West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

One opener retired hurt, the other out. 7-1 (or 2 if Cambell doesn't come back).

Lol. 2 down. chasing here in the 4th innings is exceptionally hard and this windies lineup is just not consistent enough to put runs on the board.

WI has messed up the chase, still one big partnership and they can come back in the game. 4th innings are tricky though especially the kind of batting lineups we are gonna see in Eng this summer including Eng’s itself.

England are dominating.
Combination of good sensible 5th day bowling targeting the stumps and some lazy WI batting

Game done and dusted. It’s a shame neither Bravo or Hetmyer chose to tour.

I would have played zafar gohar and shadab khan as bowling all rounders plus 3 seamers abbas and shahs.
Need 2 spinners as pitches are going to get drier as the season progresses

Lucky roston, I was wrong about the pitch. It has everything for the bowlers.
Eng have bowled much better. Chase, Dowrich and holder have to score for windies to have a chance

I would have played zafar gohar and shadab khan as bowling all rounders plus 3 seamers abbas and shahs.
Need 2 spinners as pitches are going to get drier as the season progresses
Fawad Alam as a 5th bowler and 2nd spinner..?

Eng is winning it. What a comeback by them. Jofra is a match winner. No one should doubt his class. And dont judge any player on one performance.

England have bowled exceptionally well here, but it’s only 3 wickets down. Game isn’t done yet.

ENG 204, 313
WI 318, 42/3 (18.4) CRR: 2.25
Day 5: 2nd Session - West Indies need 158 runs

West Indies are a batsman short - dont know if Campbell will play again or not

I think Chase can win this match for Windies. He is good in 4th inning.

Eng is winning it. What a comeback by them. Jofra is a match winner. No one should doubt his class. And dont judge any player on one performance.

Games even at the moment 50 runs partnership or 2 wickets will do it for either side

Easy catch dropped by Buttler. Hopefully these 2 can take WI past 100

Anderson applied sweat on ball.
Is that allowed?

Sweat from the back is allowed. Spit is not. Problem is, only bowlers etc who run a lot will sweat. Which is why many players who don't wear sweaters are wearing now, to sweat more

Chase is a very good player. His stats aren't great but he is a very good player.

ENG 204, 313
WI 318, 82/3 (29.0) CRR: 2.83
Day 5: 2nd Session - West Indies need 118 runs

same was said about bumrah lel. A class player will always be just that, class. Bumrah actually bowled well inn the second test vs n.z away early this year. He was slowly getting back to his absolute best.

Joffra is the same. He is a quality bowler. He will bounce back. in form. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

I am more impressed with Shannon, alzarri to be honest at the moment. West Indies have quite a good bowling attack to rival any team in the world with roach, alzarri, Shannon and holder. Impressive stuff from.the claypso nation.

Should have been taken but may have been a no ball anyway.

Blackwood is better when he plays aggressively.

England getting really sloppy now.

That mini spell of missed chances could cost them the Test.

Chase and Blackwood have played beautifully so far

Blackwood needs to redeem himself after what he did in the first innings and all the pre series talk about how he has changed his game to play maturely and not those rash shots that he used to.

Buttler is very fortunate selectors have given him ample chances in tests, yet he has rarely delivered

Are WIN effectively four down or that guy can bat again?

Add Bravo, Hetmyer, and a decent spinner and West Indies have a good test team. Remember Kemo Paul and Oshane Thomas aren't even playing in this game.

same was said about bumrah lel. A class player will always be just that, class. Bumrah actually bowled well inn the second test vs n.z away early this year. He was slowly getting back to his absolute best.

Joffra is the same. He is a quality bowler. He will bounce back. in form. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

I am more impressed with Shannon, alzarri to be honest at the moment. West Indies have quite a good bowling attack to rival any team in the world with roach, alzarri, Shannon and holder. Impressive stuff from.the claypso nation.

Bumrah was tired due to to playing many limited overs games, both him and Shami didn't bowl to their best in new Zealand

West Indies have never lost a test when chasing a target of 200 or less. Amazing record.

Day 5 - Session 2: West Indies require 100 runs to win

WI 100/3 (35.0) - CRR: 2.85

Blackwood 39* (69)
Chase 37* (84)

Min. Overs Remaining: 52.0

Archer producing a special show tonight. Arguably this is one of his best bowling.

Couple of quick wickets or one good partnership can tilt the match either ways.

Want Anderson to take few wickets

What a Test match end it’s heading towards. Problem for England was that targets like 200 takes out second ball and no matter how difficult the conditions are, a settled batsman against old ball can chase such totals almost alone. I think, it’s all about nerves now - Poms have to hold on to their catches while WIN must keep scoring; every boundary will squeeze England more.

Footnote: in another thread I read a “tight” contest between Blackwood & all-rounder Faheem Ashraf .....

Little bit of heatwave and Anderson cant buy a wicket. It sums up his career perfectly how ineffective he is without clouds.

Anyway....hoping for a West Indies win.

What a Test match end it’s heading towards. Problem for England was that targets like 200 takes out second ball and no matter how difficult the conditions are, a settled batsman against old ball can chase such totals almost alone. I think, it’s all about nerves now - Poms have to hold on to their catches while WIN must keep scoring; every boundary will squeeze England more.

Footnote: in another thread I read a “tight” contest between Blackwood & all-rounder Faheem Ashraf .....

Sum of parts :yk

What happens to india when they play in england, teams like windies and pakistan give them tough competition and we make them look like a top test team.

ENG 204, 313
WI 318, 143/4 (45.0) CRR: 3.18
Day 5: Tea Break - West Indies need 57 runs

Almost there!

Back