West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

This is just my opinion but but I think Moeen Ali is a better batsmen then Denly, Sibley and Burns combined and has a tremendous record against the Windies.

Surprised he wasn't selected

Wow, the umpires have been quite pro England in this game

4 decisions overturned without doubt. Every wicket that wasn’t a caught behind or a bowled was given not out by the umpire and then overturned.

Have there been any umpire’s call or close decisions? Happening once or twice is understandable but 4 times in 70 odd overs to be completely wrong is a bit ridiculous.

This is just my opinion but but I think Moeen Ali is a better batsmen then Denly, Sibley and Burns combined and has a tremendous record against the Windies.

Surprised he wasn't selected

Averages 17 with the bat over the last 19 tests in a near 3 year period.

ENG 204
WI 43/1 (13.0) CRR: 3.31
Day 2: 3rd Session - West Indies trail by 161 runs

It's almost as if the umpires want English bowlers to hit the pads..they're ready with their fingers.. poor umpiring really.. raises questions about home umpiring.. so many wrong decisions against West Indies and none against England!

That was a superb over from Anderson. Incredible bowling. His expertise in this conditions is clear.

Watching him bowl alongside Archer, the difference in skill level is so evident.

Oh just checked. His contract was not renewed by Sky which is a shame in my opinion as he was still more entertaining the some around.

You sure? I know Botham and Gower were cut off but not seen anything about Bumble.

I didn’t know Wood was this quick. Only two overs so far but averaging above 90mph and consistently in the 93-95 range. That is some serious gas.

I guess he’s the quickest bowler in cricket at the moment?

Fair to say wood is comfortably quicker than Archer despite of all the hype around the latter.

People said that in 2016 but look how we managed. Abbas and Shaheen can do wonderful. Maybe we can pick Faherm and Sohail Khan (if he is fit) to help.

Interesting to see how Hasnain bowls here. With his height and pace might trouble the batsman ... looks lean and fit.. I have seen him bowl at good line and Length in the T20s but how consistent can he bowl is the question.

You sure? I know Botham and Gower were cut off but not seen anything about Bumble.

To be honest I am not 100% as I am not sure about the credibility of source (http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/c...y-personalities-cricket-and-how-make-englands)

but the article says "They stuck to their guns and David, alongside old friends Ian Botham and David “Bumble” Lloyd left their roles. What made all three of them great broadcasters was not just their cricketing knowledge, but their personalities that made viewers feel like they were watching their friends having a chat down the pub".

England have really missed Broad today. Archer and Wood are too fast to exploit the conditions. But when the sun comes out, speed through the air will become more important.

Do you support England more or Pak?

Whoever is playing the better cricket :yk It is certainly very soothing when West Indian and Pakistani pacers do really well, nothing can replicate that feeling due to the fast bowling heritage

England have really missed Broad today. Archer and Wood are too fast to exploit the conditions. But when the sun comes out, speed through the air will become more important.

They dont need 2 bowlers over 90 1 is enough should have played broad over wood any day

WI have done reasonably well. England batted like they were playing in alien condition.

Holder led from the front. He inspired his team today.

This is what good leadership can achieve.

West Indies captain Jason Holder says his rivalry with England's Ben Stokes will continue throughout the series after dismissing him on the second day of the first Test.

Holder took 6-42 to help bowl England out for 204 at Southampton.

"It was good to get his wicket and hopefully I can get it a few more times," Holder told BBC Sport.

"I'm sure we'll have a good rivalry over these next couple of weeks, as we've had in the past."

West Indies reached 57-1 - trailing by 147 - before bad light ended play early.

Holder is ranked as the number one all-rounder in Test cricket, one place above Stokes, who in April was named as Wisden's leading cricketer in the world.

"He's a competitor, a really good cricketer," Holder said. "I'm sure he'll be in my face when we come to bat."

The wicket of Stokes - caught behind for 43 - was Holder's first in a burst of 3-1 in 14 deliveries as he claimed his sixth five-wicket haul in 10 Tests.

"It feels good," Holder said. "It's a proud moment to take six wickets against England.

"I really want to make some runs. My Test is far from over. I still have a massive contribution to make with the bat."

With the weather set to improve on Friday, West Indies could have better batting conditions.

"We are in an ideal position," said Holder. "It was important that we kept our wickets in hand. The evening would have been a really good opportunity for England to get into our middle order.

"Going into the third day with nine wickets in hand is very good for us."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53356425

England can only have one of broad/woakes/Sam curran
Don't think Curran would have been that effective on this pitch.

Broad and woakes would have made breakthroughs by now

Archer is turning out to be quite overrated. I feel Archer may disappear from England team soon.

Have to say the umpiring in this game so far has been pathetic, plumb lbws not given for WI. Then poor decisions against their batsmen aswell.

Lets hope it improves for rest of test.

Not allowed to use saliva on the ball, England bowlers have resorted to applying back sweat to shine the ball in the ongoing first Test against the West Indies here.

“Back sweat has been the major thing at the moment with saliva going out the window,” seamer Mark Wood said. “Only your own, although we’re mingling the back sweat a little on the ball, I’ve got some of Jimmy (Anderson) and Jofra (Archer).”

England witnessed a disappointing second day on Thursday with West Indies bundling England out for 204 in its first innings. And Wood admitted that it hasn’t had the best outing so far in the game.

“We haven’t had the best day so plenty to do. I’d prefer a few in the wickets column rather than the pace column,” he said.

“They bowled well and got to give them credit, but 204 wasn’t on the radar, we’d have liked 250 or 300. We didn’t get it right with the ball, they got their line and length spot on. It’s a bit of cobwebs and rust,” Wood added

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...mark-wood-anderson-archer/article32039381.ece

Perfect batting weather for WI today.

Hope the England quicks get their length right or it could be a long day for them.

Sun is out, decent platform set, West Indies batsmen need to cash in.

ENG 204
WI 62/1 (23.2) CRR: 2.66
Day 3: 1st Session - West Indies trail by 142 runs

Hope Umpires have a better day.

the umpiring was atrocious and I would say you could see the unconscious bias seeping out.

Thank God for DRS.

Besides the no ball

The same umpire would not have given that out had it been a West Indies bowler appealing.

Hope has been lost. For the past 2 years instead of incline after his historic innings this guy declined.

Exactly.... Archer and Mark Wood are overrated in Test Cricket...

They really are, the fast bowling attack should be Anderson, Broad, and Woakes but I hope the English managment stays delusional and plays wood and archer in our test series too. :yk

Batting looking pretty easy now

Stupid decision by Stokes to bat first

If this series is part of test championship then it's a good news for us and our Padosis as well.

The biased umpire gets one to go his way on umpires call!

I sincerely hope there is an investigation against this younger umpire, he has been naturally in support of England. Is his name Mamoon by any chance?

2 umpires call points on that LBW

Let’s see if West Indies get decisions like that!

It seems like the default response of umpires against WI is out. But for eng even the appeals that looked quite close are not given.

It seems like the default response of umpires against WI is out. But for eng even the appeals that looked quite close are not given.

How can you you not give a passionate Stokes appeal out as an Englishmen!

If you're going to criticise them when they make wrong decisions it's not really right to start criticising them when they start making correct decisions as well.

can't complain about marginal decisions. However, kettleborough has made howlers this test as well.

:)) Nasser still bitter about not making the XI in Trinidad 1994 even when they were bowled for 46.

Conditions right now are good for batting . Windies need to press their advantage here before England start doing their lil tricks with the ball to get it to reverse or before Bess gets it to spin.

ENG 204
WI 167/3 (50.0) CRR: 3.34
Day 3: 2nd Session - West Indies trail by 37 runs

WIN still has a fair bit of batting left - these two, Blackwood, Holder, Dorwich. This Chase guy is real threat here; for a batsman averaging ~30, he has five hundreds in 58 innings, means the day he stands, plays long. 65 overs left today - a lead of 125+ and 10-12 overs to Pom openers this evening, WIN should settle for that.

Back