Where's the swing for Mohammad Amir?

I think if he is still below par after the Australian series, then he should definitely be shown the door. International cricket is not a platform where you are supposed to find your rhythm.

If he doesn't perform he has no business playing. He needs to be treated like just any other bowler and the excuses are falling short now, he has been playing regularly for a year.

I have no hope from Amir on flat phattas of Australia. If he can't do it the seaming conditions of New Zealand and England then he won't do it in Aistralia either. The likes of Warner must be licking his lips at the prospect of facing him.

If anyone saw Sohail Khan's over to Ross Taylor, that was some insane fast bowling, probably the best over by any Pakistani the whole innings..

I guarantee you if that was Amir doing that we would have all gone over the moon for that spell..

Its just Sohail Khan isn't the type of bowler who's given future ATG status for bowling so well.. or doesn't derive the kind of fandom Amir does

The only issue with Sohail is his poor fitness. A fully fit Sohail is more of a threat than Amir.

The only issue with Sohail is his poor fitness. A fully fit Sohail is more of a threat than Amir.
Pretty much.
Sohail Khan is a good bowler first up , but he is a big liability during 3rd/4th inning as of now.

Sohail Khan Span Mat Inns Overs Wkts Ave SR 5W
Overall Record 2009-2016 7 13 216.4 18 42.38 72.2 2
1st team innings 2009-2016 7 7 136.4 15 32.26 54.6 2
2nd team innings 2009-2016 6 6 80 3 93 160 0

What is Mohammed Amir averaging since his return? He was the most economical bowler yesterday, were there any dropped catches of him?

I am watching the highlights right now... he bowled a total of 6 overs, and then was taken off the attack.. why was he taken off the attack and Sohail Khan persisted with for 10 overs?

B/c Sohail is stiff as hell during his second spell.

I have no hope from Amir on flat phattas of Australia. If he can't do it the seaming conditions of New Zealand and England then he won't do it in Aistralia either. The likes of Warner must be licking his lips at the prospect of facing him.

Yea Amir hasn't been taking wickets; But he has by far been our most economical bowler. No way the likes of Warner and Smith will find it easy against him.

Not at all. The red balls are far more conducive to swing.

Dukes' and SG generally swing more than the red Kookaburra though.

"They claim and tests have proven that the white ball infact swings more than their traditional red balls. This is due to a polyurethane coating on top of the white-dyed leather to ensure that the ball does not get dirty quickly. This coating makes the ball smoother and changes its aerodynamics thereby assisting swing."- https://www.google.com/#q=does+white+ball+swing+more+than+red+ball

Yea Amir hasn't been taking wickets; But he has by far been our most economical bowler. No way the likes of Warner and Smith will find it easy against him.

Any point of being economical while you waste the new ball? Does economy bring you wickets?

"They claim and tests have proven that the white ball infact swings more than their traditional red balls. This is due to a polyurethane coating on top of the white-dyed leather to ensure that the ball does not get dirty quickly. This coating makes the ball smoother and changes its aerodynamics thereby assisting swing."- https://www.google.com/#q=does+white+ball+swing+more+than+red+ball

Any excuse to make Amir look like a champ, Sohail beat the bat of a batsman as many a times in over over what Amir did in his 19 over spell.. and supposedly Amir is a new ball bowler who gets no swing or seam of it

Interesting. I am going by what I see. The white ball rarely seems to swing for more than a couple of overs while the red ones always seem to swing quite a bit longer.

It does indeed because good economy means building pressure and building pressure brings false shots.

Not when half the deliveries you bowled are harmless outside the offstump medium pace candies that don't even induce a shot from the batsman

Its ridiculous how every Amir over is scrutinised just because he is not taking bucket loads of wickets.

Its ironic how people constantly moan about how people make excuses for Amir, yet these are the same people who will instantly start tearing into him for not producing magical spells.

Unless we find better fast bowlers than him, he will continue to play, its as simple as that. He is the best from our current crop of fast bowlers and has not even really got going. Those that are going on about how Sohail and Rahat are outperforming him need to look deeper than a few bits of commentary.

Firstly these bowlers are currently at their peak, whereas Amir has just come back from around 6 years out of the game. Despite this they are still similar to him in the wickets column and he is by far more economical than them both.

Secondly, and this has been mentioned a few times is the dropped catches. Not only do these have an effect on his average, they also build frustration and affect him mentally. It also prevents him from bowling to new batsman when they are most vulnerable.

Not when half the deliveries you bowled are harmless outside the offstump medium pace candies that don't even induce a shot from the batsman

Depends on how you look at it.

Btw these same "candies" got the better of Asad, Babar, Younis and Williamson.

Amir got only 2 deliveries in 6 overs to actually swing away, or do any movement of the 'seam' some ATG he is..

Amir is getting compared to GrandHomme now :) that only shows how far Amir has fallen

:facepalm:

Dude do you even read the whole thing before replying? I also mentioned Williamson.

And tbh its pretty evident now that you're an Amir hater. Got any bright ideas for his replacement?? Wahab?? Imran Khan??

Any point of being economical while you waste the new ball? Does economy bring you wickets?

Well it's better than opening the bowling with Rahat Ali which some people suggested. It's quite obvious that he is worse than Amir.

Don't understand....he was swinging beautifully against somerset before the England series.....

Haha.

Haters be like "but but but but Amir didn't swing the ball, let's drop him".

Yeah haters. No swing with an old ball.

Haha.

well he must take a 5fer in each inning so guess he is lagging there

It's not about the swing, where are the clouds! go get me some clouds!

200_s.gif

Well it's better than opening the bowling with Rahat Ali which some people suggested. It's quite obvious that he is worse than Amir.

If rahat had opened here he'd have a 5'fer.. its a travesty to be robbed off your bowling space for a guy who didn't bowl in 6 years and gun barrel straight.. it must be a frustrating sight to know you swing it better than the guy and still have to bowl first change

Haha.

Good bowling today. This thread is for amirs new ball swing and a lack of it.. Rahat couldve had a 5'fer here if Amir didnt take the new ball instead of him

If rahat had opened here he'd have a 5'fer.. its a travesty to be robbed off your bowling space for a guy who didn't bowl in 6 years and gun barrel straight.. it must be a frustrating sight to know you swing it better than the guy and still have to bowl first change
No because a couple of his wickets were lucky and you fail to look at his economy rate. He went for almost 4 an over.

No because a couple of his wickets were lucky and you fail to look at his economy rate. He went for almost 4 an over.

He was the most effective bowler of the 3.. he has the highest strike rate.. bowled the least over and picked up the most wickets.. He has been outperforming Amir for a while now.. whenever they have played together Rahat has always managed to pick up more wickets than Amir.. its nothing new here..

Oh and the dropped catch excuse is not there so people find some other way to make Amir superior to others.. Rahat bowled better than him with the old ball, Sohail bowled better with the new ball.. So Amir is either at the level of these two or inferior to one of them...

Ohhh so only when Amir gets a wicket its genuine right... See Amir is head and shoulders above the rest so whatever does will always be better to Rahat no matter what he does :))

Amir got Latham and Raval while Rahat got Watling and Astle.

Amir got Latham and Raval while Rahat got Watling and Astle.

So when Amir was getting tailenders in England.. did you count his wickets or the tailenders he got? Didn't Rahat get Root, Cook and Hales in his first spell of Lords Test? What did Amir do besides getting tailenders?

So when Amir was getting tailenders in England.. did you count his wickets or the tailenders he got? Didn't Rahat get Root, Cook and Hales in his first spell of Lords Test? What did Amir do besides getting tailenders?

Amir got Cook and Hales out too.

3/43, fine performance in defence of a puny total of 133. Yeah it's not quite 9/54, but give Amir a break. 3/43 is good. Some people are acting like he took 3/200

3/43, fine performance in defence of a puny total of 133. Yeah it's not quite 9/54, but give Amir a break. 3/43 is good. Some people are acting like he took 3/200

The topic is his new ball swing.. which he isn't able to generate.. should be used as a first change, he's a better bowler with the old balll than the new one

The topic is his new ball swing.. which he isn't able to generate.. should be used as a first change, he's a better bowler with the old balll than the new one

He's still a better option than Rahat.

Ok fair enough but it seems to me people are not sticking to the topic, talking about dropping him while his performance in this match has been more than acceptable.

people are expressing their bias against him. No one is interested in what he provides to the attack. Remember bowlers hunt in pairs or packs.

people are expressing their bias against him. No one is interested in what he provides to the attack. Remember bowlers hunt in pairs or packs.

The question is his new ball swing.. and why Rahat is being displaced to accomodate a bowler who doesn't swing/seam it..

My point regarding Amir has been his new ball swing... don't hate him as a bowler or what he brings to the side.. he's done really well today, but should he be persisted with the new ball when he's clearly wasting it?

If Amir is used first change that is fine I can accept that, but what he's putting on show is not good enough from a new ball bowler

The question is his new ball swing.. and why Rahat is being displaced to accomodate a bowler who doesn't swing/seam it..

you are saying this again and again in almost every other thread.

I think we should stop bashing him , all the overhype was unfair and now the excessive bashing is unfair. He is not an extraordinary bowler , like most pakistani bowlers he ia another one averaging in 30s.

I think it's not that simple. His return was better than expected. He moved the ball both ways in Asia Cup. Bowled well in T-20 WC. On both occassions he bowled fairly quick. Not sure what happened ever since.

Waqar Younis said Amir's banana swing is missing, there is something wrong with his new ball bowling, its just not moving back in..

This is from the post match analysis for day 3..

Don't understand....he was swinging beautifully against somerset before the England series.....

Think England tour dented his confidence. Could've been a different story if his catches had been taken. Was an important tour for him.

I still have hope that he will get better with time. Not only Somerset, but Asia Cup and FC cricket proved he still has it in him.

Wrist position is important but I think the reason our bowlers don't swing the new ball is they grip the ball too tightly. I posted my thoughts on this in a thread about the lack of swing for Pakistani bowlers generally.

[MENTION=135196]waleed88[/MENTION] your assessment thus far, look at all the premature comments above^^

Fantastic bowling in the first 3 or 4 overs.

That ball he bowled to Raval, which was pitched right up and swung away late, missed everything was an absolute beaut.

[MENTION=135196]waleed88[/MENTION] your assessment thus far, look at all the premature comments above^^

Very good first 2 overs.. 1st over was jaw droppingly good.. after the first 2 it was the same old stuff again..

Can't blame him though, he's looked the best of the lot

Wrist position is important but I think the reason our bowlers don't swing the new ball is they grip the ball too tightly. I posted my thoughts on this in a thread about the lack of swing for Pakistani bowlers generally.

The flick of the wrist is what Wasim bhai talks about, is missing..

Very good first 2 overs.. 1st over was jaw droppingly good.. after the first 2 it was the same old stuff again..

Can't blame him though, he's looked the best of the lot

He looked the best of the lot but he's not the best in Pakistan, Mohammad Asif is the real GOAT; he should have been invested in even if it was for the short term, would have been worth it given the overseas tours.

I think Amir beat Jeet Raval 4-5 times in the first over.. including the dropped chance..

and then got Latham on the last ball..

Second over Amir dropped a very lowww chance of Williamson off the last ball of his own over..

His 3rd over was tidy, but his last ball was again superb, he got it to move away from Williamson, beat him by swinging it away..

thats the summary of it

He looked the best of the lot but he's not the best in Pakistan, Mohammad Asif is the real GOAT; he should have been invested in even if it was for the short term, would have been worth it given the overseas tours.

True... Asif would've been great here

I think Amir beat Jeet Raval 4-5 times in the first over.. including the dropped chance..

and then got Latham on the last ball..

Second over Amir dropped a very lowww chance of Williamson off the last ball of his own over..

His 3rd over was tidy, but his last ball was again superb, he got it to move away from Williamson, beat him by swinging it away..

thats the summary of it

Looks like it was a repeat of his first over in the Asia cup against India. I missed it due to timing issues.

Anyone got highlights?

I would rate this over from Amir as good as Sohail Khan's over to Ross Taylor in the first test match.. if anyone had highlights of that, he bowled an impeccable line in that over after getting Williamson off the first ball

So on a lush green mamba,with a new ball, He could only bowl effectively for 2 overs and it's a celebration here, speaks volume of how average Amir is. He is being considered in the leauge of Starc & Steyn. Forger these 2 greats, Even Broad who is totally out of form was bowling dangerously in India in last match. a newbie Rabada is performing amazingly in Australia. I think the obsession for Amir is now over the top.

A spinner is not being judged by his performance on minefields but a faster is celebrated for average performance on green mamba? Selective bias?

So on a lush green mamba,with a new ball, He could only bowl effectively for 2 overs and it's a celebration here, speaks volume of how average Amir is. He is being considered in the leauge of Starc & Steyn. Forger these 2 greats, Even Broad who is totally out of form was bowling dangerously in India in last match. a newbie Rabada is performing amazingly in Australia. I think the obsession for Amir is now over the top.

A spinner is not being judged by his performance on minefields but a faster is celebrated for average performance on green mamba? Selective bias?

Amir is still one of the best new ball bowlers around.

Pak posters are naturally biased towards Amir. He is their hero and the best young talent they got. The hype is understandable. Amir has been decent at best on flat beds. On green tracks, to me he is Performing no where close to the hype he is receiving. He is no Akram who was pitch agnostic.

Last edited:

We've mentioned it plenty of times that it was only 2 overs that generated some swing, but since then everyone has looked thoroughly mediocre, and this is quite an alarming situation, since none of the bowlers look like they can bowl the opposition out.. NZ look in cruise control.. Imran Khan was given alot of hope since no one liked Rahat, but he didn't trouble the batsman besides being economical

80% of this thread is Amir bashing where did you get the feeling he is being hailed as the next Steyn people are actually criticizing him here that on a green mamba all he did was move the ball for couple of overs

80% of this thread is Amir bashing where did you get the feeling he is being hailed as the next Steyn people are actually criticizing him here that on a green mamba all he did was move the ball for couple of overs

It seems a general sentiment, Amir is no doubt a good bowler, I think Junaid Khan deserves a chance. Inform Junaid and Wahab will make life easier for Amir. They can collectively build pressure and reap rich dividends.

Amir has definitely got some technical issue regarding the point of release , the reason he gets very late swing is also the reason he doesn't get any after few overs.

He's been ok. A few more matches like this and he will lose his status as undropable. Rahat, aamir, Sohail are equal at the moment

Amir is still one of the best new ball bowlers around.

Pak posters are naturally biased towards Amir. He is their hero and the best young talent they got. The hype is understandable. Amir has been decent at best on flat beds. On green tracks, to me he is Performing no where close to the hype he is receiving. He is no Akram who was pitch agnostic.

Where is the hype? All I see is criticism.

He's been ok. A few more matches like this and he will lose his status as undropable. Rahat, aamir, Sohail are equal at the moment

Thats not quite true. while neither are undropable at the moment at least Aaimr has in his favour a shrewd cricketing (bowling brain) and a very fit agile body. I think with a few adjustments he can learn and improve and possibly be back to where he was 6 years ago when he was bowling 90+ and swinging it both ways in Uk in 2010 (after only swinging it one way in the preceding series in NZ and Oz)

Rahat on the other hand is wayward and a poor fielder and the less said about his batting the better. Even if his bowling improves markedly he will still not be a certain starter. He is lucky that he is currently the best bench warmer but that will change when the new bunch of players are inducted into the squad. He in not comparable to Aamir.

Sohail looks like Frankestein, only not as dashing. Its a matter of time before he succumbs to injury. Clearly he is bowling well within his abilities and as a right armer who can hold a bat he offers a lot but i think he will be better off limiting himself to being a future all rounder and strictly medium pacer. Though i fear his best bowling days are behind him. He is not comparable to Aamir either. They both make good numbers 9 and 10. We need a decent no 11 who is an outright wicket taker ala McGrath or Walsh or even Steyn, Anderson or Asif. Unfortunately Wahab will never reach those dizzying heights.

I think the coach and management will be searching hard for a good seamer.

Actually its true he doesn't get conventional outswing like Rahat Ali instead the ball swing unorthodox at the very last stage for him and once the ball scuff up just a weebit , poof the swing is gone. More likely a technical flaw at the release stage , Remember guys Amir of 2010 had a conventional swing and a reverse swing when the ball gets old , he was not swinging the new ball late.

Last edited:
Back