Who is England's greatest ever ODI batsman?

Who is England´s greatest ODI batsman?

• Total voters

DHONI183

A departed friend who will live in our memories fo
Runs
Post of the Week
As the thread title says it, it relates to ODI cricket alone. It was certainly not any difficult list to make and below are the names that I have come up with.....

Marcus Trescothick - a personal favourite of the ones I have seen from England. A superb ODI batsman! Is their leading century-maker in the format with 12.

Kevin Pietersen - you simply can´t ignore this man in any format of the game. Despite the fact that his form has faded away little in comparison to his first two years or so, an average of 41.95 at a strike-rate of 86.84 still make for a very, very impressive reading. Only in the second series of his career, the man fell just one run short of equaling the record for most runs in a bilateral ODI series as he made 454 with three hundreds and a fifty in and against South Africa. In terms of innings, he is the joint second-fastest batsman to reach 2000 ODI runs.

Allan Lamb - okay, don´t know whether it is only me but I have a feeling that the guy is under-rated. He has played two of the best innings´ you will see, which are highlighted below.....

67 not out off 68 balls - took Courtney Walsh to the cleaners:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65092.html

77 not out off 102 balls - the most noteworthy thing is that 18 runs were required off the last over and he did it with a ball to go:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65411.html

Had an impressive average of 41.50 against Pakistan and 35.50 against the West Indies.

Graham Gooch - can´t describe much about him. Statistics aren´t that bad. Maybe people who have seen him can comment more......

Since it wasn´t that difficult to short-list the names, I am already adding a poll to this thread.

Names that miss out are.....

Paul Collingwood - currently England´s leading run-getter in ODIs, but apart from his two magnificent innings´ in the two finals of the CB series 2007, there isn´t much to write home about. Personally, was a fan of this guy´s fighting attitude.

Andrew Flintoff - as all-rounder definitely, but not quite as batsman alone, despite a strike-rate that touches the 90-mark.

Eoin Morgan - will make it very soon given the talent and skills, but only 2656 runs (1915 of those for England) kept me back from adding his name to the list. Maybe in a couple of years......

One guy who I feel will be up there quite soon is Alastair Cook, given how he has transformed himself into a dependable opener. Slow scoring did seem to be bit of a problem, but not after what we have seen of him ever since being given the captaincy. Just under a year ago he scored two consecutive centuries to follow it up with an 80 against Pakistan in the UAE which played an integral part in whitewashing them 4-0.

So, please vote away!

Edit:

Nick Knight´s name is now added to the poll. Please see post #27 for details.

Edit:

A number of names added, including the one who missed out initially, as is stated above. Please see post #48 for details.

Last edited:
Hard to look beyond Pietersen. But he doesn't care about ODI cricket. I guess it's an English thing - just play test series and all of them are in preparation for the next Ashes.

Cook has improved a lot in ODIs as well, classy player. Doesn't have the 5th gear like LP but is still a very solid performer. KP has deteriorated as an ODI player actually with his average dropping to 40 from 50. That's a massive fall. I rate Cook higher currently.

Tresco was the best. He had the defense of Cook and the attacking instincts of KP.

Trescothick. awesome guy, and a great batsmen. One of my favourite cricketer's that have played for england.

I voted for KP, he probably is slightly ahead of Lamb; but Allen Lamb was an outstanding ODI player. I could see very little of him, but he was at his best against the WIs.

No one can look beyond KP ......

KP
Cook
Allan lamb ( quality of bowling that he faced)
Fairbrother ( found gaps )
Trscothick ( MR timer)

Allan Lamb. The guy was class and considering the fact that he played in tough batting conditions and some superb bowlers of his era

English dont produce good cricketer let alone odi greats.

They invented the game only to be thrashed time and time again by different cricketers in different eras.

The story start from Bradman and continouse to different generations against players like Waugh, Warne, McGrath, Waqar, Wasim, Azharudin, Dravid, Lara, Richards, Holding, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh,Dhoni, Ponting, Fazal Mahmood, Inzi, Kumble, Murli, Jayasuriya, Amla, Smith and now they are being thrashed by even Raina.

In short everyone thrashed them. The are greatset minnow of the world. Only recently the have gained some heights but with a lot of lows like 3-0 in dubai, 2-0 loss to saffies at home.

You should consider adding thread about zimbawe players like heath streak, Flowers etc as they are far better than these overrated bunch of players.

They invented the game only to be thrashed time and time again by different cricketers in different eras.

The story start from Bradman and continouse to different generations against players like Waugh, Warne, McGrath, Waqar, Wasim, Azharudin, Dravid, Lara, Richards, Holding, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh,Dhoni, Ponting, Fazal Mahmood, Inzi, Kumble, Murli, Jayasuriya, Amla, Smith and now they are being thrashed by even Raina.

In short everyone thrashed them. The are greatset minnow of the world. Only recently the have gained some heights but with a lot of lows like 3-0 in dubai, 2-0 loss to saffies at home.

You should consider adding thread about zimbawe players like heath streak, Flowers etc as they are far better than these overrated bunch of players.

This is one of the most ill-informed posts that we have seen.

England has the second best W/L ratio in Test cricket to the Aussies.

This just embarrassing for England, *their* "best ODI player" is not even theirs in the first place. Needless to say i never really had much respect for English cricket. Produce your own talent then we can talk!!.

I love this post.

:)))

Hard to look beyond Pietersen. But he doesn't care about ODI cricket. I guess it's an English thing - just play test series and all of them are in preparation for the next Ashes.

it cant be an "English thing" coz he's not English in the 1st place.

This just embarrassing for England, *their* "best ODI player" is not even theirs in the first place. Needless to say i never really had much respect for English cricket. Produce your own talent then we can talk!!.

The ECB produced KP. He was an offspinner and tailender in SA cricket. Notts turned him into the world-class batter you see today.

This is one of the most ill-informed posts that we have seen.

England has the second best W/L ratio in Test cricket to the Aussies.

Obvious troll is obvious, James.

The ECB produced KP. He was an offspinner and tailender in SA cricket. Notts turned him into the world-class batter you see today.

No they did not, Kevin was 20 when he left SA, he learnt all the nitty greety staff in SA. Yeah sure he realised his potential in England, but SA made him. Its like the Cesc Fabregas Barcelona Arsenal fiasco. Look Barca trained him for 6 years and left for Arsenal when he was 16. Are you going to tell me that Barca dont get credit for training him for 6 years? KP spent 20 years in SA, and you want to debate? Really? Bottom line is he is a South African why havent Notts produced another KP if they are so good? English players are mediocre and thats the bottom line.

By the way, this is the first time I have ever added a poll on PP:).

I agree.

The top five would be something like

Tresco
Knight (100 ODIs; averaged 41 in an era of good bowling)
KP
Lamb
Fairbrother

Uncle, thanks for your post:).

Please read below what I stated about Eoin Morgan in the opening post.....

.... Eoin Morgan - will make it very soon given the talent and skills, but only 2656 runs (1915 of those for England) kept me back from adding his name to the list. Maybe in a couple of years......

Similarly, Neil Fairbrother only played 75 ODIs and scored just 92 runs above the 2000-mark.

Nick Knight´s name is now added to the poll. Was unfair to miss him out. 3637 runs at an average of 40.41 isn´t bad I suppose.

It looks as if I should really have done my researches on Graham Gooch. Only one vote so far for him.....

Paul Collingwood has scored the most runs for England in ODIs.

tumblr_mgqfx9dtJd1rlpjvso1_500.gif

LOL bitter much? People just can't handle the fact that England are the best team in the world, and miles better than any Asian team. It burns them up inside, they can't sleep at night and thus have to constantly harp back to the 'good old days'. :))) :)))

Last edited:
No they did not, Kevin was 20 when he left SA, he learnt all the nitty greety staff in SA.

Except how to bat, which he learned at Notts.

Its like the Cesc Fabregas Barcelona Arsenal fiasco. Look Barca trained him for 6 years and left for Arsenal when he was 16. Are you going to tell me that Barca dont get credit for training him for 6 years?

Straw man is made of straw.

KP spent 20 years in SA, and you want to debate? Really? Bottom line is he is a South African why havent Notts produced another KP if they are so good?

Richard Hadlee was a mediocre bowler until Notts turned him into an ATG.

Uncle, thanks for your post:).

Please read below what I stated about Eoin Morgan in the opening post.....

Aye, he's obviously got great skill in the short games. It's just a question of staying fit and he'll get a lot of ODI runs, I think.

It looks as if I should really have done my researches on Graham Gooch. Only one vote so far for him.....

A lot of Indians rate him because of his century in the semi-final of the WC '87, I think.

England´s greatest ODI batsman.....

KP is their best batsman in any format, Cook might have better stats but KP produces magic when needed irrespective of the pitch condition.

LOL bitter much? People just can't handle the fact that England are the best team in the world, and miles better than any Asian team. It burns them up inside, they can't sleep at night and thus have to constantly harp back to the 'good old days'. :))) :)))

2nid443.jpg

Pg-60s-whitewash-reu.jpg

sefwrtrwet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Straw man is made of straw.

The weird thing is,
Nottingham hasn't turned any "English" player into an ATG.
There just isn't any raw talent in the English players.

I think people will vote KP on a poll. KP got a lot of fans at PP (me including :p)

..... Allan Lamb - okay, don´t know whether it is only me but I have a feeling that the guy is under-rated. He has played two of the best innings´ you will see, which are highlighted below.....

67 not out off 68 balls - took Courtney Walsh to the cleaners:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65092.html

77 not out off 102 balls - the most noteworthy thing is that 18 runs were required off the last over and he did it with a ball to go:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65411.html

Had an impressive average of 41.50 against Pakistan and 35.50 against the West Indies......

Here are two YouTube videos relating to the aforementioned innings´:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHZBpl296MY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lRe3-fZZ2I

Brilliant stuff:bow::14:!

Dude you are embarrassing yourself. SA has the toughest conditons to bat on in the world. England just happened to be the best place for to improve that part of his game. He is a South African, a South African product, that wont change because you wish it could. Its a fact born in Kwa-Zulu Natal, unless the is such a province/state in England. Me thinks not.

LOL, why do you want to take credit when its not due. The truth is we have no idea why other players fulfil their potential and others dont. In other words it can never be scientificaly proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Hadlee would have been a journey man if he never joined Notts.

You still have not answered my question if Notts and the English system was so good, then why have they been producing rubbish players for centuries?

No fairbrother or graham thorpe? what sort of stupid thread or poll is this.

Both players i have mentioned had ability to construct an inns, pick the gaps, play all types of bowling and play match winning inns. I always rated fairbrother very highly as an ODI player and would probably regard him as englands best ever.

Dude you are embarrassing yourself. SA has the toughest conditons to bat on in the world. England just happened to be the best place for to improve that part of his game.

Oh, well if SA conditions are the hardest to bat on, that'll explain why Graeme Hick (test average 31 overall) averaged 49 there in Donald and Pollock's time.

Fact is that their wickets are quite similar to the English ones, which is one reason why England won there two tours ago, and drew on the last tour.

You still have not answered my question if Notts and the English system was so good, then why have they been producing rubbish players for centuries?

I would answer the question if it were sensible. All countries produce rubbish players. However, England have won at least one test series in every country in the world in this century, and not even the great Aussie team managed that.

Dude you are embarrassing yourself. SA has the toughest conditons to bat on in the world. England just happened to be the best place for to improve that part of his game. He is a South African, a South African product, that wont change because you wish it could. Its a fact born in Kwa-Zulu Natal, unless the is such a province/state in England. Me thinks not.

LOL, why do you want to take credit when its not due. The truth is we have no idea why other players fulfil their potential and others dont. In other words it can never be scientificaly proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Hadlee would have been a journey man if he never joined Notts.

Whom do you support then ? India, Pakistan.. ? You score a few victories against England and you behave as if your team has been ruling cricket since times immemorial. Are you aware of the overall win/loss ratios for Eng, India, Pak, SL ..or the team you follow, in test cricket? :afridi

Last edited:
No Thorpe or Fairbrother in the list.

Those, who mostly are voting for KP, probably haven't seen these two and gooch bat. I think this is should be the order for the best ODI batsmen England has produced (Robert can add more to this):

1) Thorpe
2) Fairbrother
3) Gooch
4) The rest....

Last edited:
Whom do you support then ? India, Pakistan.. ? You score a few victories against England and you behave as if your team has been ruling cricket since times immemorial. Are you aware of the overall win/loss ratios for Eng, India, Pak, SL ..or the team you follow, in test cricket? :afridi

Of course i am aware of England's win/loss ratio, and guess what? Its inferior to my country's thats right. You see my country did not participate for over 20 years in cricket due to isolation. Yet we have produced the kind of cricketers England would dream of. If you are smart it should be easy to know who i follow, its not rocket science really.

Of course i am aware of England's win/loss ratio, and guess what? Its inferior to my country's thats right. You see my country did not participate for over 20 years in cricket due to isolation. Yet we have produced the kind of cricketers England would dream of. If you are smart it should be easy to know who i follow, its not rocket science really.

Zimbabwe?

No fairbrother or graham thorpe? what sort of stupid thread or poll is this.

What nice and polite words! I am truly humbled by this:).

Both players i have mentioned had ability to construct an inns, pick the gaps, play all types of bowling and play match winning inns. I always rated fairbrother very highly as an ODI player and would probably regard him as englands best ever.

Regarding Neil Fairbrother, I had already given the reason, which is that he had only played 75 ODIs.

As for Graham Thorpe, sometimes names escape your mind as I had to rely on my memory, the list of leading run-getters (century-makers) and highest averages, and it is not entirely my fault that I didn´t go for him. I had a pretty sleepless night before checking early today that the guy hadn´t even scored a hundred.

Anyways, given that the main discussion is now the options given in thr poll instead of who the best of them all was, I have now added a number of names to the poll, including these two and the ones who I said miss out in the opening post.

Personally, stuck between Marcus Trescothick and Allan Lamb. Time to toss a coin to decide who to go for:13:.......?

I had to really think about this one. It's not that I don't watch ODIs at all, it's just that I don't watch as many of them as I do Tests, and those I do watch tend to fade totally from my memory with the exception of World Cup matches. I therefore had to look hard at the stats.

KP? Trescothick? Lamb? It's possible to make a very strong case for all of them.

If I had to pick one I suppose I would go for KP.

Lamb may have had to face better bowlers than KP has had to for much of his career, but back then fielding was not as good, and tactics were a bit naive. In fact, one day cricket (being a relatively new format) has probably progressed tactically as much over the last 25 years as first class cricket has over the last 125!

KP has both a higher average than Trescothick and a slightly better strike rate over more matches, so I suppose he gets my (reluctant) vote by a whisker.

I had to really think about this one. It's not that I don't watch ODIs at all, it's just that I don't watch as many of them as I do Tests, and those I do watch tend to fade totally from my memory with the exception of World Cup matches. I therefore had to look hard at the stats.

KP? Trescothick? Lamb? It's possible to make a very strong case for all of them.

If I had to pick one I suppose I would go for KP.

Lamb may have had to face better bowlers than KP has had to for much of his career, but back then fielding was not as good, and tactics were a bit naive. In fact, one day cricket (being a relatively new format) has probably progressed tactically as much over the last 25 years as first class cricket has over the last 125!

KP has both a higher average than Trescothick and a slightly better strike rate over more matches, so I suppose he gets my (reluctant) vote by a whisker.

Thank you sir:)! A very interesting post.

England ODI all time XI:-

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Buttler(wkt)
Flintoff
Botham(c)
Gough
Swann
Archer

12th Man- M Tescrothik

England ODI all time XI:-

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Buttler(wkt)
Flintoff
Botham(c)
Gough
Swann
Archer

12th Man- M Tescrothik

I doubt that ITB would suffer being down at #8. Neither would I have him as skipper. Give it to Root.

I would like to see Hick in there.

Archer has played just ten ODIs so I would get Anderson instead. Maybe Bob Willis also.

For old timers, It will always be Graham Thorpe, that is why he is their batting coach in ODI format

I may be heavily biased, but I think Trescothick would have been as deadly, if not more so, than Roy and Bairstow are now at the top of the order.

Gooch saheb for me. Sheer class and an incredibly difficult batsman to dismiss.

Marcus trescothik

I rate him higher than kp. Kp with all his talent was bit conservative in odi cricket compared to his test cricket heroics.

A bit surprised that nobody mentions Eoin Morgan. This man is the highest ODI run scorer in England's history. Also, Joe Root is very underrated.

I rate Morgan and Root higher than KP and Trescothik.

I would currently rate KP, not just in ODIs but overall for England and especially in the limited overs format (England would not have won the World T20 without him).

Having said that, Root and Morgan could potentially surpass him. The best bet would be Root, who had a very good CT, an ok-ish WC but he has another one under his belt and exceptional bilateral series results, especially against India.

Big KP fan so always thot KP was the best. But now my vote goes to Jos Butler - world cup final game changing 50 in serious circumstances. Overall average of 41, strike rate of 120, close to 150 games; he's right up there now.

Tie between Buttler and Root in future. KP wasn't even a top ODI batsman in 2000s, I followed his entire ODI career. He started brilliantly but fizzled out, nothing exceptional. Trescothick was much better, he is currently the GOAT English batsman in ODIs until Buttler and Root surpass him.

Jason Roy and Jos Buttler have to be up there. In fact right now, Jason Roy is one of the biggest match winners in ODI cricket. If he comes off, England will more than likely win the game.

Who is England's greatest LOI batsmen?

Is it Trescrothik or Pietersen or Root or Morgan or Buttler or Bairstow?

Last edited:
current team is their best ever side. No doubt. But best player has got to be Pietersen in all formats. No just odi. He was just that good.

currently there isn't any one particularly great odi batsman. Their depth in batting and bowling with all rounders is what makes them a formidable team. The balance they have inn The team with the addition of stokes makes the difference.

stokes is their best ever odi player of all time.

Allan lamb
Marcus Trescothick
KP
Neil Fairbrother

Last edited:
The ones who spring to my mind in 2020:

Lamb
Fairbrother
Pietersen
Morgan
Root

If I had to choose.... can’t really.

Bairstow is the greatest as far as I'm concerned. He's been absolutely devastating at the top of the order and having seen him in IPL, I know how good he is.

Shout out to Fresco, KP, Butler, Root, Morgan who are all good but Bairstow combined good qualities of all these batsmen to make a near perfect ODI opener, almost ag par with guys like Sharma, Warner

Back