said in Eng vs WI build up thread I think Pope is possibly the best young middle order batsmen in tests since Root so could have been given the opportunity at no 4 in my opinion.

Pope impressed me the day I saw him against India. Didnt get runs in that match, but boy he looked very confident and well organized.
The pitch doesnt seem very difficult. Typical english pitch. Batsmen are just rusty due to a very long break.

Ollie Pope is the next best young batsmen from England, never doubted that.

Pope always looks a million dollars at the crease and then just gets out.

Windies are bowling very well.
Batters have not had enough practice and the bowlers are fresh after a long break due to Covid-19.

Holder getting some real good outswing. England seem clueless against these bowlers with wide releases.

Get butler out, otherwise if he makes 25 runs, this will be considered a legendary innings by england selectors and butler will get 20 more test innings and avg 10

England is a strange team.
This is the same team who won a test series in south africa and now they are struggling against windies in their home conditions.
Root is not there but still a top team should not be in this position especially in home conditions.

England should bat more positively. They were bogged down and it probably allowed WI bowlers to settle.

Run rate was too low.

Good positive batting from Stokes and Butler. This partnership is now worth 32 runs from 7.4 overs.

England - 119/5 after 45.3 overs.

Don't think without Root eng top order is that flash....but for that dropped catch, they would be deeper in trouble, even now if they knock stokes over, they can eye a sub 225....i think Abbas, Afridi and gang will be lining upto bowl at these guys, if this is the preview of things to come - Abbas would be unplayable in such swing seaming conditions...

This is the same team who won a test series in south africa and now they are struggling against windies in their home conditions.
Root is not there but still a top team should not be in this position especially in home conditions.

Inexperience can bring in inconsistency with it and that is whats the case with England's batting. Stokes and Buttler are the most experienced batsmen in this lineup and both have average in 30s as of now.

England should bat more positively. They were bogged down and it probably allowed WI bowlers to settle.

Run rate was too low.

It’s difficult when you are on and off and on and off, harder to stay in the Zone.

Sort of wicket where you are never in. I would like to see WI bat for the last hour on it.

RSA can’t bat.

These are hard conditions for anybody. Let’s see how WI do tomorrow. But then the sun will be out....

A quick 70-80 from Buttler is the need of hour for England now.

WI need another wicket soon to undo the work done by Stokes and Buttler

Don't think without Root eng top order is that flash....but for that dropped catch, they would be deeper in trouble, even now if they knock stokes over, they can eye a sub 225....i think Abbas, Afridi and gang will be lining upto bowl at these guys, if this is the preview of things to come - Abbas would be unplayable in such swing seaming conditions...

This has more seam than swing. Shaheen and naseem will be more effective. Can't wait to watch them bowl on these pitches

Will we hear David Lloyd in this series?

Back