Who is the greatest Test all-rounder of this generation?

When we talk about Test cricket so no one comes to mind other than Jaque Kallis.

true ATG Test all rounder.

It is highly disrespectful to call Jadeja two steps below Imran as a bowler. Jadeja has been an outstanding match-winner with the ball.

He has played a huge role in establishing the 2015-2021 Indian team as the GOAT Asian Test team in history.

Jadeja in the last 5 years & 30 Tests has averaged 46 with the bat and 26 with the ball, and 16 of these 30 Tests have been outside Asia.

This is a staggering record. A peak all-round performance that puts him in the pantheons of legendary all-rounders.
Failed in SA and nz though.
Imran never had any weaknesses or holes in his record.
Also he has a very average record in England.
It's Asia, w.indies and Australia where he has done well.

Now people are trolling.

I mean I think Imran is a tad overrated on this forum.

But Jadeja vs Imran is not a comparison.

Seriously.

Imran at his peak was the most desructive all rounder to have played the game.

Jadedja at his best is a fishmerman.

Gets the job done but not even close.

Laugable trolling and comparisons.
It's a joke I agree. Imran is tiers above jadeja.
In Asia absolutely I admit jadeja is brilliant. In Australia and w.indies too

But he failed bad in SA and average in England. Also mediocre in nz.

He has clear weakness vs swing as a batsman

His bowling is useless in grassy pitches or pitches that have any assistance

It's a joke I agree. Imran is tiers above jadeja.
In Asia absolutely I admit jadeja is brilliant. In Australia and w.indies too

But he failed bad in SA and average in England. Also mediocre in nz.

He has clear weakness vs swing as a batsman

His bowling is useless in grassy pitches or pitches that have any assistance

Jadeja has a 6-fer in SA vs ATG Saffers batting lineup.

Jadeja has a 6-fer in SA vs ATG Saffers batting lineup.
He took wickets after they piled on runs probably. Was this the 2013 series? Cause I do remember india almost losing a match after scoring 500 plus and allowing steyn to chase. He was just picking up cheap wickets

How did he do in 2021 series in SA? Can't remember. He played one game I think and failed?

It has to be Kallis. No doubt about it. Next in line would have been Imran Khan but he retired before I was even born so not my generation player. SO after Kallis, it will be Jadeja for the current generation poll.

He took wickets after they piled on runs probably. Was this the 2013 series? Cause I do remember india almost losing a match after scoring 500 plus and allowing steyn to chase. He was just picking up cheap wickets

How did he do in 2021 series in SA? Can't remember. He played one game I think and failed?

Just played one game. That pitch was so poor that SA got all out at 55. Game was over in 2 days and Jadeja wasn't even required to bowl even 1 over. With bat, he played one inning and got a duck. Hardly anything to make out of that game.

Just played one game. That pitch was so poor that SA got all out at 55. Game was over in 2 days and Jadeja wasn't even required to bowl even 1 over. With bat, he played one inning and got a duck. Hardly anything to make out of that game.
So basically untested in SA conditions.
Need to wait and see.

Complete flop show by Stokes this series, can't remember a failure of this magnitude by a visiting star player. He has to improve a lot in SC and Australia. Doesn't bowl these days.

Stokes is not worthy of lacing the boots of Ashwin and Jadeja as all-rounders.

They are probably better batsmen him too at this point.

Jadeja and Shakib both are better test all rounders than Stokes.

Stokes fails again with the bat @Mamoon

15th time he has fallen to Ashwin, his batting against spin is meme level now. This tour has done great damage to his test legacy, third tour to India and still unable to handle spin on a gentle day 3 pitch in Dharamsala.

Stokes fails again with the bat @Mamoon

15th time he has fallen to Ashwin, his batting against spin is meme level now. This tour has done great damage to his test legacy, third tour to India and still unable to handle spin on a gentle day 3 pitch in Dharamsala.

Ben Stokes faced 367 balls in 10 inning

Kuldeep Yadav faced 362 balls from 6 innings

Stokes, just relying on his batting, does not deserve a place in Eng team.

lol, this should be an eye opener.

Stokes is a mediocre cricketer. 90% of the matches that he has played testifies to this fact.

@Mobashir

Is the player you said was better than Kohli, Ashwin, Jadeja and Rohit?

Jadeja is past his peak but he is comfortably the best Test all rounder of the last decade.

Makes it purely for skills in 1 discipline and everything he adds with the bat is a big bonus.

Stokes won't make it purely as a batter or bowler.

Yes but I was wrong and you are right in saying that "Stokes is mediocre player".
Yes you were. Stokes doesn’t get into the Indian team but all those players that I mentioned walk into the England team.

Yes you were. Stokes doesn’t get into the Indian team but all those players that I mentioned walk into the England team.
Stokes is Lucky to have played 100 test matches, you said it :he is a mediocre player.

Now, what more do you want ?

Stokes is Lucky to have played 100 test matches, you said it :he is a mediocre player.

Now, what more do you want ?
That would be sufficient. Thanks for the acceptance. Stokes getting exposed was necessary.

This “generation” thing is vague and ambiguous. A cricket “generation” is different than a population generation. Imran, Kallis etc. are NOT this (cricket) generation. This generation is Stokes, Jadeja, Shakib, Shadab, Ashwin etc.

When we talk about the best the first name that comes to mind is Jaques Kallis. I don't think we will get anyone better than him in the next generation either.

80's 90's and even the 2000's had some very good all-rounders but again over the past decade or so it has been difficult due to excessive cricket. Obviously there were the great ones (Imran, Kapil, Botham, Kallis, Hadlee etc) but don't forget there were also good all-rounders like Chris Cairns, Razzak, Azhar Mahmood, Heath Streak, Daniel Vettori, Neli Johnson etc during that time. It will be hard to put down 10 names who can succeed with both bat and ball in this generation consistently.

Back