Who is the best player of swing/seam bowling?

Haz95

T20I Debutant
Runs
People are always saying 'the real test is vs SA in SA' and other nonsense like that but when something like facing Rehman And Ajmal in UAE isn't(for a non subcontinental batsman). So swing lovers, who's the best player of swing you've ever seen and who is currently? :wasim :asif
out of any of the test playing nations...

Last edited:
Cheteshwar Pujara

What? Apart from those two matches in South Africa earlier this year, Pujara has failed whenever he has come up against swing.

The best players of swing for me currently would be ABD and Amla.

Well no-one has really mastered the art of batting against swing or seam but if I was to pick player's who I feel could stand up and succeed (not all the time) would have to be AB, Amla and Clarke.

What? Apart from those two matches in South Africa earlier this year, Pujara has failed whenever he has come up against swing.

they don't have to play the best in the business :steyn

I'd say Clarke.but no one stand out.swing bowling is hard to play for most

Lol.abdv and amla were playing indian trundlers whereas pujara was playing steyn and philander who are currently best pair of swing and seem bowling.

they don't have to play the best in the business :steyn

I'd say Clarke.but no one stand out.swing bowling is hard to play for most

This isn't much of a problem when people rate Ponting higher than Lara or Sachin. For all we know, ABD would have smashed Steyn for 6 sixes had they played on opposite sides. These two also play most of their cricket on the most swing friendly surfaces on the world.

Playing in South Africa goes against their fast bowlers but in favor of their batsmen.

Lol.abdv and amla were playing indian trundlers whereas pujara was playing steyn and philander who are currently best pair of swing and seem bowling.

They've played close to 80 matches with most being in South Africa not the slow, low pitches of India.

I wouldn't gauge anything from that series, the pitches just did not look South African.

They've played close to 80 matches with most being in South Africa not the slow, low pitches of India.

I wouldn't gauge anything from that series, the pitches just did not look South African.
Why can't people accept that his 153 was no mean feat...when this guy gets going, he scores hugeee.
But he does need to play a bit more in friendly conditions, the verdict will be the next test against NZ...

Why can't people accept that his 153 was no mean feat...when this guy gets going, he scores hugeee.
But he does need to play a bit more in friendly conditions, the verdict will be the next test against NZ...

So six matches outside the subcon is enough to label him the best player of swing? Not even considering the fact that he failed in more than half of these tests?

You should not just check the scores. You must watch Pujara play too - he looks very confident while playing fast bowling as well as swing. He rarely gives away his wicket easily and most of the occasions he got out to peaches. The first time Pujara was in SA at Durban, he did not score much (19 and 10) but he played out more deliveries than most other Indian batsmen who played in that match, and he looked very solid in defence. Though his contributions were little in terms of runs in that match, he shared a crucial stand with Laxman when India batsmen were falling like nine pins, which turned out to be important in that low scoring match.

You should not just check the scores. You must watch Pujara play too - he looks very confident while playing fast bowling as well as swing. He rarely gives away his wicket easily and most of the occasions he got out to peaches. The first time Pujara was in SA at Durban, he did not score much (19 and 10) but he played out more deliveries than most other Indian batsmen who played in that match, and he looked very solid in defence. Though his contributions were little in terms of runs in that match, he shared a crucial stand with Laxman when India batsmen were falling like nine pins, which turned out to be important in that low scoring match.

Once again, is that enough to label him the best player of swing because that is what this thread is about. Pujara is a good player, I know that.

Who is the best player of Swing/Seam bowling

Yeah thats why i said we will see what happens in the second test in nz.... And i also asked who were the best ever too... Cheers justcrazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah thats why i said we will see what happens in the second test in nz.... And i also asked who were the best ever too... Cheers justcrazy

Doing well or not well in the second test won't prove anything. He has played too little cricket so far.

I do rate him very high but he needs to play more cricket to get rated as the best in any categories when we are talking about the whole world involving all batsmen.

Doing well or not well in the second test won't prove anything. He has played too little cricket so far.

I do rate him very high but he needs to play more cricket to get rated as the best in any categories when we are talking about the whole world involving all batsmen.
Every legend that's watched him bat would say he's the only subcontinental currently who could succeed to be Dravid level.
Tho he is still untested, agree with that

Pujara will be the best Test batsman in the world in 2 years.

I will name him based on my foresight.

This isn't much of a problem when people rate Ponting higher than Lara or Sachin. For all we know, ABD would have smashed Steyn for 6 sixes had they played on opposite sides. These two also play most of their cricket on the most swing friendly surfaces on the world.

Playing in South Africa goes against their fast bowlers but in favor of their batsmen.

lol I know who I'd bet in a contest of AB/Amla v Steyn.

have they even done well against Anderson in swinging conditions?I know Amla got a 300 but that was a road

I know who I'd bet in a contest of AB/Amla v Steyn.

Steyn by some margin.

People don't realize that how huge advantage you have if you don't have to face the only ATG bowler playing international cricket.

Sachin, Inzamam and Arvinda Desilva from past. Currently, Kohli and i have no one else to be honest.

Mazoor scored a HUNDRED vs SOUTH AFRICA WHICH HAD BOTH OF THEM

Currently it's no one. They are all rubbish the moment the ball starts moving around. This is what happens when most of the pitches that are played on become flat.

In the past Dravid, Gooch.

Who is the best player of Swing/Seam bowling?

Misbah can play it but he doesn't dominate it

Misbah can play it but he doesn't dominate it

Nobody dominates swing bowling really.

Everyone gets out to it. Just some have a better defense then others. Misbah has probably the best.

lol I know who I'd bet in a contest of AB/Amla v Steyn.

have they even done well against Anderson in swinging conditions?I know Amla got a 300 but that was a road

It wasn't a road and he scored a century at Lords as well. Amla also has a superb 196 against the Aussies which won them the match and scored a superb hundred in that 99, 47 all-out games as well. ABD has a good record against them as well.

Misbah doesn't play the swinging ball too well. Younis and Shafiq are probably the best out of Pakistan at the moment.

All pakistanis struggle against swing. I have never known one who does't

^ Younis is really good if he curbs his desire of fishing outside the off stump.

The best innings against swing that I have seen in the last few years were those of Smith and Amla in the game where Australia were bowled out for 40 odd and the South Africans were bowled out for 99. Fantastic efforts especially when they scored at a SR of 70 and 80 respectively.

Moyo maybe he has a an exceptional record in England where the ball swings the most

Lol at Misbah if he played in England in swinging conditions he'd get exposed

Nobody dominates swing bowling really.

Everyone gets out to it. Just some have a better defense then others. Misbah has probably the best.

Amla and AB have both done it more than once... Amlas triple and 196 were beastly... But no1 destroys it like viv, gilchrist or calmer guys like dravid, moyo too

In my opinion, it would be Clarke, ABCD or Amla.

Pujara is new but in due course of time will overtake them.

The greatest player of swing in the recent times is Rahul Dravid.

In fact, you can argue he was a touch better than Sachin too in that department.

In fact, very few in the cricket era can be called as better players of swing than Dravid.

Personally I didn't see anyone but maybe someone from the past generations.

In my opinion, it would be Clarke, ABCD or Amla.

Pujara is new but in due course of time will overtake them.

The greatest player of swing in the recent times is Rahul Dravid.

In fact, you can argue he was a touch better than Sachin too in that department.

In fact, very few in the cricket era can be called as better players of swing than Dravid.

Personally I didn't see anyone but maybe someone from the past generations.

Is that why he averaged around 30 in the haven of swing bowling, South Africa?

It's impossible to be a good player of seam because it is not predictable. Playing high quality swing bowling is not an acquired art its merely down to luck if the batsman survives. I guess you could say players who leave the ball well when it's swinging are good player of swing.

Wrong.

SA is the haven of bouncy pitches with seam movement. Dravid always struggled there.

Eng is the haven of swing bowling.

Dravid averages crazy there.

Even played a rampaging James Anderson well at the twilight of his career.

Played well in NZ too.

I think Cook could be the best player of Swing bowling.

He is SO NOT the best player of swing.

Bring back Asif and Amir and Cook is dead.

Evn an in form Bhuvi will take out Cook.

Swing is NOT his forte.

Taking nothing away from Cook, all his crazy scores have come against opposition when the bowlers were either out of form or were bad.

Ashes - hilfy, Siddle, Johnson were a mess then
India - Ashwin was a mess. So Ojha had to do all the work

Clarke, Amla, ABCD do well even when opposition is in full flow

South African pitches offer both seam and swing which is why they are usually hard to bat on.
There is movement through the air and off the pitch.

Dravid was a bit suspect against bounce especially against express fast bowling. Both Sachin and Laxman were good against bounce compared to Dravid, while Laxman was not so good against swing. Tendulkar had the best of two worlds - bounce and swing.

Since Dravid was not an aggressive batsman while making lower scores, his averages took a hit in SA as well as Australia. In many knocks played in SA, he got out before he got his eye in, and Dravid usually does not score much in the first 50 delivery he faces. But he was damn good against swing, just check his record in England.

Dravid in England 2011 is one of the best performances against swing bowling i've ever seen.

Dravid was a bit suspect against bounce especially against express fast bowling. Both Sachin and Laxman were good against bounce compared to Dravid, while Laxman was not so good against swing. Tendulkar had the best of two worlds - bounce and swing.

Since Dravid was not an aggressive batsman while making lower scores, his averages took a hit in SA as well as Australia. In many knocks played in SA, he got out before he got his eye in, and Dravid usually does not score much in the first 50 delivery he faces. But he was damn good against swing, just check his record in England.

Perfectly put.

Then the answer for best player of swing and seam bowling goes to Sachin.

Ponting was amazing too.

Lara was a bit suspect against swing.

But he was the best in the world against spin. Even better than Sachin.

Perfectly put.

Then the answer for best player of swing and seam bowling goes to Sachin.

Ponting was amazing too.

Lara was a bit suspect against swing.

But he was the best in the world against spin. Even better than Sachin.

So who is the best right now

From the current lot, ABD, Amla, Clarke and Misbah.

There's a reason why Misbah averages highest in the world in most seam/swing friendly conditions, against top bowling. (ODIs).

What the hell you are talking about?
Kohli is really poor against swing bowling.

Yes, he messed up.

Neither Inzi nor Kohli are the best against swing.

He isn't poor. Anyone who can score 100 and 95 in Joberg in his first test in SA is NOT poor.

DeSilva I heard was damn good.

There's a reason why Misbah averages highest in the world in most seam/swing friendly conditions, against top bowling. (ODIs).

Tests is a whole different picture.

Dravid outperformed Sachin in ODI's in SA but everyone only remembers his failure in tests (and rightly so).

Tests is where we judge.

Lol, some people really don't know anything about cricket.
Just quit the sport, I mean do something else in life... Misbah one of the 4 best against swing bowling in the world...

If we go by the ODI logic, then Dhoni is the best player. He rarely gets out in ODI's no matter how much it swings.

In tests, even the lamest swing bowler can get him out.

I think Kevin Pietersen. And Kohli. In the current era.

Re: Who is the best player of Swing/Seam bowling?

None other then Misbah ul-Haq.

When has Misbah ever played in swinging conditions against a good attack England is the place where the ball swings the most Misbah is lucky he hasn't played there only a few SC batsman can play well in swinging conditions such as Moyo Dravid Zaheer Abbas or Tendu

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Why has no one said Moyo against swing bowling he has a very good record in NZ and ENG he struggled on bouncy wickets in SA and AUS but in swinging conditions he was one of the best from the SC

Clarke is said to best player of swing bowling in current era,however for me it AB

While Dravid did exceedingly well against Anderson, he was all at sea against Wasim (arguably the greatest swing bowler ever) . So i don't think you can call him the greatest ever against swing.

This is the first video that pops up when you search 'Dravid swing' on youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlILHkJakv8

Re: Who is the best player of Swing/Seam bowling?

While Dravid did exceedingly well against Anderson, he was all at sea against Wasim (arguably the greatest swing bowler ever) . So i don't think you can call him the greatest ever against swing.

This is the first video that pops up when you search 'Dravid swing' on youtube -

What a bowler

The greatest is bit too much but clips like above can be found for any player. You take their career sample size to judge.

Personally, Dravid is the top 2-3 batsmen I have seen against swing in the last 20 years.

The greatest is bit too much but clips like above can be found for any player. You take their career sample size to judge.

Personally, Dravid is the top 2-3 batsmen I have seen against swing in the last 20 years.

Ok, maybe I am wrong.

I am wrong.

Indian Willow explained why Sachin is better.

Plus I NEVER said Dravid is better than yesteryears cricketers.

Jack Hobbs is clearly rated the best batsman in treacherous pitches.

Can you tell me someone who was clearly better than Dravid once he debuted?

Maybe I missed someone.

Yes, anyone can find any batsman struggling aginst swing.

Great players of swing are rated high cos swing is DAMN hard to play.

Its not going to click all the time.

Last edited:
Back