West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

If England set a target of 220, they probably can't lose the game. They are almost there. Lead is now worth 162 runs.

even if england win here, im not impressed. this is a terrible england side. dom bess cant spin the ball
if i was pakistani i would be feeling very optimistic about my chances this summer. pak also have a great bowling line-up but they also have a middle order bat or two

even if england win here, im not impressed. this is a terrible england side. dom bess cant spin the ball
if i was pakistani i would be feeling very optimistic about my chances this summer. pak also have a great bowling line-up but they also have a middle order bat or two

Absolutely!

Pakistan must be licking their lips. Pakistan can win the series against this weak England.

Absolutely!

Pakistan must be licking their lips. Pakistan can win the series against this weak England.

With the inclusion of Root and Broad... England has better chances.... We can't defeat them...
We have inexperience bowling line with fragile middle order...

Brilliant bowling, any team would struggle against this.

The pitch becomes venomous towards the end of the day, and becomes flatter next morning

With the inclusion of Root and Broad... England has better chances.... We can't defeat them...
We have inexperience bowling line with fragile middle order...

Pak have a shocking batting line up and weaker attack than windies

Brilliant bowling, any team would struggle against this.

The pitch becomes venomous towards the end of the day, and becomes flatter next morning

Aren't we touring the Caribbean next year ? That could be a bloodbath.

Only the bowlers will be optimistic. Pakistani batters are poor.

If one more batsman steps up and helps babar, then maybe things could get interesting for pak

Strange inning from pope. Never really tried to score aggressively. Just blocked. Maybe pitch is very uneven and slow to score at a higher tempo.

I think windies have won this. Eng need at least 200 to have a chance.

Man of the match stuff from Gabriel

I think this is going to be really close.

Windies to get home by 2-3 wickets, or England to win by less than 10 runs.

Test Cricket, how we have missed you.

As mentioned in another thread as well none of the English batsman in this line up averages even 40 in test cricket. Pope averages above 40 but has only played 7 matches till now.

Pretty much same is the case with WI.

Stumps for day 4.

England - 204 and 284/8 (104 overs).

West Indies - 318

England lead by 170 runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what should be England's strategy tomorrow? Play out 20-25 overs (if possible)?

I think they should look to bat out the morning session. Give WI a target of 200-210 in 60 overs.

This is why discussion about 4 days tests is nonsense. Tomorrow we are going to get entertained, can't wait.

dread to think what asad shafiq is going to do to dom bess this summer
it could get proper messy

Set up for a cracking Day 5. West Indies probably wouldn't want to chase more than 200 on a wearing pitch.

The Headingley pitch where they chased down 320 in 2017 played much better than this.

Their bowlers recovered magnificently in that last session but the English bowlers will be encouraged by the uneven bounce.

The pitch really looked to be spitting fire in that last hour. Windies I would say are slight favourites to win at the moment, but a 4th innings chase in these conditions will not be easy.

I think windies have won this. Eng need at least 200 to have a chance.

Man of the match stuff from Gabriel

Wood will be pitching it up more this time and taking advantage of the variable bounce.

I think WI will win by three wickets, but will have to work hard.

So, what should be England's strategy tomorrow? Play out 20-25 overs (if possible)?

I think they should look to bat out the morning session. Give WI a target of 200-210 in 60 overs.

Not with just bowlers left. I reckon try to slog to 200.

The pitch really looked to be spitting fire in that last hour. Windies I would say are slight favourites to win at the moment, but a 4th innings chase in these conditions will not be easy.

Pitch was doing the same tricks last 10 overs yesterday, Sibley miraculously survived.

Pitch is predicted to get drier, if it remains like it was today, then windies will comfortably chase it

england shouldnt even be in with a shout here really. terrible decision at the toss, terrible top 4. if england win from here it will just be down to stokes
will feel for windies if they lose though, they really should have batted us out the game. even sri lanka would have batted us out the game yesterday

All results are on.

Should be a very interesting day tomorrow.

England lost five wickets for 30 runs late on the fourth day to leave West Indies as favourites to win the first Test in Southampton.

Zak Crawley's 76, allied to 46 from Ben Stokes, looked to be batting England into a winning position.

Both fell in successive overs to begin the England slide as the tourists lifted themselves with the second new ball late in the day.

Pace bowler Alzarri Joseph removed Crawley and Jos Buttler after Jason Holder struck another blow in his battle with fellow captain and all-rounder Stokes.

Dom Bess survived being dropped and a tight lbw shout, only to be bowled by Shannon Gabriel, who had Ollie Pope play on four balls later.

Overall, England fell from 249-3 to 279-8, ultimately closing on 284-8 - a lead of 170.

With the pitch showing some uneven bounce, particularly from one end, England will have a chance of defending whatever target they set.

However, West Indies have been impressive throughout the match, and they have a superb opportunity to go ahead in the three-match series.

While there have been times when the behind-closed-doors environment has felt eerie and lifeless, a day when the two sides arm-wrestled for the initiative has set up what could be a grandstand finish.

England deserve credit for the way their batting improved from their first-innings 204 all out, albeit in conditions where they would have had no excuse for failing again.

There were times when West Indies were forced to retreat, but they never lost control, meaning they were only ever one or two wickets away from being on top.

Sunday morning will see England wanting to eke out as many runs as they can, but, whatever they set West Indies, all four results will be possible.

The final day will also reveal if England's strategy of batting first and omitting Stuart Broad was correct.

By choosing to bat on a damp first day, the hosts hoped they would reap the benefit of bowling last on a dry surface that would suit the extra pace of Mark Wood and Jofra Archer, and turn for off-spinner Bess.

We will soon know if they were right.

West Indies started the day in a strong position - England were 99 behind with all 10 second-innings wickets in hand.

If the tourists were hoping to ram home their advantage, they were thwarted by some dogged England resistance in lovely batting conditions.

West Indies maintained their discipline, though. All of Holder, Kemar Roach and off-spinner Roston Chase kept a lid on England's scoring, and the rewards came.

Rory Burns was fluent for his 42 before he spooned Chase to point, Dom Sibley scored almost exclusively off his pads and was eventually caught down the leg side off Gabriel for 50, while Joe Denly's surrender to Chase was a gift.

When Crawley and Stokes were together, West Indies began to look tired and frustrated in the heat, but found inspiration when Holder got Stokes for the second time in the match.

Joseph yorked Buttler and could have had Bess twice, only for the fiery Gabriel to swing the match in his team's favour with a double strike.

With captain Joe Root isolating after being at the birth of his second child, England's choice between Kent team-mates Denly and Crawley - both part of the team that won in South Africa last winter - was delayed.

Denly, who kept his place at number three, appeared to be the man in possession, yet he failed to capitalise on another start, while Crawley went on to make the highest score of the match - and his Test career.

Denly, aged 33 and playing his 15th Test, veers from looking composed to edgy. When he tamely chipped Chase to short mid-wicket for 29 it was the sixth time in eight innings that he had passed 25 but not reached 40.

Crawley can be loose, but has youth on his side. His strokeplay is elegant, and this innings was built on on-drives, back-foot punches and the occasional reverse sweep.

He added 98 with the typically authoritative Stokes, but when Stokes pushed a Holder wide one to gully and Crawley was sharply caught and bowled by Joseph in successive overs, West Indies grabbed control.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan on BBC Test Match Special: "I wouldn't want to chase over 200 on this wicket. I think 171 will be difficult with England's bowling.

"If one player gets you 60 or 70 West Indies should win the Test match.

"It's been a terrific Test. I've loved it and just wish there was a crowd here to watch it."

West Indies limited-overs all-rounder Carlos Brathwaite: "West Indies have their noses in front. They will sleep sweeter tonight than the England team would.

"I think 200 seems to be the target. Any less than that, West Indies will be happy. If not, England will feel like they have a chance. It's just going to be a riveting last day of Test cricket."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53374411

The #raisethebat first Test is heading for a thrilling finale at the Ageas Bowl after an enthralling fourth day but will it be England or West Indies celebrating at its conclusion?

Having started the day under pressure, England's top order batted patiently and by the end of the afternoon session it was Ben Stokes' side in the ascendancy.

However, the West Indies came roaring back after tea and a spell of 5-30 before the close to give themselves the edge going into day five. England's lead is 170 with just two wickets remaining but with the surface beginning to deteriorate, the game remains very delicately poised as the differing opinions on which side is will go on to win confirms...

"It should be tight if we bowl well tomorrow and hopefully get a few more runs. If we can get above a 200-run lead that would be very nice and give us a great chance of winning the game.

"Absolutely [we already have enough to work with], at the end there you could see the ball was doing quite a bit. They bowled quite well but the pitch was offering a bit of up-and-down bounce, so we'll work with that all day tomorrow and we've definitely got the bowlers to take 10 wickets on there.

"It's definitely two-paced and with the new ball it started to bounce a bit more. With the old ball kept low rather than bounce but the new ball started to bounce and take the gloves which we saw quite a bit. There was obviously a bit of nip there at times to get a couple of key wickets for the West Indies at the end. Mainly bounce with the new ball.

"I think it is already very dry, we can see variable bounce and that is probably from the dryness, but I couldn't say how quickly it is going to dry. Hopefully it does [get dry quickly] for our sake, (Dom) Bessy is a very good spinner and he'll come into the game if it does dry out."

"I would even put my own money on the West Indies right now. I think they are in a very healthy position, the lead is 170 and they still have to get two wickets. We know anything is possible in this great game, those last two wickets could cost them 60 or 70 runs - or it could cost them five runs!

"I would think that if the West Indies are chasing anything under 220 then they should be going out there with a positive outlook. The pitch is not helping the batsmen because it is a little bit slow but all they have to know is that they can bat time. The last two wickets should not take a very long time so it should not be a case of chasing a score with a limited amount of overs or time. They can just go out there and bat.

"I see no reason why the batting line up that the West Indies have can't chase those sort of runs on this pitch.

"Even with that fragility at the top of the order we know that numbers four to 11, well not 11, forget Mr (Shannon) Gabriel, four down to 10 can contribute. We're not saying that the first three won't but even if they don't… I'm hoping that the top order will give the West Indies a good start and with (Shai) Hope batting where he's batting, the rest will contribute as well and help him along the way."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...ng-with-first-test-set-to-go-down-to-the-wire

I can't see a draw happening because target should be quite low. There should be a winner.

This is effectively a 4 day Test though.Only 17 overs on Day1

4 day test would also have rain interruptions.

This would have been effectively 3 day test if ICC was stupid enough to implement mandatory 4 day test.

4 day test would also have rain interruptions.

This would have been effectively 3 day test if ICC was stupid enough to implement mandatory 4 day test.
Then why not make it 6 days to get results in all rain affected match?

WI 318
ENG 204, 289/8 (106.0) CRR: 2.73
Day 5: 1st Session - England lead by 175 runs

Lead needs to be below 200 ideally for WI

Pitch isn't doing much, should be an easy chase for windies. Wood had to score runs to compensate for his poor bowling in the 1st innings

Cheeky little knock from Jofra to get the lead up to 200.

England are going to have to bowl out of their skins here and create great intensity in order to win. I fear that without a crowd this will be much more difficult.

WI 318
ENG 204, 313-all out (111.2) CRR: 2.81
Day 5: 1st Session - England lead by 199 runs

so much for not putting spit on the ball, seen jimmy do it two or three times now

If shaheen and naseem both had 20-25 tests experience under their belt I would have backed Pak to win series next month

Very timid start from windies, thus strategy will make it even harder for them, because more overs they will have to play harder the pitch will become.

Back