West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

England - 11/0 (7.3 overs).

England are trailing by 103 runs.

Run rate has been really poor. They should bat positively. Getting bogged down puts pressure.

Alzarri will have to step up as well in this innings for WI.

Run rate has been really poor. They should bat positively. Getting bogged down puts pressure.

They're playing for stumps, getting out before close puts pressure on everyone when you're trailing by 100. Plus Windies not bowling any looseners.

Stumps for Day 3.

England - 204 and 15/0 (10 overs).

West Indies - 318

England are trailing by 99 runs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not as much as losing two wickets overnight would have. They did exactly right.

I’ll say one thing - these must be the worst batting lines ever to represent these two countries.

I’ll say one thing - these must be the worst batting lines ever to represent these two countries.

No way. The 2017 ashes was the worst english batting line up. Stoneman, Vince, Malan can't get any worse.

Windies 2014 was worse also

Not as much as losing two wickets overnight would have. They did exactly right.

If England want to win this Test, they better improve that run rate tomorrow. England can lose significant number of points in ranking if they draw or lose against WI (ranked 8th).

If Archer is going to bowl medium pace instead of fast, then:

1. Wood has to take the new ball
2. England should be picking a better medium pacer than Archer, in Broad.

Who exactly could come in and improve the england batting apart from when root returns

West Indies' batsmen put the visitors in a strong position at the end of day three in Southampton, as they took a commanding 114-run first-innings lead.

Resuming from a good foundation of 57/1, Kraigg Brathwaite and Shai Hope took the score into three figures before the first wicket of the day fell. Off-spinner Dom Bess found the outside edge of Hope's flashing drive with Ben Stokes completing a sharp catch at slip.

Brathwaite passed fifty, his 18th Test half-century, but soon after was trapped leg-before by a nip-backer from Ben Stokes. Despite the loss of Brathwaite, West Indies capitalised on some loose lines from the England bowlers to continue building the score. Shamarh Brooks looked fluent for his 39 when he feathered a catch behind off James Anderson.

Blackwood was Bess's second wicket, drilling a sweetly-timed shot straight into the hands of Anderson at mid-off for 12.

Roston Chase and Shane Dowrich combined for the biggest partnership of the match so far, adding 81 runs for the sixth wicket and carrying West Indies into the lead. Chase looked increasingly fluent at the crease but became Anderson's third victim of the innings, extra movement from the second new ball proving his downfall as he was dismissed LBW for 47 from 142 balls.

Soon after Chase's departure, Dowrich brought up his fifty with consecutive twos from the bowling of Stokes, before the same bowler sent Jason Holder on his way for just 5 – caught at fine leg off the top edge.

Alzarri Joseph had a short but entertaining stay at the crease, striking three boundaries before Stokes pegged back his off stump. That wicket was the England skipper's 150th in Tests, making him just the sixth player in history to complete the double of 4000 runs and 150 wickets in the longest format.

In his next over, Stokes added to his haul with the wicket of Dowrich, who batted well for his 61, to finish with 4/49. Mark Wood finished off the innings by uprooting Shannon Gabriel's middle stump with a yorker. Despite the late flurry of wickets, the visitors extended their lead to 114 as they were all out for 318.

England openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley successfully negotiated a testing spell before stumps, taking the score to 15/0 by the close to keep the hosts' hopes of a fightback alive.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1719603

Who exactly could come in and improve the england batting apart from when root returns

I don’t think there is anyone better to bat in the top three. You could talk about Hameed, who will get another start at Notts, hopefully.

You’ll keep writing this every year going forward. In fact, it’ll be true for every team bar BD, AFG & IRL - that’s the gift of T20 to cricket.

England vs West Indies: James Anderson backs fellow bowlers after Stuart Broad’s exclusion despite tame start to first Test

That West Indies carry a 99-run first innings lead in this first Test is no surprise to James Anderson. But the 37-year old has urged England to fight back after what have been three unremarkable days for the hosts at the Ageas Bowl.

Anderson’s three for 62 and 25 overs marked his competitive return to bowling after 2020’s first Test in South Africa, in which he sustained a rib injury. Now fully recovered, the return to the grind was welcome, even though England’s lacklustre innings of 204 all out and West Indies’ response of 318 was not.

“The West Indies have had the best of the first few days, certainly,” said Anderson. “We’re up against it a little bit, so we know exactly what we’ve got to do. It’s not been our best performance with the bat or ball to be honest in the last few days, so we’ve got work to do in the next couple.”

Were it not for Ben Stokes’ four for 49, things might have been a lot worse for England’s quicks on what Anderson referred to as a “new ball pitch”, where seam and bounce disappeared once the ball got soft. Stokes’ effort of 14 overs and the general burden of captaincy had already taken a slight physical toll, with Anderson bringing news of a bruised toe for the stand-in skipper.

But the more emotionally bruised were the other quicks – notably Stuart Broad, who admitted to being “angry, frustrated and gutted” at being left out of the XI for this match. His absence, beyond what he might have offered with the ball, was more pronounced for Anderson given the pair have played 116 Tests together. As such, he can understand his colleague’s frustration.

“We’ve played a lot together, so having him at mid-off has been a familiar sight for me when I’ve been bowling. So it was odd not having him there, but someone was going to be disappointed and I’m sure throughout this series we’ll have bowlers that are disappointed to miss out.

“But as we’ve got such strength and depth, people are going to have to miss out at times. And I’m sure he’ll use this as fuel to sort of push on and when he does get the nod he’ll perform brilliantly.”

Anderson also offered reassurance to Mark Wood and Jofra Archer, both of whom were given the nod ahead of Broad for their extra pace but struggled to make an impact despite bowling the quickest spells of the match. Their 22 overs apiece produced just one wicket for Wood, who bowled Kemar Roach to finish West Indies’ first innings, while Archer had one ruled out when he overstepped the front line when seemingly claiming Shai Hope for LBW in the first session.

“I thought they bowled really well,” said Anderson of his team-mates. “We all found it tricky at times. You have days like this in Test cricket when things don’t quite go your way.

“Jofra, getting a wicket off a no-ball, if he gets that, his confidence goes up and he could get on a roll then. Similarly with Woody, I felt he bowled well in periods and on another day he could have had more wickets. It’s just one of those things in Test cricket.

“The exciting thing, from a bowler’s point of view, is you know you’ve got the second innings and another opportunity to get some wickets.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...rt-broad-mark-wood-jofra-archer-a9613316.html

James Anderson accepted England are "up against it" after ending day three of the first #raisethebat Test 99 runs adrift of the West Indies.

The tourists established a sizeable lead of 114 after posting a first-innings score of 318, though England's openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley nudged that down into double figures during a tense 10-over spell against the new ball before stumps.

Clearing the rest of the deficit and setting a match-winning chase is sure to be a tricky task against a high-class Windies bowling attack, but Anderson combined realism with optimism as he assessed the home side's chances.

"The West Indies have had the best of the first few days certainly, we are up against it," he said.

Highlights from day three of the first Test between England and the West Indies, as the tourists built a healthy first-innings lead.
"But we know exactly what we've got to do. If we bat well tomorrow and get a decent lead, get a bit ahead, we can give ourselves a chance of bowling them out in the fourth innings of the game.

"It hasn't been our best performance with bat or ball these last few days, so we've got work to do in the next couple.

"We'll need a little bit of luck. We don't want it [the pitch] to deteriorate too much tomorrow obviously and then on the final it can do as much as it wants."

Anderson claimed 3-62 in a typically reliable stint, while first-time captain Ben Stokes stepped up with his best Test figures for two years of 4-49.

Great expectations for the all-out pace of Mark Wood and Jofra Archer failed to be met, the 44 overs of effort from the pair yielding only a number 11 scalp in Shannon Gabriel, who Wood bowled to end the Windies innings.

Anderson praised skipper Stokes' contribution, adding: "Ben did a brilliant job. There were some decent miles in the legs of me, Jof and Woody so when he got those wickets at the end it was crucial.

"I thought Woody and Jofra bowled really well, but you have days like this in Test cricket. Jofra got a wicket off a no-ball - if he gets that, his confidence goes up and he could get on a roll. Similarly with Woody, I felt he bowled well in periods and on another day he could have had more wickets."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...inst-it-to-win-first-test-against-west-indies

I don’t think there is anyone better to bat in the top three. You could talk about Hameed, who will get another start at Notts, hopefully.

England have been brave to pick so many young batsmen in top 6, its a positive move and longterm some of these players will come good. Patients will be needed.

Looks a good batting day, sun is out so will take a big effort from West Indies today.

Conditions have gotten better for batting consistently. I suspect that it will start taking turn and will become hard to bat by the time Windies bat again.

WI 318
ENG 204, 40/0 (17.4) CRR: 2.26
Day 4: 1st Session - England trail by 74 runs

how many overs have been lost in the game so far?

I know yesterday they managed to get 92 overs in the day.

WI 318
ENG 204, 63/0 (24.2) CRR: 2.59
Day 4: 1st Session - England trail by 51 runs

Alzarri Joseph is yet to ball and I think can be important here.

Superb batting. Technically good and mentally excellent. England have been outplayed throughout the match and could have gone down in a heap last night, but this pair have ensured that the team will remain competitive for the next two days.

Superb batting. Technically good and mentally excellent. England have been outplayed throughout the match and could have gone down in a heap last night, but this pair have ensured that the team will remain competitive for the next two days.

True but, I think conditions have improved a lot with sun out in comparison to the first 2 days with overcast condition.

True but, I think conditions have improved a lot with sun out in comparison to the first 2 days with overcast condition.

I think we are looking at a drawn Test. For there to be a result, it would need one of the two sides to suffer a batting collapse.

Sibley's taken a nasty blow to the elbow and is bleeding. That ball reared up off a length.

Very defensive batting by England, especially given that the ball is not doing much.

They seem to be happy to escape with a draw here.

Just 8 runs in last 10 overs!

England will get to 250/5 by the end of day. Then tomorrow morning Stokes and Buttler can go all guns blazing and hit 150 runs in a session and then declare asking Windies to chase 280 in two sessions on 5th day pitch.

Very defensive batting by England, especially given that the ball is not doing much.

They seem to be happy to escape with a draw here.

Just 8 runs in last 10 overs!

IMO the plan is to minimise the loss of wickets whilst they are behind in the game (0-1 wickets ideally, or 2 at most), and then you will see the middle and later order open their shoulders this evening in order to build a lead.

Very good batting by England. Even a chase of 200 won't be easy on this pitch. Once that hack denly goes and Root returns, England will have a very competent batting lineup imo.

There is variable bounce and some movement, so not completely flat and batting friendly
The pitch in the last 10 overs yesterday when they batted were a minefield

They had to make 50 more runs, let's see how denly fares.

Cornwall may have been useful in this innings

Rory Burns what have you done ? A century was there for the taking.

Completely against the run of play.

Alzarri hasn't lived up to hype so far. He simply hasn't been quick enough to be successful when conditions dont assist him .

IMO the plan is to minimise the loss of wickets whilst they are behind in the game (0-1 wickets ideally, or 2 at most), and then you will see the middle and later order open their shoulders this evening in order to build a lead.

Yes, hopefully we get to watch some exciting cricket later in the day and tomorrow.

Ive seen some poor England teams in my time but I dont think ive seen a player as poor as Denly being selected at 3.

He's handy enough in LOI's but never a test player.

Pitch is doing tricks, a target of 220 should be enough. Let's see if eng make that much. This is a career defining knock from denly,

Eng going at RR of less than 2 after 40 overs with 1 down, don’t remember when I last saw that except maybe a team in 4th innings batting for a draw.

Looks like Eng are trying to minimize the chance of defeat first.

I predict Sibley will have a very successful test career.
He might turn out as good as langer

WI 318
ENG 204, 90/1 (44.0) CRR: 2.05
Day 4: 2nd Session - England trail by 24 runs

Yeah, get to safety first, then let Bess wheel away for two sessions and see what happens on a track that is hopefully breaking up. Windies can't bat any better than England.

Wish Moeen or Leach was there to help Bess though. Moeen has an excellent record in the fourth innings. No Root either, but Denley might bowl some of his leggies.

Lifeless batting really. Minnowesque stuff, playing to save a test match at home against the eight ranked team.

Lifeless batting really. Minnowesque stuff, playing to save a test match at home against the eight ranked team.

I think they are playing just right. This is a test match in England. If you want sixes, there is IPL.

Looked to me like something was behind the line. I don’t agree with that no ball. Should be out

I think they are playing just right. This is a test match in England. If you want sixes, there is IPL.

No one is wanting to play like an IPL but atleast run rate should be 3-4 runs per over.

Should have gone on to score a big one.
Gabriel is making the ball talk even after 50 overs.

No one is wanting to play like an IPL but atleast run rate should be 3-4 runs per over.

Four an over is very fast in tests. Two an over is fine in this sort of situation. The game ebbs and flows. If England can get a platform then Stokes, Pope and Buttler can accelerate later on, perhaps tomorrow morning.

If our guys bother do any research, they'll see Sibley's weakness are balls targeted at his ribs/hips. He got out like that a few times in South Africa.

WI 318
ENG 204, 119/2 (54.0) CRR: 2.2
Day 4: 2nd Session - England lead by 5 runs

If our guys bother do any research, they'll see Sibley's weakness are balls targeted at his ribs/hips. He got out like that a few times in South Africa.
Research and working on their own weaknesses let alone their oppositions is an alien �� thing for them

Four an over is very fast in tests. Two an over is fine in this sort of situation. The game ebbs and flows. If England can get a platform then Stokes, Pope and Buttler can accelerate later on, perhaps tomorrow morning.

3 is average in Tests IMO, England at this stage going at 2 is fine but come the last session might want to get going at 3 or more if they want to make a game out of this and get WI in by lunch tomorrow.

England is displaying perfectly what will happen in a four day Test if a side is behind by a little after two days and two 98 overs days are remaining. And this is WTC game, means a draw will cost both teams in terms of points.

England playing this perfectly.

Good old fashioned Test cricket.

West Indies need to do something different here, they’re not getting breakthroughs regularly enough.

Back