West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

Research and working on their own weaknesses let alone their oppositions is an alien �� thing for them

I doubt it. There are top class analytics teams that work with te PSL and i believe Multan Sultans had the CricViz guys working for them. So, I would think they have similar quality analytics teams for the pakistan national team too.

Oh, Denly.

Nothing delivery, out in the twenties again. Did all the hard work then gives it away.

Creepy in the box seat for second test now.

Surely that means that Root comes straight back in for Denly. An embarrassing dismissal at a critical moment in the Test match.

Stokes is putting too much pressure and responsibility on himself by coming at no. 5. Atleast for this test, he should have batted at no. 6

I doubt it. There are top class analytics teams that work with te PSL and i believe Multan Sultans had the CricViz guys working for them. So, I would think they have similar quality analytics teams for the pakistan national team too.

That was Multan Sultans who actually invested in those people and made sure they do some research and hence actually made good progress in PSL this year.

When you've got Misbah at the helm then you shouldn't be expecting that type of work/team around.

Stokes is putting too much pressure and responsibility on himself by coming at no. 5. Atleast for this test, he should have batted at no. 6

He’s leading from the front. He also has his best batting average at no.5. I support it.

Oh, Denly.

Nothing delivery, out in the twenties again. Did all the hard work then gives it away.

Creepy in the box seat for second test now.

At 34 Denlt making way for Root for the next test makes sense rather than dropping Crawley at 23 who like Pope is the future.

It'll be Crawley who keeps his place and Denly making way for Root in the next Test.

Crawley's FC average is a bit concerning but is highly rated.

So what can Pakistan batsmen learn from how England have taken on this challenge?

Still feel No.3 is the best position for Root when he comes back for the next test.

Burns
Sibley
Root
Crawley
Stokes
Pope
Buttler

It'll be Crawley who keeps his place and Denly making way for Root in the next Test.

Crawley's FC average is a bit concerning but is highly rated.

yes his fc average is low at 31 but surely makes sense to investing in him rather than going to Denly.

Bar Shan Masood, please don't put any Pakistani player in the Sandals player zone...

Still feel No.3 is the best position for Root when he comes back for the next test.

Burns
Sibley
Root
Crawley
Stokes
Pope
Buttler

Nah, that’s Aussie thinking. He averages under 40 at #3 and 70 at #5. I think it should be

Monty
Sibley
Creepy
Root
Stokes (c)
Pope
Foakes (w)

Even the great Sir Viv Richards batted at #5 as skipper.

Nah, that’s Aussie thinking. He averages under 40 at #3 and 70 at #5. I think it should be

Monty
Sibley
Creepy
Root
Stokes (c)
Pope
Foakes (w)

Even the great Sir Viv Richards batted at #5 as skipper.

You've still put him at 4 despite saying that he's averaging 70 at 5.

Agree with Foakes for Buttler though.

Last edited:
Day 4 - Session 3: England lead by 71 runs

ENG 185/3 (74.0) - CRR: 2.50

Crawley 50* (83)
Stokes 5* (24)

Min. Overs Remaining: 34.0

Last edited:
Day 4 - Session 3: England lead by 70 runs

ENG 185/3 (74.0) - CRR: 2.50

Crawley 50* (83)
Stokes 5* (24)

Min. Overs Remaining: 34.0

If England can get 130-150 in these 34 overs and bat 15-20 overs tomorrow and get 280-300, you never know they can think about declaring or actually get bowled out.

If Windies can bowl them out for under 250 they might fancy chasing.

WI desperately need wickets, Stokes and Crawley could bat them out of the game here, especially if Stokes decides to go all-out before stumps. Chasing 250+ on a Day 5 wicket against Bess could prove quite difficult for a generally out of form batting lineup.

You've still put him at 4 despite saying that he's averaging 70 at 5.

Agree with Foakes for Buttler though.

Hmm, I think #4 is too high for Stokes, or for Pope currently. So Root has to stay there.

Creepy is starting to look very good.

Hmm, I think #4 is too high for Stokes, or for Pope currently. So Root has to stay there.

Creepy is starting to look very good.

Creepy is looking good so you'd put him up at 3 then.

Root at 4 for now could be the way to go as 4 is high for Stokes as you'd said and for Pope as he is best at 6 for now.

New ball must be taken now and Gabriel's gotta make it talk if Windies want to win this game.

100 runs lead by Poms , they need to take it up now , and look to get going , that will put WI under pressure

Oh my god Rob Key has completely lost it Brian Johnson-style with the mention of Ben Stokes' old cricket club...

Big opportunity for Zak Crawley to get his first Test hundred here. Windies, like the pitch, looking flat despite the second new ball.

it was all along an atrocious batting effort from the west indies. 300 on what was clearly a 400 pitch at the time.
i didn't see a ball move an inch yesterday. chanderpaul and sarwan must be sitting at home in the Caribbean thinking 'we should have buried england there'. bet they would have loved to have played with roach and gabriel

Crawley is actually motoring along at RR 61.

Here comes round three of Stokes vs Holder.

Windies right back in it now, with only Pope and Buttler and the bowlers left.

This is turning into a seriously good game.

All results possible.

Windies back in this with those 2 quick wickets.

As said earlier, anything under 250 and Windies might just fancy chasing.

Butler doesnot have a test cricketer in him. Never comes forward. Plays from the crease. And his head falls causing his hands to rush at the ball.

This is why pope should bat no. 5. Pope can't play with the tail and hit boundaries like stokes.

That WK that played in SL was so good.Should have replaced buttler

Wonder when the penny will drop with the selectors that Jos Buttler isn't a Test batsman.

Butler doesnot have a test cricketer in him. Never comes forward. Plays from the crease. And his head falls causing his hands to rush at the ball.

Apalling how eng won't let him go. They are still convinced he will turn into Gilchrist.

Even bairstow is better than him

Wonder when the penny will drop with the selectors that Jos Buttler isn't a Test batsman.

He’s had forty tests! Foakes is clearly superior. I think Jos is probably good for morale or something.

Bairstow is better than butler but in becoming an excellent powerhitter he has altered his technique. He has developed a tendency of playing away from his body and push his bottom hand at the ball. But still he is a massive upgrade over buttler.

Last edited:
west indies bowling looking absolutely stacked tbh
jesus if they had a semblance of a middle order they would be a genuinely good side
west indies cricket is far from done. said it for a while and i will never stop saying it

the days of pedro collins and corey collymore really were just a flash in the pan in the bad sense

Reckon anything over 200 should be a very difficult chase for the West Indies looking at how the pitch is behaving.

Back