What message will it send if domestic performers from the Champions One-Day Cup 2024 do not get selected for the national team?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
The tournament is now entering its middle stages. So far from Pakistani young bloods who haven't represented the Pakistani team before and are yet to make their debut or haven't been a mainstay in the pakistan team for a while are

1) Kamran Ghulam
2) Haider Ali
3) Mubasir Khan
4) Abdul Samad
5) Hurraira (Hasn't performed but showed solid intent and good stroke play for his 39)
6) Qasim Akram
7) Muhammad Husnain
8) Zahid Mahmood
9) Jahndad Khan
10) Mehran Mumtaz

^^ So far these are your 10 talents who have performed and have shown performance.

Meanwhile the mainstay from the Pakistan such as Saim Ayub, Abdullah shafiq, Imam ul haq, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Fakhar Zaman, Shadab Khan etc have been shockingly poor.

Obviously the tournament isn't over and things could change, but what message will it send if non performers like shadab khan, Shan masood, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Abrar Ahmed etc continue to get selected irrespective of their performance in the cup?

Side Note: This OP is not about overall quality of Pakistan international cricket and whether players will fail in international or not, this is a domestic tournament, Logic applies that your best performers get selected.

Don't agree completely with the list. Mehran only performed when the the pitch started

Haider Ali is not close to being good enough either.

I think Mohammad Ali should be given a chance though

Don't agree completely with the list. Mehran only performed when the the pitch started

Haider Ali is not close to being good enough either.

I think Mohammad Ali should be given a chance though
It doesn't matter, they performed, look at my note. This isn't about who you'll assume will fail or won't fail in international.

It's about who's performing and who isn't. What message does it send if these guys are ignored and Shan masood gets another ride?

nothing to surprise as this always happens here that good performance alone isn’t enough to get selected for the team. You need a certain parchi to move your file forward... so expect the same from this tournament too!

Stats aren't everything. Imam has scored 2 fifties which on paper look great but we know his ceiling. Omar bin Yusuf was looking great but unfortunately got run out.

Fakhar even if not getting some.huge scores know can and has performed so I wouldn't drop him from white ball. But maybe rest for some low ranked series and give newcomes chance.

Imam has performed well in both games.When imam scores a fifty, you consider him poor.However your favorite huraira failed in both games but you considered it as good performance. What a logic 😂 We have to accept that imam is still our best option in ODIs. Rest are all poor.

Imam has performed well in both games.When imam scores a fifty, you consider him poor.However your favorite huraira failed in both games but you considered it as good performance. What a logic 😂 We have to accept that imam is still our best option in ODIs. Rest are all poor.
Hurraira is the only person on the list who hasn't performed but showed promise which is why I ranked him in brackets.

As for Imam, performing does not kean scoring 2 50's. He got out to terrible bowlers like shadab Khan and to top it off theirs no change in his game approach.

If you want an opener you could try kamran ghulam and move him up the order. He's dome good at 3, might as well put him one spot up.

There are domestic performers who have been performing for years now. Kamran Ghulam. Mohammad Ali etc. They have been grinding hard for years.

I have not seen any new face apart from that pacer (Sirajuddin). He looks like a good find and has pace and swing.

We have to identify players for both White-ball and red-ball. A guy like Kamran is suited for both IMO. Mohammad Ali is doing well in white ball at the moment.

There are domestic performers who have been performing for years now. Kamran Ghulam. Mohammad Ali etc. They have been grinding hard for years.

I have not seen any new face apart from that pacer (Sirajuddin). He looks like a good find and has pace and swing.

We have to identify players for both White-ball and red-ball. A guy like Kamran is suited for both IMO. Mohammad Ali is doing well in white ball at the moment.
Kamran Ghulam is good, but should only play red ball and odi. However I can see him becoming a suitable replacement for Babar considering Babar is done and dusted.

Babar needs to really improve and selectors should not be fooled by him bashing Dhani.

Ghulam needs to be tried as a no 3 now and replace Abdullah Shafiq ASAP.

However Ali is too slow.

Someone needs to get these guys a bowling coach and teach them raw pace.

Kamran Ghulam is good, but should only play red ball and odi. However I can see him becoming a suitable replacement for Babar considering Babar is done and dusted.

Babar needs to really improve and selectors should not be fooled by him bashing Dhani.

Ghulam needs to be tried as a no 3 now and replace Abdullah Shafiq ASAP.

However Ali is too slow.

Someone needs to get these guys a bowling coach and teach them raw pace.
I am also talking about ODIs and Tests atm. T20s are irrelevant now.

Kamran can easily walk in red ball team for sure. ODI?? Still need to do well here but he surely doing better than other over-hyped guys like Abdullah or Saim or Shan. They are pathetic.

I am also talking about ODIs and Tests atm. T20s are irrelevant now.

Kamran can easily walk in red ball team for sure. ODI?? Still need to do well here but he surely doing better than other over-hyped guys like Abdullah or Saim or Shan. They are pathetic.
Shan isn't overhyped, Everyone hates him and when he was made captain the iconic parchi parchi meme spread once again. Only chacha defended Shan amd hence was also clowned for it with people claiming only a parchi can defend a parchi.

It's just in Australian test series, because pakistani fans were expecting to lose and they thought that Shan did a few hand gestures that he could become a Mile breadley esc captain which has now fallen flat after Bangladesh test series.

As for Saim and Abdullah oof boi were they overhyped. Saim as the successor to saeed Anwar and Abdullah Shafiq the next Mohammad Yousaf, Haha.

Hurraira is the only person on the list who hasn't performed but showed promise which is why I ranked him in brackets.

As for Imam, performing does not kean scoring 2 50's. He got out to terrible bowlers like shadab Khan and to top it off theirs no change in his game approach.

If you want an opener you could try kamran ghulam and move him up the order. He's dome good at 3, might as well put him one spot up.
yeah he got out to shadab once. what happened in the first game? he got a shocker of an lbw decision against him. And btw do you know that he was batting at a strike rate close to 100 in both games. this is the sr at which you are supposed to bat in middle overs. if he had gotten past 40 overs, his sr would have automatically increased. Moreover, what kind of promise has hurraira shown? He has an absolutely poor technique. any kind of swing will expose his technique in international level. he just stays on backfoot for too long

yeah he got out to shadab once. what happened in the first game? he got a shocker of an lbw decision against him. And btw do you know that he was batting at a strike rate close to 100 in both games. this is the sr at which you are supposed to bat in middle overs. if he had gotten past 40 overs, his sr would have automatically increased. Moreover, what kind of promise has hurraira shown? He has an absolutely poor technique. any kind of swing will expose his technique in international level. he just stays on backfoot for too long
never have I once seen a guy who advocated for Imam ul Haq.

Imam ul haq is an international player who's played international games across the world, and since his 6 year of being mainstay in the team, most of his centuries have cone against weaker sides with His England century being an exception.

Since then he's lost form and fitness and was a total failure In the Afghanistan series, in asia cup and in the world cup with his weakness against the short ball still not being fixed, to top it off even in his prime he was consistently soft scoring and getting out on the 40th.

From 2023 onwards he was terrible in odi and utterly garbage in test which warranted a drop and this is from a player who has been in the circuit for 6 years vs someone like hurraira who has not made his international debut yet and does not have said experience atm.

Not only does Imam not represent international standards and is a joke to virtually every opener he international represents such as Phil Salt, Travis head, And even afghani openers like gurbaz, he has lost form and fitness.

He warranted a drop and a boot 100%, You've given a player 6 years of international experience and he hasn't changed at all since his 2018 days infact just like babar he's regressed beyond belief in international with zero improvement.

You're comparing a a guy who's utterly medicore in his 6+ years of experience and had refused to improve overall guy who's showing promise and while raw is eager to make his debut and improve and play according to modern standards?

Pakistani fans have zilch clue on how to build teams and how to adopt to a modern style of cricket and no wonder the nation is now decades behind even crapola teams like Bangladesh who wipe the floor with Pakistan 2 ways to sunday

Back